PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been a victim of a racial, ethnic or anti=Semitic slur? What were ...

berdollos
05-12-2002, 11:07 AM
circumstances and how did you respond?
In private school I was told that students who didn't learn study skills would have to biy study guides from "kikes".

The only Jew in the class, I saw the professor later that day and confronted him. He said that by "kikes" he didn't mean Jews, per se, just a "certian kind of person."

I didn't complain to the principal. He was plenty afraid of a reprimand or sanction, and I liked him and thought he was an excellent history teacher.

Shodan
05-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Well, shortly after we adopted my son (he is of a different race than The Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan and I), we got a ten page letter from a certain local person.

Said person has 1) a lot of money, 2) a lot of time on his hands, and 3) some unpleasant ideas about race-mixing. So he combs thru public records looking for cross-racial adoptions and marriages, and sends the parties involved his thoughts. It is basically warmed-over neo-Nazi excrement.

How did I respond? Bank shot into the garbage can for his letter, with a condescending snicker at how stupid some people are.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one, and some of them stink. There aren't enough hours in the day to deal with my own mistakes, let alone someone else's.

Face to face would have been different. It wasn't, so he can go sodomize himself by remote control.

Regards,
Shodan

RealityChuck
05-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Once, when I was in high school. A few of the rowdy elements sneeringly called out "Jew" as they sat behind me.

I turned, smiled sweetly, and said, "Jealous?"

They laughed and never bothered me again.

Biggirl
05-12-2002, 03:03 PM
When I was twelve I walked down the street with a bandana on my head. Several of the local teenagers followed closley behind me calling me "Aunt Jemima". Another time a friend and I were walking and some teenagers started throwing a football at us. Not to hit, but just barely passing over our heads. They were singing "Go back to Jamaica". The ball hit me in one pass. I picked it up and roofed it.

I was walking home from the train station. A man was sitting on his stoop. As I walked by he yelled, "Fucking niggers!" and stormed into his house, slamming the door behind him. It took about 2 minutes or so before what he said sunk in. I wanted to go back and bang on his door, but didn't.

When I worked customer service for Medicare, people said a whole mess of things to me. These people were older (it was Medicare), it was a call center so they couldn't see me so apparently had no idea I was black and hispanic. So I heard a lot about the "spics" and the "niggers". Alot.

One phone call that stayed with me:
Customer: Does Medicare pay for taxis?
Me: No.
Customer: Medicare must pay for taxis. I see the niggers taking taxis to the doctor's office all the time.

I can go on and on. But I won't.

Kal
05-12-2002, 03:15 PM
As a kid I was called everything from 'Paki' to 'Gyppo' to 'Black bastard'.

At college a tutor took great delight in expressing the opinion that Hitler had the right idea as far as Gypsies were concerned and that he had a friend who worked for the local council who told him how dirty Gypsy campsites were. I dealt with that by transferring courses.

Nowdays, the Gyppo label is the main one - and my normal reaction is one of extreme hostility which normally gets them to say something along the lines of, "Oh, I didn't mean true Romany Gypsies - I meant the dirty, thieving, beggers" :rolleyes:

My wife - who is American (and gets the whole fat, stupid yank thing)- was amazed that at work people who wouldn't dream of using the N word or any slur aimed at Asians don't think twice about using Gyppo.

Like Biggirl, I could go on and on. But I won't.

berdollos
05-12-2002, 03:26 PM
I don't think it is common in the US of A.

non-native
05-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Living in a variety of countries has allowed me to enjoy a variety of racial slurs.
I'll choose my favorites from each respective country.

Canada: gook, chink
Guatemala: Chino. Chino cerote
Trinidad: Chiney, chiney boy
Oman: I was too young to remember. I'm sure there must've been something though.
Korea: Now that would be really silly.

Kal: I used to have this facination with the romani culture. Do you look distinctively romani? I would've thought most people would just assume you're white or latin.
And may I assume you've sort of left the romani culture because, from what i've read, traditionally you're not allowed to marry someone who's not romani.
Tell me if my questions offend you. It's because I don't think I've ever met someone who was romani even though I think they have one of the most fascinating cultures in the world.

grendel72
05-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Being called "Faggot" was pretty much a daily occurence in high school. I tried to ignore it, and pretty much kept to myself.
Once I got really pissed off and stabbed a guy in the arm with a pencil after a lot of harassment. I got in a hell of a lot of trouble and had to go through "counseling" while the ignorant jackass got nothing.

I realise that violence is not a proper response, but a lot of the harassment I got, including from the guy I attacked was violent and it was ignored. "boys will be boys" "don't act like that and they won't bother you" etc..

dead0man
05-12-2002, 03:46 PM
I was visting my then girlfriend who was babysitting for a friend of hers in the projects(if thats offensive, I'm sorry but I dont know what they are called these days). It was a Summer Saturday afternoon and I was pretty quickly semi-surrounded by guys in their mid 20's as I got out of my car. One of them said something along the lines of, "whats a <sneer>white boy (or cracker or something)</sneer> doing here?" I responded with, "just visiting a friend" and they slowly wandered off as I walked to the door. When I got inside the people inside reminded me that not only am I the whitest person in the world but that my very very short hair probably didnt help either. Overall I've had it pretty easy. People often point out the fact that I cant dance or sing. I should probably stop doing those things. :) At least in front of people.
dead0man

Kal
05-12-2002, 04:31 PM
berdollos, no it's not common in the USA (I'm in the UK) - the closest you have is 'Gypped'. However, the term Gypsy itself isn't very popular.

From the Patrin web journal (http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5121/history.htm)The Romani people have been known by many names, including Gypsies (or Gipsies), Tsigani, Tzigane, Cigano, Zigeuner, and others. Most Roma have always referred to themselves by their tribal names, or as Rom or Roma, meaning "Man" or "People." (Rom, Roma, Romani, and Romaniya should not be confused with the country of Romania, or the city of Rome. These names have separate, distinct etymological origins and are not related.) The use of Rom, Roma, Romani, or the double "r" spelling, is preferred in all official communications and legal documents. In response to the recommendations put forth by Roma associations, the Council of Europe has approved the use of "Rroma (Gypsies)" in its official documents (CLRAE Recommendation 11 - June 1995). The trend is to eliminate the use of derogatory, pejorative and offensive names, such as Gypsies, and to be given proper respect by the use of the self-appelation of Roma, or Rroma.

non-native, not offended by your questions at all but, to avoid both hijacking the thread and my turning into a one trick pony, you're welcome to email me.

occ
05-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Kal
berdollos, no it's not common in the USA (I'm in the UK) - the closest you have is 'Gypped'. However, the term Gypsy itself isn't very popular.

