PDA

View Full Version : So what are *you* afraid of?

XJETGIRLX
12-10-2002, 12:30 PM
Okay, so I'm looking online for information regarding apiphobia support groups (can't find any to save my soul!) and it got me wondering what kind of crazy phobias some of you dopers must have.

So fess up! If you don't have one, I'm sure you can find one that fits you here (http://www.psychnet-uk.com/phobia_list/phobialist.html).

What is the most difficult thing about your phobia?

What (if any) are the benefits?

Mooch
12-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Mine is snakes. In fact theonly thing I have nightmares about (which is rare in itself) anymore is snakes.

So scratch that off your Christmas list for me.

Or put it on.

Eve
12-10-2002, 12:38 PM
I have Ergo-gymno-necro-andro-cyno-phobia (fear of working with naked dead men who have rabies).

Mooch
12-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, I'll have what Eve's having.

In Conceivable
12-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanatophobia: Fear of death. (who isn't?)
Isolophobia: Fear of solitude, being alone. (Not alone for an hour but really alone forever.)

I don't really think of those things as phobias because I am not irrationally afraid. But, I am afraid.

drm
12-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Agoraphobia - Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places or leaving a safe place.

I've had this one for a while. The most difficult thing is finding a way to do christmas shopping. I start to have a panic attack when there is too many people in one place. Have you tried going to a mall in downtown toronto in december? Forget about it, you can barely move. It isn't so bad that I'm afraid to leave my appartment but I don't wander around outside for any length of time...I pretty much do what I have to do and then come home.

The benefits are (I guess) that when I do have a family, I'll be able to spend lots and lots of time with them at home.

Eve
12-10-2002, 12:52 PM
. . . I also have angoraphobia (fear of Ed Wood movies).

Loneraven
12-10-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm afraid of snakes, like Mooch. When I was younger, I couldn't even look at pictures of them (not photographs, pictures!) Now I can, just about... but when in India a few months ago, I saw a snake charmer and his "pets" on the street, and had a panic attack right there.

And it would be okay if it stopped there... but I'm also afraid of lifts - elevators. Not as bad as the snakes, as I can ride in them if I really have to, but I'll avoid it at all costs for fear of another panic attack.

And oh, yes - I'm a little afraid of physical contact. I can't stand for people to touch me or hug me...

Oh, dear hyne... reading this, I never realised before how screwed up I seem to be...

~Raven

Kwyjibo
12-10-2002, 12:53 PM
Clowns.
Deathly afraid of them. They are the embodiment of pure evil.

But I guess it ties in with my other phobia. I hate those guys that dress up as charactes. Like Mickey Mouse, and Fred Flintstone. I have to work up a nerve to go near them. I guess I don't trust anything or anyone when I can't see their real face.

drm
12-10-2002, 01:08 PM
I also have Ergophobia: Fear of work. There are many many people who can back me up on this one.

OfBlinkingThings
12-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm scared of bigfoot. No joke. If I am near woods I get very nervous. Wierd thing is I don't even believe in the creature. I try to be rational about it but the fear always persists.

mallen
12-10-2002, 01:25 PM
I have an unnatural fear of bees, wasps or hornets, anything that can sting me. I can feel my heart racing in the summer with the sight of one.

Honey
12-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
Clowns.
Deathly afraid of them. They are the embodiment of pure evil.

But I guess it ties in with my other phobia. I hate those guys that dress up as charactes. Like Mickey Mouse, and Fred Flintstone. I have to work up a nerve to go near them. I guess I don't trust anything or anyone when I can't see their real face.

Eek! me too. I watched IT this weekend and I thought I would die.

Ukulele Ike
12-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by OfBlinkingThings
If I am near woods I get very nervous.

Well, even if Bigfoot isn't in there, there ARE big scary bears with powerful claws and razor-sharp teeth and ravening appetites. So don't feel bad.

