PDA

View Full Version : Fuck you, Ad Aware

Ellis Dee
04-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Fuck you, Ad Aware.

You are a piece of garbage. Thanks so much for destroying the internet for me.

I see that another doper had recommended you, so I downloaded and ran you.

And what did you find? 224 objects. I am using the automatic "wizard" approach, and you take care of all 224 for me. Great! That was painless.

And I haven't been able to access the internet since. This was 3 hours ago. I have since scanned for viruses, deleted all internet temporary files, deleted and disabled all cookies, run scandisk, defragged, and cold booted the system. And I still can't use the internet.

But how am I posting this message? Good question, I'm glad you asked.

Every single session on the internet is now following this pattern:

First page: Loads slow (30 seconds), browser hangs for 20 seconds after everything is loaded -- hyperlinks and toolbar buttons unavailable during this 20 second "blackout".

Second page: Loads very slowly (1 minute), browser hangs for a full minute after everything is loaded.

Third page: Loads extremely slowly (2.5 minutes), browser hangs for several minutes after everything is loaded.

Fourth page: Internal browser error - press "OK" to close browser.

The nice thing is that it doesn't matter what those pages are. No matter where I go, this happens.

Fuck you, Ad Aware, and a special go fuck yourself to the piece of human excrement who recommended it.

WTF am I supposed to do? How in the fuck can I fix this fucking mess?

Any help is desperately needed. Although I am seriously concerned I may never be able to get back here to read it.

I remember, just a few hours ago, when I could, for instance, check my fucking hotmail. Boy those were the days.

Fucking piece of shit.

You'll forgive me if I don't preview.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
04-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Generally, AdAware gives you the option to "restore" the files that it deleted - I had to do this when Kazaa stopped working for me because AdAware had deleted one of its files. If you open the quarantine list, you can restore the files you just quarantined.

Ogre
04-13-2004, 11:26 PM
How strange. I update and run AdAware at least twice a week. It's never, ever treated me like that.

LolaBaby
04-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I've never had any problems with it either.

WernhamHogg
04-13-2004, 11:28 PM
I think maybe Ad Aware isn't your problem.

jayjay
04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
What browser do you use? Maybe AdAware deleted a piece of spyware that's required for the browser to run?

DoperChic
04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Please note: I am not a computer programmer, tech person, etc., but rather just a person who has had similar experiences in the past and have fixed them in the following manner. So please take the following bit of advice knowing that.

I have, on at least two occasions, had my internet suddenly go kaput on me. Whether it was due to a downloaded virus or my computer just decided to screw me for whatever reason, I don't know. Again, I'm not a programmer or computer tech, so I have no real way of knowing the source of the problem.

Anywho... To fix it, I did what is known as a system restore. From how I understand the process, every month or so, your computer takes a snapshot of sorts of what is going on at the time. By doing a System Restore, you take your computer back to one of these "Restore Points". I always take things back at least 3 months or more. In doing a System Restore, no documents saved since the restore point are lost, and the whole process is completely reversible.

To do a System Restore, first click on the "Start" button on the taskbar, then Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then System Restore. Follow the prompts and you should be good to go.

As if I hadn't said this enough... I am not a computer tech of any sort, nor do I pretend to be one, so take this advice with that in mind. This is one - reversible -suggestion based on a problem I had in the past and what I did to fix it. Good luck. Keep us posted (if you can).

DoperChic

Daizy
04-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Download and run this winsock fix (http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm). That should do it.

GaWd
04-13-2004, 11:36 PM
AdAware user of several years. Great program. Solved many a spyware problem for me. I've never had this problem Ellis, and as a previous poster mentioned, you can restore all of your removed files by:

1- Opening program
2- Clicking on the link on the front of the page that says "Open Quarantine List"
3- Click on the quarantined items
4- Click button at bottom of page that says "restore"

You may need to reboot for these changes to take effect.

Go to AdAware's support website: www.lavasoftsupport.com and post your problem. Psst- http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24016

This is a much better response than cussing, bitching, and blaming people who make a free product that works pretty fucking good.

Sam

Paranoid Randroid
04-13-2004, 11:37 PM
What browser do you use? Maybe AdAware deleted a piece of spyware that's required for the browser to run?

That's my guess. There's a lot of spyware out there masquerading as useful programs; if you remove the spyware component, the software will often cease working completely. I believe this is covered in the Adaware help files. Have you installed anything that "aids" browser performance? Have you tried accessing the internet with another browser?

astro
04-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Per what TMINC said, unless you were hasty enough to delete the quarantined files before you knew the system worked proply post cleanup, you can un-quarantine them to get your system operation back.

Some spyware/crapware applets are (IMO) borderline virus-like in what they do to your system, and the low level stunts they pull. About half the time I use adaware for a badly infested systems some spyware/adware applet has re-assigned internal IP addresses, and when they are removed the browser does not have the proper default addresses. When this happens I have to download and use a winsock repair tool afterwards before the internet will operate properly again.

