PDA

View Full Version : I just got a paper-cut on my eye-ball...

alice_in_wonderland
08-20-2002, 05:13 PM
actually, that's about it.

It really smarts, and my eye is watering like crazy.

Ouch.

NurseCarmen
08-20-2002, 05:26 PM
let me be the first to say: OWWWWWW ow ow ow ow OWWWWW.

stofsky
08-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Mi feeoncay deaded becayse of a bunjy cord cut on her yeyball. It happened 17 secons...no 18 sedons...no 19 secons...

Ferrous
08-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeesh, it makes my eyes water just reading about it!

Poor alice!

Sunspace
08-20-2002, 05:42 PM
AAAAIIIEEEEEE...
<twitch><twitch>

<shudder>

LolaCocaCola
08-20-2002, 05:44 PM
I got a freaking paper cut on my nipple once. I was testing one of those magazine perfume samples by rubbing the page on my chest after I got out of the shower. :(

Sunspace
08-20-2002, 06:01 PM
AYEEEEEE...
<curls up into little ball>

Max Carnage
08-20-2002, 06:34 PM
What exactly did you have to look at that closely???

World Eater
08-20-2002, 06:36 PM
Ouch!

My eyes are tearing up right now.

Happy Lendervedder
08-20-2002, 06:45 PM
My worst freakin nightmare.

Followed closely by Lola's horrific experience.

And I'd have to say getting me bits caught in me zipper would have to be up there with the unimaginable horrors, too.

Happy, unimaginably horrified

OpalCat
08-20-2002, 06:54 PM
My teeth are on edge now and my face is all scrunched around! WHY DID I READ THIS!?!

My cat once ran across me while I was sitting on the couch and punctured my nipple with her claw.

RadioWave
08-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Was this some sort of do-it-yourself radial keratotomy kit or were you just getting a really good look at Mr. October?

Either way, you have my cringing, whimpering sympathy.

widdershins
08-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Get that thing checked out, Alice.

I got a splinter in my eyeball once when I was 7. It watered like crazy and when my parents finally figured out what was wrong (I though I just had something in it, not stuck in it), they rushed me to the emergency room. Removed the splinter and found out I had two small cuts on the surface of my eyeball.

Came out okay, but I had to go to the eye doctor the next day, he gave me some eye drops and I had to wear an eye patch for a couple of days to rest my eye. One of those medical patches that looks like a big band-aid, not a cool black eyepatch like Rooster Cogburn, a pirate, or Moshe Dyan. I would have gladly worn one of those.

Hope your glassie is okay.

Jeep's Phoenix
08-20-2002, 08:13 PM
I once had an eyelash that became ingrown and then wound up growing backwards into my eye. Luckily, it didn't actually cut the surface of my eye; it just scraped it up a lot. The hair had to be cut out though, so I did have a tiny cut on the edge of my eyelid.

Hodge
08-20-2002, 08:15 PM
My buddy's cat once clawed him in the eyeball. He had to wear an eyepatch for several days and take a week off work. Man, I'd hate to call into work with that excuse.

iampunha
08-20-2002, 08:55 PM
I started reading the boards this afternoon and instantly one of my eyes started to water.

Now, 7 hours later, I know why.

Which eye, alice? I might be having sympathy pains, so to speak:)

Darwin's Finch
08-20-2002, 09:07 PM
This sounds about as bad as the time my friend's cat got her claws caught on the inside of his eyelid.

Owwwwie!!!

Jeep's Phoenix
08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I once had an eyelash that became ingrown and then wound up growing backwards into my eye. Luckily, it didn't actually cut the surface of my eye; it just scraped it up a lot. The hair had to be cut out though, so I did have a tiny cut on the edge of my eyelid.

robinc308
08-20-2002, 09:31 PM
My brother once punctured his cornea with a sewing needle and his eye went flat. It earned him a week in the Eye and Ear Hospital. He had to have two operations and stitches (in his eyeball) to fix it.

False_God
08-20-2002, 10:20 PM
SWEET FAIRY MOSES!

Outside of drowning and sliding down a bannister that turns into a razor blade, I think that's the worst injury I can safely think of. Cuddle the boys for all of us and have a better day.

I'm off to have some of Pappy's forgettin' medicine now to get the image out of my mind. Can I pour you one?