Kalhoun
12-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Most bugs/spiders scare me (sans ladybugs and box elder bugs). Snakes and lizards are cool. Clowns scare the bejeezus outta me (and I used to BE one!). Mines scare me, too. I'm not much for heights in my old age, either. Oh, dear...I'm turning into an old crazy lady.

XJETGIRLX
12-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by mallen
I have an unnatural fear of bees, wasps or hornets, anything that can sting me. I can feel my heart racing in the summer with the sight of one.

Me too! Actually, my irrational fear has reached out to embrace anything that buzzes. Almost had a heart attack one day when my neighbor on the other side of the fence started up his week wacker!

::shiver:: I can't even stand to write out buzzes. Gives me the creeps.

I just know that one day I'll end up with my car wrapped around a tree when one of the little bastards succeeds in making a home in my car. Oh yes, they are taunting me. I had one follow me down the road about 3 inches from my cracked-open window. I had to roll the window shut really quickly. Damn bugger followed me for about a mile. Not a lot of fun with no air conditioning in the Florida summer.

scout1222
12-10-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm afraid of:

1. Bees (looks like I'm not the only one!)
2. Going blind

I guess those are the biggies that pop into my head right away.

merge
12-10-2002, 01:54 PM
muppets

Mooch
12-10-2002, 02:01 PM
I guess I'm the "afraid of clowns" group too. I think Poltergeist did that to me when I was little.

I thought I was a tough guy...

Woeg
12-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Porcelin dolls. The older they are, the scarier they are. My mom has one she inheritated that's well over a hundred years old, and I can't stand being in the same room as the bloody thing.

lovelyluka
12-10-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm afraid of spiders...as many people are. But if I see one crawling on my wall I am brave enough to get a tissue and squish it.

What I am REALLY afraid of is worms. Not necessarily the parasitic kind, although those aren't wonderful either. I'm afraid of the kind that wriggle around on the sidewalk on rainy days like today, especially when they're everywhere and you can't help but step on one and then it's stuck to your SHOE....oh God....*curls into a ball*

Carcosa
12-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Lilapsophobia: Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes.

Hurricanes don't bother me. However, the sudden awareness at 2:00 AM that your house is in the immediate vicinity of a tornado is a bit unnerving.

merge
12-10-2002, 02:10 PM
"worms roxanne, I was afriad of worms"...

sorry lovelyluka, your post made me think of the movie quote...

dwc1970
12-10-2002, 02:33 PM
My biggest fear of all is the fear of bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, etc., none of which are specifically listed in the OP's link, just entomophobia, which is the fear of insects in general.

On the first day of school in the fourth grade I and several other classmates were caught in a swarm of yellow jackets and most of us were stung (I was stung twice, but the sound of their angry buzzing and the sight of streaks of yellow in front of me as they flew all around me was horrifying!) Over the preceding summer a yellow jacket nest had been built in a group of trees on the playground. I never went near those trees again after this incident.

The most difficult thing about my phobia is that when I am threatened by any of these stinging insects they are difficult to subdue or escape, plus they can attack en masse. I also have fears of snakes and spiders, but they usually don't attack in large numbers and are easier to escape if not subdue.

I can't think of any benefits to this particular fear, other than that it gives me another reason to stay indoors even in the summer since I can't tolerate being out in the sun for very long.

bup
12-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Aibohphobia (http://www.gluemeat.com/comics/20021004.html).

Fear of palindromes.

XJETGIRLX
12-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by bup
Aibohphobia (http://www.gluemeat.com/comics/20021004.html).

Fear of palindromes.

My favorite palindrome:

Tulsa nightlife: filth, gin, a slut

chm
12-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Telephonophobia - I'm irrationally afraid of calling people. I have to give myself "pep talks" before I pick up the phone, and reherse what I'm going to say. I convince others to make calls for me, even to call friends (there are very few people close enough to me that I will call them voluntarily) I made a pretty good subject for a psychology study once, because of this.