Darkhold
04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Something got it's filthy little tendrils into your system config or your browser. When adware clipped it your system suffered. Restore your quarantine file and start looking through the objects. Remove them again one at a time and see which is the culprit. Then go online and look for a way to remove that file without screwing everything up.

Darkhold
04-13-2004, 11:39 PM
I see now I was way slow on the draw. Teach me to chat and post at the same time.

elucidator
04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Ad Aware is not the AntiChrist.com. Gator is the AntiChrist.com.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
04-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Ad Aware is not the AntiChrist.com. Gator is the AntiChrist.com.

Hmmm... You're sure Bonzi isn't the AntiChrist.com?

tomndebb
04-14-2004, 07:17 AM
No, Bonzi is The Beast.com.

TwistofFate
04-14-2004, 08:04 AM
My Fun Web Products are the horsemenoftheapocalypse.com

FilmGeek
04-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Isn't it funny how the OP blames Ad Aware AND the person who recommended it, but not him or herself for using the "auto" option. These things aren't infallible.

Get over yourself, admit you fucked up, restore your quarantine list and get on with your life.

FilmGeek - ad aware and spybot S&D user because of these boards.

Giraffe
04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Isn't it funny how the OP blames Ad Aware AND the person who recommended it, but not him or herself for using the "auto" option. These things aren't infallible.I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the OP. How can you call someone a piece of human excrement for telling you what tool is normally used to fix your problem?

OP: "How am I going to cut these vegetables??"
random Internet user: "I would use a knife."
OP: "Asshole! Now my hand is bleeding! Fucking knives! This is bullshit!"
random Internet user: "Um, you're supposed to hold it by the handle..."

I was also wondering why he/she wasn't blaming the 224 (!) pieces of spyware that were on his/her system to begin with.

mouthbreather
04-14-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm not crazy about adaware or spybot. They both work for somethings, but even with updated definitions, they were missing a piece of spyware on my PC.

Webroot's Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php) is, in my opinion, better than either of them. But, like crack, the first one's always free. They give you a free install and free updates for 30 days but then after 30 days you pay for the updates. SpySweeper is a little overzealous in wanting to quarrantine some of your cookies, but overall I liked it the best of the three.

Here's (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1523288,00.asp) a link to PC Magazine's review of the product.

bluetrust
04-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Isn't it funny how the OP blames Ad Aware AND the person who recommended it, but not him or herself for using the "auto" option. These things aren't infallible.

Get over yourself, admit you fucked up, restore your quarantine list and get on with your life.

FilmGeek - ad aware and spybot S&D user because of these boards.

Damaged Winsock

The "Winsock" is the Windows networking system for TCP/IP, the Internet protocol. The design of the Winsock allows legitimate add-on software to plug itself into the system, in order to add or change network functionality. These "Winsock plugins" are called "LSPs". Unfortunately, this means that malicious software can plug itself into the Winsock as well.

Early versions of AdAware and SpyBot would sometimes damage the Winsock when removing malicious LSPs. Current versions are not known to have this problem, as great care is being taken to avoid it. If it appears that your Windows networking has been damaged by the removal of a piece of malware, the LSP-Fix site at CEXX.org has a discussion of the issue and a piece of software that may fix the problem. However, in some cases, the only way to fix a truly broken network system in Windows XP is to reinstall the OS.

Hey asshole, AdAware is to blame, not the OP. Try searching for "adaware winsock" on Google. Whoa, look at that, it recklessly deletes registry keys necessary for browser operation! It can also fail to remove spyware attached to winsock! Sometimes it's even necessary to reinstall Windows XP!

AdAware is a reckless piece of shit masquerading as a trustworthy program for removing spyware. In my experience, I've seen three laptops with their internet connection broken within the last year by AdAware. One of those laptops was mine.

If a doctor accidentally cut off my hand when I went in for an infected fingernail, I'm going to be pissed at the doctor's incompetence, just like the OP is, and I'm going to have a right to complain.

Bluetrust - Computer programmer for 15 years
Owner of AloofHosting.com

Giraffe
04-14-2004, 07:16 PM
If a doctor accidentally cut off my hand when I went in for an infected fingernail, I'm going to be pissed at the doctor's incompetence, just like the OP is, and I'm going to have a right to complain.This is an excellent analogy. Except that unlike a doctor, neither AdAware or the SDMB user who recommended it were performing a service for the OP, but instead providing the OP with a tool to fix a problem. And doctors get paid. And having to reinstall Windows isn't quite the same as losing a hand.

On second thought, it's not a good analogy at all.

Darkhold
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
[quoteCurrent versions are not known to have this problem, as great care is being taken to avoid it.[/quote]Yeah what a horrific piece of shit. They had a problem in early versions that they took 'great care' to aviod in newer releases.

We should take them out and burn them alive for their free program that wasn't perfect from the moment it was developed.

