PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo turning kids on to lesbianism

jeevmon
05-30-2003, 01:50 PM
So, apparently Disney and Pixar are catching some flak for casting Ellen DeGeneres in a voice role in the new film "Finding Nemo."

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/weblogs/tperrault/?adate=5%2F14%2F2003

Because we all know that if a child hears a lesbian's voice, he or she will want to be homosexual. :rolleyes:

Olentzero
05-30-2003, 02:14 PM
If it's wet like a fish and smells like a fish...

hides under the floorboards

iampunha
05-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Wow, that sure looks like even-handed, intelligent reasoning to me. No sign of assumptions the size of mountains or "Disney ought to be the way I want it because I'm an American so I own Disney"-type thought.

People like that guy give Christians who can think a bad name.

Loneraven
05-30-2003, 02:17 PM
That is such complete and utter bullshit that I am reduced to incoherence:

... ... ... ...

Scylla
05-30-2003, 02:17 PM
My daughter and I will still go tomorrow.

Somehow I hope she'll be able to get past this exposure. I can't shield her forever.

Jonathan Chance
05-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Sunday for us. And I'm bringing a 3-year old girl.

AND MY WIFE!!!

I'm living on the edge here!

Tars Tarkas
05-30-2003, 02:28 PM
So that was Ross from Friends's big mistake!

TaxGuy
05-30-2003, 02:34 PM
That same site also contains an article that starts like this:
Commentary: The Burden of Marriage
Ken Connor
President, Family Research Council

Married couples file fewer than half of all tax returns, but they pay 74 percent of all taxes. While the tax cut bill President Bush signed yesterday offers some relief for families by reducing the marriage penalty and increasing the per-child tax credit, married couples still bear a disproportionate share of the tax burden.

Absolutely as fucking stupid as fucking stupid can get.

Amp
05-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jeevmon
Because we all know that if a child hears a lesbian's voice, he or she will want to be homosexual. :rolleyes:

That's why I had to stop watching Will and Grace. They almost turned me into one of them thar homer-sexuals.

RexDart
05-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TaxGuy
That same site also contains an article that starts like this:
<snip>
Absolutely as fucking stupid as fucking stupid can get.

And the award for most pointless non sequitur of the week goes to.....TaxGuy! Congratulations!

...Anyways, on topic, Roger Ebert described the character as a bit of a scatterbrain, so it's not like the lesbian is using her lesbian superpowers to save the planet or anything that would make lesbianism more alluring. And a young kid seeing this movie possibly wasn't even alive when Ellen's pathetic excuse for a TV show finally went off the air, and certainly was as unaware of it as everybody else was who never watches CBS. And this movie actually features a single father who's the hero, nice positive stuff there.

When Disney has an actual gay or lesbian character in a movie, then the country is ready for this debate (a pointless debate, since Disney is a private company who can do whatever the hell they want in their movies.)

Diogenes the Cynic
05-30-2003, 02:53 PM
All a kid is going to see is the talking fish anyway, it's not like they know or care who the voice-actors are. This is some really stupid shit.

El_Kabong
05-30-2003, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling someone is going to pop up with some sort of joke about what a lesbian fish tastes like, but I want to assure you it won't be me.

*ahem*

Er, actually this isn't the first time DeGeneres has worked for Disney. Her real live, alternative lifestyle self appeared in a film about dinosaurs shown in one of the EPCOT exhibits that I visited a couple of years ago. Danged if I remember any outraged parents, or their children, shrieking and running out of the auditorium at the sight of her.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 03:21 PM
RexDart: And the award for most pointless non sequitur of the week goes to.....TaxGuy! Congratulations!Huh? How is that a non sequitur?

It's a further example of editorial decisions made by the administrators of Crosswalk reflecting a totally insane, bereft-of-logic point of view.

"Married couples file fewer than half of all tax returns, but they pay 74 percent of all taxes." This represents a disproportionate tax burden? Last time I checked, most married couples had two incomes. They are suggesting that married couples should only have to pay as much tax as a single person, divorcing the concept of income tax from income. How stupid can they be?

It is totally related to the ignorant attitude expressed in the article linked in the OP. Or do you think that they believe gay couples should get a 50% tax-cut, too?

The Hamster King
05-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Diogenes the Cynic
All a kid is going to see is the talking fish anyway, it's not like they know or care who the voice-actors are. This is some really stupid shit.

Damn, I was hoping for some hot girl fish/girl fish action ... .

Guess I have to go see the Italian Job instead. I wonder what it's about? It sure *sounds* dirty ... .

Priam
05-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Five more recruits and I get a toaster. I wonder what Ellen's going to get with all those points accrued seducing children to the Lavender Side (dark is sooooooo 15 minutes ago).

Doomtrain
05-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Wow, gays and lesbians get superpowers AND a toaster? I'm ready to convert now!

Wait, do I get to pick which one...?

Priam
05-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by GMRyujin
Wow, gays and lesbians get superpowers AND a toaster? I'm ready to convert now!

Wait, do I get to pick which one...?

We get a wide range of items available in the Sodom and Gommorah catalogue, from designer underwear up to small island nations.

As for the second part, I'm afraid the only way to work that is if you also convert to the transgender lifestyle.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 03:57 PM
From the link: The House of Mouse -- in conjunction with Pixar Studios -- is releasing its latest animated feature for children...and Ellen DeGeneres is, apparently, the only female they could find to voice one of the main characters. Clearly, the Pixar/Disney folks just assume that Ellen is a perfect casting choice, and only those in the hate-mongering religious right would have any issues with the selection.
This raises two very important questions: 1) Huh? 2) Wha...?I'm not sure, but I think this might be one of those "Many a true word spoken in jest" kinda situations.

TeaElle
05-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Priam
Five more recruits and I get a toaster. I wonder what Ellen's going to get with all those points accrued seducing children to the Lavender Side (dark is sooooooo 15 minutes ago).

You're just working up to toaster?

I'm not even gay and my next recruit will earn me the Jeep. Geez, get with the picture, Priam!

... tlw walks off rubbing her hands and thinking "Hmm, a Disney film. Seems innocuous, but if the very sound of Ellen's voice can turn someone, I know exactly how I can work this to my advantage. Jeep, you will be mine!

Shirley Ujest
05-30-2003, 04:06 PM
lesbian superpowers

Lesbian Powers Activate!

Take the form of a Dildo!

