PDA

View Full Version : 'Cleverboy', step inside please.

Jessity
12-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Hello! Sit down and shut the fuck up.

I'm not on a goddamn holy high horse. The link (http://sherm.20megsfree.com/burgerking.swf) you posted in your MPSIMS thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=2744567#post2744567) was tacky and tasteless, and I'm not the only person who found it to be so. You want to make fun of mentally handicapped people? Don't do it here. "Don't be a jerk." Learn it. Love it. Live it.

I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to tell you you're link was fucking tasteless and fucking tacky. Is that clear enough?

Don't fucking tell me that shit you posted was funny. It wasn't.

You start up with:

Originally posted by Cleverman
What the fuck is WRONG with you people? It was a fucking joke. Thank you Siemsi for understanding.

Get off the cross, for fuck's sake. Just a joke. Okay? A joke. Jesus.

Nobody called you 'some offending ass'. I turned your question at you and asked what was wrong with you.

Neither you, nor Siemsi have any place telling me or anybody else to 'lighten up' regarding this subject. Especially when after ONLY expressing disapproval of the link you offered, we're told to LIGHTEN UP! Like we DIDN'T GET IT!

That's all. Don't you have homework or something to be doing?

black rabbit
12-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Huzzah. He also came off like a total prick in this GQ thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=151356).

Way to make an entrance, sparky.

Helen's Eidolon
12-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Yeah, real funny :rolleyes:

And now, a quote which contains some of the smartest words I have seen posted here (parts edited out to contextualize):

QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyla
As I have observed Esprix comment many times, what some people call "P.C.", others call "being polite." I am so sick of people complaining about everyone being too P.C., when all people want is for these morons to behave with the slightest bit of common decency. If someone wants their ethnic group to be called by one moniker instead of another, fucking be polite and do it! It's not "P.C."! It's called respect!

GUESS WHAT? You're not being politically incorrect by being rude - you're being a fucking moron who needs to learn manners. [/QUOTE]

KneadToKnow
12-19-2002, 07:27 PM
My favorite post from that GQ thread:
Do you think I'm an idiot?Originally posted by Mangetout
On which of your posts in this thread would you like us to base our assessment?
:D:D:D:D

Tripler
12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
black455, hey thanks for that one. I now realize the full spectrum of idiocy we deal with here.

I was gentle with the lad in the thread Jessica2 highlighted. So, let me be blunt:

To blindly post material which some would reasonably find offensive, and then cry about the negative replies is childish. You set yourself up for an ambush and then got lit up by it. Sucks to be you.

Now turn off the computer before Mom hears you crying and whining and comes to find out what sort of bigotry you're spreading.

Tripler
After reading your responses to other posters, yes, I do think you're an idiot.

wring
12-19-2002, 07:32 PM
that was in MPSIMS????

:eek:

Gosh, I'm so glad I don't hang out there - they're mean!!!

AncientHumanoid
12-19-2002, 07:39 PM
His user name appears to be a misnomer. Look. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151355)

After being helped, and nicely, too I might add, by two Dopers, he still cops an attitude. :wally:

I looked at the "Hilarious" thread, but when I saw the burgerking in the url, I knew what it was, someone had already sent me that. Some of my buds are incredibly witty, others try to make up for lack of wits with smarmy "funny" shit. (And this is coming from a guy of such low taste I posted in Mnementh's mad prophet thread. (That was funny). I've even asked for Lieu to post! :smack:

So, I say again, you ludicrous pile of fetid maggots feeding on the juicy decomposition of Fluffy who was accidently run over on a hot summer day and not found for a couple of days cleverman, you're not so clever. Now, shut up and learn some manners.

btw, my apologies for offending the normal people here. ;)

roadrunner70
12-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Obviously, our screen names aren't totally accurate. F'rinstance, I'm not really a superbee, and...well, mebbe he forgot the "not too" at the beginning of his.

Arden Ranger
12-19-2002, 07:48 PM
What a charming fellow. :rolleyes:

Dangerosa
12-19-2002, 07:51 PM
I pull out my crystal ball and I see.....

