PDA

View Full Version : Band named after Songs/phrases

Ludovic
10-25-2003, 03:23 AM
In the proud tradition of "Albums named after phrases in songs."

Rules:
Song cannot be by the same band (although they can cover it as you shall see.)

A lot of these are questionable, but in my mind they always conjure up the song rather than the actual phrase:

My entries:
Sisters of Mercy (from the song by Leonard Cohen.)
Tragically hip (from Town Crier by Elvis Costello, although i'm sure the phrase was used elsewhere.)
Rocket 88.
Texas is the Reason (from a Misfits song.)
Book of Love.

Lisa-go-Blind
10-25-2003, 03:25 AM
Eric's Trip, after the Sonic Youth song.

Darth Nader
10-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Sister Machine Gun, from Skinny Puppy's Tin Omen (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/skinnypuppy/rabies.html).

A wizard song for thee
10-25-2003, 04:52 AM
Cowboy Mouth is, I'm pretty sure, named after the phrase in "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" by Bob Dylan.

Dryga_Yes
10-25-2003, 06:33 AM
Radiohead, named after the Talking Heads' song "Radio Head".

Baby your mind is a radio
Got a reciever inside my head
Baby I'm tuned to your wavelength
Lemme tell you what it says

Smapti
10-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Toad the Wet Sprocket, from a line in a Monty Python routine:

"Rex Stardust, lead electric triangle for Toad the Wet Sprocket, has had to have an elbow removed following their recent successful worldwide tour of Finland."

Lisa-go-Blind
10-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Dryga_Yes, perhaps the more appropriate quote would be "Hey, Radio Head/ The sound of a brand new world..." (Aw, I'm just jealous because you posted it first.) :)

I read something one time where Thom Yorke said they named themselves "Radiohead" because it was the least annoying song off True Stories.

Exapno Mapcase
10-25-2003, 11:59 AM
The Rolling Stones.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/chronicle5.html
[The text... Brian came up with the name (Rolling Stones). It was a phone call - which cost money - and we were down to pennies... We got a gig at last, so we said, "Call up Jazz News, put in an advert". So Brian gaily dials away - and they say "Who?" We hadn't got a name and every second was costing a precious farthing. There's a Muddy Waters record face down - The Best of Muddy Waters - and the first song was Rollin' Stone Blues. Brian had a panicked look on his face - he said I don't know... the Rolling Stones. That's the reason we're called the Rolling Stones.... Our first gig was... at the Marquee. ]

Horatio Hellpop
10-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Willie and the Poor Boys, a short-lived "super group" featuring Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts and Mickey Gee, named for a throwaway lyric from Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Down of the Corner."

Incidentally, when was "Rolling Stone" first used in a song title?

vl_mungo
10-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Radio Birdman from a misheard ling the song 1970 by The Stooges

Out of my mind on Saturday night
1970 rollin' in sight
Radio burnin' (Radio Birdman) up above
Beautiful baby, feed my love

Tanaqui
10-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Pretty Girls Make Graves, from the Smiths song.

Umm... there was a hardcore band called American Nightmare, from the Misfits song, but they had to change their name.

doctordoowop
10-25-2003, 01:51 PM
The Locomotions, & the Mint Julips after songs. The Hollies after Buddy, Searchers after the movie. Silhouettes after the song- I did a radio show about this once in college- can't recall more,but the number is huge.

interface2x
10-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nader
Sister Machine Gun, from Skinny Puppy's Tin Omen (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/skinnypuppy/rabies.html).

What was really funny is that I read an article on them in 1994 where they were trying to claim that it was from some fiction a friend had wrote about "Brother Bomb and Sister Machine Gun". Yeah, right. It would have been a lot more convincing if I hadn't read an interview with them in Industrial Nation the year before where they were pointedly asked if they got the name from Skinny Puppy and they said "Yeah, from Tin Omen."

To add:

Anything Box - from the book of the same name by Zenna Henderson.

Ludovic
10-26-2003, 01:20 AM
yeah, doctor, which is why I tried to imply that they should be from songs. Although it didnt tend to come out that way. I guess any medium will do. Not just any phrase...hello dave barry :)

Moo the Magic Cow
10-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Burning Airlines, from Brian Eno's Burning Airlines Give You So Much More.
Death Cab for Cutie, from the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band's song featured on the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour video.

voxnihili
10-27-2003, 01:20 PM
godsmack, after the alice in chains song

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.