PDA

View Full Version : Gen-Y Slang

anichamich
04-19-2000, 11:28 AM
I'm looking for up-to-the-minute slang expressions used by 13 to 22 year olds. None refereing to drug use please--I have plenty of those.

Thanks

manhattan
04-19-2000, 11:30 AM
Oh, I think you'll probably get better answers to this question in MPSIMS. I'll move the thread over there for you.

Quadzilla
04-19-2000, 01:05 PM
Oops...I don't know enough people in that age group. Just goes to prove...every generation thinks they discover certain things anew... :o

------------------
Christopher Robin Hood - he steals from the rich and gives to the Pooh.

Talkinsquirrel
04-19-2000, 01:53 PM
Cool Beans my first post!! aright gen y slang...since im 18 i should know this...let me think...yeah..um...so..wassup??

Biggirl
04-19-2000, 02:02 PM
fienin' (liking someone alot and following them around and doing really stupid things to get their attention-- related, somehow, to the word fiend.)

Gill! (Used when someone says something stupid, the word is usually accompanied by smack in the neck.)

Wassup, and 'sup have been superceded by a simple nod of the head, the word Wassup is implied.

Ghetto does mean low class, even to inner city black kids.

Let me have another conversation with my kids, I'm sure they'll tell me more.

Talkinsquirrel
04-19-2000, 02:05 PM
i never even heard of half the slang terms in here....maybe im not "with it"? oh well i guess ill get back to my lint collection...

This one looks like a pickle!!!

Cervaise
04-19-2000, 04:14 PM
Slang is an interest of mine. (Being a screenwriter, natch, accurate dialogue is critical.) These are a few I've collected recently; some of the younger 'dopers can tell me if these are kosher, or if someone's jerking my chain.

1. MULLET: Haircut -- short all over except in the very back, where it's extra-long and slightly wavy. Often seen on 20-year-old Camaro drivers, who are called mulletheads.

2. 411 (usually "four-eleven" but sometimes "four-one-one"): The scoop, the deal, the complete information, as in, "What's the 411?" Comes from the phone number for dialing directory assistance.

3. PROPS: Compliments, praise, and respect, in a general sense. Usage: If you say, "Props to my brother," you may or may not mean he's done something specific to deserve recognition, but you want to single him out as a cool cat anyway.

4. DOPE: The new way to say "cool," as in, "His new car is dope." No longer refers to drugs; that usage seriously dates the speaker.

5. 404: Clueless, mentally out to lunch, as in, "Don't bother, she's 404." Comes from the Internet -- 404 is the error one gets when one tries to pull up a non-existent page.

6. HAIR METAL: Glam-rock music, and/or the groups that play same. Comes from the bandmembers' practice of using copious amounts of hairspray on their lengthy (and usually dyed) locks.

7. BUMP THAT: "Forget about it," or "Forget that."

8. MY DOGS ARE BARKING: This one's easy: "My feet hurt," with the connotation that one has been on one's feet all day, walking or standing.

9. RENTS: Also easy -- short for "parents."

10. SCRUB: Used by women to refer to a guy who doesn't let his lack of job prospects or his unattractive personality prevent him from loudly and aggressively schmoozing desirable women, seeking a date. He thinks he's "all that," but he's obviously a waste of the woman's time. It's the kind of guy who pulls his not-very-dope car to the sidewalk, then hangs halfway out the window with what in his mind only is a seductive grin and says, "Hey, baby, how's it going?" to a complete stranger.

------------------
Movie Geek Central -- Reviews, news, analysis, and more! http://moviegeek.homestead.com

Cessandra
04-19-2000, 05:04 PM
I'm 18 and I've never heard of "gen Y". In fact, my mother keeps trying to convince me that I was part of generation X.

------------------
Cessandra (http://envy.nu/cessandra/profile/)

I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Cessandra
04-19-2000, 05:09 PM
I have heard ghetto, gank, mullet (thanks for explaining this one to me, though! I had no idea what some girl meant when she tried to insult my fiancÚ's hair by calling it a "mullet." Obviously she was misinformed on the definition as well.), 411, props, dope, rents and scrub, but with the exception of 411 and scrub, I didn't realize that they were recent terms.