Dead Badger
04-14-2004, 07:45 PM
If a doctor accidentally cut off my hand when I went in for an infected fingernail, I'm going to be pissed at the doctor's incompetence, just like the OP is, and I'm going to have a right to complain.
Seriously, though - "piece of human excrement" for recommending in good faith a program with a bug that affects very few people? Come on, now. Your own quote suggests that they've fixed it, and the site hosting the fix tool continues to recommend Ad-Aware for spyware removal. As does the site you quote, in fact.

GaWd
04-14-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm not crazy about adaware or spybot. They both work for somethings, but even with updated definitions, they were missing a piece of spyware on my PC.

Webroot's Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php) is, in my opinion, better than either of them. But, like crack, the first one's always free. They give you a free install and free updates for 30 days but then after 30 days you pay for the updates. SpySweeper is a little overzealous in wanting to quarrantine some of your cookies, but overall I liked it the best of the three.

Here's (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1523288,00.asp) a link to PC Magazine's review of the product.

I thought this was interesting, so I decided to experiment a little.

I've always had AdAware on this machine, so I ran it through. It found 129 pieces of questionable data.

Then I downloaded Spybot-it only found 42 pieces.

Then I downloaded SpySweeper. Fuck is the engine on this thing slow! It is currently sitting at 82 pieces found. 78 of those are cookies.

So it looks like AdAware is the winner.

Sam

Darkhold
04-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Adware and Spybot use different methods so they get different results (like reg cleaners for instance.....I run three and they all get different things)

I use Adware and Spybot on a regular basis. Spybot never gets anything anymore but the first few times I used it it really got some nasty crap out of my system that adware didn't do anything to.

Karmagun
04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey asshole, AdAware is to blame, not the OP.

Watch your language, please.

Bluetrust - Computer programmer for 15 years

Basic or Logo?

Owner of AloofHosting.com

Plug! Plug!

Now seriously, when Ad-aware finishes scanning your system it presents you with a list of items that are by default unchecked, i.e. they will not be deleted unless you make an effort to delete them. Usually, the great majority of what it finds are cookies. If they're there, it will discover running processes such as Gator.

Anyway, if you have the option to delete or not delete a file, and you even have the option to restore the files you've deleted...

What was that line about casting the stone if you're without sin?

SPOOFE
04-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Whoa, look at that, it recklessly deletes registry keys necessary for browser operation!
Actually, it recklessly deletes registry keys that had already been corrupted by malicious software.

Do I get to call you an asshole now? :D

Fish
04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Out of curiosity, can you tell us the URL where you downloaded Ad Aware? As far as I know, www.adaware.com and www.ad-aware.com are two different locations. One is Ada Ware, one is Ad-Aware.

I confess I'm no expert in either program, but I did observe when I tried going to adaware.com I didn't seem to get to exactly what I wanted. Ada Ware claimed (when I last visited) to have a spyware-removing program.

Giraffe
04-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Out of curiosity, can you tell us the URL where you downloaded Ad Aware? As far as I know, www.adaware.com and www.ad-aware.com are two different locations. One is Ada Ware, one is Ad-Aware.

I confess I'm no expert in either program, but I did observe when I tried going to adaware.com I didn't seem to get to exactly what I wanted. Ada Ware claimed (when I last visited) to have a spyware-removing program.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Accept no substitutes.

mouthbreather
04-15-2004, 12:16 AM
So it looks like AdAware is the winner.

Well, obviously, use what you think is best for you. But, as stated above, last time I had spyware on my machine, both spybot and adaware were not picking it up.

Spysweeper got it. I'll stick with them.

But, you are correct that that scan takes a while. I usually kick it off when I about to step away from the PC and let it run.

Merijeek
04-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, obviously, use what you think is best for you. But, as stated above, last time I had spyware on my machine, both spybot and adaware were not picking it up.

Spysweeper got it. I'll stick with them.

But, you are correct that that scan takes a while. I usually kick it off when I about to step away from the PC and let it run.

IME, Adaware is less caustic, Spybot is more thorough.

I run Adaware first because it's less likely to prune something necessary, and if Adaware still hasn't managed to kill whatever is annoying my user, I run Spybot and cross my fingers.

But that's just my experience.

-Joe

bluetrust
04-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Basic or Logo?
Plug! Plug!
What was that line about casting the stone if you're without sin?

My software doesn't damage users' computers irrepairably.

And that wasn't a plug of my site, but a statement of my qualifications. I manage 8,000 websites -- photos of your cat looking cute aren't going to make or break my business.

I'll add to my original statement of dislike for AdAware that once it breaks the internet connection, the restore feature doesn't return the system to its pre-AdAware state. If it did, I'd have said, "sometimes it screws up, but just hit the restore button and try another program."