And just to note, while "gyp/gip/jip" is a fairly common slang term in the US, the original association with "Gypsies" has been long forgotten by most everyone (hence the differing spellings).

Guinastasia
05-12-2002, 07:03 PM
One of my cats is named Gypsy. And we do call her Gippy-because my dad makes up nicknames for all of our cats, and started calling her Gippy-Sippy. Of course, she's also Gips, Gippers, Gipper Sippers, Gip-Gip, Gippersy, etc.

If it helps, she's named after the 'bot on MST3K.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

MsRobyn
05-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I've gotten a fair amount of flak for being Jewish. Some of it came from teachers (who at least had the good sense to be subtle), but some of it came from classmates and others. At first, I was insulted, but as time went on, I started ascribing it to ignorance and stupidity on the part of the person delivering the slur.

Screw 'em. I'm not converting just to please a bunch of idiot rednecks.

Robin

China Guy
05-12-2002, 07:19 PM
I had a helluva time renting an apartment in Tokyo when I had a very reputable job, was making 6 figures, looked completely respectable, and spoke enough Japanese not to be a pain for other people. I had real estate agents tell me that didn't rent to foreigners (gaijin). It was really a pain in the ass. I also got to where I just wanted to beat up total strangers. Eventually, the head of my company in Japan offered a personal guarantee, and I finally was able to rent a place. These few weeks gave me just a small taste to what some minorities go through in the US. Sometimes you would be called "henna gaijin", which is something like strange foreigner. That didn't seem racist to me, and usually was a more-or-less accurate descriptor from a Japanese cultural point of view. Also "gaijin" or foreign person, was a neutral term rather than one with only a negative bias.

In Hong Kong, it's pretty standard to be referred to as a "foreign devil" (gweiloh). It is not a complementary term. In Chinese, "devil" always has a negative connotation. Even worse a lot of Hong Kongese (honkies) would use the term thinking that I wouldn't understand it. I usually tried not to get bent out of shape for it, but you hear that 10-20 times a day it gets old.

Eats_Crayons
05-12-2002, 07:52 PM
When I was little, there really wasn't much of a Spanish population in my hometown (in a town of 200 000 people, I didn't meet anyone else who had any kind of latin heritage until I was about 10 or 11). So some of the insults were a bit inaccurate, or just weird.

Once in a playground I was sitting on a swing calling to the other kids "Somebody push me!" The kids in my neighbourhood all got along so it was common to see some kid on a swing asking to be pushed and another kid would always oblige. But one day, some brat said: "Ew! Who would want to push a Chinese girl!" and then I was shunned by all the other kids.

I was outraged! I was just old enough to comprehend the sentiment and I was thoroughly disgusted by it! I was horrified that a kid would be mean to another kid for no other reason than race. I stomped home, mad as hell, burst into the kitchen, and indignantly told my mom: "They wouldn't push me on the swing because I'm Chinese!" My mom looked at me and wondered for a second how her Spanish daughter had become Chinese, but she figured it out.

One summer I was almost beat up by some kids who were calling me the "N" word and I just ran away. Geez, I'm a "spic" get it right, willya?

A weird insult I once heard in reference to the hue of my skin was "I bet you're not even Christian!" (??)

I grew up thinking racists were incredibly stupid, so aside from the times where I was physically threatened, I used to just shrug it off. Even when I was fairly young I thought it was sad that some people limited their world so much with their hatred and I felt more sorry for them than I did angry.

Although once I did slap a total stranger who used the "N" word toward another total stranger. It took everyone by surprise (me included). The three of us had a split second where we all looked at each other in the most socially bizarre moment, and then we all just hurried off in separate directions. I'm quite the pacifist, so I was apalled at what I'd done and thoroughly shocked. Has never happened again.

pantom
05-12-2002, 09:13 PM
I also could go on and on, but I'll give you a funny one - at least I thought it was funny at the time. I'm driving along on the highway when a pickup truck full of college students obviously on their way to the beach passed me by. One yelled "towel head" at me.
I went home completely puzzled, not knowing which ethnic group that was supposed to be an insult for. This was years ago. Finally figured it out.
I look totally Indian, but I'm not, BTW. I've even had Indians insist - absolutely insist - that I had to be Indian. Actually, I'm Hispanic. Ah well.

Cruktar
05-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Though they aren't racial, ethnic, or anti-Semitic, I got "faggot" and "queer" a lot in High School. It pretty much stopped when I quit denying it, though. I suppose it took the (supposed) bite out of the insult.

Tsubaki
05-12-2002, 09:54 PM
I get "American" a lot...:D

But to tell the truth, that DOES piss me off. Why assume that ALL WHITE PEOPLE are from America? The biggest compliments I've had are when I was asked if I was French, or if I was Welsh, simply because it showed the person was thinking outside the box.

When I visited the Peace Park in Hiroshima, I got a lot of angry looks from older Japanese. I wanted to yell out "I'm Australian for crying out loud! YOU bombed US!"

When Mr and I rented an apartment, the real estate agent actually had me come in so she could tell me that I'm not allowed to paint the walls. Well, DUH. But apparently a lot of foreigners do.

But other than that, I haven't had any slurs thrown at me. Mr had a lot more during the year he lived in Australia.

shrew
05-12-2002, 09:58 PM
I've been called "nigger lover" more than a few times in my life. And strangely, I've never dated a black person.

widdershins
05-13-2002, 01:21 AM
In elementary school and junior high, I used to get called "slanteye" and "chink" from time to time. Occasionally, some kid would ask me if one of my parents was Asian. Since I have fairly narrow eyes and my hair was darker and straighter then, people seemed to think I was Eurasian. In seventh grade, a couple of kids told me I should go out with a girl in our class because we both looked "Chinese.":confused: :rolleyes:

Once, in high school, some of the people at my lunch table were talking about the fighting in the Middle East (late 1980s). I expressed support for the Israelis, saying they had a right to defend themselves if they are attacked. A friend at the table turned toward me and blurted out angrily, in all seriousness, "I didn't know you were Jewish!" :eek: I'm not, but that sudden pointless hatred was jarring. ;j

FTR, I'm Polish/English/German. I can't think of a whiter white boy than me. People, their narrow minds, and their damn stereotypes. :mad:

Space Vampire
05-13-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Tsubaki
I get "American" a lot...:D

But to tell the truth, that DOES piss me off. Why assume that ALL WHITE PEOPLE are from America? The biggest compliments I've had are when I was asked if I was French, or if I was Welsh, simply because it showed the person was thinking outside the box.

