PDA

View Full Version : The thread police - get a life

mipiace
05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
DOn't you hate people who think thay have to police everyone else's threads? I am not talking about moderators, I mean this:
Originally posted by jarbabyj
No problem at all. Just wondering when I'm going to open up the Boards without people cleverly disguising flirt threads as 'honest questions about relationships'

Of course I don't have to read them, but when they take up a third of the 'most recent threads' page, I feel like speaking up.

And since the SDMB goes in cycles, I'm just assuming this is the 'where can I get a good fisting/ I love blowjobs/ men can't get enough of my big tits" cycle that Nature experiences every spring.

Carry on.

Originally posted by jarbabyj
So when is this frigging SDMB rutting season going to be over?

Okay so this person is minding his or her own business when someone sends her a link saying someone is posting sex related threads. Even though the thread wasn't started by the person he or she feels compelled to monitor, he or she checks it out anyway and feels further compelled to post. Then has to explain that they weren't actually interested in the subject, they simply felt compelled to police the subject matter because all these sex related threads are muddying 1/3 of the board that I have the audacity to be new at and he or she finds the subject matter boring enough to have to have someone send updates to him or her to make sure that no one is talking about sex. Boring enough to go and check it out herself, and boring enough to be compelled to "speak up" .

Get a life. If you don't want to read it - dont' read it but don't "speak up" to other people.

hebesphenomegacorona
05-08-2003, 03:36 PM
THOUGHTCRIME!

tiny ham
05-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Boy you've got me pegged. Jarbabyj: the gal who hates people talkin' about sex.

That's me. I'm so...shamed.

World Eater
05-08-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't see Jar doing anything wrong. She's not entitled to bitch?

friedo
05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by hebesphenomegacorona
THOUGHTCRIME!

BIG FONT VIOLATION!

Guinastasia
05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh, come off it, jar, we all know you're the prude of the SDMB!

:p

porcupine
05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
First, it's good form to provide a link so people know what the fuck you are talking about.

Second, "someone sends her a link"? Why do you think that's the case? I'm sure she found the thread just like most people do, just like I did, but browsing the boards.

Third, I can't really say I blame jarbaby. The number of threads that degenerating into flirt-fests lately make me think it's rutting season as well. And that jar, she's a prude, all right.

lel
05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
I've begrudgingly taught myself not to read threads when I can figure out from the title that they'll be flirt threads. On the other hand, I'm avoiding more threads than usual around here lately, and there are some threads where you just can't tell what they'll be.

If it's going to be a flirt thread, I don't see a problem with perhaps asking that they be labeled in a way where we know they're going to be flirt threads.

porcupine
05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Fixed Link (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=182532)

tiny ham
05-08-2003, 03:47 PM
porc, someone did send me a link, in the midst of a private discussion about the prevalence of sex threads lately, particularly davebear's sex threads. THe link said "davebear's at it again!" so I checked it out.

mipiace
05-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Doesn't matter to me if you are prudish or not but you can generally tell that the subject matter is going to be along the adult/TMI vein......can't you? I certainly can. If you want to avoid then do so. I LIKE rutting season, I purchased a license. If I find some of them offensive, i will just avoid those. I am not going to go in and cry and complain (unless it is here in the BBQ pit where it is much more appropriate. )

For that matter the person who sent you the link should get a life too.
)

Hamlet
05-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Iíve never thought of jarbabyj, sex, and police together before.

Jarbaby

Sex

Police

Hmmm.

Jarbaby, Sex, Police....

Iíll be right back.

THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA

SLAM!!!!!!!

IíM COMBING MY HAIR!!!!!!

porcupine
05-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Sorry, jar, I missed that part. The rest of my post stands. You are a prude. :D

hebesphenomegacorona
05-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by friedo
BIG FONT VIOLATION!

I DON'T CARE!

[SIZE=1] I HAD to do that...

mipiace
05-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by porcupine
First, it's good form to provide a link so people know what the fuck you are talking about.

Second, "someone sends her a link"? Why do you think that's the case? I'm sure she found the thread just like most people do, just like I did, but browsing the boards.

Third, I can't really say I blame jarbaby. The number of threads that degenerating into flirt-fests lately make me think it's rutting season as well. And that jar, she's a prude, all right.

Sorry porcupine. My bad, I thought I had posted all of her ingenious quotes that would have explained what the fuck I was talking about. But at least Jarbabyj did corroborate my story taht I did in fact know what the fuck I was talking about, so now you too can knowwhat the fuck i am talking about.

However the fuck you want to explain it, it is weird.

tiny ham
05-08-2003, 04:05 PM
well said.

BoBettie
05-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by mipiace
. If you don't want to read it - dont' read it but don't "speak up" to other people.

Well then don't YOU speak up about her speaking up about it..and..and...and....

Ah fuck it- not even worth the trouble.

lel
05-08-2003, 04:10 PM
For that matter the person who sent you the link should get a life too.

Wait, what's the problem with people sending each other threads privately and commenting on them? Should we now monitor our e-mails? I didn't know that was now a sign of having no life, I guess I must give up my thread sending and commenting ways.

(FTR, I had nothing to do with the sending of the thread referred to in this thread.)

mipiace
05-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by lel
Wait, what's the problem with people sending each other threads privately and commenting on them? Should we now monitor our e-mails? I didn't know that was now a sign of having no life, I guess I must give up my thread sending and commenting ways.

(FTR, I had nothing to do with the sending of the thread referred to in this thread.)

Okay you have a good point there...I wouldn't want to become the email thread sending police...AAAACck (She runs from teh room with her hair on fire)

Anyway, yep I took it to the pit but I didn't jump into her thread. I f you don't like something take it to the pit. I did (after I got done rutting of course)

Velma
05-08-2003, 04:21 PM
I agree that if it's clear what a thread is about in the title, then people who complain about the topic in the thread are stupid. That said, I don't know if that's the case here. I opened that thread too, and didn't expect it to be another big flirt fest, but it was. I was annoyed a little too, just because it seems like a lot of threads are turning that way by the same people.

I think it is just a case of too much at once. If it happens once in a while people tend to think it's not a big deal, but it's kind of hard to ignore right now, there's an awful lot of threads like this lately. So I feel jarbabyj's annoyance. People of course are free to not care that I am annoyed and carry on.

I also think it's hilarious that jarbaby is getting pitted for raining on people's sex parade.:)

mipiace
05-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Velma
I agree that if it's clear what a thread is about in the title, then people who complain about the topic in the thread are stupid. That said, I don't know if that's the case here. I opened that thread too, and didn't expect it to be another big flirt fest, but it was. I was annoyed a little too, just because it seems like a lot of threads are turning that way by the same people.

I think it is just a case of too much at once. If it happens once in a while people tend to think it's not a big deal, but it's kind of hard to ignore right now, there's an awful lot of threads like this lately. So I feel jarbabyj's annoyance. People of course are free to not care that I am annoyed and carry on.

I also think it's hilarious that jarbaby is getting pitted for raining on people's sex parade.:)

That is a very intelligent opinion Velma and one that might make one pause for thought.....thank you for raising the standard of the SDMB.

Velma
05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
thank you for raising the standard of the SDMB.

You're welcome. Now with that done,

:flashes the thread:

Maastricht
05-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Don't you think the main reason the thread police (jarbabyj being an excellent example) are so damn annoying to some people, is because they hit the nail right on the head? ;)

Bippy the Beardless
05-08-2003, 04:53 PM
So Jar
How are you doing?

;)

lel
05-08-2003, 04:54 PM
AAAACck (She runs from teh room with her hair on fire)

Ooh, look! A fire extinguisher lying about a Pit thread, how handy!

mipiace
05-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by lel
Ooh, look! A fire extinguisher lying about a Pit thread, how handy!

Well duh - it's for all the flaming!

AncientHumanoid
05-08-2003, 05:03 PM
How you doin?

FordPrefect
05-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Hamlet
Jarbaby, Sex, Police....

I know I shouldn't, and this would be my first time, but Band Name?!?

mipiace
05-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by NoClueBoy
How you doin?

GASP! Is that a cleverly disguised flirtation? Call the thread police!!!!! AAARRRGH!

LolaCocaCola
05-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks to this thread, I can't get damn Cheap Trick outta my head.

"'Cause they're waiting for me
Looking for me
Every single night
(They're) driving me insane
Those men inside my brain...

:o

Giraffe
05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
On the one hand, I agree with jarbabyj.

On the other hand, damn, girl, you are lookin' fine! Mmmm-MMM! Me so horny!

Heloise
05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Well, personally, I think that if the person who said she wants to have vaginal intercourse with my boyfriend seems to have an issue with the sex threads, she may have a point. :D

mipiace
05-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Heloise
Well, personally, I think that if the person who said she wants to have vaginal intercourse with my boyfriend seems to have an issue with the sex threads, she may have a point. :D

?? Okay ..... do you want to elaborate on that? or will this turn into a TMI?

chula
05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Isn't a person who starts a thread to pit someone for having no life someone who needs to get a life her/himself?

Heloise
05-08-2003, 05:38 PM
The thread. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=98958&highlight=vaginal+intercourse)

mipiace
05-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by chula
Isn't a person who starts a thread to pit someone for having no life someone who needs to get a life her/himself?

YEah I had one on order but it was out of stock. Until then I have to life my life vicariously by criticizing others' stupidity.

Davebear
05-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Can someone just explain, in a clear, calm fashion, exactly what is so offensive about flirting in MPSIMS threads? Because, with one exception that I know of, no one seems to complain about it happening in Pit threads. Yes, it's somewhat different; it's light-hearted and friendly, whereas what I've seen of Pit flirting tends to be caustic and sarcastic. But, it's the same thing.

Do the Pitizens really think they're any less offensive, when they do it, just because no one stomps into their threads and calls them disgusting? Or, is it just okay for them to do it, but not for others?

mipiace
05-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Heloise
The thread. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=98958&highlight=vaginal+intercourse)

Oh got it so jabberjar doesn't mind the sex part as long as it is spelled out in plain and no uncertain terms and in no way includes any innuendo. Got it.

Well this has been fun gang I really enjoyed the prickly convo this afternoon I was feeling very bitchy and wanted to engage.

Sorry to jabybaby - it's really nothing personal you just stepped in when I felt like poking fun at someone. I'd love to continue but my life just came in and i am on my way to a naked twister game so I gotta' jet.

