PDA

View Full Version : Tropic of Sir Gallahad

Jinx
03-29-2000, 07:19 AM
This lyric, from an oldie by "America" has always bugged me. What does this mean?
"The Tropic of Sir Gallahad"? {I understand "Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have..."}

------------------
"They're coming to take me away ha-ha, ho-ho, hee-hee, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time... :)" - Napoleon IV

Rysdad
03-29-2000, 08:23 AM
Don't expect anything from the band America to make sense. They also talk about "alligator lizards in the air" and "the ocean is a desert with its life underground."

They also spewed this gem: "And there ain't no-one for to give you no pain."

Pfui. They sucked then; they suck now, and forever shall they suck. The only thing good about them is that they finally had the decency to go away! Now, if that twit Steve Miller would only do the same...

Guy Propski
03-29-2000, 10:25 AM
Bad news, Rysdad--they didn't go away. America reformed several years ago, released a new album, and are currently on tour.

Jinx, you got me. The full line is:
And Cause never was the reason for the evening
Or the tropic of Sir Galahad.

The closest I can come is that "tropic" is used for one of its more obscure meanings--moving (as in phototropic, "moving towards light"). So Cause (who or whatever that is) was no excuse for Sir Galahad to move. Or something.

------------------
It's my duty; my duty as a complete and utter bastard.--Arnold J. Rimmer.

Rysdad
03-29-2000, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Guy Propski:
Bad news, Rysdad--they didn't go away. America reformed several years ago, released a new album, and are currently on tour.

This must not be! No! Jesus H. Tonedeaf, what's next, a Boyce & Hart, America and 1910 Fruitgum Company Crapapalooza Tour?

Guy Propski
03-29-2000, 11:58 AM
1910 Fruitgum Factory is, hands down, my favorite dumb name for a musical group. Thanks, Mystery Science Theatre 3000!

Hey, if the Monkees can get back together for a tour, anything is possible.

Jinx
03-29-2000, 02:12 PM
OK, what you got against Steve Miller Band?
...beyond the egotism in the "The Joker"?

------------------
"They're coming to take me away ha-ha, ho-ho, hee-hee, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time... :)" - Napoleon IV

Rysdad
03-29-2000, 08:28 PM
Steve Miller: "Billy Joe is a detective down in Texas. You know he knows just exactly what the facts is."

::cringe::

I hate that fucker.

Rysdad
03-29-2000, 08:30 PM
I may have gotten the detective's name wrong, but the sentiment still applies.

AzRaek
03-29-2000, 10:04 PM
I thought it was "the TOPIC of Sir Galahad". Still don't know what they mean...something about purity and achievement of goals?

------------------
I mis-wasted my youth.

Jophiel
03-29-2000, 11:50 PM
It's "tropic". We talked about this exact question in MPSIMS some time ago and I answered pretty definitively that it doesn't mean a thing. They just thought it sounded purty. I'd find the link to the thread, but I'm really, really lazy.

------------------
"I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn't."

torq
03-30-2000, 12:58 AM
I always interpreted that, and most of the rest of the song, to mean "the lyricist is under the effects of a Controlled Substance, or at least wants to sound as if he were."

Sam Stone
03-30-2000, 02:07 AM
Making up nonsense sentences because they sound good isn't much different than, "Shh Boom Shh Boom... Falalalalalala Shh Boom Sh Boom..."

Then there was "Hooked on a Feeling", which was a minor hit when it first came out, but a monster when it came out in a version almost identical, with the addition of a bunch of guys going, "OOGAH CHAKA OOGAH OOGAH!"

Rysdad
03-30-2000, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by dhanson:
Then there was "Hooked on a Feeling", which was a minor hit when it first came out, but a monster when it came out in a version almost identical, with the addition of a bunch of guys going, "OOGAH CHAKA OOGAH OOGAH!"

Back in '87 and '91, a local radio station used the 'oogah chaka' part of that song to "voodooize" the St. Louis Cardinals and the Atlanta Braves. It worked. The Twins won the World Series both years.

