PDA

View Full Version : How many cartoon shows can you remember?

Lissla Lissar
10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Inspired by a She-Ra thread, I thought it would be fun to see how many cartoons the Teeming Millions can list off.

Back in high school, a bunch of my friends and I spent an evening listing cartoons from our childhood. I think we finished it off at about two hundred and fifty. I'm sure the Straight Dopers can do much better than that, especially if we include anime.

I'm going for more of a complete list than a competition. I'll (of course) start it off, and most of mine will be 80's ones from my childhood.

Already mentioned in the She-Ra thread are Rose Petal's Place, He-Man, Thundercats, Bravestar, Punky Brewster, and Rainbow Brite. I'll add Fables Of The Green Forest, a cartoon about forest animals generally being forest-y, Dr. Snuggles, the animal physician with a robot maid and a Cloud Camel, The Jetson's (obviously), The Flintsones (also obvious), My Little Pony (I can still sing the theme song), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Silverhawks.

Does anyone else remember an early 80's cartoon called Will'o'the'wisp, or something like that? It had a talking tv. And one about people who made dreams, and were part of a show with Rose Petal's Place and My Little Pony?

DaisyFace
10-18-2003, 08:38 PM
My brother and I have this conversation all the time. And sadly, we watched a lot of TV.

Gummi Bears, Flintstones, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons (not great, but a cartoon, nonetheless), GI Joe, He-Man & She-Ra, Muppet Babies, Transformers, and so many more.

Modern faves include Rocket-Power, Fairly OddParents, and Kim Possible. (Wow, I *still* watch a lot of TV!)

5 time champ
10-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Jonny Quest
The Herculoids
Mi-Tor

Super Six:
1. Granite Man
2. Super Boing
Can't remember the other 4

The Impossibles
Young Samson & Goliath <?>
Dr Clyde Crashcup
Quickdraw McGraw
Magilla Gorilla
Sheriff Bing-Bing-Bing Ricochet Rabbit
Atom Ant
Secret Squirrel
Top Cat
King Kong
Fearless Fly
Superchicken

A few that would be incredibly politically incorrect these days:
-GoGo Gophers
-Dick Tracy

Guinastasia
10-18-2003, 09:50 PM
The Littles
The Snorks
Kissyfur
Wildfire
Jem
The Get-A-Long Gang
Go-Bots
Voltron
Jace and the Wheeled-Warriors
Robotech

And when I was at my gramma's or someone else's who had cable, Danger Mouse.

JimOfAllTrades
10-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Some I remember from my childhood, and a few that I remember from my younger brother watching cartoons when I was a teenager. I don't seem to remember very many from my kids growing up.

Rocky and Bullwinkle
QuickDraw Mcgraw
Top Cat
Yogi Bear
Beanie & Cecil
Popeye
Huckleberry Hound
Felix the Cat
Woody Woodpecker
Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck
The Flintstones
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Superman
Mighty Mouse
Tom & Jerry
Underdog
The Lone Ranger
Disk Tracy
McGilla Gorilla
Mr. Magoo
Touche Turtle
George of the Jungle
The Jetsons
Captain America
Heckle & Jeckle
Spiderman
The Beatles
The Jackson 5
Space Ghost
The Mighty Heroes
Pink Panther
Inspector Gadget
Tennessee Tuxedo
Alvin & the Chipmunks
Johhny Quest
Scooby Doo
Fat Albert

Brad Pittiful
10-18-2003, 10:04 PM
brady bunch
marine boy
astro boy
speed racer
droopy dog
couageous cat & minute mouse
top cat
squiddily diddily
secret squirrel
tennessee tuxedo
bug bunny and all related to warner brothers toons
scooby doo
yogi bear
superfriends
superman
spiderman
aquaman
batman
fantastic four

DaisyFace
10-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Smurfs!

CurlyD
10-18-2003, 11:11 PM
RJKUgly named most of the ones I remember from the 50s and 60s, plus

Tom Terrific (and Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog)
Super Chicken
Lairat Sam
Alli Gator
Dudley Dooright
Fractured Fairy Tales (from Rocky & Bullwinkle)

CurlyD
10-18-2003, 11:20 PM
RJKUgly named most of the ones I remember from the 50s and 60s, plus

Tom Terrific (and Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog)
Super Chicken
Lairat Sam
Alli Gator
Dudley Dooright
Fractured Fairy Tales (from Rocky & Bullwinkle)

DocCathode
10-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Lissla Lissar
That would be Dreamcasters.

Everybody Else
For the love of Cecil please post some information along with the name of the show.

Blackstar- An astronaut is pulled into a black hole and enters a world of magic. He lives in a tree with gnomes and fights evil with his Star Sword.

Thundarr The Barbarian- In a post apocalytic future, Thundarr fought evil sorcerer warlords with his friends Ukla the Mok and Ariel the sorceress, as well as his mighty Sun Sword.

Galtar And The Golden Lance- Galtar and friends fight the evil conqueror Tormac with the help of the mystic Golden Lance.

Fantastic Max- With his friends the alien FX and the animated toy man AB, he travels the universe in search of adventure. He owes it all to those four ply diapers and that safety pin.

Monchichis- Imagine if the Smurfs were small monkeys. "Way up in the trees live the Monchichis. Mon chi chi. Mon chi chi"

Droids-An excellent show following the adventures of C3PO and R2D2 before Star Wars.

Ewoks-Guess what this was about. Go on, guess.

The Saturday Supercade- As the name implies, cartoons based on video games OTTOMH
Donkey Kong- Somehow, the writers always worked in a barrel throwing scene.
Q-Bert-Always a scene where he stuffed a ball in his shnozz to fight Coily, the bully snake, or another menace.
Dragon's Lair-This game were the first to feature multiple paths to victory. The cartoons incorporated two segments in each story where the action would stop and the announcer would give us a list of what Dirk the Daring could do. Then we would see how the three choices played out.
Pac Man- His wife was named Pepper. Power Pellets grew on trees.

Dungeons&Dragons- Based on the classic role playing game and one heck of a lot of fun.

The Hulk-The actor who provided Dr Banner's voice for this toon went on to appear in the Star Trek Next Gen Pilot "Encounter At Far Point.". And to voice an animated roll of toilet paper in ad for Banner toilet tissue. Seriously.

Flash Gordon- Filmation used an extensive library of suitably cheesy sound effects and gave Flash a pink dragon side kick.

Tarzan-Filmation used the same sound effects library. His chimp was named Nikemah. Other Dopers have informed me that the name Cheetah was used only in the films, and Nikemah was the name used in Burroughs original books.

