PDA

View Full Version : Reagan on the $10?

Jophiel
06-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Effort to put Reagan on the $10 bill (http://www.cnn.com/money/2004/06/08/news/economy/reagan_hamilton/index.htm?cnn=yes)

I'm not going to debate if the Gipper should be on a bill or coin so let's just pretend he's going to be. Which bill or coin do you think would be best to change? Keep in mind that we're not making any new denominations, so he can't go on the $30.

Who We Currently Have
$1 - George Washington
$2 - Thomas Jefferson (yes, these still circulate)
$5 - Abraham Lincoln
$10 - Alexander Hamilton
$20 - Andrew Jackson
$50 - Ulysses S. Grant
$100 - Benjamin Franklin

1¢ - Abraham Lincoln
5¢ - Thomas Jefferson
10¢ - Franklin D. Roosevelt
25¢ - George Washington
50¢ - John F. Kennedy
100¢ - Sacajawea

Retired Denominations
$500 - William McKinley
$1,000 - Grover Cleveland
$5,000 - James Madison
$10,000 - Salmon P. Chase
$100,000 - Woodrow Wilson.

There's tons of retired coins, two of the most recent are the Eisenhower dollar and Susan B. Anthony dollar.

Any other Presidents or major Americans you think should get shuffled around?

World Eater
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Put him on the $500 and be done with this stupidity.

World Eater
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Put him on the $500 and be done with this stupidity.

*The Reagan on the $10 stupidity, not your thread.

Jophiel
06-08-2004, 12:36 PM
I figured, but thanks ;)

Maus Magill
06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Reagan in the dime?
No. He had too much respect and graditude to FDR to replace him. Also, the man's widow doesn't even support the idea.

Reagan on the $10?
No. If it weren't for Hamilton, there wouldn't even be a $10 bill.

If we were to put Reagan on a bill, I would support replacing Grant on the $50. Why not replace the head of a corrupt administration with the head of a slightly ledd corrupt administration?

The Great Sun Jester
06-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Bury the man. Put is face in some history books. Let the Reagans get on with their lives. If you want a new face on some money, look to someone who was responsible for orchestrating positive US history. Not someone who escalated one of the most ridiculous non-wars in history. Not someone who just simply refused to speak to his chief adversary for...what...his entire first term?

Put a statesman on the money. Doesn't have to be a president (Franklin, Anthony, Sacajawea). Just someone who's done something really REALLY good. Like Bill Gates.

World Eater
06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Just someone who's done something really REALLY good. Like Bill Gates.

Man run, run for the hills, now!

cmason32
06-08-2004, 12:59 PM
When conservatives tried to put him on the dime last year, Nancy spoke out against it. I wonder whether she still opposes it, and whether conservatives will proceed if it remains against her wishes.

SmackFu
06-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Why is Andrew Jackson on the $20 anyways? I think Hamilton deserves a bill more than he does.

BobLibDem
06-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Reagan on the $10. Absolutely unbelievable the depths to which the Reagan apologists will descend.

But I think some updating is in order.

$20: What on earth did Andy Jackson do to warrant being on currency? My nominee: Martin Luther King

$50: US Grant: Good soldier, lousy president. Off with him. Replace him with a truly underrated patriot: John Adams.

$100: Really, what did Ben Franklin actually do? He wasn't terribly active or effective at the Continental Congress. If you read McCullough's bio of John Adams, you really see he was a lazy and devious little snot while serving as ambassador to France. Give this one to Jefferson and scrap the $2 bill.

RandomLetters
06-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Put Reagan on the $20. Get rid of that scum-bag, good for nothing, Jackson.

(And yes, I do have Cherokee ancestors.)

Evil One
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't know the history, but my guess is that Jackson was still prominent in memory when the 20 was created for general circulation. I wouldn't have a problem with replacing Jackson with Reagan. I think Hamilton was much more of a "founding father" and deserves to stay where he is.

Tigers2B1
06-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Lincoln and Washington both already have their mugs on coins and paper. So, Reagan's handsome, square jawed bust can be placed on either the cent or the quarter - or the dollar or five dollar bill. Hamilton stays on the 10. Jackson, with his powerful mane, stays on the 20. Everybody wins!!

kunilou
06-08-2004, 04:48 PM
There is only one solution. Reagan goes on the $1 coin.