Quartz
04-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Count me as another happy Adaware user.

lno
04-15-2004, 03:09 PM
My software doesn't damage users' computers irrepairably.Apparently your software is so good that you've never needed to release an updated version, as you seem to have glossed over the text of your exact quote. Bolded text is my emphasis.Early versions of AdAware and SpyBot would sometimes damage the Winsock when removing malicious LSPs. Current versions are not known to have this problem, as great care is being taken to avoid it.Now, neither of us know what version of AdAware the OP used, but you do look a little fast on the trigger there, sport. Unless, of course, you've never written a bug.

Frank
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Unless, of course, you've never written a bug.
I've never written a bug. I write features. I've written features to erase pay history, features to create a blank screen, features to ... well, features to do darn near anything the user never knew they wanted!

lno
04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
I've never written a bug. I write features. I've written features to erase pay history, features to create a blank screen, features to ... well, features to do darn near anything the user never knew they wanted!In that case, I don't write bugs or features -- I write job security. :)

TwistofFate
04-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Woo! 8,000 websites! that really qualifies you to rubbish Adaware. Do any of your websites host ad banners for Gator, Bonzi buddy, Claria, My Fun Web Stuff, Precision time, Date manager, or any of the other crap that clogs up machines?

I use Adaware on a considerable number of machines and have found it to be a thoroughly brilliant tool.

But I suppose my qualifications don't include managing 8,000 websites so maybe my opinion doesn't count. I don't dance the hoochie-coo either. :rolleyes:

Fear Itself
04-16-2004, 09:13 AM
I have used AdAware on literally hundreds of different computers in the last two years, and only two of them suffered any ill effects, ie winsock damage, which was easily repaired. And that was with Adaware 5.0, which had a problem with winsock and newdotnet.

I thought this was interesting, so I decided to experiment a little.

I've always had AdAware on this machine, so I ran it through. It found 129 pieces of questionable data.

Then I downloaded Spybot-it only found 42 pieces.Yeah, but if you look close, they are not all the same items. Spybot finds stuff that Adaware doesn't, and vice versa. Just yesterday I serviced a computer that had 842 items cleaned under Adaware, then Spybot found an additional 65 items. I use both, the old belt-and-suspenders approach.

Horrifying Howler Monkey
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
I do tech support one of the largests ISPs in the States. To my knowledge ad-aware is the only 3rd party software we recommend customers install. We aren't even allowed to recommend an anti-virus program for fear it will damage something on the computer and we will be held responsible.
I've never gotten a call where someone has had a problem with it either.

GaWd
04-16-2004, 09:50 AM
I have used AdAware on literally hundreds of different computers in the last two years, and only two of them suffered any ill effects, ie winsock damage, which was easily repaired. And that was with Adaware 5.0, which had a problem with winsock and newdotnet.

Yeah, but if you look close, they are not all the same items. Spybot finds stuff that Adaware doesn't, and vice versa. Just yesterday I serviced a computer that had 842 items cleaned under Adaware, then Spybot found an additional 65 items. I use both, the old belt-and-suspenders approach.

You know what's even more interesting? I removed the crap that Spybot found, all 82 items. THen I re-ran AdAware, and it found nothing...wonder that happened to the rest of those 129 Items. The only thing I can figure is that the 2 programs found basically the same stuff but that the things Spybot found were somehow parts of more of the 129 items.

Sam

sailor
04-16-2004, 12:52 PM
EarthLink said it uncovered an average of 28 spyware programs on each PC scanned (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3633167.stm)

I don't know what you people do with your computers but I spend countless hours browsing and in all these years I have never used any kind of anti-virus or any other ad-aware-type software and I have *never* been infected by anything. I have my browser safely configured, run Zonealarm and don't open anything I am not sure of. That's it. Never had a problem.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
04-16-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm curious to know how you know you've never been infected or affected by a virus or spyware if you don't have any software to detect them. Certainly, the thing that drives most people to download something like ad-aware or Norton Antivirus is the fact that there is some visible indication that something is up (like pop up ads suddenly appearing) but many, many times, especially with viral infections, they can be absolutely "invisible" and you may never know they're there.

And just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it's not bad for you./

sailor
04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I regularly check to see what processes are running and anything new gets inspected. This way I have disabled a ton of junk that every piece of hardware or software installs. Everybody should be failiar with the processess running in their computer.

Once in a while I run a web based virus check like http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/ and they have never come up with anything.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
04-16-2004, 01:38 PM
This way I have disabled a ton of junk that every piece of hardware or software installs.

That's not the same as never having been affected by spyware - that just means you're doing manually what programs like Ad-aware etc do automatically.

GaWd
04-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Much like Sailor, I spent years and years without protection and had no problem-though Zonelabs could arguably be considered "preventative" protection as it alerts you to most connections. In the last year, however, I've had nothing but trouble.

Used to be, I could run Ad-Aware and come up with a bunch of cookies(that I could really care less if they existed or not), and that was all. Now, since Malware, spyware, and unwanted software pushes are the norm-not the exception-I choose to run Ad-Aware once a reboot.