I'll be back tomorrow if anyone wants to complain about me complaining about them complaining....or something like that.

Ciao and don't keep your chastity belt locked down too tight.

hebesphenomegacorona
05-08-2003, 06:36 PM
But it's on fire, too....

lel
05-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Davebear
Can someone just explain, in a clear, calm fashion, exactly what is so offensive about flirting in MPSIMS threads? Because, with one exception that I know of, no one seems to complain about it happening in Pit threads. Yes, it's somewhat different; it's light-hearted and friendly, whereas what I've seen of Pit flirting tends to be caustic and sarcastic. But, it's the same thing.

Do the Pitizens really think they're any less offensive, when they do it, just because no one stomps into their threads and calls them disgusting? Or, is it just okay for them to do it, but not for others?

To me, the objections primarily appear to be to the amount of flirting. It appears that there is much more flirting in MPSIMS than in the Pit as a function of total number of threads in each forum. This is to be expected. However, over time, people come to expect that a certain percentage of threads in MPSIMS and the Pit will be flirt threads. When that percentage is greatly exceeded, people may begin to think there is too much flirting. It appears that that percentage, which is higher in MPSIMS than in the Pit, has been exceeded in MPSIMS, but not in the Pit.

Some people have a higher tolerance for flirting than others. My tolerance for such is fairly low. Oh well, I just have to deal with it. However, once the percentage of flirting exceeds the tolerance of most, it might not be bad to go flirt at other venues. (IM? Email?)

flybynight
05-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by porcupine
Third, I can't really say I blame jarbaby. The number of threads that degenerating into flirt-fests lately make me think it's rutting season as well.
I'm not going to disagree with this at all. However, in the thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182532) that started this particular thread, where the fuck is the flirting everyone is pissed off about? You could name about 10 other threads that have degenerated into silly flirt-fests, but this one? I re-read it again just to make sure, and I still don't know what the fuck people are talking about. Does the subject sound suspicious? Yes, it does - oh, and Davebear posted to it. It must be a flirt-fest. But there isn't anything in that thread that I can construe as flirting, especially compared to some of the other threads around here. If you're going to bitch about it, at least choose one that gives you more ammo. Then we can start having fun.

Primaflora
05-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Davebear

I dislike flirting and cybersex threads intensely. I'm perfectly happy to delete them. I think I read one or two of the threads begun by you but now I know you've got nothing to say which I want to read.

Yes, I am a prude ;). I'm totally fine with people flirting and carrying on in threads which are clearly labelled but dontcha think you're overdoing it in MPSIMS? It's not all about you and your coterie of little cybermates and other people would like to carry on conversations without you lot wandering in there and making sure you think you all are hot and everso sexy.

It's the quantity of rutting threads which gets me. Why don't you all take it to a chatroom or is voyeurism what you enjoy? The thrill of knowing people are reading?

Catfood Purrito
05-08-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't have a problem with flirt threads. Just as long as the flirting stays in the flirt threads.

I'm certainly no prude, but what really annoys me is when a perfectly interesting thread is hijacked by the flirt brigade and you have to wade through their inane spoutings to get to the interesting content.

FranticMad
05-08-2003, 07:28 PM
So people are flirting and want to get laid? Where, where, where!!

Pick me! Pick me!

Primaflora
05-08-2003, 07:43 PM
FranticMad, just join any thread where Davebear, Branwen and whatever RhinosHoney is now calling herself.

Mention whichever sex act you feel you are most proficient at (lie if you feel the need) feel up some virtual boobies and just generally let fly with your libido.

You'll fit right in I'm sure ;).

Honeydew
05-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Jesus get over yourselves already !!!!!! Flirting is a bit of fun.... its not life or death ya know.....

And since when is this thread all about Davebear cos it seems to suddenly have turned on him. There is stuff going on in people real lives that makes it sometimes nice to come in here and have a laugh.

If you want more serious, topical or whatever threads..... then START THEM. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to read... I don't read all the threads because I know some things I'm not interested in. I don't go bitching and whining about it.

Since when did having some fun become such a crime??????

(warning in very pissed off mood anyways so this struck a nerve even more with me).

Bryan Ekers
05-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Shouldn't this be in IMHO?

Primaflora
05-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Having some fun got to be a crime when it impinged on other people's right to have fun I think. If person A and person B come to the SDMB to have a cheerful little exchange about something utterly unrelated to sex and person C and person D wander into the thread and begin cybermasturbating all over the place, there's a problem.

Basically it comes down to courtesy (yeah I know it's hard when the rutting hormones are overtaking any consideration for anyone else's use of the SDMB, but try and stay with me here) starting a thread entitled Watch Me and My Mates Exchange Funny Sex Stuff To No-One But Us is OK but waddling into a thread entitled Funny Duck Calls I have Heard and sexing it up isn't OK.

Michael Ellis
05-08-2003, 08:08 PM
I liked Diane's term:

"I need to get fucked badly and can't so I'll do the next best thing and jizz all over myself with the help of the SDMB"

Miller
05-08-2003, 08:14 PM
On the one hand, I can sympathize with Jarbaby. I don't know how many times I've clicked on a thread title that sounded interesting, only to find yet another incredibly dull and pointless sports thread. There was one a little while back called, "The Quest for the Grail has Begun!" which turned out to be about hockey. Now, as boring, pointless, and embarassingly juvenile as flirt threads may be, they don't hold a candle to hockey. So, I wasn't happy about being "tricked" into reading the thread by the misleading thread title.

On the other hand, I somehow was able to resist bitching at the people in the thread for enjoying a pastime that leaves me cold. See, it turns out that the SDMB isn't actually here just to amuse me, and there'll probably be a lot of stuff about things I don't like. And while complaining about it might endear me to the few other Dopers who are as sports-phobic as I am, for the most part I'll just end up looking like a dick. So when I open a thread that turns out to be about sports, I just shrug and hit the back button, and let those poor deluded sports fans have their poor deluded sports fun.

Exgineer
05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Well, I'm all pissed off because in order to find out what the rant was about I had to click a link to a thread I had seen and decided not to read in the first place.

Then I find out that I should'nt have bothered to open this thread either.

You know how it says on the front page, "Your gateway to some of the smartest people on the net, plus a few dipsticks?"

Evidently, I'm one of the dipsticks.

tiny ham
05-08-2003, 08:23 PM
For the record:

I don't wear a chastity belt...they make my hips look big.

I DO want to have sex with Coldfire, and I enjoy talking and writing about (http://www.firehousex.com) sex immensely.

I have noticed and calmly and without invective mentioned that there are an abnormal amount of threads which are all similar in topic:

i.e. I LIKE TO FUCK DO YOU?

WHO LIKES JIZZ?

DO MEN LIKE PUSSY?

SPIT OR SWALLOW

HAVE YOU FISTED YOUR CAT?

Do a search, we've done it ALL, and I mean ALL before, and I was just noticing that this is a high time in the cycle, and I'm anxious for it to be over with, since it seems to be coinciding with a kind of boring...content free message board as of late.

and like I said twice in that thread (so you don't think I'm policing)

CARRY ON...just wanted to mention ( and I know I'm not the only one) that it's becoming tiresome.

I can only assume the boards would actively burst into flame if kaykay and davebear were existing here together. :)

Jervoise
05-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Can someone just explain, in a clear, calm fashion, exactly what is so offensive about flirting in MPSIMS threads?First off, now that I know enough to avoid the MPSIMS threads in questions. I wouldn't dream of starting a thread complaining about the flirt threads, nor would I interject into one of those love-fests. I try my best to avoid them. I stop reading MPSIMS threads when I see them devolve into a series of flirty one-liners.

But since you asked, frankly, I find flirt threads to be icky. They are embarassing to read in the same way that I'd be embarassed to watch people make clumsy, dorky attempts at flirting in person. I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but the sight of a few people making passes at virtual strangers on a public message board strikes me as somewhat desperate. And when the SAME people crop up in different threads doing the same thing, it becomes creepy.

Perhaps you could take it to IM, or email. Or go outside and flirt in person.

Because, with one exception that I know of, no one seems to complain about it happening in Pit threads.That's because "flirting" in the Pit is usually a sarcastic take on all the flirting in MPSIMS.

Oh, and to repeat the point: I'd never bother making a specific complaint about flirt threads; I can avoid them or stop reading. But you asked why people don't like them.

Primaflora
05-08-2003, 08:52 PM
But jar, tell me did your cat like the fisting?

porcupine
05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
My general rule of thumb has been that if goes past an exchange of more than about two jokey flirts in a MPSIMS or IMHO thread, it's time to take it to email or IM. I wish more people would follow this rule. This is especially true if the content of the post is nothing but a flirt - if there's actual content with a joke-flirt added at the end, then it doesn't count. Also, if it's a joke that no one but the object of the flirt would get, please, for the love of Og, take it to email after a post or two. Dopefest threads excepted in this rule, along with popularity context/flirt-with-me threads, because that's 90% of what those threads are, and everyone knows it.

And jar doesn't have a cat. But I bet her puppers likes being tied up and fisted.

Davebear
05-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks, lel, Miller, and the other reasonable posters. I understand, now. Some of the objectors are self-defined prudes, some are just jaded, and a lot of them, which may include some from the previous two categories, have gotten thoroughly and totally whooshed. I can't help the first two, but here's a clue for the terminally whooshed; we aren't really interested in getting into each other's pants. It's a running joke. And, no, no one really cares whether you find it amusing, or not. Join in, if you want; the more, the merrier. Ignore us, if you want; we don't care.

jarbabyj, thanks for the list. I missed some of those. But, you make a good point, when you say "since it seems to be coinciding with a kind of boring...content free message board as of late." I couldn't agree more. That's why I spend most of my time "flirting" with my friends.

Yes, I do have a group of friends on this board. And, yes, we do spend a lot of time "flirting" with each other. We even have a tendency to hijack the hell out of threads. But, if you notice, it's primarily our own threads. And, the next time an OP asks me to stop flirting in, or hijacking, their thread, that will be the first time. And, I'll stop. I'd probably even stop for a non-OP poster who was participating in the thread, if they asked politely. But, bitching by people who aren't even participating in the thread doesn't mean squat.

As for the perception that I only post in sex-related threads, well, I guess you folks need to read something other than the sex-related threads. I've posted in 585 threads, since the end of December. I'm pretty sure some of them had nothing to do with sex. If you missed those posts, oh, well.

