PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a good drink

Natural-J-Bankie
11-21-2001, 11:55 PM
I need some drinks. But, please:
No Gin
No Beer
No OpalAnyways, I've tried and liked all of these:
margarita, rum & coke, screwdriver, 7 & 7, red bull & vodka, white russian, bloody mary, adios motherf___er, vodka sour, tequila sunrise, long island iced tea, kamikazee, fuzzy navel, midori sour, cosmopolitan, sex on the beach, brain hemorrhage, mellonball, purple hooter, buttery nipple, and possibly other drinks I can't remember. As you can see, I'm easy to please.

I'm looking for a drink that I can make my regular drink, something that's not a "girly drink" which I fear most of the stuff I've listed is. Tell me what drink, whether it's on my list or not, should be my regular drink. I'm leaning towards the rum & coke.

I'm also looking to try new mixed drinks or shots that'll taste good, even if they are "girly." Nothing that I've already listed, or is mentioned in the other thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=88788). Preferably something with a cool name, like the brain hemorrhage. If you know, tell me how to make the drink too.

Ukulele Ike
11-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Natural-J-Bankie
I'm looking for a drink that I can make my regular drink

Memorial Day to Labor Day: Gin and tonic.

Labor Day to Memorial Day: Bourbon and soda.

Directions: pour a shot of the designated liquor over ice in a highball glass. Fill with the designated charged water. Lime optional in the G&T.

They don't have cute names, but they're classic.

rsa
11-22-2001, 12:17 AM
I can't imagine wanting my "regular drink" to be called something like a Brain Hemorrhage. You're young and a female, right? Rum and Coke would be fine for this point in your life. You might want to try a Rye and Seven since you like 7 & 7's. Rye has a bit more flavor than Canadian Wiskeys, but many bars won't have it.

Have you tried Scotch? It is an aquired taste, but if you can drink two or three, you'll probably aquire the taste.

Nothing wrong with a Cosmo. How about a Vodka and Cranberry? I'm a guy and I used to drink those; I don't think that they are too "girly".

Bottom line -- drink what you like and don't worry about your cocktail having a cool name or sounding too "girly" (unless you're not a girl, in which case just do shots of tequila with beer).

Monkey Chews
11-22-2001, 12:20 AM
White sambucca and coke.

Oh my lordy. You'll get some strange looks, but it's a treat. You can actually buy it ready-mixed in cans here in Australia.

It's a very manly girly drink.

ejrn
11-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Try a Vodka Gimlet. It is vodka with a splash of Rose's lime juice. Straight up or on the rocks. Very palatable, intoxicating, and sophisticated.

Reeder
11-22-2001, 12:37 AM
* Open a small package of any flavor jello into a bowl.
* Pour in 1 Cup boiling water.
* Stir to dissolve.
* Let cool to room temperature.
* Add 1 Cup of Vodka.
* Pour into mold or pan.
* Freeze until firm.
* Cut into individual servings.

enjoy slurping them down!

If you don't like vodka, any clear spirit will do.

Badtz Maru
11-22-2001, 12:39 AM
I recently tried mixing whiskey with amaretto on ice, half & half, and it was really good.

Natural-J-Bankie
11-22-2001, 12:41 AM
Apparently I wasn't clear. I want a regular drink that's not a girly drink. I do NOT consider the brain hemorrhage a regular drink.

In addition, I want fun other drinks, like the brian hemorrhage. I don't care if these are girly or not.

I'm looking for non-girly regular drinks cause I'm not a girl. I'm 22 and male.

I'll give the sambucca and coke a try, and also the rye and 7. I 've only tried one scotch, and it was very bad. Vodka & cranberry? tried that already, pretty good. Bourbon & soda? have to try that. Vodka gimlet? another one I have to try. Jello shots? Well I can't order those in a bar.

Bottom line -- drink what you like and don't worry about your cocktail having a cool name or sounding too "girly" (unless you're not a girl, in which case just do shots of tequila with beer).