I had one helluva time a few months ago-I'd leave my computer for an hour and come back to find hundreds of software popups. Not just internet popups, but active software downloads. I spent weeks deleting cookies and programs and examining running programs and processes. While that worked, it really only held the attack off. I had to run Ad-Aware and arm myself with their actively running Ad-Watch program to finally stop the invasion.

Sam

sailor
04-16-2004, 02:34 PM
That's not the same as never having been affected by spyware - that just means you're doing manually what programs like Ad-aware etc do automatically.Nope. You are confusing different types of software. I have never been affected by spyware, popup, browser hijackers or any such software..

Here's an interesting tidbit: http://www.chinatechnews.com/index.php?action=show&type=news&id=1117

Last week, ChinaTechNews covered the lawsuit raised by a Mr. Shi against Internet company 3721, owned by Yahoo!, for an alleged infringement of his rights after he found that 3721 had interfered with his computer, deleting the existing rival Baidu software on his terminal, and also found that searches for information from other websites were being illegally monitored and shielded.

It is now being reported that visitors to the 3721 site will automatically download a .dll file to their MS Explorer, directing the user back to 3721 automatically whenever a search is performed.

Norton has since classified this file as a virus, even though it is not self-replicating--the announcement can be found here.

Industry analysts are monitoring the effects this will have both on Yahoo! and it's Chinese colleague--with what amounts to a US backdoor beginning to be installed on Chinese computers.

danceswithcats
04-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Count me as another happy user of AdAware 6.0 and Spybot S&D. They do indeed find different things, and depending upon settings may or may not accomplish the task.

Example: I knew something nasty was in the box, and ran Spybot first, then AdAware. Nasty thing still there. Changed AdAware settings to Proctologist with an Attitude and it found 36 more nasties. Problem gone.

Regarding the 'System Restore' option, I'd imagine that Doper is using an OS newer than 98SE, as it isn't on my System Tools list. I get the same, and likely better options from using Roxio Go-Back, now part of the nice folks at Symantec who bring you all things Norton.

Duck Duck Goose
04-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Changed AdAware settings to Proctologist with an Attitude

[eyes light up]

Hot dawg! How do I do that? Seriously. I run both Spybot and Adaware (the free home version) every day, and am always interested in ways to up the firepower I shoot at them bastidges...

Chefguy
04-17-2004, 09:59 AM

Fuck that, it's the Pit. :D

Here's an odd thing (or perhaps not, since I'm no techie): I've been running Spybot and Ad-Aware for some time now. I installed a router about a month ago and since then I've had zero hits on Spybot. Ad-Aware continues to slay the dragon. What gives?

Doomtrain
04-17-2004, 11:09 AM
I believe I've read Spybot is only updated once a month or so because it's a guy doing it in his free time., whereas Ad-Aware is updated constantly. I dunno, Ad-Aware is now number 1 for me, I use Spybot only from time to time.

jsleek
04-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Take pride that you've stopped the barbarians, but some of us are taking care of other people's computers. I work with elementary school machines. Those kids always fall for 'click the monkey' flashy stuff.

Merijeek
04-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Take pride that you've stopped the barbarians, but some of us are taking care of other people's computers. I work with elementary school machines. Those kids always fall for 'click the monkey' flashy stuff.

God damn.

I spend a lot of time doing work in schools, and I can't go 15 minutes without someone begging me to fix their computer.

The kids put all sorts of shit on the machines...but teachers are just as bad.

All that time they spend filtering porn, you think they could filter pure machine-destroying shit...

-Joe

slortar
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
If I had a dollar for ever time I've had to give the "Hotbar is eeeeevil" speech to my coworkers I'd be retired by now.

"But slortar," they say. "I can't live without my email enhancing buttons. And I just love that toolbar to death."

Slortar raises the baseball bat, a grim and steely glint in his eye...

So, what's everybody's record for most objects found in Adaware? My company record is currently in the mid-400's.

Daizy
04-20-2004, 10:03 AM
So, what's everybody's record for most objects found in Adaware? My company record is currently in the mid-400's.
Funny you should ask. I had a client last week with over 800. :eek: My lectures fall on deaf ears. (sigh)
The computer I'm working on today, has ZoneAlarm installed. I was soooooo proud of my client....until I took a gander inside, and see that they've allowed access to absolutely everything it's come across. (double sigh)

Fear Itself
04-20-2004, 11:12 AM
So, what's everybody's record for most objects found in Adaware? My company record is currently in the mid-400's.842 with AdAware, and another 65 picked up by SpyBot. Damn thing would hardly even boot up.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
04-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Anyone notice the OP hasn't been back to the board since he opened this thread?

slortar
04-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Wow. My coworkers have serious catching up to do. Has anyone broken the 4 digit barrier yet?

BlackKnight
04-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Ad-Aware found over 1600 items on my brother's computer.

Spybot S&D then found 70+ more.

I have no idea how this happened. He said he hadn't installed anything.