FranticMad
05-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Wow. I just got laid by 3 SDMBers. This flirting thing really works. Give me 5 minutes to rest.

So, who's next?

Primaflora
05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Bwahahaha!

It's a joke is it, Davebear? We all got whooshed? Yeah by a tidal wave of jism emanating from your general direction.

You may wish to consider however, that it's not coming across as a joke but rather as a desperate plea for attention. If you want to be known as Sad Davebear so desperate for sex he needs to cybersex on a messageboard then you're doing fine, just fine.

Miller
05-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Primaflora
You may wish to consider however, that it's not coming across as a joke but rather as a desperate plea for attention. If you want to be known as Sad Davebear so desperate for sex he needs to cybersex on a messageboard then you're doing fine, just fine.

I don't buy this, if only because there is no one on the planet more desperate for sex than me, but I still don't do flirt threads. Could be that some people are just amused by things that you aren't amused by. Doesn't make them worse people, or more pathetic.

I can understand not liking cyber flirting. I just don't understand not liking it to the extent that you don't like it. I think it's making you come across as far more pathetic than Davebear. Or at least meanspririted, but in my book it's more or less the same thing.

Miller
05-09-2003, 12:23 AM
That last post came across much harsher than I meant it to. I don't think you're pathetic or meanspirited, Primaflora, but I think you're being a lot harder on Davebear than is called for. For God's sake, if he really is a pathetic as you paint him to be, is it really necessary to rub his nose in it? That's like mocking the handicapped, or something.

calm kiwi
05-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Surely it just boils down to reading what you want to read. I have read some of the sex threads and had a wee giggle at some of the flirting. But I have looked at thread titles of others and thought "hmmmmmm that will probably be pretty much like the last one. I don't think I will bother".
On the other hand I have read NO threads about LOTR or sci-fi because I know it will bore the tits off me. I also avoid sports threads (though I did post to one about cricket...cause the mood struck not cause I like cricket!).
The thing I love about SDMB is the variety and diversity of posters and posts. It seems there are regular cycles where a lot of the threads will be loosely based around similar topics. If that topic doesn't interest me I stay away for a couple of days and by then there is a whole new cycle starting.

This is no criticism of either JarbabyJ (who happens to be one poster I always keep my eye out for.......and prude is never the impression I got!) or of Davebear et al (who have made me giggle on more then one occasion) just the opinion of a sometimes-but-not-very-often-poster

I think you should ALL carry on :)

Primaflora
05-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Miller, it's OK. I'll let you live. This time.

I'll clarify -- I think cyberflirting which is conducted in public in threads which are not specifically Wank of the Day threads ;) is pathetic. I feel mean spirited when it's dragged into threads that don't need it.

It's One Trick Pony stuff conducted by a tag team of people. It is rude, plain rude to do it. By all means have at it in threads which you have opened for the specific purpose of flirting but don't open several threads per day or indulge yourselves in other threads.

But eh, yeah you're right. If someone's so socially impaired, it's not necessary to rub their nose in it.

flybynight
05-09-2003, 02:01 AM
I feel mean spirited when it's dragged into threads that don't need it.

It's One Trick Pony stuff conducted by a tag team of people. It is rude, plain rude to do it.

But eh, yeah you're right. If someone's so socially impaired, it's not necessary to rub their nose in it.
Ok, even though my name has never been mentioned directly in relation to these threads, I'm well aware of my participation in them. I understand exactly what you are objecting to, however... if you don't mind me asking, can you provide a "cite" of innocent threads which we've rudely infiltrated with our socially mal-adjusted and creepy voyeristic flirting? Or do we not warrant enough respect for you to take time out of your obviously superior life to back up your accusations? If I did indeed take part in significantly hijacking an otherwise perfectly decent thread, then I apologize completely. I don't remember ever doing that, though, which is why I'm asking you for an example.

And by the way, you're right, I am socially impaired. In fact, I'm a 35 year old virgin who lives in his mother's basement and hasn't seen the sun in years. I like Star Trek and Battle Star Gallactica re-runs a lot. I sometimes sleep in my Captain Kirk uniform. It's a real one too, I bought it off e-Bay. Cost me a bundle - one whole year's worth of working at Blockbuster, but it was worth it. I feel powerful and special when I wear it. It eases the pain of my pitful existance. Sometimes, when I'm lying in bed late at night, I wish I was Captain Kirk... Maybe then I wouldn't still be a virgin, and I could actually talk to real women in real life. That would be so nice. I get giddy just thinking about it. Imagine, me saying hi to a real woman? Oh no, I think I feel nauseous. Maybe I should stick with this online flirting thing for now, I'm afraid my stomach is too weak for the real thing. So, anyway Primaflora, how YOU doin'?

Miller
05-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Waitaminute. If flybynight has the real Kirk outfit, what the hell have I been wearing all these years?!

Primaflora
05-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Never mind, Miller, you can wear another nice Star Trek uniform and will be your turn for Kirk next time.

flybynight, if you're so confident you haven't done it, then cheers mate. No worries. I'm not gonna search for threads because my stomach quite frankly is not up to it. While you could be right and I could be wrong, I'm not wading through what I know is out there.

Cisco
05-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Ekers
Shouldn't this be in IMHO?

Goddamnit, I was almost all the way down the first page, I thought I was home free! :p

Davebear
05-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Bwahahaha!

It's a joke is it, Davebear? We all got whooshed? Yeah by a tidal wave of jism emanating from your general direction.

You may wish to consider however, that it's not coming across as a joke but rather as a desperate plea for attention. If you want to be known as Sad Davebear so desperate for sex he needs to cybersex on a messageboard then you're doing fine, just fine. :D I was wrong about you. You can be amusing.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Wow - Do I know how to open up a can of worms! I like the debate here and have found it stimulating and non-sexual. Imagine that!

So it seems the general consensus is that if the sexual deviates want to flirt then post the titles clearly and don't hijack other threads. I don't think there is a damn thing anyone can do about the number of sex-threads...sorry, you'll just have to ignore them and post a higher number of sports and gardening threads to put out do the dregs of the SDMB.

I agree, I don't see many non sex related threads hijacked. They are pretty much TMI threads that get way off topic and turn into a general chatting and joking in a flirtateous manner. Back tot he beginning of the thread...if ya down't like it, don't open it. Any thread I start will be CLEARLY labeled so there is NO confusion.

Maybe you should all go have some vaginal sexual intercourse and be happy.

Velma
05-09-2003, 10:36 AM
I see it like this. I'll compare the flirt and sex thread to Reality TV, because it's something that's trendy right now. I like some reality shows, and I watch them. But damn, there's a lot of reality tv out there right now. I don't have to watch, I can turn off the tv. But sometimes it seems like it's everywhere and I'm just tired of the hype. I watch Good Morning America in the mornings and the last woman to get rejected by the Bachelor is on. It's only for one segment and I could turn it off, but I watch to get to the rest of the show. It's mildly annoying. Sometimes, after this happens a few times, it just gets frustrating and after 10 more reality tv shows start each week I yell, "Enough with the Reality TV Already!" There's lots of other shows on tv, but the Reality shows are hard to miss.

I don't hate all reality tv. Some people do. Some are addicted to all of it. But just the amount of it around lately is enough that it can be annoying to some people, even those who like the occasional reality show.

I like to lurk in informational and educational sex threads sometimes too. I'm not saying it should all go away by any means - but there's the sex threads like "Dateline" and then there's "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire, part XVII."

Does that make any sense?

mipiace
05-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Sure it makes sense but, I haven't seen anyone picketing the television stations or bombing the networks because they are tired of reality TV. You just cuss and fume and flip to another of the 201 stations that are on your TV.

elf6c
05-09-2003, 11:08 AM
You're welcome. Now with that done,

:flashes the thread:

Woo Hoo!

Here's your dollar, keep it coming!

;)

Velma
05-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but here everyone can see the cussing and fuming. I wouldn't worry about it too much. No one wants to "Bomb your TV station."

<obligatory pause so someone can jump in and say they want to bomb your tv station>

It's just getting harder to change the channel and not see it, sp people are commenting.
If you really don't care what people think, then just carry on. Personalities clash here, and people bitch about stuff.

BottledBlondJeanie
05-09-2003, 11:16 AM
So, I guess now would not be the time to post in IMHO a poll regarding whether or not I should get my boobs lifted, complete with pictures hmmm?

No, I'm serious.

elf6c
05-09-2003, 11:16 AM
On a more serious matter- accurate thread titles in the "subject" box: learn it, use it, live it. That will help alot.

Also hijacking someone's thread for a pathetic attempt at a circle-jerk is uncouth. Please open a new thread (with a link to it in the old one) to get your freak on. Live out all your perverted fantasies there. Just leave the normals alone, mmkay?

BTW: please think of the kittens before you log on.

Velma
05-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by elf6c
Woo Hoo!

Here's your dollar, keep it coming!

;)

Sorry, only one time per thread. :D

elf6c
05-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by BottledBlondJeanie
So, I guess now would not be the time to post in IMHO a poll regarding whether or not I should get my boobs lifted, complete with pictures hmmm?

No, I'm serious.

If you are serious you may want to email a Mod first to get the best and safest way of doing this thread. IMHO, if you can afford it, and it will make you happy-- lift away!

:)

Velma
05-09-2003, 11:22 AM
BottledBlondeJeanie, I wouldn't object to that kind of thread, as it could lead to an interesting discussion on plastic surgery, etc. and could be informative, and useful for you if you want opinions. Actually that's a good example of a thread that could go either way - it could be a real discussion or it could become a "show us more pictures of your boobies...mmmm....boobies, here I need a closer look" kind of thing. I would probably open a thread like that and read it if it didn't become the latter.

BottledBlondJeanie
05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Trust me elf6c I know all about posting links to nekkid stuff. I think as a newb I threatened to pit Coldfire about it. LOL I haven't quite figured out what to do...maybe blur the nips...but I'll get permission first. :)

flybynight
05-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Miller
Waitaminute. If flybynight has the real Kirk outfit, what the hell have I been wearing all these years?!
That's a good quesiton. But it isn't like there's just one. Did yours come with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by William Shatner himself? Mine did. If yours didn't, I think you got screwed.

