PDA

View Full Version : I broke my kitten's leg this morning...

Aguecheek
04-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Not on purpose, mind.

I was walking to the bedroom, going to get dressed for work, when he came tearing out and crashed into my leg, throwing me off balance. As I tried to catch myself, my foot came up and down right on top of his left forearm. I didn't hear any nasty breaking noises or ear shattering caterwauls, so I figured he got a squished leg and nothing else.

I got up, and he was limping around, holding his little paw up around his cheek. Wouldn't even let it sit on the ground when he was standing still.

Worst part was when we had to bung him up in the carrier to take him to the vet, he was so scared he kept pushing and jumping his way out of our arms, which must have hurt. A lot.

X-rays showed a clean break right across the forearm. And the nature of the break means that a splint won't do. He's gotta have surgery tomorrow to have a pin put in. In the meantime, he's sitting at home, tranked to the gills. Poor l'il booger.

I broke my kitten's leg this morning, and I feel awful.

I'm sorry Calvin.:(

The Composer
04-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Aw! :(

I'm sure he'll love you just the same. Give him lots of love and he'll be fine.

troub
04-24-2003, 03:31 PM
It happens. I fell on top of my (about 3 mo. old at the time) puppy's leg once, and he screamed, and completely went into defense-mode--he bit me in a couple of places. The biting only lasted a few seconds, though, then he let me carry him home. Turned out he only had a deep muscle bruise, but it was awful nonetheless.

I told the vet how awful I felt about it, and she reiterated that it happens all the time. She even had a friend, a fellow vet, who killed her small dog by tripping over it--broke its neck. So don't feel too bad.

Harli
04-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Awwwwww!
Poor kitty!!

Don't feel bad, it wasn't on purpose.
Give your kitty lots of love and affection for me! :)

Washte
04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Poor puddy tat :(

Good on ya for taking him to the vet and getting him all fixed up.

Hugs and scratches to you both.

Olentzero
04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Evil Canadian kitty torturers! Always making it look like an accident! Evil evil evil!

No seriously, it's an absolute stone bitch that it happened. Is the pin going to be permanent or will it come out at some point? Poor Calvin, us all down here in DC wish him a speedy and full recovery. And that he doesn't avoid you like the plague forevermore.

Dana27
04-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Well I'm glad your kitten will hopefully be ok. I think everyone steps on their kitten or puppy when they are growing up. They are pretty tough however so don't feel too bad. It's not like you did it on purpose and it sounds like your doc will have your kitten fixed up very soon. Let us know how the surgery goes.

lorinada
04-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Poor little kitty, and poor Aguecheek, too.

Kitties are forgiving, though, he'll be purring and headbonking you again in no time.

missbunny
04-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Poor kitty! Don't worry, he will forget all about the pain you inflicted upon him in oh, 10 or 12 years.

Just kidding. He knows you didn't mean it. Poor baby!

porcupine
04-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Awwww....

It won't teach him to stop craching into you, though. If anything, he'll probably do it more, with claws out, grabbing at your ankles, to get back at you. :D

Aguecheek
04-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Olentzero, he had it comin', I tells ya! He'd stolen my Tim Horton's just the other...week! Yeah.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm not sure if the pin'll be permanent or not, but if it is, he'll have something to tell the ladies when he's older ('cause that's all he'll be able to do, anyways!)

Seriously, though, I am kinda worried about his psyche. His mother was dumped and he was born in the wild, so he's always been a bit (read lot) shy around strangers and loud noises. We've finally managed to get him out of his shell in recent weeks, and I'm worried that this might cause him to retreat into himself again. When we first got him, he'd do nothing but hide in a corner for hours on end and not let anyone near him.

Nothing to do but wait, I guess. Again, thanks for listening, and I'll make sure to let everyone know how the surgery turns out.

UncleBill
04-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Geobabe broke our cat (a little bit) about three months ago, but he still sleeps on her head, so he's forgiven her.

DeVena
04-24-2003, 04:28 PM
I am so sorry! Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.

Payton's Servant
04-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Great. Add something else to the long list of reasons why all cats are trying to murder us in our sleep.

whiterabbit
04-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Poor baby! And here I feel terrible if I step on a dog's paw, and those of you with dogs know how LOUD they are when you do that!

I've stepped on cats before, but I never actually injured one. Your kitty will be fine, though. I'd feel terrible too!

Geobabe
04-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by UncleBill
Geobabe broke our cat (a little bit) about three months ago, but he still sleeps on her head, so he's forgiven her. He was FINE a couple of days later.

Guinastasia
04-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Aw, poor baby!

Give Calvin hugs from me! Any pictures?

monica
04-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Aguecheek, I know exactly how you feel. I managed to break my dog's leg. I was carrying her and tripped over the baby gate. She needed pins, too. Just know that now she's back to normal and still loves me. I know how bad you feel, but it'll all be ok.

