PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise: The Breach (spoilers after US airing)

Achernar
04-22-2003, 04:38 PM
I would like to request that any spoilers before 9:00 PM EDT on Wednesday be put in a box, if that's alright. After that, standing spoiler warning! :)

Here's the summary of this episode from StarTrek.com:Enterprise is asked to evacuate a group of Denobulan geologists from a world that has been taken over by a militant faction, and since they are located deep underground, the effort requires some treacherous spelunking by the rescue team. Meanwhile Phlox faces a dilemma when another evacuee, an Antaran afflicted with a fatal dose of radiation, refuses to be treated by a Denobulan because of very old bad blood between the two races.Although it doesn't make it totally clear, it seems from the preview clip that Phlox's dilemma is that the patient is refusing treatment necessary to save his life, because of some racial grudge. Is it ethical to treat a patient who doesn't want to be treated? "Tuvix" was one of my favorite Voyager episodes, because of the strange medical dilemma it approached. I hope this one is good too! :)

Wearia
04-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Hey! You haven't seen it! This is cheating!

bernse
04-22-2003, 05:18 PM
was one of my favorite Voyager episodes

[Nelson Muntz pointing]
HAH-HAH
[/Nelson Muntz]

Tars Tarkas
04-22-2003, 05:59 PM
My favorite part was when Archer fell off the cliffside and T'Pol used her rocket powered boots to catch him inches from teh ground! It was so Original, i never saw anything like it!

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 06:12 PM
A militant fraction? :confused:

Looks like a double plot episode.

Phlox is an alright character. That Sick Bay episode was cool. Will be interesting to see if StarFleet Drs have the Hippocratic Oath or not. And how exactly would it apply in interspecies relations?

Hi, Jack!

Rue DeDay
04-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Oh! T'Pol uses her rocket powered boots! Never mind.

Achernar
04-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Wearia
Hey! You haven't seen it! This is cheating!Worse than that, I actually tried to discuss the episode. ;)

It does look like a double-plot episode, but then, the majority of them do. One of my favorite Star Trek episodes, for the plot structure, not the acting or anything else, was a quadruple-plot episode. :)

Anyway, we don't need to have two threads on this episode. I thought it would be nice to have spoilers in a box or at least a warning, but I understand if that's too much trouble; these threads really do tend to be free-form. :) So, if we'd rather convene at the other thread, I'll request this one be locked.

vivalostwages
04-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Achernar
SNIP
One of my favorite Star Trek episodes, for the plot structure, not the acting or anything else, was a quadruple-plot episode. :)
SNIP
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A four-way? ;) When was this?

There don't seem to be any spoiler warnings in the other thread. Or am I just confused?
(Do I want an answer to that?)

carnivorousplant
04-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Achernar, lets use your thread for serious discussion, and play in mine, ok?
I have Opera and don't use spoiler boxes, BTW 'cause I have to cut and paste the contents to read them.

Ephemera
04-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Bah.. this episode is going to suck. It's a blatant ripoff of the Neelix episode with that dude that created the Technobabble Cascade Thingamabob.

Now that I think about it, didn't Worf once refuse to give blood to a Romulan in a TNG episode? Ripoff of a ripoff!

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 10:36 PM
What other thread?!?

I was actually using this one!

:dubious:

Achernar
04-22-2003, 11:03 PM
The four-way was TNG's "Disaster". The reason I liked it is because it was a four-way (and actually, looking at the synopsis, I remember now it was a five-way), even if the individual plots were seen as annoying. If there had been more four-ways, I probably would have liked them better. :)

Ah, sorry carnivorousplant, I forgot about spoilers not working in Opera. I think I heard that they work okay in the lastest version. Not telling you to upgrade; just mentioning it.

Ephemera
04-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Keiko's birth, Troi commanding, Picard dealing with kids, what, and what?

Ephemera
04-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Er, Keiko birthing Molly, I should say.

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Ro in engineering...

Ephemera
04-22-2003, 11:15 PM
That doesn't ring a bell at all.

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Also Riker and Data (http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/st-tng/episodes/205.html)

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Ro is on the bridge with Troi. Riker and Data are working their way towards Engineering.

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Beaverly Crusher and Geordi in a shuttle bay...

Ephemera
04-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Ah. I've never actually seen the episode.

Alot of my TNG knowledge comes from the Star Trek: TNG Companion.

AncientHumanoid
04-22-2003, 11:25 PM
If I could learn how to complete a thought before clicking on "Submit"...

Back to the episode!

Haven't seen it yet.

Achernar
04-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Okay, that's all of them, but just to get them in one place, it's:

1. Troi, Miles, and Ro on the bridge.
2. Picard and the kids in the turbolift.
3. Worf helping Keiko birth Molly.
4. Riker and Data going to Engineering.
5. Crusher and Geordi in the cargo bay.

Hmmm, actually, although #5 is kind of throw-away, some of those plotlines were pretty good. Work and Keiko were pretty funny, and Picard dealing with the kids was endearing.

Now back to the episode! :)

Tars Tarkas
04-23-2003, 12:41 AM
link (http://home.netcom.com/~mblackwl/mst.htm) to disturbing fanfic on that episode.

athelas
04-23-2003, 06:54 AM
It was not bad...a few plot holes though.

[spoiler]1. Hudak's conditions hardly seemed fatal...but it could just be because they didn't show...
2. Why would Phlox not want to treat him when he knows that Archer would if he refused (maybe because he thinks Archer would bungle it)
3. How on earth does Archer know how to do a sex change operation!?

Kn*ckers
04-23-2003, 08:27 AM
[a big-ass hijack, because I'm feeling disobedient. Sorry.]
My only question is, who the hell decided celery-flavored jellybeans were a good idea? I am eating, as we speak, JellyBelly brand jellybeans, and the one I just ate tasted exactly like celery. This cannot have been an accident. Someone purposely set out to invent the Celery Bean. That person should be beaten, because it was REALLY freaking gross. And I LIKE celery. But celery should be salty and crunchy, not soft and sweet.
[all that stuff I said before, with a slash in front]

[continuation of a previous hijack]
I really liked that four-way (five-way?) TNG episode, as I recall[/hijack]

And NOW, as to this week's ENT, I haven't seen it, but I'm hopeful, because I like Phlox. He's funny and weird and stuff.