------------------
Cessandra (http://envy.nu/cessandra/profile/)

I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

KarmaComa
04-19-2000, 05:10 PM
Put 'welfare' along with 'ghetto', as in my brother saying, "Andrew, your fucking apartment is so welfare. You have an Ottoman made of pizza boxes and duct tape!"

I also say 'word', i.e. affirmative, quite a lot, though I think it went out with NKOTB, of whom I was never remotely a fan.

mouthbreather
04-19-2000, 05:15 PM
Karma,

I started saying "word" again recently. No, I was never a NKOTB fan. I just like the "That's so 1989!" facial expressions people give me when I say it to them.

------------------
That movie taught me some important lessons in life. 1. I can build a robot that loves me. 2. I can reanimate my dead girlfriend by jamming bits of metal and silicon into her skull. Both are lessons I use on a daily basis...

Johnny Angel
04-19-2000, 06:05 PM
My young brother uses pimp and swank as generic positive modifiers.

Cervaise wrote:

8. MY DOGS ARE BARKING: This one's easy: "My feet hurt," with the connotation that one has been on one's feet all day, walking or standing.

I know this one goes back to at least the 1950's. I've seen an ad for shoe inserts based on this very premise from a 1959 issue of Saturday Evening Post. The term must have been a familiar one at that time.

There are many online slang dictionaries, but a lot of them are pretty light on context, and often old, old stuff is described as new. But one of the more interesting sites I've seen is the Slang page at Vox Communications (http://www.voxcommunications.com/).

ignatiusjreilly
04-19-2000, 06:21 PM
"Gucci" is the opposite of "Ghetto"

"We had the Gucci seats at the baseball game"

"Rock Star" can also be used as an synomym for "Gucci", but I don't know how Gen-Y that might be.

mouthbreather
04-19-2000, 07:44 PM
I use "rock star" for the primo parking spot.

Pull up to the meglo-mart, and with 47 square miles of parking you get the one right next to the front door.

"Rock Star Parking!"

SwimmingRiddles
04-19-2000, 07:54 PM
I am at the plesent age to be able to claim both gen X and y, depending on the definition.

RAND: short for random. As in "That guy is SO rand. He keeps talking about the A-Team. Rand!" As in strange, uncalled for, etc.

. (DOT)com: self explainatory: "You are SO annoying.com."

I can't think of anything else right now. Feh. (that one's mine, not a generational thing...)

------------------
A little persistance goes a long way. Announcing:

"I go on guilt trips a couple of time a year. Mom books them for me." A custom made Wally .sig!

Joe_Cool
04-19-2000, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Cessandra:
I'm 18 and I've never heard of "gen Y". In fact, my mother keeps trying to convince me that I was part of generation X.

Yeah, how is it that anybody born from 1945 until 1960-something (spanning over 20 years) is a "baby boomer"... anybody born from then until mid-70s (about 15 years) is "gen-x" and people 5-10 years younger are "gen-y"??? generations get exponentially shorter? does that mean "gen-z" spans only 5 years, while "gen-aa" is only 2.5?

"Hey, dude, I'm all gen-bt!"

"No way, that's so ghetto, I'm gen-bt and I'm 12 and a half minutes older than you! You're gen-cv!"

So any random, progressively smaller age group that can be targeted separately by advertisers is a new generation? what happens when the generation gap reaches the planck time? Do ages spontaneously cease to exist? Do all generations suddenly run together -- no longer obeying observable laws of physics -- and collapse in on themselves, forming a temporal black hole from which nothing except generation-oriented advertising can escape?

sheesh. gimme a break.

------------------
Joe Cool
-----
There are no dangerous weapons.
Only dangerous Men.

Joe_Cool
04-19-2000, 09:08 PM
by the way, I'm not ripping on the OP. I'm ripping the concept.

more slang: Hood-rat. Means kids who run around trying to look really ghetto and driving cheesy low-rider-wannabe cars, going out of their way to try to talk either in ebonics or as much slang as they can possibly fit in. Also kids who try really hard to look like they're from the 'hood (ex. the mean streets of brooklyn) when they grew up in a high-rise apartment building on central park west, courtesy of their stock-broker parents.

dpr
04-19-2000, 10:19 PM
I was pretty certain Gen X kids are those born in the 70s while Gen Y kids are born from 1980 onwards.

We can't even get our definitions straight.

Another word though:

"umfriend" a friend you're having sex with without indulging in a proper 'traditional' relationship. They get the girl/boyfriend privileges without the responsibility.