Think of it. The dollar coin has never been popular since it was brought back in the 1960s. The Mint has tried different sizes, different faces and finally different colors. Nothing has worked.

So put Reagan on there. Conservatives will love it and consider it their patriotic job to put as many in circulation as possible. Liberals will hate it, and spend them to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Meantime, the government will quit having to produce so many dollar bills (thus fulfilling a Reagan wish to reduce the government's size), and since George Washington is already on the quarter, it's not like he's getting the short end of anything.

As for Sacajewea, let's put her on the main design for the first class stamp.

The Great Sun Jester
06-08-2004, 04:52 PM
As for Sacajewea, let's put her on the main design for the first class stamp.
This is probably another thread, but how does she rate getting her mug on currency anyway? Since when do we honor Native Americans?

Tigers2B1
06-08-2004, 04:56 PM
This is probably another thread, but how does she rate getting her mug on currency anyway? Since when do we honor Native Americans?

Since at least from the Buffalo nickel and Indian Head penny days. But you’re right – that’s for another thread.

Crafter_Man
06-08-2004, 04:57 PM
think Hamilton was much more of a "founding father" and deserves to stay where he is.IMO Hamilton was a scoundrel. I'd rather have Porky the Pig on the $10 than Hamilton...

The Great Sun Jester
06-08-2004, 05:00 PM
:smack: Since at least from the Buffalo nickel and Indian Head penny days. But you’re right – that’s for another thread.

Crafter_Man
06-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Really, what did Ben Franklin actually do?Well, he impregnated a lot of women. So surely he deserves some kind of "notable achievement" award... :D

stuyguy
06-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Well, there is an intriguing convergence of events a-brewing here!

Let me explain. The Republicans, who are behind the pro-Reagan measure, are having their convention here in NYC. Well, this just so happens to be the bicentennial of the famous Hamilton-Burr duel, and Alexander Hamilton is regarded by NYers as the city's greatest colonial-era champion. (As a staunch Federalist he is also considered the founding spirit of the Republican Party, which makes the replacement proposal all the more bizarre.) To mark the milestone -- and capture some of the convention traffic -- the New-York Historical Society is planning a unprecedented mega-exhibit around Hamilton's considerable contributions to our city and nation! I wonder if the Reaganites will be swayed by the exhibit. Or maybe they'll snub it altogether.

In any case, much as I like RR, he does not deserve to be on our currency, especially if it means giving Hamilton the boot.

BTW, I'm so delighted to see all the anti-Jacksonians! I always thought AJ was a brutish pig, unworthy of all the hero-worship he seemed to attract in the middle of the 20th century. Thank goodness it seems to be fading. If anyone's got to go, it's him. (Though it kills me to admit, he is a dashing devil on the twenty!)

stuyguy
06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
IMO Hamilton was a scoundrel. I'd rather have Porky the Pig on the $10 than Hamilton...
Crafter, could you explain your disdain for AH more fully?

Tuckerfan
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
How about we stick Ronnie on the $2, dump Andy off the $20 and replace him with Walt Whitman?

Bippy the Beardless
06-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Can we put Bush on $0 bill, that would sum him up nicely?

Chefguy
06-08-2004, 06:26 PM
The only problem with putting Reagan on a $10 bill is that soon afterward it will only be worth a fraction of its former value, and will eventually need to be accompanied by a $20 bill in order to be worth the original $10.

Master Wang-Ka
06-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Mm-hm. They also introduced a notion in Congress to have Ronnie added to Mount Rushmore.

Precisely WHAT did the man do that allovasudden has the Neocons wanting his mug all over the place? Besides die, that is.

Tuckerfan
06-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Mm-hm. They also introduced a notion in Congress to have Ronnie added to Mount Rushmore.

Precisely WHAT did the man do that allovasudden has the Neocons wanting his mug all over the place? Besides die, that is.
Actually, I remember hearing them wanting to place Ronnie on Rushmore back in the 80s, a noted geologist pointed out that the rockface wouldn't be able to withstand the necessary work to add any face to the mountain, and it would bring the whole side of the mountain down, thus ruining the existing artwork.