Tars Tarkas
04-23-2003, 12:31 PM
is this the thread we should be serious in? I'll say that the injector core used in the warp engine of the NX-01 is three meters too small and would lead to unstable warp matrixes, causing the ship to explode at speeds above warp 4. This problem is probably due to budget cuts in the set design. also Real Denublians have extra heads growing out of their butts, which i see has been eliminated in favor of not spending money on GCI buttheads or using an actual Denublian actor (which would require breaking him out of his Area 51 cell)

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Still watching it, but:

Phlox: "Denobulan medical ethics place the will of the patient as paramount."

Archer: "What about not doing any harm?!"

Phlox: "Hippocrates wasn't a Denobulan."

Answers that question.

----------------------

The spelunking scenes are well done, so far...

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Love that music! Coming through very nicely on my surround sound.

Macolm is such a weenee. (I just saw that sliding scene with his arms and legs flailing about instead of trying to stop somehow.) :rolleyes:

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 07:56 PM
In the cave rescue, Travis drops the rock samples down the bottomless (but not quite bottomless) pit

Denobulan scientist weenie: "My skeeliotites!"

Trip: "Fuck your skeeliotites."

DSW: "Fortunately, I have other samples..."

-------------------------

Even the predjudice thingy was handled well.

Man, I really like that Phlox character.

Good episode.

Next week looks like a PANDARIFFIC ep!

Achernar
04-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks for putting stuff in the spoiler boxes, but as the episode goes along would have been fine with me. Standing spoiler warning now!

I liked it, but as someone said a couple of weeks ago, the characters never have to compromise ethically. I guess I agree it would be better if they did, but as it is, it doesn't ruin things for me.

Travis in charge. Very cool, even if he did foolishly break his leg. What a klutz. ;)

Ephemera
04-23-2003, 10:01 PM
It figures.. I vehemently state that this episode is going to suck and what happens? Everybody seems to love it*. Not only that, but they praise the bane of my Enterprise watching experience, Neelix Mark II. Bah!

*Maybe I should do this every week.

tracer
04-23-2003, 11:11 PM
And best of all, this episode had a
TRIBBLE! Wooooooo!

Ephemera
04-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Weren't they unheard of in "The Trouble with Tribbles? 'Cause if they and their breeding patterns were known before then, why was Uhura bringing one on board the Enterprise? Especially when they have a huge compliment of grain on board?

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Do you think that every little thing that the weird doctor does gets written up in StarFleet logs?

But, still... the idea of perfect continuity over almost 40 years seems to have gone right out the window anyways.

Hey, in TOS, they didn't even remember the guy who played O'Riley was being used as someone else in The Conscience Of The King until a stage hand brought it up.

So, lack of continuity has a long heritage in Trek.

Ephemera
04-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Yeah.. starting with the second episode of TOS.

*rimshot*

Thank you, thank you.. I'm here for another two hours.

Tars Tarkas
04-23-2003, 11:48 PM
With all the animals the doc has, do you think Kirk memorized all their names? He was too busy scoring with green chicks to remember the name of every fuzzball out there

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 11:50 PM
I'd rather kiss a Wookie

That can be arranged!

Laugh it up, FuzzBall

Ephemera
04-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Don't you think a round little fuzzball that propogates about a thousand times faster than rabbits would be noted by xenozoologists and the population at large?

AncientHumanoid
04-23-2003, 11:52 PM
IT GOT EATEN!

Ephemera
04-23-2003, 11:54 PM
IT WAS WELL ENOUGH KNOWN THAT PHLOX KNEW IT WOULDN'T KILL HIS DENOBULON WHATCHAMAHICKET!

Tars Tarkas
04-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Yes, but known by a Denobulan. Have you seen Denobulans outside of that show? Archer kills them all, so Kirk can never meet them or their magic fuzzballs!

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Yeah, on Voyager. His name was Neelix!

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Yeah, it was in that DS-9 episode: Bunch of Stupid Bajor Crap when they all went back to San Fransisco and became the 1970s super band Journey.

tracer
04-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much the ridges on Dr. Phlox's face resemble Deep Space 9?

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Howabout when Kirk talked a god and a supercomputer into fighting each other while he was busy bedding some alien chick that probably didn't even have an appropiate orifice?

Oh, right.. that was every episode!

Tars Tarkas
04-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Bunch of Stupid Bajor Crap --- I call those episodes BBE's, for Boring Bajor Episodes.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Some of them were interesting but yeah, for the most part, they sucked.

Tars Tarkas
04-24-2003, 12:15 AM
The prophets want me to be annoying, Emissary. I must be annoying, Emissary. Annoying annoying annoying. I also lobotamize people named Jack, Emissary. The Prophets told me to....

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 12:23 AM
Good NCB impression*, Tars.

*I kid, I kid. I have nothing but manly heterosexual love for the CluelessBoy even though he has horrid taste in all things Trek

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 01:23 AM
And now, welcome to Viva's amazing Multi-Mega Post:

--I liked that they finally got back to the rift between Phlox and son Mettis that the doc mentioned way back in "A Night In Sickbay"--speaking of which, would you believe it's up for a Hugo???

Honestly. (http://www.startrek.com/news/news.asp?ID=128517)

--Dammit, Jim, why don't these so-called writers show up in my class? I'd teach 'em a thing or three about proper grammar! Phlox said, "I used to lay in my bed" (or something similar). Once again, but probably not for the last time, it's LIE. Lie!!!!!!!!! Lie in my bed! Lie like a rug! ARRRGGHHHH!

--Travis was left holding the bag, literally. (Do you suppose there were a few waste bags o' poo involved too?) He's running a close second to Trip in terms of being banged up and otherwise abused, giving the Triphammered site a little competition.

--So the Denobulon digger had other samples, eh? Samples of POO?? (Sorry, but I have been "inspired" by Kn*ckers' Pit rant.)

--Bakula really does do a bit better when they give him stuff to be angry about. He didn't furrow excessively in this one either. Maybe someone took him aside and had a little chat about it: "Scott, why don't you put on this skin-tightening facial cream? When it dries and hardens, you won't furrow nearly so much."

--Hey, Kn*ckers, have you tried Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans yet? They are truly disgusting. Highly recommended. The dirt-flavored ones are especially gross.