Well, I AM American, but when I was abroad I kind of liked it when people asked if I was British because that probably meant I didn't come off like the stereotypical American jerk.

Yeah, I've had "gweilo" and its Mandarin counterpart more than a few time, including once from some brat who thought I was the funniest thing he had ever seen until I put him in his place in Cantonese. It doesn't really get to me that bad most of the time, though.

Tsubaki
05-13-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Space Vampire
Well, I AM American, but when I was abroad I kind of liked it when people asked if I was British because that probably meant I didn't come off like the stereotypical American jerk.

I've got nothing against Americans...some of my best friends are American ;)

It just gets old when for the millionth time you have to turn around and say, "No, I'm Australian. You know, the country with the koalas?"

kambuckta
05-13-2002, 04:54 AM
When I was back in high-school ( a loooooong time ago) the school boasted a delightfully varied mix of 26 nationalities. Eighty-five per-cent of the 1200 kids were of Greek descent, and the other 15% was comprised of another 25 ethnic groups. As you can imagine, white anglo-saxons like me'self were in the distinct minority (I think we made up 2.5% of the kids), and we bore the brunt of many a racial put-down.
Gave me a good dose of thick skin, tolerance for difference and a love of pastitso and spanokopita.

God I love Australia! :)

jjimm
05-13-2002, 05:05 AM
When in Hong Kong I lived in a white 'ghetto' and was called gweilo on a daily basis (as China Guy said, most Chinese in Hong Kong don't think any Westerners can understand Cantonese. It totally freaks racist Hong Kongers out when one upbraids them in their own language.).

In Ireland I've been told to "get back to the war zone" by an auld fella in a pub who thought I was part of the British Army, and a girl once said "what the fuck do you know, you're not even from this fucking country." (I responded by calling her a "racist whore" - and got kicked out of the pub for calling her a "whore", which I guess I deserved. Shoulda called her a "racist twatwhistle").

TwistofFate
05-13-2002, 05:40 AM
I was supping a pint in a small village just outside Winsor. I asked a gentleman directions to the hotel where I was staying. He gave me them, and added in "Its run by Indians, you know".

He asked if I was on business, I told him yes. He started to ask about my job, and what I did etc. He then asked "So, are you from Northern Ireland, or the south?"

I replied "Ireland".

He said "Really?", and turned his back to me.

I just supped my pint, and bought a ticket for the meat raffle of the nice old lady sitting at the bar.

jjimm
05-13-2002, 05:54 AM
Mmmm, meat raffle.

In my experience there's more anti-Irish racism in England than there is anti-English racism in Ireland. Apologies.

stankow
05-13-2002, 06:16 AM
...but I've never had anyone know without my telling them, so my experiences are plenty different. I have, however, had the following conversation:

OTHER PERSON: (talking to someone else, well within my hearing) Well, they're (Gypsies) raised to be criminals.
ME: (not even looking at him) Not all of us.
OTHER: (chuckling) Oh, you're a Gypsy?
ME: (turning to face him and speaking slowly) Yes.
OTHER: (still chuckling) When did that happen?
ME: (thinking for a moment) About nine months before I was born.
OTHER: (pause, no longer chuckling) Well, it's not, um, a real ethnicity.
ME: (as evenly as possible) I'll call my family and tell them.
OTHER: But there are Gypsies all over the place!
ME: Sir, I don't presume to know your ethnicity from your name, but you would seem to be from a tribe that's populated three continents and owned property on the other three. Come to think of it, I'd wager that there are more of you than there are of me on Antarctica right now.
He tried to convince me for a few more minutes that it wasn't an actual ethnicity, then he backtracked some and argued that it wasn't really a race, at which point I just stopped talking and looked at him. Either he realized that he was talking out of his ass or he was afraid of the evil eye, because he soon stopped, muttered something and went back to work.

And I agree with occ -- the few times I've been in a snarky mood and pointed out the connection between "Gypsy" and "gypped," each person has said, "Huh. I never thought about that," and stopped using it (around me, at least).

andygirl
05-13-2002, 08:01 AM
I got quite a bit of homophobia in high school- I was called every anti-gay and lesbian slur in the book. My favorite was when they called me faggot. (The word is dyke, you person of unprecedented stupidity!)

Got slammed against lockers and had my bookbag spat on as well. Ah, high school.

Kal
05-13-2002, 08:35 AM
stankow, that's the most common way it happens to me, someone will be spouting off about Gypsies and, when they've given themselves enough rope, I hang 'em.

Another way is that I'll be asked what I am. To the average British person I look foreign. If I'm not told that I look like a Gypsy (or Gyppo if they're really stupid) it's assumed that I'm either Greek, Spanish, Eastern European, part Indian or part Arab, so I clear the matter up for them.

The only people that I've told in a non-confrontational way are people who've identified themselves as Romani first, my wife and previous partners, close friends and some of my wife's Indian and Pakistani co-workers (We had a great time comparing languages).

As a kid I travelled, so any school I went to knew damn well what I was - fun times were had by all :rolleyes:

My wife was shocked when I pointed out what the word gypped referred to and hasn't used it since.

As to Gyppo, over here it's now also become a term for anyone who shares the perceived characteristics of the Romani - Dirty, scruffy, thieving etc. A beggar on the street is a gyppo, poorly dressed kids at school are gyppos and the neighbours who have junk in their yards - maybe a rusting car or two - they're gyppos too.

stankow
05-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Kal
As to Gyppo, over here it's now also become a term for anyone who shares the perceived characteristics of the Romani - Dirty, scruffy, thieving etc. A beggar on the street is a gyppo, poorly dressed kids at school are gyppos and the neighbours who have junk in their yards - maybe a rusting car or two - they're gyppos too.
We're lucky over here -- I haven't heard that one yet. It's just "white trash."