Are you saying that guys should only drink beer and straight shots?

BTW, brain hemorrhage from Webtender (http://www.webtender.com):

Pour schnapps into a large shot glass (the measurements may be off a bit, you can experiment). Slowly pour irish cream into schnapps so that it basically forms a "brain" in "formaldahyde". Finally, dribble the grenadine (dribbling onto a spoon then into the schnapps helps) directly into the center of the irish cream mass . As the grenadine amount slowly increases it will eventually burst through the irish cream creating a "hemorrhaging brain".

Bedrosian Bixby
11-22-2001, 12:47 AM
I'm a black russian guy myself. Vodka and Kaluha is all one needs.

Bourbon and coke works, as does 7 and 7(Seagrams 7 and 7-up)

This may sound weird, but I also have a thing for Bacardi Reserve (the dark one) and rootbeer.

Chas.E
11-22-2001, 12:48 AM
I'm looking for a drink that I can make my regular drink, something that's not a "girly drink" which I fear most of the stuff I've listed is.
Jeez, I saw those drinks and I figured you were a woman. Real men drink whiskey or scotch without mixer. I recommend Jameson's Irish Whiskey on the rocks.

Genseric
11-22-2001, 01:02 AM
I drink four major drinks cycled according to mood and whim. White Russian, Vodka and Tonic, Rum and Coke, and Vodka Martini with lemon twist. I've also been known to drink Vodka and Sprite, but it's rare. Oh, and beer. I think I've created a drink once too. Based on the premise that a drink with Kahlua and Vodka is a "Russian" i.e. Black Russian, White Russian, I mixed Vodka, Kahlua, and Dr. Pepper and called it a "Dr. Zhivago", get it? A Russian Doctor..., Man I kill me. It was pretty good, too.

Earthling
11-22-2001, 01:07 AM
One word: caipirinha (http://www.maria-brazil.org/caip.htm) (pronounced cap-pe-REEN-ya). Its base liquor, cachaça (ka-SHA-za), is Brazil's version of rum.

Badtz Maru
11-22-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Earthling
One word: caipirinha (http://www.maria-brazil.org/caip.htm) (pronounced cap-pe-REEN-ya). Its base liquor, cachaça (ka-SHA-za), is Brazil's version of rum.

Love that stuff, get at least one every time I go to Fogo De Chao. They serve it on the rocks with sugar and crushed limes.

Essured
11-22-2001, 01:58 AM
For a regular drink, and considering that you love rum, have a rum and coke with lime. Adding a dash of lime really brings out the taste of the rum

For a fun drink, and considering that you like a brain haemorrhage, how about a chicken foetus ?

3/4 Sambuca
1/4 Baileys
then add a dash of cherry Advocaat
and a dash of straight Advocaat.

If you layer it properly, you end up with something that looks a little like a haemorrhage, but without the green, a lot more yellowish and a bit more dense at the base. In other words it looks pretty much disgusting.

Can we tell I used to be a bar wench ? Hmmm... second jobs we take when we need more money... :p

whatmove
11-22-2001, 02:00 AM
a couple of my ginless favorites
***comfortable screw against the wall: OJ, vodka, southern comfort, galliano
***grasshopper: green crème de menthe, white crème de cacao, milk

Next time you're in a bar, ask for a B52 shot; you'll like it.
If you don't like gin but want to, I suggest the Orchard Glen: half and half gin and apple juice (very smooth).

c'mon fellow male cocktail drinkers; together we can break the myth of the "girly drink"

Jocke
11-22-2001, 02:21 AM
Vodka or gin fizz are always good and can be ordered at most bars I think but why are the drinks girly?
Anyway if you don't want girly drinks , try the el diablo. It's really quite ok but involves tabasco which is the macho part=) Othervise tequila with salt and lemon is always good.

