PDA

View Full Version : Cover versions we have actually liked

spankboy
02-05-2000, 12:17 PM
After Madonna's gawdawful 'American Pie' cover, I was thinking about cover songs that I thought were actually good.

My partial list (more as I remember them) includes (in no particular order):

* Rusty Cage, Johnny Cash (orig. Soundgarden)
* Southern Accents, Johnny Cash (Tom Petty)
* Hazy Shade of Winter, Bangles (Simon & Garfunkel)
* Mrs. Robinson, Lemonheads (S & G)
* I Love It Loud, Phunk Junkees (Kiss)
* Build Me Up, Buttercup, The Goops (Foundations)
* Paranoid, Megadeth (Black Sabbath)
* You're So Vain, Faster Pussycat (Carly Simon)
* Stone Cold Crazy, Metallica (Queen)
* Love Me Tender, B.B. King (Elvis)
* Satisfaction, Devo (Rolling Stones)

Oh, yeah, and pretty much anything by Dread Zeppelin. And I liked the Hole cover of 'Gold Dust Woman', which prolly won't win me any friends.

Conversely, besides the Madonna cover, what's your most hated cover? Pat Boone's 'Ain't That a Shame'? Slayer's 'In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida'? That Mallory chick from Family Ties covering 'Satisfaction' for the movie of the same name?

Your votes??

=sb

------------------
They say the Lord loves drunks, fools and little children.
Two out of three ain't bad.

spankboy
02-05-2000, 12:19 PM
Oh, and if this really belongs in MPSIMS, pls kick it over.

Thx!

-sb

------------------

Cooper
02-05-2000, 12:25 PM
Lenny Cravitz (SP??) cover of American Woman is great, so is Social Distortion's 'Ring of Fire', the Red Hot Chili Pepper's 'Higher Ground'...really there are lots more but those come to mind.

Most hated...Bryan Adam's cover of 'Young Lust' from the Water's Wall Live in Berlin project...I don't care if Roger put him up to it was still awful. Actually, there were probably worse acts on that show (didn't Sinead O'Conner sing 'Mother' or something?), but I like picking on Bryan Adams cause he's such a sissy boy.

Polycarp
02-05-2000, 12:26 PM
The Bangles' cover of 'Hazy Shade of Winter' was a desecration.

On the other hand, I found Guns 'n' Roses' cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" a vast improvement over the original. (Of course, it helps that Axl Rose can carry a tune! ;))

A couple of special cases, for reasons that will become evident: "Unforgettable" was Nat King Cole's signature tune, back in the days when we were listening to him while fighting off the sabertooth tigers. For Natalie to do a re-engineered duet with him was singularly touching. In view of the song's subject matter and the reputed relationship of artist and composer, Ugly Kid Joe's cover of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" was singularly poignant.

Cooper
02-05-2000, 12:34 PM
Allright, you think Axl Rose can sing? Better than Dylan even? I admit Dylan has a lousy voice - but at least he doesn't screech like a castrated rooster.

Ursa Major
02-05-2000, 12:36 PM
Don't stop with "Mrs. Robinson" when talking about great covers by the Lemonheads. Check out "Different Drum" (Linda Rohnstat(sp?)) and "My Name is Luka" (S. Vega)

My all time favorite cover is still Man or Astroman?'s kick-ass version of the Mysterian's "Out of Limits".

Jeannie
02-05-2000, 12:45 PM
Okay, any Michael Bolton version of ANYTHING was a disgrace (including songs that were his originally). Now that THAT's off my chest...
I'm not nuts about Madonna's new "American Pie" either. My husband says the worst cover ever was Ike & Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" (originally done by CCR).
My favorite remake is probably the Fugees' version of "Killing Me Softly."

Clark K
02-05-2000, 12:49 PM
Tina Turner does a wonderful, soulful version of the Beatles' "Help."

Originally posted by Jeannie:
My husband says the worst cover ever was Ike & Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" (originally done by CCR).

I've always liked Ike & Tina's version.

------------------
Up, up and away!

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
02-05-2000, 02:32 PM
Rod Stewart and Ronald Isley's "This Old Heart of Mine," originally by the Isley Brothers.

spankboy
02-05-2000, 02:40 PM
Didn't Rod the Mod Stewart do 'Pinball Wizard'? I think Elton played him in the movie, tho. I'll agree-good cover.

I don't know if they count as 'covers', but the whole Puff Daddy empire has pretty much been built on stuff he stole (Every Breath You Take, Kashmir, et. al.). Oh, how I loathe them.

Oh, yeah, I forgot! Joe Cocker remaking 'The Letter' (Box Tops?!!?)! I love that song!!! And, speaking of Linda Ronstadt, how about 'Blue Bayou'? It takes talent not to bruise an Orbison song, like that Vonda gal did on Ally McBeal.

Mannfred Mann's 'Blinded by the Light' is okay, but 10k Maniacs version of 'Because the Night' didn't float my boat; I liked Patti Smith's better. Oddly enuff, both written by Springsteen, which is odd..

-sb

------------------

spankboy
02-05-2000, 02:42 PM
"Oddly enough...which is odd"

Stupid brain. Needs more caffeine.

-sb

------------------

Drain Bead
02-05-2000, 02:50 PM
This track is pretty hard to find unless you get it on MP3, but Foo Fighters did an amazing cover of "Baker Street." Definitely find that if you're a fan of either the band or the original. I played it for people who had never heard of Foo Fighters but knew "Baker Street" and they loved it.

------------------
"Buffalo Bills? Oh, yeah. The guys that always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory." --WallyM7

Drain Bead
02-05-2000, 02:52 PM
In view of the song's subject matter and the reputed relationship of artist and composer, Ugly Kid Joe's cover of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" was singularly poignant.

Wait...is someone in Ugly Kid Joe supposedly Harry Chapin's son? There's a rumor I haven't heard.

Sam Stone
02-05-2000, 03:46 PM
Best two covers of all time: The Beatles doing "Twist and Shout", and Janis Joplin singing "Me and Bobby McGee".

RTFirefly
02-05-2000, 03:55 PM
Harvey Danger's cover of "Save It for Later", originally by the English Beat.

BS&T's cover of the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil".

Byrds' covers of a bunch of Dylan songs, especially "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Chimes of Freedom".

J String
02-05-2000, 04:15 PM
Deep Purple's "Perfect Stranger's" was covered by Dream Theater afew years ago. And don't laugh, but Dokken's rendition of "From the Beginning" (ELP) is quite good.

Other good covers:
Celtic Frost: "Mexican Radio"
Metallica: "Am I Evil"
Motley Crue: "Anarchy In the U.K."
Lillian Axe: "No Matter What"

------------------
It's a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.

The_Peyote_Coyote
02-05-2000, 04:39 PM
Best: "Hey Joe" "Like a Rolling Stone" and "All Along the Watchtower" -- Jimi Hendrix
"Heard It Through the Grapevine" -- CCR
"What's Goin' On" -- Les McCann
"Little Wing" -- Stevie Ray Vaughn
"Stolen Moments" -- New York Singing Sensations
"Respect" -- Aretha Franklin (even Otis admitted she took it away from him)
"House of the Rising Sun" -- the Animals
"My Favorite Things" -- John Coltrane Quartet
"Angel" -- Rod Stewart

Worst:
"City of New Orleans" -- Willie Nelson. What he does to this song should be a felony.

02-05-2000, 05:10 PM
Problem is, in the 60's & 70's you had a lot of singer-songwriters whose works were often released first or more definitively by someone else:

Examples:
Desperado - Linda Ronstadt vs. The Eagles
Tambourine Man - The Byrds vs. Bob Dylan
Leavin' on a Jet Plane - Peter Paul & Mary vs. John Denver
Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin & Kris Kristofferson
and too many others to think of.

We could make sure we keep this in GD by endlessly discussing which version was THE version...

Good covers:
Shameless - Garth Brooks covering Billy Joel
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston covering Dolly Parton (now there's a visual image for you)

Bad Covers:
Wild World - someone totally forgettable covering Cat Stevens
Total Eclipse of the Heart - ?Nikki French covering Bonnie Tyler

------------------
Sue from El Paso
Siamese Attack Puppet - Texas

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Rousseau
02-05-2000, 05:42 PM
-The three Hendrix covers previously mentioned.
-The covers on Phish's new box set: "Bold as Love" (Hendrix), "Sabotage" (Beastie Boys), "Cry Baby Cry" (Beatles), "Quinn the Eskimo" (Dylan)
- Blues Traveller: "Imagine" (Lennon)
- Nirvana: "The Man Who Sold the World" (Bowie)
- The Wallflowers: "Heroes" (Bowie)
- Just about anything the Grateful Dead ever covered.
- Jeff Buckley: "Hallejulah" (Cohen)
- Joe Cocker: "Just Like a Woman" (Dylan)
- Madonna: "American Pie" (McLean)
Wait, wait, wait, that's not right. Scratch that last one.

------------------
The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

ruadh
02-05-2000, 06:05 PM
The Bongos: "Mambo Sun" (T Rex)
Low: "Transmission" (Joy Division)
Monsoon: "Tomorrow Never Knows" (Beatles)
Chapterhouse: "Rain" (Beatles)
Husker Du: "Eight Miles High" (Byrds)
Galaxie 500: "Listen, The Snow Is Falling" (Yoko Ono)

And FTR I'd just like to say I *hate* tribute albums ...