TaxGuy
05-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Could you describe what one of those "kinds of situations" is like Mr. Mudd? I don't know what you mean.

The problem I have with the story is that they think Disney casted a lesbian on purpose just to piss off the religious right. The POV in the article not-so-subtly implies that everything that is done to piss off the religious right was intentionally done to do so, which is BS.

jeevmon
05-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Larry Mudd
I'm not sure, but I think this might be one of those "Many a true word spoken in jest" kinda situations.

Um, except for the part immediately after:

Although Ellen might be a sweet person (I have no idea) and a good choice for the role (whatever), we're once again reminded just how far removed most of us are from the cultural epicenter of America. With literally hundreds and hundreds of perfectly viable options, Disney goes with someone whose personal lifestyle is antithetical to the throngs of families who are supposed to eagerly flock to the theaters on May 30th. This is what we in the Internet business call "a disconnect".

Needless to say, Mickey needs to get a clue. Is it possible that Goofy is now running the show over there at Disney? I've always wondered about him.

That and the fact that the site linked is a Christian site leads me to believe that this is for real. And that he's saying that Disney should have found a non-homosexual for a speaking part in an animated film. Or rather, that because the film is a family film, it is preferred to have no homosexuals in the cast.

Priam
05-30-2003, 04:23 PM
I think Larry's point was in the following:

"Clearly, the Pixar/Disney folks just assume that Ellen is a perfect casting choice, and only those in the hate-mongering religious right would have any issues with the selection."

The grain of truth there is that apparently only those hate-mongering religious right folks seem to have any issues with Ellen's casting.

jeevmon
05-30-2003, 04:29 PM
I think Larry's point was in the following:

"Clearly, the Pixar/Disney folks just assume that Ellen is a perfect casting choice, and only those in the hate-mongering religious right would have any issues with the selection."

The grain of truth there is that apparently only those hate-mongering religious right folks seem to have any issues with Ellen's casting.

I'd characterize that as [sarcasm] rather than [jest] as such.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Taxguy and jeevmon, you misunderstand me. When the author of the article says that "Ellen is a perfect casting choice, and only those in the hate-mongering religious right would have any issues with the selection", he is being sarcastic. Of course, as is plain to anyone whose mental faculties are not occluded by irrational prejudices, that sentence is the simple, unadorned truth. Obviously, he does not intend it to be taken at face value.

Hence, although he intends to elicit a chuckle with his 'clever' phraseology, he has inadvertantly uttered a truism. True words spoken in jest.

Sorry, I that was clear.

..previews..

Never mind.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Please insert this:

thought

where it seems appropriate above.

That's what I get for 'previewing' and not actually reading my post.

iampunha
05-30-2003, 04:51 PM
I think we may well go to that movie just to piss that guy off. Maybe bring one of B's nieces, too. Can't start the conversion process too early, now...

ivylass
05-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Because of course, you can tell someone is gay by just their voice, you know.

:rolleyes:

I'm waiting for a couple of weeks for the crowd to thin out before we go. My next movie is Bruce Almighty. We just saw X-Men 2 last week.

Chimera
05-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey, how many single men worked on this film? Because as I was angrily told by a -former- friend, single men know nothing about children. Thus, one can conclude that single men should not be allowed to work on family films!

TaxGuy
05-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Cool, I can dig it, Larry. I've just never heard that saying before (maybe it's a Canadian thang).

NDP
05-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Re: Finding Nemo turning kids on to lesbianism
Because we all know that if a child hears a lesbian's voice, he or she will want to be homosexual.
That's why I had to stop watching Will and Grace. They almost turned me into one of them thar homer-sexuals.
Hey! Why do people doubt that simply watching a cartoon character voiced by a lesbian comedian or a TV show will with homosexual characters will cause them to go homosexual? After all, Spiderman makes you gay. (http://www.comedyconvoy.com/content/flash/35.shtml)

rjung
05-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Wow, Finding Nemo's pissin' off the radical Christian right? I'm definitely gonna see it this weekend! :D

(Of course, I was planning to anyway, but pissing off the rCr is just a bonus ;) )

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 05:18 PM
I just wanted to make it clear that when I said (or rather meant to say) "Sorry, I thought that was clear," I wasn't being sarcastic. Reviewing, I realize that it could easily be taken that way.

It's obvious to me that since two intelligent people took it to mean that I thought the article was a joke of some sort, further that I thought that it had some truth to it, I wasn't being clear at all. Far from it!

Carry on.

Oh, while I'm here--I'd characterize that as [sarcasm] rather than [jest] as such.Sarcasm is a subset of jest, although it's arguably the lowest form, as the saying goes.

And allow me to add my voice to the chorus of those looking around for a kid to take to see this movie now. And I usually harbour a grudge against Disney. Ironically, because of the way they tend to homogenize every classic story they get their grubby mitts on. :D

Captain Amazing
05-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ivylass
We just saw X-Men 2 last week.

My God! Don't you know about Ian McKellan? You're playing with fire, missy, playing with fire!

:D

gobear
05-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Captain Amazing
My God! Don't you know about Ian McKellan? You're playing with fire, missy, playing with fire!

And don't forget Alan Cumming, also one of the Lavender Lads (although he's blue in the movie--those cunning homosexuals!)

Gee, and right-wing Christians wonder why everyone else think they're small-minded bigots.

istara
05-30-2003, 06:08 PM
For more wacky fundie film-bashing fun, try: http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/home.html

About the only thing considered acceptable is Swiss Family Robinson. It has all sorts of wondrous moans and gripes about different films, from the unBiblical Chinese belief system in Mulan, the Gospel singers in Hercules, and the "lust" portrayed in the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

The site also mentions:
Note: Disney releases are currently being boycotted by many Christians because of their company's pro-homosexual policies.

Netbrian
05-30-2003, 06:42 PM
My god. That site has a design that brings tears to my eyes.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
It's nice to remember that not all Christians, (and not even all right-wing Christians,) are stamped from the same mould.

Would that they were all as grounded as Dr. Ted Baehr, who writes an entertainment column for Christian News Today.