Comes from the introduction to family.. "This is Rachel, she's my... um... friend"

------------------
The right to be heard does not automatically
include the right to be taken seriously

Nacho4Sara
04-19-2000, 11:47 PM
Oh, Can I help you with this one!! Nineteen year old gen-Yer to the rescue!

LUNCHIN' = acting crazy, being a jerk

SNAP! = Awesome, cool, usually NOT accompanied by the finger action.

CLASSIC = stylish, "Gucci," hip, awesome

HEAD = short for "pothead" i.e. "Smoke much, head?"

ROLLIN = doing e (ecstacy)

HORSIN = doing special K

CHILL = cool

GAYLY FORWARD = instead of straight, even for heteros - so PC! i.e. "Don't turn left yet, we go gayly forward a few more blocks"

MUCH = at the end of sentences, with sarcasm i.e. when dining with a sloppy eater, say "Eat out much?" or "Use napkins much?" Must be said with emphasis at the end "CH," drawing the sound out a little.

DIVA (see: BLACK CHOCOLATE)

BLACK CHOCOLATE = a black OR white person with attitude (also: DIVA)

CRACKER = a cool black person. Ironic...get it much?

BLACK COFFEE = hot black man

MUSTACHE = oral sex on a woman

TRUDAT-TRUDAT = that's right (said quickly)

SPELUNKING = oral sex on a man (I don't really get this one, but hey...)

GHETTO FAB = so ghetto it's cool

WITCH DOCTOR = scary Goth person (also: FREAK POCKET)

FREAK POCKET = group of scary Goth people i.e. "look at that freak pocket over by Hot Topic!"

CONTEMPO = teeny bopper adjective (refers to the store Contempo Casuals) i.e. "Listen to NSYNC much, Contempo?"

Hope this helped!!

Johnny Angel
04-19-2000, 11:59 PM
Nacho4Sara wrote:

CLASSIC = stylish, "Gucci," hip, awesome

I can cite at least one use of this term from `Gen-X' culture -- it is used in the movie Sixteen Candles.

HEAD = short for "pothead" i.e. "Smoke much, head?"

I once met a woman in her thirties (5 years ago) who mentioned that this term had fallen out of style since she was a kid.

Mullinator
04-20-2000, 12:03 AM
Felch. Used as a verb.

I constantly hear teenagers talking about "felching this" or being "felched by that."

------------------
Coming soon to a sig line near you!
Relive the mundane highs, the flaming lows, and the pointless posts in between. Announcing the debut of the best of Mullinator.

Because it's not just a sig, it's an adventure.

mouthbreather
04-20-2000, 12:09 AM
I think she'll need a definition for that, Mully. :)

Quadzilla
04-20-2000, 12:42 AM
"Ghetto" : I was introduced to this by my roommate from Omaha, NE. It is used in a derogatory fashion to indicate that something is of a low quality or not quite what it was pitched to be. Example: This printer is SO ghetto. It keeps eating my paper. ...OR... This dorm is ghetto. Everyone smokes and comes in drunk on Tuesday nights.

"Gank": to take, probably illegally or against established rules. So you can "gank" some paper for your printer from a friend (not illegal)...or you can "gank" an orange from one of the Mizzou dining halls (illegal, according to Campus Dining Services).

Hope this helped you!

------------------
Christopher Robin Hood - he steals from the rich and gives to the Pooh.

mouthbreather
04-20-2000, 12:46 AM
FWIW, my friends (now 26-28 years old) used "gank" all the time growing up. That one is not specific to Gen Y.

Rilchiam
04-20-2000, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Cool:
Yeah, how is it that anybody born from 1945 until 1960-something (spanning over 20 years) is a "baby boomer"...

That grinds my gears, too. "Baby boomer" was a term coined to describe a specific group of people. GI Joe came home in 1945, married his stateside sweetie, and they set up house in Levittown. Baby boomers are only the first wave of postwar projeny; the term does not extend to anyone who owned a first pressing of a Beatles album.

------------------
"Hush, village idiot!"

ignatiusjreilly
04-20-2000, 09:32 AM
I'm not going to debate the size of the generations, but from my personal experience as a volunteer in a local high school, I can say that I definitely can see a difference between myself and my friends (born in 1974; high school in early 90's) and kids who are in high school now.