Scotticher
04-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Don't worry, baby.......cats are forgiving.

Yeah, right. :)

Well, I'M forgiving, and I FORGIVE YOU!!!

just tell Calvin, when he is feeling better and you find him sitting at the foot of the bed with a potato gun...."HEY! SCOTTI FORGAVE ME!!!!" and see how far THAT gets you! ;) )

Love you darling.....how come we never see you around much anymore?

::huggles::

Cheri

rjk
04-24-2003, 11:32 PM
{{{ Aguecheek and Calvin }}}

Pixiesnix
04-24-2003, 11:49 PM
This thread reminds me of the time my father accidentally ran over my cat's kittens. ::sob::

I did accidenally bump into another one of her kittens (she had many litters), and I swear that cat ran for the hills every time I came near. It was an accident! Really!

SLASH
04-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Wow that sucks.

I've lost kittens before too. One time my cat had a litter of six, and one day when they were about 4 weeks old, my dog killed 4 of them.

I got home and found the mangled corpses of 4 dead kittens on my patio! The dog had basically picked them up and then bit deep into their sides(while they were still alive and breathing I assume) and then proceeded to mutilate them. Hooray!

Lobsang
04-25-2003, 01:06 AM
As my own 'kitten' (my niece) broke her leg recently (well a car rode over it) I feel your pain.

Get well soon Calvin.

Be glad you got her leg and not her body, as I am glad it was only my niece's leg that was broken.

tavalla
04-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Kitties forgive: I'm sure Calvin will. Lots of behind-the-ear skritchies will help (watch out, they're perfectly capable of milking your guilt for more treats and so on too ;) ).

My cat Velcro sends good wishes to Calvin.

Lobsang
04-25-2003, 06:02 AM
'Velcro' Has to be the best name I have ever seen for a cat!

jjimm
04-25-2003, 06:10 AM
I've stepped on my kitty many a time. In fact I'd warrant that every cat owner steps on their cat at some point or other. It's not your fault - you just got unlucky.

When we were kids, my sister's gerbil escaped, and my dad pounced on it as it ran across the floor. He put it in the gerbil cage, and it just lay there: he'd killed it. Cue mass familial hysteria, and several people late for classes that morning.

finn1911
04-25-2003, 06:29 AM
ouch! poor kitty :(

I'm pretty sure this is going to happen to me someday. My cat has a habbit of spazing out and tearing up/down the stairs anytime someone uses them. Usually it's pretty funny to see, but every once in a while i end up on my ass trying to avoid falling on her :eek:

Aguecheek
04-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Off to the vet. More later.

Count Blucher
04-25-2003, 10:31 AM
OK, I've said cruel cat things in the past. I still hip your cat is OK. If they do to it what they did to another cat I knew of that broke its leg, It will get a cast for several weeks.

Try to spend extra play time with your cat. Spoiling with treats may not be a bad thing. And for the next few weeks, sleep with yur pillow over your ear, because all night long you're going to hear <skamper> <Klump!>, <skamper> <Klump!>, <skamper> <Klump!>...

porcupine
04-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by UncleBill
Geobabe broke our cat (a little bit) about three months ago, but he still sleeps on her head, so he's forgiven her.

She neutered him?

:eek:

;)

phantomdiver
04-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Poor you, Aguecheek! And poor kitty!

My niece broke her *daughter's* leg once. She was carrying the baby on the stairs and tripped and fell and the poor little girl broke her mom's fall. Boy, did she feel awful!

Poor little girl is now fine and untraumatized and, if I recall correctly, a really really good swimmer. So don't worry. It'll be fine.

Velma
04-25-2003, 11:02 AM
I feel so guilty whenever I accidentally hurt an animal. Our dog has been stepped on, tripped over (although she does like to stand right in front of you, so that's her own fault), and tackled. The worst was once she cut her paw open on a metal shaving my husband must have tracked in from his work, and had to be bandaged and wear a cone for a week! She moped around the whole time with a very hurt, guilt-inducing look on her face.

The good thing about animals is, they don't hold a grudge. All is forgiven now. But I do think they know how to milk an injury!

delphica
04-25-2003, 12:00 PM
The real danger is that your kitty will learn from this experience. I stepped on the Gryff's paw once when he was a kitten, and he looked so miserable limping around that I gave him tons of kitty treats and people food goodies from the fridge, like prime rib.

As the days went on, and he kept limping, I felt worse and worse. Finally Mr. Del pointed out that the Gryff would only limp when I went into the kitchen -- that darn cat LEARNED to limp to get his treats! I swear, sometimes he throws himself down in front of me and pretends I stepped on him, with one eye on the refrigerator door the entire time.