Giraffe
06-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Crafter, could you explain your disdain for AH more fully?Or, barring that, your reverance for Porky Pig?

LouisB
06-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Create a $3.00 bill.

Make sure everyone knows it is really worth only $0.35.

Put the worthless POS's picture on that.

Put a picture of Mickey Damn Mouse on the other side.

USCDiver
06-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Put his face on the $100,000 bill and watch as it eventually trickles down to the $1 bill.

ftg
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
It is absolutely inconceivable that any of the current honorees would be for a second considered so low as to be replaced by an actor on a coin/bill. That would be just too darn insulting. All of the current honorees (of coins/bills still being made) have legions of fans. They would be POed big time.

So, go with a new denomination. That should stall things until Rational Thought comes back into vogue. (So I'm an optimist.)

mhendo
06-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I think we should put Reagan on the penny, and then follow William Safire's advice (http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/opinion/24632.php).

Personally, i'd like to see Madison and/or Jefferson on a commonly-circulating piece of paper currency. In fact, i'd be quite happy for the Jefferson $2 bill to come into regualr circulation.

I completely agree with those who want to get rid of Grant. I can never look at a $50 bill without thinking of Henry Adams's opinion that Grant was a challenge to those who believed in evolution. From The Education of Henry Adams:That, two thousand years after Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar, a man like Grant should be called--and should actually and truly be--the highest product of the most advanced evolution, made evolution ludicrous. One must be as commonplace as Grant's own commonplaces to maintain such an absurdity. The progress of evolution from President Washington to President Grant, was alone evidence enough to upset Darwin.

mhendo
06-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Create a $3.00 bill.

Make sure everyone knows it is really worth only $0.35.

Put the worthless POS's picture on that.

Put a picture of Mickey Damn Mouse on the other side.Tell us how you really feel!

:D

SmackFu
06-08-2004, 10:04 PM
To mark the milestone -- and capture some of the convention traffic -- the New-York Historical Society is planning a unprecedented mega-exhibit around Hamilton's considerable contributions to our city and nation!I bet they're ticked that the actual duel was in Weehawken... NJ!

Jonathan Chance
06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Put me in the 'replace Jackson' camp.

Why the hell we keep a homicidal psychopath on a piece of currency is beyond me. If it takes Reagan to move him then so be it.

And the Rushmore thing is really just Grover Norquist being a freak again (something he excels at). I caught an interview with him earlier where he (sorta tongue in cheek) claimed that Hamilton should be replaced because Hamilton was a 'bad shot'. Evidently Norquist digs the guns and thinks Hamilton should have been able to kill Burr.

Freak, I tell you. He's a freak!

carnivorousplant
06-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Get rid of that scum-bag, good for nothing, Jackson.

I agree with the last part. :)

kanicbird
06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
$1 - George Washington
$2 - Thomas Jefferson (yes, these still circulate)
$5 - Abraham Lincoln
$10 - Alexander Hamilton
$20 - Andrew Jackson
$50 - Ulysses S. Grant
$100 - Benjamin Franklin

1¢ - Abraham Lincoln
5¢ - Thomas Jefferson
10¢ - Franklin D. Roosevelt
25¢ - George Washington
50¢ - John F. Kennedy
100¢ - Sacajawea

The song "one of these things are not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong" run through my head, and make a perfect opening for R. Reagan.

stuyguy
06-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I bet they're ticked that the actual duel was in Weehawken... NJ!
Funny. The highlight of the exhibit will probably be the actual dueling pistols which have been locked away in the vaults of Chase Manhattan Bank for decades. (You will recall that both Hamilton & Burr founded banks, the Bank of NY and today's Chase Manhattan respectively. Both still exist. Burr founded Chase under the guise of starting a water-supply company for thirsty Manhattan. The charter allowed the company to, in essence, operate as a bank -- Burr's real objective. They did actually lay some water pipes, it should be said.) Why does Chase have both guns you may wonder. Well, they both belonged to Burr. It was customary for the challenger to supply the weapons for a duel.

The city of Weehawken, I am told, is planning to re-enact the duel (perhaps with the aid of the N-YHS). That should be fun.

carnivorousplant
06-08-2004, 11:01 PM
it would bring the whole side of the mountain down

It would trickle down?
:)

carnivorousplant
06-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Chase Manhattan respectively.

