PDA

View Full Version : Deer Warning Horns - Do They Work?

DAVEW0071
01-20-2000, 01:37 PM
Just don't install them backwards or you'll have every deer in the county chasing your car!

------------------
The Dave-Guy
"since my daughter's only half-Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?" J.H. Marx

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-20-2000, 01:57 PM
I hate saying something like this without having a cite or source, but. . .

"Some organization" tested them out a few years ago, and found that they didn't do anything.

Tymp
01-20-2000, 02:09 PM
DAVEW0071,

I'm really enjoying that mental image. Thank you.

Crystalguy
01-20-2000, 02:14 PM
I had one on a car when I lived in South Dakota. I hit and killed a deer so I concluded that it didn't work.

Scylla
01-20-2000, 02:16 PM
I can state the following with absolute certainty:

either:

1) They don't work.

2) The deer I hit with my new car just before Thanksgiving was deaf.

3) They do work and above/mentioned deer committed suicide.

Evidence available upon request (photographic)

------------------
Often wrong.... NEVER in doubt

Sweet Basil
01-20-2000, 02:50 PM
I can only add to this that Iowa State Patrol cars are equiped with "deer whistles". I use them only because if they DO work, I'll be glad I had them. Sort of like if Y2K disasters DID occur, I would've been glad I had that bottled water. If they DON'T work, at least they're cheap and don't stick out much.

Sweet Basil

SavageNarce
01-20-2000, 03:28 PM
A good friend's sister mounted them on her car about a week before she hit a deer and virtually demolished the front end of the car - deer whistles and all. When she got out of the hospital, she decided not to repeat the experiment.

------------------
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 15 tons.
-Popular Mechanics, 1949

frolix8
01-20-2000, 04:06 PM
They work about as well as all the other ultrasonic repellers on the market. When did it become the rule that you can sell virtually anything as long as it doesn't do harm and you offer a money back guarantee? Seems like it was a court case involving a baldness cure that set the precedent. Anybody know?

Cabbage
01-20-2000, 04:09 PM
It seems like I read this somewhere, then again, I may have just made it up. To be honest, I'm not really sure. Anyway, it seems I heard that the horns can frighten nearby deer, causing them to panic. In other words, whereas the deer may simply pause and watch a horn-less car go by, a horned car may cause the deer to panic, try to flee, cross the road, and hit your car.

AskNott
01-20-2000, 06:01 PM
The claim of the whistle makers is that the gadget does not scare the deer away, but makes them stand still while they try to figure out what the noise was. If they happen to be standing on the road at the time, you might well hit them. On the other hand, the devices might not work at all. Deer are not especially bright or predictable, so it's impossible to say if we're hitting only the dumbest ones.

------------------
AskNott

Harmonious Discord
01-20-2000, 06:56 PM
No.

Jinx
01-21-2000, 12:19 AM
I don't get it, acoustically. These little gadgets are supposed to produce an ultrasonic sound to scare deer. They come packs of two.
Some have no openings through which air can pass to establish a sound - as far as I know. It could be the air rushing by the sides producing a tone - not sure.

The package has no directions, and there is no specific distance the two "horns" should be placed. If the two horns work together, then the distance between them should not be arbitrary. OTOH, the two might work independently of each other. Any thoughts on this?

JoeyBlades
01-21-2000, 12:56 AM
My dad has a couple of these mounted on the bumper of his pick'em'up truck. He hasn't hit a deer yet. What more proof do you need?

Of course, come to think of it, he never hit a dear before he had the deer sirens mounted either.

All of the ones I've seen have a small hole and they supposedly work on the same principle as a dog whistle - high frequency squeal that only deer can hear.

Jinx
01-21-2000, 12:59 AM
Must be deer music...I wouldn't understand!

AskNott
01-21-2000, 03:18 AM
I've been pondering this since my previous post. I guess it's akin to the eyes and snarling teeth on traditional fishing boats. Do they ward off misfortune? Who knows? Many old-time fisherman paint the amulets on their boats anyway. Maybe we should double up, and cover all bases. Paint wolf teeth on the deer whistles, glue a St. Chris between them, stick a mezuzzah (sp) next to the car door. By the way, I called the folks who make the deer whistles to ask if just one whistle would work. The chap said the two whistles make two different frequencies, so you need both. As amulets go, they're pretty cheap. Have you priced a mojo hand lately? ;)

------------------
AskNott