I mean, they're much more similar to me and my generations than they are to my parents, but their culture and slang and dress, why familiar to me, are decidedly different. I can just tell that I'm older and from a different generation.

Man that's scary. I'm getting (relatively) old :(

And my hair is falling out, too. ARRRGGHHH!

ignatiusjreilly
04-20-2000, 09:34 AM
eek

"WHILE familiar to me..."

Cervaise
04-20-2000, 11:50 AM
Joe_Cool wrote:
"No way, that's so ghetto, I'm gen-bt and I'm 12 and a half minutes older than you! You're gen-cv!"

FYI, this whole message made me fall out of my chair... :D

------------------
Movie Geek Central -- Reviews, news, analysis, and more! http://moviegeek.homestead.com

malaka
04-20-2000, 01:27 PM
Hmmm...most folks I know refer to a good parking spot as "Kostanza" (sp?), after the Seinfeld character of the same name. He would always brag about his up-close parking spots to Jerry.

iceprincess
04-20-2000, 01:46 PM
Schnock and Crikon (spelling?) are used as an exclamation. The same way you would use damn.

Flutterby
04-20-2000, 02:54 PM
Well I always thought Gen X was the kids of the Baby Boomers and Gen Y was the kids of Gen X. So with the way things are looking with all the new drugs and everything there are still Baby Boomers being born at least according to my def. And with the earlier pregnancies as well Gen Y is getting a hold. So *shrugs*

But on to the def's

Def(plural def's): easy Definitions

Fubar: Fucked up beyond all recognition used when your car breaks down or your comp gets screwed up. "My comp's fubar"

Comp: short for computer

Um I've never been up much on slang and mine comes mostly from online but I hope those ones help.

------------------
Never run from anything immortal, it attracts their attention.

Brought to you by the Amazon woman of Canada.

ignatiusjreilly
04-20-2000, 02:59 PM
WOW! Generation Y was around in WWII? Now things are so totally FUBAR I need to go get a drink...

(What a SNAFU... ;) )

Suo Na
04-20-2000, 04:04 PM
Completely unrelated to the OP, but that's why they call this MPSIMS.

Gen-X can't be the kids of Boomers, 'cause by every definition I've ever seen I'm Gen-X, and my parents were pre-boom. And they weren't that old when I was born.

------------------
This post is made of 100% recycled electrons

SwimmingRiddles
04-20-2000, 04:19 PM
A generation has two meanings. One is the context of familial generations, ie: two generations ago would be my grandparents. It also as a cultural meaning, ie: Talkin' bout my ggggggeneration. My parents are Boomers, my older sister is Gen X (28) my younger sister (15) is smack dab in the middle of Gen Y, and I am somewhere in the middle. However, the majority of my friends are Gen X, my last roomie is 26, my older sister is my best friend, so I am much more X than Y. That goes for chromosomes, too, :D

------------------
A little persistance goes a long way. Announcing:

"I go on guilt trips a couple of time a year. Mom books them for me." A custom made Wally .sig!

cazique
04-20-2000, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Cool:

more slang: Hood-rat. Means kids who run around trying to look really ghetto and driving cheesy low-rider-wannabe cars, going out of their way to try to talk either in ebonics or as much slang as they can possibly fit in. Also kids who try really hard to look like they're from the 'hood (ex. the mean streets of brooklyn) when they grew up in a high-rise apartment building on central park west, courtesy of their stock-broker parents.

My friends and I have taken to calling these types "suburban homies." Perfect name, wish i had come up with it.

(being from the suburbs myself, but not really fitting the description above, i like to distance myself from it as much as possible...)

-z

D Marie
04-20-2000, 05:11 PM
Re: Hood-rats, suburban homies.

My brother (age 19) refers to these individuals by combining the handle of a well-known rapper with a stereotypically white-boy name: "DJ Jazzy Trevor," "Grand Master Colin."

I dunno if he made it up.

------------------
Those who do not learn from history are condemned to fail the class. --A WallyM7 creation

Kupek
04-20-2000, 05:16 PM
There should be a law against people from different generations trying to learn each other's slang. No matter how hard they try, no matter what they say, the always end up sounding stupid.