Defenders Of The Earth- Phantom, Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, and a wonderfully updated Lothar, along with their kids fought Ming the Merciless, his army of robots, and his men of frost. Once per day, by ancient jungle law, the Phantom could call upon the power of 10 tigers.

Hometownboy
10-18-2003, 11:45 PM
For us incredibly ancient specimens

Crusader Rabbit with Rags the Tiger, I believe one of the very first made-for-TV cartoons and, IIRC, was the product of some of the folks who later made Rocky & Bullwinkle

Winky Dink, whose gimmick was that your folks could buy a sort of transparent plastic gizmo to fit over the screen that you could draw on to help the cartoon character out of tough spots. There was a human host, too

Beanie and Cecil, featuring a boy who wore — you guessed it — a propellor beanie and his buddy, Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent. The campy villian was Dishonest John

By the way, CurlyD's Tom Terrific showed up on Captain Kangaroo. He had an upside-down funnel for a hat and could transform himself into other shapes. He and Manfred were loosely line-drawn, in black and white, with shapes not filled in.

Ruff n Reddy, a very early Hanna-Barbera effort, starring a cat and a dog (or was it two different-sized dogs) and which in at least one story arc, involved some evocative precursors to Jetsons-era robots.

captainQwark
10-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Does anybody remember the Raccoons on the Disney channel?

Bob55
10-19-2003, 12:19 AM
I used to watch these (the first 3 are repeats but I loved them too much to leave out!):

Thundercats
Voltron
Bravestar

Jabber Jaw
The Great Grape Ape
Duck Tales
Garfield & Friends
Carebears (ok I didn't watch it, I promise, but I remember it)
Wasn't Clifford a cartoon about a big red dog?

FilmGeek
10-19-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm terrible with titles...

Did the Snorks have snorkels growing from the tops of their heads?

Danger Mouse was (and is) my favorite cartoon of all time.

Mon chi chi's - had the stuffed animal.
Dungeons and Dragons, Speed Racer.
I'm young enough to have grown up on the Simpsons.
Looney Tunes, of course - Bugs and the gang.
Muppet Babies - um, Muppets, as babies. Clever.

I guess I didn't really add anything useful... but great thread!

DocCathode
10-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by FilmGeek
Did the Snorks have snorkels growing from the tops of their heads?

You bet they did! All Star and the rest of the gang lived underwater and spent their time ripping off the Smurfs and Archie. Even as a child, their frequent use of fire irked me. Then I saw underwater torches on one of Jaque Cousteau's many adventures.

Count Duckula-When the count is killed, his ashes can be reanimated under the right astrological conditions. Unfortunately when Igor ask for the red bottle, Nanny hands him ketchup instead of blood and belladonna. This results in the Count coming back as a cheerful vegetarian instead of a bloodthirsty monster.

The Drac Pack- The sons of Dracula, Frankenstein, and the wolfman(wolfie's son transformed when he saw any moon-pictures, cartoons, models etc)

GraveDale High-Rick Morranis was the only normal human in a school of monsters. 4 GraveDale High kids' meal toys were released by Burger King.

TeenWolf-Based on the Michael J Fox film. Only his friends Boof and Stiles new his hairy secret. His mom, dad, and grandparents were all werewolves. His younger sister, Lupe, was too young to change and envied the rest of the family.

The Real Ghostbusters-Based on the films. Peter Venkman has the voice of Garfield.

Filmations Ghostbusters- A fat guy. A thin guy. A gorilla in a fedora. A talking car. A sexy timetraveller. A talking time hopper. A recurring gang of baddies that made no sense EG Scared Stiff the robot ghost! WTF?

Monster Force-An elite squad of monster hunters. The team included Frankenstein and a man who was partially infected with lycanthropy.

bmoak
10-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Well, this probably isn't in the spirit of the thread, but in the interest of spreading knowledge, I suggest going to this site (http://yesterdayland.elsewhere.org) for cartoon lists. Just click on the "Saturday Morning TV" section and pick your decade. You'll find lists and info for pretty much every cartoon ever made.

This is a mirror site/archive for the new defunct yesterdayland.com, which was pretty much THE reference site for cartoons/kidvid (and other nostalgia-related stuff).

bmoak
10-19-2003, 01:07 AM
That should say "now defunct yesterdayland.com"

Rabid_Squirrel
10-19-2003, 05:11 AM
I was a major TV junkie as a kid:
- Jason and the wheeled warriors (dunno, it was watchable)
- Transformers (none of this Armada rubbish)
- Smurfs (everyone's favourite)
- Technoman (My First Anime)
- Conan the barbarian (neat action/adventure)
- Captain N (Nintendo marketing 101)
- Dungeons and Dragons (geek in the making)
- Mighty Orbots (That theme song rocked!)
- Gargoyles (great storylines)
- Sports Billy (wasn't even sporty, go figure)
- Thundercats (used to watch it until they took it off for being 'too violent')

Lissla Lissar
10-19-2003, 10:00 AM
I suddenly remember James Bond, jr. I don't think I ever watched it. There was one called (Something) and Sebastian about a boy in the Alps (I think) and his big white dog. Watched it religiously. The Little Prince- very loosely based on the book.

Now I have the Tranformers theme stuck in my head.

Thanks for the title, Doc. It's been bothering me for years. Well, on and off. Not, you know, continuously.

There was one called something like The Adventures of Simon or Simon Draws or something, with a theme song that went, "Well, you know my name is Simon/ And the things I draw come true..."

The New Archies, which I remember as sucking badly. Barba-Papa- friendly shape-changing amorphous creatures. When they changed shape, a narrator said, "Clickety-click, Barba trick!". Astro Boy, which was my first exposure to anime. Hercules, with his centaur pal, whose only job was to run around saying, "Hey, Herc! Hey, Herc!" very annoyingly.

acrossthesea
10-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Hometownboy
Winky Dink, whose gimmick was that your folks could buy a sort of transparent plastic gizmo to fit over the screen that you could draw on to help the cartoon character out of tough spots.

My Dad had told me about watching this show when he was a kid. My grandparents wouldn't buy him the plastic sheet, so he drew on the tv screen itself!

These may have already been mentioned, but:

Shirttails
The Wuzzles
The Popples
Kidd Video
Heathcliff

Lissla Lissar, maybe the one with the dream creating people you're thinking of was Moondreamers? I don't remember exactly what the show was about, but I had a bunch of those dolls. They seemed to be people who lived in the sky. Each doll came with a charm you could wear, and one of the characters was a bear named Ursa?