Tequila Mockingbird
11-22-2001, 02:34 AM
How about a Russian Qualude? Stoli, Bailey's and a splash of Frangelica shaken with ice then strained into a martini glass...mmmmmmmmmm. Or look up Bald Pussy and Tie Me To The Bedpost on Webtender. They are sweet, potent and have silly names. You could even try an Electric Lemonade. (Vodka, Blue Curacao and sweet and sour mix over ice in a tall glass was the way I always made em.) You should also try an Oatmeal Cookie shot. (Bailey's, Goldschlager and a touch of Frangelica - if you want the Raisin version, it's got a touch of Jaegermeister in it as well)

Genseric
11-22-2001, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Tequila Mockingbird
You could even try an Electric Lemonade. (Vodka, Blue Curacao and sweet and sour mix over ice in a tall glass was the way I always made em.)

I had one of these once. That was a manly drink. Giant glowing blue liquid in a curvy glass. I felt like I was in a Hemingway novel, or something. Tasted pretty good though.

VeraGemini
11-22-2001, 04:59 AM
The Banshee:

Pour 1 shot each creme de banana and white (clear) creme de cacao in a highball glass, then fill with milk.

I like them without the milk, served as shots, or with vanilla ice cream in place of the milk as a Frozen Banshee.

Yes, it's a girly drink :p

Natural-J-Bankie
11-22-2001, 06:03 AM
Some good suggestions, thanks all. Mmmm tabasco...gotta try that el diablo.

I just don't like the idea that men either drink beer or scotch or whiskey on the rocks. Very boring.

If that makes me less of a man, so be it. I think whatmove has it right. No more myth of "girly drinks." I'm gonna flaunt the rules and order fuzzy navels and sex on the beaches (is that the plural?). :D

Niobium Knight
11-22-2001, 06:08 AM
Highland Park (straight)

Bailey's and lemonade

Spit
11-22-2001, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Chas.E
I'm looking for a drink that I can make my regular drink, something that's not a "girly drink" which I fear most of the stuff I've listed is.
Jeez, I saw those drinks and I figured you were a woman......

Chas.E -You get 3 laughs for that! :D :D :D

To the OP:

As far as the drinks go...Screwdrivers are good. Just make sure they are using real orange juice, and not orange flavored stuff.

But, my personal favorite is a blue motorcycle. They taste GOOD. Too good in fact. It does have gin, but you can't taste it......And hell, after you drink half of a blue motorcycle, you won't care what they bring you. (LOTS of alcohol in a blue motorcycle)

I have a question about the beer. I assume you do not like beer? How many times have you tried it? I used to hate the stuff until I got a good buzz going with vodka, and ran out. All I had left was beer, so I drank it. After that I never had a problem drinking it again.

tarragon918
11-22-2001, 08:36 AM
I'd personally go with the 7 & 7; it's my favorite drink, although I don't drink much at all. *LOL* I think the last time I had one was my brother's wedding reception back in 96! You could also go with what they used to call a Highball, which is whiskey and gingerale. :)

Hope this helps ya!

~~tarragon~~

Chas.E
11-22-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by jcmckaig
As far as the drinks go...Screwdrivers are good. Just make sure they are using real orange juice, and not orange flavored stuff.
Ha.. You remind me of my first college girlfriend, she used to drink peppermint schnapps and Tang. No, not Tang mixed in water and used as a mixer, Tang powder mixed directly in the schnapps.

Spit
11-22-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Chas.E

Ha.. You remind me of my first college girlfriend, she used to drink peppermint schnapps and Tang. No, not Tang mixed in water and used as a mixer, Tang powder mixed directly in the schnapps.

That sounds.............Gross. Did you ever try any of this lethal brew?

bibliophile
11-22-2001, 12:51 PM
as far as i'm concerned, you can never go wrong with a good vodka tonic.
malibu and hawaiian punch isn't bad either
and how about a toasted almond?

glass onion
11-22-2001, 12:55 PM
First I want to smash this "Girly" myth, if a drink tastes nice, I want to drink it.

