PDA

View Full Version : What's the best rum to use for rum and cokes?

SenorBeef
11-06-2002, 02:53 AM
Pretty much says it all...

I can't believe that's butter!
11-06-2002, 03:09 AM
In my experience, and a true drink conossieirir -Gah!- "liker" might argue this, but any mid-priced, even quality low-priced rum would do, depending on to whom these drinks are served, as the coke seems to take out much of the signature.

Eleusis
11-06-2002, 03:40 AM
When I'm out, I drink rum and coke almost exclusively, and I prefer Bacardi Light. Nothing fancy, but it's usually the best light rum available. If I want to splurge a little, I like the Bacardi Anejo.

Asked for a simple rum and coke, most bartenders will serve up their well light rum. It's rare for anybody to use any of the darker or overproof rums with being asked for it specifically.

irishgirl
11-06-2002, 06:22 AM
um, does it have to be a standard light rum?

i'm VERY fond of Captain Morgan's spiced rum, it makes a GREAT r&c with a difference.

Marlitharn
11-06-2002, 07:15 AM
Another vote for Captain Morgan's. Almost tastes like a vanilla coke with a kick, and it goes down smoooooooth. Excellent for seducing members of the opposite sex. :)

Eleusis
11-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Occasionally, a bartender will accidently serve me a Captain and Coke, at which point I will swear up and down that one tiny sip of the noxious concoction has fouled my tastebuds and ruined my whole night.

Then I'll chug half of it while they make me a new one :D

JRDelirious
11-06-2002, 07:48 AM
Well...
...if you're going to be really traditionalist about it, and prepare the rum-and-cola drink known as a Cuba Libre (rum-n-Coke + dash of lime), it would almost have to be Bacardi and Classic Coke. Otherwise, most light rums will make very little if any noticeable difference from each other (ditto among many of the standard gold rums). The only really noticeable differences will be if you add any of the premium or flavored ones.

Jdeforrest
11-06-2002, 08:32 AM
Bacardi spiced run with coke isn't bad either. Sweeter that Captain. All in all I prefer my Captain Private Stock the best.

Athena
11-06-2002, 08:42 AM
I'm fond of Meyer's, myself. It has a molassas-y quality that stands up well to the sweetness in Coke.

Barbarian
11-06-2002, 08:55 AM
The only rum worth drinking (that I can afford to imbibe on a regular basis, natch) is Appleton Estate.

Light rum is for weenies :D

peepthis
11-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Without a doubt, the best rum for a proper run & coke (or Cuba Libres; or even better, mojitos) is Havana Club. Which you can find anywhere in the world, except the U.S. The best white rum I've ever had, and the 7 year old is perfect for drinking straight up.

That's reason enough for me to end the embargo.

Eleusis
11-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Barbarian- When I'm in Jamaica (twice a year), I drink Appleton White. It's a pretty good light rum. Some of the other Appleton rums, however, taste rancid to me at least.

Ethilrist
11-06-2002, 09:42 AM
On the suggestion of friends, I once tried drinking Bacardi 151 and Jolt.

I was wide awake with a hangover at 2 a.m.

Don't do that.

Breezy
11-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Captain Morgan all the way.

ultrafilter
11-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Ethilrist
On the suggestion of friends, I once tried drinking Bacardi 151 and Jolt.

I was wide awake with a hangover at 2 a.m.

Don't do that.

:eek:

These friends, do they actually like you?

As for the OP, I'd usually drink Bacardi or Captain Morgan's, but I had some black rum once (can't remember the brand), and it was most excellent.

ratatoskK
11-06-2002, 11:07 AM
I agree with Athena, I perfer dark rum in anything, and use Meyer's for rum-and-coke. Light rum has no identity.

porcupine
11-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Stroh rum, baby. As a shot, think liquid flaming butterscotch, but it mixes very nicely.

Rayne Man
11-06-2002, 11:44 AM
Has anyone tried Trinidad rum?. Most are the colour of whisky and the taste is halfway between Bacardi and the traditional dark rums from Jamaica and Barbados. They make an excellant rum and coke and this was the type I drank when I worked in Trinidad a few years ago. I think one brand is called " Vat 19 " and don't forget the song " Rum and Coca-Cola " is about Trinidad.

Rayne Man
11-06-2002, 11:57 AM
I forgot to say that the proper name for this product is " gold rum " and the link below illustrates the time of rum I was talking about. :-

http://www.angostura.com/flash/oldgold.shtml

ghandi5569
11-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Another vote for Captian Morgan and Coke.