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but do people over there understand "Romani"? I used it for a while while I was in college, but everyone thought I meant "Romanian," so I just go with "Gypsy" now.

jjimm
05-13-2002, 09:07 AM
This is asked in the spirit of genuine curiousity and ignorance - kal, stankow, do you find the term 'diddakoi' offensive?

zev_steinhardt
05-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Several times.

One time, while walking in downtown Brooklyn, I passed by a group of black youths who started shouting "Heil Hitler." It was done only to get a rise out of me, so I didn't give them the satisfaction and completely ignored them. What I wanted to do was give them a little history lesson and inform them that the person that they were giving "Heil" to would have gassed them just as soon as he would have gassed me.

One more...

Another time, about two years ago, a man shouted at me in the street "How did you kill Jesus today?" I was just so dumbfounded at the question that I just looked at him sadly and walked away.

Zev Steinhardt

Kal
05-13-2002, 09:40 AM
stankow - If you pronounce it Roam-ann-ee, they know what you mean but the correct way is often mistaken for "Romanian".

jjimm - While I personally don't like that word, it has a couple of meanings. To describe someone who is part Romani is fair enough I suppose. To use it in the same way that I'm bemoaning 'Gyppo', is obviously an insult.

Okay, thats the hijack over. I'm moving on officer. ;)

stankow
05-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by jjimm
This is asked in the spirit of genuine curiousity and ignorance - kal, stankow, do you find the term 'diddakoi' offensive?
I am one, but I've never actually heard it used -- my family mostly went one or two generations in America before they started outbreeding, so few of us are quote-pure-endquote anyway.

As Kal said, it's all intent. If someone sneered while saying it, I'd kick him or her directly in the ass, but if they were using it clinically, I wouldn't mind.

gobear
05-13-2002, 11:26 AM
I had a few unpleasant incidents in Korea, mostly from drunken, out-of-shape salarymen who wanted to kick some "way-gook" ass. (Language note: The character for country, pronounced guo in Mandarin and gaku in Japanese, is pronounced "gook" in Korean, which, I think, must the origin of that particular slur. "Way-gook" means the same thing as "gaijin.") I had a Korean come up to me in the subway, look at my arm, and say "You are hairy like monkey." I also got punched in the face by a drunk guy calling me a "Miguk sang nom" (American bastard) as I was walking through the Taegu bus station. I, too, could go on and on.

In Japan, I was ridimg the Nozomi shinkansen between Kyoto and Tokyo and I heard a guy say (in Japanese) "The foreigner smells bad." I sweetly smiled and in my best Japanese said, "I apologize, but I had a bath today." Tee hee.

One time, while walking in downtown Brooklyn, I passed by a group of black youths who started shouting "Heil Hitler." It was done only to get a rise out of me, so I didn't give them the satisfaction and completely ignored them.

How did they know you were Jewish? It's not something you can tell by looking.

Aristides
05-13-2002, 02:45 PM
I will be called nazi at least 3 times this week, it averages about 5-6 times a week. It doesn't even bother me anymore. I'm not even German, but I apparently am what most people think of when they think of what a nazi should look like. I have been called that by friends, and even my girlfriend has called me nazi once or twice.

rjung
05-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Gee, and I've only had one experience...

I was in an auto dealership in North Hollywood back in 1991, shopping for a new car with my Dad. We had sat down with a dealer, started talking about models and options and prices, and in the process of doing the paperwork the salesguy asked me for my driver's license, so he could make some photocopies of it. No problem, says I, and I gave it to him.

Salesdrone takes the license in the back, and comes out two minutes later with the photocopies. As we resumed discussing, I glanced down at the desk and saw that his photocopy of my license had the phrase "Ugly gook!" written beneath my picture (which isn't even accurate, since I'm a chink, not a gook, but it's the thought that counts ;) ).

At the next break in the conversation, I told my Dad what happened, then we simply got up and left, leaving a confused salesman in our wake. I got a call from him later that night, where he begged me to forgive him and tell his manager that I was "okay" over the insult, because he might lose his job as a result.

Needless to say, I didn't. After all, if he was truly concerned about his job, he wouldn't have been insulting the customers in the first place...

rjung
05-13-2002, 03:30 PM
And for whatever it's worth, China Guy, I've banned gwailo from our house.

gobear
05-13-2002, 03:45 PM
That boggles the mind. I can see somebody thinking an ugly racial slur, or maybe even muttering under one's breath, but writing it? While trying to make a sale??? Stupidity and racism do go together.

(which isn't even accurate, since I'm a chink, not a gook, but it's the thought that counts )

I;m confused. I thought that "gook" was an all-purpose slur against East Asians, but "Chink" referred only to people of Chinese origin. So as all Chinese are Asian, but not all Asians are Chinese, to quote Archie Bunker, "All Chinks is gooks, but not all gooks is Chinks."

My own thought is that is comes from Korean. In Korean, guk (pronounced "gook") means "country," so Hanguk means Korea, Miguk[ means the United States, and Chungguk means China. When US soldiers during the Korean War heard the Koreans call them Miguk, they started referring to the Koreans as, well, you know... That, in turn, got passed on to the Vietnamese and all Asians by extension.

Oddly, not all countries have the -guk attached. Germany, for instance, is called Dogil, Japan is called Ilbon, and Australia is called Hoju.

Sparc
05-13-2002, 04:25 PM
In the short time I've hung around SDMB I've had a couple of xenophobic slurs thrown at me already. Some less than stellar intelligences that felt that they needed to Euro bash me a little.

What did I do? What I've always done, I took them to town and debated it. Well on one occasion, I took it to the Pit and massacred his argument with invective rhetoric...but that's a form of debate, no?

I'm kind of sensitive about things like that. I react very strong when anyone is categorized with a slur. Maybe it's because I grew up in foreign lands and I always felt to be the subject of subtle xenophobia and prejudice. I always did the same thing... asked them to come again and then gave them a piece of my mind. I'm kind of defensively offensive about it. Funnily enough it doesn't just apply to slurs directed at me. If for instance a taxi driver starts (they tend to be a colorful bunch as far as re language and opinion...oops I just generalized!) dropping slurs about fellow drivers or what not, I always stop them and step out to take a new taxi. It's not because Iím so fucking PC, but I fire at all cylinders at 'racial' and 'ethnical' slurs. It's knee jerk and as I said self-defense.

Donít you dare call me Euro Trash ;)

Sparc

Space Vampire
05-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by gobear

Oddly, not all countries have the -guk attached. Germany, for instance, is called Dogil, Japan is called Ilbon, and Australia is called Hoju.

