PDA

View Full Version : Is calling McDonalds 'Mickey Ds' a black thing?

Hail Ants
01-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Well, is it? Did it at least start out that way anyway? Because that's kinda how I remember it.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
01-22-2003, 04:12 PM
I'd guess not. I grew up in a small misdwestern town that had very few people of color living there, and we used the nickname. Unless we picked it up from some TV show or song that I'm not remembering.

Brutus
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
I am as whitebread as they come, and I call it Mickey D's. (Among other, less flattering names.)

SylverOne
01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Don't think so..., Heck, I write the check out to MickeyD's occasionally...

andros
01-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Ditto.

Splanky
01-22-2003, 04:28 PM
No. McDonald's= McD's. McD's= Mickey D's. 'Mick D's' just doesn't sound good. I doubt that it originated from blacks or any particular group.

Daniel
01-22-2003, 04:41 PM
I first heard it in a McDonalds commercial. Never heard it before that. Always heard it after that, from real people and TV. I assumed that it was made up for the ad to make them sound cool, but then it got picked up by the public.

Duke
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Daniel, when was that? I know "us kids" were calling it Mickey D's in the mid-80's.

Siege
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
This is strange. Brutus's first sentence was what exactly what I was going to write. It never occured to me to consider it a black thing, but then again, what does an English immigrant know? ;)

CJ

Hail Ants
01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
I asked because I too first remember hearing it in a McDonalds' commercial sometime in the 80s and it was a black girl (actress) who said it.

queen_bee
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
hrmmm. . . . i wouldn't necessarily say it was a black thing just because a black actress said it. that's a bit of a stretch for me.
curious what it is about the phrase "mickey d's" that made you think it was a black thing? My first thought was that it's Irish :p
bee

BF
01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
I thought Mickey D's was a college thing, 'cuz that's when I first heard it. Along with "goin' to the BK Lounge", when going for grub at the Burger King...

TV time
01-22-2003, 06:13 PM
I'm an old, Jewish, white guy living in the rural West and I have been saying it for at least 20 years near as I can remember.

So, I guess the answer to the OP is, "probably not".

stpauler
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BF
I thought Mickey D's was a college thing, 'cuz that's when I first heard it. Along with "goin' to the BK Lounge", when going for grub at the Burger King...
I'd have to second that, my friends in college who were from Canada also called it Don Don's.

SnugTheJoiner
01-22-2003, 07:28 PM
I often call it "Mickey D's," colloquially, and I was white the last time I looked. Don't remember where I first heard the phrase. Maybe a commercial?

Tony Barber's Underwear
01-22-2003, 07:30 PM
This is irrelevant, but I think that it is an Australian (and possibly NZ - they're always hanging on our coattails) thing to call McDonald's "Macca's".

- Bubba.

X~Slayer(ALE)
01-22-2003, 07:31 PM
First time I ever hear anyone call MacDonalds MickeyDs was from a whiteboy from chicago. I dont think its a black thing... It might have been started by blacks but theyre cool like that.

SkeptiJess
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
I'm an old, Jewish, white guy living in the rural West and I have been saying it for at least 20 years near as I can remember. TV Time
My dad is an old, Protestant, white guy from northern California and he's also been saying it for at least 20 years. I say it too, and I got it from him. I just asked him and he reckons he probably got it from somebody at work. He worked at a Masonite factory in Ukiah and, while there were surely a few black folks working there, there certainly weren't so very many that it's likely that some black slang jumped to my white dad.

Jess

MEBuckner
01-22-2003, 11:48 PM
Moderator's Note: Off to IMHO.

mmjewett
01-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Started from a guy nammed Jimmy, from downtown Chicago. Circa 1982. Walked out his front door and shouted to his buddy "Let's go to Mickey D's!". I guess the he was just bored. The name stuck.

Tigers2B1
01-23-2003, 12:06 AM
I got it from my dad. He's an old white guy and has called it Mickey D's for as far back as I can remember.

Happy Lendervedder
01-23-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm an old, Jewish, white guy living in the rural West and I have been saying it for at least 20 years near as I can remember.

My dad is an old, Protestant, white guy from northern California and he's also been saying it for at least 20 years. I say it too, and I got it from him. I just asked him and he reckons he probably got it from somebody at work. He worked at a Masonite factory in Ukiah and, while there were surely a few black folks working there, there certainly weren't so very many that it's likely that some black slang jumped to my white dad.

So it's a Judeo-Christian thing.

tisiphone
01-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Hmmm. Locally, we seem to be split between Rotten Ronnie's, Mickey D's, and McPuke's. Definitely not a black thing, since there might be twenty black people in the whole territory.

Might.

susan
01-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Heard it more than 20 years ago I think, because I was still living in the mid-Atlantic states. Called "Mickey D's" on a series of commercials, all with black actors, though that could have been demographic targeting for my mostly-black area.

meyer
01-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by SylverOne
Don't think so..., Heck, I write the check out to MickeyD's occasionally...

You use a check at McDonald's?

Sublight
01-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Interesting, I was thinking along the same lines as the OP, since the first time I ever heard "Mickey D's" was in a Boston-area TV ad in the early 90's that featured an all-black cast.

Coincidence, apparently.

