PDA

View Full Version : Translation of some Japanese lyrics in the song "Mr. Roboto"

Victory Candescence
05-24-2002, 12:13 PM
In the song "Mr. Roboto" by Styx, there is this one part that is spoken in Japanese. Here is someone's transcription of it*:

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
Mata ah-oo hima de
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
Himitsu wo shiri tai

I know what "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" means "Thank you very much, Mister Roboto", but what do the other words mean?

BONUS QUESTION: Is "Roboto" Japanese for "robot"? This makes sense to me, since I often see the letter "o" added to the end of words that end in "t", that are borrowed from English.

*The transcription comes from this site: http://www.styxnet.com/styxlyrics/roboto.htm

Victory Candescence
05-25-2002, 09:43 AM
This thread has fallen to page 3 with no responses. I'm going to bump it up, and hope it gets answered this time around.

Sublight
05-25-2002, 09:54 AM
himitsu wo shiritai = (I/you/he) want to know (your/my/his/the) secret.

Japanese isn't very big on articles.

tevya
05-25-2002, 10:11 AM
I think that this may be a rough translation:

Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto.
Yet even more
Thanks Mr. Roboto
For not telling my secret.

tevya
05-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Or maybe not. It looks like Sublight's post means my last sentence is incorrect. As Sublight is in Tokyo, I am sure he/she is more familiar with Japanese than I am.

tevya
05-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Or could the last line be "For keeping my secret?"

Sublight
05-25-2002, 10:18 AM
As for the second line, I've been playing it over and over and I can't figure out what they're saying. 'Mata' means 'again', although they could be saying 'mada' which means 'still'

Hmm... "Mada o-hima desu" I'm still on my break?
"Mata o-hime desu" I'm a princess again?

As for 'Roboto', it's probably just to rhyme with 'arigato', but yeah, that's the typical word used for robot, although it's usually written as 'robotto' (pronounced the way Styx says it, though). Japanese words can only end with an n or a vowel, so most foreign words get o's, u's or i's tacked onto the ends.

Sublight
05-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by tevya
Or could the last line be "For keeping my secret?"

No, the "-tai" ending on the verb (shiru, to know) means "want to -". "wo" indicates that the preceding word (himitsu) is a direct object, so I'd translate it as "want to know secret". Since there is no subject and no article for secret, just who has the secret and who wants to know is up in the air. ("I want to know your secret" vs "they want to know my secret") It could even be a question (Do you want to know my secret?").

Your second lines sounds as good as mine. I have no idea what he's saying.

Sublight
05-25-2002, 10:27 AM
btw, I'm a he :)

scr4
05-25-2002, 10:30 AM
I believe the second line is "Mata au hi made", meaning "until we meet again."

tevya
05-25-2002, 10:39 AM
So pooling together all the posts it looks like we may have something like this:

Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto.
Until we meet again.
Thanks Mr. Roboto
Do you want to know my secret? (Could be "I want to know your secret" or "they want to know my secret.")

I see I was pretty off base but then again I've only had a year and a half of Japanese and that was 6 years ago. :)

tevya
05-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Make the 3rd line the same as the first line.

xicanorex
05-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Wasn't that a concept album? If so, what WAS the concept?

:confused:

xicanorex

Captain Amazing
05-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by xicanorex
Wasn't that a concept album? If so, what WAS the concept?

:confused:

xicanorex

The concept is in the link that recursion provided.

The album “Kilroy was here,” by the group Styx tells a fictitious story about a world famous rock star named Kilroy. The story is set in the near future, and each song tells a different part of that story and social meaning. The story briefly goes like this: Dr. Everett Righteous, the founder and leader of a group called MMM (Majority for Musical Morality), has his own television channel and “preaches” about the immorality of rock music. At one of Kilroy’s concerts the MMM storms the stage, captures Kilroy, and sends him to jail with other captured rock and roll stars. Also in this time, Robotos (robots) have taken over the meaningless jobs once done by humans, like factory labor, and work in jails. In Kilroy’s jail the MMM forced mind controlling propaganda at the rock and roll inmates all day. Meanwhile the leader of the rock and roll resistance, Jonathan, jams the signal and replaced it with an outlawed tape of one of Kilroy’s concerts. Kilroy’s hope is reborn and he escapes inside one of the “security guard” robotos. After his escape he leaves the roboto “mask” on while he searches out Jonathan. When he meets up with Jonathan he can finally escape from his “mask.”

Koxinga
05-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sublight
himitsu wo shiritai = (I/you/he) want to know (your/my/his/the) secret.

Japanese isn't very big on articles.

[Lionel Twain]Say your goddamn pronouns![/Lionel Twain]

Eliahna
05-25-2002, 04:01 PM
I am the modren man!

Joe_Cool
05-25-2002, 06:48 PM
Based on the rest of the song and the context, I'd say it's probably "I (or we) want to know your secret"

The whole rest of the song is Mr. Roboto having a secret and explaining who he is. Since the opening part is talking TO Mr. Roboto, that's what I get out of it.

It's just a guess, but I wouldn't say it's wild-ass.

JamesCarroll
05-25-2002, 10:20 PM
I think this site pretty well sums up everything you need to know about the Japanese language:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

:D

dinahmoe
05-25-2002, 11:23 PM
I saw Styx on this tour. It was a pretty elaborate stage show, complete with a mini movie and plenty of extra cast memebers. I'm sure Jonathan Chance can attest:)

MagicalSilverKey
05-26-2002, 02:42 PM
1. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
2. Mata ah-oo hima de
3. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
4. Himitsu wo shiri tai

Translation:

1. Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto
2. Until we meet again
3. Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto
4. All your base belong to us

<<ducks, runs>>

Dieter
05-27-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by MagicalSilverKey
1. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
2. Mata ah-oo hima de
3. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto,
4. Himitsu wo shiri tai

Translation:

2. Until we meet again
4. All your base belong to us

<<ducks, runs>>

Close, but you missed:

Translation:

2. Until we meet again
4. All (your/my/his/the) base belong to (I/you/he/us)

PublicBlast
05-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to point out that everyone is spacing the second line wrong. It's not:

Mata aa-oh hima de

It should be:

Mata aa-oh hi made

Lit. Again shall meet day until

[/languagenerd]

My dad took me to a Styx concert when I was 3--all I remember is the song "Lady" and everyone holding up cigarette lighters.

Dieter
05-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by PublicBlast

My dad took me to a Styx concert when I was 3--all I remember is the song "Lady" and everyone holding up cigarette lighters.

They were trying to burn the band.