I owe credit card debt to Aaron Burr?
Man, that sucks.

Tigers2B1
06-08-2004, 11:04 PM
It would trickle down?

OK than- they don’t have to add a face ---- all they have to do is chisel off Teddy’s glasses and moustache --- the result should look like Reagan. Put Teddy on the 10 dollar bill.

Captain Amazing
06-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Why the hell we keep a homicidal psychopath on a piece of currency is beyond me. If it takes Reagan to move him then so be it.

Because he vetoed the Bank of the United States, thereby decentralizing monetary control in this country and leading to the creation of state and private banks.

Marley23
06-08-2004, 11:10 PM
100¢ - Sacajawea

The song "one of these things are not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong" run through my head, and make a perfect opening for R. Reagan.
It'd be dubious praise at best to put the man on a coin nobody uses, so I don't think that'll happen. (Just like it'd be strange to name an airport after him... oh wait.)

I think the proposition mentioned at the end of the CNN piece - put him on half the dimes - is probably the most likely for reasons they explain. I think it's way over the top, but then again I'm not shamelessly kissing up to a constituency. ;)

Tuckerfan
06-08-2004, 11:15 PM
It would trickle down?
I don't know, but I guess I whooshed everybody with why I suggested putting Reagan on the $2 bill. It is, after all, the bill everyone forgets is in circulation, so who better than to put on it, but a man who forgot everyone? ;) (It gets really ugly if you think about it.)

RickJay
06-08-2004, 11:19 PM
If I may speak as an outsider,

1. Logically the first people you should remove from currency are the ones who are currently on TWO items of currency, and

2. Reagan shouldn't go on until more deserving people do.

It makes no sense to me for Washington to get the $1 and the quarter. There's a certain obvious logic to having him on the $1, so take the quarter from him and give it to King.

However, the U.S. really needs to dump the $1 bill and go with $1 coins. So in the ideal world, you'd dump Sacagawea - come on, what a silly choice that was - and move Washington to the $1 COIN, freeing up the $0.25 for the Reverend Doc.

If you then must put Reagan on something, drop Jackson from the $20 - he looks crazy, anyway - and give Reagan the $20.

cookeze
06-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Reagan liked to tell this story:

"You know, a young man went into a grocery store and he had an orange in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other, and he paid for the orange with food stamps and he took the change and paid for the vodka. That's what's wrong."

So I say we put his picture on the front of a $10 food stamp.

Tuckerfan
06-08-2004, 11:23 PM

"You know, a young man went into a grocery store and he had an orange in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other, and he paid for the orange with food stamps and he took the change and paid for the vodka. That's what's wrong."

Except, of course, most states have gone with a debit card system for food stamps now, so you'd have to put him on the card, and at least the ones around here have the Statue of Liberty and the American flag on them, and really, I think even Ronnie would be more than happy to give up his place for Lady Liberty.

carnivorousplant
06-08-2004, 11:27 PM
take the quarter from him and give it to King.
Absolutely.

However, the U.S. really needs to dump the $1 bill and go with $1 coins.

No way. Too much big change I get during the day to carry in my pocket. Being male I use the automated checkout at Kroger. Buy a coke with a twenty and I have a pound of nineteen dollar coins to put in my pocket. My pants would fall down and all the women in the store would laugh themselves to death.
Not a good idea.

pyrrthon1
06-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Put Reagan on the heads side of the penny and Bonzo on the tails.

Marley23
06-08-2004, 11:33 PM
It makes no sense to me for Washington to get the $1 and the quarter. There's a certain obvious logic to having him on the $1, so take the quarter from him and give it to King.
Nice as it sounds, this would be tremendously controversial. I can't see it happening- who in Congress wants to be the guy who starts a fight over this?

citrus x paradisi
06-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Few presidents deserve to be on the most-counterfeited bill more than Jackson. The past fifty years have had quite a bumper crop, but I think we ought to have a longer grace period before the deceased can haunt us through our wallets.

Evil Captor
06-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't suppose there's an official U.S. toilet paper ...

Tigers2B1
06-08-2004, 11:40 PM
...who in Congress wants to be the guy who starts a fight over this?

Barney Frank.