Olentzero
04-20-2000, 05:18 PM
OK, the 'suburban homies' one dredged up a memory from visiting my gf (now Mrs O) in Pennsylvania.
We're driving along and at the stoplight a suburban homie pulls up alongside us, radio blaring, bass boosted, cap on backwards, the whole nine yards. As he pulls away we notice he's got a Kansas license plate.
"Wow," Mrs O mused. "No place like homeboy."

------------------
All I wanna do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are...

mouthbreather
04-20-2000, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by D Marie:
Re: Hood-rats, suburban homies.

My brother (age 19) refers to these individuals by combining the handle of a well-known rapper with a stereotypically white-boy name: "DJ Jazzy Trevor," "Grand Master Colin."

I dunno if he made it up.

Nope. My GF calls the white homiez (note spelling with 'z'--placed to give me extra street cred) "DJ Jazzy Trvor" all the time.

Avumede
04-20-2000, 05:48 PM
the latest Gen-Y slang:

"The Bee's Knees" - totally heller cool... "that car is the bee's knees"

"The Cat's Pajamas" , "Swell", "Nifty" - the most hip variants of the Bee's Knees.

"a-hoy, a-hoy" - the most cool way to answer the telephone.

What, you say, these have been used before?

Bucky
04-20-2000, 08:32 PM
Here's some from my students (both college and high school)

Babylon 5--to start with a good idea that just turns into crap. "That date was really Babylon 5!"

Zeebloinked--to get so angry that it's funny to others.

Code Yellow--identifying someone as gay when the person identified doesn't really know it yet. "Michael is Code Yellow."

Baywatching--to waste time in the hopes of seeing hot bodies, especially while watching TV.

Pokemoned--when a young adult is treated as though a small child. "My rents Pokemoned me again, they got me an N'Sync CD for my b-day."

Green soup--vomit, especially after drinking too much.

Offstage--out of it.
Backstage--part of the inner circle.

Clark Kent--as in "he's such a Clark Kent." Someone who could be much cooler but doesn't seem to know how.

Sprite--used to describe efforts at defining Gen Y (or Gen X), based on the "image is nothing" sprite commercials.

Bucky

Johnny Angel
04-20-2000, 10:44 PM
Avumede wrote:

the latest Gen-Y slang:

"The Bee's Knees" - totally heller cool... "that car is the bee's knees"

"The Cat's Pajamas" , "Swell", "Nifty" - the most hip variants of the Bee's Knees.

Circa 1930.

"a-hoy, a-hoy" - the most cool way to answer the telephone.

This was, I've heard, the old way telephones were answered, way back in the beginning, before `Hello' came in vogue.

Old slang does crop up as supposedly new slang, and I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with the T.V. show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I read an article about how the main writer on the show plays around a lot with new coinages and digs up a lot of old ones.
http://www.verbatimmag.com/Sum99.html http://www.verbatimmag.com/Aut99.html

Bucky wrote:

Babylon 5--to start with a good idea that just turns into crap. "That date was really Babylon 5!"

Such a usage sounds like a good way to get into a fight around the college students I know. People get into that show pretty seriously. Or maybe that's the point, eh? In that case you might also want to try, "Oh my God, that's so first edition!"

UFO_Charlie
04-20-2000, 11:00 PM
>TRUDAT-TRUDAT = that's right (said quickly)

Just to clarify this one... The word is not actually 'trudat'. This expression comes from 'true that', i.e. recognize that as truth, i.e. that is true! It became bastardized into slang: true 'dat. Later, it has become the 'trudat' we all know and love, but it should be noted that it's not a completely fictional word.

------------------
--
***UFO_Charlie***

--
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is
purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."

-Stephen Hawking
--

Lexicon
04-20-2000, 11:08 PM
Lexicon of Gen-XY vernacular, by Lexicon.

fly-describes something that is good, like a girl that looks sexy or a car that looks good.

dope- new word for cool.

money- similar to fly, only more so. Can be applied more universally.

betty-same as babe or chic, only more respectful.

baby- same as babe or chic, only not so respectful, used between guys, usually.

harsh-[b/]usu used to describe an overreaction.

[b]shenanigans- desribes a situation in which some strange things occur as a result of an individuals or groups actions.

fiend- an addict, as in "I am a straight dope fiend" can be conjugated to "fiending" as in craving what one is a addicted to.

jones very retro, this term means the same thing it always has.

porn- something that has intrinsic value due to rarity and shock effect, or an occurence that is very dramatic. The dark side of something or someone.

porn-star- a drama queen, not to be confused with the popular clothing line.