Cleverboy having a very short tenure on the SDMB

or

Cleverboy catching the clue bus and cleaning up his act.

Morbo
12-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Sigh. I tried, I really did try, to help you Cleverman.

Look at the subject line in his very first post in the link NoClueBoy posted above. That was the original title of his very first thread. I happened to have already seen Nemesis, but if I hadn't...sheesh. (Don't read it if you haven't seen Nemesis and are planning to).

Cleverman, I see you apologize here and there for your indiscretions. I suggest you do it again, immediately.

Cleverman
12-19-2002, 07:58 PM
I don't understand the problem. Siemsi thought it was funny. I thought it was funny. Munch thought it was funny. But suddenly I'm some evil bigoted asshole because other people didn't find it funny? I didn't realize you could get banned for your sense of humor. Will Siemsi and Munch get banned for laughing? ::shrug::

I apologize for the "offensive" joke. OK?

I do not apologize for my sense of humor. I also think dead baby jokes and racist jokes are funny. Sorry if you are offended by them, I will not post them anymore, but to attack me like this is fucking ridiculous. Not everyone is as PC as you fucking saints.

Merry Non-religious inoffensive Politically Correct Gift Day!

samboy
12-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Can I put my hand up and agree that this guy is a fucking asshole. In that IE GQ thread he immediately comes across as an impatient wanker. People go out of their way to help him and he abuses them. Fuck him, dont respond to his posts.

ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE!!

AncientHumanoid
12-19-2002, 08:03 PM
"I am the fucking hall monitor!" - Manhattan

omygawd! I love it!

Scarlett67
12-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Yeah, that apology sounded pretty sincere.

Helen's Eidolon
12-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Cleverman, please read the post I quoted on your use of the term P.C. Thank you.

Tripler
12-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Sorry if you are offended by them, I will not post them anymore, but to attack me like this is fucking ridiculous. Not everyone is as PC as you fucking saints.

And to think that you are immune from negative replies after being antagonistic is just as equally stupid. You stirred up your own hornet's nest, and you got stung. Suck it up, Princess. . .

Tripler
I have to remind myself: Do not feed the morons.

KneadToKnow
12-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Munch thought it was funny.Who, there, pally. You're gonna garner yourself a knapsack full o' trouble tossing Munch's name around like that. What he said was:This has been playing on the radio. The lyrics themselves are hilarious. I have no idea why they insist on singing it in a tone that would suggest the person is mentally challenged. Completely ruins it.Emphasis mine. Gross overstatement yours.

Jessity
12-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Such a sincere apology. Foo.

And we're attacking you, 'Cleverman'? That's horrible, isn't it? Shame on us for attacking a perfectly normal guy who can actually stand up for himself when people call him out on his stupidity.

but to attack me like this is fucking ridiculous

Please. Maybe you should come back when you finish high school.

Cleverman
12-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Ah, I see LauraNge, I need to learn manners. You'll excuse me if a "ludicrous pile of fetid maggots feeding on the juicy decomposition of Fluffy who was accidently run over on a hot summer day" doesn't feel bad about his manners.

So now my apology wasn't sincere enough? I'll bet you guys are fucking Kings of social situations in the real world. OK, I'll try again, with feeling:

I apologize. I meant no offense in my clearly bigoted offensive and horrible joke. I will never, ever do it again. My heart goes out to all those delicate souls whose world I have crushed with my brutal joke.

Siemsi and Munch, you better get in here and apologize too, or else they'll come after you with Pit threads of your own.

Can you all just please lighten the fuck up? Jesus H.

Super Gnat
12-19-2002, 08:17 PM
You are not being attacked because your link was unfunny. You are being attacked because your link is offensive. By now, many, many people have said that it is offensive to them. You may not think it's offensive, although I find it difficult to understand how you could come to such a conclusion. But enough people do find it offensive that it's no skin off your nose to leave it be and make an apology to all of those you unwittingly offended. Understand?