Persephone
02-05-2000, 06:38 PM
I'm almost 100% positive that The Righteous Brothers' version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling was a cover, but I can't for the life of me remember who originally recorded it.

I think they were the first ones to record it, but I'm not sure. I don't know if they wrote it, though. Hall & Oates covered it in the mid-Eighties, and that version was okay. Well, it wasn't great, but it didn't totally suck.

Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss," on the other hand....well, that one just blew. It blew yaks. Dead, maggot-infested, stinky yaks.

------------------
Changing my sig, because Wally said to, and I really like Wally, and I'll do anything he says, anytime he says to.

The_Peyote_Coyote
02-05-2000, 08:12 PM
Hey, Cristi, the original of the "Last Kiss" sucked canal water, too.

------------------
The Coyote gnaws ....
but he does not swallow.

Kamino Neko
02-05-2000, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Rousseau:
- The Wallflowers: "Heroes" (Bowie)

Ugh.....ughughughughugh!

I hate that one. I hate that one. I hate that one. Crap, crap, crapcrapcrap!

Just had to say that.

------------------
Eschew Obfuscation

nebuli
02-05-2000, 08:35 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm almost 100% positive that The Righteous Brothers' version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling was a cover, but I can't for the life of me remember who originally recorded it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they were the first ones to record it, but I'm not sure.
Maybe the song being thought of was Unchained Melody by Al Hibbler, covered by the Righteous Bros.

RTA
02-05-2000, 08:57 PM
Oh, dear me ... I have NEVER heard a cover I didn't "actually" like. Never. Nnneh-vurr. ALL cover songs are GREAT, even the ones played by the WORST bar bands. I mean it, honest!
My favorites right now?
Face to Face's "Don't Change the Earth" (INXS)
The Lee Harvey Oswald Band's "You Talk Sunshine, I Breathe Fire" (Amboy Dukes) and "Brontosaurus" (Move)
The Neanderthal Spongecake's "Metal Health" (Quiet Riot)

Persephone
02-05-2000, 09:26 PM
Peyote: yes indeedy it did. I don't like car crash songs. Actually, "don't like" is a bit weak when it comes to how I really feel about car crash songs. But this is GD, not the Pit. I'll just say that car crash songs don't just blow yaks--they felch them too.

Believe it or not, though, "Last Kiss" is not my least favorite cover. That dubious honor goes to everyone's least favorite song, "MacArthur Park." That song is soooooo bad, it makes me want to have hot monkey sex with every genius who ever even thought about writing a car crash song.

------------------
Changing my sig, because Wally said to, and I really like Wally, and I'll do anything he says, anytime he says to.

Lawrence
02-05-2000, 09:33 PM
Best live cover I've ever seen/heard: REM doing "Moon River".

Worst (tie): Springsteen singing "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" and every single band that has ever come to KC doing "Kansas City". By the way, they always do the Beatles' version, which is actually a medley of "Kansas City" and another song called "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey".

Rincewind
02-05-2000, 09:50 PM
I tend to prefer whichever version I've heard first. So there are times when I prefer the cover version to the original.

Covers I like.

"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix and U2

"Twist and Shout" by the Beatles

Annie Lennox did an album of covers called Medusa. I like most of the songs on that inluding No More "I Love You's"
Thin Line Between Love and Hate
and Waiting in Vain

Hail Ants
02-05-2000, 11:23 PM
Since nobody's mentioned it, my favorite cover is The Power Station's "Bang-a-Gong", originally by T-rex. They took a goofy little sixties ditty and made it a hard rock classic. Also:

Rob Zombie / "Children of the Grave"
Motley Crue / "Anarchy in the UK"
GnR's / "Live & Let Die" (I'm sorry, but all post-Beatles McCartney stuff sounds like Britney Spears to me)
And who can forget Sid Vicious' "My Way"!

Milossarian
02-05-2000, 11:58 PM
Joe Cocker's cover of the Beatle's "With a Little Help From My Friends" springs to mind.

I always hate it when bands cover a classic song and then do their damndest to sound just like it. What's the point in that?

A great example of a band putting their own spin on a song and making it completely different but still cool (like the aforementioned Cocker) was Toad the Wet Sprocket's slow, acoustic ballad version of "Rock and Roll All Nite" on the "Kiss My Ass" Kiss tribute album.

------------------
"You should tell the truth, expose the lies and live in the moment." - Bill Hicks

02-06-2000, 12:12 AM
As far as same era covers go, I left out Blowin' in the Wind - Peter Paul & Mary vs. Bob Dylan

Good Ones:
Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts (Dylan) by Joan Baez. Who can stand listening to Dylan that long?
Bye Bye Love (Everly Brothers) by Simon & Garfunkel

Bad Ones:
The Times They are a Changin' (Dylan) by Simon & Garfunkel. Dylan was a great songwriter. He was a good emotional storyteller. A great voice he was not. Why Garfunkel felt he had to imitate Dylan's voice is beyond me.

- Sue

Kamino Neko
02-06-2000, 12:33 AM
Having posted about one I hatehatehatehatehate, I feel I must post a few that I do like.

Joe Cocker's 'With a Little Help From My Friends' (Beatles)

Any Bob Dylan song done by any artist other than Dylan.

Guns & Roses' 'Live and Let Die' (Paul McCartney)

Great Big Sea's version of 'End of the World' (REM)

Sheryl Crow's version of 'Sweet Child of Mine' (G&R)

Barenaked Ladies' 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time' (Bruce Coburn)

------------------
Eschew Obfuscation

Kyla
02-06-2000, 01:29 AM
- Rolling Stones' cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" is excellent (as well as being amusing, just for the novelty factor).
- Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" is excellent, although I must admit I have never heard the original.
- Sinead O'Connor's version of "Nothing Compares 2U," clearly by Prince, as no one else would put "2U" in the title of a song.
- Tori Amos' cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is great, just because! Just try to imagine it.
- "Respect"! Aretha Franklin's version is a cover. I think that it was originally written by Otis Redding, whose version was also excellent. Oh, and he did a great cover of "Satisfaction."

------------------
~Harborina

"This is my sandbox. I'm not allowed to go in the deep end. That's where I saw the leprechauns."

Narile
02-06-2000, 01:40 AM
Elton John's Saterday nights allright for fighting cover by the Who is great.

Worst, Erg, so many to choose from.

------------------
>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry....unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

---The dragon observes

Little Nemo
02-06-2000, 01:41 AM
Any cover version by Michael Bolton, David Lee Roth, or Natalie Merchant is bad.

I liked Hole's cover of Gold Dust Woman and the Bangles's cover of Hazy Shade of Winter. And I liked Banarama's cover of I'm Your Venus.

Along with the other Johnny Cash covers mentioned in the OP, I liked his cover of Johnny 99. Even Bruce Springsteen has said he prefers Cash's version to his own.

And of course Barnes and Barnes's cover of
Please Please Me will never be topped.

Shayna
02-06-2000, 01:42 AM
Best:

George Benson's version of On Broadway (originally done by The Drifters or The Platters, can't remember which).

I completely agree with Cooper about Lenny Kravitz's cover of American Woman. That one rocked, too.

Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's Turn The Page.

There are so many more, but I am just drawing a blank right now.

Worst:

Michael Jackson's Rockin' Robin. Maybe I just hate that song no matter who sang it, but his whiney, pathetic excuse for a voice just grates on me.

------------------
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank

aseymayo
02-06-2000, 01:45 AM
I, too, like Joe Cocker's way with a song. "Feelin' Alright" is another good one.

Others worth noting:
Fine Young Cannibals - Suspicious Minds (Elvis)
The Cramps - Lonesome Town (Ricky Nelson - there might be an earlier version, but Ricky's was the first one I heard)
The Ramones - Needles and Pins (Sonny and Cher) and Baby, I Love You (The Ronettes first, but it's been covered several times)

RM Mentock
02-06-2000, 01:49 AM
Like it or love it, Me and Bobby McGee / Janis Joplin.
<font color=#FCFCFC>------------------
rocks</font>

kunilou
02-06-2000, 01:49 AM
There are a lot more covers out there than you could ever imagine. Some of my favorites--

Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower

Tina Turner and Proud Mary

Elton John's Pinball Wizard

Marvin Gaye, Heard It Through the Grapevine

Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Woodstock

And can we count anything by Weird Al?

Hunsecker
02-06-2000, 02:29 AM
Well, my favorite covers that haven't been mentioned yet are:

Chiquitata by Sinead O'Connor
To Sir With Love by 10,000 maniacs
Raspberry Beret by Hindu Love Gods
I Shot The Sherrif by Clapton (well, its not as good as Marleys, but its still damn good)

the funniest cover:
Iron Man by the Cardigans

And I've gotta say, Tori Amos wins the award for the most bizarre covers. I just heard her and Tool doing Amazing Grace, ugh. But her Smells Like Teen Spirit and Angie were awesome

02-06-2000, 04:17 AM
Long as it is, this is not a complete list. If you know the original artist where I don't (or if I made a mistake), please provide the correct information.