My personal favourites are

Guinness stout, Heiniken Beer, Bacardi Rum & Coke w/ ice.

For coctails I love Vodka & Tia Maria mixed with Coke and a dash of Draught Guinness....smooth and creamy...mmmhmm.

Also nice is a "Pink Fluff". This is Peach Schnapps and Baileys(or any Irish cream, except the one with the mint in, euch!) mixed with Pineapple Juice and and some Grenadine to colour, given a good shake to get the Fluff!!

Now theres a "girly" drink, but it's damn nice.

yojimbo
11-22-2001, 12:57 PM
Guinness. That's the answer. Just plain olde stout.

You'll have to come over here to Ireland everytime you want a decent pint but that's not too much to ask now is it ;)

Failing that I'd go with a Jameson on the rocks.

Natural-J-Bankie
11-22-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jcmckaig
I have a question about the beer. I assume you do not like beer? How many times have you tried it? I used to hate the stuff until I got a good buzz going with vodka, and ran out. All I had left was beer, so I drank it. After that I never had a problem drinking it again.

Primarily, I just wanted to focus on non-beer drinks. I've had my share of beer, tried Bud, Corona, Sam Adams, Heineken, Guinness and a few local varieties. I like Corona, Heineken and Guinness, but I've had bad experiences with Sam Adams, and I really don't like skanky keg beer. Sometime it just depends on my mood. Though most of the time I couldn't care less if it was Bud Light or Guinness. Ok, that's not quite true, but the quality of beer isn't terribly important to me. I don't hate beer, but I don't like it enough to consider it a great drink, just more appropriate at times.

As for gin, my worst bad experience involved mostly gin, so unless you absolutely cannot taste the gin, I probably won't enjoy it.

Originally posted by Niobium Knight
Bailey's and lemonade

Is it me, or does that just sound nasty?

Essured
11-22-2001, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by bibliophile

I'll raise you one. Vodka, lemon, lime and bitters. Mmmmmm.

Nortia
11-22-2001, 05:13 PM
How about a Flatliner?

1/2 a shot of tequila
some drops of tabasco
1/2 a shot of sambuca

Fretful Porpentine
11-22-2001, 05:54 PM
Bailey's and lemonade

Is it me, or does that just sound nasty? [/B]
I'm guessing that N.K. means "lemonade" in the British sense, i.e. Sprite or a similar carbonated beverage.

It still sounds kind of unpleasant to me (I don't like sweet drinks), but at least it wouldn't make the Bailey's congeal. Ugh.

MannyL
11-23-2001, 04:02 PM
Alright, I had this at a wedding, and while I'm not a big drinker it's my drink of choice, but you get some strange looks sometimes ordering it. It's called a WHOO-WHOO

1/3rd Cranbery Juice
1/3rd Peach Schnapps
1/3rd Vodka

Niobium Knight
11-23-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Fretful Porpentine
Bailey's and lemonade

Is it me, or does that just sound nasty?
I'm guessing that N.K. means "lemonade" in the British sense, i.e. Sprite or a similar carbonated beverage.

It still sounds kind of unpleasant to me (I don't like sweet drinks), but at least it wouldn't make the Bailey's congeal. Ugh. [/B]

why what is lemonade in USA?

btw it does make it congeal. heheh!

SpartanDC
11-24-2001, 12:17 AM
An amaretto sour, made properly, can be an amazing drink. The same goes for a good white Russian, which is much easier for an amateur to properly mix than an amaretto sour. I know because I can make a mean Caucasian, but my amaretto sours have left much to be desired. If you want a good one, go to an extremely classy bar. The best one I ever had (and, for that matter, the best mixed drink I've ever had), was at the bar of an expensive restaurant in midtown Manhattan as my date and I waited to be seated.

Bluesman
11-24-2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by bibliophile
malibu and hawaiian punch isn't bad either
and how about a toasted almond?

