PDA

View Full Version : New Coke machines

Improv Geek
04-21-2004, 10:20 AM
So many of you know I am a GT student, and 100 yards off campus is the Coca-Cola capital building flying its red flag and overlooking the city which it owns. Our campus is currently the testing ground for the new coke machines.

New you ask? How are they new? Well let me tell you.

Coke has started up a music website right? Free downloads, pay downloads and all that? Yeah. Well these coke machines are about 5/3rds the width of normal machines because they have a side attachment with a lcd monitor and show music videos.

But wait there's more!

The coke machines now have a webcam wired into it so the machine can actually detect people passing by it, and if it hasn't had any business in a while it'll change to this horridly animated "person" who calls out to you and tries to entice you to come and buy soda.

It really is ingenious.

But wait, there's more!

Now, buying a soda is good for immediate prizes. They have a little printer inside and you can win anything from a free soda at the campus food court, all the way up to say... 25,000 Skymiles. (Something I won last week.)

Now the kicker here is that it seems the prizes are much more likely to be given out during the wee hours of the morning. Exactly when Computer Science students are staying up all night and in need of caffeine. So as a result there is an unusually high percentage of winners in the GT College of Computing.

Yeah, a friend just won an MP3 player and another guy got a hat. I'm going to be in the College of Computing for the next two days so we'll see if I win anything else.

But watch out for these new machines!

Philster
04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
As long as the machine doesn't look at you and force you to buy diet instead of regular coke, I think everyone will be fine, no matter what else it does!

And is that animated person on the coke machine shown in widescreen format? We don't want to piss off any followers of true art. :D

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=250113

mrklutz
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
A number of years back, Coke put a talking Coke machine into the Iowa State Memorial Union. If no one was buying any, it would periodically try to entice people into making a purchase. The bulk of students must have agreed with me that it was Pure Evil, because it didn't last long. I'm guessing the others did like I did -- got so annoyed that they stopped buying Coke from the machine.

dantheman
04-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Whew! Thought these were machines selling New Coke ...

Interesting idea. Guess it's no loopier than the DVD rental units that some McDonald's have.

SuperNova
04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Damn it. I'm at Emory, why can't Coke drop off a few of the new machines here?

Improv Geek
04-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Because you're not as cool as we are. ;)

Alan Smithee
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Well, since they own the damn school, they don't really care about whether you buy their soda. If they wanted $.85 from you, they'd add it to their next tuition hike!

Just kidding! I'm perfectly aware that it is in fact Emory which owns a sustantial share of Coke. I'm just jealous that Candler School of Theology gets all the dough, and we (Wesley Theological Seminary in DC, also United Methodist) get bupkis.