LindyHopper
08-21-2002, 12:07 AM
You know, I knew better than to open this thread. I mean, the title says it all, really. And papercuts (not to mention eyeball papercuts :eek: ) are one of my personal heebie-jeebie-makers. But I did it anyway. I'm such a :wally

And I've got to second Max here, alice: What exactly were you doing???

LindyHopper
08-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Oh, and robin?

Eeeeewwwwwww!!!!!

monica
08-21-2002, 12:09 AM
What did you ever do to get a paper cut on your eye?

Oh, and to comiserate with the nipple stories...When we first got my dog, I was sitting on my bed getting dressed, my dog saw my nipple and apparently thought it was her mother's teat...She jumped up and bit it! OWWWW!

Gopher
08-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Ouch! What the heck were you reading?? Now I'm glad I wear glasses so most things can't get in contact with my eyeballs.

butter pie
08-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Ick ick ick.

I had something in my eye the other day while putting on my makeup, and since I have no problems touching my eyeball I was trying to get the offending bit of dirt to stick to my fingertip and not my eye. When that didn't work, I tried to pinch it off with my fingernails. Which actually resulted in me pinching my eyeball, and since my nose was almost touching the mirror I could see it quite well. It looked like when you pinch skin on your arm and felt like rubber! My eye watered some, but it was still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I didn't even know it would do that!

Now I'm wondering how someone goes about getting a papercut on their eye...

alice_in_wonderland
08-21-2002, 01:35 AM
Well, see here's the thing.

I was looking at a recipie for Krebs while talking. When I talk, I have a habit of waiving my hands about. With the recipie in one of them. Which then sliced my right eye-ball. Ow.

It's all nasty and weird now - aching kind of. I'm going to bed and gonna see what it feels like in the AM. I may have to get some drops or something from my Dr. I hope I don't have to wear a patch - I have a job interview tomorrow evening, and I'm not sure I could find a patch to match my suit. Mind you, if I'm sitting there doing this: :rolleyes:, that might not be much better.

BAH!

Darkrabbit
08-21-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by alice_in_wonderland
Well, see here's the thing.

... I have a job interview tomorrow evening, and I'm not sure I could find a patch to match my suit. Mind you, if I'm sitting there doing this: :rolleyes:, that might not be much better.

BAH! Just say, "Yarrrrr" and "Shiver me timbers!" a lot during the interview, you should be fine!

Darkrabbit

t-keela
08-21-2002, 01:49 AM
Ow -GODDAMNED- OWWWW, I've caught hell w/ my eyes and I know what works. Put a tiny dab of Oragel on the spot w/ a q-tip. It'll burn like hell for a second or two but then it will numb out. If you can go to sleep your eye will heal itself overnight, unless there's something in it.

Don't worry I'm not jackin w/ ya this really works and is safe. I've had to do this several times as have others I've told about this.

If it's really bad it will at least get you to a doctor, info. for others that may get into a bind. I got a piece of steel in my eye and couldn't get to a doctor till the next day. This saved my ass. Numb it out put a soft gauze and tape it up. Sleep if possible.;)

Chanteuse
08-21-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by False_God
SWEET FAIRY MOSES!

Outside of drowning and sliding down a bannister that turns into a razor blade, I think that's the worst injury I can safely think of. Cuddle the boys for all of us and have a better day.

I'm off to have some of Pappy's forgettin' medicine now to get the image out of my mind. Can I pour you one?

How about sliding down a bannister that turns into a razor blade and then landing in a tub filled with alcohol? (I heard that as a teen when a group of us were trying to freak each other out--this one worked on me!!)

All I can add is my own sympathetic YEOWWCH!!! to the rest and hope that the eye mends quickly!

Babar714
08-21-2002, 02:29 AM
I shall remember you everytime I watch Young Frankenstien:

"It's pronounced Eye-Gore"

Dijon Warlock
08-21-2002, 03:23 AM
Then there's the Red Dwarf quote (more or less):

"Sharper than a parchment full of Oscar Wilde witticisms rolled into a point, dipped into lemon juice, and jabbed into your eye!"

Wikkit
08-21-2002, 03:49 AM
If your mouth is so dry you can't seal any more envelopes, please don't use your eye.

I was planning on taking my Mom to the sweet corn festival in West Point a few weekends ago, but she scratched her eye the night before somehow and couldn't see. She's one of the few who still wear hard contacts, which might have had something to do with it.

Yeah, I live in Iowa and a sweet corn festival would have made for an entertaining weekend. Cope.

alice_in_wonderland
08-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Well, it seems ok this morning.