--I have seen the face of Aesiron. I have seen the face of NoClueBoy. I have seen the face of...me. I'm gonna put us all together in a menage/collage of Trek Dopers someday and throw it onto my website.

Oh, was this the serious thread?

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm starting to think we can't be serious.

Anyway, AOL didn't tell me that someone had responded to this thread or I would have been in here like three seconds after you to post something inane like I always do. I'm being repressed!!

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 01:45 AM
I was beginning to wonder where you were. And I'll have to leave soon to get up early tomorrow. Oh, wait, it's nearly tomorrow. I'll have to get up early today. Soon. In a few minutes.

AOL sucked you into the breach! It's my ISP and it blows.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 01:48 AM
I've been thinking about getting cable lately. I already pay $25 for AOL and like $30 for a secondary phone line so I don't have to worry about getting booted for trivial things like my sister calling to say my nephew died, etc. That's $55 and cable costs about that much.. really need to look into it. Fecking dial-up.

By the way, it did it to me again. I just now got the email notification and am finishing up my post. Feh!

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Aesiron
I'm starting to think we can't be serious.

Anyway, AOL didn't tell me that someone had responded to this thread or I would have been in here like three seconds after you to post something inane like I always do. I'm being repressed!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of repression....If the Madcap Trio were spelunking for at least three days, why didn't their beards grow? Did they take along Facial Hair Repression Gel? They sure as hell got stubbly in "Shuttlepod One."

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 01:55 AM
It's only Thursday here, damn it. Not Saturday. :mad:

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Okay, then I'll be sure not to tell you all about

all the sweaty male-bonding that went on during commercials.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Why would I be interested in that?

Ae - siiiir - on. Ae - siiiiiir - on. Not Kn*ckers. Ae - siiiiiir -on.

Tars Tarkas
04-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey, in the preview for next week, they missed a perfect opportunity to throw in an unzipping sound when explaining the aliens need three to get it on!

athelas
04-24-2003, 07:05 AM
At least they're billing it as humor. Still doesn't mean it can't be A night in sickbay v.2.0...but given the improvement after the hiatus, i'm willing to give it some more ground. About two inches.

carnivorousplant
04-24-2003, 07:51 AM
From my thread:
What the heck is the light shining on the ventral side of Enterprise in the fly by at the start of the episode? It isn't a sun because they are traveling at warp.

Why when the ship undocks with Enterprsie does it roll to be in the same plane as NX 01? They've traveled the whole way sideways in relation to Enterprise.

Two used plots, but well handled. We know that the protagonists won't die in the cave, but it was still riveting. The slide down the rock verged on the comic, though.

My favorite line is from Tripp: "If you don't start movin' in five seconds, I'm gonna take my phase pistol and shoot you in the ass!"

And new...was the moutain climbing gear LL Bean stuff, or were there any inovations?

tracer
04-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by vivalostwages
Phlox said, "I used to lay in my bed" (or something similar). Once again, but probably not for the last time, it's LIE. Lie!!!!!!!!! Lie in my bed! Lie like a rug! ARRRGGHHHH!
You are assuming that Dr. Phlox meant "lay" in its G-rated sense....

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Carn...

The climbing gear all looked familiar, but futuristic. The Amazingly Expandable Crampons™ looked really cool.

As per the lighting, nice to see you're paying attention to your other thread, as I answered it there. :)

NX01 is not a plane. It's a spaceship.

Tripp says, "phaser cutting phaser" in this episode. But only on the closed captioning.

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 05:04 PM
REI, btw. Not LL Bean

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Pitons (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=991&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1), not crampons. Sorry. (You wear crampons on your boots. Pitons you hammer ((or place)) into rocks.)

tracer
04-24-2003, 08:03 PM
I thought you wore crampons in your nether regions.

tracer
04-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Weren't they unheard of in "The Trouble with Tribbles? 'Cause if they and their breeding patterns were known before then, why was Uhura bringing one on board the Enterprise? Especially when they have a huge compliment of grain on board?
When I read this, I thought I remembered some dialog from "The Trouble With Tribbles" which established that tribbles had been known and documented by the time of ST:TOS.

So, I immediately ran downstairs to my video tape collection to see if I was remembering correctly or not -- and, wouldn't'cha know it, of the very few episodes of ST:TOS that were missing from my collection, one of them just had to be "The Trouble With Tribbles"! So I jumped into my car, drove 20+ miles to the only store I knew of with a big selection of DVDs for purchase, and bought me a brand new copy of the DVD of "The Trouble With Tribbles" just so that I could check on this little factoid!

And ... Aesiron was right. There was no mention in the episode of any previous study of tribbles that the characters had to draw upon. In fact, they had to study them just to find out what Dr. Phlox already knew in this week's episode of Enterprise!

Of course, now, as a consolation, at least I can watch "The Trouble With Tribbles" in brilliant crisp DVD resolution any time I want to.

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by tracer
I thought you wore crampons in your nether regions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fortunately, the Crampons only attack once a month.

btw, your spoiler boxes are awesome.

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Tracer,

That was beautiful.

[sniff]

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 10:36 PM
So it's now:

Wearia: 2 Aesiron: 2 NoClueBoy: 0 Tracer: 0

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Why would I be interested in that?

Ae - siiiir - on. Ae - siiiiiir - on. Not Kn*ckers. Ae - siiiiiir -on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever you say, A*****n.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 11:13 PM
As a sh*w of s*lidarity, we sh*uld all have *ur user names changed to h*n*r PantslessGirl.

carniv*r*usplant, vival*stwages, N*ClueB*y, Aesir*n and s* on. Tars just isn't c**l en*ugh f*r an asterix.

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Bars Barc*s

I would be No * Boy

Then, you could substitute all sorts of knowledge, educational refs, body parts, housing, etc...

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 11:31 PM
N*! If we d* it that way, I'm n* l*nger c**l en*ugh either! vivalost*, carnivous*, No*Boy, and Aes*?! *iron?! Aesir*?!?!

Damn y*u! :mad:

AncientHumanoid
04-24-2003, 11:37 PM
You started it.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Eh. I'm on a caffeine rush right now and am just posting crap 'cause it amuses me.

Hibbity hoo blah, I ain't heard a thing you said.

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Eh. I'm on a caffeine rush right now and am just posting crap 'cause it amuses me.