But if I'm making them, I'll buy the cheapest spiced rum in a glass bottle.

photopat
11-06-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm asking for a trashing here, but I don't normally care for rum and coke. The only time I've liked it was with Malibu coconut flavored rum.

I do like the occasional daquiri mind you.

Barbarian
11-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Eleusis
Appleton rums, however, taste rancid to me at least.

Rancid? Wow. I've only had good bottles of their XV and 12-year-old.

One of my co-workers got to try some 40-year-old Appleton at a media tasting. Lucky Bastard.

radar ralf
11-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Ron Medellin and Coca-Cola is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion. It is usually made as a "Cuba Libre" as note by JRDelirious [rum, coke, juice of half a lime, dash Angustora bitters]. There are a couple of other good rums from Colombia and other S.A. locations, but Medellin is my favorite - all the folks I worked with down there preferred Ron Caldas.

Ukulele Ike
11-06-2002, 02:26 PM
If it's good rum, what are you doing putting Coca-Cola in it?

Haitian rums, and other fine golden rums, are for sipping straight.

Jamaican (dark) rums for Planter's Punch.

Bacardi (or a similar light rum from a Spanish-speaking country) for daiquiris.

I keep a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal, a black rum from Bermuda, around mainly for spiking the bean-pot. I suppose, in the unlikely event that I'd have a craving for a Cuba Libre, I'd use that in it.

Tony Barber's Underwear
11-06-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if it is available overseas, but Bundy & Coke is just about Australia's (or Queensland at least) favourite drink, besides beer. I love it, plus they have good ads starring the Wallabies (Australian Rugby Team).

You can visit their site here (http://www.bundabergrum.aust.com/)

- Bubba.

TheLoadedDog
11-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Aaah Bundy.

Bundaberg, Bundaberg, Bundaberg Rum
Puts hairs on yer chest, and hairs on yer bum,
And when we all die, and are buried in clay,
Our bodies are pickled, and never decay.

K364
11-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by peepthis
Without a doubt, the best rum for a proper run & coke (or Cuba Libres; or even better, mojitos) is Havana Club. Which you can find anywhere in the world, except the U.S. The best white rum I've ever had, and the 7 year old is perfect for drinking straight up.

That's reason enough for me to end the embargo.

Amen. Very good rum.

I've also tried Bacardi's 8 year "Reserva Superior" and found it unpleasantly sweet.

AntaresJB
11-06-2002, 09:50 PM
My vote goes for the dear old Captain Morgan. Got a half a bottle in my freezer right now. (But don't tell that to my RA.. shhh!) The first alcoholic drink I ever had was a Captain and.. Diet Pepsi, oddly enough.. but 'tis yummy.

Uncommon Sense
11-07-2002, 12:32 AM
Top shelf liquor should not be wasted in a mixed drink.
I prefer top shelf anything on the rocks.

Appelton rum is hard to drink, also doesn`t mix well. It is a sipper.

Spiced Rum mixes well with cola. Try Bacardi spice and vanilla coke, my fav. Malibu and coke go good together too.

I like to drink occasionally, but only to excess.

SenorBeef
11-07-2002, 05:43 AM
I'm not looking for top shelf, quality stuff - I agree that it'd be wasteful to mix it.

I mostly was wondering which rum complimented coke the best. I remember one of the first mixed drinks I ever have being a rum and coke, and the combination of that particular rum was excellent - I didn't think to ask what kind was used.

Eleusis
11-07-2002, 07:32 AM
SenorBeef- What you are looking for is Bacardi Light. It's what works best with Coke.

Obviously many people enjoy spiced rum and coke, a la Captain Morgan or even the relatively new spiced Bacardi, but those don't technically fall under "rum and coke" in my opinion.

JRDelirious spoke the truth.

I personally have to specifically say "NO LIME", almost every time I order, to avoid being served a Cubre Libre. If I wanted one, I'd order it.

Barbarian- Yeah, I guess that was the wrong choice of words... I mean... something like I can taste rotten fruit in there somewhere.... You'll probably agree that the standard Appleton, or even Meyer's has no place being mixed with coke. I can tolerate it a bit more in a more tropical, fruity drink like a Mai Tai, for example.

CoileŠn
11-07-2002, 11:08 AM
After my first sip of a Dark and Stormy, I knew I'd never drink R&C again. Gosling's Black Seal rum + Old Tyme ginger beer + Lime. This is best used to wash down fried platanos.

JillGat
11-08-2002, 11:02 PM
I think Appleton Estates from Jamaica (though most J'cans seem to prefer the overproof white rum rotgut for mixed drinks) and the Trinidad rums are pretty good, but I think Guyanese rum is the best: El Dorado Demerara. Not with Coke though - yech.