I'm sure little Calvin will be up and about soon!

alice_in_wonderland
04-25-2003, 12:14 PM
I steped on Bart the Bunny once - flattened him right out (he had snuck up behind me while I was standing on the toilet - it's a long story).

Anyhow - he was draging his leg around for a while. Then I spied on him in the livingroom when I was in a different room and he was hopping around perfectly fine. When I walked in he started draging his leg again. The stinker. :)

I hope your kitty is ok.

Maastricht
04-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Actually, trying to trip their feeder is purposeful kitten behaviour.

There is a time in kittenhood when mommacat will begin weaning her kittens. Feeding then becoms a contest. Durign this time, kittens will try to trip mommacat on purpose! Dashing in her way, meandering in front of her. When momma is trips and falls on her side, every kitten grabs the nearest teat and starts feeding. With 4 kittens on her, getting up again is no easy feat.

My cat (who is seven years old) shows a lot of kitten behaviour around feeding time. High little meows, and the tripping stuff, too. When I walk to the closet to get another tin of catfood, he will always walk in my way, dashing between my legs, just waiting to be stepped on or tripped over. Needless to say, I've kicked him accidentally many times. (of course always followed by sweet talk to let him know I was not being agressive) He does not seem to mind enough to learn....

Zenham
04-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I can really, really empathize. I'm feeling guilty as hell, too.

My kitten got out on Saturday, and I found him behind the house. When I brought him in, he was limping a little, letting his rear left foot touch the ground but not putting any significant weight on it. No hissing or anything... so I figured he must have strained it. Turns out (we think) he jumped down from a second story window... !!

In any case, because it wasn't getting better, he went in to the vet on Tuesday morning. All of that time watching him, I never had a clue it was broken... neither could the vet confirm or deny until x-rays got done. He had a major fracture right at the top of his leg, at the base of the ball joint.... sheared, and a few shards of bone around it.

He went in for surgery on Tuesday evening ($1100 US, ouch), I got him home last night, and I have to keep him penned up in a room without a single thing for him to climb on for a month. Zoiks.

In any case, I'm giving him lots and lots of attention and love, and he's more affectionate than ever, and seems to be a bit more comfortable now, even with the bad haircut (completely bald from halfway down his body to halfway up his tail, gah) and the staples over his hip.

He'll get over it faster than you will, I'm sure. :)

Salty Captain
04-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Hehehe.

I mean, aww..

Aguecheek
04-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Good news: We were really concerned about how we were going to pay for the whole thing. The first vet figured it would cost us between $1,500 and $2,000 to get the surgery. And of course, the surgeon wouldn't accept monthly payments. Turns out there's a system called "Care Credit," a credit card dealy for vets that gives them their fee and you can pay them off in installments. We got accepted to a limit of $2,500. No worries about paying for surgery.

But we didn't have to use it, 'cause the bill only came to $94, 'cause...

Better News: the surgeon didn't feel it was necessary. Since only one of the two bones was broken, the unbroken one provided enough support for them to just use a splint. Woot! Of course, I've got to go around the 'partment and block/take away any fun jumping spots but that's a small price to pay. Calvin is currently lying on the floor with his funky new blue cast, rolling around and walking in circles like Long John Silver. And will be doing so for six weeks.

Guin, I've got hordes of pictures, but they're all on my speedy, T1-served computer at work, but I'll post them to a website on Monday, and you're more than welcome to have a boo. He's the gosh-darndest cutest bugger on the West Coast.

Scotti, I'm gonna tell him that if you can forgive me, he should too. That'll learn him.;) As for why no one's seen us, it's been a very...interesting past few months. It's a long story, but things have been clearing up lately, and I plan on showing up at the next get-together, so you'll see us soon, promise.

Velcro is indeed a kickass name.

Vanilla Toast, that's exactly what we figgered would happen to Calvin, too. My wife's been on pins and needles all morning worried (I called her and gave her the news before I logged on here, though). Big hugs to your kitten, and a chuck on the shoulder for luck!

Everyone else (gad! Way too many names, here), thanks all for the hugs and the thoughts and the jokes. I'm gonna go give Calvin a ruffle on his tum, now.

That is, after I carefully pull him down from the table top he just managed to jump onto, huge friggin' cast and all...

Lobsang
04-25-2003, 02:41 PM
My cat has a habbit of spazing out and tearing up/down the stairs anytime someone uses them. Usually it's pretty funny to see My dog does this! And she's a largeish border collie! Bloody zooms around the house as fast as she can for about 10 seconds! And then goes and lies down.

Archergal
04-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Lobsang
My dog does this! And she's a largeish border collie! Bloody zooms around the house as fast as she can for about 10 seconds! And then goes and lies down.

These episodes are known as FRAPs -- Frantic Random Activity Periods. Most common in young animals. And very amusing to watch.

