PDA

View Full Version : I need my laser realigned--car stereo

dudes a plenty
05-30-2002, 02:06 PM
I just found out I need my laser realigned on my CD player in my car. If I went to an electronics place, how much would they charge? I was told about $70. Please help me! I'd like ideas on how much this will cost me. Thanks!!!!!

Patty O'Furniture
05-30-2002, 03:31 PM
That sounds about right. When I was doing optical alignments about two years ago, we charged either $59 or $69 for consumer grade stuff, and about twice that for professional grade (like studio quality laserdisc players/recorders).

Have you requested a cleaning to see if that helps a skipping problem? Lasers should not need to be aligned until at least 2-4 years after purchase, unless it's a cheesy brand in which case they're sometimes out of alignment right off the assembly line. There were many cases where I could have screwed the customer out of $70 for an alignment when only a cleaning was needed. There was great incentive for me to do this because it was a commission based job. 20 "repairs" of this nature would easily gross me $300 a day. Of course I never did that for fear of being stung by 20/20 or some other consumer watchdog group.

ftg
05-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Umm, who told you this and what sort of expertise do they have? There are a lot of idiots out there full of a lot of "facts" that are total nonsense. I doubt someone could tell you that it needs realignment without taking it apart.

Some things that cause various play problems other than realignment are dirty lens, sticky laser transport, bad motor and on and on. You can't tell what causes it without getting inside and testing it. I had a player with a problem that required replacing an IC chip to fix. Adjusting the pots didn't do a thing. It is not so straightforward.

Go to http://www.repairfaq.org and check out the CD player/CDROM section. Sam is great. Also, do a search on Google's Usenet archives on your model #. Usually a given model has certain preferred ways to fail.

(I have actually done adjustments on CD players, but I had the know how and docs to go with it.)

dudes a plenty
06-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Thanks you guys. I really appreciate it. It really helps. I'm gonna check out the website you mentioned and check out google too. Thanks again for the great info!!