There seems to be a huge amount of stuff about 80's cartoons, and since I was a kid then I can remember those, but can anyone who was a kid in the 90's tell me what the popular 90's cartoons were? I can't even think of one other than Ren and Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead, but those were more for adults than young kids.

Because I have young kids, I am well aware of the modern cartoons, which include:

Rocket Power, Hey Arnold, Franklin, Sagwa, Arthur, the Berenstain Bears, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Cat Dog, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Clifford, Rugrats, the Wild Thornberrys, As Told By Ginger, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Samurai Jack, Dora the Explorer, I Am Weasel, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
10-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Marine Boy ( My first Anime)

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron. (The only cartoon theme that didn't suck.)

Star Trek: The Animated Series (I wish they'd do a remake.)

Shazam ( Yes, there was a briefly-existing animated show. No, I'm not mixing it up with the live action show.)

The Adventures Of Calamity Jane (first Western cartoon in years, very interesting art style.)

Star Blazers

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
10-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah--Buck O'Hare And The Toad Wars.

bmoak
10-19-2003, 12:14 PM
I'll try to avoid repeating shows listed above (and just mention shows I liked).

George of the Jungle-
George, George, George of the Jungle
Lives a life that's free.
George, George, George of the Jungle
Watch out for that tree!

Underdog-How can you not like a hero who spoke in rhyming couplets and whose secret identity was Humble Shoeshine Boy?

Josie & the Pussycats-
Josie and the Pussycats
Long tails and ears for hats!
What else needs to be said? (Except that Archie comics screwed Dan DeCarlo.)

Hong Kong Phooey-Kind of an Underdog for the 70s, with kung fu exploitation mixed in. He was a janitor who would change into Hong Kong Phooey by diving into a file cabinet, drive around in the Phooeymobile, and consult the Big Book of Kung-Fu for martial arts tips. Made memorable by the voice of Scatman Crothers.

Jana of the Jungle-Filmation's distaff Tarzan, who ran around the Amazon. They went to some lengths for authenticty, so no lions or elephants in the Amazon jungle. She wore a razor-sharp ring necklace that she would through like a chakra.

Star Blazers-
We're off for outer space.
We're leaving mother Earth
To save the human race.
Our Star Blazers!

I'd probably remember the show a lot more clearly if it hadn't been on at friggin' six in the morning.

RealityChuck
10-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Clutch Cargo (Unforgettable because of SynchroVox, which superimposed real lips over the character's faces)
Space Angel (less well known than Clutch, same bizaare effects)
Hoppity Hooper (Jay Ward's least well known creation)

Katisha
10-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Lissla Lissar
There was one called (Something) and Sebastian about a boy in the Alps (I think) and his big white dog. Watched it religiously.

Belle and Sebastian -- hence the band name... ;)

DocCathode
10-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by acrossthesea

Lissla Lissar, maybe the one with the dream creating people you're thinking of was Moondreamers? I don't remember exactly what the show was about, but I had a bunch of those dolls. They seemed to be people who lived in the sky. Each doll came with a charm you could wear, and one of the characters was a bear named Ursa?

Dirty Diapers! This is what I get for going with an OTTOMH feeling and not bothering to search. Across the sea is correct. Again, OTTOMH, "I glow for Moondreamers and Moondreamers glow for me. Something something magical something, and for me they glow magically". In my defense, somebody did say "It's time to dreamcast" every episode.

Bosda
Are you referring to the Shazam and Isis Power Hour? Cartoons of Isis and the various Marvel characters (Captain Marvel {Often incorrectly called Shazam. Shazam was actually the name of the ancient wizard who gave the Marvels their powers}, Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr.) Were mixed with cartoons and live action of the students of Hero High (Captain Cool etc).

bmoak
10-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by acrossthesea
There seems to be a huge amount of stuff about 80's cartoons, and since I was a kid then I can remember those, but can anyone who was a kid in the 90's tell me what the popular 90's cartoons were? I can't even think of one other than Ren and Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead, but those were more for adults than young kids.

The 90s were past my prime cartoon watching, but the big shows of that decade included Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, Doug, Pepper Ann, Freakazoid!, Earthworm Jim, Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, Gargoyles, Reboot, Exo-Squad, Batman Beyond, Recess, Pirtates of Dark Water, and Eek! the Cat.

Johnny Bravo
10-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Nobody's listed the old batch of high-quality Nicktoons? For shame!

Rocko's Modern Life.
Angry Beavers.
Aaaaah! Real Monsters.
Doug.
Rugrats (sorta).
Kablaam!

bmoak
10-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor

The Adventures Of Calamity Jane (first Western cartoon in years, very interesting art style.)

Here's a page on Calamity Jane (http://yesterdayland.elsewhere.org/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1681.php)

Odd that you'd remember it as it had a VERY short run (3 weeks).

kaylasdad99
10-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Please forgive me if I'm dredging up horrible memories for anyone, but a comprehensive list is more important than anyone's delicate sensibilities, so I submit:

Abbot and Costello
The Three Robonic Stooges

"Robonic?" I hear you cry. Yup. Sorry about that.

TPWombat
10-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Does anyone else remember an early 80's cartoon called Will'o'the'wisp, or something like that?
Yes!!
Willo The Wisp (http://www.willo-the-wisp.co.uk/)
:)

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
10-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by DocCathode

Bosda
Are you referring to the Shazam and Isis Power Hour? Cartoons of Isis and the various Marvel characters (Captain Marvel {Often incorrectly called Shazam. Shazam was actually the name of the ancient wizard who gave the Marvels their powers}, Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr.) Were mixed with cartoons and live action of the students of Hero High (Captain Cool etc).

Yes indeedy.

Although I do belive that later on, the split the thing into 2 separate shows via editing.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
10-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bmoak
Here's a page on Calamity Jane (http://yesterdayland.elsewhere.org/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1681.php)

Odd that you'd remember it as it had a VERY short run (3 weeks).

I remember it because it was very cool! :cool:

Quality always impresses your Uncle Bosda.

VernWinterbottom
10-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Heckle and Jeckle, two magpies, created by Paul Terry.

Max & Ruby, new one based on the children's books by Rosemary Wells.

Andy Panda. . . also maybe from same studio a family of hillbilly bears.

Woody Woodpecker, ha-ha-ha-HAA-ha, by Walter Lanz

How about all the Disney's: Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc.

Popeye.

I'm sure that more will come to me. . .