In the past, I've often been amazed at my brother's ability to morph a perfectly good computer into something wretched to behold. I don't know how he does it.

I do know that a few weeks ago he told me, "You should join the Guards. They need computer guys like you. They've put me in charge of keeping the computers here running, and yes, that scares me too."

China Guy
04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
thanks to all the suggestions. CWshredder finally got whatever spawn of satan was on my machine.

Seems like rebooting in the safe mode helped as well before running the various killer apps

Once again thanks to everyone

Ogre
04-21-2004, 04:02 AM
thanks to all the suggestions. CWshredder finally got whatever spawn of satan was on my machine.

Seems like rebooting in the safe mode helped as well before running the various killer apps

Once again thanks to everyone :confused: Are you Ellis Dee?

slortar
04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
I found one this morning that defeated Spybot, Adaware and Hijack This. After about 3 hours, I finally established that I had to delete a registry key (after mucking around with the security permissions) under winlogon before I could even begin to remove it--it was set up in such a way that all virus/adware scanners picked it up as system software. Amazing how inventive these bastards are. I can't believe this sort of thing is legal.

1600. *shakes head in disbelief* The prize is in the mail. It could even boot with that load?

BlackKnight
04-21-2004, 03:32 PM
1600. *shakes head in disbelief* The prize is in the mail. It could even boot with that load?
Here's the kicker - it was a 450 MHz system.

(Granted, a significant portion of that 1600 were simply cookies. But it did have Gator, Bonzai Buddy, at least one auto-dialer, a couple of "search" tools, among others.)

Lobsang
04-22-2004, 01:58 AM
and a special go fuck yourself to the piece of human excrement who recommended it

Er, was that me, by any chance?

Whoopsie. If it was me, I aplopogise if it rogered your computer. It's worked a charm for me. Ran it just 20 minutes ago in fact (after stupidly installing a divx codec full of spyware)

Please don't look at me like that. You're scaring me.

Cillasi
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
It's deplorable the number of protection programs we have to use in order to browse the internet! In addition to a virus checker, I use Yahoo's pop-up blocker, PestPatrol to trap cookies, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. I keep my internet security to medium high.

I've never had a problem with Ad-aware - of course, I went through every file before deleting them - and the first time I ran Ad-aware, I also had over 200 parasites, which is why I use so much protection now. I have to admit that since I've been using the pop-up blocker and PestPatrol, I have not contracted any spy or adware. However, another factor may be that my son, with whom I shared a computer previously, no longer uses my computer - he has one of his own.

Even he does not encounter so many problems anymore and he hasn't installed the protections I have. He uses McAfee virus scanner (which catches things other than viruses, which Norton does not), ad-aware, and keeps his internet security to medium high or high.

IMHO, keeping your internet security to a high setting allows safer browsing. Things won't download automatically, which they sometimes do at a medium setting. Instead, you'll get popups asking if you want to install.

There is a new trend these days - you get a popup wanting to install something and when you click "no" it tells you that you must install "so-and-so" in order to view the page. It's a lie. You'll get the pop-up 2-3 times and finally it will go away. Frankly, I feel I don't need to visit sites that try to force feed me popup ads and insist I install software I don't want.

The internet is fast becoming more frustrating than it is informative and useful. I do hope we get some legislation soon to combat this nonsense.

And don't let me get started on e-mail spam....

Ellis Dee
05-05-2004, 09:47 AM
I am back online as of 10 minutes ago. I still have much configuring to do, so I won't be posting for a little bit.

Thanks for the replies...I tried many of the tips but nothing worked.

badmana
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
CWS (CoolWebSearch) is one of the few maleware programs that cannot be removed by Ad-aware. I battled this demon spawn on my GF's machine 2 days ago (and reponded to a thread about it in GQ). It's an interesting bitch in that it creates random DLL files if you delete it (Ad-aware can find the DLL file but cannot remove the auto-replication program).

I've never heard of Ad-aware problems and I've ran in on several dozen machines. I admit though, since I don't use Winsock, I didn't realize it had issues with it.

And I too never really use Ad-aware and/or anti-virus programs. Like safe sex, I practise safe computer clicking. I also use a router that deflects a lot of attacks.

Eliahna
05-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Fuck you, Ad Aware, and a special go fuck yourself to the piece of human excrement who recommended it.Well you'll just have to excuse me while I go on recommending it to people. Considering all the experience I've had with AdAware to date, I think the problem here is more likely to be a faulty keyboard attachment than an evil plot by AdAware to ruin the Internet experience for unwary consumers.

I've been using the software for a long time now and on many computers, and I have recommended it to many friends, family members and strangers on this very board, and this is the first time I've heard of such a problem occuring. It's a shame it had to be you, but I think you'll find this is the exception rather than the rule.

jweb
05-05-2004, 06:19 PM
My uncle's system (used primarily by his 12-year-old daughter) had over 2200 pieces of spyware on it, according to AdAware. Had to run it 6 times to get everything cleaned off.