What he has to say about Finding Nemo (http://www.christiannewstoday.com/CNTNews78.html):Marlin determines [to] overcome his fear of the deep and to find Nemo. He is helped by a fish with a short term memory loss, named Dory, voiced by comedienne Ellen DeGeneres. [...] CONTENT: (BBB, C, L, V) Very strong moral worldview with particularly strong father elements and redemptive elements; the little fish pronounce the word “boat” as “butt” several times; barracuda kills mother and fish eggs off screen, frightening sea creatures such as sharks and barracuda, exciting escapes, frightening humans, and animated action violence; no sex; no nudity; and, nothing else objectionable.In another article (http://www.christiannewstoday.com/CNTNews98.html), he writes:I asked [Pixar writer Andrew Stanton] why each one of his movies had a strong redemptive element. FINDING NEMO even has a leap of faith in the belly of a whale reminiscent of the biblical story. Andrew said, “I’m a Christian, and so are most of us.”It sure would be nice if real Christians were as prominent and vociferous as the Fred Phelps flavour of hypocrite & Pharisee.

Terrifel
05-30-2003, 07:11 PM
I find it strangely appropriate that the site linked to in the OP is apparently a division of the "Salem Communications Corporation."

A subsidiary of "Malleus Malleficarium, Inc.," no doubt.

DeadJesus
05-30-2003, 07:43 PM
And don't forget Alan Cumming, also one of the Lavender Lads (although he's blue in the movie--those cunning homosexuals!)

Not only Sir Ian and Alan, X2's director Bryan Singer is also gay.

I'm going to see Finding Nemo tomorrow with my younger brother. He has a friend who interned at Pixar Studios and did some work on the film, so in addition to the great animation, we want to see if he got any credit.

Odesio
05-30-2003, 07:49 PM
So, apparently Disney and Pixar are catching some flak for casting Ellen DeGeneres in a voice role in the new film "Finding Nemo."

I'm confused over how anyone could think Ellen DeGeneres could turn anybody on to anything.

Marc

Guinastasia
05-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Oh man...that Spiderman thing was classic! BWAHAHAHAH!!!

I wonder if these folks read the King James Bible-and if so, if they realize they're reading a book authored by a bisexual!

norinew
05-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Chimera

Hey, how many single men worked on this film? Because as I was angrily told by a -former- friend, single men know nothing about children. Thus, one can conclude that single men should not be allowed to work on family films!

[sarcasm continues] And married women shouldn't work on the film, either, because married women belong at home, taking care of the house and the children and baking bread. Obviously Jews shouldn't work on the film, because we know they don't have good Christian values! So, all you heterosexual Christian males better learn to work on movies damned quick, else there won't be anything left fit to take our kids to!![/sarcasm continues]

Will be taking my girls, including my 3 year old to see it Wednesday. Or, at least I was, until this link pointed out the dangers involved!:rolleyes:

Baker
05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Guinastasia

I wonder if these folks read the King James Bible-and if so, if they realize they're reading a book authored by a bisexual!

Can I be a bit nitpicky here? James I(James VI of Scotland) did not "author" the translation of the Bible that carries his name. As I'm sure you know Guin, teams of scholars did the translating. They weren't the authors either. Jimmy Stuart just lent his name and imprimatur to the whole endeavor!:p

SparrowHawk
05-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Oh goodness me! I am about to leave this very minute and take my darling, impressionable Hawklette and her very best girlfriend to see this movie!! Good thing I found out before I made this terrible mistake!!! Perhaps it is already too late!!!!

I'll let ya know if we like it. :D

(C'mon, Guin, sponsored by, not authored by. You know that.)

presidebt
05-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Obviously, he does not intend it to be taken at face value.

Hence, although he intends to elicit a chuckle with his 'clever' phraseology, he has inadvertantly uttered a truism.

A technique he apparently likes, judging from the next full paragraph down:

...we're once again reminded just how far removed most of us are from the cultural epicenter of America.

Guinastasia
05-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Actually, I didn't know that. Thank you for correcting me.

Some of the reviews though, by individuals are pretty good. Like the ones for Boys Don't Cry-most of them said it was a good, yet very sad and tragic film.

Esprix
05-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Because you know, the Christian Right is all about treating homosexuals fairly - you know, love the sinner, hate the sin, right?

Oh, except we can't give them jobs (even if they're famous and funny and right for the role we give them), because then they're just promoting their lifestyle.

Yeah, that's fair. No jobs, but, you know, they just love them anyway, right?

And now, I'm going to go throw up.

Esprix

Scylla
05-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Captain Amazing

Gandalf the gay?

Chimera
05-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Scylla
Gandalf the gay?

Cue mental image of a bouncing, flamingly gay Gandalf...

Skeezix
05-30-2003, 11:06 PM
That's why they gave him that particular ring, then...

The complexities of that story keep confounding me.

Larry Mudd
05-30-2003, 11:16 PM
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they're as subtle as Kenneth Anger."

Sorry.

Avalonian
05-30-2003, 11:37 PM

Funny you should mention it... (http://www.mckellen.com/writings/000115.htm)

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 12:28 AM

Then he would be Gandalf the FAB-U-LOUUUS! Though did you notice the tension between him and Saruman? And that both "men" carry "long wooden poles" and "wave them around to work their 'power'"? Hmm?

RexDart
05-31-2003, 12:51 AM
Huh? How is that a non sequitur?

It's a further example of editorial decisions made by the administrators of Crosswalk reflecting a totally insane, bereft-of-logic point of view.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the point at hand. Unless you think the proportions of taxes paid by various demographic groups is somehow related to sexual orientation of actors? I didn't think so. That the website happens to host an article about taxation that contains what you or others believe to be severely weak arguments doesn't reflect at all on the strength of an argument presented by another author that happens to appear on the same website. That makes it a non sequitur.

The weaknesses in the argument at hand, which I and others have pointed out, are to be evaluated independant of their source. To be discussed, an argument must be divorced from it's author. And it certainly should not carry the burden of being attacked because other arguments made by people who share the same publisher are deemed to be weak. That's a crappy argument, and it deserves the full force of my derision. Because this is the Pit and not GD, such a total non sequitur is allowable and occasionally fun, but don't pretend it's anything more than that.

Satisfying Andy Licious
05-31-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm disappointed in all of you. I opened this thread hoping to find a clever pun on "queer fish," and it's not here.
Maybe you have better taste than me. Shame on you.
Perhaps this movie will give us a new term, Nemosexual: someone whose orientation is set by cartoon characters.
(Of course I sort of had the hots for Jessica Rabbit, but never mind.)

