PDA

View Full Version : How many spiders do we eat in one night?

LemonGrl
01-14-2000, 03:39 PM
I heard that it's 12. If anyone can give me a website with documented proof of this, I'd appreciate it a lot. THANKS! =)

------------------
"I sink, therefore I swam."

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-14-2000, 03:48 PM
Actually the number is more like 8 in a lifetime.

That has been "proved" a number of times in a number of well-circulated "Internet lists."

Boris B
01-14-2000, 03:51 PM
I think this is a weird urban legend derived from facts about dust mites. Mites are arachnids, hence the mistaken connection to spiders. Mites live in our bedclothes, eating dust which is created by decomposing flesh. Mmmmm mmm I wish I were a dust mite. Anyway, the theory is that, in your sleep, you might actually inhale or swallow sum. Getting dust mite excrement in your nose is the cause of certain allergies.

So I don't think there will be any links to sites about nocturnal spider eating. Could be wrong though.

Elmer J. Fudd
01-14-2000, 03:55 PM
I think the confusion arises from the fact that spiders come in packs of 8, yet the little crackers you put them on for snacking come in packs of 12.

------------------
Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

Eve
01-14-2000, 04:00 PM
Well, I'm having a plateful tonight, but it's a long weekend . . .

Boris B
01-14-2000, 04:01 PM
Hey Elmer, have you seen those new "cracker-length spiders"? I want some of those. I'm sick of the spiders hanging off the edges of the cracker all the time.

Elmer J. Fudd
01-14-2000, 04:09 PM
I don't know, Boris. I kind of like nibbling off the overhanging appendages before biting into the main course. I especially like it when I discover a forgoten spider leg stuck between my teeth several hours later. It's the kind of snack you can enjoy twice.

------------------
Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

Doctor Jackson
01-14-2000, 04:27 PM
My personal record is 768. In all honesty, though, I must qualify that feat:

1. It was the winter solstice, so the night was real long, and;
2. I ate just spiders, no dip or side dishes, and;
3. they were small spiders. If they were, like, you know, tarantulas, or something, I probably could not have eaten more than 50.

------------------
The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. -- E. Grebenik

funneefarmer
01-14-2000, 04:47 PM
Fried tarantula legs with a nice dipping sauce... mmmmmmm

Beruang
01-14-2000, 04:49 PM
Creeping ever so slowly back towards the OP...

I coulda swore Unca Cece covered this, but I can't find it. Anyway, I'd heard that this figure is an aggregate amount. We don't actually swallow whole spiders, but various spider parts that are part of the usual flotsam and jetsam of house dust. Over the course of (a year? a lifetime?) one inhales the equivalent of x number of spiders.

------------------

handy
01-14-2000, 05:00 PM
Isn't dust 80% human skin? How many people a year do we eat?

aenea
01-14-2000, 05:01 PM
Eeeuuuuwwwwww! Yuckk!

Beruang
01-14-2000, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by handy:

How many people a year do we eat?

Just one, every night she's in town. :D

------------------
"The dawn of a new era is felt and not measured." Walter Lord

Lord Jim
01-14-2000, 07:44 PM
If you eat the same person multiple times, do you get a cumulative total? If so, lots! ;)

OldBroad
01-14-2000, 08:14 PM
Kinda like fried calamari. Love those crunchy little tentacles!

handy
01-14-2000, 08:16 PM
You bed, however clean it is, is FULL Of dust mites. You eat them when you sleep. Yummy, kinda like a side dish to humans.

Cooper
01-14-2000, 08:28 PM
If this is the kind of knowledge that science brings us, I want no part of it. I'm ready to go back to the dark ages now, if it means I don't have to know about dust mites.

LemonGrl
01-15-2000, 10:21 PM
*gives everyone who posted an amused look* Well, thanks everyone, for your exciting and interesting answers.

------------------
"I sink, therefore I swam."

01-16-2000, 05:04 AM
Someone above asked: How many people do we eat? said in jest.

Since each of us is made of atoms that have been around since the big bang, we are actually somewhere about 12 billion or so years of age. When we consume dairy products, meat, vegetables or fruit we are most assuredly consuming atoms that were once in living people. Therefore in reality, we do eat people.

Lucretia
01-16-2000, 10:52 AM
Nutritious and delicious, tastes just like Spam!

StrTrkr777
01-16-2000, 02:21 PM
I would hate to think I had 4-5 spiders for each person in my house to be swallowed a night.

Let's do the math for fun.

What is the life expectancy of a spider? How often does it breed?

There are currently 3 people living in my house.

So I need a minimum of 12 spiders a night. I think the gestation period of a spider would likely be at least a few weeks. Lets go for 4 just for grins.

So, 12 spiders per night, for a week yields 84 spiders a week. Times 4 weeks for the creation of new spiders would be 336 spiders for the month, till new ones arrive. That's 4,368 spiders for the year. Dang it where are all those spiders hiding? I do not see them in the basement, I do not see them under the bed, I do not see them in the closet.

I think someone has seen Arachnaphobia (sp) too many times.

Jeffery

funneefarmer
01-16-2000, 05:17 PM
As a side note flowery, is haging with friends some new sex slang I'm unaware of ?

handy
01-16-2000, 06:40 PM
So vegetarians aren't if they been eating dust mites.

tom, I didn't think about it that way, but you are right, mites are spiders. That must be the missing clue we all needed.

\1mite \"mit\ noun [ME, fr. OE mite; akin to MD mite mite, small copper coin and perh. to OHG meizan to cut] (bef. 12c)
: any of numerous small acarid arachnids that often infest animals, plants, and stored foods and include important disease vectors

(C)1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved.

Lord Jim
01-16-2000, 06:59 PM
Handy, this is the 3rd post on this topic.

Originally posted by Boris B:
I think this is a weird urban legend derived from facts about dust mites. Mites are arachnids, hence the mistaken connection to spiders. Mites live in our bedclothes, eating dust which is created by decomposing flesh. Mmmmm mmm I wish I were a dust mite. Anyway, the theory is that, in your sleep, you might actually inhale or swallow sum. ...

Seems Boris has already introduced the dust mite posibility a while ago.

I agree, it is the only logical posibility for such a number per night. I hate spiders and if there were that many around, I'm fairly sure I would have known about it.

Actually, I just wanted to try out the Reply w/Quote feature.

fLoWeRcHiLdGenerationY
01-17-2000, 12:17 AM
my friend & I were talking about this in school, after he saw it on a TV documentary on spiders or something, and he said that we swallow an average of 4-5 spiders a night - well, that's what the TV show said.

------------------
I'm not weird, I'm just Gifted...okay, so I'm weird too...
~I'm 15, people, but don't doubt my intelligence~
*fLoWeR cHiLd, 2nd generation...
"Im not opinionated, Im just always right." (c)Me

tomndebb
01-17-2000, 12:25 AM
Unless there is a possibility that the TV show meant (as the speculation above went) dust mites=arachnids==>(treat as spiders), there is simply no way that most people eat 4 - 5 actual spiders in a night.

(Hint: you can almost trust us in high humor more safely than you can trust most TV information.)

------------------
Tom~