And Primaflora, can non-aussies say "cheers mate" and get away with it? I just like the way it sounds. It kinda takes the thunder away from wanting to cyber-argue with you, even though you seem like a fun person to cyber-argue with. However, I'm still disappointed that everyone's accusing us of things and providing no examples. But then again, I'm sure as hell not going to waste the time to try to find anything either, so I know where you're coming from. But if someone does, then hell, I owe y'all an apology. I'm not an entirely immature jackass, afterall, I just play one on the internet.

And did someone say something about boobies? Mmm... boobies. Sorry Velma, I just couldn't resist. I'm trying to become a more mature person, though, I swear. And I will never post circle-jerk drivel things in normal threads again. I promise.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Hey Flyby night. I am with you. It's easy to make accusations without any evidence, as a matter of fact i COULD accuse anyone who does not participate in Spit & Swallow of being a Space Alien but then I have no proof of that either......sure you can say Cheers, as a matter of fact, I t hink you can say pretty much anythig you damned well please....isnt' that the point of this whole stupid thread?

Ciao Bello!
Tu amica - Mipiace (and I am not a REAL Italian, I just play one on TV)

Velma
05-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by flybynight

And did someone say something about boobies? Mmm... boobies. Sorry Velma, I just couldn't resist. I'm trying to become a more mature person, though, I swear. And I will never post circle-jerk drivel things in normal threads again. I promise.

Hey, don't mature on my account. I'm starting to feel like I'm coming across as the stern librarian, shaking my fist at those disruptive kids. That's not how I am, I swear. I'm just throwing popcorn at the tv.

< insert obligatory reference to fantasy about stern librarians here>

xcheopis
05-09-2003, 12:44 PM
You just cuss and fume and flip to another of the 201 stations that are on your TV.
You mean "another one of the ten stations on your TV, two of which are in foreign languages you don't speak, one of which runs the local community college programs, and another doesn't really come in all that well."

sperfur
05-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Yes, I do have a group of friends on this board. And, yes, we do spend a lot of time "flirting" with each other. We even have a tendency to hijack the hell out of threads...But, bitching by people who aren't even participating in the thread doesn't mean squat.
I agree with Davebear. When people flirt in threads, they are flirting with their friends. Its fun.

The last time I flirted in a thread, neither one of us had any intention of getting in each other's pants. We were playing (and having a darn good time). It had nothing to do with desperation - it was a game. Fun for those participating - not so fun for those who weren't.

Oh, and Miller? You are such a hunk...:D

mipiace
05-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but here everyone can see the cussing and fuming. I wouldn't worry about it too much. No one wants to "Bomb your TV station."

<obligatory pause so someone can jump in and say they want to bomb your tv station>

It's just getting harder to change the channel and not see it, sp people are commenting.
If you really don't care what people think, then just carry on. Personalities clash here, and people bitch about stuff.

Apparently you weren't able to comprehend the metaphor. You can choose another TV station = you can choose another thread.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 01:02 PM
On a more serious matter- accurate thread titles in the "subject" box: learn it, use it, live it. That will help alot.

Also hijacking someone's thread for a pathetic attempt at a circle-jerk is uncouth. Please open a new thread (with a link to it in the old one) to get your freak on. Live out all your perverted fantasies there. Just leave the normals alone, mmkay?

BTW: please think of the kittens before you log on.

Now we are back to this....no one can quite quote any thread that has been hijacked. And these are the threads i remember being rampantly TMI

Spit or Swallow
Sexual Souvenirs
How to please a man
Vaginal Oder and Oral sex (Could be TMI)

How is any one of those not OBVIOUSLY a sexual subject matter? How is that 1/3 of the message board? I think people get annoyed because they are around for a long time, because people respond to them.....jeez, and yes you do sound like the old fuddy duddy shouting to the teenagers in the garage next door.

Yes the flirtations have nothing to do with getting laid. I do that nicely on my own and without the help of my computer. I just flirt for the hell of it. It's fun, not meant to offend anyone and I certainly wouldn't post that I wanted to have intercourse with anyone unless I was actually dating them. A lot of people seem to be making a lot of false assumptions.

Hamadryad
05-09-2003, 01:10 PM
I think the issue is that when people turn on "Wild Kingdom" they expect Marlon Perkins, not Pamela Anderson.

And it sucks to have to watch 10 minutes of the show to figure out which it's going to be.

Also, as I've said before (like anyone gives a shit), my PERSONAL opinion? I'll never understand why people run around a place populated by people of higher-than-average intellect just to fling their hormones willy-nilly. I fully understand that no one here particularly wants, nor needs, my respect. However - if you participate in 100 out of 400 informational threads, but 30 out of 32 flirt threads, you're going to be thought of as a featherhead flirt. It's all about proportion.

If you want to flirt until your palms - errrr, hands bleed, be my guest. Just label the goddamned useless threads clearly and keep them the fuck off of the stations I want to watch.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Hamadryad
I think the issue is that when people turn on "Wild Kingdom" they expect Marlon Perkins, not Pamela Anderson.

And it sucks to have to watch 10 minutes of the show to figure out which it's going to be.

Also, as I've said before (like anyone gives a shit), my PERSONAL opinion? I'll never understand why people run around a place populated by people of higher-than-average intellect just to fling their hormones willy-nilly. I fully understand that no one here particularly wants, nor needs, my respect. However - if you participate in 100 out of 400 informational threads, but 30 out of 32 flirt threads, you're going to be thought of as a featherhead flirt. It's all about proportion.

If you want to flirt until your palms - errrr, hands bleed, be my guest. Just label the goddamned useless threads clearly and keep them the fuck off of the stations I want to watch.

Okay here is your fucking clue, anything that suggest oral sex, vaginal odor, or has sex in the title probably will not be about fucking Marlon Perkins. Funny, if this place is populated by people with higher than average intellegence why the fuck is it they all seem to be lacking in their fucking vocabulary so much that they have to fucking use the goddamned fucking fuck word?

BTW - I am much mroe offended by using the word god damned than anything you could say sexually. I'm thinking there are more people like me.

People of higher intellegence should be able to read a thread title (you'd think!)

mipiace
05-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Oh and PS - I never cared what people thought if I was a fluff or not. I am usually smarter than most of them so it never mattered. I do respond to a larger proportion of nonn sex threads than the sex related ones bercause there are more of them (Contrary to popular bitching). It's just the sex threads that get the attention.

(sniff) I am going to go cry! hamadralop thinks I am a god damned fucking fluff

Hamadryad
05-09-2003, 01:37 PM
*pat pat*

Whatever you need to believe, dear.

Diane
05-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Oh Jeeeeeeeezus, can we just take up a collection and buy some hooker servicing and dildos for the Circle Jerk Gang already?

DaveBear, if you were referring to the Pit thread that turned into a big pile of naked, schweddy, bods, it was a sarcastic attempt to show just how annoying and pathetic those types of threads can be.

I certainly understand that I have no authority to ban flirt threads, but I certainly have a right to bitch about them just as you have a right to bitch about my bitching, and so on. . . . It just goes around and around.

However, at the end of the day, you may think I am a :::cough::: prude :::cough:::: (oh the stories I could tell to prove you wrong) or that I just enjoy throwing cold water on the hump-fest. That we should all just wade through the growing pile of tossed panties and bottles of Jerk-in lotion, close the thread and pretend it isnít annoying.

But at the end of my day, my impression of those people are that they are desperate and pathetic individuals who have some sad bizarre need to log onto the SDMB and masturbate themselves into a hot frenzy in front of all these strangers and I truly feel embarrassed for them. Maybe I am off base with my assumptions, but it is still an impression you are sending off to a few of us. If you donít care, groovy, keep doing it and I will keep thinking it.

I agree with Davebear. When people flirt in threads, they are flirting with their friends. Its fun

Here is where I get confused. Is it fun to flirt or is it fun to wack off to a crowd? If it is the former, why not take it to e-mail or LJ, it is the second, donít expect that your entire audience thinks it is a "fun" as you do.

I am usually smarter than most of them so it never mattered.

This says a lot about the crowds you hang with. WOW.

ultress
05-09-2003, 02:10 PM
I say let them flirt. It's not like there are 50 million other places on the net they can do that, NO, it must be here, it has to be here, there's just no other place like here. The only friends they can find to flirt with are here. Would you deny them that one pleasure in life? What a bunch of hard-nosed prudes that have too much life and too much intelligence. When did you people stop leaving your brain at the hat-check counter so you could come in and post on the one and only flirt place on the internet?
So the major point is, when you participate over and over and over again in sex and flirt threads, don't be upset, surprised, or totally dense when most other Dopers don't read your posts, think you are airheads, and basically avoid you in most situations. When you have to literally point out to other Dopers that sex threads aren't the only threads you post to...duh...why would you have to do that? Think about that a second. Does it sink in at all? No one takes you serious or reads any of your posts at all, well, because sex has been your main theme. And if you don't really care what others think, then why don't you just take it off the board and go to one of the messengers or e-mail instead of plastering it all over a public messageboard.
It doesn't really matter how you label it, what excuses you use, it's still pathetic that you have to use the internet to flirt and have sex. And on a messageboard is even more pathetic. You know the saying though, birds of a feather flock together. So congrats on all your newfound friends. Wonder if you would be friends in real life?

Waverly
05-09-2003, 02:12 PM
I am usually smarter than most of them so it never mattered. Well. Why didnít you just tell us we were in presence of our intellectual superior? This changes everything.

istara
05-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Hamadryad
I give a shit, and I agree with every single word.

Esprix
05-09-2003, 02:29 PM
{looks around}

Yup, public message board. Public.

Learn what I learned a long time ago: If you post it, they will respond.

Esprix

mipiace
05-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ultress
I say let them flirt. It's not like there are 50 million other places on the net they can do that, NO, it must be here, it has to be here, there's just no other place like here. The only friends they can find to flirt with are here. Would you deny them that one pleasure in life? What a bunch of hard-nosed prudes that have too much life and too much intelligence. When did you people stop leaving your brain at the hat-check counter so you could come in and post on the one and only flirt place on the internet?
So the major point is, when you participate over and over and over again in sex and flirt threads, don't be upset, surprised, or totally dense when most other Dopers don't read your posts, think you are airheads, and basically avoid you in most situations. When you have to literally point out to other Dopers that sex threads aren't the only threads you post to...duh...why would you have to do that? Think about that a second. Does it sink in at all? No one takes you serious or reads any of your posts at all, well, because sex has been your main theme. And if you don't really care what others think, then why don't you just take it off the board and go to one of the messengers or e-mail instead of plastering it all over a public messageboard.
It doesn't really matter how you label it, what excuses you use, it's still pathetic that you have to use the internet to flirt and have sex. And on a messageboard is even more pathetic. You know the saying though, birds of a feather flock together. So congrats on all your newfound friends. Wonder if you would be friends in real life?