But anyway, what I really wanted to share is the type of fish that Ellen DeGeneres provides the voice for in this film.
It's a blue tang.
(heh heh. He said "blue tang.")
This had to result from some sort of misunderstanding. Someone thought the studio executives said, "What this movie really needs is a little lesbian blue tang."

Larry Mudd
05-31-2003, 02:30 AM
RexDart: Which has absolutely nothing to do with the point at hand. Unless you think the proportions of taxes paid by various demographic groups is somehow related to sexual orientation of actors? Are you being deliberately obtuse, RexDart? Both articles are clearly arguing from an anti-gay position. Do you think that the following's inclusion as a coda to the article on the "Burden of Marriage (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1202682.html)" is totally insignificant, too?"Like the vast majority of Texans," Gov. Perry said at the signing ceremony, "I believe that marriage represents a sacred union between a man and a woman. With passage of the Defense of Marriage Act, Texas now joins more than 30 states in reinforcing that basic belief."
The Texas law prevents the Lone Star State from legally recognizing same-sex unions that might be legal in other states, such as Vermont's court-imposed "civil unions" scheme.
The federal courts should take notice. In state after state, the American people are making it unmistakably clear through their elected representatives, as they did in Texas, or at the ballot box as they did in Nevada last November, that they want to preserve marriage as the legal union of one man and one woman.

Why ever would we imagine that there is a common theme running through both articles? Of course, you're right. Suggesting that people should be discriminated against by employers based on their sexual orientation is completely different from suggesting that people should be discriminated against by government based on their sexual orientation.

What was I thinking?

Damn, that "sarcasm" business is really catching. Almost as bad as that homosexuality that's been going around.

Nope, no agenda at Crosswalks.com (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1156877.html):Peter LaBarbera, a senior policy analyst with the Culture and Family Institute, an affiliate of Concerned Women for America, warned that people who run for office as homosexuals usually promote a homosexual agenda if elected.
"Very few people who are openly homosexual in office, especially if they've been aligned with these gay groups, behave like it's a non-issue," LaBarbera said.

Well, maybe a little one: (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1166026.html)"About a quarter of the public thinks that more than 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian," the study said.
Family groups said the poll results reflected more the effects of propaganda by homosexual activists and their allies than the facts.
The most reliable sociological studies available show that three to four percent of the population is involved in homosexuality, said Michael Johnston, director of Kerusso Ministries and a former homosexual.
"But you certainly wouldn't know that by listening to the media or listening to homosexual propaganda," he said.

insert something ironic here (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1133084.html)Celibacy is not the problem. The problem in the Catholic Church is a homosexual problem. In a recent article in the National Review, Rod Dreher writes that the pedophilia scandal "cannot be understood and honestly dealt with" without taking the homosexuality of the accused priests into account.
As Dreher writes, "What we're seeing is gay men who cannot or will not keep their pants up around teenage boys. Not teenage girls. Teenage boys." Even the pro-homosexual book, The Gay Report, noted that 73 percent of gay men have had sex with teenage boys.

Whatya mean, 'insert something ironic?' (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1196590.html)The Associated Press reported that Santorum, referencing the upcoming Supreme Court ruling on the legality of Texas' sodomy law in Lawrence v. Texas, said: "If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything."
Robert Knight, director of CWA's Culture Family Institute, said: "Sen. Santorum is exactly right. If courts can strike down laws against sodomy, then there is little reason to believe that laws against bigamy, prostitution and incest will stand."

Was that a pass!? (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1143484.html)Some things have changed for the better in the Bush Administration. Others remain the same. Like the celebration of Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender Awareness Month. [...] It's one thing to call for compassion for such troubled people. It is quite another for government to promote these aberrations as normal and equal to heterosexuals.

You're way outta line, mister! (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1141132.html)There's more news from the education front! A California public school district is allowing homosexual school employees to "come out" in front of school children without first obtaining parental permission.

Why, I oughtta... (http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1173631.html)Prosecutors in Chicago say there's no evidence at this time to charge a homosexual teenager with a hate crime in the stabbing and strangulation death of a woman with whom police say he argued over his lifestyle. [...] "If a gay man had been murdered for trying to convince someone to be gay, it would be a national news story and be deemed a hate crime," said Peter LaBarbera, a policy analyst with the Culture and Family Institute of Concerned Women for America, a conservative Washington, D.C., think tank.
"This case tragically displays the intense hatred for Christianity that exists among some in the homosexual community," said LaBarbera.

I could go on, but somehow, it's just a little bit too depressing.

On a lighter note, Satisfying Andy Licious, I think it's really funny that they made Ellen's character into a Blue Tang-- it really demonstrates how much of a commitee-project the script was.

Let's see, we've got a fish with no short-term memory, named Dory. Hmmmm.... What kind of fish do you think she was when she was first conceived?They say goldfish have no memory
I guess their lives are much like mine
And the little plastic castle
Is a surprise every time
And it's hard to say if they're happy
But they don't seem much to mind
--Ani DiFranco(Ani seems like an appropriate cite for the goldfish-have-no-memory urban legend in the context of this thread...) Sounds to me like Dory was a Poisson d'Or before a none-too-bright art department decided she needed to look more exotic. :smack:

iampunha
05-31-2003, 02:46 AM
people who run for office as homosexuals...

Yyyyyah. "Yes, my name is Iam Punha, and I'm running for office as a homosexual. If elected, I plan to go bi, and if relected I may become polyamorous."

These guys really need to work on their writing abilities. If they're going to write, they ought to have some.

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Satisfying Andy Licious
I'm disappointed in all of you. I opened this thread hoping to find a clever pun on "queer fish,"

Wait a minute! They say Jesus was a fisher of men, and all those Jesus people have fish on their car. If fish make you gay, then...

Jesus was gay!

iampunha
05-31-2003, 02:58 AM
Nevermind that, what were all those gay men doing in that net?!

Larry Mudd
05-31-2003, 03:09 AM
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." --Mark 1:17He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water. --John 21:6-7Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter the kingdom." --The Gospel of Thomas

Larry Mudd
05-31-2003, 03:14 AM
Almost forgot:And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.
And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes. ---Mark 14:51-53

GuanoLad
05-31-2003, 03:23 AM
I know the topic has already long gone off into different territory, but I just thought I'd add that Disney has pretty much no input into what Pixar do. They merely distribute, because the original Toy Story needed some backup funds and distributors.

