PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash's Songs.....

Quasimodem
01-11-2003, 01:59 AM
... make me want to be a better person.

Q

Rico
01-11-2003, 02:11 AM
...I shot a man in Reno,
Just to watch him die...

Eonwe
01-11-2003, 02:14 AM
Hey Quasi, are you knowledgable in his music? Maybe you can help me with something.

I was at a party a few months ago, and a few of us had guitars out, and this one guy sang "Boy Named Sue." He then sang a song, I think called either "The Winner" or "The Loser." It was about some young upstart who goes to challenge the meanest old timer in the bar, so he too can be a winner. The guy tells him, "go right ahead, see me crooked nose? Well, that's what makes me a winner. And notice how I can't hear you too well from having my ears boxed in too many times? Well, you should see the other guy, and that's why I'm a winner," and words to that effect.

Do you know if that's another Cash song, and what the title is?

red_dragon60
01-11-2003, 02:27 AM
If you can find American 4, listen to Hurt. Cash originally covered it from the Nine Inch Nails, and it is a heart-rendingly beautiful sad song.

Quasimodem
01-11-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Eonwe
Hey Quasi, are you knowledgable in his music? Maybe you can help me with something.

I was at a party a few months ago, and a few of us had guitars out, and this one guy sang "Boy Named Sue." He then sang a song, I think called either "The Winner" or "The Loser." It was about some young upstart who goes to challenge the meanest old timer in the bar, so he too can be a winner. The guy tells him, "go right ahead, see me crooked nose? Well, that's what makes me a winner. And notice how I can't hear you too well from having my ears boxed in too many times? Well, you should see the other guy, and that's why I'm a winner," and words to that effect.

Do you know if that's another Cash song, and what the title is?

"A Boy Named Sue", written by Shel Silverstein. That's the one you remember. Also, I'm A Winner, another Shel Silverstein tune. Bobby Bare covered it, too.

Ah, Shel! Rest Ye Well!

Quasi

Junior Spaceman
01-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Hey, we've had 'I Love Johnny Cash' threads before, but I wanna put my vote in again.

I LOVE JOHNNY CASH!

John Carter of Mars
01-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I sent my woman to the grocery store
I said spend ten dollars and don't spend no more
So she spent ten dollars on a ten cent hat
And got some store bought cat food for her mean-eyed cat

From Johnny Cash's: "Mean Eyed Cat"

Roadwalker
01-11-2003, 12:03 PM
I love his warbly voise that makes him sound like a county preacher.
My sister and I were always fond of "The one on the right was on the left.

BurnMeUp
01-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Last night at the Henry Rollins spoken word event, he was telling a story about how he and Joe strummer met up with Jonny Cash after a show and how it was just the coolest moment in his life. Joe Strummer had sent Jonny a song for an album, which he didn't use and didn't remember so he asked Joe to sing it for him... he was saying standing next to Joe strummer singing for Jonny Cash and me the only audience member was just too damn surreal.

I hear Jonny is the nicest most humble guy you'd ever meet.

jack@ss
01-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Sometimes, when I'm working on something like my car or a computer or a furnace, I find myself singing "One Piece at a Time"

vibrotronica
01-11-2003, 04:01 PM
So all you younguns listen un-to me
Lay off that whisky
And let that co-caine be!
-"Cocaine Blues"

magog
01-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Listening to Cash I as I type -

I was born in the soul of misery
Never had me a name
They just gave me the number
When I was young
Thirteen, 'cause John Carter already took Mean Eyed Cat.

Quasimodem
01-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Quasimodem
"A Boy Named Sue", written by Shel Silverstein. That's the one you remember. Also, I'm A Winner, another Shel Silverstein tune. Bobby Bare covered it, too.

Ah, Shel! Rest Ye Well!

Quasi

Correction: Nitpicking my own thread, the name of the tune is The Winner, not what I wrote previously. One of the greatest names I have ever heard came out of that song: Tiger-Man McCool

Q

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-12-2003, 10:20 AM
OK, I know this is a Johnny Cash thread, but since Shel's name has come up, just a few more comments about him:

Silverstein also wrote:

The heart-rending "Sylvia's Mother" for Dr. Hook in the early 70s.
"The Unicorn" recorded by the Oirish Rovers in the 60s.
"Comin' After Jinny" by Tex Ritter (1970ish). I searched for a copy of that for almost 20 years. (Thank you, Mr. Gore, for your wonderful invention.):D

jehovah68
01-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Who else could have been cool enough to play a gospel singin' superstar so convincingly on Columbo?
If you ever see me comin', and if you know who I am,
Don't you breathe it to nobody, cause you know I'm on the lam

Mr. Blue Sky
01-12-2003, 07:08 PM
When Johnny recorded "Ring of Fire" back in 1960, no one told him he couldn't use a Mexican horn section in a c&w song, so he did.