Malibu Rum and Hawaiian Punch?!?!?! Man, throw in a splash of pineapple juice, and you have a Bluesman Low-Budget Hurricane, there! (Yummy, and gits them panties off yer date faster than scenes of Leonardo drowning heroically.)

Oh, and the manliest drink that has not been mentioned yet is the brain-cell killin', bail-money losin', explain to the wife through a locked front door at three in the mornin', the one - the only - the reigning champ of lost car keys and friendships --- SOJU!

Hell, the entire Korean War can be traced to Kim il Sung on a weekend bender with a combat bottle (a military term for the exact measurement of soju needed to burn a wet mule (standard size), or to give an infantry battalion (plus support elements) career problems and a three-day hangover).

On the side of each bottle, there's a warning label that reads:
"Are you trying to prove something, man? Put the bottle down, and back slowly away. Billy, don't be a hero."

Unfortunately, it's in Korean, but I've tried to warn you, haven't I?

Slithy Tove
11-24-2001, 02:30 AM
Sadly, Bluesman, I've soldiered soju, both green and clear, and to paraphrase Lloyd Bentson: "I knew vodka, I served in the senate with vodka. Vodka was a friend. You, soju, are no vodka."

As for the OP; I counsel you to stock your liquor tantalus as liberally as these wealth of posts suggest ($600 should do it). If lonely, imbibe of the colorfully-hued liquors - my preference is for Pernod and tonic, a drink that serves to make this world an at least temporarily rational place. If convivial, serve your fellows and yourself with the most golden-blooded drinks: straight whiskey/whisky/rum/tequilla, always, always with a good toast (Steinbeck's "over the river, boys" is one of my favorites). And, if hungry, by all means reach for the Guinness - it's the beer that eats like a meal!

D Marie
11-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by MannyL
Alright, I had this at a wedding, and while I'm not a big drinker it's my drink of choice, but you get some strange looks sometimes ordering it. It's called a WHOO-WHOO

1/3rd Cranbery Juice
1/3rd Peach Schnapps
1/3rd Vodka
I had something very much like this this weekend, when my friend (who usually drinks Cosmopolitans) asked the bartender to suggest something similar, yet different. However, the bartender called this drink a "Royal Flush." It was served on the rocks in a martini glass.

Neurotik
11-25-2001, 09:44 PM
OK, time for Neurotik's alcohol picks:

Sticking with the OP's request for ginless and beerless (there go my usual starters) I would recommend the Glass Tower for a regular drink:

1 oz vodka
1 oz Southern Comfort
1 oz Triple Sec
1 oz dark rum
1/2 oz Sambuca

in a tall glass with ice, then fill with lemon-lime soda. Good stuff. Mess you up, too.

Now for the fun drinks:

Screaming Nazi - 3/4 shot Jaegermeister, 1/4 shot Rumpleminz 100 proof peppermint Schnapps.

You said you liked tabasco, but these might be too painful:

Prairie Fire - 4/5 shot of tequila, 1/5 shot of tabasco
Buffalo Sweat - 4/5 shot of bourbon, 1/5 shot of tabasco

And one of my favorites:

Irish Carbomb - order a half pint of Guiness and a shot of half Bailey's and half Jameson's separate. Take the shot and drop it into the Guiness. Proceed to chug as quickly as you can before the Bailey's curdles. It'll taste kinda like chocolate milk, and can also mess you up.

cthulhu
11-25-2001, 09:47 PM
Bailey's and lemonade

That reminds me of a drink introduced to me by a roommate, called a "cement mixer":

Pour half a shot of Bailey's into your mouth
Pour an equal amount of lime juice into your mouth
(swish, swish, swish, swallow) -- not for the faint of heart

Anyway, i'm surprised i haven't seen Dr. Jack: Dr. Pepper and Jack Daniels

peepthis
11-25-2001, 11:08 PM
A bartender giving his two cents:

Any place that makes them, I'll order a mojito. A Cuban drink made with light rum, lime juice, sugar, fresh mint leaves, and soda water. Delicious, refreshing, and you'll never know what hit ya! (In a pinch I'll second the caipirinha, which is related to the mojito, but sans mint and, as mentioned, using cachaca).