Jessity
12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Just... FYI:

The link is offensive, tasteless, and tacky. I'm actually more irritated at being told to lighten up! and to get off my cross! and to stop trying to change the world! Than anything else. But it's not as if Cleverman is ever going to catch a clue, so my time is probably wasted.

sailor
12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Cleverman, I predict your stay will be short and I will be happy to see you gone seeing how you insulted a bunch of people who were trying to help you.

>> I do not apologize for my sense of humor.

You are a total idiot. You should apologize for your appalling manners too.

Helen's Eidolon
12-19-2002, 08:21 PM
You do need to learn manners. Part of being mannered is not hurting or offending people with no justification. Can you see how posting your link could both hurt and offend people?

What NoClueBoy posted is not something I would have posted, but it was not out of the blue and it was also not meant in all seriousness (I assume). If you've taken the time to lurk, you'll notice there's a lot of hyperbole that goes on in the pit.

You're just digging a hole for yourself here. Go away, think about it, come back later when you understand what we're trying to say.

lno
12-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Siemsi and Munch, you better get in here and apologize too, or else they'll come after you with Pit threads of your own.No need, they're not assholes.

Look, you came in here and posted a GQ thread and insulted those who came to help you. Maybe you never read the user agreement, and maybe you never lurked. Okay, a mistake, but a simple one.

Then you posted in Cafe Society about Star Trek nemesis and complained when no one responded in 90 minutes.

Now you're being told "hey. Asshole. Lighten up, okay?"

...and you're an asshole about it. I hate to say it, but it looks like you just don't fit in here. I hope I'm wrong.

Dangerosa
12-19-2002, 08:23 PM
And in addition to your link being offensive, the the majority of the remainder of your posts have shown an incredible level of jerkiness for this board. Your GQ thread was a showpiece of inappropriate behavior.

Scarlett67
12-19-2002, 08:24 PM
So now my apology wasn't sincere enough? I'll bet you guys are fucking Kings of social situations in the real world. OK, I'll try again, with feeling:

I apologize. I meant no offense in my clearly bigoted offensive and horrible joke. I will never, ever do it again. My heart goes out to all those delicate souls whose world I have crushed with my brutal joke.

Nice try. Next time, could you add a little more spit and venom? And make it fly a little farther too. Last time, it barely reached my shoes.

(The meltdown continues in the GQ thread, BTW. Insulting the mods is really a bad move.)

Cleverman
12-19-2002, 08:33 PM
I truly did not think it my link was offensive. I thought it was funny. I guess you have to run in the circles I do to understand. But I have re-read everyone's comments, and have taken them to heart. You're right - I came across as a jerk. I have a problem with people getting in my face when I don't think I was wrong. But, I can see that I have been offensive.

But enough people do find it offensive that it's no skin off your nose to leave it be and make an apology to all of those you unwittingly offended. Understand?

I apologize to all those who I unwittingly offended.

I'm actually more irritated at being told to lighten up! and to get off my cross! and to stop trying to change the world! Than anything else.

I apologize for telling you to lighten up. I apologize for telling you to get off your cross. I apologize for telling you to stop trying to change the world.

You should apologize for your appalling manners too.

I apologize for my appalling manners.

And in addition to your link being offensive, the the majority of the remainder of your posts have shown an incredible level of jerkiness for this board. Your GQ thread was a showpiece of inappropriate behavior.

I apologized in those threads, but I will do it again: I apologize for my jerky posts.

The meltdown continues in the GQ thread, BTW. Insulting the mods is really a bad move

I know no one will believe this, but Banhattan was a typo. I apologize if Manhattan thinks I was deliberately being insulting.

I hate to say it, but it looks like you just don't fit in here.

Yes, actually, I think you're right. I apologize for not fitting in. I will leave.

I truly am sorry. Goodbye.

Helen's Eidolon
12-19-2002, 08:35 PM
[b[Cleverman[b], you don't have to leave! You seem to be getting it now :)

We all made some adjustments when starting to hang out here because it isn't like most other internet communities. Lurk a bit, use judgement when you post and I'm sure you'll be fine here.