Oh, wait, was that rhetorical?

samclem
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM

You know, I would have said you were blowing smoke, but I found that story repeated in a 1983 newspaper. Doesn't mean he actually said it, but damn!.

The quote was made in 1982 by Bob Packwood(yes, I know :rolleyes: ) about how the great communicator responded to Republican concerns in private meeting with GOP leaders. He would change the subject, and come up with homilies, etc. which had little to do with solving the actual problem. Like a massive spending deficit.

So, I doubt that Reagan actally said that, but it would be in character for him to have.

Tigers2B1
06-09-2004, 01:11 AM
You know, I would have said you were blowing smoke, but I found that story repeated in a 1983 newspaper. Doesn't mean he actually said it, but damn!.

The quote was made in 1982 by Bob Packwood(yes, I know :rolleyes: ) about how the great communicator responded to Republican concerns in private meeting with GOP leaders. He would change the subject, and come up with homilies, etc. which had little to do with solving the actual problem. Like a massive spending deficit.

So, I doubt that Reagan actally said that, but it would be in character for him to have.

I suppose this is more Great Debates and I know it’s way off the OP –------ but if Reagan did say what he is alleged to have said – and if the behavior described was symptomatic – then why not describe the problem anecdotally. That’s what sends the message. It seems, at least to me, to be consistent with good communication.

Carnac the Magnificent!
06-09-2004, 01:50 AM
$1 - Jerry Springer
$2 - Rev. Al Sharpton
$5 - Martha Stewart
$10 - Arnold Schwarzeneggar (From Terminator 3)
$20 - Carrot Top
$50 - Janet Jackson (w/ nipple ring)
$100 - Howard Stern

Already in Use
06-09-2004, 03:22 AM
I think Carnac just hit the nail on the head. We should make like pre-Euro France and put naked tits and great cultural icons on our money.

rjung
06-09-2004, 03:32 AM
I refuse to endorse sticking Reagan anywhere until we get his Presidential papers (http://www.rcfp.org/news/mag/25-4/foi-reaganp.html) (the ones George W. Bush have tucked away for another 20+ years) unsealed and into the public eye.

Let's see if St. Ron really deserves all the praise the Pubbies keep heaping on him, I say.

ccwaterback
06-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Is someone trying to imply Reagan did more for this country than Hamilton?

Please. :rolleyes:

ccwaterback
06-09-2004, 03:39 AM
$1 - Bill Gates
$3 - GW Bush
$5 - Larry Flynt
$10 - Bozo the Clown
$20 - Ms Piggy
$50 - Mayor McCheese
$100 - Charley Manson

Beauty Personified
06-09-2004, 03:57 AM
I refuse to endorse sticking Reagan anywhere ...
:eek: Me neither! What the heck happened to this thread?! :D

I'm Canadian, so I really don't have a say in whose face should or shouldn't appear on U.S. currency. (Heck, I don't even know who most of the guys on our bills are. :rolleyes: ) Of course, will Americans themselves actually have any say in this?

Anyhoo, I'd like to see Mr. T on an American bill.

(Though I don't think they should have updated her portrait, I'm glad Queen Elizabeth II - aka "L2" - appears on all our Canadian coins. I just wish we'd get back to having animals on both sides of the coin. ;) )

Anyhoo...

Liberal
06-09-2004, 06:49 AM
I'd like to see President Reagan replace Indian Hater Jackson on the 20.

asterion
06-09-2004, 07:46 AM
How about the half-dollar? I still don't understand what made JFK so great that he was worth putting on money, so we can replace one baby-boomer-favorite president with another.

Crafter_Man
06-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Crafter, could you explain your disdain for AH more fully?I don’t want to get into a debate here, but from what I’ve read, Alexander Hamilton was a bit of a scoundrel. During the Constitutional Convention (CC), he traveled back and forth between the State House (in Philadelphia) and NYC about a half-a-dozen times. At least one historian has theorized that the only reason he attended the CC was to take notes and share them with his banking buddies in NYC. The bankers, in turn, would give him instructions on what to include in the constitution. AH would then go back to the CC and spout off for a couple days, while everyone else in attendance more-or-less ignored him. He would then travel back to NYC to update the bankers, and the cycle would continue.