Did I need for you to read my threads? You read this one and I didn't ask. I replied that I post to other stuff because mumbly-peg had insinuated that I didn't.

Hamadryad
05-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Before anyone can bother....jarbabyj, Diane, ultress and uhm, I are all prudes who don't want anyone to have any fun, we're just acting out our own patheticness at never getting laid, we're all frigid, blah blah blah, yatta, whatever.

Oh yeah, and..."We can flirt if we want!" And I can rain on your parade. "So don't read our posts!" Same to you, dear.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Esprix
{looks around}

Yup, public message board. Public.

Learn what I learned a long time ago: If you post it, they will respond.

Esprix

:-D I know, that's why I love throwing gasoline on the fire....some people get soooo involved.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Waverly
Well. Why didnít you just tell us we were in presence of our intellectual superior? This changes everything.

Thanks for finally seeing my point. At least you have a sense of humor and can appreciate sarcasm without having to use profanity to describe how you feel

mipiace
05-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Diane
Oh Jeeeeeeeezus, can we just take up a collection and buy some hooker servicing and dildos for the Circle Jerk Gang already?

DaveBear, if you were referring to the Pit thread that turned into a big pile of naked, schweddy, bods, it was a sarcastic attempt to show just how annoying and pathetic those types of threads can be.

I certainly understand that I have no authority to ban flirt threads, but I certainly have a right to bitch about them just as you have a right to bitch about my bitching, and so on. . . . It just goes around and around.

However, at the end of the day, you may think I am a :::cough::: prude :::cough:::: (oh the stories I could tell to prove you wrong) or that I just enjoy throwing cold water on the hump-fest. That we should all just wade through the growing pile of tossed panties and bottles of Jerk-in lotion, close the thread and pretend it isnít annoying.

But at the end of my day, my impression of those people are that they are desperate and pathetic individuals who have some sad bizarre need to log onto the SDMB and masturbate themselves into a hot frenzy in front of all these strangers and I truly feel embarrassed for them. Maybe I am off base with my assumptions, but it is still an impression you are sending off to a few of us. If you donít care, groovy, keep doing it and I will keep thinking it.

Here is where I get confused. Is it fun to flirt or is it fun to wack off to a crowd? If it is the former, why not take it to e-mail or LJ, it is the second, donít expect that your entire audience thinks it is a "fun" as you do.

This says a lot about the crowds you hang with. WOW.

Glad you got that stick out of your ass Diane but maybe it got there from masturbating while you read the sex threads. (You actually MASTURBATE from flirting?) And you are telling ME to get a life.

Did I imply that I thought you would think it fun? I don't remember considering that.

Diane
05-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I know, that's why I love throwing gasoline on the fire

I wouldn't say that too loud. :dubious:

but maybe it got there from masturbating while you read the sex threads.

The creepiness factor of those threads alone dries me up like the Sahara Desert. I don't think I could have gotten that stick up my ass let alone anyplace else.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 02:54 PM
It's okay honey I won't tell anyone.....

And if I want to express my opinion knowing it is going to get you all spun up, isn't that the point of the pit? So that I don't break into your gardening thread with some smarmy remark? I do enjoy a good argument. Should I hide that along with my flirtation? My sexual orientation? My religion?

Yeah free speech at it's best right here with all those intelligent people....just don't say anything we don't want you to.

elf6c
05-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Well. Why didnít you just tell us we were in presence of our intellectual superior? This changes everything.

She hides it well too. How modest of her.

:rolleyes:

ultress
05-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Did I need for you to read my threads? You read this one and I didn't ask. I replied that I post to other stuff because mumbly-peg had insinuated that I didn't.

OMG, I am so sorry. I apologize on bended knees. I am just so dense. How could I be so stupid. IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU! How could I miss that.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 03:04 PM
You hide it well to. If you make a comment about me, I might make one back....it isn't all about me but if you want to talk about me, we can. Do you prefer we talk about you?

So what's your favorite color?

Velma
05-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Apparently you weren't able to comprehend the metaphor. You can choose another TV station = you can choose another thread.

I was unable to comprehend my own metaphor? Wow, I must be stupid. :smack:

The point was, I am changing the channel and I'm finding the same crap all over the place, even on shows that I don't expect it, ok? After it happens a few times I notice it more, and get annoyed.

I was trying to be rather lighthearted about all this, because I don't think it's the end of the world. But your posts are starting to get condescending. Look, people have told you they find this trend annoying. If you don't care, then keep doing it. But then others have the right to bitch about it too.

faithfool
05-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Gee, even as a newbie I can see both sides of this fence.

On the one hand, I can appreciate and acknowledge "flirt" threads for what they are. Even sexually themed threads that seem to degenerate to nothing but flirting. If I'm interested in the subject matter, I'll read to the point where the fun begins and then I'll click off that and on to some other topic. If that's all the thread is, I usually tend to ignore them.

However, I have upon occasion or two, participated with friends on various boards in this kind of thing. I don't think (hope) that it ever went overboard, but I'm sure that someone, somewhere, didn't like it or think that the exclusivity of it was appropriate or the content pertinent. Unfortunately though, IME (albeit limited), either the participants didn't realize/care, thought it was harmless or enjoyed the fact that others might want to join in, seem envious (like "ooooh, see how popular they all are!") or only wish they could belong, perhaps like some involved had felt in the past. The times this has happened to me, I belonged in the clueless category as it was essentially my first MB and I never thought for a minute that other folks could be disgusted, annoyed or assumed less of our characters. So, maybe in all of the above, there might be something that applies here.

Now, as to where I am now..... I'm always grateful, as previously mentioned, on adequately titled threads. That helps tons. I have read some of the postings in question and I don't ever recall anyone hijacking a thread that *wasn't* about sexish things already. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But, as the target of the OP felt, jarbabyj and others do have the right to be tired of the sheer poliferation of them. Or at the small amount of "ewww, not again" one might encounter when inadverdently opening up something to read that may be like that when you thought otherwise or going along and hitting that midway through. Kind of throws you off your pace.

So, I guess my take is more "cutting of slack" all way 'round. You know, as previously suggested, more accurate titles. More skipping it if'n ya ain't interested. And less assumptions from both camps because I don't think many people here are prudes -or- desperate. Although I suppose I could be wrong and all insults are necessary. Or is that just a pit requirement?

Signing off on my armchair psychology.

You may now return to flashing and moaning with impugnity.

Waverly
05-09-2003, 03:16 PM
At least you have a sense of humor and can appreciate sarcasm without having to use profanity to describe how you feel The fuck I don't!

Velma
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Uh, oh, now I see we have descended into the It's free speech and you cannot silence me territory.

Say what you want. Others will form opinions about you.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I know and I don't care and no one is really saying anything different....(sigh)

I did like you, you were intelligent and cool about it. But reality TV is the same, it's everywhere and you can't avoid it so you end up taking a walk but I honestly (without silly sarcasm and inflammatory bullshit) see at least 90% of the threads that don't have anything like this and the ones I do see are clearly labeled. That is what I was saying and I wasn't pulling up a lawn chair since i am obviously actively involved in my own debate but no one seems to be really making valid points other than "we are tired of it" okay, got that......but the exaggeration that every thread or most threads are rampant with mass masturbation parties is pretty ridiculous. I was being condescending. Actually bI was just being purposely irritating hoping SOMEONE would come up with something new but...they didn't. Of course we can all agree to disagree but I don't think it was ever portrayed in a realistic light.

Take it easy Velma, stay coherent and like everyone has warned me --- BE CAREFUL WHO YOU HANG AROUND WITH.....I think its contagious.

tiny ham
05-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Just to clear it up, who is mumbley-peg? hama? Me? Diane? Ultress?

It doesn't correspond with any of our names.

Miapiace: here's my final thought:

Please feel free to sit in the corner and flick your clit over how fucking sexy and open and wonderful and smart you are until your very fingers are glazed and numb from jacking off next to Davebear...

But don't be surprised DON'T be surprised when you decided to post a thread about something you really care about (legislation, gardening, religion, your upcoming graduation from highschool) and someone comes in and says :

Rowwwwrrrr how YOU doin? ;) ;) ;)

It happens. And when you get a rep, it's hard to change it. That's all i'm saying.

Diane
05-09-2003, 03:48 PM
And if I want to express my opinion knowing it is going to get you all spun up, isn't that the point of the pit?

Well Brains, if you wanna make comments that sounds like a confession to borderline trolling, be my guest.

hardygrrl
05-09-2003, 03:53 PM

No, I'm serious.

And next thread will be "Are My Labia Even?" complete with pictures.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Well Brains, if you wanna make comments that sounds like a confession to borderline trolling, be my guest.

Borderline trolling? What is the point of a pit if you have to all agree and play nice. I ran with scissors in kindergarten too.

I didn't ppost this just to piss you off, I did post it because I think a lot of people are busy body prudes....if that pisses you off, it must be because of the stick

Esprix
05-09-2003, 03:59 PM

:-D I know, that's why I love throwing gasoline on the fire....some people get soooo involved.

Troll much?

Buh-bye!

Esprix

Diane
05-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Borderline trolling?

Uh, no not at all. :rolleyes:

mipiace
05-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Troll much?

Buh-bye!

Esprix

Yeah? And? I do that with sex threads too and just about everything else. If you have a point, I have a counter point or an addition and I tend to take just about everything in the road less traveled. I like it that way.

No I wasn't trolling. Sorry if it came off like that, I reported myself to the moderator and she can duly punish me if she sees fit.

So....you can say stuff about me but if I say anything back, it can't make you mad....right? I'll be more careful for the SUTA crowd.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Troll much?

Buh-bye!

Esprix

Yeah? And? I do that with sex threads too and just about everything else. If you have a point, I have a counter point or an addition and I tend to take just about everything in the road less traveled. I like it that way.

No I wasn't trolling. Sorry if it came off like that, I reported myself to the moderator and she can duly punish me if she sees fit.

