PDA

View Full Version : monkeys and typewriters

dleone
01-18-2000, 11:46 PM
Anyone know the origin and correct wording of the quote about putting monkeys in front of a typewriter? I think it's something about writing a Hemingway novel.

SterlingNorth
01-19-2000, 12:16 AM
I can't answer that question, but apparantly a lot of people made monkey/typewriter quotes.
http://www.research.att.com/~reeds/monkeys.html

SterlingNorth
01-19-2000, 12:21 AM
Of course neuro-trash grrrl uses my favorite version in her signature.

"An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world's great works of literature in Braille."

neuro-trash grrrl
01-19-2000, 12:29 AM
Yes, it was a tossup between that and "It has been said that a million monkeys on a million keyboards would eventually produce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know it isn't true."

------------------
An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world's great works of literature in Braille.

neuro-trash grrrl
01-19-2000, 12:31 AM
Note: Please insert the word "typing" between the word "monkeys" and the word "on" in the above posting. It will eliminate a few connotations that were completely unintended on my part. Thank you, good night.

------------------
An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world's great works of literature in Braille.

SterlingNorth
01-19-2000, 02:06 AM
Actually, neuro, I think the former holds pretty much true on the internet now.

Sam Stone
01-19-2000, 02:36 AM
If an infinite number of Monkeys were in a room with an infinite number of typewriters... The smell would be incredible.

Jinx
01-20-2000, 08:49 AM
Hey, haven't you heard of that intellectual, Rheed's monkey? Just kidding!