PDA

View Full Version : tape to DVD

NadaHappyCamper
03-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Would i be afoul of the copyright (or other) laws by transfering vhs to dvd? i would like to pick up a little xtra income offering this service , if the tapes are already owned by my customers i can see no illegality. :confused:

NadaHappyCamper

slu
03-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Would i be afoul of the copyright (or other) laws by transfering vhs to dvd? i would like to pick up a little xtra income offering this service , if the tapes are already owned by my customers i can see no illegality. :confused:

NadaHappyCamper

You'll need to get by the pesky copy protection that "prevents" you from copying VHS to VHS.

IANAL, but it sounds like fair use to me. Like copying your LP's to cassette or CD.

slu
03-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I meant VHS to DVD (or I guess anything for that matter)...but that doesn't really matter in the long run.

kinoons
03-31-2004, 02:23 AM
IANAL as well, but I would not see any issues with this. You are charging people for your time and use of your equipment. As long as they own the VHS tape in question, and you dont keep anything you record for them, I don't believe there would be an issue with this.