-of death something that is very hard to endure or tiresome. Something to be feared.

antics- the behaviour of an individual that is usu construed as embarrasing or innapropriate.

rodney king, paint the ground red, smack (one's) bitch up, open a can of whoop ass, beat down, jaywalk, knuckledust, fisticuff- kick someone's ass or get your ass kicked, either way.

swank- as mentioned above, this term is widely varied, but usu can be likened to "swell" or "okay" See word.

word- indicates agreement.
ex.: "Yo that bitch was fly." "Word."

chillin'- relaxing, hanging out, not doing anything urgently.

slippin'- not paying attention to one's surroundings.

ill- in poor taste, usually. Can sometimes mean "funky" as in "Get ill".
Also, "illin'" as in not thinking clearly.

buggin'- being annoying, unreasonable, or otherwise acting like a bitch.

punk, punk-ass, punk-ass bitch- someone not worthy of respect, usu because of glaring stupidity or cowardice.

bitch- in addition to the traditional meaning, this term can be applied to anyone who has been cowed, is acting irrationally, or is otherwise acting like a bitch.

chuck, unswallow, ralph, call the dinosaurs, blow chunks, spew, yack- to vomit.

blow, bail, bounce, step, roll- to leave, or continue on about one's business.

Audi- used in "I'm Audi," to indicate that you are leaving. See 5000

5000- goodbye, see you later.

so- indicates a level of severity beyond other terms, usu "so wrong" or "so not cool" or "so not ready for that"

deal- cope.

skank- a lady of low moral standing.

choad- various uses, usu a very stupid individual, but technically the area between one's genitals and anus.

gank- well defined above, and can also be used to indicate imminent harm, or even death.

shorty- a child.

bust- let loose with, such as bust a rhyme, or bust a cap.

hang- compete with as in "you can't hang with me" and also as in to spend time with "hang with my boys."

bangin'- variant of fly, as in "her body was bangin'".

kickin'- can be good, like a kickin' system. Can be bad, as in a smell that's kickin'.

rank- something repugnant or disgusting.

sweet- exclamatory to indicate pleasure with an outcome or description of a situation or impending events. Meaning is usu varied by dipthong influx.

I am spent for now, I will try my damndest to remember some more.

------------------
You listened to me? Haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know shit?

neuro-trash grrrl
04-20-2000, 11:20 PM

I was under the impression that "betty" meant a skater's girlfriend or someone who wanted to be a skater's girlfriend, whose role it is to sit around and watch her boything while he skates, and was not respectful in the slightest. Then again, maybe I'm just old.

------------------
Here lies Pierre de Fermat. Unfortunately, there is not enough room on this tombstone for a proper epitaph.

KarmaComa
04-21-2000, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by mouthbreather:
I use "rock star" for the primo parking spot.

Pull up to the meglo-mart, and with 47 square miles of parking you get the one right next to the front door.

"Rock Star Parking!"Like, uh, mix up your slang much? From what I understand, or at least in my circles, rock star is used to describe behavior which is rowdy, arrogant, and disrepectful to an extreme, making it a very enjoyable indulgence. A 'rock star' park is one where you occupy as many spots as possible by parking diagonally across pull-in spots, usually following a dramatic lap of the parking lot. Of course, this is generally done in reasonably bare lots, cause hey, we aren't REALLY rock stars, right?

mouthbreather
04-21-2000, 12:22 AM
Holy cow, Karma, image that!

Two people might not actually have the same definition for a slang word? Whoda thunk it??

BTW, I am a rock star. Did you ever see Kajagoogoo's "too shy" video? At 2:48 into it, they pan into the crowd. That guy with the weird hat??? HELLO, recognize him??? That's my mailman's dog's previous owner's dentist's next door neighbor. Yup, I'm big time, all right.

No pictures, please.

KarmaComa
04-21-2000, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by mouthbreather:
Holy cow, Karma, image that!

Two people might not actually have the same definition for a slang word? Whoda thunk it??Well if you don't know what rock star means, you obviously have no grasp of the English language! Like, DOY!