Robbespiere
03-30-2000, 08:02 AM
In a lot of music from the Beatles era to the present the lyrics are either nonsensical or incomprehensible. Many of the fans do not even know what the "artists" are singing. I always thought that such music was allowed to be widely disemminated because it is safe-it has no political or social content to give unpalatable ideas to rebellious youth.

------------------
Let the tumbrils roll!!

DSYoungEsq
03-30-2000, 09:48 AM
Oh great, y'all. Now, having read this thread from top to bottom, I have a mental picture of the dancing baby in a dies-galon sombrero dancing to America singing Horse With No Name while Sir Galahad sips Margaritas on a beach in the tropics...

And I used to think being caught up in Sesame Street songs was bad...

tanstaafl
03-30-2000, 11:38 AM
And Cause never was the reason for the evening
Or the tropic of Sir Galahad.

I always heard that as:
And cause never was the reason for leaving,
for the tropic of Sir Galahad

Still don't know what it means though....

------------------
"Sometimes I think the web is just a big plot to keep people like me away from normal society." --- Dilbert

Rysdad
03-30-2000, 04:22 PM
The line I quoted was from "Take The Money And Run," one of S. Miller's songs.

I know he's not the only, ahem, artist to use poor grammar, but his use of lousy lyrics is worse than most.

The aforementioned song reads as if it was written by a poorly-schooled seventh grader.

Irishman
03-30-2000, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jinx:
OK, what you got against Steve Miller Band? ...beyond the egotism in the "The Joker"?

Well, there is that line about "The pompatus of love."

There there's accusations he ripped off - I mean, was heavily influenced by a lot of other artists.

Mr.Zambezi
03-30-2000, 04:34 PM
Not to mention that Miller ripped off several songs and later refused to give vcredit to the original artists. Very bad form.

manhattan
03-30-2000, 04:37 PM
Just to complete the hijack, Billy Joe was not the sheriff. He was the one who shot a man while robbing his castle. Billy Mack is the one who makes his livin' off of the people's taxes.

And thank you very much for dooming me to hearing that song in my head till the thread dies and I don’t have to read it anymore.

------------------
NYC IRL III (http://boards.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/006163.html)
is on April 15th. Do you have what it takes?

Markxxx
03-30-2000, 06:27 PM
The lady who wrote "Do Ron Ron" also said she couldn't think of any words and "Do Ron Ron" came to mind and it sounded catchy. Thus the whole story.

Minxsmom
03-31-2000, 12:31 AM
Here's the MPSIMS thread. http://boards.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005643.html Not that it's any help at all.

Jinx
03-31-2000, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Rysdad:
Steve Miller: "Billy Joe is a detective down in Texas. You know he knows just exactly what the facts is."
::cringe::

1. If you're cringing at the poor grammar, don't act like he's the first artist to do so! And, I ain't referring to artsists' usage of "ain't"!

2. You imply these lyrics refer to some specific incident...do they? Please enlighten!

------------------

Beruang
04-01-2000, 03:17 AM
quote:

=====

1910 Fruitgum Factory is, hands down, my favorite dumb name for a musical group.

=====

I've always been partial to Strawberry Alarmclock. Or was it Raspberry? Damn, I've GOT to get to sleep!

------------------
"The dawn of a new era is felt and not measured." Walter Lord

Rysdad
04-01-2000, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Beruang:
quote:
I've always been partial to Strawberry Alarmclock. Or was it Raspberry? Damn, I've GOT to get to sleep!

It was Strawberry. Just a side note...the first concert I ever went to was a triple-header. Get this, the three bands were: Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Hollies and Wilson Pickett.

Eclecticism in action. Today, going to the same concert would earn you at least a dozen "diversity points."

Otto
04-01-2000, 07:38 AM
Just to complete the hijack, Billy Joe was not the sheriff. He was the one who shot a man while robbing his castle.

I thought he was the one who jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

Galahad
09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
It's a book "The Tropic of Sir Galahad", like a Dan Brown's book, but explores the misteries of a third tropic.

Chronos
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Reported spam.

md2000
09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
"Maybe it's the time of year, maybe it's the time of man..."
My money's on time of year.