The Koreans can call you Hoju!

Sorry.

KarlGrenze
05-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Kal, stanknow, do you consider the word gitano an insult? Just asking, want to clear my ignorance. :)

Barking Spider
05-13-2002, 07:56 PM
I remember in Jr High art class, there was a Black girl who would look at me and bray like a donkey.But instead of making those "EEeeee-hooor, Eeeeeeh-hooor" noises, she would say Hon-keeeeh, Hon-keeeeeeh!! I actually believe she had the hots for me, because in addition to calling me a honky, she would also rub her body against me every chance she got.

rjung
05-14-2002, 01:59 AM
I;m confused. I thought that "gook" was an all-purpose slur against East Asians, but "Chink" referred only to people of Chinese origin.
I'm of the belief that "chink" is Chinese, and "gook" is Korean. But what do I know, I never got the Guide to Racist Nicknames from the KKK when I was growing up. ;)

Sephiroth
05-14-2002, 02:56 AM
When I was about 9 or 10 my brother and I went to a local nieghborhood baseball field to see how far we could hit the ball. When we got there, a little black girl about my age told us that we had to leave because we're white and the baseball field was for black people only. It dengenerated into the classic my relative can beat up your relative argument, but thatnkfully it didn't actually get violent.
My brother's also run into the problem that whenever he tells people he's a college student in South Bend, they immediately assume that he's a Notre Dame student, and thus snotty, rich, and self-centered. My brother ain't snotty, he ain't self-centered, he sure as hell ain't rich, and he goes to IU South Bend (or IUSB as we know it).
Also, I'm straight, but the extent to which people say "That's gay" as a way of describing their distaste for something, particularly among teenagers, really does worry me. Especially since I went to a Catholic High School and a lot of the kids there, despite alledging that they firmly believed in Christ's teaching to love the sinner, hate the sin, were homophobes like nobody's business. Of course, they were also the snotty rich kid stereotypes that my brother was often mistaken for. (Please don't think I'm making a prejudiced generalization there. I spent four years with those flesh incarnations of butt odor. There were quite a few of them who had their heads so far up their asses they could stick out their tongues and taste yesterday's lunch. Then again, I also met several of my best friends their. Talk about a mixed bag.)

Jervoise
05-14-2002, 03:18 AM
I was insulted by a boy in my primary school classes for my Chinese middle-name. I don't look at all Asian (except for my tan and lack of body hair), but he took it on himself to send various racial slurs at me. (I think those were the days of "chink"; the term "gook" not making its way to Australia until the mid-90s.)

In response, I did something I would never contemplate now: I waylaid him and gave him a very white-Australian punch to the head. :)

It just gets old when for the millionth time you have to turn around and say, "No, I'm Australian. You know, the country with the koalas?"Tsubaki, haven't you learned the trick of Australian backpackers? Sew an Aussie flag to your backpack. And wear that Akubra at all times! ;)

jjimm
05-14-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by rjung
And for whatever it's worth, China Guy, I've banned gwailo from our house. That's a bit racist isn't it? ;)

Actually, there's one worse than gwailo, that I've only heard used once, and that's hak gwai - 'black ghost', used over hak yan - 'black person'. That's the Canto equivalent of 'nigger', and it really makes my blood boil.

Washte
05-14-2002, 05:37 AM
Tsubaki I can commiserate with the incident in the museum:

When I visited the Peace Park in Hiroshima, I got a lot of angry looks from older Japanese. I wanted to yell out "I'm Australian for crying out loud! YOU bombed US!"

When I was in Japan several years ago (abandoned by a mate and left to fend for myself) I visited the Tokyo-Edo Museum and accidentally stumbled into the WWII section - which is quite amazing BTW... A) large American woman, B) very little Japanese.... BUT I did well. Having a knack for language I had picked up quite a bit over the week I had been there so just managed to eke out an apology for my ancestors' and my own clumsiness for having stumbled upon this section. Hurriedly trying to find my way out, a middle aged couple approached me and in halting English said that if I was interested in seeing that area of the museum, they would be happy to show me around. I was completely dumbfounded! I agreed and we chatted as we both explored the museum. It was wonderful.

In Mexico I got a lot of 'gringa' with several not so kind adjectives attached. Once, after a most interesting conversation about me, I turned to the 3 guys chatting next to me and responded in fluent Spanish that if they had such a problem with me they could suck my left tit and go to Hell! OOOH the look of surpise on their faces was a definite Kodak moment. :D

In Southern Oregon (where I grew up) this happened a lot as well due to the extremely high Mexican population, but being fluent in Spanish it was great blowing their minds with a reply from left field. It not only earned me respect and recognition in the Mexican community (all Gringos aren't bad), but allowed me the opportunity to help them out with the education they needed (ESL) and teach conversational Spanish in elementary schools to encourage ethnic awareness.

TwistofFate
05-14-2002, 06:26 AM

Maybe he was streaking ;)

As far as the Gypsy question, I tend to use "Pavee", as that is what the Travelling community in Ireland have deemed to call themselves.

Coldfire
05-14-2002, 07:25 AM
and a girl once said "what the fuck do you know, you're not even from this fucking country." (I responded by calling her a "racist whore" - and got kicked out of the pub for calling her a "whore", which I guess I deserved. Shoulda called her a "racist twatwhistle"). A bit of a nitpick, but I don't think you should have called her a racist at all. Assuming both the Irish girl and yourself are white, she was being xenophobic or nationalist, but not racist.

As fot he OP: I, being a white Dutch boy, have never been the victim of an ethnic/racist slur in my life.

zev_steinhardt
05-14-2002, 09:14 AM

You can tell fairly easily. I wear a yarmulke. ;j

Zev Steinhardt

Helen's Eidolon
05-14-2002, 09:37 AM
Two times in my life:

When I was in grade 4 (or somewhere around there) I went to an after-school program with a firend of mine (who happened to be black). The after school program she attended was also made up mostly of black kids. Some girl insulted me for being white - I don't remember exactly what she said. I wasn't sure how to react. I think I laughed or something. Then I told one of the teachers and she got in trouble.

The second time was more recent. I was riding on the bus with a few of my friends, and we were sitting next to this creepy, dirty guy. My friend commented that the kids on he other side of the bus who were writing graffiti were raising bus prices for all of us. The guy next to us buts into the conversation, saying:

"Nah, it's cause the Jews own the buses."

