PDA

View Full Version : How would you deal with a closet-less room?

Johnny Bravo
05-03-2004, 04:20 PM
So in about a month I'm moving. My bedroom-to-be has no closet. Now, I'm cool with putting t-shirts and jeans in a drawer, but slacks, dress shirts, jackets, etc, have to be hung up somewhere.

Any of you Dopers have suggestions for dealing with this? I'm more than willing to do a little bit of work, but nothing too terribly involved as I have little experience with any kind of building-type-stuff.

Hal Briston
05-03-2004, 04:37 PM
First off, in real estate parlance, you're not getting a bedroom. By definition, a bedroom has a closet. You're getting a den.

Anyway, you can always get a wardrobe or an armoire. Something that acts as a free-standing closet. Don't know how big this room is, but if you have the space, that may be the way to go.

aruvqan
05-03-2004, 04:49 PM
First off, in real estate parlance, you're not getting a bedroom. By definition, a bedroom has a closet. You're getting a den.

Anyway, you can always get a wardrobe or an armoire. Something that acts as a free-standing closet. Don't know how big this room is, but if you have the space, that may be the way to go.
Hm, then I dont have a 2 bedroom house, i have a 2 den house...

the asshat who modified the 20x20 cement block building from a tenant farmers 1 bedroom house into a 20x40 2 den house didnt put in closets=)

Armoire is the way to go, unless like our room there is no space for one [2 10x9 bedrooms. I can put a bed into each, but the door and chimney arrangement leaves no real place to put an armoire=\ so we have put up a bar in one corner for hanging clothes, and have mostly drawer-able clothes=)

Lobelia Overhill
05-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Can't you go to a shop and buy a wardrobe, like I had to?

Johnny Bravo
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Buying a piece of furniture is certainly an option. I'm just fishing for other ideas, really.

hybrid_dogfish
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Never understood this whole American thing with having a built in wardrobe, although it seems to be spreading to the UK (you can't move the damn thing around, so you just have another door in the room), anyway, as others have said, get a wardrobe.

SSgtBaloo
05-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Buy a wardrobe. That's sort of like a free-standing closet. I understand that, due to the tax laws in certain countries, that houses are taxed (in part) by the number of rooms they possess. A Closet counts as a room. so they don't put them in. Wardrobes have been the answer there.

Now whether you can actually find a wardrobe, that's another question. What country are you moving to? If it's in Europe, I don't think you'll have a problem. If it's anywhere in the U.S., well, I dunno. Maybe you could build one?

--SSgtBaloo

VampyChick
05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
If you can't get a proper wardrobe (furniture can be pricey, after all) you can get a rack with a hanging bar (they sell these at Wal-Mart) and a screen to hide it from view. Presto, instant hanging space!

Shayna
05-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Buying a piece of furniture is certainly an option. I'm just fishing for other ideas, really.
You could build a really tall headboard, place the bed in the middle of the room, place a rod on the back of the headboard and make the area behind the bed a closet/dressing room of sorts, I guess. That actually might be kindof cool -- depending on how big the room is. It's a little hard to tell, but that's sortof what they did with this room (http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/episode/season2/interactive_02_23.html) on Trading Spaces (click where it says "switch" to see the "after" results).

Otherwise, a wardrobe really is your best option.

kniz
05-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Houses back in the 1800's did not have closets because taxes were figured by counting the rooms and closets were counted as rooms. That tax system probably came from Europe, which has an abundance of older residences. Today, there are plenty of homes being built with closets that are like small rooms. ;)

tremorviolet
05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
If you can't get a proper wardrobe (furniture can be pricey, after all) you can get a rack with a hanging bar (they sell these at Wal-Mart) and a screen to hide it from view. Presto, instant hanging space!

When I lived in a closetless apt (very old converted house), I was a broke student. I just bought a garmet rack (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/601-2466104-9220930?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00006GNPG) and put it in a corner. I don't think it looked too bad, just kinda minimalist.

MikeG
05-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Is it possible to build a closet? some 2x4's, drywall,baseboard, and some conduit and you're set. All the way to the ceiling or if you have really tall ceilings, make the closet a little shorter, finish the top and use that for display space.

You dont even really need a door, but its really really easy to install a prehung, the lumber yard can tell you how large to make the openning and then you just slide it in

Kakofonous
05-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I've used cement blocks, squares of plywood and a chopped off piece of pipe as a closet. I stacked the cement blocks the 'wrong' way with the pieces of plywood between them to make it more stable. Put the pipe through the top hole. A bit of paint / fabric and it doesn't look too bad ... plus is MUCH easier to move than a big wardrobe. As someone that's stuck in the 'moving every f*#$@ year' trend, 'modular' / easy to move furniture counts for something. Plus it's easily convertible to bookshelves / raise bed for more storage / tie to ankles to sink the body / etc.

Nightwatch Trailer
05-03-2004, 06:34 PM
So in about a month I'm moving. My bedroom-to-be has no closet. Now, I'm cool with putting t-shirts and jeans in a drawer, but slacks, dress shirts, jackets, etc, have to be hung up somewhere.
I don't see what the problem is. Sure, you lose some clothes space, but hey - less room for monsters. Now if you could do without a bed, you'd be completely secure.

There's only one good kind of monster, and that's of the Cookie persuasion.

:rolleyes:

rocking chair
05-03-2004, 08:18 PM
if you don't want to go for the wardrobe or diy, is there another closet you can use in the house?

my house is over 100 years old, so there is only one closet in the hall. yep, the only closet original to the house. barely wide enough for a hanger, that is what i use. and yes, it is down the hall from the bathroom and bedroom.