It's still a tad sore, but I can see ok. Not too bad at all. See if I ever review a Krebs recipie for my beau again...

Eve
08-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Look at the bright side, Alice. If they ever do the remake of Un chien andalou (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0020530), you're a cinch for the female lead!

photopat
08-21-2002, 02:03 PM
AAAAAAAGH! Why was the paper that close to your eye?

I do know how much it can hurt though. When I was in college I tried hard contact lenses for a little while. One of them evidently got damaged because it abraided my cornea. That hurt like hell. It's been 18 years and I'm still not willing to risk contacts again, even if they're soft.

lieu
08-21-2002, 02:25 PM
I'd suggest you protect that thing for a day or two from any further injury. Eye patches are hard to find and you could make yourself a better one before your interview.

Get a yellow tennis ball and cut it in half. Put two small holes next to the lip straight across from each other. Tie knots in two rubber bands and run them thru the holes and then loop 'em over your ears.

There, doesn't that look better?

alice_in_wonderland
08-21-2002, 03:55 PM
I'm actually wearing my glasses today, so nothing is coming near my eyes.

I did shove my mascara wand in the other eye this morning, but that's actually a fairly common occurance (I'm a little dozey in the AM), so my eyes are used to it.

StGermain
08-21-2002, 04:05 PM
How'd the interview go?

StG

iampunha
08-21-2002, 06:48 PM
For those wondering, it was my right eye.

All I'm gonna say is alice, you owe me some sympathy pains;)

drewbert
08-21-2002, 07:08 PM
I can't read this thread.

Someone email me when the thread title is off the front page of MPSIMS. :shudder:

Atreyu
08-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Jeez, just reading the thread title alone was enough to give me a serious case of the twitches.

alice_in_wonderland
08-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by StGermain
How'd the interview go?

StG

I got the job. :)

I guess she liked my Gautier Studed Black Leather Eye-Patch. :p

GopherGod72
08-22-2002, 01:22 AM
Ack Alice... I did that once... on my way to duck hunting at 2am in the morning. I was reading a book VERY close (bad light in the truck) and sliced my eyeball with a papercut. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.. luckly it was not my aiming eye! ;) Thankfully eyes heal quicker then any other part of the body im told.

jackelope
08-22-2002, 02:00 AM
I got a bad stye one time on the inside of my left eyelid. It had to be cut out, so they shot novocaine into the eyelid (ouch!), clamped the eyelid back (which forced me to watch, of course), and cut it out. The doctor leaned right down over my eye with the scalpel/scraper, saying things like, "Ew, it looks like CREAM CHEESE in there!" I don't know if he was trying to be funny or what.

Then I had to drive myself home (hadn't thought to arrange a ride) with one eye covered--i.e., no depth perception--and blood dripping out from under the dressing. Awful experience.

But I'd do it again rather than take a papercut on my eyeball.

Tamerlane
08-22-2002, 02:17 AM
Eyes heal fast, thankfully.

Should I unlimber my oft-repeated time-I got-bit-in-the-eye-by-a-snake story :p?

Not all that traumatic for me ( even though I bled like a stuck pig ), but sure freaked out the folks around me. Right through the eyelid and into the sclera with a slight puncturey sound ( not quite a *pop*, but close ). Turned the white of my eye red-black and all the folks at work started referring to me as "snake-eyes" :D.

Never trust an Elaphe carinata, I tell ya.

- Tamerlane

t-keela
08-27-2002, 12:05 PM
I remember my little brother many years ago had a pet chicken.

That son of a bitch pecked him on his eyeball one time. Actually took out a chunk. Good thing it missed the iris and pupil. I know that must've hurt like hell!

Birds are freaky, you ever been up close to an ostrich...scary.

Hope you are well Alice..:)

BottledBlondJeanie
08-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Just my 2 cents Alice but I'd stay away from the mascara for a couple of days. Remember all those fashion magazines advising us to throw out our mascara every 3 weeks or something obcene like that...seems it can harbor bacteria.

Bacteria + Open wound = BAD

El Elvis Rojo
08-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Anything happening to an eyeball just creeps me out, but a PAPER CUT? AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Again, I'd like to know what it was you were reading so close that this happened. All I gotta say is 1) Take care and heal quickly, and 2) avoid lemons for a good long while!

Take care, and for God's sake, be careful!