PDA

View Full Version : Relationships between elementary school age children

LemonGrl
01-18-2000, 11:47 AM
Where can I find a good source that explains the relationships (positive and negative) between elementary school students and the long term effects?

------------------
"I sink, therefore I swam."

LemonGrl
01-18-2000, 05:02 PM
I'm doing a project on Project Adventure, a physical education program that stimulates trust and leadership in elementary school aged children, and my research topic is how relationships between children are, and how the program can benefit them and affect them throughout their lives.

------------------

TBone2
01-18-2000, 05:20 PM
The long term effects of what? The effects of relationships between schoolchildren?

Your question makes no sense. Maybe you could try again?

LemonGrl
01-18-2000, 06:34 PM
yeah, I guess you're right. hehe.
What sort of relationships-
Dammit, I give up. Someone just delete this thread.

------------------

kylen
01-18-2000, 06:41 PM
See Grl, Classic Dominant Challenge - you backed down at the slightest sign of bullying (no need to stick your neck out) - just like by the swingset in grade 3. Schoolyard interaction and conditioning has saved you a lot of hassle on this here board. If only DaneH had the same conditioning :P...

Cartooniverse
01-18-2000, 07:39 PM
No way. Don't slam her because her syntax was in error. Close your eyes, and you can think of at least one name from elementary school- IMMEDIATELY. A person who /traumatized/impressed/idolized( or was idolized by you/befriended.
I can think of three immediately. One was my ace pal in the 3rd grade. Came over, fell off of a jungle gym onto his head, lost all memories for almost a month. Two, a kid who beat me up regularly. Died in a jail cell, hung by his own belt 8 years later. Three, the geeky skinny redhead whose artistic skills even then were beyond impressive, well into the fantastically gifted areas.
It's the place where we all learn how to find our place in the world. Instead of flaming Lemon, does anyone have a link on some research for her ????

Cartooniverse

p.s. I remember all 3 names, but the Internet,she is a small party with few attendees- never know who's out there.

------------------
If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Cartooniverse
01-18-2000, 07:43 PM
And now for something completely different. Lemon, try both the NEA web site, and the AFT web site. These are the two dominant Teaching Unions in this country. They may very well list research sources on educational papers.
Just a thought. If I knew how to type out a hyperlink here, I would have been glad to do the legwork, and just give you the links to the NEA ( Nat'l Education Ass'n) and the AFT ( American Federation of Teachers).

Cartooniverse

------------------
If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

01-18-2000, 07:43 PM
At this point I think that relationships amongst elementary school kids are nasty. But this is just after another hour on the phone with the principal, after Middle Home came home crying (again) from school, due to children on the playground calling him "gay" and "shithead" and a bunch of other nice things.

I wonder what would happen if I sent him up to school with a hired bodyguard?

-Melin

Valerieblaise
01-18-2000, 10:44 PM
I wonder what would happen if I sent him up to school with a hired bodyguard?

The evil little tyrants would find a moment of weakness and pounce on Middle Son mercilessly. Unfortunately, protective parents are a sign of weakness to playground bullies. You're better off teaching the kid that it's ok to hit in self defense, but to avoid it if at all possible. Also, when your son comes home after an afternoon of physical or emotional torment, don't ask him what he did to provoke it OR tell him what he should have done to prevent it. He's already going to be miserable.

Sorry that I can't offer more advice, I've blocked out most those memories pretty well. :)

------------------
"I'll tell you a secret, baby - maybe you can't do better - gotta settle for second best" - the Judybats

Jois
01-18-2000, 10:59 PM
Where can I find a good source that explains the relationships (positive and
negative) between elementary school students and the long term effects?

The Gesell Institute (The spelling is close) has been studying children for decades they have published thier data many times and you can probably get the most recent update at the library.

The last one I read had children to children, children to teacher, children to parent relationships so when you find the right place in the library look at all of them and be sure to get the latest whatever it is.

In their studies they have found that children develop the same general attitudes, feelings, fears,and so on...the differences between their first survey/study and the second one were surprisingly few.

If you can't find it email me and I'll see if my copy is still alive and well.

------------------
Oh, I'm gonna keep using these #%@&* codes 'til I get 'em right.

aha
01-19-2000, 12:28 AM
Anything in particular you want to know?
aha <-------Elementary teacher for 21 years.

------------------
"I think it speaks to the duality of man sir."
(private Joker in Full Metal Jacket)

SqrlCub
01-19-2000, 10:20 AM
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000117/od/health_brats_2.html

This may help.

HUGS!
Sqrl

------------------
Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

LemonGrl
01-19-2000, 07:11 PM
Wow, you guys, thanks a lot! I backed down 'cause I realized my question didn't make much sense, and then I didn't know how to make it make sense, and then I just lost my way. Anyway, thanks for all your help! MMMMWAA! :)

------------------

Lord Jim
01-19-2000, 09:49 PM
LemonGrl, I'm glad you didn't give up. The question made sense to me, although a little clarification may have been needed. I assumed you meant relationships with each other in elementary school as opposed to with teacher or parent, etc. And I assumed the "long term effects" meant "... of those relationships". If I'm correct, it didn't seem that hard to figure out.

I really don't have much to add except to say your question seemed very valid and there is no reason, that I know of, not to expect an answer.

I could relate a early high school story of a friendship that, with a 25 year gap, had a rather large impact on my family, but it's rather long and isn't an elementary school story and I don't know that you are even looking for individual stories anyway.

Anyway, hang in there, I'm sure you will get all the info you need.

JimB

LemonGrl
01-20-2000, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the offer, Jim, and you are right about what I meant in my original question. I need research and documents and that kinda junk. Though I'd love to hear your story if you'd like to share! :) And thanks to everyone else- I got some really great stuff! <3

------------------