Der Trihs
09-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't expect anything from the band America to make sense.

<snip>

"the ocean is a desert with its life underground."I don't know if they meant it this way, but the ocean is a vast empty area with all its life beneath the surface; "underground".

Chefguy
09-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Don't expect anything from the band America to make sense. They also talk about "alligator lizards in the air" and "the ocean is a desert with its life underground."

Alligator lizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Alligator_Lizard). They're known to jump from branch to branch. I always looked at America as the quintessential California sound of the day, with its laid back lyrics and rhythms.

md2000
09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
"I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.."
Horse, heroin? Is the drug reference too obvious or what?

"In the desert, you can't remember your name,
cuz there aint no one for to give you no pain..."
Sounds like the usual results for using horse with no name.

Rysdad
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Oh, Christ. It's back.

And, it seems that you CAN remember your name in the desert 'cause there ain't no-one for to give you no pain.

Except maybe those flying alligator lizards.

And underground life in the ocean.

And, although the cities have a heart made of ground (as opposed to...?), the humans don't love it.

Or something.

salinqmind
09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Pfui. They sucked then; they suck now, and forever shall they suck. The only thing good about them is that they finally had the decency to go away! Now, if that twit Steve Miller would only do the same...

Thank you! I can't tell you how much I loathe this band and every single song they made. No reason (other than too... dopey, too...strummy) I can elucidate. I just HATE them.

But what was wrong with the Monkees getting back together for an old-age tour? I'd a paid good money for that, they put out part of the soundtrack of my long gone youth.

Brown Eyed Girl
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Alligator lizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Alligator_Lizard). They're known to jump from branch to branch. I always looked at America as the quintessential California sound of the day, with its laid back lyrics and rhythms.
Yes. I grew up in SoCal in the 1970s and Dad played America a lot (Mom was a Steve Miller Band fan, too). So, I too think of them in laid back Southern California themes.

As for alligator lizards, I remember trying to catch them as a kid and ending up with nothing but a tail in hand. They do jump pretty good. Mom doesn't like it when you bring the tail home, but the feral cats are quite happy to take care of them for you.

And, although the cities have a heart made of ground (as opposed to...?), the humans don't love it.

Or something.
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground but the humans will give no love.

Take a walk through a city sometime and notice all the asphalt and concrete. Underneath it all is earth, but humans will never cultivate that earth (love it) because it's been buried in concrete. At least that's the way I interpret that passage.

It's not the most profound poetry in the world, but it's pop/rock. How is it any different than surrealist art?

C. Montgomery Burns
09-17-2011, 09:25 PM
And, it seems that you CAN remember your name in the desert 'cause there ain't no-one for to give you no pain.

And "the heat was hot".

Cartooniverse
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM

They also spewed this gem: "And there ain't no-one for to give you no pain."

Meh. People make things up. In some quarters it's considered Creative !! :)

For example, when queried about the lyric from "Miami 2017 ( Seen the lights go out on Broadway ) that goes " Before the Mafia took over Mexico", Billy Joel said, Hey, I made it up. No huge message. It just sounded cool.

Argent Towers
09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
In the lyrics department, America was no Zager & Evans, but in the department of sheer 70s hipster coolness, they are unbeatable...watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fI0mLz3ks) clip of them in the studio and dig the little post-tuning riff on the Ovation guitar and the mysterious search for a cigarette. I spent most of 2007 and about half of 2008 trying very hard to look and act like that guy.

samclem
09-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Cafe Society fodder. Moved.

samclem Moderator

pseudotriton ruber ruber
09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
And "the heat was hot".

Okay, what was the heat then? Cold?

pseudotriton ruber ruber
09-18-2011, 11:48 AM
And "the heat was hot".
dupe

Bridget Burke
09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you! I can't tell you how much I loathe this band and every single song they made. No reason (other than too... dopey, too...strummy) I can elucidate. I just HATE them.

But what was wrong with the Monkees getting back together for an old-age tour? I'd a paid good money for that, they put out part of the soundtrack of my long gone youth.