Lissla Lissar
10-19-2003, 09:40 PM
TPWombat, thank you. I'll have nightmares about Evil Edna now. It was one of those shows that nobody I ever met remembered, like Doctor Snuggles- but i have been vindicated! It exist(s)(ed)!

Belle and Sebastian, of course.

There was a weird Bravestar episode with Sherlock Holmes in it that's haunted me for years. There was some song about world peace and harmony in it that I remember singing for hours. Must've driven my parents nuts.

Babar[/b]. That was great. I still have one of the books somewhere. [i]Paddington Bear. The Aladdin and Little Mermaid shows.

Guinastasia
10-19-2003, 09:53 PM
I remember Shirttails! In fact, I still have my two little mini stuffed animals-Pammie and Rick (a panda and a raccoon, respectively)

DocCathode
10-19-2003, 10:04 PM
TPWombat, thank you. I'll have nightmares about Evil Edna now. It was one of those shows that nobody I ever met remembered, like Doctor Snuggles

I remember Dr Snuggles. I recall an episode in which he had to make a diamond making machine. Cosmic cat then instructed him to use the diamond to make a rainbow making machine.

And of course, the theme song 'If you have troubles, call Doctor Snuggles.'

Mighty Max-Max finds a magical baseball cap that opens portals in space. With the help of the ancient Lemurian chicken(fowl actually) Virgil and the mighty viking warrior Norman, he fights evil. The show was drawn in a distinctive style and had excellent writers.

Phantom 2040- I expected this to suck. It doesn't. The Madison corporation has a secret plan involving world domination and androids(which were called biots on the show). The curent Phantom's costume includes a cloaking device, grapple lines for Spidey like swinging, and a laser gun. Somehow, the whole thing worked. The design was reminiscent of Aeon Flux. Much better than it sounds. Imagine trying to describe Samurai Jack without it sounding laughably cheesy. "The whole world is my jungle now!"

Exosquad-In the future humans create a genetically engineered race called Neo Sapiens. They rebel. Exo squad was equipped with the standard power armor suits. Again, excellent writing. (I consider these three to be the highest quality cartoons ever made for the syndicated market). Characters could actually develop, grow and even die. One episode had a captain taking his ship into the midst of an enemy fleet and setting off the auto destruct in attempt to secure the escape of the human ships and to atone for his past failures.

DragonFlies- Based on a series of pull-the-string-and-the-toy-launches-and-flies-like-a-helicopter toys. It was standard humans fight standard ugly bad guys stuff. It had two redeeming features- Nocturna, she was green, clawed, fanged, winged, and damn sexy. And the themesong was very well sung. "Watch the skies for Dragonflies! DragonFlies, maximize! Before the world grows dark and dies, the only hope is in the skies! Watch the skies for DragonFlies!"

Guinastasia
10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Oh, How could I forget Kidd Video? My cousin and I used to play that all the time-I was always Carla and she was Glitter (was that the little fairy's name?)

I loved that show!

DocCathode
10-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Note To Self-

Send Guinastasia to the Flipside, where she'll be my musical slave forever.

I'd like to see VH1 do a behind the music on Kidd Video.

Aceospades
10-19-2003, 10:41 PM
wasin't there a show where a kid had a bag that held everything in it. i think i remember him pulling out a ladder out of his carpit bag looking luggige.

DocCathode
10-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Ace-

Wakko Warner sometimes did this.

AFAIK the shtick originated with Felix the Cat and his Bag Of Tricks.

saramamalana
10-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Wow, this and the She-Ra thread is a total flashback for me.

There was a cartoon that I don't think was mentioned, I don't know if it was "The Getalong Gang" or something having to do with a caboose. I just remember the characters hung out in a caboose and there was a moose character wearing a varsity sweater (I think) that I had a doll of.

Or maybe I'm thinking of two different cartoons altogether? Help!

DocCathode
10-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Saramamlana

No the caboose was indeed on the Get Along Gang. Bunch of elementary school age anthropomorphic animals with a clubhouse in a caboose.

Pandamonium- A vilain who was an evil voicem, a pair of hands, and a purple cloak. A set of magic crystals everybody wanted. And three pandas who could combine into a superpanda.

Foofur- A blue dog and his friends have uninspired adventures.

Pink Panther And Sons- Those kids were some funky colors.

Rude Dog And The Dweebs- The Rude Dog logo comes to life as a dog with attitude. He hangs out with a bunch of dogs he rescued from the dog catcher.

Street Frogs- "Who can do a hip hop better than a frog can? Streetfrogs!"

rjung
10-20-2003, 01:10 AM
I'd need a month of vacation time to list all the cartoon shows I remember. :)

Soup
10-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Two from the '90s:

Sam and Max

The Tick

Sublight
10-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Geez, nobody remember Davy and Goliath?

Adamcomic
10-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Simpsons
Family Guy

Ranger
10-20-2003, 07:55 AM
You guys pretty much hit all I can recall from the 50's and 60's. There was an animated Beatles cartoon show which probably was a precursor to Yellow Submarine. King Features, I think.

Did someone mention Tom and Jerry yet? It was previously mentioned, but Beanie and Cecil was one of my favorites. I remember a green plastic Cecil head/neck that came filled with bubble bath powder. When I was done bathing with it, a little surgery by my dad resulted in a Cecil Sea Serpent Bank.

I seem to remember a Green Lantern cartoon. Of course, various other DC heroes had their moments on the tube. Anyone mention Mighty Mouse yet?

Lissla Lissar
10-20-2003, 08:13 AM
I never saw Davey and Goliath, but my husband frequently repeats bits of a Mad sketch about them. It goes like this:

Goliath (deep, stupid voice): Davey. Davey! It's time to cleanse the city, Davey!

Davey (high, screechy voice): oh, I don' wanna!

Goliath: Come on, Davey.

Davey: Die, sinners! (comes screeching down stairs with a firethrower or something.

Odd.

Of course, the old Spiderman, and the original X-Men.

BobLibDem
10-20-2003, 09:20 AM
How about Peter Potomus, Tom Slick, and the Archies? Tom Slick was cool, racing in the Thunderbolt Greaseslapper saying things like "there's no such word as give up, 'give up' is two words".

slortar
10-20-2003, 10:22 AM
I never saw Davey and Goliath, but my husband frequently repeats bits of a Mad sketch about them. It goes like this:

Goliath (deep, stupid voice): Davey. Davey! It's time to cleanse the city, Davey!

Davey (high, screechy voice): oh, I don' wanna!

