PDA

View Full Version : Those really good M&Ms! What happened?

mealworm
04-23-2000, 08:45 PM
I remember back in the 80's, maybe even the early 90's... I would get some bags of M&Ms that were just different. They tasted different and they were extremely yummy. This was maybe one bag in 15 or 20. The rest had that standard M&M taste that is the same today.

Yet, for years upon years I have never tasted a bag like those again. I always figured it had to do with the factory in which they were made, maybe slighty different ingredients. Whatever. I never thought to write down the factory code on the bag.

Anyone else even remotely know what I'm talking about? Anyone remember those special bags? Anyone have a clue why they vanished?

I'm sad, now... As I eat these plain-ole' M&Ms and remember the good days.

Infamus

evilbeth
04-23-2000, 11:23 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about! I have tried to discuss this with other people but everyone just thinks I'm crazy!

Let me ask you something. Did you notice the really good tasting ones came in the big bags rather than the little single (or 2.5) serving size? They were more...chocolatey or something. They even smelled better.

Sadly, I don't know why they were better--I'm just excited that someone else recognizes the phenomenon.

------------------
Those who are dancing look insane to those who cannot hear the music.

One-of-a-kind, custom-designed Wally sig available on request.

Magnum's Mustache
04-19-2002, 10:24 PM
This thread is indeed two years old but I wanted to chime in here again and say that I indeed remember those great tasing bags of M&Ms. I have not had one in years... They all taste the same now. The ratio was maybe 1:50 or slightly higher. But when you got a 'good' bag, it was total heaven.

But alas, everyone thinks I'm nuts as well when I bring it up in public. I'd give $1000 for a big bag of the 'good' ones. Seriously. And yes, they even smelled better.

MM

Barking Spider
04-19-2002, 10:30 PM
M&Ms went to shit when they introduced blue M&Ms.

bibliophage
04-19-2002, 11:01 PM
What were you folks smoking back then?

lorinada
04-19-2002, 11:12 PM
It's probably like every other sweetened product - it's probably the difference between the ones made with sugar and the ones made with high fructose corn syrup. There probably WAS just a few factories still making them with sugar. Just like the Dublin, Texas Dr. Pepper plant (http://www.dublindrpepper.com/history.htm).

Gary T
04-19-2002, 11:20 PM
I can't help but wonder if you occasionally got a really fresh bag.

astro
04-19-2002, 11:25 PM
FYI

http://www.worldfoodscience.org/archive/products01.html

M&M/MARS to release new dulce de leche flavor
7/11/01 - M&M/MARS announces the release of its new M&M'sŪ variety: Dulce de Leche-Caramel Chocolate Candies. The flavor was inspired by the popular Latino ice cream dessert, dulce de leche. The new candy will feature a swirl of rich chocolate and creamy dulce de leche-caramel, blended in a traditional M&M'sŪ Colorful Candy Shell. Initially, the new M&M'sŪ Dulce de Leche-Caramel Chocolate Candies will only be available in five cities (Los Angeles; McAllen-Brownsville, Texas; Miami; San Antonio; and San Diego -U.S.). The launch will be supported by a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign focusing mostly on Spanish-language media in the selected markets.

Magnum's Mustache
04-19-2002, 11:48 PM
This thread is indeed two years old but I wanted to chime in here again and say that I indeed remember those great tasing bags of M&Ms. I have not had one in years... They all taste the same now. The ratio was maybe 1:50 or slightly higher. But when you got a 'good' bag, it was total heaven.

But alas, everyone thinks I'm nuts as well when I bring it up in public. I'd give $1000 for a big bag of the 'good' ones. Seriously. And yes, they even smelled better.

MM

voguevixen
04-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Were they maybe Hersheyettes? I know somehow they taste different (I think better) than M&Ms (not that M&Ms are bad, by any stretch!) Around easter you can get Hershey Eggs which are like the Peanut M&M size but all chocolate and they're absolutely delicious.

aseymayo
04-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Is it possible you picked up a bag of M&M Baking Bits (http://global.mms.com/au/about/products/bakingbits.jsp)? There are two varieties - the usual milk chocolate and semi-sweet. Maybe it was the semi-sweet that did it for you.

flex727
05-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Okay, I saw this thread for the first time when it was resurrected last month and thought the same thing as bibliophage. However, I just encountered one of these strange M&M packages at, of all places, the movie theater. It was one of those tubes of the mini-M&Ms and I couldn't believe how good they tasted. I saved some for the rest of the family and everyone agreed that these were different somehow. They tasted almost like dark chocolate. I guess they had the richness of dark chocolate but with the sweetness of milk chocolate. Just incredible. We've got to get to the bottom of this.

toadspittle
05-16-2002, 10:18 AM
I think there's a freshness factor here. I've bought (large) bags of M&Ms, and the experience of eating them the first day vs. days later is much different.

I postulate that the "good" bags of M&Ms were factory fresh--not ones that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. And, since M&Ms are packaged in paper (only the large bags are plastic), I can imagine there would be a significant amount of air exchange over time.

Try this: wait for the next "holiday" bag of M&Ms to come out (Halloween?), and buy it immediately. See if they don't taste better.

Demise
05-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by astro
Initially, the new M&M'sŪ Dulce de Leche-Caramel Chocolate Candies will only be available in five cities (Los Angeles; McAllen-Brownsville, Texas; Miami; San Antonio; and San Diego -U.S.).