AncientHumanoid
12-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Yeah, LaurAnge, my imagery is obviously hyperbole, maggots cannot type. :D

cleverman,

Don't leave. Learn from your experience. Learn from fellow Dopers.

All kidding aside, I accept your apology.

I'm sure the others will post likewise, verdad?

NCB

Cisco
12-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Oh. My. God. Forget the MPSIMS thread - his GQ thread is priceless.

This guy is such an asshole that he goes beyond not funny and back to funny. Seriously, I laughed my ass off reading that thread.

Thanks for your help. Banhattan, you can close.

Sorry, I love manhattan, it just wouldn't be GQ without him, but this is fucking hilarious. Over the top blatant assholishness. Reminds me of Steve Polychronopolis (or some of my friends in real life for that matter...)

Cleverman - if you care in the least bit about posting here (which I suspect you don't) then you're gonna have to make a drastic change in your posting style. Otherwise, let it rip, because it won't last long and we can only hold our breath and laugh :D.

Weirddave
12-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Assuming that last post was heartfelt ( and I believe it was ), now you're getting it, Cleverman, good job!

Welcome to the SDMB!

Cisco
12-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Goddamnit, I waited too long to post that. He left :(

Helen's Eidolon
12-19-2002, 08:50 PM
He also apologized and explained, which would have made your post moot anyway.

Morbo
12-19-2002, 08:50 PM
[Col. Jessup]Don't I feel like the fucking asshole.[/Col. Jessup]

Cleverman, I hope you stick around, but I'll understand if you don't. Hopefully during your visit here you have managed to learn something and grow somewhat.

Happy Holidays!

Monty
12-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Is it really unwitting, though, Clever? FYI: Racist jokes aren't funny except to the bigots who create and spread them.

Odieman
12-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Well...I guess Cleverboy is filled with the milk of human kindness at this time of the year...:putz:

Odieman
12-19-2002, 09:10 PM
he's a :wally...damn hate those inadvertant smilies

Morbo
12-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Now come on Monty and Odieman - he has apologized and left. What's the point of continuing to poke him?

jackelope
12-19-2002, 09:24 PM
My impression, Monty, is that he really did not mean to offend anyone. We've all told the wrong joke at the wrong moment (oh, how I shudder to recall some of my own faux pas), and I don't think that was the problem. The problem was how he completely flew off the handle when people told him they found it offensive (or how he reacted so viciously to every other real or perceived slight in his so far brief stay here).

Personally, I found the link offensive as well, but that wasn't the main crime in my eyes: the problem with the link was that it just wasn't funny. I'll laugh like hell at offensive humor (South Park springs to mind), but only if it's actually funny. Come on, a stupid song about working at Burger King? Please. No harm done in posting it, I thought, but an apology to those whom he had unwittingly offended would have served much better than the psychotic fury that came back.

(Yeah, I know, it's over and he's gone; just my two cents. I always show up just after the show's over.)

sugaree
12-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Cleverboy, I hope you're still reading, and I hope you come back (if you do it discreetly, just start answering a few threads here and there, nobody'll give you any shit). It may be beating a dead horse here, but I just wanted to say:

Would you send that link to the parent or sibling of a disabled person?

No?

20,000 registered posters here; God only knows how many lurkers. You just did. Understand the fallout?

Hope to see you around somewhere.

DeadlyAccurate
12-19-2002, 09:42 PM
I think he may just be one of those people that has trouble accepting any criticism, constructive or not, real or perceived. I'm sure if he sticks around, he'll start to come around and be a productive (well, as productive as any of us are) member of the board.

SmileyDeath
12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
[B]I don't understand the problem. Siemsi thought it was funny. I thought it was funny. Munch thought it was funny. But suddenly I'm some evil bigoted asshole because other people didn't find it funny? I didn't realize you could get banned for your sense of humor. Will Siemsi and Munch get banned for laughing? ::shrug::

I apologize for the "offensive" joke. OK?