I sometimes thought America was a Neil Young ripoff band. Mostly, I avoided thinking about them at all.

At the time, the Monkees were considered unhip & too commercial by us hipsters. Now, their stuff sounds pretty good. (Much better than America.) Some of the LA sessions cats who played on their first album also helped some of the "hip" bands sound like real musicians....

outlierrn
09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
When I was a kid growing up in the 70's in the general vicinity of the actual Ventura Highway it was well 'known' that alligator lizards would jump out of a tree at you.

Andy L
09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
This lyric, from an oldie by "America" has always bugged me. What does this mean?
"The Tropic of Sir Gallahad"? {I understand "Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have..."}

"The Tropic of Cancer" and "The Tropic of Capricorn" were famous novels by Henry Miller - famous for having graphic descriptions of sex, and thus for being sought out at libraries by teenagers (like Jerry Seinfeld in one episode). Galahad, on the other hand, was legendarily chaste. So "The Tropic of Sir Galahad" is an amusing juxtaposition of "dirty" and "clean".

(that's what comes to my mind regarding the meaning of the line - no idea of whether it's true)

Evil Captor
09-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I think America are excellent musicians and vocalists, but really, would it have killed them to hire a lyricist?

Meurglys
09-19-2011, 06:29 AM
"Maybe it's the time of year, maybe it's the time of man..."
My money's on time of year. Is this not from Woodstock by Joni Mitchell? No obvious America reference to me.

Anyway, I remember being quite pissed off after I bought their 1st album - the UK release of it didn't have Horse with no Name on it, which was all I had heard...

Cartooniverse
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Joni Mitchell wrote 'Woodstock'. (http://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=75)

America had nothing to do with it.

well he's back
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
This group may have the worst all-around set of lyrics for their body of work of any group, ever.
just read the lyrics to 'Horse with No Name' 'Ventura Highway', 'Tin Man". Gah. They may have been stoned, or more likely just hooked up with terribly poor writers. Songs were catchy tho.

Sam A. Robrin
09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
And "the heat was hot".
...on this ever-warming globe on which we live on.

Chefguy
09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

There there's accusations he ripped off - I mean, was heavily influenced by a lot of other artists.

Steve Miller Band sucked ass. They had the best intros and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. The only halfway decent tunes they did were "Fly Like An Eagle", and maybe "Keep On Rockin' Me Baby", although I suspect the musicians were drunk or high when they recorded. Or maybe not drunk or high enough.

well he's back
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Wait - I Love me some early Steve Miller. even up to "Livin in the USA". Somebody get me a cheeseburger!

cjepson
09-19-2011, 01:36 PM
OK, what you got against Steve Miller Band?
...beyond the egotism in the "The Joker"?

In the old days, SMB had a reputation for surreptitiously using pre-recorded music in their live shows. Nowadays this is pretty much par for the course in some genres, but back then, it was considered pretty jive to pretend you were playing music that was in reality coming out of a tape deck.

(I say this as someone who really likes a lot of the early SMB stuff.)

lieu
09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
So it's not The ectopic of Sir Galahad? Because I was thinkin' hey, no problem because, you know, armor plating.

Damfino
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
...on this ever-warming globe on which we live on.
...live and let fry.

sqweels
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Everyone's talkin about the Wolfman's Pompatous of Love...

Galahad
09-23-2011, 09:39 AM
It's a Book called THE TROPICS OF SIR GALLAHAD and tells about an adventure of a lord in tropical islands after his ship wrecked.

Telemark
09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/dan-peek-dead-founding-me_n_910647.html

Is this his zombie returning?

Sorry

Marks
04-04-2014, 10:13 AM
It is reckless for us not to be open-minded. America and The Steve Miller Band tried to run so deep that it was unlikely that songlyrics would be able to solve themselves.

Marks
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Long live GTA San Andreas !!!

DChord568
04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
This must not be! No! Jesus H. Tonedeaf, what's next, a Boyce & Hart, America and 1910 Fruitgum Company Crapapalooza Tour?