Both my friends know I'm Jewish. He obviously didn't. I was pretty embarassed, and I'm not really good with confrontational situations. One of my friends, however, said:

"Oh really? You know, she's Jewish." I was furious with him then, but he said he did it to embarass the guy, which it did do. He tried to cover his ass for a bit. Then, as the bus has almost reached it's destination, he says to me:

"Don't you find my Jewish jokes funny?"

"No," I replied truthfully.

jools
05-14-2002, 09:39 AM
Back in the 80ís, I was on a date with a black guy I worked with.... we were going to see Simple Minds (wow that brings back memories)... anyways. At one point, he took my hand, to me that was just normal, I like him he likes me and heís showing me. At that point, I am very happy, high, excited, thinking ok this is good. Then I hear a bunch a guys behind making comments such as ę sheís not ugly what the fuck is she doing with a nigger Ľ ę maybe she likes big cocks, I should show her mine Ľ and it went from this to worse. I was so angry, I turned red and started shaking, I lost it.:mad:

I turned around, started walking back towards them and my date was freaking out telling me he was alone and that there were 5 of them, donít do this jools, but nothing could stop me. I had never heard such disgusting comments in my life and I could not accept it. I slap one of them really hard and asked if anybody else had something to say. I was extremely lucky, there was a crowd forming and the guys knew that they couldnít touch me in front of a crowd (thank god for small favors). So they clamed up, of course being still extremely pissed off I kept going at them giving them shit but never lowering myself to their level.

After I calmed down, I asked him why he didnít say anything and he actually told me he hadnít really heard them, actually not that he hadnít heard them but he was used to it and didnít want to fight. I was appalled that someone would have to live hearing those kind of comments regularly (I still canít get over it today, reading this thread).

After that night, I made a point of being aware of what I said when it came to other race, religions and sexual orientation, could it hurt? was it derogatory?

jools
05-14-2002, 09:39 AM
Back in the 80ís, I was on a date with a black guy I worked with.... we were going to see Simple Minds (wow that brings back memories)... anyways. At one point, he took my hand, to me that was just normal, I like him he likes me and heís showing me. At that point, I am very happy, high, excited, thinking ok this is good. Then I hear a bunch a guys behind making comments such as ę sheís not ugly what the fuck is she doing with a nigger Ľ ę maybe she likes big cocks, I should show her mine Ľ and it went from this to worse. I was so angry, I turned red and started shaking, I lost it.:mad:

I turned around, started walking back towards them and my date was freaking out telling me he was alone and that there were 5 of them, donít do this jools, but nothing could stop me. I had never heard such disgusting comments in my life and I could not accept it. I slap one of them really hard and asked if anybody else had something to say. I was extremely lucky, there was a crowd forming and the guys knew that they couldnít touch me in front of a crowd (thank god for small favors). So they clamed up, of course being still extremely pissed off I kept going at them giving them shit but never lowering myself to their level.

After I calmed down, I asked him why he didnít say anything and he actually told me he hadnít really heard them, actually not that he hadnít heard them but he was used to it and didnít want to fight. I was appalled that someone would have to live hearing those kind of comments regularly (I still canít get over it today, reading this thread).

After that night, I made a point of being aware of what I said when it came to other race, religions and sexual orientation, could it hurt? was it derogatory?

jools
05-14-2002, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry I have no idea how i did that :o

stankow
05-14-2002, 09:53 AM
This isn't really a slur, but it was weird:
When my grandfather died, I told my boss that it had happened and that I would take time off in a few months, when they were planning on holding the memorial service.

He asked, "Oh, is that a Jewish thing?"
I replied, "No, Jews have to be buried very soon after their deaths. I think it's three days, but I'm not sure. This is just so his older friends and relatives can make travel plans."

It took me two days to realize that he thought I was Jewish.

Kal
05-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Okay, I said I'd move on but what the hell.

KarlGrenze, sorry but I can't answer that - you'll have to ask someone from Spain.

TwistofFate, good on you for using the right name. But it should be remembered that the Pavee are indigenous to Ireland, although the lifestyle is similar they are not related to the Roma.

Arken
05-14-2002, 10:34 AM
I've had a lot of anti-Jewish slurs said against me over the years. When I, rarely, get a tan, because of my partial Sephardic (Mediterranean Jewish) roots, I look like I could be an Arab and I occasionally get 'towel head' and 'sand nigger' slurs too.

I also got the 'faggot' thing in high school a lot (I'm heterosexual). Probably didn't help that I had several openly-gay friends. Then again, once I was walking down the hall with a female friend and one of the morons yelled, "Hey! Lookit the faggot with his lesbian girlfriend!" I almost didn't make it to class because I was laughing so hard at that one.

One thing that I *really* hate is when someone who doesn't know me says, "are you Jewish?" when I say yes, they respond, "I thought so" in a way that indicates they did from my looks (sometimes they come out and say it). Now I suppose I look somewhat stereotypically Jewish. I have a big nose which is slightly hooked. I certainly don't look Hassidic. Anyway, even if I DIDN'T it bugs me. I have both Jews and non-Jews do it and I think it's bigoted to assume something like that. Would you say to a black person, "Are you black? Hmm. Thought so."

jjimm
05-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Coldfire
A bit of a nitpick, but I don't think you should have called her a racist at all. Assuming both the Irish girl and yourself are white, she was being xenophobic or nationalist, but not racist.Well, many people of Celtic extraction consider themselves to be racially different to those of Anglo-Saxon stock. Irish people in London now have "ethnic minority" status, too. Having said that, I wasn't thinking rationally at the time - she'd been pissing me off for a while, and that was the final straw.

grendel72
05-14-2002, 01:29 PM
In addition to being called a "faggot" all through high-school (I'm actually bisexual), I am currently being called "white trash" in this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=114937). My reaction to both indicate that I am much weaker than others in this thread, I just have a hard time letting it go.

Efrem
05-14-2002, 01:49 PM
When I was attending High school I got a lot of Indian/Pakistani slurs thrown at me, which was strange to say the least since I am a Black African from Eritrea who looks/speaks like any-other African Canadian. Since they knew I was foreign I guess that was enough.