SNIP
-------------------------------------------------
Funny--I didn't notice anything different from any other night.

Ephemera
04-24-2003, 11:50 PM
On the other nights, I try to amuse you while I amuse myself whereas I'm just posting miscellaneous junk right now.

Basically, I'm acting like NCB. :p

tracer
04-24-2003, 11:52 PM
So it's now:

Wearia: 2 Aesiron: 2 NoClueBoy: 0 Tracer: 0
Tracer zero?! What, I don't get any bonus points for creative use of spoiler boxes?

tracer
04-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Tars just isn't c**l en*ugh f*r an asterix. [/B]
As Nathan Hale once said, "I regret that I have but one asterisk for my country."

vivalostwages
04-24-2003, 11:56 PM
What we'd sound like, categorically, if you could hear us out loud:

NCB: Non sequitur, non sequitur, flirt, hijack, hijack, non sequitur.

Aesiron: Complain about having show ruined before seeing it, comment, flirt, Panderize, flirt, miscellaneous.

Kn*ckers: Hilarious comments, tangential or elliptical comment about ep.; complaint about not enough Undie-views.

viva: Spoilers with and without boxes, tease, torment, pick pick pick, hijack, flirt, post links, minimal discussion of ep.

Cervaise: analyze, analyze, determine improvements, bemoan, analyze, analyze thoroughly and incisively.

carnivorousplant: Comment, question, problem, comment, mrs. plant's comment, comment.

Tars Tarkas: Hoshi. Hoshi. Hoshi. Hoshi. Hoshi. Hoshi. What, no Hoshi? Want Hoshi! Topless Hoshi! More Hoshi!

tracer :

wearia :

Achernar :

Additional:

Ephemera
04-25-2003, 12:05 AM
tracer: Comment, comment, respond to highjack, comment, phaser cutting phasers, run to buy TOS episode to dis/prove random comment, highjack.

Wearia: Fake spoilers, something 'bout Canada, more spoilers about Hoshi and T'Pol decon scene, highjack, highjack, Tars teasing.

Oh, and tracer can have two points for his awesome use of spoilers. So now it's a three way tie for first with NCB in the end. Like always. :D

Speaking of which, you forgot to mention mine and NCB's constant sniping at each other, viva. For shame.

Tars Tarkas
04-25-2003, 02:21 AM

**** *** *** ** ****** **** ***** ***** ** * ***** **** ***** **** ******* *** ****** * ****** *** ***** *** *** * *** ***** ******** ** **** ***** *** **** ******* ******* ****** ****** ***** with a cherry on top!

Kn*ckers
04-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Guys, I'm sorry. I'm really too tired to read all the previous posts right now, but I wanted to toss in my comments about this ep. So what I'm going to do is say a lot of crap everybody else probably all said, and then read the other posts, and THEN feel stupid.

My goal is to confuse and obfuscate. Here goes...

(spoilers a-plenty)

I liked it. I like Phlox. He's funny and interesting, and though there is something Neelix-esque about his role (funny looking alien/comic relief), I like him 9,000 times better than I ever liked Neelix on my most forgiving day. Phlox, you see, has a personality, a sense of humor, and some small measure of common sense. He also has some really rocking critters. Loved that Tribble. And I can overlook the lack of continuity, 'cause it's not like he had a Starfleet exobiologist watching over his shoulder taking notes. For all we know, Hoshi was the only pre-TOS Starfleeter to see a Tribble, and she took its memory of to her grave.

I liked the rock-climbing, and here's why (besides the slashy three-sweaty-men-in-spandex thing):
It was funny. It made me laugh. Laugh, and laugh and laugh. The falling scene was just absolutely goofy and confusing. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on - why or how they were falling - it was just incredibly funny to see them all sliding down the shoot thing and screaming and flapping their arms in mortal terror.
Clearly, I am evil.

This episode was not without its downside, though: Too preachy. Granted, it was a million times less preachy than the HIV/AIDS one (can't remember the title), but there was a pretentious, holier-than-thou attitude to this episode that I found grating. Grating on my nerves, I mean, not, like, cheese-grating, or something...
Yeah, prejudice is bad. No shit, Watson.

And the whole two people helping their species overcome centuries of mutual hatred was a little farfetched. I guess one could look as it as the two cultures being pretty much ready to get over it, anyhow, but they made it look as though Phlox and Whatshisface were the catalysts in forging a new era of tolerance. Which I cannot believe would actually HAPPEN. But then, I am a cynic and a pessimist. So I could be wrong. I damn well hope so.

So that's me for now. Overall, good... B+, Maybe even A-. Much, much than the start of this season. Looking forward to my dose of panda next week. :)

And hey, while I'm here - can I have a hug? Please? I've had a really lousy week - work has just been chewing me up and spitting me out, and I'm all covered with metaphorical saliva... Ew, that was gross.

I also want pie, if there is any around.

Love, Kn*ckers

Kn*ckers
04-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Ah. Now that I HAVE read the previous posts, I have to ass -- no, I meant ADD, but I like the typo too much to delete -- a few things:

Very honored by the recognition of asterisks, and the important contribution they have made to our society. May I suggest wider sweeping gestures to honor this very important element of punctuation? Such as renaming famous places/persons/etc. as follows:

Fra*k S*n*tr*
Fr*nce
W*lMart
Cl*vel*nd, **h*
Je*n Creti*n
J*piter
The M*ss*ss*pp* River

Thank you for your interest in asterisks. Donations to this very worthy cause can be made out to Kn*ckers, personal check or cash only, please.

Cervaise
04-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Wow, where the hell did this thread come from? How did I not see it? Don't answer that, apparently I have a blood clot in my forebrain.

For the sake of completeness (since this seems to be the "serious" thread), here's what I said in the other one. If you've already read that thread, you've seen this; it's unchanged. I'm just being anal-retentive and stupid. Isn't it charming? ;)Originally posted by me, apparently in the wrong goddam thread because I'm a frickin' moron
As before, not horrifyingly eye-gougingly awful, but not very damn exciting, either. Totally predictable: Here's where they explain the centuries of hatred. Here's the scene where they try to get past it and fail. Here's the scene where Phlox opens up to a crewmember and comes to a realization. Here's the scene where he goes back to his patient and offers a soul-searing confession. Here's the scene where said patient demonstrates he's willing to abandon centuries of indoctrination after a few kind words. And we wrap up with the scene where it's implied that, as a result of the courageous acts displayed in the central pas de deux, maybe things are going to change.