For places without mint, I always go for an Alabama Slammer: Sloe Gin, Creme de Almond (aka Creme de Noyeux), Southern Comfort, and organge juice. I swear by it.

And as a bartender, there are some drinks listed on this thread I've never even heard of before. Perhaps they're regional, but in my experience lotsa people who order drinks with stupid names have no idea what's in them. I'll make something wacky for ya if you tell me what's in it, but will get ticked if you're wasting my time with something you don't even know the contents of. So try to make it at least moderately mainstream if you want to make it your drink, meaning you can order it hassle-free at any bar you visit.

Genseric
11-25-2001, 11:17 PM
why what is lemonade in USA?

It's a sweetened non-carbonated lemon juice flavored drink, typically made from powdered drink mix, sugar, and water.

I had no idea UK lemonade was different from USA lemonade, either.

Neurotik
11-25-2001, 11:24 PM
Powdered? Yuck.

What you do is go to your backyard and grab some lemons off the lemon tree. Juice 'em, add some sugar and a bit of water and you are good to go.

Gaudere
11-25-2001, 11:29 PM
I'd go for the ever-classic Manhattan (the drink, not the Mod, though both are quite classy). Two parts bourbon, one of sweet vermouth and two dashes of bitters. Go easy on the sweet vermouth if you want it tougher (I prefer just a dash), and you can substitute brandy for bourbon if, like as it is for me, it is a family tradition. Order it with olives instead of a cherry, too. Just say, "Manhattan, easy on the sweet vermouth, with an olive." As manly as the borough that it took its name from, yet not quite as daunting as straight whiskey, and any bartender in any bar can make a halfway decent one. You want to go bad-ass, get a Rob Roy made with scotch and a smidge of dry vermouth and bitters, but it's not exactly a standard drink since you'll have to explain the recipe to nearly every bartender.

The Mojito and Capirinha are delicious for rum-drinkers, but good luck getting a decent one at your average bar. If you want a standard drink, it's best not to rely on something that requires nonstandard liquours or "fresh" anything. The Cuba Libre is a wonderful variation on the rum and coke, with 1.5 oz rum, .5 oz. gin, and half a lime topped off with Coke. But all of these will be regularly butchered by most bartenders, so I wouldn't pick them for a standard. Save them for a classy hotel bar, where the bartender displays his juicer and Cointreau prominently.

Genseric
11-25-2001, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Neurotik
Powdered? Yuck.

What you do is go to your backyard and grab some lemons off the lemon tree. Juice 'em, add some sugar and a bit of water and you are good to go.

Well, I did say typically. I don't much like it either way.

Sweet 'Sota Girl
11-26-2001, 12:07 AM
Ok, I only skimmed the posts, but I don't think I saw these two mentioned...

If you liked the Bacardi rum & coke, try a Malibu rum & coke and/or a Captain Morgan coke.

This weekend one of my SO's family members told me try Malibu and Baileys mixed, but I haven't yet.

That's my 2 pennies worth...

Genseric
11-26-2001, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Devil May Care

If you liked the Bacardi rum & coke, try a Malibu rum & coke and/or a Captain Morgan coke.

Just one note, beware the Captain! We have a saying amongst my friends and I. "Arrr! The Captain done shanghaied me!" I drank a liter bottle of Captain Morgan one weekend about two months ago. Holy crap was I fucked up! I woke up at 10:30 in the morning on my bathroom floor.

I don't recommend it.

Dirty Earthworm
11-26-2001, 12:37 AM
If you can regularly drink glasses (not shots) of Liquid Cocaine (Goldschlager, Jaegermeister, and SoCo I believe, but maybe Black Velvet? clarification would be appreciated if necessary) then you sir are a bigger man than I.

