PDA

View Full Version : Popsicle products

05-31-1999, 01:20 PM
Two questions on "old" POPSICLE products. In the 60s there was a DREAMSICLE & a CREAMSICLE. What's the difference. It's NOT the flavor/color. Old ads show both in orange. Second, can you still get ROOT BEER popsicles?

05-31-1999, 01:58 PM
The only place in Southern California that I've been able to find rootbeer and banana popsicles on a regular basis is at almost any drive-thru dairy. They come in plain brown boxes and our family has been buying them that way since the 60s. One of the pleasures of having a sore throat when I was a kid was all the rootbeer and banana popsicles I wanted.

05-31-1999, 02:29 PM
I think CREAMSICLES had ice cream in the middle but DREAMSICLES had ice milk.

06-01-1999, 03:30 PM
I've also heard the ice cream/ice milk distinction.

On a related note, does anyone remember something called a "sidewalk sundae"? It was vanilla ice cream inside a chocolate shell, but at the very center was cherry flavored ice cream.

06-01-1999, 03:45 PM
Gilligan, you're right. Cecil answered this in one of his books.

06-01-1999, 04:23 PM
I remember "sidewalk sundaes". I recall a chocolate-fudge center rather than cherry, though.

06-01-1999, 05:36 PM
Of course you can still get root beer popsicles. Fill a Dixie cup with root beer, stick a spoon or something in it, and leave it in the freezer for a few hours. Sheesh.

06-02-1999, 09:21 AM
Torq, Papa - You're both right. Sidewalk sundaes had two varieties, cherry center and chocolate-fudge center. Can't imagine though why anyone would choose the cherry center when chocolate-fudge was an option. The king of cheap frozen dairy and imitation chocolate desserts is and will ever be the "Choco Taco". Ahhh, memories!

------------------
The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. -- E. Grebenik

06-02-1999, 10:37 AM
Screw you all, I want a Fudgsicle ;)

------------------
All Hail Unca Cecil, or the next best thing available!

06-07-1999, 02:41 AM
*I* want the ice cream, or maybe ice milk, that I got at Shea Stadium when I was a kid (in the seventies). A shallow cardboard cup, one half vanilla, one half chocolate (not two hemispheres, but a yin-yang symbol), and a wooden paddle to eat it with. Mr. Rilch makes fun of me for craving this, but memories are memories.

------------------
Remember, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.
---Red Green

06-07-1999, 05:01 AM
Oh, wow, nostalgia time. Waaaaay back when I was a little kid in the early eighties, my dad used to stop to buy milk at a place called, IIRC, 'Dolly Madison's.' They gave out free white paper, no-name, double-stick popsicles with every gallon, I think. At any rate, I remember digging in the freezers, looking for the rootbeers.