I'm slightly afraid of flying, but that's a more "normal" fear, and I do not alter my plans to avoid flying. I just take a few deep breaths during takeoff. :)

Tabithina
12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
chm, I'm also loathe to call people for the same reason. We wouldn't make very good telemarketers, eh? :)

av8rmike
12-10-2002, 03:52 PM
No, not flying, though that would be ironic, like my medical student friend afraid of knives* and blood.

Mine is hydrophobia, though only so far as it applies to swimming pools and the ocean. I have this weird thing about my head underwater; I don't mind showers but I don't like all that water running onto my face.

I must also mention athazagoraphobia, since I always feel like I'm being ignored or excluded, and arachibutyrophobia, since no one likes peanut butter stuck to the roof of their mouth.

*- Odd, no mention of fear of knives or sharp things on the phobia list pages.

AskNott
12-10-2002, 04:14 PM
When I was younger, I was completely convinced that pretty women didn't want to be around me or talk to me. Confronting one would turn me into a mumbling idiot, guaranteed to say the wrong thing. I have mostly conquered that problem, but it crops up now and then. When I tell a woman she looks "terrific," I mean it in the original sense, "scary."

Fretful Porpentine
12-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tabithina
chm, I'm also loathe to call people for the same reason. We wouldn't make very good telemarketers, eh? :)
I'm much the same way, and I actually was a telemarketer. I lasted a day. (I was supposed to be marketing to doctors' offices, so at least the receptionists weren't too rude; I shudder to think what it would be like to have to call people at home.)

I'm also afraid of driving and centipedes. I suppose the driving one might have some side benefits, in that I'm less likely than the average person to die in a car accident, but I'd still much rather be without it.

Adridne
12-10-2002, 04:34 PM
That terrifying little girl from The Ring. This goes way beyond normal movie fear. I saw it six weeks ago and I still make my boyfriend shut the door between his bedroom and the room with the TV before we go to sleep. For some reason I'm especially scared in the bathroom. When I'm sleeping alone I know that she's standing over my bed or in a corner of the room watching me.

I have to stop seeing horror movies.

Zebra
12-10-2002, 04:50 PM
eeewwww-a-phobia

fear of being a taster on Iron Chef on eel night.

Coordinate-a-phobia

Fear of having to dress my self and match my socks to my tie to the rest of my clothes.

and Eve

I thought Angoraphobia was the fear of being smothered by Mamie VanDorne?

Which I have.

Bippy the Beardless
12-10-2002, 05:25 PM
No phobias myself, but a friend who is otherwise fairly macho sort of person screams whenever he sees even a tiny spider.
Makes me wish homophobes were really homophobic, love to take one down to the Castro reigion of San Francisco. "Is that a man wearing lipstick, screeeeaaaammmmmmm!"

Cheers, Keithy

Alereon
12-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Spiders. Even a little spider makes me scream like a girl and run away, or attempt to kill/trap it under something.

Ryan_Liam
12-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Why would someone be afraid of Beautiful women?

SCSimmons
12-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Obviously, you've never been chased be a screaming, out-of-control pack of beautiful women, Ryan.

YellowTail
12-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
My favorite palindrome:

Tulsa nightlife: filth, gin, a slut

That's an anagram, not a palindrome.

XJETGIRLX
12-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by YellowTail
That's an anagram, not a palindrome.

Well, aside from the punctuation it reads the same forwards or backwards.
A palindrome, n'est-ce pas?

Jake
12-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Me too! Ergo-gymno-necro-andro-cyno-phobia has been my biggest problem since wetting the bed! I've conquerd it since my program with Bud Light.

SCSimmons
12-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
So fess up! If you don't have one, I'm sure you can find one that fits you here (http://www.psychnet-uk.com/phobia_list/phobialist.html).