I take a shot and it hurts like hell. Good stuff though. Pleasant aftertaste. And if that's not a "man's drink," I don't know what is.

-Syko

Bossk
11-26-2001, 05:41 AM
In a 12oz. ice-filled tumbler, load two parts Applejack, one part bourbon, fill with lemon sour. YUMMY!

And then there is the legal Rohypnol, the Washington Apple......in an 8oz. glass, pour two parts vodka, one part Sour Apple Pucker, fill with cranberry juice. This goes down smoother than water. Though, be prepared for vomiting, as nobody can drink just one.

Jervoise
11-26-2001, 07:28 AM
Something I haven't seen anyone post on yet: Vodka and... Musk.

I'm not sure what they would be called outside Australia, but Down Here we have small bright pink candies (Life Savers) flavoured with musk (called, oddly enough, 'Musk'). For an interesting shooter, dump about 8 packets of this type of candy (they come in small rolls - like mints) into a bottle of vodka.

They take several hours to dissolve, but when they're all gone you'll have a bright pink, sweetly-flavoured bottle of vodka. Normally, I cannot stomach undiluted shooters of vodka... but musk-vodka - mmm-mmm!

Alternative: substitute the musk for peppermints, or anything else sweet and soluble. I've heard good thing about Mars Bar-vodka... :)

Jervoise
11-26-2001, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by cthulhu
That reminds me of a drink introduced to me by a roommate, called a "cement mixer":

Pour half a shot of Bailey's into your mouth
Pour an equal amount of lime juice into your mouth
(swish, swish, swish, swallow) -- not for the faint of heart

[/B]

I've heard of this drink... but only as a prank to pull on first-year students at uni. I heard (I avoid anything with Baileys like the creamy-plague it is), when one does the 'swish, swish', the lime juice curdles the milky Baileys. Result: uni pub full of vomiting freshers :p.

Neurotik
11-26-2001, 10:17 AM
I'll be honest...I enjoy the cement mixer. It's not that bad, although it sounds quite horrible.

cthulhu
11-26-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Neurotik

I'll be honest...I enjoy the cement mixer. It's not that bad, although it sounds quite horrible.
Yeah, but it still makes a great party trick--nobody else will be willing to try it!

JavaMaven1
11-26-2001, 02:33 PM
Well, some of my favorite drinks have already been mentioned, but there's a few that I haven't seen yet.

Lemon Drop: Absolut Citron, Lemon Juice, a bit of sugar, shaken with ice and served in a martini glass.

Absolut Currant Cosmo: basic cosmo, but made with Absolut Currant. Gives it a really lovely berry flavor.

Godfather Scotch & Amaretto

richman2
11-26-2001, 02:58 PM
My favorite is one called
Leap Into An Open Grave

I ask for it at every bar with a hot girl bartending.
Unfortunately, it's fictional, being Carla's "whammy" drink on Cheers.

Pablito
11-26-2001, 06:08 PM
This may not be exactly what you've asked for, but I'm guessing you'll enjoy impressing the girls with your saviore faire at the next mixer with this:

In a new, big, rubber trash can---
fill halfway with everclear or some cheap-ass vodka;
add water to about 4/5 of the way to the top;
add several packs of the sugarless, unsweetened kool-aid mix.
Stir until everything is nice and purple. Just before the girls arrive, top off the container with a few boxes of Captain Crunch cereal. Provide big dippers, big paper cups, loud music, and barely enough light. Have fun.

Don't try this at home--your parents will hate the vomit stains on the carpet.

When you tire of this, go to bloody marys or margaritas before 5pm; and in the evening, drink vodka tonics, or scotch on the rocks, or, if you like something sweet, a white Russian (vodka, amaretto, milk on ice).

Or, don't worry about what "your drink" is. Just take a dozen years or so and try different things. You'll wind up gravitating to a few that you really like best, independent of what anyone else thinks.