Alice The Goon
05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
How about a chifferobe? There, ya gotcher dresser, some shelves, AND a hanging rod behind a door, ALL IN ONE. Who could ask for anything more?

Peter Morris
05-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Don't they have anything like this (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=85604&Trail=C$cip=12217%3EC$cip=12218%3EC$cip=12224&categoryId=12224) wherre you come from?

buttonjockey308
05-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Personally, I would just put a closet shelf free mounted on the wall, and either milk crates or cubes on the wall on either side to store things in. The armoire/wardrobe thing has been done to death.

hazel-rah
05-04-2004, 01:29 AM
Pretend you live in the closet and have no bedroom. Where in your closet to put the bed is much easier design problem.

phall0106
05-04-2004, 07:29 AM
I live in a house built about 1920's, with large rooms, tall ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. On the back of the house is a room which has a door to a back balcony--but no closet. This is the room I use for my bedroom. There is, however, a smaller room next door (maybe an oversized linen closet?) which I've moved my dresser into and it now holds all my hanging clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. as well. I use that as a "dressing closet" since it's of larger size. Even with this room, I still cart my clothes to the bathroom to get dressed in the morning (after a shower). I actually dislike having a dresser in my bedroom.

Kalhoun
05-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Hm, then I dont have a 2 bedroom house, i have a 2 den house...

the asshat who modified the 20x20 cement block building from a tenant farmers 1 bedroom house into a 20x40 2 den house didnt put in closets=)

Armoire is the way to go, unless like our room there is no space for one [2 10x9 bedrooms. I can put a bed into each, but the door and chimney arrangement leaves no real place to put an armoire=\ so we have put up a bar in one corner for hanging clothes, and have mostly drawer-able clothes=)
I think our bedroom may have beenthe closet at one time. Very small. No room for an armoire. The previous owner built a small closet (which now has a window in it, fercrissakes!). You could do that fairly easily, or you could get one of those metal rack thingies that you could hang stuff up on.

I'd like to have the closet space back and buy an armoire, but my closet is actually two closets, back-to-back. One is my hall closet and one is my bedroom closet.

alphaFemale
05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Never understood this whole American thing with having a built in wardrobe

i was just going to say that. according to Hal Briston, americans are the only ones who technically have bedrooms!

personally, i prefer armoires.

another option: i have a storeroom adjacent to my apartment full of clothes. it also serves as an add-onn room, as it has a connecting door to my apartment. i have an extended curtain rod of sorts (maybe 2 feet from the wall) and a clothes rack hidden behind the curtains. it takes up one whole wall, and i always get compliments on it.

flodnak
05-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Well - I've seen Yurrupean houses with built-in closets. But only in newer houses (post-1960, at a guess), and not necessarily in every bedroom even then. Our house, built in 1970, has a substantial wall of built-in closets in the master bedroom, decent-sized built-ins in two others, and a dinky little excuse for a closet in the fourth, plus a closet in the entry. The house we lived in before this had semi-built-in wardrobes in the bedrooms and hall.

What would I do in a house with no built-in closets? Three words. I. Ke. A.

Suburban Plankton
05-05-2004, 01:48 AM
What would I do in a house with no built-in closets? Three words. I. Ke. A.

I always thought that Flodnak sounded like something (a wardrobe perhaps?) that you would find at Ikea.

SkeptiJess
05-05-2004, 07:39 AM
A really nice wardrobe would be kind of pricey -- one made of good wood and tall enough to hang a long coat or dress in, I mean. A cheaper alternative that would still look nice is to go to a home improvement store or discount store and buy a partical board wardrobe. These are quite cheap and easy to assemble. They come in various sizes and complexities -- some are just a basic closet and some are quite large with both closet space and extra shelves or even drawers as well. Usually they are finished in that laminate stuff and are available in white or some kind of faux-wood finish. Buy it in white and it will just blend into the wall (if your walls are white). If your walls are colored, then you can rough the laminate finish up a bit with a fine grit sandpaper, give it a coat of primer, and paint it the same color as your walls.

Sue Duhnym
05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Under $100 (http://www.thecompanystore.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=164&page=2)

More Expensive (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/IkeamsSearch?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&searchType=product&pageNumber=-1&orderBy=score&category=%23%7EProducts&query=wardrobe)

EvilGhandi
05-06-2004, 02:49 AM
I have had to "room" temporarily a few times, sometimes in places I swore were closets. My down and dirty solution was to get one of those springy shower curtain rods. You know, the short ones for shower stalls? and install it a corner.

Not pretty but a good temp fix untill you find something nice. Or a better place.

Medea's Child
05-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I live without closets anyway. I have had a series of renting rooms where the room I want doesn't have a closet. I have given up on drawers as well, I use bookshelves for my large foldable stuff and baskets in shelves for socks and underwear. (I'm horribly messy, if its not public I don't care. If I have drawers I will jam them full of crap. At least on shelves everything has to be folded, with the bonus of ditching clothes that get too ratty. If I don't want to look at it folded on the shelf, I'm *never* wearing it again. The baskets still get filled with crap. We don't discuss what's under my bed.)

That said, I saw one of these (http://www.searshomecenter.com/homecenter/prod_display1.asp?Product=31165&partner=6922&CP=00) the other day and drooled. Mmm...space efficient.

Green Bean
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Another cheap and easy option is to put a couple of hooks in the ceiling--into the beams. Then attach some rope or chain to the hooks, and hang a closet bar or some sort on the chain. (A broomstick works in a pinch.) You can hang it up high if you're tall. You can also make two tiers and hang more stuff.

Then, when you move, you don't have to move an armoire. And you can probably just leave the hooks in the ceiling.