So due to a nasty contract, Disney gets to have their name plastered all over a gem of a product that really has nothing at all to do with them.

Demise
05-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter the kingdom." --The Gospel of Thomas

Maybe it's because I've had a few drinks, but that doesn't make any fucking sense. I mean, if you can't draw it in Pictionary, then it's probably too complicated to use as a religion.

ageless6
05-31-2003, 06:16 AM
:: Puff, puff, puff ::

Sorry I'm late...so, lesbian casting,eh? I have to say I'm against it. I never liked midget tossing, either.

And have you seen the attitudes on some of those lesbians. I'd hate to try casting one! You'd likely get a knuckle sandwich for that effort.

belladonna
05-31-2003, 06:31 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say that I took my short guy to go see this last night (his first movie ever!) and I thought Ellen did an incredible job. Lots of cartoon voices just roll in one ear and out the other--leaving you to depend on the visuals for the character. Not so with this one. Dory was, yes, I'll say it--fabulous! Very well done. Apparently that whole digging chicks thing doesn't have much to do with one's aptitude for a given task. Hmmm......

Khadaji
05-31-2003, 06:58 AM
Will I become a lesbian in a man's body if I watch? I guess I'd at least get a spot on Oprah

RexDart
05-31-2003, 07:16 AM
Larry, my point is that even the most obvious bias has absolutely zilch to do with evaluating the argument itself. If we take any personal interest or bias into account, we would be committing the genetic fallacy of faulting an argument based on the objectives of the one advancing it. The argument in question is riddled with holes, we needn't resort to guilt by association to condemn it. Any agenda at the website is totally irrelevant to the specific issue at hand, which is the argument that the voice talent of a homosexual actor that no kid is likely to be familiar with will somehow "corrupt" the sexuality of our youth. (Again, this is the sort of thing that would be more enforceable in GD, but as a pure rule of evaluating an argument it holds here as well, and is IMHO worth pointing out.)

BTW, if you're attempting with your Bible quotes to steer this thread towards a more general thread about homosexuality, don't bother. That topic's so old around here, it's got whiskers on it, and it surely doesn't need to be brought in when the stimulus (the anti-Ellen article in question) is so profoundly weak. Just dismiss it and move on.

norinew
05-31-2003, 07:37 AM
Can we get some sequins and maybe a bright pink feather boa to go with that flowing white robe, please?:D

Annie-Xmas
05-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Quoting the Producers:

We just want to get the all the Jews and homosexuals out of the theatre.

If you get all the Jews and homosexuals out of the theatre, you have no theatre.

gobear
05-31-2003, 08:20 AM

Yes, but Legolas is still the prettiest.

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by iampunha
Nevermind that, what were all those gay men doing in that net?!

Jesus was trolling! :D

robertliguori
05-31-2003, 08:53 AM
GMRyujin, read the FAQ. If you have reason to believe that a god is trolling, you don't accuse him or her in public. You report the post to the Mods, and let them sit in judgement.

FriarTed
05-31-2003, 10:02 AM
I am a Christian Rightist who has a lesbian friend and I plan to see FINDING NEMO now just because!

Btw, the Ellen DeG memory-impaired fish thing is also an old joke of hers- perhaps even the inspiration for Ani's song.

Una Persson
05-31-2003, 10:05 AM
10% of us are lesbians, and the other 90% are lying. Or is that vampires? I can never remember.

Una

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by robertliguori
GMRyujin, read the FAQ. If you have reason to believe that a god is trolling, you don't accuse him or her in public. You report the post to the Mods, and let them sit in judgement.

*clicks Report This Son of God to a Moderator*

FriarTed
05-31-2003, 10:10 AM
http://www.crosswalk.com/fun/movies/1202837.html

The Crosswalk reviewer Holly McClure (relation to Troy?!?*L*) loved FINDING NEMO & had good stuff to say about Ellen also.

Btw, Ralph Winter- Executive Producer of both XMen films is a Christian- & I think it's great that Alan (is he just gay or polymorpheously perverse?*L*) portrays the one really Christian X-Man.

sickboy51
05-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Could you describe what one of those "kinds of situations" is like Mr. Mudd? I don't know what you mean.

The problem I have with the story is that they think Disney casted a lesbian on purpose just to piss off the religious right. The POV in the article not-so-subtly implies that everything that is done to piss off the religious right was intentionally done to do so, which is BS.

Anything iontended to piss the religios right is right for me. Down with religion!!!!!!

Larry Mudd
05-31-2003, 01:21 PM
RexDart: Any agenda at the website is totally irrelevant to the specific issue at hand, which is the argument that the voice talent of a homosexual actor that no kid is likely to be familiar with will somehow "corrupt" the sexuality of our youth.Ah, now I see the source of confusion here. I totally missed the part where jeevmon defined the focus and breadth of this thread, and assigned you as an arbiter to keep it on track.

Aw, that sounds snarkier than is strictly necessary. We're clearly on the same page about the strength of the 'argument' presented in the linked article, RexDart. If we limited posts in this thread to commentary about the validity of the viewpoint expressed there, it would sink like a stone. What's to say? The fellow's a bigoted idiot. Confining ourselves to considering the one article without reference to the context in which it is presented gives it a lot more weight to it than it deserves.

TaxGuy's observation that another article with an anti-gay bias, which contains in its first sentence a logical absurdity so absoludicrously ridiculous, nicely demonstrates that the source website expects their target demographic to be able to effortlessly bypass the most basic functions of reason in order to be able to absorb the opinions in the article without it triggering some sort of aneurism based on the incomprehensible level of stupidity that its premises are predicated on.

You seem to have arbitrarily determined that this thread exists to debate the validity or lack thereof of the idea that Ellen DeGeneres is an inappropriate casting choice for an animated film, and the only significance that its location in the Pit holds is that there is, regrettably, a more relaxed set of rules with which we are allowed to approach the problem.

The thing is, there's no debate or argument here at all. It's more of a "Hey! Look at this unbelievable idiot!" "My god, there's a whole herd of 'em!" "Let's point and laugh!" sort of thing. The forum description does not say 'a more informal place to debate the specifics of a particular question at hand, in which you have the luxury of interjecting a bit of profanity', it says, 'If you gotta flame, do it here.' So, here we are, happy as clams, flaming.