Also once, my brother was playing with this 12-year-old down the street (he was a troubled white kid), and they got into a fight. About two hours later the kid down the street had scratched the word "NIGGER" in metre high letters on the front of our house. We washed it off and had a little talk with his mother (we always felt sorry for her, she was a working single mom and her kid was an ass).

rjung
05-14-2002, 04:47 PM
And for whatever it's worth, China Guy, I've banned gwailo from our house.
That's a bit racist isn't it? ;)
*Rimshot*

Actually, there's one worse than gwailo, that I've only heard used once, and that's hak gwai - 'black ghost', used over hak yan - 'black person'. That's the Canto equivalent of 'nigger', and it really makes my blood boil.
Haven't heard hak gwai before, but I'll keep an ear open for it. I always use hak yan myself.

epolo
05-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Growing up "white" (as others see me, I self-ID as Jewish most of the time) in a "black" (actually mostly West-Indian) neighborhood I got my share of crap. I had sticks and stones (and words) thrown at me a number of times.

After I moved out of my parents' house I got an appartment in the next neighborhood over, which is even more predominantly black. It's a lower-income neighborhood (so I can afford to live there) and it used to be fairly dangerous, but it's gotten much better in recent years. On moving in, I was concerned that my family would worry about my safety so I was talking up how much better it's gotten and how there's plenty of young professionals of all colors moving in for the low rents. As we're driving over with my stuff, a little girl on a bike pulls up next to our mini-van points her finger right at me and yells "Look, white people!"

In college I was in a "culturally Jewish" fraternity. One year we were rushing this guy (trying to get him to join our house) and we were in close competition with another house. We thought we were going to lose him when all of a sudden he called us up and said he wanted to come and stay with us. Why? Because the idiots at the other house were telling him a story about how they "jewed [someone] down."

hajario
05-14-2002, 08:38 PM
I'm Jewish and I look Jewish. I grew up in West Los Angeles which has a large Jewish population. I've had many, many racial slurs thrown at me, especially when I was a kid.

I really don't feel like going through all of them. I probably don't remember all of them. One of the first times was when I was around 11 years old. I was standing in front of my synagogue before the start of Hebrew School. I lady in her 50's or 60's walked in front of my with her large dog. The dog made a lunge at me and I told her (admittedly a bit rudely perhaps) to be careful. She said, "you just stay out of the way, you stupid Jew." An adult to a 11 year old little boy!

There are plenty more where that came from.

Haj

Tsubaki
05-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Narrad
Tsubaki, haven't you learned the trick of Australian backpackers? Sew an Aussie flag to your backpack. And wear that Akubra at all times! ;) [/B]

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that...if I ever become a backpacker. :p I'm actually living in Japan, and I think my kids would kill me if I wore my Akubra everywhere (if they didn't die of embarrassment first).

JRT
05-14-2002, 10:59 PM
The same night my family and I moved into "the projects" (I can say that, I lived there), we had rocks and bricks thrown at our door by the black teenagers who lived there. Cops were called, and couldn't do anything if we didnt know who it was. This continued for 6 or 7 years,escalating to things like slashed tires and broken windows. It seeped into everyday life at school, my dad was the "prejudiced racist". WTF??? We knew nobody when we moved in, but we were being racist? By calling the cops? Being scared? Jesus, it was horrible.

But anyways yeah, I was a victim.

LurkMeister
05-14-2002, 11:28 PM
And just to throw in a bit of comic relief...
Once on a crowded train platform I was called "nigger" by a black woman who apparently thought I had unnecessarily violated her personal space.
I'm white. Really white.

China Guy
05-15-2002, 10:24 PM
I;m confused. I thought that "gook" was an all-purpose slur against East Asians, but "Chink" referred only to people of Chinese origin. So as all Chinese are Asian, but not all Asians are Chinese, to quote Archie Bunker, "All Chinks is gooks, but not all gooks is Chinks."

My own thought is that is comes from Korean. In Korean, guk (pronounced "gook") means "country," so Hanguk means Korea, Miguk[ means the United States, and Chungguk means China. When US soldiers during the Korean War heard the Koreans call them Miguk, they started referring to the Koreans as, well, you know... That, in turn, got passed on to the Vietnamese and all Asians by extension. Gook might also come from Cantonese, where country is pronounced "gwok" or something like that.

My father was a WW2 pacific theater and Korean War combat vet. He doesn't remember when he started using gook, which would maybe provide an indication if it's from the cantonese or korean. That doesn't excuse his word usage, but does explain it.

Growing up, my father used the word gook for all asians. Now, if he knew someone was Chinese, then it became chink or chinaman, and Japanese were nips or japs. He never used these words to someone's face, and had some pretty good friends who were Chinese and Japanese in the US.

rjung, gweiloh has become such a common word in HK, most people just use it unconciously. But glad to hear you're not using it at home. Black devil (hak kwei) is one I've heard in the US and HK. Although a lot of my canto friends made a point to say they were raised in the US to say Black Person (hak yan).

I rarely hear stuff here in China. Laowai (which is an honorific term for foreigner) is the standard term or waiguoren (foreigner). Rarely hear a slur towards white people. Japanese on the other hand, get quite a bit, especially in the dialects.

tisiphone
05-16-2002, 02:28 AM
I grew up in what amounts to a reserve, and now live in a city with a large population of First Nations. I think it's very close to an even split at the moment. We have a sprinkling of other minorities, chiefly East Indian and Korean.

I've been called "white bitch" more times than I care to think of, usually when I don't give out cigarettes or change on demand. Well, and by losers at parties when I wouldn't go home with them. I've also been called a racist myself a few times under those conditions. Newsflash: I'm prejudiced against you because you're an asshole, not because you're any particular colour.

Little blonde-haired blue-eyed me also happens to be part Salish. (Attention: First Nations Assimilation of the White Man Program - There are some serious flaws in the practical applications of this theory you may wish to consider... ;) )

I have never knowingly used a racial slur to offend anyone. Lotsa other slurs, possibly even slander, but no racial insults. My parents trained me right. :)

Actually, that reminds me.

When I was a kid growing up, my parents forbade me from speaking pidgin, as it was racist and insulting to the First Nations. So the kids wouldn't play with me anymore because I was "too stuck up to talk good".

Hyperelastic
05-16-2002, 05:17 PM
The year the American hostages were taken in Iran, I was in the 6th grade. One day on the bus ride home, some meathead 8th graders started harassing me for being Iranian. I don't have an ounce of Semitic or Persian blood in me! (I have Italian features). I was mature enough to see the humor in it all, but that experience conjures up sympathy in me for people who are made fun of for their actual race.