Favorite covers:

Louie Louie -- Kingsman (Richard Berry)
Route 66 -- Rolling Stones (Bobby Troup)
Jenny Take a Ride -- Mitch Ryder (Little Richard)
Gloria -- Shadows of Knight (Van Morrison & Them)
War -- Edwin Starr (Temptations)
Johnny B. Good -- Jimi Hendrix (Chuck Berry)
John Barleycorn -- Traffic (traditional)
Feelin' Allright -- Joe Cocker (Traffic)
Shake Your Money Maker -- Fleetwood Mac (Elmore James)
Move Over -- Slade (Janis Joplin)
C'mon Everybody -- Humble Pie (Eddie Cochran)
Silver Train -- Johnny Winter (Rolling Stones)
Maybelline -- Ted Nugent (Chuck Berry)
Chevrolet -- Foghat (?)
Rated X -- Pat Benatar (Nick Gilder)
Do You Wanna Touch Me -- Joan Jett (Gary Glitter)
Real Wild Child -- Joan Jett, Iggy Pop (not sure who did this first -- Buddy Holly, maybe?)
Summertime Blues -- Joan Jett, Blue Cheer (Eddie Cochran)
Star Star -- Joan Jett (Rolling Stones)
Stupid Girl -- Ellen Foley (Rolling Stones)
I'm Not Your Stepping Stone -- Sex Pistols (Monkees)
Friggin In The Riggin -- Sex Pistols (traditional -- the basis for Yankee Doodle Dandy?)
Down On The Farm -- Guns n' Roses (UK Subs)
Raw Power -- Guns n' Roses (Stooges)
Search And Destroy -- Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stooges)
Brontosauras -- Lee Harvey Oswald (The Move)
Breadfan -- Metallica (Budgie)
So What -- Metallica (Anti-Nowhere League)
Come Together (live version) -- Aerosmith (Beatles)
Spider-Man -- Ramones (tv cartoon theme song)
California Sun -- Ramones (?)
Let's Dance -- Ramones (Chris Montez)
You Really Got Me -- Van Halen (Kinks)
You're No Good -- Van Halen (Linda Ronstadt)
I Ain't Superstitious -- Jeff Beck (Willie Dixon)
Back Door Man -- Doors (Willie Dixon)
American Society -- L7 (Eddie & the Subtitles)
Hangin' On The Telephone -- L7 (Blondie)
Jenny Says -- Cowboy Mouth (Dash Rip Rock)
I Saw The Light -- Dash Rip Rock (Hank Williams)
Winnebago Warrior -- Mojo Nixon (Dead Kennedys)
Rock 'n' Roll -- Mitch Ryder & Detroit (Velvet Underground)
Gimme Shelter -- Mitch Ryder & Detroit (Rolling Stones)
House Party -- J. Geils Band (?)
Emergency -- Motorhead (GirlSchool)
Cat Scratch Fever -- Motorhead (Ted Nugent)
Who Do You Love -- George Thorogood (Bo Diddley)
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer -- George Thorogood (John Lee Hooker)
The Green Manalishi -- Judas Priest (Fleetwood Mac)
I Got A Right -- Misfits (Iggy Pop)

Covers that should never have been recorded:

I Wanna Be Your Dog -- Joan Jett (Stooges)
Stray Cat Blues -- Johnny Winter (Rolling Stones)
I Want To Tell You -- Ted Nugent (Beatles)
Helter Skelter -- Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Pat Benatar (Beatles)
Dancing In The Streets -- Mick Jagger/David Bowie (Martha Reeves)
Satisfaction -- Devo (Rolling Stones)
Johnny B. Good -- Judas Priest (Chuck Berry)
Be My Lover -- Mojo Nixon (Alice Cooper)

02-06-2000, 04:55 AM
And a question about a more recent cover, if anyone has heard of it: http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005519.html

RTA, I never would have guessed that anyone else on this board had ever even HEARD of Lee Harvey Oswald. Great CD.

------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching." -- Yogi Berra

astorian
02-06-2000, 10:05 AM
Among the best covers of all time (and all far better than the originals, in my opinion) are:

1) "Rod Stewart's cover of the Temptations' "(I Know) I'm Losing You"

2) The Beatles' covers of CHuck Berry's "Rock & Roll Music" and Little RIchard's "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" (Man, could John Lennon belt out a rock and roll song!)

3) The Rolling Stones' cover of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away"

4) Guadalcanal Diary's cover of the BEatles' "And Your Bird Can Sing"

5) Deep Purple's cover of Joe South's "Hush"

6) The Jeff Beck Group's cover (with Rod Stewart on vocals) of Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up"

7) Joe Cocker's cover of the Box Tops' "The Letter"

8) Dave Edmunds' cover of Bruce Springsteen's "From Small Things (Big THings One Day Come)"

9) Linda Ronstadt's cover of ROy ORbison's "Blue Bayou"

10) Jimi Hendrix' cover of "Hey Joe"

I'll unjdoubtedly think of 50 more good covers as soon as I click "submit," but 10 seems like plenty from one guy.

longhair75
02-06-2000, 10:36 AM
good morning friends,

i must first qualify what i am about to say by admitting that i am not a country music fan.

i really dislike country music covers of rock tunes. my typical example: faith hill's cover of janis joplin's "piece of my heart"

and because i am admittedly not a country fan, i have no idea who the artists are for these, but there have been country covers of aerosmith "i don't want to miss a thing" eric clapton "wonderful tonight" the grateful dead "truckin"

alana myles had a pretty good tune, "black velvet" on the pop charts. about a week after it dropped out of the top ten, there was a country cover.

maybe the most amusing is a middle aged country singer singing the line: "i'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote" in a country cover of eddie cochran's "summertime blues"

one already mentioned: natalie cole's remix version of "unforgetable." possibly, natalie singing with her father via technology was a touching and nostalgic moment, but getting the grammy award for best song? maybe we should term it the "milli vanilli grammy" or the "karioke grammy"

------------------
"don't get strung out by the way that i look, don't judge a book by it's cover" (tim curry as dr. franknfurter in rhps)

DoctorJ
02-06-2000, 10:41 AM
Good covers:
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston covering Dolly Parton

I must disagree. This one always makes me want to jump out the nearest window. (Of course, I didn't care for the original, either, but Whitney's is worse.)

The covers on Phish's new box set: "Bold as Love" (Hendrix), "Sabotage" (Beastie Boys), "Cry Baby Cry" (Beatles), "Quinn the Eskimo" (Dylan)

Don't forget "Boogie On Reggae Woman" (Stevie Wonder), and "Get Jiggy Wit It" (Will Smith), which is fun if not virtuoso. I don't care for their "Bold as Love", though.

Phish does a lot of great covers--two of my favorites are "Loving Cup" (the Stones) and "When the Circus Comes to Town" (Los Lobos).

- Just about anything the Grateful Dead ever covered.

Don't listen to "Hey Jude" on Disc 1 of "2-11-68 (Good Morning Little Schoolgirl)". Not one of Pig's finest moments. I always particularly loved "Dear Mr. Fantasy" from "Without a Net".

Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts (Dylan) by Joan Baez. Who can stand listening to Dylan that long?

Actually, "Blood on the Tracks" is one of my favorite albums. I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that Dylan's songs lose something when someone else does them. His voice may not be pretty, or even tonal, but he packs more emotion into one sneering moan than most singers have in their entire ouevre.

That said, Joan Baez is the best interpreter of Dylan's work--I saw her join the Indigo Girls to do "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". (I was stage security, and Joan looked me in the eye and laughed as I was singing along. Great moment.)

Tori Amos' cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is great, just because! Just try to imagine it.

That kicks so much ass! The whole "Crucify" EP is great--in addition to "Teen Spirit", she covers the Stones' "Angie" and Zeppelin's "Thank You". One that she does occasionally in concert that I'd love to hear is "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by the Police. (It should be pointed out that these are all solo piano and vocal arrangements. You'd just have to hear it.)

Some of my favorite covers:
--"Crosstown Traffic" (Hendrix) by Medeski, Martin, and Wood. You want to talk about having your own take on a song.
--"Kathy's Song" (Simon and Garfunkel) by Shawn Colvin, on her "Live '88" disc. Not a big departure from the original, but I like it anyway.
--"1999" (Prince), by the Asylum Street Spankers. The definitive jug band version.
--"Apache Rose Peacock" (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Dr. J's solo acoustic version. Actually, this one really sucks, but if you get me drunk at a party you might have to hear it anyway. :)

Dr. J

PunditLisa
02-06-2000, 11:20 AM
UB40's "Red, Red Wine" (Neil Diamond)
Sting's "Come Down in Time" (Elton John)
George Michael's "Tonight" (Elton John)
Aerosmith's "Come Together" (Beatles)
Luther Vandross' "Killing Me Softly"(Roberta Flack)

Strangely, three of the best covers are slowed down, or acoustic versions, of a song previously recorded by the same band (does that count as a cover?):

Police "Don't Stand So Close to Me"
Eric Clapton "Layla" and
Heart "Alone"

douglips
02-06-2000, 11:59 AM
Someone has already mentioned "Any Bob Dylan song sung by anyone other than Bob Dylan." Let me add to that "Any Bruce Springsteen Song sung by anyone other than Bruce Springsteen."

Including:
Blinded By the Light, Spirits in the Night, and I Came for You by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Ringo
02-06-2000, 12:08 PM
Hendrix' cover of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" is already well represented. I'll include Dave Mason's cover of Hendrix cover.

Another Dylan cover - "Baby Blue" as per the 13th Floor Elevators.

Sam Stone
02-06-2000, 12:53 PM
Bonnie Raitt's cover of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery" is fantastic.

Linda Ronstadt covered about a zillion Warren Zevon songs, but none of them were as good as the originals.

The Cowboy Junkies have an album called "The Trinity Sessions" which is essentially a collection of covers, and it is phenomenal.