SwimmingRiddles
04-21-2000, 12:27 AM
It's not Gen-Y, but when I am greatful to someone, I say in a quiet voice: "Hey, thanks a lot," then in a LOUD voice, while flashing the devil/rock hand gesture: "You rock. HARDCORE!" I dunno, it amuses people. My little sister has gotten so tired of it, though, that she's taken to countering with "As opposed to..." Hey, she's 15. ::shrug::

Ukulele Ike
04-21-2000, 12:46 AM
How many of you guys are just making these up?

Johnny Angel
04-21-2000, 01:29 AM
Lexicon wrote:

fly-describes something that is good, like a girl that looks sexy or a car that looks good.

Fly in the sense of hip goes as far back as the 1830's -- in fact, it predates hip.

dope- new word for cool.

Flappers 2 Rappers: American Youth Slang has this listed under 70's and 80's.

money- similar to fly, only more so. Can be applied more universally.

There exists an earlier variant of this word meaning one's preference. e.g. "That's my money." "He's the man for my money."

80's.

jones very retro, this term means the same thing it always has.

Yeah, but what ever happened to skag jones?

swank- as mentioned above, this term is widely varied, but usu can be likened to "swell" or "okay" See word.

Partridge suggests it's probably from the German Schwang meaning in fashion. It entered english around the turn of the century.

word- indicates agreement.
ex.: "Yo that bitch was fly." "Word."

80's

slippin'- not paying attention to one's surroundings.

My old man used to say this. It's a short cut for "I must be slippin' in my old age."

Johnny Angel
04-21-2000, 01:35 AM
Oh, and, plus, in addition:

Jones -- this is listed in Maurer's Narcotics and Narcotic Addiction which covers data gathered from 1935-1973.

mouthbreather
04-21-2000, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by neuro-trash grrrl:
I was under the impression that "betty" meant a skater's girlfriend or someone who wanted to be a skater's girlfriend, whose role it is to sit around and watch her boything while he skates, and was not respectful in the slightest. Then again, maybe I'm just old.

That's the way I always heard it.

Biggirl
04-21-2000, 09:49 AM
Lexicon says:
------
shorty- a child

In my neck of the 'hood, shorty is your girlfriend.

Beaming-- Acting stupid (as in dumb, not stoopid which is good). Comes from drug slang. Someone smoking crack is said to be "beaming", as in Beam me up Scottie.

Backed up-- Does not mean constipated. It means you are tough. Evolved from "I got back up" meaning people who will take my side, to its current form "I'm backed up." meaning don't mess with me.

Jeannie
04-21-2000, 10:39 AM
Okay, these are ones that my sister uses. She is 19 years old as of today.

"Hoopty car"-- An old, beat up piece of junk. As in, "Hey, check out my new hoopty car! My dad got it for a thousand bucks."

"Red-Headed Step-Child"-- Total dork who just doesn't have a clue. I think it borders on meaning "retard." As in, "What were you thinking? You're such a red-headed step-child!"
NOTE: I have no idea why the step child has to be red-headed. Apologies to any redheads.

"Bunk-ass"-- Totally lame. As in, "I can't believe I wasted money to see that movie. It was bunk-ass."

"All That"-- Something pretty damn special. Used to take people down a notch. As in, "Oh, you really think you're all that? Well, you're not!"

"And a bag of chips"-- Used with "All That." If someone is especially conceited, they think of themselves as "All that--and a bag of chips."

Those are the ones I can think of right now. When I see her tonight, I'm sure I'll be reminded of more.

------------------
Homepage: www.idreamofjeannie.com (http://www.idreamofjeannie.com)
Location: I'm still stuck in this damn bottle in Cocoa Beach, Fla.
Interests: Getting Major Nelson in trouble, getting Major Nelson out of trouble
--Custom profile courtesy of UncleBeer
-------------------------
I never hate myself in the morning. I sleep till noon.
--Custom sig line courtesy of Wally

Trout Mask Replica
04-21-2000, 10:53 AM
Tight: Denotes a close friendship, as in 'Me and him are tight'. Also used as a term for musical proficiency, as in 'Yeah, Eminem's tight'.

Muggin: Drunk and looking for a fight.

Dub: Spoiled rich college student, usually female.

No doubt: Signifies general agreement with a statement.

------------------
TMR
If you believed in yourself, and tore enough holes
in your pants, there was always a mist-filled alley
right around the corner.