Damn thing was a 2.5 ghz P4 with 512 MB RAM, and would take 40 seconds to open IE.

I installed Mozilla for them, put the IE skin on it, redirected the IE graphic on the desktop to point to Mozilla, and left it. I haven't heard a complaint since.

legion
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Fuck you, Ad Aware.

I've been using Ad Aware for ages with no problem.

I did , however, recently develope a problem with Nero cd burner. It's refuses to run, saying that the Nero executable has been modified, possibley by a virus.

I downloaded a freeware virus killer, ran it, and now have several more exe's that refuse to run. Worse still, the virus killer cleared out my System Restore calander, so I can't even put things back to how they were.

Who's the jerk, me or the guy who wrote the free virus software I ran?

That's right, me!

Fear Itself
05-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Worse still, the virus killer cleared out my System Restore calander, so I can't even put things back to how they were.That's standard operating procedure for virus removal, though I am not aware of any AV programs that disable system restore for you. But all of the major programs (Norton, Mcafee, AVG, etc.) instruct WInXP & ME users to disable System Restore (which deletes all the save points) before attempting to remove a virus with the scanner. The reason is, Windows will not let AV programs modify files in the Restore folder, but viruses are usually copied there within the restore points. The only way to clean them is to delete them.

pasunejen
05-06-2004, 12:54 AM
In the past, I've often been amazed at my brother's ability to morph a perfectly good computer into something wretched to behold. I don't know how he does it.

Your brother sounds a lot like my sister. Last summer I cleaned her computer for her (somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 pieces) and told her what she'd been doing wrong and how to avoid having this happen in the future. Within a week her system was back to pre-Ad-Aware status and she told me she couldn't run Ad-Aware because she doesn't get computer stuff.

I just don't understand what's so hard about watching what boxes you click.

My dad recently decided that her desktop was trashed (regular antivirus software wasn't finding the stuff, natch, and he wouldn't listen to me about needing different software to deal with the problem because he is the computer guru in the house, dammit!). He just bought her a shiny new laptop to take off to college, complete with every bell and whistle you can imagine...I almost cry when I think of the damage being done to that poor machine even as I type.

slortar
05-06-2004, 09:03 AM
My uncle's system (used primarily by his 12-year-old daughter) had over 2200 pieces of spyware on it, according to AdAware. Had to run it 6 times to get everything cleaned off.

Dingdingdingdingdingding! Winner! :)

Jurph
05-06-2004, 10:12 AM

Damn thing was a 2.5 ghz P4 with 512 MB RAM, and would take 40 seconds to open IE.

I installed Mozilla for them, put the IE skin on it, redirected the IE graphic on the desktop to point to Mozilla, and left it. I haven't heard a complaint since.

Absolutely. Fucking1. Brilliant.

1 - This is the Pit, yeah?

Ellis Dee
05-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Woohoo, everything's all configured now, and my machine is humming along smoothly. Such a joy.

Let me begin by saying that my original rant was venting steam at my computer shitting the bed and the amount of time and effort I knew was going to be involved in fixing it. The moment I first ran Ad Aware was also the moment my machine shit the bed, so that's why I targetted Ad Aware in my rant. I do plan on re-downloading and running Ad Aware in the near future. I just didn't want to have to do what I ended up having to do. But here's my story:

My machine was Windows 95. Ad Aware didn't warn me about any issues with my operating system, and I stupidly assumed that meant it didn't have any issues. I maintained Windows 95 to be able to test for backward-compatibility with software I write and the installation routines that go with it. Hopefully I won't need to support any older OS's in the future.

I spent 7 hours trying to undo what Ad Aware did, to no avail. IE crashed and burned after loading a single page, so I could read your replies but not respond. I tried everything suggested to no avail.

I then spent about 15 hours backing up everything I cared about. It took that long because I had to use floppies. *shudder* 100+ megs moved off the machine with floppies.

Then I got Windows XP and installed it. It was painless, and I have to say I love XP now that I've seen it. However, the total install and setup time approached 8 hours.

So here I am, 3 weeks later and 30 hours lighter, but I got an OS upgrade out of the deal.

Ad Aware didn't cause the problem, but it damn sure was a catalyst for it. The fact that Ad Aware gave me no warning or indication that it might cause a problem made it worthy of a pitting.

I would have liked having access to the internet during the NFL draft, seeing as how my beloved Giants were heavy in the mix, but life goes on.

Merijeek
05-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Then I got Windows XP and installed it. It was painless, and I have to say I love XP now that I've seen it. However, the total install and setup time approached 8 hours.

So here I am, 3 weeks later and 30 hours lighter, but I got an OS upgrade out of the deal.

Well, if you're running XP on the same machine you had 95 on, I have to wonder how long you'll be loving it...