So....you can say stuff about me but if I say anything back, it can't make you mad....right? I'll be more careful for the SUTA crowd.

Diane
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
If you have a point, I have a counter point or an addition and I tend to take just about everything in the road less traveled. I like it that way.

Whoa, aren't you living on the cutting edge of rebellion.

ultress
05-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Well friends and neighbors it's obvious that this is a lost cause from the beginning. We know from experience in this thread who is gonna get the last word. So let the child have her way, let her post the last post and let this sucker die out. She'll cut her own throat quick enough. If you can't run with the big dogs, just stay on the porch. She just don't cut it in the Pit. Buh-bye.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 04:38 PM
You guys should thank me. Have you noticed the lack of sex threads in IMHO?

BottledBlondJeanie
05-09-2003, 05:01 PM
byHardygrrl

And next thread will be "Are My Labia Even?" complete with pictures

This from the girl who calls herself an "angelic sexpot"?

Honey, I've been through this with you before...I enjoy being a sexy blond sex kitten attention whore on this board. It's something I can't do in real life...

And what I really enjoy is being able to do it around smart folks like y'all.

But Hardy it's not like I can go around asking my coworkers if I need a boob lift. And as far as friends' opinions they've all weighed in...and how the hell can you expect them to tell me the girls need to be uplifted. So, yes, it's a damn serious question.

Velma
05-09-2003, 05:04 PM
I was being condescending. Actually bI was just being purposely irritating hoping SOMEONE would come up with something new but...they didn't. Of course we can all agree to disagree but I don't think it was ever portrayed in a realistic light.

Take it easy Velma, stay coherent and like everyone has warned me --- BE CAREFUL WHO YOU HANG AROUND WITH.....I think its contagious.

If you want people to see your side of things being irritating is not a good way to do it. Just sayin'.

Also, I'm not sure who you're warning me to stay away from, but I have been responding to your posts in this thread and your tone. I am capable of forming my own opinions.

All in all, I'm not too worried about who I hang out with here, they don't have me completely brainwashed. Yet.

must...resist...hive...mind...

mipiace
05-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Honey, I've been through this with you before...I enjoy being a sexy blond sex kitten attention whore on this board. It's something I can't do in real life...

But Hardy it's not like I can go around asking my coworkers if I need a boob lift. And as far as friends' opinions they've all weighed in...and how the hell can you expect them to tell me the girls need to be uplifted. So, yes, it's a damn serious question.

You know I think you should be able to ask that question and any other you want. You go girl. Ask away.

mipiace
05-09-2003, 05:40 PM
If you want people to see your side of things being irritating is not a good way to do it. Just sayin'.

Also, I'm not sure who you're warning me to stay away from, but I have been responding to your posts in this thread and your tone. I am capable of forming my own opinions.

All in all, I'm not too worried about who I hang out with here, they don't have me completely brainwashed. Yet.

must...resist...hive...mind...

Do you really think they'd listen to reasoning? I have heard the same things with a lot of profanity for two days. And it isn't even what I started out complaining about. I thoght complaioning in one of those threads was a hijack when if you don't want to read it, then MYOB, then we ended up debating on whether the tthreads had any business being there to begin with. I tend to be a firm believer in everybody being able to say whatever - even busting into a thread and policing, but they should be able to handle the criticism they get back because doing so is impolite. I've ben impolite right back and that is probably immature, at least I can admit it. BUt I'd never be hypocritical and I kind of see a lot of that going on here. I know I am the least popular person in the pit right now and.....well you know I don't care.....I rather relish it. So now Iam a troll.....not true but I am not going to run from a contraversy. Then I would be a hypocrite.

I haven't had a probloem with people talking about jerk fests.....it amazes me, as sexually as I think, I never ever thought anyone would be masturbating over those threads...it's all pretty adolescent play in my mind but then...you never know what will put a stick up someone's...okay wait, I'm being bitchy again.

At least I know I am what I am. I dont' post that I want to sleep with some guy I never met and then call someone else skeevy.

cichlidiot
05-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Here's what I have a problem with. Going into just about any chat room, I'll more often than not run into something along the lines of:

chatter1:a/s/l?
chatter2:ne1 wanna chat?
/action chatter3 stretches then curls up in chatter7's lap
chatter4:whut's up chatter1?
chatter1: tee hee, nothing chatter4 just hangin' out wif mah lonesome
chatter4: that's a cute giggle chatter1, I bet it matches the rest of you
chatter1:<ggl>
chatter22: ****prances into room, waves at chatter 14 brushing up against him as she passes by****
chatter14: sproink! (((((((chatter22)))))
chatter22: ((((chatter14)))))****

room degenerates into discussion of dick size, tit size, rubbings, and purrings.... the dance of the seemingly desperate.

Where do I rarely see this happen, out of the numerous chats, on-line games, and newsgroups available? Right here at the SDMB. Sure, I could find a thread fairly easily with something similar, but it usually falls off the page, no harm no foul. Now it's starting to appear in less expected threads, and on top of it, someone is complaining about being called on their less than inventive flirt-fest.

I don't know Jar and have never even chatted with her on or off the boards, but I will say that she's one of the last posters that would come to my mind matching the word, prude. Same with Hama and Diane. My thinking is, you'd be aware of that same thing, if you spent more time reading the boards.

Maybe if you take a good look, you would realize many other people besides yourself could possibly be sexual creatures, too. I didn't respond in the Spit or Swallow thread, and wasn't bothered by it. I read a bit of it, and lost interest. Does that mean I didn't suck my SO's dick every night last week? Nope. Does that make me a prude? I doubt it. For me it means the SDMB is special, in that it's not the typical board or chat room. I don't plan on wasting my time here watching people masturbate all over threads, when I could just get an AOL account and watch the same tripe roll down my screen for hours. My best guess is, most of us have seen this before, it's nothing new, we open the threads and quickly close the threads not clearly labelled when we realize it's another AOL chat room.

My best advice to you, if you still don't get it, is to do a search on Kaykay and then go ahead and do one on that prude Diane.

Guinastasia
05-09-2003, 07:25 PM
I guess I'm one of those who should get a life then.

I LIKE flirt threads. They're fun, especially as I'm rather shy in real life, and flirting with total strangers isn't something I feel comfortable with. (Friends and people I know, YES)

hardygrrl
05-09-2003, 08:02 PM

It's a nickname - just like the rest of my sig. I'm multifaceted. :p

After all, the point of the boards is two fold - fighting ignorance and giving ego boosts/blowjobs to people who desperately need them yet can't get them any way but virtually.

I don't know - wear a bra? Visit a plastic surgeon? Or offer to post pictures of your hootage so you can hear people tell you how sexy you are?

When I first started on the boards, I was knee deep in the flirt crap too. Then I realized that people thought that's all I was good for. I'd rather be IMed saying"hey, there's a credit card question in GQ" than "so how YOU doing?". I'd rather be known for my brains and wit - not the fact I'll flirt with anything with a pulse and do anything for attention. YMMV.

Waverly
05-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by hardygrrl
After all, the point of the boards is two fold - fighting ignorance and giving ego boosts/blowjobs to people who desperately need them yet can't get them any way but virtually. As noble as fighting ignorance is, how many people would be left if every post was anonymous? It may not be the purpose of the board, but even the best and brightest of us here enjoy the attention. And no, that isnít some indicator that we are lacking in real life.

All I remember of you is some sort of Ďstinky pawsí nonsense and ensuing flame fests. This type of sermonizing just seems odd considering the source.

Diane
05-09-2003, 08:21 PM

As a neutral party, may I just ask why you need to get the opinions of others to make a decision as personal as a boob lift? Holy shit, you either want them or you don't and I would suggest that you don't until you are doing it for youself as opposed to popular opinion.

Honeydew
05-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by ultress
So the major point is, when you participate over and over and over again in sex and flirt threads, don't be upset, surprised, or totally dense when most other Dopers don't read your posts, think you are airheads, and basically avoid you in most situations.
I wonder when talking about sex became such a revolting thing.

My motto is "to each his own". If you wanna talk about politics or how to trim your cats nails or does your breathe stink, sure I can choose to read or not. Free choice. Wonderful thing. Wouldn't it be great of some of you could remember that :rolleyes:

Diane
05-09-2003, 08:37 PM
To each is own indeed, but just as you have the right to debate my politics, tell me I am clipping my cats nails incorrectly, or voicing your disgust at my stinky breath, we have the right to voice our opinions about the circle jerk going on upon the SDMB stage.

See how that works? Wonderful thing. Wouldn't it be great if you could remember that. :rolleyes:

hardygrrl
05-09-2003, 08:42 PM
As noble as fighting ignorance is, how many people would be left if every post was anonymous? It may not be the purpose of the board, but even the best and brightest of us here enjoy the attention. And no, that isnít some indicator that we are lacking in real life.

All I remember of you is some sort of Ďstinky pawsí nonsense and ensuing flame fests. This type of sermonizing just seems odd considering the source.

A mistake I learned from. See, I'd rather get attention for being intelligent and/or funny, not being a complete dumbass attention whore. We all like attention - it's just how you get it.

As has been posted previously by myself and jarbaby, once you get a reputation as a fluffy/flirty person, it's hard to shed. Obviously, based on your comment.

kung fu lola
05-10-2003, 10:56 AM
hardygrrrl, we are all multifaceted, just like you.

Everyone else: There are a lot of personal attacks in this thread. And people are acting very judgemental. I don't understand why everyone is getting so hysterical. Is this really that important? Because if keeping an internet messageboard lily-white is so important to you, that you insult people that you have agreed to "not be a jerk" to, then flirt threads are the least of your problems.

Waverly
05-10-2003, 11:41 AM
lola,
Just my objective opinion: this thread is based on one negative comment about the pervasive flirting. If I had to guess, it is the pervasiveness that annoys, not just the presence of a flirt or two. All things in moderation. Personally, Iíd neither want to be a teetotaler nor a drunk.

If the flirts want to be free to do their thing; that same right would extend to people who are critical of the behavior. It goes both ways.

hardy,
Maybe I came across too strong. Iíll look for the funny, intelligent hardy and try to forget about the attention whore. But... you may not want to be too quick to jump on someone else.

Cosmetic surgery is a personal decision, but one that can be difficult to make. I don't see the harm in wanting objective opinions.

elf6c
05-10-2003, 02:17 PM
You hide it well to. If you make a comment about me, I might make one back....it isn't all about me but if you want to talk about me, we can. Do you prefer we talk about you?