I realize this is an old post, but if I had replied at the time it was made, it would have been just as germane as it is now.

One of the three members of America Dan Peek, left the band in 1977 for a career in Christian music. The other two members carried on and are still active today. Dan Peek died in 2011.

A Boyce and Hart reunion tour seems unlikely, seeing as Tommy Boyce took his own life in 1994.

As for America generally, I don't hate them, but they're a very long way from being a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, my partner in my acoustic duo loves them, so we do several of their songs. Not, thank God, "A Horse With No Name" — I would draw the line at that!

To be fair, though, that song's line "There ain't no one for to give you no pain" is often brought up derisively — but in fact this locution has a long history in folk music that stretches right up through Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" ("I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade...").

I agree with others that America is primarily of the "These words sound good, so let's sing them and not worry about any actual meaning" school.

Wile E
04-04-2014, 02:53 PM
I realize this is an old thread but I would like to pit Train against America for the title of "Most Stupid Lyrics".

DChord568
04-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Not to mention that Miller ripped off several songs and later refused to give vcredit to the original artists. Very bad form.

Which songs in particular?

The "pompatus of love" bit was lifted from an earlier R&B song, but appropriating one line and referencing it isn't the same as ripping off an entire song. (Cecil wrote a column (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/972/in-steve-millers-the-joker-what-is-the-pompatus-of-love) on this that gives the entire back story...and also spells the word in question correctly.)

For ripping off entire songs and refusing to give credit (or remuneration) to the originals, see Led Zeppelin. In the world of rock, they have no equal for this.

Chefguy
04-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Which songs in particular?

The "pompatus of love" bit was lifted from an earlier R&B song, but appropriating one line and referencing it isn't the same as ripping off an entire song. (Cecil wrote a column (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/972/in-steve-millers-the-joker-what-is-the-pompatus-of-love) on this that gives the entire back story...and also spells the word in question correctly.)

For ripping off entire songs and refusing to give credit (or remuneration) to the originals, see Led Zeppelin. In the world of rock, they have no equal for this.

Can you give a short list for LZ, or provide a link? Just curious.

CalMeacham
04-04-2014, 04:11 PM
"The Tropic of Sir Galahad" sounds like the long-lost sequel to Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer, the notoriously sexually open book that was banned in the US for many years. Maybe it concerned the exploits of Sir Galahad in Castle Anthrax, years before Monty Python and the Holy Grail was even conceived of.

There is a sorta weird connection, in that the title of the novel "Tropic of Cancer" doesn't really make much sense, either. Miller wasn't connecting it to the geographical feature with that name which marks the most northerly extent at which the sun can be directly overhead

Miller gave the following explanation of why the book's title was Tropic of Cancer: "It was because to me cancer symbolizes the disease of civilization, the endpoint of the wrong path, the necessity to change course radically, to start completely over from scratch.”[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic_of_Cancer_(novel)

In other words, Miller liked the sound of it, and had in mind the disease, not the astronomical and astrological sign and its astronomical significance. The only way he's an improvement on "America" is that there really IS something called the Tropic of Cancer, while there isn't an actual Tropic of Sir Galahad.

Marks
04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
America songlyrics`s finest trick is to provide a secret to the listener's perception. Albums "Silent Letter", "Alibi", "View from the Ground" and "Your Move" are good examples of that.
Steve Miller does the same. Album "Book of Dreams".

nevadaexile
04-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Can you give a short list for LZ, or provide a link? Just curious.

Led Zeppelin stole the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M

RivkahChaya
04-04-2014, 05:56 PM
There might actually be a real answer to this. Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote a poem called "Sir Galahad," a great deal of which is a description of a strange vision that Galahad has, not unlike the vision that is described in the rest of the song "Tin Man." Sir Galahad is moved to go on a quest by his vision, just like the Tin Man was on a quest for a heart (which he didn't have-- the reference is to the MGM movie, not the original book). Anyway, the song is a series of free associations regarding visions and quests inspired by visions, and an invitation to stick with the narrator if you believe him, and he'll take you somewhere. Maybe into the desert on a horse with no name.