I can't believe that's butter!
01-23-2003, 02:08 AM
The first time I saw it was in the late 80's/early 90's in a print ad in Ebony magazine. It really stuck out at me because I had never heard anything remotely close to that phrase before. It might have even said "Mackey" D's, I can't remember.

TwistofFate
01-23-2003, 06:02 AM
It's not just american. It is referd to a Mickey D's over in Ireland too sometimes.

Crusoe
01-23-2003, 06:10 AM
Another vote in the straw poll: "Macca's" in the UK (well, among the people I know).

Gorgon Heap
01-23-2003, 07:45 AM
I know my Ma's been calling it that for a good two decades as well.

I personally haven't eaten there in years and refer to it rarely if at all.

StGermain
01-23-2003, 08:03 AM
I'm an old, Catholic, white woman and I'm pretty sure we were calling it Mickey D's when I was in high school in Minneapolis in the 70's.

StG

80sHairMetalMaven
01-23-2003, 10:07 AM
The only time I'd EVER heard it called Mickey D's outside of my neighborhood(a good mix of white,hispanic,black and asian..mostly hispanic)was on the recent commercial with the black couple doing an opera(???)version of what seems to be Romeo and Juliet.

IDBB

DwGrumby
01-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by BF

This is a hijack, but ...

Does "goin' to the BK lounge" come from a song? I'm thinking I heard that in a rap tune by De La Soul?

Broken Doll
01-23-2003, 10:43 AM
I also notice that a lot of Australians tend to call it "Maccas"...whereas I call it "Macca Daccas". But I'm weird like that.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
01-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I just started thinking about the whole "You call it corn, we call it maize" thing and nearly peed myself.

I am not even sure why this is funny.

BF
01-23-2003, 12:06 PM
DwGrumby wrote:
Does "goin' to the BK lounge" come from a song? I'm thinking I heard that in a rap tune by De La Soul?
Wow, I wonder where the two PA white boys (my roommates as a freshmen) heard that from? I did a little searching, and you're right.

Artist: De La Soul
Album: De La Soul is Dead
Song: Johnny's Dead AKA Vincent Mason (Live From the BK Lounge)

From here (http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/delasoul/is_dead/johnny.dls.txt).

Thudlow Boink
01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
I heard people refer to it that way occasionally as far back as the 80's, and I thought it sounded kind of cutesy-stupid. Then when McDonald's started referring to themselves that way in their own commercials, I thought that sounded stupid in a "parents trying to sound cool by using the slang of their teen-age kids" kind of way.

Infectious Lass
01-23-2003, 02:22 PM
My bf says it, and he is English and white. Dunno where he got it from...if it is an americanism that is pretty funny 'cos he pitches a fit every time I say an americanism (because he hates it!) ha! he's a hypocrite!!!

Violin D'Ingrate
01-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Shoshana
Called "Mickey D's" on a series of commercials, all with black actors, though that could have been demographic targeting for my mostly-black area.

This is kind of a hijack, but has anyone ever noticed that when white people are eating at McDonald's in the commercials, they are usually with their families, but when black people eat at McDonald's in the commercials, they are with people their own age, presumably their friends. I don't know why this has always bugged me.

MovieMogul
01-23-2003, 05:32 PM
I call it that and I'm not black (although my mother-in-law thinks I am sometimes).

Kat
01-23-2003, 06:12 PM
My dad calls it Mickey D's, when he doesn't call it McDugal's (sp?), and has as far back as I can remember.

garius
01-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Another Brit chiming in - it's either "Macca's" or "Macky D's" here.

I'm wondering whether its a dialectal thing to do with how different nations pronouce the word "McDonald"

I went to a university that had a large American Exchange Student programme and they all pronounced McDonalds "MicDonalds" where as i've only really ever heard Brits and Aussies pronounce it "MacDonalds"

sidle
01-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Is it the Mickey-D's?
Or the D-Mickey's?

All kidding aside, I thought all types of people called it that.

Truthfully, though, as long as you're not some total idiot who wants money because McDonald's made you and your kids fatties, I don't give a flip WHAT you call it.

greck
01-24-2003, 01:22 PM
calling it Mickey-D's is a black thing like using "bad" to mean "good" is a black thing
once was, but was mainstreamed long ago.

plus, I think "mickey-d's" was killed off by "the golden arches" in the 80's nobody who's anybody trendy really calls it that anymore.

although maybe if you're going for "retro vernacular"........

JohnBckWLD
01-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Violin D'Ingrate
This is kind of a hijack, but has anyone ever noticed that when white people are eating at McDonald's in the commercials, they are usually with their families, but when black people eat at McDonald's in the commercials, they are with people their own age, presumably their friends. I don't know why this has always bugged me. I make a note to look out for that.

My Mc'D's pet peeve:

That "new" Big Mac commercial (2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun) where all these people are trying to talk and gesture in an urban style.

Nothing looks quite as idiotic as a white or asain, with their arms crossed, pointer finger & pinky out, doing this moronic head and neck gesture. With the exception of Vanilla Ice trying to rap

samclem
01-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Random House Dictionary of Historic American Slang indicates that the term "Mickey D's" was in a newspaper article as long ago as 1977. The origin of the term is given as "student."

McDonald's trademarked the term themselves in 1981, well after it was used by youngsters. They also started using the term in their ads in the 1980's, and many of the ads in the 1980's were coming at a time when African-Americans were being used more frequently in ads. That may account for the perception.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.