Goliath: Come on, Davey.

Davey: Die, sinners! (comes screeching down stairs with a firethrower or something.

Odd.

Of course, the old Spiderman, and the original X-Men.

Goliath: GOLIATH NEEDS BLOOD!!!!

Shodan
10-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Speed Racer.

Mightor the Barbarian.

The Lone Ranger.

Hoppity Hooper.

Too many others to mention.

Regards,
Shodan

Balance
10-20-2003, 11:40 AM
We haven't run out yet. Here are a couple that haven't been listed:

Pirates of Dark Water--A prince from a ruined land, a pirate, an ecomancer, and a flying monkey try to gather magical treasures that will enable them to put an end to the "dark water", a menace that drags everything it encounters into the depths and saps the life from the land.

The Funky Phantom--An incredibly bad Scooby Doo ripoff, featuring a ghost-hunting gang that included a ghost. I only remember seeing one episode; I hope that means that someone saw what a travesty it was and prevented the studio from making any more.

People haven't been posting them, but I saw no prohibition on modern toons for the list, so here are a few in their own section:

Courage the Cowardly Dog--A small purple dog with bad teeth defends the oblivious Muriel from the horrors that plague Nowhere, KS.

Dexter's Lab--A young genius creates scientific wonders in his secret lab, only to have them wrecked by his older sister.

Jackie Chan Adventures--A surprisingly entertaining cartoon version of Jackie Chan, fighting to keep various magical artifacts out of the hands of the forces of darkness. It seems to stay unusually faithful to the various Asian mythologies it draws on (although it will wander away for a joke, like stealing a chiang shi's left sock for a banishing spell).

Justice League--A reasonably entertaining superhero show featuring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter. Kicks all kinds of Superfriends a$$. Little heavy on the angst sometimes, though.

Teen Titans--More superheroes, this time the (new) Teen Titans: Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy (Changeling), Raven, and Cyborg. Very anime-esque style, and considerably more lighthearted than Justice League, but it has some serious themes, too.

zamboniracer
10-20-2003, 03:14 PM
One of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid was one that was banned from the airwaves by the government for being just a 30 minute cereal commercial Linus the Lionhearted (http://www.toontracker.com/linus/linus.htm) .

At the time I thought the cartoons themselves were just hilarious. Little did I (or they) know that the show was just a precursor to the infomercial.

As the link shows the show was about Linus the lion king of the jungle and the wacky hijinks between him and his animal pals. Of the show's cast only Sugar Bear survived banishment. He remained the spokesbear for Sugar Crisp (later Super Sugar Crisp) cereal for a number of years.

Little Plastic Ninja
10-20-2003, 06:54 PM
I don't believe anybody's mentioned "Beverly Hills Teens."

I vividly remember the opening animation, but not, oddly (and thankfully!) the opening song.

DocCathode
10-20-2003, 07:42 PM
I hated Beverly Hills Teens.

Not quite as Bad was
Maxie-. A Barbie-esque chick, with Midge-esque and Ken-esque friends. "Maxie. Maxie. The gilr on the go. Maxie. Maxie. In her own tv show. Good times are happening in Maxie's world." The show had some redeeming features. Mostly Maxie's breasts.

C.O.P.S-Fighting crime in a future time. Mostly the show sucked. But one of the guys was a mad scientist with a clear dome on his skull that exposed his brain.

Biker Mice From Mars- They were bad mamma-jammin anthropomorphic mice with My Favorite Martian antennae. They fought a bad guy who was IIRC from Neptune and secretly a fish man. Their April O'Neal companion wore a black mini skirt.

Visionaries- "Visionaries, knights of the magical light. Visionaries, with magical powers they fight. Powers of strength and skill and speed. Powers that accomplish the greatest of deeds. Visionaries, knights of the magical light. As the planet Prismos comes into the proper astrological alignment, the millenia long age of science ends. All their great technology stops working. But a new age of Magic begins. The wizard Marlynn grants 2 groups of knights (the heroic Spectral Knights and the villanous Darkling Lords) powers. In times of great emotions, they are transformed to animals.

Toxic Crusaders-Based on the classic Troma film, Toxic Avenger. Toxie was joined by Major Disaster, Nozone, Junkyard, and Headbanger. Together they stopped the alien Dr Killemoff from drestroying the environment.

Ultimate Muscle-Yeah, the cartoon only debuted in America a few years ago. But the Muscle toys were a big fad in the 80's.

ddgryphon
10-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Just a couple I haven't seen listed that I always liked -- and probably a couple I didn't:

Milton the Monster
The Hair Bear Bunch
Wacky Racers
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
The Ahrabian Knights
8th Man
(Do Puppets Count?) Fireball XL 5
Shazzan!
Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har
Wally Gator
Yogi Bear
Huckleberry Hound
Lone Ranger
Planet of the Apes
Ant and the Aardvark
Autocat and Motormouse
Pixie and Dixie
Snooper Cat and Blabber Mouse
Eek! the cat
The Mighty Heroes
Pink Panther
The Inspector
Atom Ant
Secret Squirrel
The Bear Cats
Here Comes the Grump
The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour
King Kong
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Rocket Robin Hood
Fantastic Four
Spider-man
Superman/Superboy/Batman/Aquaman incarnations
Underdog

acrossthesea
10-21-2003, 03:13 AM
TPWombat, thank you. I'll have nightmares about Evil Edna now. It was one of those shows that nobody I ever met remembered, like Doctor Snuggles- but i have been vindicated! It exist(s)(ed)

I remember Doctor Snuggles, vaguely. Wasn't that the show with a character named Granny Toots or something?

SlickRoenick
10-21-2003, 05:42 AM
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT

Intaglio
10-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Odd School that no-one has mentioned

The Superfriends, Challenge of the Superfriends - with and without the Hall of Doom - better with though.

Chilly Willy

Droopy

Sherman and Mr. Peabody

New School that no-one has mentioned

South Park

Beavis and Butt-Head

sqweels
10-21-2003, 11:42 AM
One of my earliest memories of any kind is a snibbet from The Beatles saturday morning cartoon show from about 1967. Oddly, for the next 20 years--despite the omnipresence of Beatles trivia--I saw nary a reference to it to the point where I bean to doubt it had existed. Then in the 80s MTV re-ran some episodes and I was vindicated. (I'm fairly certain it had nothing to do with Yellow Submarine, Ranger.)