Cervaise
02-06-2000, 03:04 PM
Big second (or third, or however many it's been) to Tori Amos's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Truly haunting, and something to go back to when the swirly nature-sylph stuff on the latest albums gets too annoying.

Another candidate: Billy Joel does "Back in the U.S.S.R." on his Russian live album. Now, I'd hardly say the Beatles are outdone by his version, but there's something truly unique and thrilling about a born-in-the-USA rocker taking a Western rock classic and blasting it out for a Soviet audience. The roar of the audience when they recognize what's coming up -- it gives you chills.

xekul
02-06-2000, 04:47 PM
Someone already mentioned Tori Amos' cover of ``Smells Like Teen Spirit'' so I'll add her cover of Leonard Cohen's ``Famous Blue Raincoat''..

------------------
``Beware of elaborate telescopic meat; it will find its way back to the forest.''
-- William S. Burroughs, Tom Waits

ruadh
02-06-2000, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Kyla:
Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" is excellent, although I must admit I have never heard the original.

It sounds exactly the same except with Bowie's voice instead of Cobain's.

A nice enough version, Nirvana's, but definitely in the category of "no imagination" covers.

disreputable_1
02-06-2000, 06:02 PM
You will either love it or hate it but The Cardigans' cover of Iron Man is a must hear.

Very different from the original.

And is there a college band that doesn't do Iron Man?

ruadh
02-06-2000, 06:30 PM
The Cardigans also did "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" on an earlier album. I think by the time they got to "Iron Man" the joke was kinda old :)

Another great cover I'd forgotten about is the Pogues' version of Ewan MacColl's "Dirty Old Town" - a perfect example of a band taking someone else's song and truly making it their own.

longhair75
02-06-2000, 06:33 PM
friend dhanson:

Bonnie Raitt's cover of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery" is fantastic.
Linda Ronstadt covered about a zillion Warren Zevon songs, but none of them were as good as the originals.

The Cowboy Junkies have an album called "The Trinity Sessions" which is essentially a collection of covers, and it is phenomenal.

i couldn't agree more! bonnie rait is a consumate professional, and i am sure john prine liked her interpetation.

i am also fond of the trinity sessions album

------------------
"don't get strung out by the way that i look, don't judge a book by it's cover" (tim curry as dr. franknfurter in rhps)

Great Dave
02-06-2000, 06:44 PM
U2 did a decent cover of Helter Skelter on Rattle&Hum, in addition to All Along the Watchtower. Stone Temple Pilots did Dancing Days on the Led Zepplin tribute album. It was light years better than Sheryl Crow's D'Yer Mak'r, which has to be one of the worst covers ever. And anyone who has had the fortune to see Phish live a few times has probably heard some great covers. They once did the entire Dark Side of the Moon album (I hope everyone knows that's Pink Floyd) for their second set.

Rousseau
02-06-2000, 06:52 PM
Dr. J is the man when it comes to music.

I was about to respond to the person that bashed Dylan's "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" (one of my favorite Dylan songs), or anything on that immaculate album. But you beat me to it.

I must take offense to one thing, though. Phish's "Bold as Love" is absolutely awesome. I don't really care for "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It," or "Boogie on Reggae Woman." Ah well. I do LOVE "When the Circus Comes," though (although I'm not a big fan of the Lobos version), but I was confining myself to covers that appear on a major label release. But, if we're going to concert faves, I also love Phish doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Beatles), and "Born to Run" (Springsteen). Also, "Funky Bitch" is a cover too (Son Seals). I'm not crazy about the version that appears on the box set, in part because I also have a copy of them playing that song with Carlos Santana. This kind of biases me to all other versions.

And I also strongly dislike "Hey Jude" on the Fillmore CD. When I got it I was all excited to hear it, but it was a major disappontment.

DUDE!! Where can I hear MMW doing "Crosstown Traffic"???????

------------------
The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

DoctorJ
02-06-2000, 10:07 PM
Rousseau--I have it as filler on a Phish tape. I understand they encore with it pretty often, so if you look around you should be able to find it. (Mine is pretty crappy.)

Page's voice just doesn't do "Bold as Love" for me. I'm partial to "Boogie On" because I was there when they broke it out (Dayton, 12/97).

JP

Cooper
02-06-2000, 10:31 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention Hendrix, especially All Along the Watchtower. I guess, as an excuse and an apology, I can offer this quote from Bob Dylan, when asked if he was surprised how many covers of his songs the Jimi did (wording close, maybe not exact)

What surprises me is not the he recorded so many of my songs, but that he recorded so few, because they were all his.

In a similar note, I have to mention that I absolutely love the Dave Mathews Band cover of All Along the Watchtower that appears on the Live at Redrocks album.

And now that I've heard Phish has covered "Sabotage" I will probably have to go find that box set and buy it. I can hardly wait :)

RM Mentock
02-06-2000, 11:18 PM
<font color=#FF30c0>Majormd</font>Problem is, in the 60's & 70's you had a lot of singer-songwriters whose works were often released first or more definitively by someone else:
Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin & Kris Kristofferson

Wait. Even Roger Miller's version came out long before Joplin's. Or is this just one of the "more definitively" catagory? In which case, probably half of the covers mentioned fall into that catagory.

<font color=#FF30c0>Tengu</font>Barenaked Ladies' 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time' (Bruce Coburn)

I just heard a Bruce Cockburn cover of Blueberry Hill, with Cowboy Junkies’ Margo Timmins. Wheeee. Here's a clip. (http://www.rykodisc.com/RykoInternal/DatabaseSupport/RealAudio/1045_7.ram)

<font color=#FF30c0>John Rush</font>Summertime Blues -- Joan Jett, Blue Cheer (Eddie Cochran)

Who
<font color=#FCFCFC>------------------
rocks</font>

Kamino Neko
02-06-2000, 11:38 PM
Bruce Cockburn

Figgered that was the proper spelling, but decided, I had a 50% chance of getting it wrong, so I'd err on the side of not prompting a dirty joke. :eek:

------------------
Eschew Obfuscation

Polycarp
02-07-2000, 10:30 AM
Brain Dead remarked:[I]s someone in Ugly Kid Joe supposedly Harry Chapin's son? There's a rumor I haven't heard.

I have been told this. Of course, my source could be termed the anti-Snopes; he believes so many Urban Legends are true that I take most of what he says with a lot of skepticism.

Liberal
02-07-2000, 10:56 AM
Elton John — Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

[Flame Helmet ON]

TwistofFate
02-07-2000, 11:09 AM
How anyone could have forgotten OTis Reading's better-than the-original covers of
Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction"
and "Try a little Tenderness" (I cant remember the original artist"

------------------
J

"Cast a cold Eye, On Life, On Death, Horseman, ride by"
W.B. Yeats

TwistofFate
02-07-2000, 11:13 AM
William Shatner's truely breathtaking covers of

"The Transformed man"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Mr. Tamborine Man"

[hiding behind Libertarians flame helmet]

------------------
J

"Cast a cold Eye, On Life, On Death, Horseman, ride by"
W.B. Yeats

BurnMeUp
02-07-2000, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Polycarp:

On the other hand, I found Guns 'n' Roses' cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" a vast improvement over the original. (Of course, it helps that Axl Rose can carry a tune! ;))

Axl Rose couldn't carry a tune if you put it in a bucket with a lid on it.

------------------
If you feel that you must suffer, then plan your suffering carefully--as you choose your dreams, as you conceive your ancestors.

BurnMeUp
02-07-2000, 11:35 AM
A few i like:

Baker Street - a la Foo Fighters
Enter Sandman - A la New Morty Show (a swing band)
(Cum on feel the noise)Mental Health - a la Bran Van 3000 (there's something about a chick acousticly singing this song that is just surreal)
Louie Louie - a la Black Flag
99 red baloons - a la 7 Seconds
Jump, Jive and Wail - a la Brian Setzer Orchestra
Mrs. Robinson - a la The Lemonheads
Smells like teen spirit, Angie, Thank You, Somewhere over the Rainbow - a la Tori Amos
Summer Lovin - a la The Vandals
Teenager in love, Lola - a la Bad Manners
There she goes - a la Sixpence None the Richer
Dancing with myself - a la Blink 182
Do you think i'm sexy - a la The Revolting Cocks
Rawhide, You really got me - a la Oingo Boingo
What's New Pussycat - a la Fishbone
I fought the law - a la Dead Kennedy's
Route 66 - a la Depeche Mode
Put a little love in your heart - a la Circle Jerks
My way - a la Sid Vicious

That's all I can think of right now.

------------------
If you feel that you must suffer, then plan your suffering carefully--as you choose your dreams, as you conceive your ancestors.

Ukulele Ike
02-07-2000, 11:44 AM
Rhino Records put together an interesting collection a few years back called BLACK ON WHITE...whiteboy rock tune covers by R&B performers, a wry twist on the way things usually work.

Some of the best cuts on the disc were Aretha Franklin covering The Band's "The Weight," and a smokin' version of Randy Newman's "Mama Told Me Not to Come" by Wilson Pickett.

One more choice: The Young Fresh Fellows' cover of The Kinks' "Picture Book."

------------------
Uke

Fretful Porpentine
02-07-2000, 12:11 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that Dylan's songs lose something when someone else does them. His voice may not be pretty, or even tonal, but he packs more emotion into one sneering moan than most singers have in their entire ouevre.

Amen, brother.

Then again, there are a few Dylan covers that are improvements on the originals. Hendrix' "All Along the Watchtower," of course, and The Byrds' version of "Chimes of Freedom," and ... um ...