Boy, that list is just begging for some satire:

A
Ablutophobia: Fear of washing or bathing. But hopefully not too afraid of being really smelly.
Acrophobia: Fear of heights.
Aeroacrophobia: Fear of open high places. And this is distinct from acrophobia how? Do acrophobes panic when the elevator passes the third floor?
Altophobia- Fear of heights. Redundanophobia: fear of redundancies
Amnesiphobia: Fear of amnesia. Now I remember! That's what I was afraid of!
Arachnophobia: Fear of spiders. Or really bad horror movies.
Automysophobia: Fear of being dirty. Boy, would it suck to have this and ablutophobia, or what?
Autophobia: Fear of being alone or of oneself. In a car.

B
Bacillophobia: Fear of microbes.
Bacteriophobia: Fear of bacteria. Virophobia: Fear of viruses. Retrovirophobia: Fear of retroviruses.

C
Catagelophobia: Fear of being ridiculed. Catagelophobophobia. Fear of being ridiculed for having catagelophobia.
Cibophobia: Fear of food. Mmmm. Donuts.
Cyberphobia: Fear of computers or working on a computer. I thought this was normal.

D
Dishabiliophobia: Fear of undressing in front of someone. I volunteer to assist any attractive women with this disease in some exposure therapy. (Heh-heh. 'Exposure' therapy. Heh-heh.)

E
Elurophobia: Fear of cats. I'm afraid of really, really big cats. Does that count?
Erotophobia- Fear of sexual love or sexual questions. Heh-heh. Exposure therapy. God, I crack myself up.

F
Felinophobia: Fear of cats. Redundanophobophobia: Fear of redundanophobia.
Frigophobia: Fear of cold, cold things. Frigogynophobia: Fear of cold, cold women.

G
Gamophobia: Fear of marriage. Much more common among married people.
Genophobia: Fear of sex. Have I mentioned exposure therapy?
Gymnophobia: Fear of nudity. I guess this must be fear of being nude all by yourself.
Gynophobia: Fear of women. Natural and positive, thank you.

H
Homophobia: Fear of homosexuality or becoming homosexual. Ahh! What if I became homosexual? Um, I guess I'd have to change the exposure therapy references to solicit 'attractive men.' Whatever.
Hoplophobia: Fear of firearms. Hah! Your firearms don't scare ... meeeee ... [rattle]
Hydrophobia: Fear of water or of rabies. Um, which?
Hydrophobophobia: Fear of rabies.Hydrophobophobophobia: Fear of hydrophobophobia.

I
Illyngophobia: Fear of vertigo. Or of Hitchcock movies in general.

K
Kolpophobia: Fear of genitals mainly female genitals. Um, yeah, I have this. Anyone want to help [b]me with some exposure therapy?

L
Lockiophobia: Fear of childbirth. Hell, I'm even afraid of going into labor.

M
Medorthophobia: Fear of an erect penis. OK, you try to do something like this without a stupid running joke!

N
Numerophobia: Fear of numbers. "So, how long have you been having this problem?" "Gee, doc, I guess ... about ... AAAAAAH!!"

O
Odontophobia: Fear of teeth or dental surgery. I think I'll have a root canal this weekend. Might as well live it up!
Ophthalmophobia: Fear of being stared at. A lot of women I stare at seem to have this problem. Well, either this or medorthophobia. Maybe I should try to determine which, by staring at some women without masturbating.

P
Philemaphobia: Fear of kissing. Tired of the exposure therapy joke yet? HA-HA-HA! You must read this post to the end!
Pogonophobia: Fear of beards. I promise my beard will not harm you in any way. It may, perhaps, tickle your chin. Or neck. Or upper thighs ... Hey, where are you going?
Potophobia: Fear of alcohol. I'll drink to that!

R
Rectophobia: Fear of rectum. Supply the joke for this punchline: "Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

T
Tachophobia: Fear of speed. Frankly, I'm a lot more afraid of Speed 2: Cruise Control

U
Urophobia- Fear of urine or urinating. How long can you hold it? What if I play this recording of a waterfall? Bwah-hah-hah!