Also barely-remembered from about that time is a show called "Tomfoolery" or something like that, with a bunch of bizarre animal characters. The only bit I remember is Chicken Lickin' thinking that the sky was falling because a jigsaw puzzle piece labeled "piece of sky" fell on his head. I'd like to see some more info on that show.

And of course a few years later was The Groovy Goolies and the song "Chick-a-boom" by "The Mummies and the Puppies". Doncha just love it?

sqweels
10-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Speaking of the Fantastic Four, ddgryphon, why in God's name did they substitute Herbie the Robot for the Human Torch?

VernWinterbottom
10-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Aceospades
wasin't there a show where a kid had a bag that held everything in it. i think i remember him pulling out a ladder out of his carpit bag looking luggige.

Wasn't it Felix the Cat who pulled things out of his bag?

DocCathode
10-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by VernWinterbottom
Wasn't it Felix the Cat who pulled things out of his bag?

Does anybody read my posts anymore?

VernWinterbottom
10-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Does anybody read my posts anymore?

Sorry, Doc, I missed it.

Oh, if we're calling Davey & Goliath a cartoon, even though it was animated figurines, then we should mention Gumby , dammit!

Somebody probably mentioned that somewhere, too. . .

BJMoose
10-21-2003, 01:28 PM
I seem to recall something that featured an unnatural relationship between an aerobatic rodent and a bipedal ruminant. Now what was that called? . . .

Frankly, RJKUgly's list is so close to what I could produce that I won't add to it (except to mention that I don't recall anything entitled "Disk Tracy" - was that the first cyber-detective?).

Based on the shows he lists, I confidently guess that he (she, whatever) is two years younger than I - i.e., he is 46 years old.

DocCathode
10-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BJMoose
I seem to recall something that featured an unnatural relationship between an aerobatic rodent and a bipedal ruminant. Now what was that called? . . .

I never really thought about this before. But Bullwinkle J Moose is a ruminant. I'd say he's domesticated rather than wild. If close inspection of his feet revealed them to be cloven, I could add him to my list of kosher toons.

I'd like to serve a banquet of the following-

roast Sheep In The Big City

Cow burgers
fried Chicken
(of Cow and Chicken)

he wears a disguise to look like human guys, but he's not a man, he's a chicken soup Boo.

form of a whitefish

shape of brine.

Mmm. Wondertwin gefilte fish.

Morelin
10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Did we mention Speed buggy? Speed Racer? ANd the Laff-A-Lympics, that was great.

DaToad
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Betty Boop
Bosco
Ren n Stimpy
Foghorn Leghorn
Dudley Dooright
Fractured Fairytales
Chip 'n Dale

SlickRoenick
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Pound Puppies.

Cabbage Patch Kids

ddgryphon
10-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by sqweels
Speaking of the Fantastic Four, ddgryphon, why in God's name did they substitute Herbie the Robot for the Human Torch?

They were afraid of too many unsupervised kids with access to lighter fluid or gasoline and matches.

Plus, Herbie did better in the focus groups.

You know how that goes. . .

Lissla Lissar
10-21-2003, 10:22 PM
My word, I didn't expect this thread to do this well in my brief absence. I remember Rocket Robin Hood! I shouldn't have forgotten that!

DocCathode
10-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Rambo And The Force Of Freedom-each episode started with Rambo helping a wild animal.

Tales From The Cryptkeeper- The classic EC comic, by way of the HBO series, sanitized for kids. Each story was rewritten to have a clear moral. Nevermind that the original EC comics with all their wonderful horror and gore were intended for kids and sold back in the 50's.

King Arthur And The Knights Of Justice-A 30 minute add for an uninspired line of toys. Each knight had a symbol on their breastplate. By activating the symbol, they could transform it into an actual object.

Highlander-exceeding loosely based on the movie. In a post apocalypic future, a kid goes around gathering knowledge and power from Immortals so that he can defeat the evil Immortal who rules the land.

Paw Paw Bears- Imagine if the Smurfs were an Indian tribe composed of bears. "When you get in trouble, and this goes double, call the Paw Paw bears. Paw Paw Bears. Paw Paw Bears.

Project Geeker-In a cyberpunk future Noah, the talking dinosaur, and Lady Macbeth, a hacker cyborg, steal the prototype for project GKR. Possesed of amazing physical capabilities(shapeshifting among them) GKR was designed to be the ultimate soldier. Unfortunately, they stole him before programming was complete. Not only is he not interested in fighting, he has the mind of a 4 year old. Noah was voiced by the big guy from Everybody Loves Raymond.

Little Shop- A cartoon based on Little Shop of Horrors. Audrey 2 is not an alien, but a survivor of the prehistoric Vegezoic age.

Guinastasia
10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
I still have my stuffed Woolma the Lamb from The Get Along Gang. I LOVED that show!

Guinastasia
10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
I sort of remember Beverly Hills Teens. I also remember Maxie, because I had two of the dolls.

Suburban Plankton
10-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I've had a running debate with my wife for years about a show called ***** and Goliath. She remembers the claymation show Davey and Goliath; I've never seen it. But I do remember an animated show with a little boy and his pet cat who would turn into a Hercules-type hero and a lion; I seem to remember it being called Samson and Goliath.

Nobody else I know remembers this show, but I have a vivid memoty of the coloring book I had as a child. Can someone help me, or am I finally losing what's left of my sanity?

JimOfAllTrades
10-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by BJMoose
I seem to recall something that featured an unnatural relationship between an aerobatic rodent and a bipedal ruminant. Now what was that called? . . . Hey Rock! Watch me pull a rabbit outta this hat. Frankly, RJKUgly's list is so close to what I could produce that I won't add to it (except to mention that I don't recall anything entitled "Disk Tracy" - was that the first cyber-detective?).Yeah, cyber-detective, that’s it. :)

Funny, half the time when I try to say “disk space” it comes out as “dick space”. Highly amusing when I’m in a customer’s office. Must be some weird kind of Freudian block that works in both directions, I guess. Based on the shows he lists, I confidently guess that he (she, whatever) is two years younger than I - i.e., he is 46 years old. Very close. Maybe that year and a half in the early 70s I can’t remember accounts for the difference. I’m currently 47, be 48 in a couple of months or so.

And I’m a he. Not that it really matters in the current Dickussion, but just in case any of the cute women on the board are dying to flirt with an old ugly married guy. :)

Askia
10-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Suburban Plankton. Close. Sampson and Goliath.

There are cartoons that make me ache to re-capture my youth and spend obscene amounts of loot on DVDs -- if they existed.