Yawn.

If the show had any balls, the story would have gone like this:

Set up the ancient hatred the same way, but make the Denobulans some seriously violent mothergrabbers. "Yes, Captain, it's true — we sterilized one of their planets. Billions died. They surrendered, of course, and we haven't had open hostilities since then. My people were horrified at what we'd done, but only among ourselves: We never apologized or made amends. Publicly, we were merely the victors. No wonder they still hate us."

Develop the middle section the same way. Phlox doesn't like his people's history, tried to raise his children differently, and so on. He insists to the Antaran that the procedure will work ("you have eight chances in ten for a full recovery"), etc., etc., like in the existing show.

As in the show, the Antaran is affected by Phlox's sincerity. But rather than just accepting outright, he tells Phlox: "Ask me my name." (Didja notice that the alien dude was never named? He was always "the Antaran." The show's website (http://www.startrek.com/library/ent_episodes/episodes_ent_detail_128486.asp) says his name was "Hudak," but I'll be damned if they ever said it out loud. Sort of defeats the point of the show if they never bother to individualize the guy they're trying to individualize, huh? Anyway...) So Phlox does, and the guy agrees.

And then he dies.

That's right, that's what I said. The guy agrees to the procedure, Phlox goes ahead, but because of the separation there are complexities to Antaran physiology that Phlox can't cope with, and the "eight chances in ten" don't work out. The patient dies on the table, never having regained consciousness.

Phlox, of course, is devastated. He cannot be comforted by Archer's efforts: "At least you tried. You did your best. That counts for something." Even T'Boobs cannot touch him with logic: "He was going to die anyway."

And then Phlox writes the letter to his wayward son, except now he has some real emotional context for it.

But no, we had to have the wishy-washy, feel-good ending, where everybody goes away all misty-eyed, but not having to pay any serious consequences for their decisions. This can be said for the B plot, also, where lives are supposedly risked but the outcome is never in doubt.

Berman & Braga keep saying they want to go back to classic-era Trek, where Kirk would happily shoot first if he thought it was warranted. But they've misunderstood the very nature of that show. Kirk wasn't a loose cannon: He was tough. The shows were tough. If Berman & Braga were doing "City on the Edge of Forever" today, they'd work it so the Joan Collins character would survive. And that just ain't right.

I keep saying this: Enterprise needs to go after its characters' emotional health and their comfortable assumptions. Nobody's learning anything. Nobody's changing. Nobody's being challenged, and nobody's paying for bad decisions. The show needs to grow some goddamn balls or it's just going to be the same boring morality play week after week. They had a good hint of this at the beginning, when Phlox casually and unexpectedly fed the cute-n-fuzzy tribble to the reptile. Now they need to do that with the whole show instead of just a throwaway moment.Pardon me, now, while I slink away in shame.

tracer
04-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Kn*ckers
Phlox, you see, has a personality, a sense of humor, and some small measure of common sense.
Not to mention ridges on his face that look like the Deep Space Nine space station.

Ephemera
04-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I don't have any pie but any girl wanting a hug can get one while I'm around. (((((Kn*ckers)))))*

*If you knew how much I hate doing internet hugs, you'd be even more honored by my doing that.

AncientHumanoid
04-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Poor Kn*ckers.

Here's a hug and an ass grope while I nibble on the back of your neck.

hope you aren't wearing any pants

Ephemera
04-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Uh.. that was cplant, not Kn*ckers. And no, he wasn't wearing any pants.

AncientHumanoid
04-25-2003, 04:01 PM
;j

tracer
04-25-2003, 06:33 PM
(He wasn't wearing any Orthodox Jewish pants?)

vivalostwages
04-25-2003, 09:13 PM
(((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs for Kn*ckers)))))))))))))))))))))))))

And jelly beans, and Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, and lots of pie, and a big towel to clean off the spit, and just take some comfort in the fact that at least it was spit and not the Gross And Terrible Thing you mentioned in the Pit.

:)

--viva

Ephemera
04-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Mmm.. girl-girl Trek Dope panda.

Tars Tarkas
04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
(He wasn't wearing any Orthodox Jewish pants?)

Are those the pants specially built for the circumcised man?

we don't wear pants on Mars.

vivalostwages
04-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Mmm.. girl-girl Trek Dope panda.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I just can't post anything when Aes is around!
Good thing I didn't mention poolside candles.

Ephemera
04-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Can pandas swim?

vivalostwages
04-26-2003, 01:01 PM
SNIP

Speaking of which, you forgot to mention mine and NCB's constant sniping at each other, viva. For shame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It should be "NCB's and my constant sniping at each other.
;)

There's a reason for the constant sniping: sexual tension. The two of you should really spend A Night In Sickbay to resolve all the tension and angst.

:D

tracer
04-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas
we don't wear pants on Mars.
Then how in heck do you keep yourself pressurized from the waist down? You've only got about 4 Torr of ambient atmospheric pressure there, y'know.

Skillet38
04-26-2003, 08:19 PM
I nominate both of the current Enterprise threads as the biggest waste of bandwith that I can think of on these boards.

excuse me, I have to go into detox with T'pol and Hoshi, oops, I can't reach that spot on my lower back. Honeys, could you get that for me.

and while you're down there....

AncientHumanoid
04-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Skillet38
I nominate both of the current Enterprise threads as the biggest waste of bandwith that I can think of on these boards.

He noticed!

As for sexual tension between me and Aes... it's been resolved. :o (that is the oral sex smiley, right? Aes, try Jaegermeister. It'll get the taste out.)

:D

Ephemera
04-26-2003, 11:27 PM
http://www.red-anubis.com/quizes/entquiz.html

I'm Hoshi. Yay!

Get away from me, Tars.

tracer
04-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Darn it, it says I'm Porthos.

tracer
04-26-2003, 11:37 PM
(Maybe if I didn't pee on the hull plating quite so much....)

Ephemera
04-26-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out the combinations for each character. Archer, T'Pol, Hoshi, and Porthos were all easy but I can't get Trip for the life of me.

tracer
04-26-2003, 11:45 PM
You don't think they'd just give you Trip on a silver platter, do you? Pffff. For a character like Trip, you've gotta work at that quiz.