V
Virginitiphobia: Fear of rape. WTF? Is this supposed to mean that only virgins are afraid of rape? Or something?

X
Xenophobia: Fear of strangers or foreigners. Or Lucy Lawless. Come to think of it, she does kind of scare me sometimes.

Thank you! I'll be here all week!

pepperlandgirl
12-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by chm
Telephonophobia - I'm irrationally afraid of calling people. I have to give myself "pep talks" before I pick up the phone, and reherse what I'm going to say. I convince others to make calls for me, even to call friends (there are very few people close enough to me that I will call them voluntarily) I made a pretty good subject for a psychology study once, because of this.

I'm slightly afraid of flying, but that's a more "normal" fear, and I do not alter my plans to avoid flying. I just take a few deep breaths during takeoff. :)

Me too. I won't even call my friends.

Mine, in order:
1-Snakes
2-Heights
3-Chickens
4-Being close to tall buildings
5-Dentists
6-Clowns

Zoe
12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
The strangest phobia that I have encountered was a woman who had a fear of using her hands. She couldn't write a check, pass an offering plate, etc. Can you imagine?

Agoraphobia - Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places or leaving a safe place.

I've had this one for a while. The most difficult thing is finding a way to do christmas shopping.

I have a mild form of agoraphobia and did all of my Christmas shopping through catalogs and the internet. So easy! There is one slight problem. Since I have done this for years, I now receive and average of about ten catalogs a day. During the Christmas season, that jumps to about thirty. So, does anyone know the correct word for "fear of the mail arriving"? Or "fear of full recycling bins"? Or "fear of Bloomingdale's models"?

iconoplast
12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
I'm afraid of talking to strangers on the phone, people without any morals, poisonous insects, and sleeping. I used to be afraid of driving, but I think I've moved past that one.

Flowerchild
12-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Clowns

Insanity

The Dark

Heights

Ringo
12-10-2002, 09:22 PM
The strangest phobia that I have encountered was a woman who had a fear of using her hands. She couldn't write a check, pass an offering plate, etc. Can you imagine?

Was it truly a phobia? A lot of people who have tremors are self--conscious about using their hands in public.

Flowerchild
12-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah, I'm also deathly afraid of escalators (sp?)

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
12-10-2002, 09:33 PM
I am deadly afraid of learning how to drive. I've driven the car twice. It made me so nervous I could barely concentrate. It's just the thought of having something huge and powerful and heavy in my control, when I have problems walking in a straight line and not running into things...I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it.

12-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Lessee

Fear of priapism. More a guilt thing than a fear thing, but there you go.
Fear of going insane.
Fear of bridges. I actually have recurring dreams about bridges, and it's awful. Haven't had one for a while now.

Flowerchild
12-10-2002, 09:47 PM
My mom has claustrophobia and fear of going under water, you should have heard that horrible pranks we played on her at the 20,000 leaguesa under the sea ride.

wireless
12-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by SCSimmons
Acrophobia: Fear of heights.
Aeroacrophobia: Fear of open high places. And this is distinct from acrophobia how?
Yup, they're distinct, at least for me.
I don't mind heights: I go up in tall buildings, fly a plane, even climb to the top of cell towers (harnessed). No problem.
But if it's a cliff or a big open window in a tall building or similar...
:eek:
Even standing in front of a big glass window from high up in a tall building where it looks like open space is kind of freaky for me. But if there's a fence or wall - again, no problem.
Maybe I don't trust myself not to jump? (Yes, ;) )

IThinkNot
12-10-2002, 10:00 PM
I fear nothing.

No, I'm kidding. :) Although I am kind of out there---I have absolutely no problem with snakes, mice, clowns, the dark, small spaces, etc.