Actually, I'm not sure there is a third.

------------------
It is an heretic that makes the fire,
Not she which burns in it.

Bucky
02-07-2000, 03:03 PM
I HATE most covers. So, to debate, I'll just list covers I hate.

Natalie Cole ripping off her dad--repugnant, callous, morbid.

Rod Stewart covering anyone/anything, but especially Tom Waits' "Downtown Train"--shoot Rod now!

Faith Hill's cover of "Piece of my Heart"--turned it into saccharine. Well, she married Tim McGraw, so what taste does she have?

Joe Cocker--can't sing.

Bucky

------------------
Oh, well. We can always make more killbots.

Spoke
02-07-2000, 03:48 PM
Some good 'uns:

"I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)"
--as covered by The Clash (Can't remember original artist)

"Love Hurts"
--as covered by Nazareth (Orig. Roy Orbison)

"Superman"
--as covered by R.E.M. (Orig. The Clique)

"Yesterday"
--as covered by Ray Charles (Orig. The Beatles)

Worst cover:

"Train in Vain"
--as covered by Annie Lenox

(Love A.L., but that cover is an abomination)

Rousseau
02-07-2000, 03:52 PM
That's Page??? Are you sure? I was under the assumption that it was Trey. Sounds like him, at least.

------------------

DoctorJ
02-07-2000, 04:03 PM
That's Page??? Are you sure?

Yep, that's Page. Compare to "Lawn Boy" and "Wading in the Velvet Sea".

"Superman"--as covered by R.E.M. (Orig. The Clique)

Are you sure? I believe that's an REM original. Life's Rich Pageant says "All songs Berry Buck Mills Stipe".

Dr. J

ruadh
02-07-2000, 04:33 PM
DoctorJ, I don't know why the album says that, but it is a cover. See the rec.music.rem FAQ (http://www.landfield.com/faqs/music/rem-faq/part3/).

HeadlessCow
02-07-2000, 05:06 PM
I'd have to say that the worst cover I have ever heard was The Beatle's "Money (That's what I want)" covered by Flying Lizards. You can find this horrid piece of music on the second The Wedding Singer cd.

John Corrado
02-07-2000, 05:16 PM
Worst cover I've ever heard? Either Debbie Gibson or Tiffany (can't remember which) doing The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There."

A great rock tune turned into sugar pop. Yeeeecch. Not to mention that the song was incredibly popular when I was in high school, so I got to listen to it a lot.

Best cover? Right now, for me, "Feelings" by the Offspring. Don't know who originally wrote/recorded it.

------------------
JMCJ

This is not a sig.

Spoke
02-07-2000, 06:01 PM
HeadlessCow-

Actually, the Beatles version of "Money" was also a cover. I believe the Isley Brothers may have done it originally. And in fact, the Beatles version belongs on a list of great covers itself!

Guy Incognito
02-07-2000, 08:29 PM
My two picks for good covers:

"Tell It Like It Is" / Heart (don't know who did the original.

"Little Wing" / Sting (Jimi Hendrix)

Also worth checking is Stanley Jordan's "Magic Touch" album. Lots of good cover songs in there--"Round Midnight", "Eleanore Rigby", etc...

A bad cover that springs to mind is the Wallflowers cover of Bowie's "Heroes". The family adenoids don't fall too far from the tree, eh Jakob?

------------------
"It's only common sense,
There are no accidents 'round here."

sqweels
02-07-2000, 09:27 PM
I was going to suggest we focus more on well-known versions of previously well-known recordings, but my first choice is almost neither: '21st Century Schiziod Man', April Wine (King Crimson) ELP is doing it lately cuz Lake was originally K f-ing C.

Also 'America', Yes (Simon and Garfunkel) (Not that 'America'. No not that 'America' either; the one with being on the bus with the guy whose bowtie if really a camera...)

How about Elton John's version of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'?
**ducks**

There's no denying 'You really got me', Van Halen (Kinks), but I didn't realize until recently that 'Love Hurts' and 'Hush" were covers. Deep Purple also does a charming redition of 'Kentucky Woman' (Neil Diamond).

The one I can't stand tho' is Kravitz's version of 'American Woman'. The Guess Who did it with a really catchy rhythm and groovin' synth part. Lenny's ruins it with a ponderous, plodding beat.

Cooper
02-07-2000, 09:52 PM
Man if you can't feel the groovy Lenny lays down for lead guitar - well then its been too long for you. I love the Guess Who version as well (I saw them in concert a few years ago, free in a podunk town called O'Fallon Missouri)but Lenny definitely has got something there too.

Cooper
02-07-2000, 09:53 PM
Er, make that "Groove", durnit.

disreputable_1
02-07-2000, 10:04 PM
I'm sorry GuyIn but Derek & the Dominos' cover of Little Wing runs circles around Sting's version.

Studi
02-07-2000, 11:20 PM
"Get Down Make Love" -Nine Inch Nails (Queen, I think)

"Blue Monday" -Orgy (New Order)

"Sweet Dreams" -M Manson (Eurithymics)
Although I am *not* a "Sweet Dreamer".

Studi

------------------
When I grow up, I want to be the Minister of Silly Walks.

Sam Stone
02-08-2000, 01:45 AM
Nazareth's version of "This Flight Tonight" is better than Joni Mitchell's.

aschrott
02-08-2000, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Jeannie:
My favorite remake is probably the Fugees' version of "Killing Me Softly." [/B]

I'm with Jeannie--Great remake. Aside from some of the Hip Hop references that I just don't get (can someone explain "one time" repeated over and over to me?) it has real soul and a great sound.

Spoke
02-08-2000, 10:04 AM
DoctorJ

Yes, I am sure about "Superman". As it happens, I have the original 45 (rescued from my sister's collection). It was by a group called The Clique. It's all scratched up, but playable, and it is the same song.

Don't know anything about the Clique, but the 45 dates from the 60's, and the band has a "British Invasion" sound. (Think Herman's Hermits, and you're pretty close.) Don't know if it was a British invasion band or just an American band emulating the sound.

------------------
"Every time you think, you weaken the nation!" --M. Howard (addressing his brother, C. Howard).

PTVroman
02-08-2000, 10:49 AM
A few that have been missed:

Van Morrison does a live version of Just Like A Woman that is slow and blusey and wonderful.

Bonnie Raitt's Runnaway

Joe Cocker's version of Leave Your Hat On. Whenever I hear that version, I immagine an artsie video with a guy in a fedora and trench coat, a foggy street corner, etc. When I hear the Randy Newman version, I imagine a middle-aged fat guy wearing a stained t-shirt and boxers.

William Shatner's truely breathtaking covers of

"The Transformed man"
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
"Mr. Tamborine Man"
Clasics! Didn't Leonard Nemoy also do some breathtakingly bad covers?

------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away."
Tom Waites, "Step Right Up"

Drain Bead
02-08-2000, 11:09 AM
U2 did a decent cover of Helter Skelter on Rattle&Hum, in addition to All Along the Watchtower.

Are you high? Both of those, especially the second one, are absolutely heinous. And I like U2.

Then again, I also like David Lee Roth's cover of "Just a Gigolo," so my tastes might be suspect as well.

DoctorJ
02-08-2000, 11:34 AM
Spoke--I stand corrected. It does say "except Superman" on the actual CD.

Learn something new every day.

Dr. J

Lord Derfel
02-08-2000, 02:00 PM
Derek & the Dominos' cover of Little Wing runs circles around Sting's version.
Stevie Ray Vaughan's instrumental cover of Little Wing on The Sky is Crying is the best version, IMHO.

Cooper
02-08-2000, 02:34 PM
Then again, I also like David Lee Roth's cover of "Just a Gigolo," so my tastes might be suspect as well.

Actually, I think this is one of the few great things David Lee Roth ever did.

KeithB
02-08-2000, 03:46 PM
Bad Cover:
Leo Sayers' "Wonderin' Where the Lion's Are" (Bruce Cockburn)

Good Cover:
I think Emmylou Harris has done several excellent ones. Her version of "Mr. Sandman" with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton is as good as the original. She also does an excellent version of "Here, There and Everywhere" (Beatles). I saw her (she was visibly pregnant) perform this live at the benefit for Lowell George, and she sent chills down my spine. I also like her version of "Racing in the Street" Bruce Springsteen.

JoeyBlades
02-08-2000, 06:36 PM
Cool, just found this thread... Don't know how I missed it before... There are too many covers that I like to list in detail. Instead, I'm going to hijack this thread just a bit and list four of my favorite groups that do a LOT of covers that I like:

Van Halen
- You Really Got Me (Kinks)
- You're No Good (Linda Ronstadt )
- Where Have All The Good Times Gone? (Kinks)
- Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison)
- Dancing In The Street (Mommas and Pappas)
- Big Bad Bill (Judy Garland)
- Happy Trails (Dale Evans)
- Apolitical Blues (Little Feat)
- Rock and Roll (Led Zepplin)

Dream Theater
- Funeral For A Friend (Elton John)
- Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple)
- The Rover (Led Zepplin)
- Achilles Last Stand (Led Zepplin)
- The Song Remains The Same (Led Zepplin)
- In the Flesh (Pink Floyd)
- Carry On Wayward Son (Kansas)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
- Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin (Journey)
- Cruise Control (Dixie Dregs)
- Turn It On Again (Genesis)

Type O Negative
- Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
- Hey Pete (Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe)
- Summer Breeze (Seals & Croft)
- Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young)
- Day Tripper (Beatles)
- Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
- Light My Fire (Doors)
- All Together Now (Beatles)
- Star Spangled Banner (Francis Scott Key) Is this technically a cover?

