PDA

View Full Version : "and I will hug him and love him and squeeze him and call him George"

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-24-2003, 12:36 PM
OK, I know this is a line from a Warner Brothers cartoon! But even after a morning of googling, I've been unable to determine:
1) Which Cartoon
2) What (if anything) the phrase is a take-off of.

Any more savvy dopers out there who can enlighten me?

Cubsfan
05-24-2003, 12:39 PM
I think it was one with a big dumb dog whose owners bring home a cat, maybe sylvester, and he wants to take care of it or something.

Revtim
05-24-2003, 12:39 PM
It's from the one with the Abominable Snowman.

I didn't know until MANY years after I saw the cartoon it's a take-off of "Of Mice And Men".

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Aha! "Of Mice and Men"! No wonder it kept striking a chord! Thanks, Revtim!

Anybody got a link to the actual dialogue from the episode, or the episode title, or somesuch?

Khadaji
05-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I have seen variations in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I had always assumed that it was probablly related to "Of Mice And Men."

Revtim
05-24-2003, 12:49 PM
My pleasure QtM! Maybe Googling the line with 'Abominable' will get you the ep title.

Saitou
05-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Anybody got a link to the actual dialogue from the episode, or the episode title, or somesuch? [/B]

Title can be found here (http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=180)

Guinastasia
05-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Isn't that what Elmira on Tiny Toons always used to say?

"I'm gonna hug you and squeeze you and hold you forever and ever!"

Larry Mudd
05-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Tell me about the bunnies, George.

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-24-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks, saitu!

CarnalK
05-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Umm, Saitu that link sent me to "The Abominable Snow Rabbit"...

If I remember correctly it was an episode when Sylvester and some big dumb cat were patrolling the docks looking for mice. And they met the kangaroo, classic mis-apprehensoins and combat ensue. The big dumb cat wanted the mouse for a pet.

I know there was another similar episode with Sylvester and his son, but I'm sticking with my hazy childhood memory.

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-24-2003, 02:03 PM
I suspect they may have used the "George" thing more than once, Carnalk. I remember it with the yeti.

3waygeek
05-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Both Saitou and CarnalK are right -- the line has been used several times in classic WB toons, including at least the two cited.

AFAIK, it's never been used in any classic MGM toon, even the old Tex Avery George & Junior toons (which characters were, IIRC, inspired by Steinbeck).

Revtim
05-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Read the synopsis at the link CarnalK. It is indeed the correct episode. The line isn't from any any of the Sylvester and son 'toons.

Saitou
05-24-2003, 02:07 PM
CarnalK,
According to this (http://www.tultw.com/bios/hippety.htm) site there is indeed a Sylvester episode "Hoppy Go Lucky" which has a variation of the line ("To have one for my very own,to love him and pet him,to hug him and hug him,pet him and pet him")

CarnalK
05-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Revtim-Read the synopsis at the link CarnalK. It is indeed the correct episode. The line isn't from any any of the Sylvester and son 'toons

Whaa? Somehow I merged the Khadaji's "Mice and Men" and Saitou's posts. Which means of course I completely missed your post in between, maybe I have repressed memories.

PS- I knew the line was not from a Sylvester&son ep. I meant there was a similar kangaroo mix up episode with S&s.

The Tof
05-24-2003, 03:00 PM
They have used the line numerous times for varying cartoons. I guarantee it. I can think of a couple of examples right now.

That big hairy beast thingy that Marvin the Martian sometimes used as his thug, for example, said it at least once.

Daizy
05-24-2003, 03:05 PM
My daughter was born soon after, and that was when we knew we had picked the right name! We were watching cartoons, and the snowman was hugging Bugs Bunny- saying,"I will love him and hug him and squeeze him and name him George". We all cracked up laughing! It was an exact picture of Carrie (daughter) and George!

I'm a Googler too! :D

Daizy

Fornit
05-24-2003, 03:06 PM
The line was spoken by Hugo (the abominable snow creature) in "Spaced Out Bunny" c1980, in which Bugs is captured by Marvin the Martian and taken to Mars. There he is handed over to Hugo, who treats Bugs as a pet/playmate. Bugs states at this time, "oh no, not again...."

"I will hug him, and stroke him, and cuddle him and sing to him and call him george."

-fornit

Muad'Dib
05-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Yes, it is Hugo that I remember repeating the line.

CarnalK
05-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Hmm. using Saitou's earlier link I found the Marvin the Martian bio has a suspect:
Spaced-Out Bunny (http://tultw.com/bios/marvin.htm)[scroll down]--Marvin captures Bugs Bunny and brings the rabbit back to Mars as a playmate for Hugo.

CarnalK
05-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeesh beat by 5 min? Shoulda previewed and bailed...

