PDA

View Full Version : anglo saxon time zone

The Flying Dutchman
01-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Why do the British insist on a different time than the rest of western Europe. Is GMT the last vestige of British aloofness from continental Europe?

Brutus
01-20-2004, 12:01 AM
It is because Great Britain is further west then W.Europe. As is Ireland, Portugal, and Iceland (other nations in the +/-0 GMT timezone, along with some African nations)

UDS
01-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Since Greenwich is in Britain, GMT is closely aligned to solar time for most of Britain and, in that sense, is the "right" time zone for Britain.

And for France, which is on a similar longitude. In fact, at one time France and Britain were on the same time zone. It was the French who changed, to move into line with their neighbours to the east. I do not know when this happened, but I guess it had to do with the fact that France shares a lengthy border with a number of countries on to the East, and as their economies and societies became more closely integrated - especially in border regions - the practical advantages of co-ordinating the timezone came to outweigh the theortical advantages of close alignment with solar time. I guess, but I do not know, that the Spanish changed at the same time. The Poruguese are still on GMT.

The Flying Dutchman
01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
If you check this site (http://www.timeticker.com/main.htm), there is not one continental European country on GMT including Portugal.

UDS
01-20-2004, 02:03 AM
If you check this site (http://www.timeticker.com/main.htm), there is not one continental European country on GMT including Portugal.
I've checked the site. Portugal is named as being part of the GMT timezone. (Mind you, it's not coloured in on the map, but it is named.)

Galanthus
01-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Because if we where it would get dark here at 2:30 pm in the afternoon in winter and in Scotland it would be even worse. Aloofness my arse ....

jjimm
01-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Why do the British insist on a different time than the rest of western Europe. Is GMT the last vestige of British aloofness from continental Europe?Portugal is indeed on the same time zone as the UK. And so is Ireland. Bear in mind that the Scots, Welsh, Irish, and Portuguese are not Anglo-Saxon, and people from the Republic of Ireland and Portugal are not British.

And it's to do with longitude, not politics.

Personally I would like to remain on Summer Time all year round (which is the equivalent of ECT - not European Summer Time), but in the UK and in Ireland we go to GMT for six months during the winter, which makes it get darker earlier.

Milum
01-20-2004, 06:04 AM
Galanthus: Because if we where it would get dark here at 2:30 pm in the afternoon in winter and in Scotland it would be even worse. Aloofness my arse ....
Oooooh, Galanthus, I do so love it when you English types say "Aloofness my arse..."
It is so...so... British! You know, like spelling ass, " arse" and all.
It is just so, uh, ...refined and aloof! :)

ruadh
01-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Is this the silliest GD ever?

jjimm
01-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Oooooh, Galanthus, I do so love it when you English types say "Aloofness my arse..."
It is so...so... British! You know, like spelling ass, " arse" and all.
It is just so, uh, ...refined and aloof! :)Thing is, Milly, we don't say "ass" - we say "arse", pronounced "ahs" if you're English and don't pronounce your trailing Rs, or "arse" if you do pronounce them (e.g. Irish and Scots).

Galanthus
01-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Doh! In my rush to reply to this thread I got the effects the wrong way round. jjimm is right.

The reason for GMT use in the winter is so those of is in the north of the country and Scotland have some actual daylight in the morning ...

yojimbo
01-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Is this the silliest GD ever? It's certainly up there.

London_Calling
01-20-2004, 06:44 AM
It's the fault of the Scots! I blooody knew it . . .

Futile Gesture
01-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Tsk. Time zone snobbery you say? In parts of the UK it's an entirely different year zone. GMT -50 years; Johnny Foreigner knows his place and where to stick his toy money, "Rule Britannia" is top of the hit parade and it's tea-time around the wireless with the BBC Light Programme. :)

Rayne Man
01-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Tsk. Time zone snobbery you say? In parts of the UK it's an entirely different year zone. GMT -50 years; Johnny Foreigner knows his place and where to stick his toy money, "Rule Britannia" is top of the hit parade and it's tea-time around the wireless with the BBC Light Programme. :)

Sounds like the average Daily Mail reader

jjimm
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
jjimm is right.Just thought I'd repeat that for anyone who missed it. ;)

If I had a euro for every time someone said that phrase... Ee, I'd have about 2 by now.