You've been able to get them in Austin for quite a while now, and these things are awesome. They taste like the candy bars that Hersey's makes for Mexico, just delicious.

voguevixen
05-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by toadspittle

Try this: wait for the next "holiday" bag of M&Ms to come out (Halloween?), and buy it immediately. See if they don't taste better.

I actually just saw some "patriotic" M&Ms at the store. (Red, white and blue.) I'm guessing those might qualify as pretty fresh/recent/new. They do have either expiration dates or "packaged on" dates somewhere on the package (or used to at one time). Been a while since I bought them so I can't remember where exactly.

Cat Fight
05-16-2002, 04:40 PM
"M&M/MARS to release new dulce de leche flavor
7/11/01 - M&M/MARS announces the release of its new M&M'sŪ variety: Dulce de Leche-Caramel Chocolate Candies. The flavor was inspired by the popular Latino ice cream dessert, dulce de leche."

Oh. My. God. I feel like I've just died and gone to heaven. If they're half as good as Dulce de Leche Haagen Das...

chivasrustynail
08-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I think you're all thinking about "Hersheyettes", the Hershey company's version of "m&m's". They tasted different because they were genuine hershey chocolate. A variety we all know has a taste all it's own.
Same idea...colorful candy shell...but instead of each one being maked with an m, they were marked with all the letters to spell out "H-E-R-S-H-E-Y-E-T-T-E-S".
I don't know what became of them, I actually googled my way to this message board to find out.

Smapti
08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
M&Ms may or may not taste better fresh, but they definitely don't taste better when they've been buried for 12 years.

johnpost
08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
zombie or no

they melt in your hand too.

Colibri
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Moving from GQ to Cafe Society.

Please note that this thread was started 12 years ago.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

digs
08-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Does anyone remember getting that rare M&M with a burnt peanut in it? I drew a cartoon about that, back in the day (back when this thread was a non-zom).

btw, It's cool to be part of an over-a-decade-old-thread . . . (wow, 2000; I was a Board Noob, just lurking back then...)

california jobcase
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I still bemoan the loss of the tan ones. They tasted best.

Annie-Xmas
08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I remember being 10 years old and taking a long bus ride by myself with a bag of almond M&Ms. They were so good.

tapu
08-06-2012, 09:13 AM
The tan ones were the worst! I always ate them first to get them out of the way.

Do you know why there are no more tan ones? Because they were so unpopular! Everyone hated them! What's the matter with you, anyway?

:p

tapu
08-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Just a stab in the dark, but could some of the M&Ms (the good one!) have been made in another country? I'm just thinking about how much better chocolate is outside the US.

Fiddle Peghead
08-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Does anyone remember getting that rare M&M with a burnt peanut in it?

I've never gotten a burnt peanut that I recall, but it seems I get around one M&M per every two bags or so without any peanut at all. Anyone else?

BigT
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I've never gotten a burnt peanut that I recall, but it seems I get around one M&M per every two bags or so without any peanut at all. Anyone else?

Is it still shaped like the peanut ones? Does it have a hole? I've had that. Just a regular M&M thrown in? Nope.

Fiddle Peghead
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Is it still shaped like the peanut ones? Does it have a hole? I've had that. Just a regular M&M thrown in? Nope.

They look like regular peanut M&Ms. No holes and definitely not a regular one.

Jennmonkye
08-09-2012, 07:06 PM
They look like regular peanut M&Ms. No holes and definitely not a regular one.

People have always thought I was strange because when they ask what my favorite M&M is, plain or peanut, I reply by saying that my favorite is actually the peanut M&M that doesn't have a peanut in it.
You can empty a big bag of peanut M&Ms into a bowl, and the ones without peanuts are always the perfectly round ones. I make sure that when there's a bowl of them at a party to sort of sneakily go thru the bowl with the spoon and pull out all the "good ones" that don't actually have peanuts. I'm weird that way, what can I say?

Drain Bead
08-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Does anyone remember the M&M-like candies in the 80s that tasted like mint chocolate? They were the same shape as regular M&Ms, but only came in brown and green, and had little crowns printed on them. Damn, those were good.

Turek
08-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Does anyone remember the M&M-like candies in the 80s that tasted like mint chocolate? They were the same shape as regular M&Ms, but only came in brown and green, and had little crowns printed on them. Damn, those were good.

There are mint M&Ms and coconut M&Ms out now. Both are delicious.

Fiddle Peghead
08-10-2012, 07:21 AM
You can empty a big bag of peanut M&Ms into a bowl, and the ones without peanuts are always the perfectly round ones.

I eat peanut M&Ms almost exclusively in the darkness of a movie theater, and never looked carefully to discover this. I will do so in the future.

purplehorseshoe
08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I, for one, do not approve of the color change they did about a decade ago. Now the orange is almost neon - waaaaaayyyyy too bright - and the ratio is all off.

Still tasty, though, especially if you've stashed them in the freezer. (My fond memory: We weren't allowed snacks in class in high school but I'd usually sneak some M&Ms into history class and surreptitiously eat them, one by one, slowly, to make the time pass.)

Gretchion
08-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Here's another vote for missing the tan M&M's! Blue just never seemed the right color for an M&M.

rafmann
06-08-2016, 09:41 AM
It's been almost 4 years - I thought it was time to resurrect this thread again :D

I'm eating peanut M&Ms as I write this, which by the way is my favourite confectionery hands down! To all those talking about the burnt peanut, I occasionally get them in every new packet, I'd say about 1 in 10 peanut is burnt. They're delicious and a nice surprise - because they're rare they're a nice treat but not sure they'd be as valuable if the whole packet was full of them