AncientHumanoid
04-26-2003, 11:45 PM
You're Charlie "Trip" Tucker. You stay down to earth no matter how far away from it you travel. You have a charm that always works to your advantage. When it comes to your friends, you're fiercely loyal almost to a fault. No matter what the situation, you've got the best lines out of anyone on Enterprise.

Ephemera
04-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Just finished it. Got 'em all.. my problem was that I was making him too aggresive or however it's spelled. I'm sure viva will be along shortly to tell me.

AncientHumanoid
04-26-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out the combinations for each character. Archer, T'Pol, Hoshi, and Porthos were all easy but I can't get Trip for the life of me.

You just gotta be Trip

Ephemera
04-26-2003, 11:50 PM
I'd rather be Hoshi.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my quarters studying.. uh.. languages.

Achernar
04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
I got T'Pol, but just for the sake of maintaining my image, I'll say I got Archer. :p

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:26 AM
I did that quiz several weeks ago, and I was T'Pol.
My brother was Archer, and his daughters were Trip and T'Pol, respectively.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:31 AM
We should do a redux of casting Trek with various Dopers.

I'd be the Panda.. NCB would be Porthos.. cplant would be Phlox..

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:33 AM
If I'm T'Pol, then Kn*ckers could be Hoshi.

Who could be Mayweather? Maybe someone who doesn't check in here very often?

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Of the regulars, that'd probably be Wearia or Cervaise.

And I'm Hoshi, damn it!

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Sounds like "I'm Gumby, dammit..."

Cervaise could be Crewman Daniels.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:40 AM
I never watched Gumby.. why would people doubt that a big pile of walking green clay was in fact who he said he was?

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:42 AM
Perhaps you are too young to remember the Eddie Murphy Angry Gumby routine on SNL?

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:45 AM
My earliest memories of that show involve Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, David Spade, and others during the first Bush's administration so yeah.. probably.

Eddy Murphy was on SNL?

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Yeah....so you missed not only Gumby, but Buckwheat as well.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Wookin pa nub...

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Very good! I was just about to post that.

Make dit wurd a betta pace, ip doo tan....

I used to have a Buckwheat t-shirt with his image and the word "O-Tay!" on it.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:54 AM
I liked the Ninja Turtles.

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 12:57 AM
They arrived a bit too late for me, old crone that I am.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Bah. I still watch the Powerpuff Girls.

Buttercup's awesome.

vivalostwages
04-27-2003, 02:41 PM
I'd rather be Hoshi.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my quarters studying.. uh.. languages.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
And learning a few new conjugations, no doubt.

tracer
04-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Bah. I still watch the Powerpuff Girls.

Buttercup's awesome.
Buttercup is a meanie.

Ephemera
04-27-2003, 04:48 PM
That's what makes her so cool!

If I had kids, I'd want them to be like Bubbles though. She's so cute.

Kn*ckers
04-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks lots for the hugs. I feel much better now. :)

Oh, Ew, that quiz thinks I'm T'Pol. I'm so disappointed. I'm going to try it again, telling lots of lies....
Woohoo - now I'm Trip. It's all about being charming and talkative and ordering pizza. I'll keep that in mind.

tracer
04-28-2003, 12:30 PM
If I had kids, I'd want them to be like Bubbles though. She's so cute.
Yeah, but she's dumber than a sack of hammers.

Ephemera
04-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Bah.. so're your mom's kids. :p

:mad:

Cervaise
04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
I thought this was the serious thread. ;)Originally posted by vivalostwages
Cervaise could be Crewman Daniels.I don't have all the answers, I just act like I do.

Man, do you people not have anything better to do over the weekend, or what? I rarely read the Dope on Saturdays and Sundays. I come back to Bandwidth Heaven on Monday morning, and there's a thousand new posts in not just this thread, and not in the other "Breach" thread, but also in the Thread That Will Not Die. So do you guys just not have lives? Is that it?

Oh, wait. Star Trek thread. Right.

Never mind. ;)

Ephemera
04-28-2003, 12:42 PM
If I had a life, I wouldn't be on the SDMB period. :p

Ephemera
04-28-2003, 12:45 PM
And an addendum: look at the times of the posts made. Almost all of them were made in a thirty minute time period. So n'yah.

Tars Tarkas
04-28-2003, 12:53 PM
http://www.red-anubis.com/quizes/entquiz.html

I'm Hoshi. Yay!

Get away from me, Tars.

It says i'm Hoshi, too. I shall refrain from making a masturbation joke...... You have no idea how hard it is to not make a joke...... Must...hit....submit...without....making....joke.....

Kn*ckers
04-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Cervaise: I hear ya, buddy - I ain't got nunathis new-fangled technology at home, so I'm blissfully unaware of the astonishing twists and turns of hijackery that take place over the weekend. Then I get back to the office Monday morning, and my little brain boggles to read the scores and thousands of posts that have appeared in my absence.

But it's kind of fun. The brain-boggling thing, I mean.

Does anyone remember that game "Boggle"? It involved plastic cubes with letters on them, I think. I forget. I had it when I was, like, five, or something.
Hm.

AncientHumanoid
04-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Did it also involve eating a bug?

Achernar
04-28-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Cervaise
I thought this was the serious thread. ;)The sad part is... this is serious. :D

vivalostwages
04-29-2003, 12:12 AM
So who's gonna start the next thread or two for "Cogenitor" (AKA "Pandage a trois")?

Ephemera
04-29-2003, 12:28 AM
One of us could but cplant would pitch a hissy like he did last week when Archernar took his toy away from him and I, for one, don't want to have to comfort him. Again.

Achernar
04-29-2003, 12:59 AM
I'm not going to do it; I don't think I'll be able to see this one until the weekend. I really don't think we need two threads again, because we seem to be like goldfish that expand to fill their containers. I swear if we had the entire front page of Cafe Society covered with Enterprise threads, they'd each have 100 posts within five days. :)

Ephemera
04-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Only a hundred? Pessimist.

AncientHumanoid
04-29-2003, 08:50 AM
I just ate a bug

Tars Tarkas
04-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Achernar
I swear if we had the entire front page of Cafe Society covered with Enterprise threads, they'd each have 100 posts within five days. :)

sounds like a challenge to me...TO ARMS, TREK-CITIZENS!