-Joe

Wasabee
05-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Just wanted to chime in... Adware destroyed my internet capabilities as well. My computer geek/expert roommate spent a few days trying to fix it. We had to wipe my whole computer and then reinstall.. but since I had a crappy Compaq alot of stuff wouldn't work after the reinstall. Adware can blow me for starting a terrible chain reaction. That's right blow me Adware!

Fear Itself
05-09-2004, 08:38 AM
If you keep downloading spyware-infested crapware (peer-2-peer music sharing programs, free games, free utilities, free task bars) it is going to happen again. When it does, try Winsockfix (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257) or WinsockXPfix (http://tntmax.com/Download/Software/WinsockXPFix.exe/view) (for winXP machines) before you reinstall windows, it much less frustrating.

GaWd
05-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to chime in... Adware destroyed my internet capabilities as well. My computer geek/expert roommate spent a few days trying to fix it. We had to wipe my whole computer and then reinstall.. but since I had a crappy Compaq alot of stuff wouldn't work after the reinstall. Adware can blow me for starting a terrible chain reaction. That's right blow me Adware!

I guess you didn't read many of the replies to the OP.

Squee
05-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Winnar! Flawless Victory!: "9200 on my friend's mom's computer." (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=99609816&m=52010342)

Wasabee
05-09-2004, 10:51 PM
I guess you didn't read many of the replies to the OP.

How could I? I couldn't get on the internet remember. :rolleyes:

Oh and to the reply above this one, if it was too me:

I never download music, games, software, etc etc etc off the internet. I have dialup and a short attention-span.

Fear Itself
05-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I never download music, games, software, etc etc etc off the internet. If you say so. All I know is that I have run Adaware on hundreds of PC's, and the handful of times that it broke the internet connection, it has always been due to Newdotnet spyware (or one of a small number of other spyware programs that always come with the aforemention free downloads) that had plugged into the Winsock layer, and damaged it. Adaware is not your problem; it is the spyware that you, or someone else with access to your computer, allows on your machine.

Ellis Dee
05-10-2004, 06:17 PM
If you keep downloading spyware-infested crapware (peer-2-peer music sharing programs, free games, free utilities, free task bars) it is going to happen again. When it does, try Winsockfix (http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257) or WinsockXPfix (http://tntmax.com/Download/Software/WinsockXPFix.exe/view) (for winXP machines) before you reinstall windows, it much less frustrating.I did try the winsock fix. It was suggested on the first page. I could manage to read the replies, just not respond.

I tried everything possible. After 2 weeks I had to give up and install XP.

My machine is a 4g P2-300 with 64m. Yes, the 4g is the HD size, not the processor speed. :) XP seems to be running fine. Everything runs much faster than it did under 95.

Dewey Finn
05-10-2004, 07:39 PM
My machine is a 4g P2-300 with 64m. Yes, the 4g is the HD size, not the processor speed. :) XP seems to be running fine. Everything runs much faster than it did under 95.

When you say "64m", do you mean 64 megabytes of system memory? If so, wow.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
05-10-2004, 09:34 PM
When you say "64m", do you mean 64 megabytes of system memory? If so, wow.

It hurts just to think of memory that low, I don't think I could handle having one! I'm notoriously impatient in front of the computer, and any lag just kills me.

Dewey Finn
05-10-2004, 09:59 PM
I just checked Microsoft's website and found that the minimum memory supported for XP is 64MB, while the minimum processor speed is 300MHz. So Ellis Dee's system just barely qualifies to run XP. It would make sense to use such a system for testing purposes, but I can't imagine how painful it must be to do so as your regular system.

RandomLetters
05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
You got XP running on 64 megs of RAM?? :eek: I know a person who got an el-cheapo eMachine with a 128meg RAM and XP thrashes the harddrive something awful on it. You might wanna look into getting some more RAM - I picked up 128 megs for my Grandmother at Bestbuy for like $10.

Ellis Dee
05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
You got XP running on 64 megs of RAM?? :eek: I know a person who got an el-cheapo eMachine with a 128meg RAM and XP thrashes the harddrive something awful on it. You might wanna look into getting some more RAM - I picked up 128 megs for my Grandmother at Bestbuy for like $10.hehheh, yeah, but it runs smoothly and quickly with the 64megs, so all the better.

The hard drive (4gig SCSI 2 Cheetah) doesn't thrash at all. This was a kickass machine back in 95 when I bought it, and seems to be the ideal environment for writing programs. I can't stand writing on a powerful machine, and then running it on a client's much slower machine to see an inefficient loop take forever. With this machine, everything I write is about as tight as it's gonna get.

I also checked the XP minimum requirements, and kinda laughed. "128megs memory...64megs minimum." hehheh.

Just one data point, but anecdotally speaking, XP runs great on the minimum requirement specs.

The only lag I suffer is the 56k modem. :(

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
05-11-2004, 02:03 PM
The only lag I suffer is the 56k modem. :(

Therein lies true hell. 64 meg I could possibly handle... Stick me back on dialup and... :eek:

I feel for ya.