Alice Cooper
- Sun Arise (Rolf Harris)
- I'm Always Chasing Rainbows (Judy Garland)
- Hello Hooray, Alice Cooper (Carly Simon)
- Ubangi Stomp (Foghat)
- Talk Talk (Music Machine)
- Seven & Seven Is (Albert Lee)
- Fire (Jimi Hendrix)
- I Got A Line On You (Spirit)
- Because (Beatles)
- Start Me Up (Rolling Stones)
- King Herod's Song (Andrew Loyd Webber)

Joan Jett should probably be up there, too, but my brain got tired...

I also love the cover of Frank Zappa's "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Momma" done by Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson (AKA G3)... but not as much as I love the cover done by, none other than, Dweezil Zappa!!!

Ringo
02-08-2000, 08:29 PM
spoke-

There was a band here in Houston in the late '60's called The Clique; they had a hit with a tune titled "Splash One." What's on the flip side of that 45?

Spoke
02-08-2000, 09:03 PM
beatle--

I will check on the Superman 45 when I get a chance and will post the info.

Spoke
02-08-2000, 09:35 PM
beatle--

The Clique, which originally recorded "Superman" does indeed seem to be the same group that you describe. Click on the link below for a discography:
http://www.delerium.co.uk/archive/us6070s/c6.html#The Clique

Interesting that they're from Houston. As I said in my earlier post, the sound on the "Superman" single is definitely "British Invasion-esque"

------------------
"Every time you think, you weaken the nation!" --M. Howard (addressing his brother, C. Howard).

Spoke
02-08-2000, 09:42 PM
(Scroll up on that link, BTW)

Also, the link says The Clique were an Austin band. Were they from Houston and just working in Austin, or vice versa, beatle? Do you know?

astorian
02-08-2000, 11:40 PM
Now, I used to find David Lee Roth rather amusing, and Van Halen has never been NEARLY as good since he left. HOWEVER...

David Lee Roth's "Just a Gigolo" was a complete rip-off! Roth wasn't doing a hammy, over-the-top satirical version of a cheesy old Vegas lounge-lizard tune. On the contrary, Roth COMPLETELY ripped off the hilarious version by Louis Prima (Best know to youngsters as the voice of King Louie in Disney's "Jungle Book").

David Lee Roth's version is a carbon copy of Prima's. Louis Prima was one of the all-time great hams, and his version of "Just a Gigolo" was a send-up to begin with!

chief
02-09-2000, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Cooper:
Allright, you think Axl Rose can sing? Better than Dylan even? I admit Dylan has a lousy voice - but at least he doesn't screech like a castrated rooster.

yes he can sing.. if youve heard patience on GNR Lies, that shows it. and they did some great stuff live too especially during the acoustic sets.

------------------
Chief's Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

chief
02-09-2000, 04:10 AM
Led Zeppelin - you shook me, i cant quit you baby, babe i'm gonna leave you,

Guns n' Roses -
Live and Let Die
Mama Kin
Knockin' On Heaven's door

Hendrix of course

Byrds - mr tamborine man

aerosmith - come together

black crowes - hard to handle, torn and frayed, time will tell, mr. spaceman, many others..

probably missed a few too..

------------------
Chief's Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

02-09-2000, 07:12 AM
JoeyBlades:

Van Halen
- Dancing In The Street (Mommas and Pappas)

This was originally recorded by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas in 1964. Mommas and Pappas covered it later.

- Rock and Roll (Led Zepplin)

I also like Heart's version.

Type O Negative

Didn't they also cover Pictures Of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)?

Joan Jett should probably be up there, too,...

Damn right.

Thought of a few more favorites:

Scratch My Back -- Fabulous Thunderbirds (Slim Harpo)
Viva Las Vegas -- ZZ Top, Dead Kennedys (Elvis Presley)
I Just Want To Make Love To You -- Foghat (Willie Dixon)
Oh Well -- Rockets (Fleetwood Mac)
Nice Boys -- Guns n' Roses (Rose Tatoo)
Wild Thing -- Sam Kinison (Troggs)

Liberal
02-09-2000, 09:05 AM
I know I'm gonna get ripped for this, but...

Sinead O'Conner for two:

"Nothing Compares to You", by O(+>

"Sacrifice", by Elton John and Bernie Taupin

JoeyBlades
02-09-2000, 10:01 AM
John Rush writes:

This was originally recorded by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas in 1964. Mommas and Pappas covered it later.

Yes, this is actually true of several of my entries. I just used the name of the artist who was "most" well known for the song.

Didn't they also cover Pictures Of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)?

Give that man a cigar! I thought that might be a cover, but I couldn't figure out who did it first. I only have a bootleg copy with no credits. A simple web search confirms your assertion.

I Just Want To Make Love To You -- Foghat (Willie Dixon)

I did not know that... you learn something new every day...

Also, Libertarian writes,

Sinead O'Conner for two:

"Nothing Compares to You", by O(+>

I wouldn't count that as a cover. I don't think TAFKAP ever recorded "Nothing compares 2 U". There are actually a number of hits that he wrote and let other artist record. Quite a few semi-famous artists have him to thank for hit songs... The Bangles, Sheila E, Paula Abdul, Sheena Easton, Chaka Khan, Patti LaBelle, Ray Charles (Uh Huh), George Clinton, Kenny Rogers, Joe Cocker, Miles Davis, El Debarge, Celine Dion, Earth, Wind & Fire, to name a few...

Liberal
02-09-2000, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that heads up.

Sam Stone
02-09-2000, 03:08 PM
Has anyone mentioned the dozens of covers Eric Clapton has made of blues standards, such as "Crossroad Blues", "Before you Accuse Me", "Malted Milk", etc?

It's hard to say they are better than the original (how can you say anyone's rendition of Crossroad Blues is better than Robert Johnson's original?), but they are uniformly excellent.

Cooper
02-09-2000, 03:18 PM
yes he can sing.. if youve heard patience on GNR Lies, that shows it.

Well, I'm not going to argue about this any more, but if you think Rose can sing you have very little company.

Patience is mostly talking in meter. Axle has no range - his voice turns into a shriek before he goes up half an octave.

JoeyBlades
02-09-2000, 08:43 PM
More Axel than Rose, if you ask me, and sorely in need of a good lube...

Jo3sh
02-10-2000, 01:39 AM
My all-time favorite cover is Dweezil Zappa doing "Satyin' Alive," with Donny Osmond on vocals.

Close second: Dweezil's dad, Frank, doing "Stairway to Heaven."

sqweels
02-10-2000, 02:23 AM
The only version of 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' I would like is one done completely in sign language.

Kyla
02-10-2000, 02:46 AM
I wouldn't count that as a cover. I don't think TAFKAP ever recorded "Nothing compares 2 U". There are actually a number of hits that he wrote and let other artist record.

No, I've heard his version of it, which is pretty much the same as Sinead's. He might have done it after she recorded it, though, I don't know.

BTW, whoever said that the Mamas and the Papas' version of "Dancin' in the Street" is better known...well, not to me. I've never heard them sing it, and I've heard Martha and the Vandellas sing it a thousand times. It's all subjective.

------------------
~Harborina

"This is my sandbox. I'm not allowed to go in the deep end. That's where I saw the leprechauns."

02-10-2000, 06:02 AM
Kyla:
BTW, whoever said that the Mamas and the Papas' version of "Dancin' in the Street" is better known...well, not to me. I've never heard them sing it, and I've heard Martha and the Vandellas sing it a thousand times. It's all subjective.

Same here. I've yet to hear the Mamas and Papas' cover, but a few acquaintances also thought that was the original version. And I've yet to hear a remake that matches the original (Black Oak Arkansas also covered it). Martha Reeves had a great voice.

The Stones and Rod Stewart also covered I Just Want To Make Love To You. Stewart's live version was on the 8-track release of Foolish Behaviour, but not on vinyl. Does anyone know if it's on the CD? Stewart pretty much stayed true to the original: Foghat made the song their own.

Someone mentioned Led Zeppelin's version of You Shook Me. That's also a Willie Dixon tune. He's everywhere, isn't he? And yes, add that to my favorites.

As for the "Axl can't sing" argument: neither can James Hetfield, Joey Ramone, or Johnny Rotten. But their bands would be the same without any of them.

More favorites:

Nutbush City Limits -- Bob Seger (Ike & Tina Turner)
Where Did Our Love Go? (live) -- J. Geils Band (Supremes)
Saturdaynight -- Blackfoot (Herman Bood & His Wild Romance)
Soul Shake -- Delanie & Bonnie (Scott & Benson)
(I Know) I'm Losing You -- Rare Earth (Temptations)
Standing On Shaky Ground -- Delbert McClinton (Temptations)
Hot Rod Lincoln -- Commander Cody (? -- old country tune)
The Last Time -- Buchanan Brothers (Rolling Stones)

------------------
"If you're so pro-life, do me a favor: don't block medical clinics, lock arms and block cemetaries." -- Bill Hicks (http://www.billhicks.com/darktimes/index.html)

02-10-2000, 06:08 AM
Their bands wouldn't be the same without any of them.

And [i]cemeteries[i].