I don't know what the medical term for it is, but I know this: I am deeply afraid of being raped. It's just something that's always been kind of in the back of my head, and most of the time I don't think about it, but when I see a creepy guy with more tattoos than teeth that paranoia just rushes up into my head and I'm scared all of a sudden.

Or it could be just a phobia of creepy guys running the Ferris Wheel at small-town carnivals. You never know about them carneys. :)

calm kiwi
12-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Thank you flowergirl for saying you are afraid of the dark. I feel completely stupid for still being afraid of the dark at 36. I cope by leaving the TV in the bedroom on all night (no sound) such a comforting glow :)

As a kid I was deathly afraid of the loo....I thought a witch came out of there as soon as the flush ended.

Made night visits to the loo verryyyyyy scary.......ok I will stop there to save myself from pointing out where I usually peed (I was a kid!!!!)

BobT
12-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Grasshoppers.

Not many other bugs. I can be around dragonflies. I can be around stinging insects.

But grasshoppers scare the bejeezus out of me. Won't go to a place that is known to get locust swarms. Afraid of being around agricultural areas where lots of them tend to live.

Flowerchild
12-10-2002, 10:12 PM
I know the feeling of leaving the T.V on when you sleep.

That reminds me of when My parents tried to get me a life by sending me to camp, I just couldnt sleep with all of the lights out and all of the cricket noises and stuff, complete misery.

IThinkNot
12-10-2002, 10:32 PM
I think part of the whole going-off-to-summer-camp fear thing is partly fear of being in a new place. I remember I went off to a sort of writing/journalism course a few summers ago, and it was a dorm thing, and it was all completely dark. There were no windows in my room, just bare walls and a desk, and it was DARK.

No lights. No nothing. Just pitch black. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. I was absolutely terrified. I went without sleep every night for five nights.

Another thing about that camp: it took place in a prep-school sort of campus, except it was a Catholic school. I have nothing against that, don't get me wrong, but there was this time when we passed around a notebook and wrote our schools on it.

I WAS FROM THE ONLY PUBLIC SCHOOL. All the rest went to private religious schools, and they were all Catholic. They turned out to be really nice, and I met some really cool people, but I was the ONLY Lutheran out of about a hundred kids.

I see I have gone off on the wrong topic. :smack:
Many apologies for my long windedness.

Agrippina
12-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Virginia Woolf.

Seriously, though, I'm deathly afraid of fire. I have never used a lighter, and have only lit a match once. Didn't even touch a stove until I was in my teens and can't stand Fourth of July. Sparklers are the only things I can handle. I've finally gotten to the point where I don't rush out of the room when my parents light the fireplace.

drewbert
12-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Not sure if it's actually a phobia, since for so many reasons it feels perfectly rational to me, but I definitely am afraid of driving too. I just know I'd be a lousy driver, especially in any situation where I'd have to react quickly. I still remember damn near causing an accident on my first attempt at the driver's test, and if I think about it too hard I still get a little upset about it. Nope, I don't want to be the cause of an accident, nosirthankyouverymuch, the near miss was quite enough for me.

sunstone
12-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Acarinaphobia - the fear of Ticks. I made up the term just now......Acarina is the name of thegroup of creatures we call "Ticks"...and phobia means fear.

Does anyone know an actual name for this specific fear?

Spoc
12-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Hey, OfBlinkingThings.....are you going to look for a replacement phobia, now that Big Foot is dead? Off to the woods with you!

:eek:

Gopher
12-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Spiders. They creep me out so much. Thankfully, I have my electric fly swatter handy so *zap* and a spark and they start smoking. Then I dump then in the toilet and the crisis is over. Phew.

But one time I woke up with a dead spider on my hand. That is something you don't want to see/feel right after wakeing from a nice slumber.

dono
12-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by av8rmike:
Odd, no mention of fear of knives or sharp things on the phobia list pages.