Daizy
05-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Ok...I'm done googling. (Really I am.) But it seems you weren't the only one curious (http://www.novanotes.com/feb2002/feb102002.htm) Qadgop the Mercotan :)

Daizy

rowrrbazzle
05-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 3waygeek
AFAIK, it's never been used in any classic MGM toon, even the old Tex Avery George & Junior toons (which characters were, IIRC, inspired by Steinbeck). It was used in the 1946 Tex Avery cartoon Lonesome Lenny (http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=3083&p=n). Lenny, the dog, wants a friend and chooses Screwy Squirrel. Not surprisingly, it's the last Screwy Squirrel cartoon.

Fern Forest
05-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Sad ending. Wasn't it?

But he don't move no more.

Greywolf73
05-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Okay, I also remember hearing that line in a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Wiley Coyote and the really hairy sheepdog. The sheepdog was guarding a herd of sheep (naturally) and Wiley Coyote was trying different ways to nab one of the sheep.
I think (and I am probably dis-remembering it completely) that the sheepdog got bonked on the head with something and was a little woozy and grabbed a sheep, started petting it and saying, "and I will love him and squeeze him and call him George!"
Or maybe that was Wiley Coyote.
Or maybe I just made it all up with my vivid imagination at the time.
I DO remember in that same episode that in the beginning Wiley Coyote and the sheepdog punched in on a timeclock and told each other good morning before chasing each other around all day. That always cracked me up. :p

Diceman
05-24-2003, 08:59 PM
I remember it from the cartoon with the Abominable Snowman -- specifically, the one where Bugs and Daffy are trying to get to Pismo Beach and wind up in the Himalayas.

My brother and sister and I named our cat 'George' after someone remembered this cartoon :)

Eats_Crayons
05-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Greywolfe the Abominable Snowman was drawn almost identically to the sheepdog. Only he had white bangs instead of red bangs in fron of his eyes.

(Favourite moment: when Bug tricks Daffy into wearing a rabbit suit, and Abominable spanks the "naughty, naughty bunny rabbit".)

astro
05-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Somehow (I'm probably mis-remembering) I remember this "dumb dog" line being in the cartoon where Bugs Bunny is trying to evade a pack of fox hounds and the big dumb dog is the laggard in the pack. At some point he finds Bugs and thinks he is fox and utters this line.........or not.

Saitou
05-25-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by astro
Somehow (I'm probably mis-remembering) I remember this "dumb dog" line being in the cartoon where Bugs Bunny is trying to evade a pack of fox hounds and the big dumb dog is the laggard in the pack. At some point he finds Bugs and thinks he is fox and utters this line.........or not.

This (http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=609) one ? If i'm remembering correctly this (http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=377) one has a similiar line

astro
05-25-2003, 04:35 AM
Here (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3772622B.3573306D%40NOSPAM.disinfo.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dand%2Bcall%2Bhim%2BGeorge%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D3772622B.3573306D%2540NOSPAM.disinfo.net%26rnum%3D1)

Right off the top of my head, here are three Warner Bros. cartoons that
contain the Steinbeck routine of "George and Lenny":

"Hoppy Go Lucky" (McKimson/1952)-Sylvester is called George by an oaf
cat named Benny

"Cat-Tails For Two" (McKimson/1953)-First appearance of Speedy Gonzales
(gold tooth and all) with two cats named George and Benny

"The Abdominable Snow Rabbit" (Jones/1961)-Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are
hugged and petted and squeezed and called George

Not aware of any "George" references on Mars...there may be a couple of
more cartoons....

whiterabbit
05-25-2003, 10:04 AM
I remember the snowman one. That's where I got it when I decided to name my now sadly deceased leopard gecko George. He was a cute lil' lizard guy!

StanDup
05-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Mindy and Buttons?

Chronos
05-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Okay, I also remember hearing that line in a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Wiley Coyote and the really hairy sheepdog.Nitpick: That's not Wile E. Coyote in the cartoon(s) with the sheepdog. The noses are different colors. That's a wolf, and they say his name in the cartoon (though I don't remember it).

Extraneous
05-25-2003, 04:00 PM
The wolf's name is Ralph (the wolf has a red nose, Wile E.'s is black).

another "Of Mice and Men" Looney tune:

"Dough Ray Me-Ow" (1948, Arthur Davis) featuring Louie the Parrot and Heathcliff the Cat (no "George", though).

manx
05-25-2003, 11:46 PM
I remember the Bugs/Daffy episode, mostly because I loved that line. And then on the Australian Big Brother 2, one of the first housemates to get voted out was given a goldfish, and, when asked what its name would be, said 'George. Because I will hug him and love him and squeeze him...'

My brother and I cheered, and felt bad about being glad she was voted out.

lauramarlane
05-26-2003, 07:04 AM
The one I remember the most was with the Abominb-b-b-ble Snowman and Sylvester. Especially the part when Sylvester says, "but my name is Sylvester" and the snowman says, "but I can't say Sylvester, George."

It's funny this came up because my youngest is named George--after his dad. When he asks why I named him George I always tell him it's because when I first saw him I thought "I'm gonna love him, and squeeze him and name him George." So he's rather proud of the fact he's named for a cartoon :)