Fat Albert and The Cosby Kids because, y'know, it needs mentioning. I think this concept will do well if you had a bunch of actors and rappers do a live action-PG version set the early 80s. But who do you cast as Fat Albert with Biggie dead?

Deputy Dawg -- Absurdly charming regional cartoon set in the nebulous South with Muskie the Muskrat ("It's possible, it's possible.") Vince the Gopher ("Wha happen? Wha happen?") and The Sheriff ("Hoo doggies!"), along with our hapless Southern Deputy ("Hyuck yuck yuck a-hooooo!").

My favorite episode involves how Vince and Muskie compete with Deputy Dawg to win a 'Laziness Contest." After some outrageous displays of sloth, Deputy Dawg wins First Place because he's trained a worm to bait itself while he's fishing with his toes and reclining by a riverbank. The Sheriff, impressed, walks to them Vince and Muskie as they're lounging under a tree.

Sherriff: Congratulations, boys. You won second prize!

Muskie: That's might generous of you, Sheriff.

Sheriff: Come down to the jail and pick up your prize!

Muskie: Well, me and Vince thank you all the same, but we just don't feel like getting up just yet. Why don't you give the prize to someone else?

Vince: Yeah, yeah. We're sleepy.

Sherriff: That's the laziest durn thing I've ever seen in my life -- YOU BOYS TAKE THE TOP PRIZE!!

Muskie: We still don't want it, Sherriff.

It's so Un-PC it's sick!

The Mighty Heroes With Strong Man! Coo-Coo Man! Tornado Man! Rope Man! Aaaaannnd... Diaper Man!

I strong suspect Dav Pilkey swiped the last one for his "Captain Underpants" series...

saramamalana
10-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Omg, I had a Maxie doll and I thought she was so neat because, unlike Barbie, she had flat feet.

The mention of Beverly Hills Teens (had totally forgotten about that one) reminds me of another cartoon which I don't think was mentioned. I can't recall the name but it was about a high school in space...maybe something like Galaxy High?

DocCathode
10-22-2003, 02:26 AM
OTTOMH

'Amy was the brightest girl in school, not very popular, not very cool. Doyle didn't get a lot from the classes he took. No he just wasn't interested in his books. Now Amy is the sweetheart of the school and Doyle's got a lot to learn here at Galaxy high. Galaxy High. Galaxy High."

Other students included Booey Bubblehead, with a transparent skull and an obsession with rocker Mick Maggers. A nerd with eight arms. 3 Bullies- a red guy with holes in his head, a green space hick, and a small blob. The science teacher was Proffessor Icenstein.

Episodes dealt with the Martian mumps, a Mick Maggers concert, Doyle using an illegal brain booster, the nerd becoming a mannequin, and Doyle falling asleep for 20 years to awaken as a giant.

rjung
10-22-2003, 04:04 AM
What, nobody's mentioned Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos or Mr. T and the T-Force? ;)

(I didn't watch 'em, I just remember hearing about 'em)

Small Clanger
10-22-2003, 04:54 AM
Roobarb and Custard - wobbly green dog and purple cat
Captain Pugwash - the naughty names are a UL
(not Mr Ben that was sooo dull)

Maybe they didn't travel well?

Anyone mention Roger Ramjet? Or was that a sub-prog of Rocky and Bullwinkle?

I suppose stop motion animation doesn't count as a cartoon?

ddgryphon
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Suburban Plankton
I've had a running debate with my wife for years about a show called ***** and Goliath. She remembers the claymation show Davey and Goliath; I've never seen it. But I do remember an animated show with a little boy and his pet cat who would turn into a Hercules-type hero and a lion; I seem to remember it being called Samson and Goliath.

Nobody else I know remembers this show, but I have a vivid memoty of the coloring book I had as a child. Can someone help me, or am I finally losing what's left of my sanity?

I'll verify (http://yesterdayland.elsewhere.org/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1192.php) that for you. I loved that show so much that when it popped up on Cartoon Express back in the 80's I tried to tape a bunch, but what was on Cartoon Express on any given day was anybody's guess.

"Mighty Samson" rode around on a scooter with his pet dog. When transformed the dog became a lion who could shoot beams out of his eyes.

teela brown
10-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Fearless Fly
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo

Obscure Terrytoons characters:

Gaston le Crayon ("Aaaah, Gaston, you've done it again! You are a genius!")
Hashimoto Mouse
Sydney the Elephant
Clint Clobber
Sarge and Gandy Goose
Heckle and Jeckle
Herman and Katnip
Li'l Audrey

ddgryphon
10-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Askia

The Mighty Heroes With Strong Man! Coo-Coo Man! Tornado Man! Rope Man! Aaaaannnd... Diaper Man!

That's the show I was thinking of when I wrote The Super Heroes

Go figure. There were fiveof them -- right? And they were on with Mighty Mouse -- I actually remember having bought a comic book with them in it (I loved funny superheroics Not Brand Ecchs, The Inferior Five and the Mighty Heroes - Yayy!)

Strong Man
Diaper Man
Rope Man
Tornado Man (who was a weatherman in his Secret ID)
Cuckoo Man

saramamalana
10-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks Doc! But what does OTTOMH stand for?

DocCathode
10-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Off The Top Of My Head.

Laser Tag- Villainous Draxon Dreel and his monkey like Skug minions flee imprisonment in the future by coming to the present. Jamie Jaren follows him. Together with the help of her ancestors, she fights Dreel.

Diff T
10-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Super Mario's Super Show

It was about Mario... if you hadn't figured that out yet. It had some live action too. I was the biggest Mario fan at that age. I was a little too old for the show when it aired, but that didn't stop me from seeing it every day.

DocCathode
10-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Monday through thursady were the adventures of the Mario brothers. But fridays were Legend Of Zelda day. Captain Lou Albano played Mario.

Later, they got rid of the live action Mario, Luigi, and Ratigator sequences. They replaced them with a pair of slackers at "Club Mario". I quit watching the show.

Vlad Dracul
10-23-2003, 02:20 AM
Nobody's mentioned the adventures of the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt??

"Rubik, the Amazing Cube"... this featured Rubik the Cube as a sort of magical genie, who could do anything as long as he didn't have his colors all scrambled. He hung out with a bunch of siblings, one of whom could solve a cube in five seconds while plummeting to his doom.

I don't have a title for it, but does anybody else remember a late-70's show about a cat (live-action) whose thoughts were done in voice-over. When he got in trouble, he would daydream animated adventures which vaguely related to his problem, helping him to solve it. I remember that some of his daydreams were Star Trek rip-offs.