------------------
"If you're so pro-life, do me a favor: don't block medical clinics, lock arms and block cemeteries." -- Bill Hicks (http://www.billhicks.com/darktimes/index.html)

longjohn
02-10-2000, 09:05 AM
In the Bad category, the really really Bad Category:
Bruce Willis murdering Under the Boardwalk
All Saints missing the point of Under the Bridge.

Also, somebody recently did shocking things to Big Yellow Taxi, and Spankboy, you're so right about Puff Daddy, even if Jimmy Page connived with Kashmir. He musta been drugged, or having trouble paying his rent.

JoeyBlades
02-10-2000, 10:29 AM
Jo3sh wrote:

My all-time favorite cover is Dweezil Zappa doing "Satyin' Alive," with Donny Osmond on vocals.

Cool. The only people I know who've ever heard this are the friends I've managed to tie down and force them to listen. "Confessions" is one of my favorite albums. Did you, per chance, catch his guitar work on the "Purple Haze" cover on the first Winger album? Awesome! I haven't heard it, but I understand that he covered "Smoke On The Water" with Pat Boone... I'd love to hear that!!!

Kyla writes:

It's not subjective at all... It's a simple case of retardation on my part. While the Mommas and the Papas did record "Dancin' In The Street", it is not their version that is the best known - it's the version by Martha and the Vandellas that reached #2 on the Billboard charts... Sorry about the misinformation; it was a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" on my part. ack... ack...

KeithB
02-10-2000, 11:30 AM
I believe it was Amy Grant that crashed the "Big Yellow Taxi".

PunditLisa
02-10-2000, 05:06 PM
There's a live version of Prince and Rosie Gaines (sp?) singing "Nothing Compares 2 U" on his Greatest Hits, vol 2. It's pretty good, actually. That Rosie can belt out a tune.

Odieman
02-10-2000, 05:58 PM
The Bangles version of "September Gurl"(original by Big Star)
"House of the Rising Sun" The Animals (Trad)
"Brand New Cadillac" The Clash (V. Taylor???)
"Summertime" Billy Stewart( Manny peoples)
"Stoned Faces Don't Lie" Sir Douglas Quintet (trad)
As mentioned elsewhere "Clean Cut Kid" Textones (Bob Dylan)
"I'm Only Sleeping" Roseanne Cash (The Beatles)

------------------
You want brilliance BEFORE I've had my coffee!!!

spankboy
02-11-2000, 08:42 AM
Speaking of Blackfoot, was their song 'Train, Train' a cover? Also, wasn't 'Call Me the Breeze', by Lynyrd Skynyrd a cover of a J.J. Cale song (as was 'Cocaine' IIRC).

Trivia nugget-'Rattlesnake' Rick Medlocke of Blackfoot was on Skynyrd's first album as their drummer...

-southern fried spankboy

------------------

Sam Stone
02-11-2000, 03:13 PM
'Call Me the Breeze' was indeed J.J. Cale. But Skynyrd's version is better. Skynyrd did a few more covers, including 'Crossroad Blues' which is pretty good.

In the "God, I can't believe I like it" category - The Beatles tribute album put out by George Martin has some surprisingly effective covers by people like Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Celine Dion, and Goldie Hawn.

I particularly liked Celine Dion's cover of "Here, There and Everywhere", and I never thought I'd say that about anything sung by Celine Dion, let alone a beatles cover.

Jim Carrey does a great "I Am The Walrus." At the end he screams, "There! I did it! I desecrated a timeless piece of art! For my next trick, I'm going to paint a clown face on the Mona Lisa, using the Shroud of Turin as a drop cloth"

Liberal
02-11-2000, 03:15 PM
:D :D :D

pldennison
02-11-2000, 03:43 PM
Just a couple to add. Probably most of you don't know most of these, but I like them:

Fuzzy, "Girl Don't Tell Me" (Beach Boys)

Mary's Danish, "Foxy Lady" (Hendrix)

Sam Phillips (not the Sun Records guy) "Gimme Some Truth" (John Lennon)

The Reivers, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" (Willie Nelson)

pldennison
02-11-2000, 03:47 PM
Just a couple to add. Probably most of you don't know most of these, but I like them:

Fuzzy, "Girl Don't Tell Me" (Beach Boys)

Mary's Danish, "Foxy Lady" (Hendrix)

Sam Phillips (not the Sun Records guy) "Gimme Some Truth" (John Lennon)

The Reivers, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" (Willie Nelson)

02-12-2000, 05:21 AM
spankboy:
Speaking of Blackfoot, was their song 'Train, Train' a cover?

According to the credits, Train, Train was written by Shorty Medlocke. I think Shorty is Rick's father; the CD doesn't list a copyright date on the tune, so it could have been written and recorded some time earlier, and covered by Blackfoot. I don't know the who, when or where of the original, though, if that's the case. BTW, Shorty is credited with Train, Train's harmonica prelude, but on the song itself, Brownsville Station's Cub Koda plays harmonica.

On that same album, Blackfoot covered Spirit's I got A Line On You and Free's Wishing Well.

Another favorite:

Serves You Right To Suffer (live) -- J. Geils Band (John Lee Hooker)

spankboy
02-12-2000, 06:11 AM
Yep, Shorty is Rick's dad. I guess he used to be quite the local musician in Florida; he's mentioned in some of the Skynyrd bios as an early influence.

Thanks for the info-I don't have the album anymore, maybe I'll go get it today...

-sb

------------------

Pixoid
02-14-2000, 10:53 AM
Some of these have been mentioned before:

I like:

Natalie Merchant - One Fine Day - (?)
Save Ferris - Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Dave Matthews Band - Me and Julio (Down by the Schoolyard) - Simon and Garfunkel
Aerosmith - Come Together - Beatles
Guns N'Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan

I really dislike:
Amy Grant - Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Yossarian
02-14-2000, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by beatle:

Another Dylan cover - "Baby Blue" as per the 13th Floor Elevators.

Now that is a band you don't see referenced every day! That brings the total number of people I've ever heard mention that band to three.

Spoke
02-14-2000, 03:39 PM
As long as we're talking Dylan, how about some covers of Dylan songs by Country artists:

It Ain't Me Babe
---Johnny Cash

How Does it Feel?
----Lester Flatt

Other good covers on the Country side:

Streets of Bakersfield
----Covered by Dwight Yoakam
(Orig. by Buck Owens)

Hobo's Lullabye
----Covered by Emmylou Harris
(Orig. by ???)

Sassy
02-14-2000, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Drain Bead:

Drain, I am so disappointed...

:)

------------------
I am a redhead, you see, and I do not tempt. I insist. -Cristi

longhair75
02-14-2000, 11:35 PM
friend spoke,

Hobo's Lullabye
----Covered by Emmylou Harris
(Orig. by ???)

i am not positive, but i think hobo's lullabye was originally arlo guthrie

------------------

Animator
02-19-2000, 09:57 PM
I didn't feel like scanning through all three pages of this, but hasn't anybody mentioned Sting's version of Hendrix's "Little Wing"?

Red Hot Chili Peppers doing "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder, or "Fire" by Jimi Hendrix. Shows how Jammin' the Chilis really are. Both those songs were great to begin with, and the Chili Peppers versions smoke them.

And Devo doing Hendrix's "Are You Experienced" is highly recommended.

Worst? Anything on the "Working Man" Tribute to Rush CD. Just goes to show that nobody does it better than Alex, Geddy, and Neil.

ruadh
02-19-2000, 10:03 PM
Re: Nothing Compares To You. Prince wrote it for a band called The Family; theirs was the first released version. I haven't heard it but I sure do like Sinéad's version.

Tzar
02-20-2000, 06:36 AM
Yay, my first post.

Not necessarily my favorite cover, but one that I think really redefined the original -
Natalie Merchant - Space Oddity (Bowie)

I've heard that live, not sure if any studio recording was done.

Oh, really gotta give it up for Phish's Gin 'n Juice too. Can't hear it without gettin a big grin.

As for worst.... agreeing with several other opinions here. PJ's "Last Kiss" & Madonna's "American Pie". WHY the hell are these even getting airtime? Proof positive that payola continues, folks.

Add to the list almost every single rap or r&b cover of anything. My opinion is that 95% of rap/r&b is pure talentless crap, and I find it quite disturbing that it constitutes such a vast portion of youth's audio diet. But that's a rant for another day.

Liberal
02-20-2000, 12:33 PM
Does anybody know whether Three Dog Night recorded Your Song before Elton John? If they did, does that mean that he actually covered it, even though he wrote it?

Wolf
02-20-2000, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Little Nemo:
Any cover version by Michael Bolton, David Lee Roth, or Natalie Merchant is bad.

I'm not a big David Lee Roth fan, but I really liked his cover of Louis Prima's "Just a Gigolo". I also saw Garth Brooks do an acoustic version of "American Pie" in concert a few years ago that was very impressive.

------------------
If you won't question what you think, why call it thinking?

02-21-2000, 10:48 AM
Libertarian:
Does anybody know whether Three Dog Night recorded Your Song before Elton John?

According to my old Keener 13 hit charts, Elton John's version was released in November, 1970. I've never heard Three Dog Night's cover: when was it released?