AncientHumanoid
04-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Four arms!

Tars Tarkas
04-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Four-arms is in the forums in great form!

AncientHumanoid
04-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Form follows function!

except where prohibitted by law

vivalostwages
04-29-2003, 06:26 PM
There--are--FOUR--ARMS!

I just ate a bug that was on a carnivorous plant.

And then I ate the plant.

vivalostwages
04-29-2003, 07:05 PM
With falafel.

tracer
04-29-2003, 07:38 PM
And braised panda meat.

Ephemera
04-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by vivalostwages
I just ate a bug that was on [carnivorousplant].

And then I ate [him].

You make this too easy.

vivalostwages
04-29-2003, 11:22 PM

You make this too easy.
-------------------------------------------------------
It is YOU who does such things, Easyiron! It all comes out of your brain.
Brain and brain, what is Aes]'s brain? It is easy, is it not?

vivalostwages
04-29-2003, 11:24 PM
The hamsters ate part of my bracket!
This thread makes us all hungry.

AncientHumanoid
04-29-2003, 11:32 PM
[crunch]

[munch, munch, munch]

tracer
04-29-2003, 11:59 PM
In rewatching "The Tholian Web", I just saw something else to look out for in Enterprise, if it happens.

In "The Tholian Web," Spock says that no record exists of the crew of any starship ever mutinying.

So ... if you see any mutinies on Enterprise, be sure to jump up and call "Foul!"!

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 12:09 AM
Didn't the crew of Garth of Izar's starship mutiny? If so, it's just more proof of how much TOS sucks when it can't even keep continuity within itself.

Tars Tarkas
04-30-2003, 12:23 AM
(we're really going to hear it when Aesiron gets wind of UESPA from the early TOS episodes...)

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 12:26 AM
I hate TOS but I'm well read on Trek lore and know all about Kirk's supposed United Earth Space Probe Agency. :p

Don't even get me started on Vulcanians.

tracer
04-30-2003, 02:57 AM
Didn't the crew of Garth of Izar's starship mutiny? If so, it's just more proof of how much TOS sucks when it can't even keep continuity within itself.
Nonsense.

"The Tholian Web," in which Spock claimed that there was no record of a starship crew mutinying, took place on stardate 5693.2.

"Whom Gods Destroy," in which Garth of Izar claimed that the crew of his starship mutinied, took place on stardate 5718.3.

Obviously, Garth's mutiny happened some time during the 25.1 stardates in between those episodes. :p

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 03:03 AM
You're going to try and convince me that Chekov was really a part of the Enterprise's crew during the time that Khan attempted to comandeer the vessel next, aren't you? :dubious:

tracer
04-30-2003, 03:06 AM
I hate TOS but I'm well read on Trek lore and know all about Kirk's supposed United Earth Space Probe Agency. :p
Apparently, so does this list of names for Earth/human-based military organizations in ST:TOS:

http://www.stguardian.to/various.txt

The theory is that UESPA is one subdivision of what later came to be called Starfleet Command.

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 03:08 AM
Apologist!

tracer
04-30-2003, 03:13 AM
You're going to try and convince me that Chekov was really a part of the Enterprise's crew during the time that Khan attempted to comandeer the vessel next, aren't you? :dubious:
In Michael Okuda's subtitle commentary on the Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Director's Edition DVD, he says that Walter Koenig likes to joke about that. Koenig's favorite theory is that, while Khan was wandering around off camera, he wanted to use the bathroom, but Chekov spent way too much time keeping him waiting -- so when Chekov finally emerged, Khan made sure never to forget his face and vowed to take revenge on him some day. ;)

What with alien earwigs "wrapping themselves around the cerebral cortex," and the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI sending out "shockwaves" through space causing Ceti Alpha V to "shift its orbit," ST2:TWoK has far worse things to worry about than whether Khan ever saw Chekov before.

tracer
04-30-2003, 03:15 AM
Apologist!
Heretic!

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 03:16 AM
Speaking of the shifting orbits thing, I never understood how Ceti Alpha VI exploding would make them mistake Ceti Alpha V as being VI. VII would now be VI, not V.

That's bugged me for years.

Achernar
04-30-2003, 03:20 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. When they enter a system, do they really spend time counting the planets, or do they just match up Planet V with what their computer says Planet V should look like. Seriously, though, the idea that anyone could mistake one planet for another is pretty silly.

tracer
04-30-2003, 10:44 AM
If Ceti Alpha V "shifted its orbit" in such a way that it would later appear at a position where Ceti Alpha VI was expected to appear, and if the surface features of Ceti Alpha VI had never been surveyed before, then the crew of the reliant could easily have mistaken Ceti Alpha V for Ceti Alpha VI.

Planets are really small when compared to the size of the star system they're in. Trying to locate and count each planet before establishing whether or not the planet beneath them was in fact the 6th farthest from Ceti Alpha may have just been considered a waste of time.

You'd think, however, that the name "Ceti Alpha" would have rung a bell with Chekov some time earlier during their mission, considering how he recognized the name "Botany Bay."

Tars Tarkas
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Botany Bay=easy to remember

hundreds of systems with random greek letters as names=hard to distinguish

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 02:57 PM
If Ceti Alpha V "shifted its orbit" in such a way that it would later appear at a position where Ceti Alpha VI was expected to appear, and if the surface features of Ceti Alpha VI had never been surveyed before, then the crew of the Reliant could easily have mistaken Ceti Alpha V for Ceti Alpha VI.

Planets are really small when compared to the size of the star system they're in. Trying to locate and count each planet before establishing whether or not the planet beneath them was in fact the 6th farthest from Ceti Alpha may have just been considered a waste of time.

Okay, I did some researching. The first season of TOS took place in 2267 and the events of ST:TWOK took place in 2285 according to the Star Trek Encyclopedia. According to Khan in the movie (I FFWed to that part to hear it first hand) Ceti Alpha VI blew up six months after being marooned there. Since he was marooned there about halfway through the first season, that means it was around 2268 when the orbits started shifting.

That gives them seventeen years.

After that, I looked up info on the planets in our solar system. The planets that are closest to each other ar Venus and Earth at a mean distance of 26,000,000 miles or 2.36 light minutes.

