PDA

View Full Version : Tonsilitis AND wisdom teeth at the same time! Help!

Llama Llogophile
06-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Yes I know we're not doctors here and even if we were I should see my own and we shouldn't give that kind of advice here yadda yadda yadda...

Heck with that. I need help.

I'm having repeated bouts of tonsilitis over the last month or so. It comes with flu-like symptoms and lots of throat pain.

On top of that, now I appear to have wisdom teeth erupting. There's a flap of gum hanging around the back corner of my mouth, and my gums and jaw are sore.

Why would these two things happen together? Could either of them be causing the other?

Advice? Sympathy? Anything, please!

Hello Again
06-01-2002, 10:41 PM
I think its just a coincidence. Wisdom teeth usually erupt around ages 16-20, if you are in this age range its "just something that happens." Be thankful they are through the gum -- it makes removing them (if nec'y) a whole heck of a lot easier. However, you SHOULD take special care to keep the erupting tooth and the flap of gum very very clean, as that flap can harbor bacteria. ew. and ow.

Duck Duck Goose
06-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Ya know, they really do still remove tonsils. See Google, "chronic tonsilitis".

http://www.ssan.com/healthcare/hdbase/ctonsil.htm
The most frequent symptom is recurrent sore throat. Between episodes of acute tonsilitis, the throat remains uncomfortable. The tonsils are often enlarged, and if they are infected, a sharp line may be seen between the colour of the buccal mucosa and that of the tonsillar pillar. The most reliable indication of chronic tonsilitis is the expression of purulent material from the tonsil crypts with a wooden tongue blade. Once chronic tonsilitis is diagnosed, surgical removal is recommended. Surgery is contraindicated during acute tonsillar infection, although tonsillectomy may be performed in a person with acute peritonsillar abscess.