Which reminds me:

Chest Fever -- Three Dog Night (The Band)

Spoke
02-21-2000, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah; George Benson did a couple of great covers:

1. On Broadway (Orig. by ?????), and

2. Masquerade (previously recorded by Leon Russell; Orig by ??????)

Also, The Cowboy Junkies did a fantastic cover of Dreaming My Dreams (Orig. by Waylon Jennings)

kinoons
02-26-2000, 12:45 AM
I personally love George Throughgood's (sp) cover of one burbon, one scotch, and one beer

------------------
knuckle-dragging hose mongerer.
SDMB Self-Righteous Clique

Boris B
02-27-2000, 05:13 AM
David Essex's "Rock On" as recorded by Silverfish

The Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" as recorded by Devo

I like every cover of "Little Wing" I've heard. Which is weird. None of them is as good as Jimi's version, but the covers are cool in their own ways. Generally if the cover isn't better than the original I hate it...

David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" as recorded by Bauhaus.

"Telegram Sam" as recorded by Bauhaus. The original was either T. rex or The Troggs. Can't remember which

T. rex's "Bang A Gong" as recorded by The Power Station. Yeah I know The Power Station are one of the goofiest supergroups to come down the pike, but I've gotta have some guilty pleasures, right?

Igor Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" as recorded by Birdsongs of the Mesozoic. Not as good as the original, but the original didn't have drum machines in it...

longhair75
02-27-2000, 10:36 AM
friend spoke,

you asked:

2. Masquerade (previously recorded by Leon Russell; Orig by ??????)

this masquerade was written by leon russell, and was on the second side of teh carney album, (about 1972)

------------------
Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity -Kahlil Gibran

Revtim
02-27-2000, 11:29 AM
Orgy - Blue Monday

Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust

Liberal
02-27-2000, 05:59 PM
According to my old Keener 13 hit charts, Elton John's version was released in November, 1970. I've never heard Three Dog Night's cover: when was it released?

Wow. :D

Well, Three Dog Night recorded it in March, 1970! It was on It Ain't Easy, Side II, third cut.

So that means Elton covered his own song, right?!

Spoke
02-27-2000, 09:52 PM
OK, two more:

Not Fade Away- As covered by the Rolling Stones (Orig. by Buddy Holly)

Just My Imagination- As covered by the Rolling Stones (Orig. by ???)

If You Don't Know Me By Now- As covered by Simply Red (Orig. by ???)

Spoke
02-27-2000, 09:54 PM
Uh...I mean three more. Math. Not my strong suit. :o

longhair75
02-27-2000, 11:23 PM
friend spoke,

again, you asked:

Just My Imagination- As covered by the Rolling Stones (Orig. by ???)

If You Don't Know Me By Now- As covered by Simply Red (Orig. by ???)

just my imagination was originally done by the temptations.

if you don't know me by now was done by harold melvin and the blue notes.

great tunes! the covers weren't bad, but the originals rocked!

------------------
Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity -Kahlil Gibran

02-28-2000, 10:01 AM
Libertarian:

Well, Three Dog Night recorded it in March, 1970! It was on It Ain't Easy, Side II, third cut.

So that means Elton covered his own song, right?!

It's very possible: going by release dates only, it's certainly the case. It's also possible that John recorded it earlier, but it got no air play until well after Three Dog Night put it on an album. You may recall that Tommy James and the Shondells had a hit with Hanky Panky in 1966, though they actually recorded it about 5 years earlier. So I don't know -- you'd have to ask Elton. At any rate, it was John's first hit.

It Ain't Easy was also recorded by a few other artists -- John Baldry, David Bowie and Mitch Ryder & Detroit come to mind -- but nobody was able to make a hit out of it. I prefer Detroit's version.

Three Dog Night made hits off quite a few cover tunes: Liar (Argent) and Mama Told Me Not To Come (Randy Newman) come to mind. And weren't One and Easy to be Hard from the musical Hair?

Boris B:
"Telegram Sam" as recorded by Bauhaus. The original was either T. rex or The Troggs. Can't remember which

T. Rex.

I'd also like to second Burn's nomination for the Dead Kennedys version of I Fought The Law. Spoke, that was originally a Bobby Fuller Four tune.

I seem to be losing the debate against Devo's cover of Satisfaction, though. Maybe everyone should listen to it? I realize that music is just a matter of taste, but other than Whip It, everything that Devo has done seems wooden, including their cover of Working In a Coal Mine.

Ok, more favorites:

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window -- Joe Cocker (Beatles)
Honky Tonk Woman -- Joe Cocker (Stones)
Sympathy For The Devil -- Bryan Ferry (Stones)
House of the Rising Sun -- Frijid Pink, Animals (? -- written by Price)
My Babe -- Foghat (Righteous Brothers)
Doing Alright With The Boys -- Joan Jett (Gary Glitter)
Light of Day -- Joan Jett (Bruce Springsten, though I think Joan recorded it first)
No Fun -- Sex Pistols (Stooges)
Do You Wanna Dance? -- Ramones, Beach Boys (Bobby Freeman?)
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl -- Ten Years After (Sonny Boy Williamson?)
If You Were Mine -- Mitch Ryder (Prince)
Woodstock -- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (Joni Mitchell)
Money -- Pretenders, Beatles (Barrett Strong)
Ain't That A Shame -- Cheap Trick (Fats Domino)

Teaser by Motley Crue is a passable cover, but Tommy Bolin's original is better, IMO.

Covers that should never have been recorded:

Woodstock -- Matthew's Southern Comfort (Joni Mitchell)
You Keep Me Hanging On -- Rod Stewart, Vanilla Fudge (Supremes)

Spoke
02-28-2000, 10:29 AM
One great one I can't leave out:

Midnight Special- as performed by Credence Clearwater Revival (Orig. by ???)

Don't know who originally wrote/recorded this number, but it is an old song. Heck, there's even an old episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Andy plays the tune sitting on his front porch.

02-28-2000, 10:42 AM
Springsteen, I mean.

longjohn:
In the Bad category, the really really Bad Category:
Bruce Willis murdering Under the Boardwalk

Forgot to mention, he also covered Respect Yourself (Staple Singers), with the help of the Pointer Sisters, I think. While I actually liked that version, I agree that we shouldn't be encouraging Willis to sing.

Liberal
02-28-2000, 12:46 PM
John

And weren't One and Easy to be Hard from the musical [i]Hair[/]?

Easy to be Hard was. Not sure about One.

(Dang, I hope all that UBB made it through!)

Liberal
02-28-2000, 12:49 PM
:rolleyes:

02-29-2000, 08:27 AM
spoke-:

Midnight Special- as performed by Credence Clearwater Revival (Orig. by ???)

Can't help with the original, but Johnny Rivers recorded an up-tempo version of it a few years earlier on his live album. On the same album, he covered Chuck Berry's Memphis and the Secret Agent Man theme song. Along with these, add the Blues Brothers version of the Peter Gunn theme to my list of favorites.

Lib, the only Three Dog Night album I have is a greatest hits collection, and it doesn't list any credits. I don't think One was originally theirs, though. Lots of Hair tunes got covered that year, including the theme song, Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In, and Good Morning Starshine, and I thought One was the first, and among the best-selling. Maybe somebody with the soundtrack can confirm or refute.

Hoopy Frood
08-19-2002, 11:48 AM
No one's mentioned Run DMC's cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way."

Granted, I'm not a fan of rap, but this is a song that not only helped bring rap into the mainstream, but relaunched Aerosmith's career after it was all but in the toilet.

Another one unmentioned was the Beach Boy's cover of "California Dreamin'."

And on the bad side, we can't forget Mariah Carey's version of "Without You" by Nilsson.

Gaudere
08-19-2002, 01:33 PM
[Moderator Hat ON]

Moving to Cafe Society.

[Moderator Hat OFF]

Intaglio
08-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Here's a good one

Tina Turner covering John Waite's "Missing You".

Intaglio
08-19-2002, 10:41 PM
I forgot one

Smashing Pumpkins covering Fleetwood Macs "Landslide"

jackelope
08-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Is no one going to mention Nirvana's cover, on the MTV Unplugged album, of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"? That song, while totally kicking ass in its own right, was also the catalyst that got me to take Nirvana (and Kurt Cobain) seriously, as people who understood the tradition they were coming from. I'd put that at the very top of my list of covers that beat the original.

(And incidentally, no cover of any Beatles song even makes the list. There is no point in covering a Beatles song.)

Dragon Phoenix
08-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Covers I love, and in all cases improvements on the original (IMHO of course):

Peter Gabriel "Suzanne"
Carpenters "This masquerade"
MMEB "Blinded by the light"
Natalie Imbruglia "Torn"
Bryan Ferry "Where or when"
Tori Amos "Time"

Labdad
08-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Johnny Winter's cover of "Highway 61 Revisited"

Intaglio
08-23-2002, 10:13 PM
I came by this cover by accident.

"Cruel Summer" covered by Ace of Base, originally done by Bananarama

Also another good cover, When I use to listen to Country Music]

"Fancy" covered by Reba McIntire, originally done by Jeannie C. Riley (I think)

fizgig
08-24-2002, 01:19 AM
"Walk this way" ~ Leftover Salmon

"Helter Skelter" ~ Government Mule

"Accross the Universe" ~ Rufus Wainright

"Gin N' Juice" ~ Phish

"Head Like a Hole" ~Devo (NIN)

"Cinnamon Girl" ~Smashing Pumpkins

"Where the Streets Have No Name" ~Petshop Boys

Most of Dwight Yoakum's covers, i.e. "Wichita Lineman," "Ring of Fire."

These aren't necessarily better than the originals, but stand on their own as good covers.

As far as the carwreck type bad that you can't look away from: Pat Boone's entire album "In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy."

Intaglio
08-25-2002, 09:52 AM
I like Seal's cover of "Fly Like An Eagle" by The Steve Miller Band