BJMoose
10-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by RJKUgly:
Funny, half the time when I try to say “disk space” it comes out as “dick space”. Highly amusing when I’m in a customer’s office.

Which begs the question, "What, pray tell, is your business?" (Alas, the answer probably won't live up to the potential of the straight line, butcha can't blame a moose for tryin'.)

Frankly, I'm rather tickled that my age guess was so close. What skewed it low was the inclusion of The Jackson Five on your list. I remember the show but don't really recall watching it, probably because it came along about the same time the testosterone kicked in and I discovered matters of greater interest than 'toons.

Baggins111
10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Did Shmoo have it's own cartoon, or was that a character on another HB cartoon?

Did anyone mention Captain Caveman yet?

And how could we forget Inspector Gadget? I think it came on right before or right after DangerMouse

rjung
10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
IIRC, Schmoo was originally on The Herculoids, and got his own show later.

DocCathode
10-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by rjung
IIRC, Schmoo was originally on The Herculoids, and got his own show later.

That was NOT Shmoo. The blob and bloblet on Herculoids did resemble Shmoo to a degree. But they were differences.

Shmoo is chalk white. The Herculoids blobs were green, with a darker green cell membrane around the edges.

Shmoo has whiskers. The Herculoids blobs did not.

Shmoo typically extrudes to pseudopods from its base to use as legs. The blobs on Herculoids typically bounced around like hippity hops.

I do recall a Shmoo cartoon. IIRC it first appeared as a feature in another Hanna Barberra cartoon. You'd get 20 minutes of the main show. and 3 minutes of a seperate Shmoo cartoon (the remaining 7 minutes was left for commercials). The Shmoo cartoon proved popular enough to be given it's own program.

For more Shmoo, read Lil Abner. I hate Al Capp (and considering his extreme political leanings and general hatred of everybody, I'm sure he'd hate me) but I love the strip he created.

Baggins111
10-23-2003, 11:17 PM
DocCathode teaches Shmoo 101. :) Thanks, Doc

[partial hijack??/]
I would like to point out an untapped resource of cartoon shows to this thread: The Holiday Special.

Personally, my Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are not complete without them. With the particular examples of any Peanuts special and the perrenial favorite (although maybe not considered "animation") Rudolph.

I think maybe the reason Charlie Brown / Peanuts is cool for me is because of the Vince Guaraldi. I love the music and it does go so well with the cartoon.

Rudolph. I mean, it's Rudolph, people. How many of us here have NOT grown up with it.

[partial hijack/]

DocCathode
10-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Ziggy AFAIK never had a series. He did have an animated Christmas Special.

The Wacky Wallwalkers also never had a series. But these sticky cephalopods did have an animated special in which they come to earth to discover the true meaning of Christmas.

The Berenstein bears had no Christmas special. This is because they were Jewish. It was still to early for networks to show a Hannukah special (the Rugrats finally did that). So, the bears have a Thanksgiving special. It was a musical. Some lyrics

"You can have your sasquatch, your abominable snowman. My name is BigPaw. I supercede 'em all."

"He could be a prince! He could be a schmoe! He could be just, a regular joe!"

kaylasdad99
10-24-2003, 02:24 AM
I have the feeling the answers to these are going to come from DocCathode.

I have a vague memory of occasionally seeing a cartoon on Captain Kangaroo called Q.T. Hush, about a short private eye who wore a trenchcoat and a deerstalker's cap, and had a dog (similarly attired, IIRC) for a sidekick. In the only memory I have of the show, the good guys were sitting down to a turkey dinner, not realizing that the turkey was stuffed with high explosives. I still remember the dog asking for white meat.

Also, what was the cartoon about the elephant that could magically change his trunk into all manner of just-what-we-needed-type appliances and implements (such as a vacuum cleaner when there were too many fallen leaves around, or a water hose when a fire needed extinguishing). Was he called Twinkles?

Speaking of Terrytoons, the actor who voiced Tom Terrific's arch-nemesis, Crabby Appleton, Lionel Wilson passed away a couple of weeks ago. Most recently he had created the role of Eustace Bagg on the Courage The Cowardly Dog show (currently being voiced by Arthur Anderson, and may I say it's good to know the man had a fallback career to turn to when the whole accounting thing went sour).

ddgryphon
10-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Vlad Dracul

I don't have a title for it, but does anybody else remember a late-70's show about a cat (live-action) whose thoughts were done in voice-over. When he got in trouble, he would daydream animated adventures which vaguely related to his problem, helping him to solve it. I remember that some of his daydreams were Star Trek rip-offs. [/B]

I believe that was:

The adventures of Walter Kitty

ddgryphon
10-24-2003, 09:32 AM
That was NOT Shmoo. The blob and bloblet on Herculoids did resemble Shmoo to a degree. But they were differences.

Shmoo is chalk white. The Herculoids blobs were green, with a darker green cell membrane around the edges.

Shmoo has whiskers. The Herculoids blobs did not.

Shmoo typically extrudes to pseudopods from its base to use as legs. The blobs on Herculoids typically bounced around like hippity hops.

I do recall a Shmoo cartoon. IIRC it first appeared as a feature in another Hanna Barberra cartoon. You'd get 20 minutes of the main show. and 3 minutes of a seperate Shmoo cartoon (the remaining 7 minutes was left for commercials). The Shmoo cartoon proved popular enough to be given it's own program.

For more Shmoo, read Lil Abner. I hate Al Capp (and considering his extreme political leanings and general hatred of everybody, I'm sure he'd hate me) but I love the strip he created.

Apart from the humans on The Herculoids, the animals were:

Gloop and Gleep (the two bloblike creatures)
Igoo the Rock Ape
Tundra (the ten legged triceratops that shot exploding rocks out of his horn)
Zok the flying lizardmacalit thing that shot electric beams out of its eyes and tail

I remember the boys name was Dorno, but can't remember the parents name -- and am reminded again not to work with children or animals.

Early Out
10-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Hometownboy
For us incredibly ancient specimens

Crusader Rabbit with Rags the Tiger, I believe one of the very first made-for-TV cartoons and, IIRC, was the product of some of the folks who later made Rocky & Bullwinkle. You're correct about Crusader Rabbit being the first made-for-TV cartoon, and also about it being a product of Jay Ward, who went on to Rocky & Bullwinkle fame (though with a different animator).

Now, trivia time. Who were the arch villains in Crusader Rabbit? Two of the best names in all of cartoondome:

Dudley Nightshade and his dimwitted sidekick, Bilious Green.