I do not apologize for my sense of humor. I also think dead baby jokes and racist jokes are funny. Sorry if you are offended by them, I will not post them anymore, but to attack me like this is fucking ridiculous. Not everyone is as PC as you fucking saints.

Gee, I'm un-PC, yet your video annoyed/offended me in it's stupidty. Also, don't use broad sweeping generalizations. Many of the posters inthe originial topic said they weren't very PC .

Also, I cannot believe your sister(who is a special education teacher) would send you that video.

SmileyDeath
12-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by sugaree

Would you send that link to the parent or sibling of a disabled person?

Apparently his special ed. teacher sister didn't mind sending him that.

king of spain
12-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Cleverboy, you're not the first newbie to get off to a bad start and learn from your mistakes. One of the things I really like about this place is that as harsh as we can be sometimes, Dopers are usually great about accepting apologies. People who can admit it when they're wrong are much-admired around here. Stick around! You're looking like SDMB material after all, just keep the temper under control from now on.

king of spain
12-19-2002, 09:53 PM
...Um, yes, I realize his name is actually Cleverman. Wasn't trying to snark, I was just thinking of the thread title. Sorry about that.

Morbo
12-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by SmileyDeath
Apparently his special ed. teacher sister didn't mind sending him that.

Slight nitpick, it was Siemsi (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=2743909#post2743909), not Cleverman, that has the special ed sister:
Originally posted by Siemsi
BTW.....my sister is a special ed teacher and was very PC while in college. She learned to lighten up a lot after going out in the real world, working with mentally challenged children.

She is the one who sent me the joke, and yes.....she is a highly respected teacher in her district!

Carry on.

Jayrot
12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Cleverman don't go! If you turn into a veteran respected poster, everyone will look back at those posts and have a good smile. You know, kinda like all those guys George W. used to snort coke with in college. Now he's the prez! Ahh, they must look back upon those skylarkings and tomfoolery......

But seriously, if you are still reading this post (which undoubtedly you are, because everyone wants to know what other people are saying about them) then I implore you: DONT BE THE KID WHO TAKES HIS TOYS AND GOES HOME AT THE FIRST LITTLE ARGUMENT. I knew a kid like that. No one liked him. He was kind of a social outcast, a black sheep if you will. Eventually he became despised by everyone. And that little boy grew up to be......Trent Lott.

And now you know the rest of the story.

peace

Jessity
12-19-2002, 10:40 PM
I'd agree with the 'don't go, Cleverman' thing. It wasn't my intention for you to be run off.

I wasn't even really attacking because the link was offensive. I was attacking because, well, what he posted in MPSIMS was nasty and nobody needs to attack me for simply stating that something IS offensive.

But yeah, everybody makes mistakes, and this place is great about forgiving. Hope you decide to come back and stay.

manhattan
12-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Cisco
Sorry, I love manhattan, it just wouldn't be GQ without him, but this is fucking hilarious. A fie fy mo anhattan. manhattan. ;)

I'm taking the kid at his word and reading it as a typo. We shall see.

It's not like he spelled it manhatten! Grrr on that. Grrr in a bad, bad way.

Super Gnat
12-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Yeah, don't go Cleverman. See, you apologized, we accepted, everyone's kosher.

lothos2002
12-20-2002, 12:28 AM
I'm fine with him leaving actually. I know nobody asked my opinion, and people deserve a second chance and everything, but we should stop trying to get him back. If he wants to leave, let him.

Honestly, it would have been better never to have seen his "funny video". I don't appreciate at all having been exposed to such offensive crap.

I won't despise him if he comes back, but, if he wants to stay away, so be it.

Zoe
12-20-2002, 12:56 AM
She is the one who sent me the joke, and yes.....she is a highly respected teacher in her district!

I am also a teacher and I can tell you that she wouldn't want her supervisors to know that she found that funny.

Lynn Bodoni
12-20-2002, 01:00 AM
Since this is actually Cleverman's third or fourth name on the Straight Dope, I don't think that I'm gonna GIVE him another chance. And I'm gonna close this thread.

Lynn
For the Straight Dope