BTW, if you're attempting with your Bible quotes to steer this thread towards a more general thread about homosexuality, don't bother.WTF? No, dear, that's just a bit of punning fun. How do you imagine that any of those quotes have any actual relevance to homosexuality? Or do you just think that I might be able to believe something that silly? Nope, just riffing on the jokes that GMRyujin and iampunha had made. You know-- fun.

FriarTed, thanks for the link to Holly McClure's review of Finding Nemo -- it's nice to see that there is a voice of reason at Crosswalks.com -- I looked at her review of The Matrix: Reloaded, too, and I like what she has to say. Someone get that woman a bullhorn!

sickboy51: Anything iontended to piss the religios right is right for me. Down with religion!!!!!!Awww, wookit the widdle iwwiterate bigot. How cute.

:squish:
:wipe:

Gozu Tashoya
05-31-2003, 02:32 PM
God, if this is the religious right's response to Finding Nemo, I can't wait what they'll have to say about Sinbad.

"Brad Pitt provides the voice for the title character. Upon leaving the theater, I realized that each of my three daughters was now noticably pregnant."

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 02:50 PM
I get the feeling that Sinbad is already bad because it's mythological and has scary creatures in it! Woo! Prepare your soul for doom!

Miller
05-31-2003, 03:29 PM
(Ani seems like an appropriate cite for the goldfish-have-no-memory urban legend in the context of this thread...) Sounds to me like Dory was a Poisson d'Or before a none-too-bright art department decided she needed to look more exotic

Hmm. I'm no piscophile, but aren't goldfish freshwater? Kind of awkward to have a freshwater fish in a movie largely set in the ocean.

iampunha
05-31-2003, 04:01 PM
I think they pretty much set themselves up for awkwardness with having the fish talk, Miller;)

Larry Mudd
05-31-2003, 04:02 PM
I'll let the author of The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0064408558/qid=1054415219/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0688352-7208852?v=glance&s=books) field that sticky one:I used to read this to classes, and some scientific kid would say, "Mrs. Byars, goldfish can't live in salt water." And I'd say, "Listen, I'm the boss of this book, and if I want Bubbles to live in salt water, Bubbles will live in salt water." I love being the boss of a book. :D

asterion
05-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Can I toss in some only somewhat relevant Simpsons quotes? Such as

People don't do that sort of thing with fish. and Follow me to the Springfield Aquarium.

sickboy51
05-31-2003, 08:13 PM
[
Awww, wookit the widdle iwwiterate bigot. How cute.

:squish:
:wipe: [/B]

Sorry, couldn´t understnad a single word in that sentence.

Scylla
05-31-2003, 10:08 PM
I took my daughter and saw it, today. Pretty damn good, even if I was in a sold out showing with a gazillion screaming kids.

FWIW Ellen De Generes did an absolutely astoundingly good job. Her and Willem DaFoe's voice acting stole the show, IMO.

Satisfying Andy Licious
05-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Wait a minute! They say Jesus was a fisher of men, and all those Jesus people have fish on their car. If fish make you gay, then...

Jesus was gay!
I think Jesus was gay. All the scribes and pharisees were trying to nail him.

Helen's Eidolon
05-31-2003, 10:45 PM
So, um, nitpicky question: since when is Alan Cumming gay? His imdb biography has him listed as formerly married to a woman, and romantically linked to Saffron Burrows.

Doomtrain
05-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Satisfying Andy Licious
I think Jesus was gay. All the scribes and pharisees were trying to nail him.

I thought that was the Romans?

Little Nemo
05-31-2003, 11:17 PM
And the worst part of all this? We're going to have to go through it all over again when the Christian Right finds out Albert Brooks is Jewish.

Lisa-go-Blind
06-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LaurAnge
So, um, nitpicky question: since when is Alan Cumming gay? His imdb biography has him listed as formerly married to a woman, and romantically linked to Saffron Burrows.

See here (http://www.temenos.net/profiles/actors/)

SparrowHawk
06-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Sounds to me like Dory was a Poisson d'Or before a none-too-bright art department decided she needed to look more exotic. :smack: Sounds to me like an art department doing its job, just like Degeneres did hers: brilliantly. The job, after all, is to create a particular character - a fish, whose sexual orientation has nothing whatever to do with the story. The art department's job is to make the fish look good, and a gold fish next to an orange clown fish wouldn't be nearly as good looking as the blue Dory. The actor's job is to bring the character to life. And Degeneres did a fantastic job, arguably the best in the show. I mean, isn't the point of the reviewer's idiocy that her sexuality has nothing to do with how well she does her job? The actor represents the fish, not vice versa.

We (the whole theater, in fact) were belly-laughing over the whale episode. It was hysterical. She does poignant well, too, and her timing's impeccable.

Oh, and the aquarium was a salt-water tank. It said so specifically when they read the copy off the new filter the dentist installed.

RTFirefly
06-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by LaurAnge
So, um, nitpicky question: since when is Alan Cumming gay? His imdb biography has him listed as formerly married to a woman, and romantically linked to Saffron Burrows. With a name like that, he oughta be in porn films. Regardless of orientation!

Priam
06-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Alan Cumming self-defines himself as "pansexual" or "omnisexual", and has french kissed an ape to prove it ;).

Doomtrain
06-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Alan Cumming self-defines himself as "pansexual" or "omnisexual", and has french kissed an ape to prove it ;).

Let me be the first to say "Hot monkey sex!" Ha!

Now let me be the first to run for the hills, dodging rotten tomatos...

Freyr
06-01-2003, 02:14 PM

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/weblogs/tperrault/?adate=5%2F14%2F2003

Well of course they will! Doesn't everyone remember how, after Disney's Mulan was released all those kids wanted to be foul-mouthed standup comics? :D

(for those of you who don't get it, the voice of the small dragon in Mulan was done by Eddie Murphy)

Punoqllads
06-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Re: Finding Nemo turning kids on to lesbianismYou say that as if it were a bad thing.Originally posted by Amp
That's why I had to stop watching Will and Grace. They almost turned me into one of them thar homer-sexuals. No, you're thinking of The Simpsons.

Esprix
06-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Freyr

Well of course they will! Doesn't everyone remember how, after Disney's Mulan was released all those kids wanted to be foul-mouthed standup comics? :D

Yes, let's note that there was no outrage that Mulan used the voice talents of Harvey Fierstein - a known homosexual!