Yeah, mike, I was surprised to see this thing on its second page with no mention of my secret dread: hypodermic needles.

The last time I had a blood draw was for my pre-marriage physical, and that was many years ago, and I only did it because the law said I had to. I will break into a cold sweat and nearly pass out during a blood draw. I'm always being guilted-out for not participating in the Red Cross blood drives ... but, hey ... ::looks at floor, shuffles feet::. (OTOH, I'll kill all those nasty spiders for you! Got a snake in the yard you need gotten rid of? No prob!)

You can imagine what a horror show a trip to the dentist is for me. Think Winston Smith, as the cage of rats nears his face, their yellow teeth glinting... *

And of course, it's completely irrational. After every blood draw or novocaine shot, I think, "That wasn't so bad! Piece o' cake! Next time I won't be such a big baby!" And the next time, I'll be shaking like a leaf, with cold drops of sweat pouring off my forehead. Because you can't logically talk yourself out of a phobia.

* I hope I'm remembering this correctly. It's been a long time since I read 1984.

Damascene
12-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Deep water.

Nothing is more terrifying to me than the thought of swimming along and then looking down to see nothing but a profound and all-engulfing darkness beneath me...nothing but open water that plunges inexorably down, down, down, to end at the bottom of the world where all is freezing black depth and crushing darkness <shudder>

The mere thought is enough to chill my blood and shut down all higher brain functions. It's an overwhelming and primal fear that seems to surface from someplace deep within...

Pools are just fine, lakes are pretty bad, but there is no way in hell you'd ever get me over the side of a boat in the open ocean. The best I've ever been able to do was to go snorkelling in the Red Sea above some coral. Even though it was only about thirty feet down, I was almost hyperventilating.

Funnily enough, I'm fine with heights. I'll gladly hike up mountains or go bungee-jumping, but depths are a problem.

Next worst fear is sharks - not just the fact that they are deadly killing machines that will eat you alive, but the dead, cold look in their eyes - like there's nothing there.

Oh, and Spiders. Spiders suck too, but I don't usually have too much of a problem unless they're big. The worst one I ever had the misfortune of encountering was so big I could hear it scuttle across the floor.:eek:

Ryan_Liam
12-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I fear flying. The fact that your 30,000 feet up and can't do anything about it really irritates me.

Agrippina
12-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dono
You can imagine what a horror show a trip to the dentist is for me. Think Winston Smith, as the cage of rats nears his face, their yellow teeth glinting... *

And of course, it's completely irrational. After every blood draw or novocaine shot, I think, "That wasn't so bad! Piece o' cake! Next time I won't be such a big baby!" And the next time, I'll be shaking like a leaf, with cold drops of sweat pouring off my forehead. Because you can't logically talk yourself out of a phobia.

Ever see Marathon Man with Laurence Olivier as the Nazi dentist? That's a logical reason to hate dentists. :D

"Is it safe?"

dono
12-11-2002, 02:19 PM
No, I never saw that one, bean_shadow. Don't think I'll rush out to rent it, either. ::shudder::

Breezy
12-11-2002, 03:17 PM
I peronally am afraid of the dark (Achluophobia)! My husband has to take the dog out at night, because I CAN'T do it!

XJETGIRLX
12-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by bean_shadow
Ever see Marathon Man with Laurence Olivier as the Nazi dentist? That's a logical reason to hate dentists. :D

"Is it safe?"

Oh my, had almost forgotten I saw that! I think I blocked it out!
Definitely not for anyone who is afraid of the dentist!
Wonderful film though, don't let that stop you from seeing it.
(Just have someone tell you when to close your eyes, or watch the edited version on t.v.)

Shirley Ujest
12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Hello, my name is Shirley Ujest and I have a few odd phobias:

The perfume nazis err... ladies at the mall. Seig Heil!

Eye chart tests

Driver liscense tests.

Other than that, anything else is handled on a case by case basis.