Quasimodem
01-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Mjollnir
OK, I know this is a Johnny Cash thread, but since Shel's name has come up, just a few more comments about him:

Thanks, Mjollnir! And isn't it also true that Shel searched until he found just the right band (lead voice) to play his tunes? Shel had such a distinctive voice, I think that Dennis Locorriere (sp?) may have come the closest to imitating it.

Jesus! I'm hijacking my own thread! :D:D

Quasi

TheLoadedDog
01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by HenrySpencer
Hey, we've had 'I Love Johnny Cash' threads before, but I wanna put my vote in again.

I LOVE JOHNNY CASH!
Seconded.

yola
01-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Love Shel! His book of short poems "WHere the Sidewalk Ends" is much loved in my family. Check it out and read it to yours. Mine learned to read by memorizing their faves.

I just recently found out on Larry King's interview with the Man in Black that Shel wrote " A Boy name Sue". Said he sang the song for the first time at Folsom Prison after Shel sang it for him at his party the night before. Kris Kristofferson sang there, too. What a great party that had to be!

I always find it interesting when somebody you like wrote the song by somebody you love.

yola
01-12-2003, 10:39 PM
I always find it interesting when somebody you like wrote the song >sung< by somebody you love.

caveman
01-13-2003, 01:13 AM
I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Across the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere...

Am I the only one who really likes The Highwaymen, country's answer to the Traveling Wilburys?

Arden Ranger
01-13-2003, 01:56 AM
I love the Highwaymen and I've been a Johnny Cash fan since I was a kid. Grew up listening to him with my Dad.

When the ex and I worked in radio in the Nashville market, we met him when he came by station. He is the nicest man and very cool. I had met other famous types while working there but his visit was the only time I called my Mom from work to tell her "Guess who's standing in the control room?"

caveman
01-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Arden Ranger
I love the Highwaymen and I've been a Johnny Cash fan since I was a kid. Grew up listening to him with my Dad.

When the ex and I worked in radio in the Nashville market, we met him when he came by station. He is the nicest man and very cool. I had met other famous types while working there but his visit was the only time I called my Mom from work to tell her "Guess who's standing in the control room?"

You met Johnny Cash?

[D. A. Cole]If that ain't country, I'll kish yer ash...[/D. A. Cole]

Kilt-wearin' man
01-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Johnny Cash is my favorite superhero...the man radiates cool in a 100 mile radius...

Arden Ranger
01-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by caveman
You met Johnny Cash?

[D. A. Cole]If that ain't country, I'll kish yer ash...[/D. A. Cole]

Yes, I did. :)

Got my picture made with him and when we (and a lot of other radio types) saw him a couple days later after his show I took the picture and he autographed it to my Dad for me.

My Dad still thinks that's about the coolest thing I ever gave him. Only things that beat it out are his grandkids.

Kyla
01-13-2003, 10:52 AM
I heart Johnny Cash.

American IV is a GREAT album. I could listen to "When A Man Comes Around" over...and over...and over...and over... And sometimes I do!

metroshane
01-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Well it's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
Automobile
It's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
Automobile

MovieMogul
01-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Well have you missed my brother man?
He took a little money with a gun in his hand.
Now the kids are hungry and the wife ain't well
And their daddy's locked up in the prison cell.
Oh Orleans Parish Prison won't you free my brother man?
I know it's sad but he ain't bad he's doin' the best he can.
Orleans Parish Prison won't you free my brother man?

The man is truly one-of-a-kind. Amazing.

lost4life
01-13-2003, 03:42 PM
The guy sings NIN and Soundgarden covers, was on Columbo and The Simpsons.....He's cooler than Steve McQueen!

I Walk The Line is the greatest love song ever.

Siemsi
01-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Love love Johnny Cash. He is the coolest.

...."when I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry..."

Folsum Prison Blues.

Kilt-wearin' man
01-13-2003, 05:02 PM
Y'know, when other singers try to perform Ghost Riders (In The Sky), they sound kinda hokey and there's quite a large cheeze factor. When Johnny Cash sings it, you get chills. That's magic.

Gangster Octopus
01-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Saw the man perform klive twice. Both times were so cool, I am not even sure if it was objectively speaking great because both times I was just thinking, "Oh my God, that's Johnny Cash, right there! And he's singing [i]Sunday Morning Coming Down[\i]." The man is awesome.

red_dragon60
01-13-2003, 06:40 PM
When The Man Comes Around is also a cool song. I think I need to get an autograph from him before he kicks it. Sadly, I figure he has about a year left.

japatlgt
01-14-2003, 06:50 AM
Johnny Cash - the Sun Years is a good collection of older material.

Ol'Gaffer
01-14-2003, 01:29 PM
I am often in awe of other people who can recall exactly where they were and what they were doing the first time they heard a particular song. I think it is pretty cool that a song makes such an impression on you that years later you can remember the exact moment.

I have only two of these moments.

The most memorable was in 1976 when I was five years old and I heard the opening lick of Folsom Prison Blues from the Live at San Quentin album. It was on my dad's old reel-to-reel and I have been a huge fan ever since.