So what's your favorite color?

That is more of a question, then a comment or discussion. But, I digress:

Black.

What is your favorite soup?

Stephi
05-10-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't like the flirt threads either. The stench of desperation pervades the entire thread. I honestly don't know why anyone would flirt with someone they barely know. It also seems pertty darn creepy to me.

But by all means, feel free to post in these kinds of threads, but don't be surprised if people think you're all pathetic attention whores.

sperfur
05-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Stephi
But by all means, feel free to post in these kinds of threads, but don't be surprised if people think you're all pathetic attention whores.
Have you ever told anyone to be themselves and not care what other people think?

Has anyone ever tried to guilt you into being someone you aren't because 'people will think...'?

On a board filled with such intelligent, friendly people, I've been amazed at how many posters I once respected and admired have resorted to 'don't be suprised if people think...' as their bottom line argument in this discussion. You are free to agree or disagree with me, but if you stop being who you to get 'people' to approve of you, you're the one that's pathetic.

mipiace
05-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by sperfur
Have you ever told anyone to be themselves and not care what other people think?

Has anyone ever tried to guilt you into being someone you aren't because 'people will think...'?

On a board filled with such intelligent, friendly people, I've been amazed at how many posters I once respected and admired have resorted to 'don't be suprised if people think...' as their bottom line argument in this discussion. You are free to agree or disagree with me, but if you stop being who you to get 'people' to approve of you, you're the one that's pathetic.

You know that is probably the most intellegent comment I've heard in this whole thread. We all (myself inclided) sound like a bunch of silly old hens. If you don't like me, oh well Iam not going to lose sleep over it. If you bust into a thread and make rude comments, people are probably going to be rude right back but I am not going to change who I am over what a bunch of strangers think. Just be yourself.

My favorite soup is New England Clam Chower. What's your favorite desert?

elf6c
05-12-2003, 11:52 AM
We all (myself inclided) sound like a bunch of silly old hens.

A bit of a broad brush statement. All X are Y statements hardly are ever correct. For instance, in this thread, I sound more like an angry teen-aged platpus.

My favorite soup is New England Clam Chower. What's your favorite desert?

Cheesecake with fresh raspberries.

Someone decides they will give you a brand new car, for free. No strings. What do you get?

Stephi
05-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by sperfur

Do you run around with your fly open, with your dick hanging out of your trousers? Of course you don't! Because you do care about what other people think.

If you really didn't care what other people thought of you, you'd do all sorts of stuff. But you don't. (Or I hope you don't!) Because...well, I'm not too sure why...someone smarter than I would have to explain that.

To me, those threads are like walking around with your fly open! I just want to pop in and say "Yes, your dick is very big, now could you please put it back in your pants now. Thanks."

Please, go right ahead and post those kinds of threads. It's no skin off my teeth. But could you at least label them as "sex thread" or "flirt thread" or "look at my dick thread"? Everyone's entitled to their opinion. And I'm free to say to myself "attention whore" and roll my eyes, just as you're free to think "pathetic syncophant" and roll your eyes at me. But a lot of people feel the same way I do.

And anyways, if you really didn't care about what I thought, you wouldn't have responded to my post. And if no one else cared, this thread wouldn't be three pages long. :)

mipiace
05-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Tough choice....I think a Porsche Boxter..but if they weren't springing for teh extravagant line, I really like those little Mini-Coopers.......I was going to buy one but (sigh) the family car died and I had to buy a new SUV instead.

If you could have an all expense paid vacation for 1 week to anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Oh and PS...I don't have a dick but if I did, I don't think that is why I wouldn't hang it out of my pants, although I do support nudity as a practice as well.

Stephi
05-12-2003, 01:43 PM
OK, let's use a metaphor more suited for a woman. Let's use walking around topless. It's legal. (Well, it is here in Ontario. Your local laws may vary.) You're not hurting anybody. You must have walked around topless many times in the past, right? No? Why not? Because it's not a very classy thing to do. Because you do care about what people think of you. You don't want to deal with the negative reaction that goes with the action.

I know, it's not a perfect analogy, but it's the best I could come up with to get my point across.

elf6c
05-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Tough choice....I think a Porsche Boxter..but if they weren't springing for teh extravagant line, I really like those little Mini-Coopers.......I was going to buy one but (sigh) the family car died and I had to buy a new SUV instead.

If you could have an all expense paid vacation for 1 week to anywhere in the world, where would you go?

How about the new Porsche Cayenne then?

___

A cycling tour of France, one of the trips which retrace sections of that year's Tour de France.

___

What is your favorite tool or gadget in your kitchen?

Diane
05-12-2003, 03:16 PM

Count me as one who has "resorted" to Ďdonít be surprised. . .í and who will continue to "resort".

If you act like a racist asshole because you are just being yourself, youíre going to get your ass handed to you.

If you act like an incoherent, blabbering idiot because you are just being yourself, you are going to be ruthlessly mocked.

If you act like an intelligent and rational human being because you are just being yourself, you will be respected by most.

If you act like a frustrated horn dog because you are just being yourself, you are going to have people thinking that you are a pathetic cyber-sex attention whore and beg you to pull up your panties and get your crotch outa our faces..

By all means, whomever or whatever you are, just be yourself. However, just donít expect that there will be no comments when you make "yourself" visible on a public message board.

BottledBlondJeanie
05-12-2003, 06:32 PM
I'll tell you what hardy I'll let you know when I have a problem with being considered an exhibitionist/flirty chick on here and I'll say you were right the whole time...

But, FTR, I'm an attorney, I get intellectual validation EVERY DAMN DAY...I wear Jones New York Suits and behave mostly prim and proper. I can't be WILD AND CRAZY anymore because I work for a high-profile, conservative firm...I can be wild and crazy here and it's nice. It's nice that I can talk about my bisexuality, about the OLDER man I'm dating, about getting a frickin boob job.

And guess what, I mostly stay out of the flirt threads...about once every 6 months I pop in with a topic that does scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A HOT CHICK" and I have a brain. Why? I'm a hot chick, but I can't acknowledge that on a day-to-day basis or it's a topic that I can't talk about due to my career. And you know what's so nice? Bringing the HEY-LOOKIT ME stuff to folks who truly appreciate it...who see the motivation, but whatever, I don't think a self-aggrandizing thread every 6 months puts me on par w/ Kay Kay.

And Diane, I actually don't really see you as being neutral on this one, but here's an example. You ever ask a friend or SO if your ass looks big in an outfit? It's that type of deal. I've been told that I can be very critical of my body...ridiculously so...so yeah, a truly objective opinion would be nice...it's not like if someone from here complimented me I'd jump on his/her lap and well...do things to them. Also, it would be nice to hear from anyone who's gotten it done...also need to know a lot about what potential child birth could do to the girls..

Diane
05-12-2003, 09:37 PM
BBJ, there is a difference between gathering information and first hand experiences when having a surgical proceedure done to your body compared to gathering the opinions posted on a message board and going with a majority rules vote.

Maybe you didn't mean it to come across the way that you did, but it certainly appeared to be the latter.

mipiace
05-12-2003, 09:39 PM
What if you act like there is a huge fucking pole up your ass? Will people think that about you?

Diane
05-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Ummm, I dunno. That I am a popsicle?

Diane
05-12-2003, 11:18 PM
BTW, feel free to have a lick.

hardygrrl
05-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Ummm, I dunno. That I am a popsicle?

Dammit, Diane, if I see a thread titled "I May Be Quiescently Frozen, But I'm Hot Inside ;)", I will not only blame you but will fly to your home to fart on your head. :D

Waverly
05-13-2003, 06:03 AM
But, FTR, I'm an attorney, I get intellectual validation EVERY DAMN DAY...

about once every 6 months I pop in with a topic that does scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A HOT CHICK" and I have a brain. Why? I'm a hot chick... :dubious:
hardygrrl, please accept my sincere apologies. It has come to my attention that BBJ has indeed gone off the deep end with the self aggrandizing. I now agree that the whole boob-job thing was a ploy to dredge the depths for a some base form of attention and to feed the ego of someone already enamored with herself. Iím a bit embarrassed that I could have thought otherwise.

hardygrrl
05-13-2003, 07:45 AM
:dubious:
hardygrrl, please accept my sincere apologies. It has come to my attention that BBJ has indeed gone off the deep end with the self aggrandizing. I now agree that the whole boob-job thing was a ploy to dredge the depths for a some base form of attention and to feed the ego of someone already enamored with herself. Iím a bit embarrassed that I could have thought otherwise.

No need to apologize, Waverly. :)

After all, who better to give you an honest opinion of your breasts - a plastic surgeon who trained for years or a bunch of people skilled at one hand typing? :dubious:

hardygrrl
05-13-2003, 07:48 AM

But, FTR, I'm an attorney, I get intellectual validation EVERY DAMN DAY...I wear Jones New York Suits and behave mostly prim and proper. I can't be WILD AND CRAZY anymore because I work for a high-profile, conservative firm...I can be wild and crazy here and it's nice. It's nice that I can talk about my bisexuality, about the OLDER man I'm dating, about getting a frickin boob job.

Wow. You're a rebel. :rolleyes: Bet you also run with scissors and lean your chair way back.

mipiace
05-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Popsicle, frozen inside, stick up her ass...yep could be.

Lick you? I thought you were nailing others for posting propositions. Hypocrisy at it's best right here in the pit. Sounds like you would fit right into the Spit & Swallow Pub.

mipiace
05-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hardygrrl
Wow. You're a rebel. :rolleyes: Bet you also run with scissors and lean your chair way back.

Hey, I run with scissors! But I'll try and lean my chair waaaay back and see what happens. :)

mipiace
05-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by hopefool
Gee, even as a newbie I can see both sides of this fence.

On the one hand, I can appreciate and acknowledge "flirt" threads for what they are. Even sexually themed threads that seem to degenerate to nothing but flirting. If I'm interested in the subject matter, I'll read to the point where the fun begins and then I'll click off that and on to some other topic. If that's all the thread is, I usually tend to ignore them.