:eek:

The horror, the horror... :rolleyes:

Esprix

rjung
06-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Freyr
Doesn't everyone remember how, after Disney's Mulan was released all those kids wanted to be foul-mouthed standup comics? :D
And here I thought the Christian Right's uproar over Mulan was that it exposed kids to the pagan beliefs "those people" followed, such as praying to ancestral ghosts and thinking of dragons (Satan!) as benefactors. :eek: ;)

Larry Mudd
06-01-2003, 10:31 PM
I love this comment from the American Familiy Association (http://www.afa.net/homosexual_agenda/childrena.asp) about Harvey Fierstein:Fierstein is enjoying the work aimed at the younger generation, but his motive is frightening. "It would be wonderful to have a generation grow up not frightened of gay people. We can't reach a lot of their parents, but we can reach kids, and if they grow up without being full of hate, we can have hope," he said.That's just chilling, isn't it?

Priam
06-01-2003, 10:42 PM
I love this comment from the American Familiy Association (http://www.afa.net/homosexual_agenda/childrena.asp) about Harvey Fierstein:That's just chilling, isn't it?

Freaks me out, certainly! Everyone knows Jesus really said "Hate your neighbor. Do bad to those who are kind to you."

Blonde
06-01-2003, 10:44 PM
I saw this post a week ago -- and today I went to see Finding Nemo today with my 5 and 7 year old boys.
The movie rocked, and I am certain that my kiddos had no clue as to the sexual preferences of the voice of the blue fish. All we know is that the scene where's she's doing the whale voice was hysterical.
Great flick. Peace. Love.

Baldwin
06-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I am a lesbian in a man's body.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but Ellen Degeneres has an excellent voice for comedy, with great delivery.

In fact, I hear she's a cunning linguist.

lel
06-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Baldwin

Well, that line has never been uttered here before. What a unique idea!

lel
06-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Upon further reflection, I should have noted that the previous comment was meant to be taken sarcastically.

Doomtrain
06-02-2003, 12:58 AM
Honest question, do these people have nothing to do besides be outraged and horrified? Oh no! The 5000-year-ago Chinese thought of dragons as benefactors! A gay woman is doing the voice of a fish and that'll make you gay! Get a job, people!

Diogenes the Cynic
06-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Didn't Elton John do the music for The Lion King? Will listening to "Hakuna Matata" make a kid gay?

iampunha
06-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Well, you *do* know what "Tiny Dancer" means in gayspeak, don't you Diogenes?;)

:rolleyes: at these people.

Tars Tarkas
06-02-2003, 01:10 AM
i went to a screening of it, and suddenly during the closing credits the entire female audiance started making out with each other! But this is San francisco.... ;)

Doomtrain
06-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas
i went to a screening of it, and suddenly during the closing credits the entire female audiance started making out with each other! But this is San francisco.... ;)

If I'd known about a place with that many lesbians when I was a teenager, let me tell YOU buddy, I would've moved there and been living on the street (just like everyone else, heh)!

iampunha
06-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Tars, for how long during the movie were you watching it? Or did your eyes drift only during the end credits?;)

Freyr
06-02-2003, 02:13 AM
Honest question, do these people have nothing to do besides be outraged and horrified? Oh no! The 5000-year-ago Chinese thought of dragons as benefactors! A gay woman is doing the voice of a fish and that'll make you gay! Get a job, people!

My guess is that they got tired of trying to make the Bible mean what they want it to mean and are now going to work on other pieces of pop culture.

Esprix
06-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Baldwin

HAW HAW!

Now go fuck yourself, you asshole.

Esprix

Slacker
06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Couldn't he only do that if he was a lesbian in a woman's body?

Larry Mudd
06-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Naw, anyone can do it, although the first coupla times produce a nasty blood blister right at the base of y...

Um, never mind.

dorkusmalorkusmafia
06-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Khadaji said:
Will I become a lesbian in a man's body if I watch? I guess I'd at least get a spot on Oprah

I'll happily castrate you. It will get you that much closer. Where's the anaesthesia you ask? You don't deserve it.

Shirley Ujest
06-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Sorry I'm late...so, lesbian casting,eh? I have to say I'm against it. I never liked midget tossing, either.

Lesbian casting...don't tell me those women are fishing now!

I slay myself

Larry Mudd
06-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Well, if you've got a good forward cast with just the right amount of drag, you're bound to get a few nibbles.

(I forget whether that rule is for angling or cabaret. Whatever it is, I know there's fishnet and hip-boots involved.)

I'll be here all week...

caveman
06-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ivylass
Because of course, you can tell someone is gay by just their voice, you know.

gay + radar = gaydar

gay + sonar = gaynar

*ping*

Cap'n! We got a contact 500m off the port bow...it may be a dike! ;)

Cyn
06-03-2003, 10:40 PM
I saw Nemo......I'm still hetero.......(shrug) it was worth a try.

Daydreamer
06-04-2003, 12:56 AM
So the actress voicing a character is a lesbian. A character who has serious mental problems that only start to go a way once a strong male character becomes a part of her life. And a character that ends up living hapily ever after with the father and son male leads.

Precisely where does this pro-lesbian message come from? Because I can't see it.

Freyr
06-04-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Daydreamer
So the actress voicing a character is a lesbian. A character who has serious mental problems that only start to go a way once a strong male character becomes a part of her life. And a character that ends up living hapily ever after with the father and son male leads.

Precisely where does this pro-lesbian message come from? Because I can't see it.

You have to be wearing your special Fundamentalist Christian Blinders to see it. Go ask His4Ever or JerseyDiamond for a pair.

iampunha
06-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Didn't you get the memo from God? No anti-family/anti-conservative person is supposed to succeed in life in any way until they convert to Christianity. At gunpoint, if need be.

TaxGuy
06-04-2003, 09:48 AM
I just thought of an interesting parallel between the article quoted in the OP and the thread Esprix started yesterday where he rails against straight men saying they are lesbians trapped in a man's body:

Both Esprix and the author(s) of the article think that the simple fact that Someone did something that offended them means that Someone intended to offend them because Someone should have known that Esprix/the author(s) would take offense. In other words, they infer intent to offend from the act itself.

They both then want Someone to stop doing the act they find offensive (studios hiring lesbians in children's movies /slash/ a straight man saying he is a lesbian trapped in a man's body).