Wendell Wagner
04-21-2000, 11:37 PM
Jeannie,

We discussed the term "red-headed step-child" on another thread. The meaning that was discussed there was "something that was rejected in embarrassment". The idea was that a husband might discover that his wife was cheating on him when he sees that the new baby has red hair, which neither he nor his wife has. This meaning of "a dork" must be an extension of the old meaning.

h_thur
04-22-2000, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Trout Mask Replica:
Muggin: Drunk and looking for a fight.

[/B]

Muggin' around here is slang for kissing.

This kid I used to date was on the tail end of GenX and his favorite words were [b]phat[b] and [b]pimptomatic[p], both meaning cool.

h_thur
04-22-2000, 12:06 AM
Well, count me as UBB impaired.

Trout Mask Replica
04-22-2000, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by h_thur:
This kid I used to date was on the tail end of GenX and his favorite words were phat and pimptomatic, both meaning cool.

I've never heard 'pimptomatic', but I've heard 'pimpin'', which has much the same meaning. In online slang, 'pimping' is promoting your own work.

------------------
TMR
If you believed in yourself, and tore enough holes
in your pants, there was always a mist-filled alley
right around the corner.

Johnny Angel
04-22-2000, 01:10 AM
If there's any point to gathering a list of slang of a particular generation, we must pay attention to the extent to which terms are actually unique to the generation. That teenagers still say `Tight' in reference to a close relationship may be data worth noting, but given that those teens' grandparents proabably still use that term in exactly the same sense, it behooves us to strike it from the list of Gen-Y slang.

Wendell Wagner
04-22-2000, 06:26 AM
What do you mean that the term "betty" means "a skater's girlfriend"? How many times would you have a chance to use a term like that? Or are you saying that you're using it in a figurative sense to describe any woman who don't seem to have anything better to do than to gaze in awe at anything her boyfriend does?

Manda JO
04-22-2000, 07:50 AM
What do you mean that the term "betty" means "a skater's girlfriend"? How many times would you have a chance to use a term like that?

Quite a bit, if you are a skater. Most slang stats out as the group-speech of a fairly specialized group and then spreads, or is spread by the media, to the larger culture. Another example of this is the way spcialized computer terms have become common (although these days "computer users" are less of a distinct group than they were ten years ago).

Doobieous
04-22-2000, 08:02 AM
Here's some terms I use. I think i'm gen Y, i guess.

tight - in this sense it means cool. "Yo, that car was tight!"

ugly - something stupid, or dumb. I think it's a better alternative to "that's so gay": "dude, that show was UGLY!"

chickenhead - usually used in reference to women, but i've seen it used for guys

herb - in reference to someone who smokes so much weed that's all they care about. Or just a general idiot.

pigeon - the alternate term for scrub. I havent heard this one very much at all

ghetto mobile - a car that needs so much repairs, or has broken parts. Like mine (the back right window doesnt roll up. I call it my ghetto mobile.

rice rocket - modified japanese import cars. Usually anything by Honda. Often covred in decals like "NESUsually driven by asian american teens. The drivers of these cars are usually male and i've seen them referred to as "Rice Boys" (there's a page on the net that mocks these cars).

grub - food. As in "i'm about to get my grub on"

Johnny Angel
04-23-2000, 02:43 AM
Doobieous wrote:

rice rocket - modified japanese import cars.

I have always heard this to refer quite specifically to Japanese motorcycles. If it now applies to cars, I believe that's new.

grub - food. As in "i'm about to get my grub on"

Obviously, grub goes way back (earliest citation 1659, ala Partridge). What's more interesting in a thread about youth slang is the construction "to get one's {meta} on." It is fairly new to me, but I wonder how far back it dates, and from what in-group.

Nacho4Sara
04-23-2000, 06:58 PM
Wow, a lot of this slang is stuff I have never heard...must not be popular in Baltimore.

I collected some more from my friends:

Cracked out = high and acting stupid

Kaopectate = really plain and yucky (I don't get this, isn't Kaopectate a diarrhetic?)

Hella = very

By the way, my friends and I started saying "classic" again after an all night Brat Pack-fest, and it spread like wildfire. I'd like some personal props for that one =) JK.

Nobody says dope or fly anymore. Anyone who does is probably white and would earn the title of "vanilla" meaning white boy acting black. Also "Chocalate on the inside" is popular for that term.

It might just be a Baltimore thing, but "ghetto" has become a compliment, I guess because it's ironic. "Ebonic" means inner-city/welfare - what ghetto used to mean.