Scupper
04-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Archergal
These episodes are known as FRAPs -- Frantic Random Activity Periods. Most common in young animals. And very amusing to watch.

My pug homer is seven and he still does this. He freaks out and flattens himself out on the ground like he's stretching, then begins tearing around the room like a rabbit (front legs move in tandem on the inside, back legs move in tandem on the outside). It would be funny from any animal, but with a pug, it's hysterical, because when he gets worked up he sounds like Donald Duck being strangled.

[nasal wheezy]"QUAH-HEH! QUAH-HEH! QUAH-HEH!"[/nasal wheezy]

DeVena
04-25-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm so glad they didn't have to use a pin! Just wait, it's only a matter of time until that splint becomes a weapon/tool. It's amazing how they adapt!

Guinastasia
04-25-2003, 04:34 PM
I see FRAPs in our seven year old, Noel. Just this morning, in fact, chasing the youngest, Piper Grace.

Geobabe
04-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by porcupine
She neutered him?

:eek:

;) No, I BROKE him. He was already fixed.

rocking chair
04-25-2003, 07:10 PM
i'm glad things worked out so well. i hope everything heals correctly.

it will take you longer to get over it than than calvin.

i look forward to seeing pictures.

Littlekitty666
04-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Can you do me a favor? Kiss the kitty on the nose and pet him gently for hours...that lets them know you love them! I have to love cats and since it was by accident, I won't call you a meanie-poo ....instead...just love your cat, and he/she will love you back!

Avarie537
04-25-2003, 11:53 PM
We have a different term for FRAPs. We always say that God's talking to the cat again - either that, or the aliens.

My brother once stepped one one of our (many, many) kittens when I was 12-13. Unfortunately, it was with his heel (he had gone up on tiptoe to open the curtains). And he weighed over 300 lbs. Emergency vets are expensive, even if it's just one injection. *sob*

mdf
04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Scupper
... then begins tearing around the room like a rabbit (front legs move in tandem on the inside, back legs move in tandem on the outside).

Our small auxiliary dog used to do this - he's 12 or 13 now, and we haven't seen it in some time. Even called it 'bunny mode'. The large main dog just eats telephones and sacks of aluminum cans set out to go to the recycler. Okay, she hasn't done that for a few years - but give her an empty one-liter soda bottle and let the games begin!

Re: OP - It sounds like your kitten is getting the best of care - and a little spoiling will make you both feel better. Wishing the furball a speedy recovery.

-mdf

Sapphire Wolf
04-26-2003, 01:06 AM
I almost broke a friend's turtle.

I was standing in the doorway of her computer room, leaning on the door frame, one foot propped up on the ball, talking to her.

I feel this sudden tug on my sock, and I flipped out. Because, not five seconds ago, Zeus had been across the hall in the OTHER room.

I almost brought my heel down right on his turtley head, 'cause he'd decided to try and eat my sock.

I just barely missed him, and now I'm ALWAYS on the look out for Speedy 'Zeus' Gonzalez.

Sigmundex
04-26-2003, 02:25 AM
I've stepped on various parts of my cats a few times, but the thing that made me feel the worst just happened last night. I weed-eated a cute little froggy while doing the yard work. I kept right on going, I mean the weed eater is a pain in the ass to start again once it's shut off, and he was sitting there in the grass, trying to move but only wiggling. I wish I could have put the little guy out of his misery, but I didn't want to get splatted with blood.

And, NO, I DIDN'T tell my 6 year old daughter about it!

dcnewsman
04-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Aguecheek

I'm sorry Calvin.:(

What happened to the other cat? The one from Canada who finally got shipped to Seattle? Don't tell me it got to hot and rainy out there after you promised it wouldn't and she moved back to Maryland?

masonite
04-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Oh, thank goodness. I almost never open pet-trauma threads of any kind. There are those who will vehemently disagree, but I applaud you for being willing to pay big buck$$$ for a kitty's health. They're NOT interchangeable; you'd suck if you just put this cat down and got another. Good on you. And congratulations on the money savings.

Sorry this post is a bit unoriginal and content-free; I figured since I made it through the thread I might as well chime in.

Aguecheek
04-29-2003, 12:08 PM
dcnewsman, the older cat was wasn't cute anymore, so we got rid of her. ;)

Actually, we figured since we were gone all day, she might enjoy some company, and Lady Cheek asked nicely. So I got him for her for Xmas.

At any rate, as promised, I've posted some pictures to the web. No pictures of Calvin's cast yet, but whatchagonnado? I had to use Earthlink's nasty little "Click 'n' Build," 'cause I know no HTML whatsoever. First page is us, second page and third pages are the cats (links at the bottom). Enjoy! (http://home.mindspring.com/~amckelvey/index.html)