However, I have upon occasion or two, participated with friends on various boards in this kind of thing. I don't think (hope) that it ever went overboard, but I'm sure that someone, somewhere, didn't like it or think that the exclusivity of it was appropriate or the content pertinent. Unfortunately though, IME (albeit limited), either the participants didn't realize/care, thought it was harmless or enjoyed the fact that others might want to join in, seem envious (like "ooooh, see how popular they all are!") or only wish they could belong, perhaps like some involved had felt in the past. The times this has happened to me, I belonged in the clueless category as it was essentially my first MB and I never thought for a minute that other folks could be disgusted, annoyed or assumed less of our characters. So, maybe in all of the above, there might be something that applies here.

Now, as to where I am now..... I'm always grateful, as previously mentioned, on adequately titled threads. That helps tons. I have read some of the postings in question and I don't ever recall anyone hijacking a thread that *wasn't* about sexish things already. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But, as the target of the OP felt, jarbabyj and others do have the right to be tired of the sheer poliferation of them. Or at the small amount of "ewww, not again" one might encounter when inadverdently opening up something to read that may be like that when you thought otherwise or going along and hitting that midway through. Kind of throws you off your pace.

So, I guess my take is more "cutting of slack" all way 'round. You know, as previously suggested, more accurate titles. More skipping it if'n ya ain't interested. And less assumptions from both camps because I don't think many people here are prudes -or- desperate. Although I suppose I could be wrong and all insults are necessary. Or is that just a pit requirement?

Signing off on my armchair psychology.

You may now return to flashing and moaning with impugnity.

You know I keep saying that. But some people just keep saying what a skeeve I am (funny they KEEP reading though) You have a good attitude. Keep an open mind.

I agree about the labeling and I have never hijacked a non-sexual thread and maybe I just haven't read threads that were hijacked - I'll concede that.

But what you said about being popular...funny I never considered tht because I never thought of any of them as exclusive groups. And you are right I consider it be muey harmless....whatever, every body has the right to their opinion and as far as the insults....did you notice I posted a rather ambiguous remark and someone just assumed I was talking about them. Guess if the shoe fits....

Diane
05-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Please donít fart on my head, Hardy. I worked so hard to get the part just right today.

about once every 6 months I pop in with a topic that does scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A HOT CHICK" and I have a brain. Why? I'm a hot chick..

OMG! BBJ is Rob Schneider (http://fff.fathom.org/pages/wav/501262.jpg)!

I gotta tell ya though Honey, cucumbers wonít lift them permanently.

Diane
05-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Lick you? I thought you were nailing others for posting propositions. Hypocrisy at it's best right here in the pit. Sounds like you would fit right into the Spit & Swallow Pub.

Oh mipiace, youíre so like cute and stuff but dumb as a rock.

Maybe I should have said "kiss" my ass instead of "lick" but then you really donít actually "kiss" popsicles, ya know? Jeeeeezus, isnít it odd how some things just seem to fly over the heads of the pud pounders and the twat twiddlers. I wonder if there is a correlation there, I just know that Iím just getting kinda tired of having to explain to the impaired.

It shouldn't matter anyway because I take back my licking offer. I am not sure if you have had your shots and I certainly wouldnít want to catch anything.

kabbes
05-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Here's a wee comment from someone who's been in online communities of one form or another for.. ooh... 12 or so years now. That may not sound much in IRL time, but I think it's about 84 years net-time.

Attention whores are only popular with other attention whores. This seems like a lot of people when you're just reading since... well... attention whores post a lot and tend to get attention. So the attention whoring appears to be working. Success! Lots of attention!

But when you actually meet up with a larger sample of the community IRL you realise just what a large proportion of them either despise, pity or just plain laugh at the pathos of the attention whores. Just because 20% of readers make up 80% of the posts, doesn't mean that the other 80% of readers don't exist. They're there, they are judging you, they are forming conclusions and they hate your attention whoring asses.

The 5% of the population that are attention whores all gather in threads like this to back eachother up. They end up blinded by eachothers' radiance. And so the appearance that the attention whoring is enjoyable, fun and makes them popular remains intact.

Now you can do with this information what you wish. I don't give a fuck. I've read too many threads and too many posts in too many different types of online forum for too many years to care. I've been every type of poster there is, before "cynical curmudgeon" finally stuck and I will not interfere one jot with what you post. Everybody finds their path in their own way. If you want to carry on being loathed by 80%+ of the population you are attention whoring in front of, go to it my child with open arms and even more open legs. Personally, my eyes don't even see the flirting posts any more, they automatically scan down. So knock yourselves out.

But I thought that you should know.

pan

elf6c
05-13-2003, 09:43 AM
What if you act like there is a huge fucking pole up your ass? Will people think that about you?

Good posture?

mipiace
05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Good posture?

You are probably right. Now Diane calls me dumb when first of all I said "what are you if you have a pole up your ass and she responds for me to lick her popsicle and then somehow I am suposed to make that correlation with kissing her ass. What happened to the popsicle....some people. I think the pole goews all the way to the brain.

Kabbes - oddly enough I like your approach. Never concerned me who hated me or thought what and if you thought I had a pole up my ass I certainly wouldn't get upset enough to ask anyone to kiss my ass. You see that is the difference. YOU CARE - I don't. And the fact that you have the aptitude to skim over what doesn't interest you says volumes. You don't try to control others, you can be selective in your responses and in your associates, your vocabulary seems a little slack with all the attention whore profanity but I am sure it is due to your obvious passion regarding the subject.

It's computer to computer. I can chose to ignore you if I want. This started out being about Jarbaby and she has dropped out of sight but Diane sure decided to take it all very personally. I never said I was talking about her - she merely inferred. Everyone has a choice. Thanks for pointing that out.

Waverly
05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Kabbes - oddly enough I like your approach. Never concerned me who hated me or thought what and if you thought I had a pole up my ass I certainly wouldn't get upset enough to ask anyone to kiss my ass. You see that is the difference. YOU CARE - I don't. And the fact that you have the aptitude to skim over what doesn't interest you says volumes. You don't try to control others, you can be selective in your responses and in your associates, your vocabulary seems a little slack with all the attention whore profanity but I am sure it is due to your obvious passion regarding the subject. You may be interested in
The Elements of Style (http://www.bartleby.com/141/)
Websterís Dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm)
and
The Concise Writing Guide (http://garbl.home.attbi.com/stylemanual/betwrit.htm)

Between the run-on sentences and misused words, I canít be bothered to figure out if you have a point. I'm going to make an educated guess that you don't.

Diane
05-13-2003, 02:23 PM
I never said I was talking about her

Youíre right, Brainiac, you never said you were talking about me and I never assumed you were. Of course no one else has the right to take exception to the drivel that is sliding out of your mouth, down your chin, and onto your keyboard except for the person you initially addressed. No one else is allowed to make comment.

It doesnít work that way, Toots. If you want it to, may I suggest one on one e-mail?

Back to the topic and speaking of one on one e-mail, would it really be that difficult to keep your crotch out of the faces of (as Kabbes so aptly stated) the 80% of those who find you and your keyboard humping annoying?

I mean really, how hard can it be?

Waverly - The problem is either one hand typing or a lack of blood to the brain. Either way, it is yet another example of why it is a bad idea to cyber masturbate for an unwilling audience of mostly intelligent message board members who aren't easily impressed with the "looky me, ain't I soooo cute and sexxx-xxxay do you wanna pretend we're screwing" mentality.

tiny ham
05-13-2003, 02:29 PM
why in the fucking world would I continue posting to this thread? I left because I'd made my point and had no further desire to read it. Wasn't that your first request of me? If I don't like it, don't read it?

I guess I was out getting a life... :rolleyes:

Stephi
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
I usually don't flame like this, but today I'm going to make an exception:

miapiace:
Your attitude throughout this whole thread sucks. Regardless of what I think of the issue, I'm starting to believe you're acting like a rude, condescending, arrogant, teenaged drama queen. You're trying to be witty, but you're not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. There are at least a thousand others here who are smarter than you, way smarter than you, * but you come off as this smug juvenile bitch.

If there's anything I can't stand, it's someone who thinks they are "The Shit." Gosh, that rubs me the wrong way! Maybe you should try being a little more respectful, just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean you have to act like a twelve year old.

I'm sorry, but I just had to get that out.

* And there are at least a thousand other people here more intelligent than I. But at least I'm smart enough to realize it.

hardygrrl
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Hey, I run with scissors! But I'll try and lean my chair waaaay back and see what happens. :)

Knock yourself out, sugarbritches. Not like there's enough brain matter in that head to make a large mess.

elf6c
05-14-2003, 09:18 AM
As unusual as it may be coming from me, what exactly are we doing at this point? Half-heartly swapping insults? Does anyone even care at this point, or is this thread just going on because of the need to have the last insult?

While I enjoy a good shit-storm as much as the next Pit-Vulture, it may be time to stick a fork in this one. Just my thoughts- take them for what, if anything, they are worth.

Diane
05-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Ummmm actually I think the fork was stuck into it yesterday (I know I had become pretty bored with it).

You know I like ya Elf, but did you notice that the thread was third in line to fall off the page until you resurrected it?

elf6c
05-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Oops, it was higher when I opened it. I suck. :(

I figured with the last 3 posts prior to mine that this sucker might never die- becoming the Bleak House of threads.

Now with this lame explanation, let the sinking commence!

mipiace
05-14-2003, 02:09 PM
I agree...ooops sorry I brought it back to the top. But let's all agree to hate each other and be done with it.

Elf - you are cool, no problem with you and it has just become an insult fest. Stephi - why yes I have been arrogant and condescending. Doesn't mean I am dumb, just that felt like stooping to the standards presented to me - I was a bitch no arguing with that (I kept wondering why no one pointed that out - seems like they pointed out lots of non-existant stuff but not the obvious)

Hadrygrrl - I'm disappointed I had more faith in you than that but I am not saying anything. See you around.

Diane you keep thinking everyone is masturbating. The truth is no one is masturbating. It is all your imagnation. I just piss you off beyond belief because I push your buttons and you can't resist it when I do. If I am immature, what does that make you? Ready to fall for it, ready to engage. Am I trying to be witty? - not really, there isn't anything interesting to be witty about nor anyone I'd care to entertain. It just amazes me how serious you take all of this and how you get spun up. As a matter of fact, I'll bet you have a really hard time not answering me back won't you?

Jarbabyj - glad you got a life. Keep enjoying it.

Ciao tutti,
mipiace

Esprix
05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
And this would be the point where you ask a Moderator to close the thread.

Esprix