That means that assuming Ceti Alphas V and VI were as close as Earth and Venus, the explosion would have had to have enough force to push a planet in the opposite direction at a speed of 1,529,411.76 miles per year or 1.55 light seconds.

Someone with a better idea of physics can try to explain the rest of this, like how big the explosion would have to be to move a planet at that speed. And how the people living on the planet managed to live. :dubious:

Achernar
04-30-2003, 04:56 PM
If Ceti Alpha V "shifted its orbit" in such a way that it would later appear at a position where Ceti Alpha VI was expected to appear, and if the surface features of Ceti Alpha VI had never been surveyed before,If a probe in the system had determined that Ceti Alpha V was habitable, they must have known plenty about it, like its mass, radius, and oblateness. So they go into the Ceti Alpha system to map a previously-unmapped planet, and see that it has identical parameters to Ceti Alpha V. Clearly, the only reasonable conclusion is that it's Ceti Alpha VI, and it's just a big coincidence, and it's not even worth looking around for Ceti Alpha V to make sure they didn't make a mistake. :)

tracer
04-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Achernar:

If Ceti Alpha V get hit hard enough by the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI to shift its orbit -- and in order to produce enough force to do so, especially across the vacuum of space through which shock waves cannot propagate, Ceti Alpha VI would have had to have gone nova -- then it would have also gotten hit hard enough for its physical parameters to change.

And besides, even if its mass and radius weren't affected by the explosion, but everyone knows that in the Star Trek universe, all extrasolar planets have exactly the same mass and radius as the Earth. That's why all alien planets have a surface gravity of exactly 1 g.

Tars Tarkas
04-30-2003, 07:01 PM
it doesn't have to be opposite. observe the situation:

where 5 is Ceti Alpha 5 and 6 is Ceti Alpha 6. 5 is closer, but at this angle of rotation 6 is below it. six then explodes, but in giant zit explosion way

where * is the exploding debris shooting at 5. five then gets nailed and goes off orbit., regravitifiying up several million miles back, in the place of six. Meanwhile, another chunk of 6 heads forward to about where 5 was and gets stuck in an orbit there, and is erroroniously labeled as 5 with a do not go there warning when the USS NoFactChecker flew by for a rescan.

Tars Tarkas
04-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Or whenever you see something like that, Q did it!

tracer
04-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Tars:

Where is Ceti Alpha (the star they're orbiting) in those ASCII art drawings, relative to the two planets?

Achernar
04-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Achernar:

If Ceti Alpha V get hit hard enough by the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI to shift its orbit -- and in order to produce enough force to do so, especially across the vacuum of space through which shock waves cannot propagate, Ceti Alpha VI would have had to have gone nova -- then it would have also gotten hit hard enough for its physical parameters to change.That's fair, except that we see people living on the surface. An explosion with enough power to change the mass of a planet in any significant way would have screwed it over in a Praxis-like way. Although come to think of it, we saw someone on Praxis too. Hmm....

tracer
04-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Yeah, but Khan had the fact of his vastly superior intellect which enabled them to survive. ;)

AncientHumanoid
04-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm, at a rough guess, some forty billion times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know why you just said a planet nova-d.

In Saturn's rings are "shepherd" moons that regularly swap orbits.

AncientHumanoid
04-30-2003, 08:41 PM
But, Khan Noonian Sihng says it exploded, so now all of us have to figure out whether or not he lied just to manipulate circumstances.

Tars Tarkas
05-01-2003, 01:04 AM
new picture

Sun

\

Sun

\

Tars Tarkas
05-01-2003, 01:06 AM
uh, deep six that 6 in picture 2 and make it a . for debris

vivalostwages
05-01-2003, 01:28 AM
I feel like I've got a Ceti eel wrapped around my cerebral cortex.

Do you think a couple of Tylenol(s) would help?

Ephemera
05-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Teke two wodkas and call me in the morneeng.

vivalostwages
05-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Wery good.

Ephemera
05-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Och, thank ye kindly, lassie. Don' even think a thing abou' it.

tracer
05-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by NoClueBoy
I'm, at a rough guess, some forty billion times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know why you just said a planet nova-d.
Because, at the typical distances between planets (even in the "cramped" confines of our inner solar system), a planet would still have to undergo a cataclysmic event of about the same energy and magnitude as a full-blown nova to influence the orbit of another planet to a significant degree.

The only explanation for Ceti Alpha VI exploding with such tremendous violence is that it was mis-identified. The "planet" of Ceti Alpha VI was actually a white dwarf star. Oh, and the astronomers charting that system not only missed this fact, they also missed the fact that Ceti Alpha VI was orbiting another, larger star so closely that it was sucking material off of that star. 'Cause, like, a white dwarf in a mass-exchange binary sistem is what it takes to produce a nova, you see.

Either that, or Ceti Alpha VI had a core made entirely of antimatter, and it just happened to pick that moment to "lose containment."

vivalostwages
05-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Teke two wodkas and call me in the morneeng.

I wasn't up for the orange creamsicle wodkas, so I had cheapo cab sauv instead. And I feel much better now.

Ephemera
05-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Orange Creamsicle? Wodka? I haf only had it straight up or in a screwdriwer but will haf to keep en eye out for this creamsicle vawiety.

tracer
05-01-2003, 04:56 PM
You know, the Creamsickle was inwented in Russia.

vivalostwages
08-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Obligatory bump.

Ephemera
08-09-2003, 11:45 PM
I steel vant a cweamsicle wodka.

Ephemera
08-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Ooh, ooh.. nine more posts and I'm gonna party like it's 1999.

Tars Tarkas
08-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Did i even see this episode? What the flying tyberian bat was it about? The Beach?

vivalostwages
08-10-2003, 01:34 PM
It was about Trip, Reed, and Mayweather rescuing Denobulon scientists, for the most part. I think this one also had a B-story about Phlox and a patient who didn't want the doc to treat him because of the bad blood between their races. ?

Ephemera
08-10-2003, 03:45 PM
It also had Trip threatening to pop a cap in one of the Denobulans' asses.

Best. Enterprise. Line. Ever.

AncientHumanoid
08-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by NoClueBoy

In the cave rescue, Travis drops the rock samples down the bottomless (but not quite bottomless) pit

Denobulan scientist weenie: "My skeeliotites!"

Trip: "Fuck your skeeliotites."

DSW: "Fortunately, I have other samples..."

;j