PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Geographic Tongue?

Ill Logik
06-12-2003, 01:06 PM
My girlfriend has geographic tongue and basically can't handle anything spicier than cinammon gum (seriously). It has become worse lately, as it is also affected by citrus flavors and sometimes alcohol. A couple of doctors just say that there's nothing she can really do about it, but one recommended rinsing with hydrogen peroxide. This helps a little, but I was wondering if anyone else here knows any other remedies for geographic tongue...... and I mean besides only eating bland foods all the time. Thanks in advance for any info!

raygirvan
06-12-2003, 01:17 PM
A Google search finds a couple of references to anti-histamines being helpful in cases where geographic tongue is painful.

buckgully
06-12-2003, 01:30 PM
I've had it for most of my life. They claim it usually goes away after puberty, but I'm 30 now, and today I've got a nice big splotch shaped like Antarctica right in the middle of my tongue.

It tends to come and go somewhat randomly, but certain things trigger it. For me, banannas that have any green on them and anything with coconut oils in it are major triggers.

For a long time I didn't eat spicy things because of it, but when I moved from Wisconsin (bland food and lots of it!) to southern California (Would you like extra Jalapenos on that?) I decided I'd either have to get used to spicy food or starve. I started by getting medium salsas and the like and slowly working my way up to hotter fare. It took a few months, but after that I could eat things with some heat to them without drinking a gallon of milk.

SnoopyFan
06-12-2003, 02:40 PM
What's a geographic tongue?

Is that kinda like Gorby's geographic birthmark? :D

CrankyAsAnOldMan
06-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Oooh, oooh!

My hygienist noted this a few years ago, and I said "WHAT? I have WHAT?!" because it sounded so weird. Last visit she said I still had it, but it wasn't so bad. I don't have any "symptoms" other than a tongue with visibly less "furry" patches on it in certain spots. Hasn't changed my eating. It's not that interesting a condition (in my case) but it does sound kinda cool.

She said it was probably stress that caused mine. That is certainly believable.

SnoopyFan
06-12-2003, 06:39 PM
My mother may have this.

Tell me, do people with GT have foods that burn their tongue really bad?

I've seen a piece of bread send her running for a glass of water before. Even something mildly spicy will set her mouth on fahr (WVian for "fire").

Could this be it?