That just made me think of something. I had a job delivering papers around that time, and one of my customers (a nice old guy who kept bees and used to give me jars of honey) asked me, "What do you think of the Ayatollah?" Like a good American, I said that I didn't like him. Later he asked me if I was "that Eye-talian woman's son" and I said yes. Perhaps that eased his concern.

Jerrybear
05-17-2002, 08:28 AM
When I was in college, I marched in a Take Back the Night march and was called a "communist lesbian" by a drunken frat boy.

Little Nemo
05-18-2002, 02:38 AM
I'm a straight white Christian male American, so the only people who hate me are too politically correct to say so.

Ironically however, despite being born and raised a Roman Catholic, I've been mistaken as being Jewish on a few occasions. The funniest time was when an inmate was complaining about me as "that Jew sergeant" to another sergeant who was actually Jewish.

Jet Jaguar
05-18-2002, 09:01 AM
In college, I worked at the front desk of one of the nicer hotels in Daytona Beach. In the winter, we would get the "winter guests", old folks who spent 2 or 3 months at our hotel every winter. Most of them were exactly like your stereotypical old Jewish people from New York/New Jersey who winter in Florida. Anyway, they were constantly calling me a Nazi and things like that. If there was any little problem or something they didn't like, then suddenly I was an anti-Semite and they would bring up the Holocaust so the world now owes them and so on. Getting compared to Hitler on a daily basis gets old after awhile, so it didn't really bother me.

Oh, and there was a time at an Asian market where I went to check out my items, and the register was in the exact center of a long counter. There was nobody in line and no indication of which side of the register to put your stuff, so I arbitrarily picked one side. The woman at the register angrily told me "line starts HERE, round eyes", pointing to the other side of the register, and wouldn't check me out until I moved my stuff. I'm still not sure if that was racist, but I know I get better treatment at that market when I'm with my wife (who is Chinese), than when I'm by myself.

hardygrrl
05-18-2002, 01:18 PM
I grew up in a small town in Illinois in the seventies. When my mother started dating my stepfather (she's white and he's black), people used to stare and make comments. When I was six, I was told by a neighbor that if my mother and father (that's what I call him. He's been my father since I was four and more of a father to me that my biodonor was) had babies, they would "be spear chuckers too." Lovely sentiment, isn't it? :rolleyes:

wevets
05-18-2002, 04:03 PM
I've got a question: I've been referred to as a "pagin" (or perhaps bhei-gin - I don't know how to properly spell the term) by Koreans many times. From context, this seems to be a racial term for "white person." Does anyone know if this is a derogatory term or not? I'm not sure myself.

Aside from that, I had an odd experience in St. James Park in San Jose one day when I said "excuse me" to an African-American woman as I passed her on the path. Another African-American woman said: "Those white niggers are so polite." I never figured out whether she was being sarcastic or not.

I've also been called a gweiloh in Hong Kong, but at the time I was blissfully unaware of its meaning.

rjung
05-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Jet Jaguar
The woman at the register angrily told me "line starts HERE, round eyes", pointing to the other side of the register, and wouldn't check me out until I moved my stuff. I'm still not sure if that was racist, but I know I get better treatment at that market when I'm with my wife (who is Chinese), than when I'm by myself.
I'd vote "racist."

I'd also never patronize their store again.

non-native
05-19-2002, 01:30 AM
wevet: I think the closest would be "bek-in" or something along that line. Anywhoo, it's not an derogatory or racist term. It simply means "white person" and has no positive or negative connotations to it.

wevets
05-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks, non-native, I appreciate the info!

even sven
05-20-2002, 10:55 PM
I grew up in an apartment complex that had lots of kids from all kinds of different backgrounds. I grew up next to people of all races, and always had friends of many different races and ethnic groups.

So it was pretty shocking when one day, around fifth grade, a black girl my age walked up and started hitting and kicking me. I'd never been in a fight before, so I just curled up and waited until she stopped and went away.

Later I went up and asked her why she did that. She said that it was because I was white and probably stuck up. I told her that I wasn't stuck up and that I was a pretty nice girl. She agreed, and said she hadn't realized that white girls could be nice.

occ
05-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sparc
In the short time I've hung around SDMB I've had a couple of xenophobic slurs thrown at me already. Some less than stellar intelligences that felt that they needed to Euro bash me a little.
Donít you dare call me Euro Trash ;)

Sparc

I don't know what you were called, but if you didn't know, "Euro Trash" isn't a slur against Europeans in general. It's an American term for the European equivilent of the American "yuppie" (young, urban professional). Typically seen as having "too much money for their own good", driving a luxury car, listening to Euro-pop, that kinda thing. Less a damning slur than a winking "those wacky Euro-trash types!" kinda thing, FWIW.

Pushkin
05-21-2002, 10:34 AM
Being at a mixed school in Northern Ireland was lots and lots of fun :( Although it was officially mixed, in the past it was Protestant only and is still mostly attended by Protestants so having Irish/Catholic parents ment I got the full monty thrown at me; Fenian, taig, rebel and more. Most of them I didn't understand, even when my parents explained I still didn't know why I was being called these names. I would have liked to explain to these people that I have no religion and nationality is of no concern to me, soon we'll all be EU citizens anyway, but try telling them that. Better yet, after school I had to take the abuse hurled by the people from the mostly Catholic town I lived in :rolleyes: the uniform for them being an indicator of my religion.

vix
05-21-2002, 07:03 PM
I grew up in Providence and went to college there. One of my classmates asked me once if I had family in the mafia. I said no, and he insisted that I must, since I'm Italian and from Providence. Again, I said no. So he said that I must have family in the mob, but I just don't know it.

And yes, I do refuse to watch the Sopranos on principle.

matt_mcl
05-21-2002, 07:53 PM
I've been called a queer (not in a nice way), a fudgepacker, and a fif (fag), that I remember at the moment.

Sublight
05-21-2002, 11:04 PM
I haven't been called many names (I don't count "gaijin" as a slur by itself), but I've been turned away by a lot of businesses that wouldn't accept non-Japanese. The worst one was a realtor who tried to explain that it was for my own good that he wouldn't show me any apartments, then called my girlfriend a dumb farmgirl for thinking she could bring a foreigner into this neighborhood.

Subgirl added the word "dickhead" to her English vocabulary that day.