PDA

View Full Version : Can a dog get Rabies from getting Skunked ?

dragongirl
05-30-2002, 05:47 PM
My dog just got skunked :eek: and although she has had her rabies shot she's a few months late for her booster shot. If I'm not mistaken, skunks are nocturnal animals so, since this one is out in the daytime it might have rabies. So My dog got skunked from an animal that might have rabies, Can my dog get rabies from the stinker ?

Thanks

Lisa Ann
05-30-2002, 06:00 PM
I believe it is a bodily fluid transmitted disease. At least call your vet. FYI - you could be at risk if the skunk is rabid, even when your dog is properly innoculated, so please call! Did you douse your poor doggy with tomato juice and vinegar?

Calliope
05-30-2002, 06:37 PM
Yes, call your vet, but I think it's unlikely. I recently extensively researched rabies transmission, and I believe it is transmitted through saliva. In any case, get your dog up to date on the shot and it will be fine. You should report the skunk wandering around in the day to your county wildlife office, though.

Smeghead
05-30-2002, 08:41 PM
I highly doubt it. I suppose there might be a remote possibility if the skunk sprayed an open wound, but that would surprise me.

Snooooopy
05-30-2002, 10:01 PM
The Toronto Blue Jays are getting skunked an awful lot this season. I wonder if any of them have rabies.

Duck Duck Goose
05-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Ha. Google, "rabies transmitted skunk spray"

http://www.wscdch.org/rabies.asp
Q. What is an exposure?
A. The most common exposure is a bite from an infected animal. Other uncommon exposures include scratches or mucous membrane exposure (such as the eyes or inside the mouth) from an infected animal. Exposures to bats are more difficult to determine, so according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, finding a bat in the house, or waking to find a bat in a bedroom, in addition to any known bites or scratches from a bat, are considered exposures and warrant investigation and testing. Petting a domestic animal is NOT an exposure, neither is contact with blood, feces, urine, or skunk "spray". Generally, a non-bite exposure must consist of contact with the wet saliva of an infected animal to broken skin or mucous membranes.
http://www.mt.blm.gov/sdfo/pages/ramblings0501.htm
The rabies virus is not present in the blood or urine of infected animals, nor is it present in skunk spray.
http://www.co.broward.fl.us/ani02400.htm
The virus is found in infected animals' salivary glands and is transmitted through their saliva--usually through a bite or a scratch, but potentially also through contact with the victim's mucous membranes or an existing wound. In other words, your horse can't get rabies merely through unbroken-skin contact with a rabid animal. There must be saliva-to-wound contact (most likely a bite) or saliva-to-mucous membrane contact (such as if your horse licks the animal and ingests its saliva). Blood and urine--even skunk spray--do not contain the rabies virus.
Looks to me like you're in the clear.

But OMG, poor Doggie!! :eek: Skunk is the WORST...

http://www.yardener.com/Helper/PlantProblems/PestAnimals/Skunks/Skunk5.htm
If you’re sprayed, or your pet is sprayed, here are some pointers on what to do about it.

Use an alkaline laundry soap such as Ivory Soap to wash exposed clothing or the dog. Raising the pH of the wash water breaks down the offending chemicals quickly. Another alkalinizing remedy suggested for washing your pet consists of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, ¼ cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap. Use this brew first, then rinse the animal well in plain water. You may not wish to try peroxide on clothing.

Commercial odor removal products include Outright Skunk Odor Eliminator,ä which uses enzymes to break down the odor, Skunk Kleenä, a water-based product, and Neutroleum-Alpha,ä a disinfectant long used by pest control operators and hospitals. When using chemicals, always read and follow label directions.

Home remedies include canned tomatoes or tomato juice, cider vinegar, household ammonia, bleach, and smoke from a citronella candle. Be aware that bleach and ammonia are extremely toxic and must never be mixed together. They will immediately react to form a poisonous gas (chloramine) that can cause severe coughing, choking, eye, throat, and lung damage.