Marks
04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
There might actually be a real answer to this. Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote a poem called "Sir Galahad," a great deal of which is a description of a strange vision that Galahad has, not unlike the vision that is described in the rest of the song "Tin Man." Sir Galahad is moved to go on a quest by his vision, just like the Tin Man was on a quest for a heart (which he didn't have-- the reference is to the MGM movie, not the original book). Anyway, the song is a series of free associations regarding visions and quests inspired by visions, and an invitation to stick with the narrator if you believe him, and he'll take you somewhere. Maybe into the desert on a horse with no name.

Perfect, RivkahChaya.

madmac17
05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Steve Miller Band sucked ass. They had the best intros and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. The only halfway decent tunes they did were "Fly Like An Eagle", and maybe "Keep On Rockin' Me Baby", although I suspect the musicians were drunk or high when they recorded. Or maybe not drunk or high enough.

I disagree. I think SMB had many good songs even better than the ones you mentioned: Living in the USA, My Dark Hour, Your Saving Grace, Going to Mexico, Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around, Evil, and an excellent cover of Come On in My Kitchen.

Finagle
05-02-2016, 12:45 PM
This group may have the worst all-around set of lyrics for their body of work of any group, ever.
just read the lyrics to 'Horse with No Name' 'Ventura Highway', 'Tin Man". Gah. They may have been stoned, or more likely just hooked up with terribly poor writers. Songs were catchy tho.

Back in college, I did photography for the student paper, so I saw a lot of concerts. Most of them suffered from the usual rock concert problems -- over loud, muffled lyrics, crappy sound systems (with a special shout out to Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes who not only sucked, but had a roadie who threatened to smash my camera). America, on the other hand, had the cleanest production I've ever heard for a concert. Very enjoyable and I didn't have tinnitus afterwards.

drad dog
05-02-2016, 07:12 PM

Who did he rip off?

Steve Miller made lots of great music if you were listening.

Kow Kow Calculator

Babys callin me home

drad dog
05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lp7x6rmHgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg69ZICiqBE

RealityChuck
05-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Steve Miller did indeed have many good songs -- but next to nothing after Number 5.

Starving Artist
05-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Regarding the 'alligator lizards in the air' lyric, IIRC the song's writer said it refers to cloud formations he watched as a boy while his father changed a flat tire.

Apropos of nothing much, I was one of the first people in the country to hear music by America. A high school friend had joined the army and just prior to his discharge was stationed in Germany, where America was becoming popular after becoming known in the Netherlands, where they had moved from England to hone their craft. This was somewhere around early '71. My friend brought their album home to the U.S. and played if for me, telling me that they were being groomed to become the next big thing in music in the U.S. I liked their sound but thought it was kind of lightweight and didn't pay much attention to his claims of their impending success.

I was wrong. :D

drad dog
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Steve Miller did indeed have many good songs -- but next to nothing after Number 5.

Agreed. But I want you to listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1eQnNwIF0

Exapno Mapcase
05-04-2016, 03:34 AM
My friend brought their album home to the U.S. and played if for me, telling me that they were being groomed to become the next big thing in music in the U.S. I liked their sound but thought it was kind of lightweight and didn't pay much attention to his claims of their impending success.
That first album was really good. And commercially perfect in the post-CSN world. (Never understood why anybody thought they sounded like Neil Young.) Three writers, three lead singers, solid harmonies, lots of guitar with Stills as a big influence, and hooks all over the place.

Gyrate
05-04-2016, 06:49 AM
"There were plants and birds and rocks and things".

THINGS, I tell you! Unspeakable things, beyond the ken of mortal man! Out there, in the desert! Mark my words, young man, and beware!

drad dog
05-05-2016, 11:57 AM
That first album was really good. And commercially perfect in the post-CSN world. (Never understood why anybody thought they sounded like Neil Young.) Three writers, three lead singers, solid harmonies, lots of guitar with Stills as a big influence, and hooks all over the place.

? Horse with no name sounded exactly like Neil Young fronting CSN. Not even an asterisk there.