In this thread the general consensus seems to be that the author(s) is/are being unreasonable, but that's most certainly not the case in Esprix's thread. I find this interesting.

dropzone
06-04-2003, 10:25 AM
There seems to be no furor over the presence of the guy who does Dame Edna in Finding Nemo. Does nobody care that hearing his voice might turn little boys into hideous Australian drag queens?

Shade
06-04-2003, 11:03 AM
gay gandalf (http://home.nyu.edu/~amw243/diaries/)

Esprix
06-04-2003, 11:32 AM

Both Esprix and the author(s) of the article think that the simple fact that Someone did something that offended them means that Someone intended to offend them because Someone should have known that Esprix/the author(s) would take offense. In other words, they infer intent to offend from the act itself.

Did you actually read that thread, or is the hard on you have for me getting in the way?

Go hijack another thread to flame me - I'm sure the moderators will think quite highly of you for it.

Esprix

TaxGuy
06-04-2003, 11:54 AM
(1) My post in this thread is on topic for both this one and that one. In that thread you linked to this one and discussed something someone posted in this one, so I think the two threads are rather linked. I could have started a new thread, I guess, but I didn't think my post warranted it, and you would have whined even more about that. I don't think my post was a hijack of this thread, and I don't think I'm flaming you, per se (meaning that I'm not just trying to get your goat or get you riled up; I actually do think I have a point to make).

(2) Of course I read your thread, I posted in it.

(3) As Manhattan has told me before, let the moderators do the moderatin'.

(4) Do you have anything substantive to say, or are you just going to whine some more about me saying things that you don't agree with?

(5) Finally, as to me having a hard on for you, don't flatter yourself big guy.

Esprix
06-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Anything substansive I have to say I said in the other thread.

Esprix

Shirley Ujest
06-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Wait until the Religious Right find out that the voice of Bruce the Shark is done by none other than Barry Humphries (http://www.dame-edna.com/)

If Finding Nemo doesn't turn you into a Lesbian ( no matter what sex you were born) then you will certainly be a cross dresser by the time the movie ends.

;)

TaxGuy
06-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Esprix
Anything substansive I have to say I said in the other thread.

Esprix

OK, see ya later. We'll probably do this again next week.

moriah
06-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Not to mention Rosie O'Donnell's voice in Tarzan.

Nathan Lane's in The Lion King.

David Hyde Pierce's in Treasure Planet and A Bug's Life and Mighty Ducks (TV).

Sean Hayes's in Buzz Lightyear (TV, one episode)

Jonathan Harris's (of Lost in Space fame) in Toy Story II and A Bug's Life

Emma Thompson's in Treasure Planet.

Peace.
-------------
I wonder if anyone turned gay because of a Rock Hudson movie.

refusal
06-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Is Emma Thompson gay? Maybe that's what happens if you were married do Kenneth Branagh.

Shirley Ujest
06-05-2003, 10:07 AM
I don't think Emma is gay.

She has or had a younger boyfriend and a child with him not so long ago.

gobear
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Emma Thompson isn't gay nor was Jonathan Harris, despite his effeminate demeanor.

On the other hand, Rupert Everett and Tim Curry are (The Wild Thornberrys Movie) as was Nigel Hawthorne (Tarzan).

LibrarySpy
06-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Okay, I saw this thread... and very carefully did not read it until I saw Finding Nemo, thus remaining spoiler free.

I assumed that 128+ posts meant one of the fish was portrayed as having a gay lifestyle from the thread title. I was expecting a major animation studio to take a stand. Saw the film last night. Nada. This is over Ellen's voice?????

I am very disappointed in all of you.

I'm not disappointed in the film though. Very amusing.

Per moriah's post... Emma Thompson has been vocally in favor of gay rights. As has Gillian Anderson, who has flouted her gay-loving self in such child-marketed films as The Mighty and Princess Mononoke.

gobear
06-05-2003, 10:28 AM
This is over Ellen's voice?????

That's the whole point of the thread, that the idiot fundie Xians are in a lather over Ellen's voice converting the innocent to a life of Eddie Bauer shirts, mullets, and power tools.

Iteki
06-05-2003, 10:59 AM
I wonder if the Emma Thompson line wasn't a reference to the Ellen episode where Emma "comes out"? Very funny ep :)

Larry Mudd
06-05-2003, 12:30 PM
I clearly remember E.T. coming out of the closet in 1982.

jeevmon
06-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by gobear
That's the whole point of the thread, that the idiot fundie Xians are in a lather over Ellen's voice converting the innocent to a life of Eddie Bauer shirts, mullets, and power tools.

And yet they seem to have no problem with the fact that Donald Duck and his "nephews" have been going around without pants for most of the last century.

And let's not get started on Bugs Bunny's cross-dressing.

Doomtrain
06-05-2003, 01:23 PM
If you had a big ass like Donald Duck, it'd be hard for you to find pants too. I mean, uh! Ducky got back!

rockle
06-05-2003, 02:11 PM
If you had a big ass like Donald Duck, it'd be hard for you to find pants too. I mean, uh! Ducky got back!
Um, isn't that why Levi's invented Duckers?

Sorry, rim shot. But Dave Barry did once say that Levi's had to call the pants "Dockers" because it wouldn't be a really good marketing idea to called them "pants for the bigger-butted man."

Morrigoon
06-05-2003, 10:50 PM
I guess I should have figured on David Hyde Pierce's being gay... but hey, hope springs eternal. One day an attractive man will appear and he'll actually be STRAIGHT, and NOT married!

Satisfying Andy Licious
06-05-2003, 11:54 PM
Didn't Elton John do the music for The Lion King? Will listening to "Hakuna Matata" make a kid gay?
Come to think of it, "Hakuna My Ta-Tas" sounds kinda smutty.

Freyr
06-06-2003, 02:16 AM
I clearly remember E.T. coming out of the closet in 1982.

No, ET came out of the big flying Victorian Christmas ornament and then followed the trail of reese's pieces that Elliot left behind and had a series of wacky adventures evading the EVIL government scientists whilst looking for a working pay phone ('cause phone cards hadn't been invented yet). Then the flying Victorian Christmas ornament arrived and carried him off to safety.

Apos
06-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Forget lesbianizing kids. This movie is goign to make kids into morons: http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/06/offbeat.flush.nemo.ap/index.html

dropzone
06-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Didn't Elton John do the music for The Lion King? Will listening to "Hakuna Matata" make a kid gay? Nathan Lane once called Timon and Pumba "the first gay couple in a Disney movie."