Being the pompous aristocrat he was, AH’s writings would seem to indicate he despised the idea of democracy, favoring a plutocracy or “judocracy” instead. He was the ultimate Federalists, and a proponent an all-powerful, energetic government. He was a staunch defender of the Sedition Act. Thomas Jefferson hated him, Abigail Adams called him "another Bonaparte", and Noah Webster called him "the Evil Genius.” I’m certainly not a fan of Aaron Burr, but I do have to give him credit for shooting the bastard.

Zebra
06-09-2004, 09:40 AM
And that's the reason for the push to get RWR on money, because JFK is on it.

One our guys almost got impeached so let's impeach one of theirs.

One of their guys recently got on money so one of ours should be too.

Isn't IKE on some money somewhere? Replace IKE with Raygun.

Paul in Qatar
06-09-2004, 09:48 AM
All in all, I am for any excuse for a radical redesign of American bank notes and (even more) coins.

They are really bad.

(OTOH Euros are much worse.)

stuyguy
06-09-2004, 10:17 AM
...shooting the bastard.
Literally. [Grinny here.]

kunilou
06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
We should make like pre-Euro France and put naked tits and great cultural icons on our money.

Naked tits are our great cultural icon!

ftg
06-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Isn't IKE on some money somewhere?

DDE was on a non-silver dollar. More or less looked the same as a silver dollar but alloy like quarters. Went the way of all dollar coins.

While DDE was a mediocre president at best, giving RWR a leg up over someone who was still a much better, and far better liked, president is yet another insult.

Lord Ashtar
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
We should make like pre-Euro France and put naked tits and great cultural icons on our money.

Oh, good Lord no! How would we ever prevent our children from seeing naked breasts then? We'd have to give them all credit cards, which would put them all in debt before they're old enough to have jobs! This will increase the debt problem in our country 20 fold! :rolleyes:

carnivorousplant
06-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Dollar coin, Ashcroft on heads and Justice with her breasts for tails.

NYR407
06-09-2004, 02:52 PM
My vote is no coin or dollar at all.

FYI,

There is a poll on MSN.com asking if he should be on the $10. Last I checked more than 51K had voted and it was a virtual dead heat at 51% no and 49% Yes. Of couse it is only an internet poll but I bet the an actual "non partisan" polling comp would come to the similar reults.

If it was the case there is hardly enough public support to substantiate the change. Then again it is the US Govt.

BTW, if this continues to be an issue, I wouldn't be surprised is a Commemerative Regan coin is minted for a limited time. I bet the Franklin Mint is already sending out mailings as we speak. Why not steal their thunder.

Perhaps it could be on the 25th aniversary of the Arms to Iran scam.

kelly5078
06-09-2004, 03:05 PM
I'd be happy to see Jackson ditched if someone worthwhile, like MLK or John Adams, replaced him.

Hamilton had his shortcomings, but it seems fitting that the architect of our monetary system should be recognized.

Revisionist badmouthing of Franklin is asinine. Without him, this country wouldn't exist.

As for Reagan, stick the SOB in the ground and forget about him.

Largo62
06-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Please, no Reagan face on currency. I'm still cheesed enough about "In God We Trust."

carnivorousplant
06-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Revisionist badmouthing of Franklin is asinine. Without him, this country wouldn't exist.

He was pretty cool.
http://personal.pitnet.net/primarysources/mistress.html

Ponder Stibbons
06-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I say we do away with using politicians altogether. Let's put our most beloved comedians on our currency. Put Jerry Seinfeld on the $10 -- that just screams quality! And Bill Murray is an obvious one for the $50; he seems kind of "Grantish" to me. Steven Wright seems $100 billish. Whoopie Goldberg on the $5. And the founder of modern comedy, George Burns on the $1. Who would be right for the $20, though? Hmmm. Let's go with Bob Hope. And finally, of course, Ellen Degeneres on the $3.

rjung
06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Stick Robin Williams on the $100 and you've got my vote.

Largo62
06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
And finally, of course, Ellen Degeneres on the $3.
:D

carnivorousplant
06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
$5.00 Chico
$10.00 Harpo
$20.00 Zeppo
$50.00 Groucho
$1.00 Margaret Dumond...Hmm, I'm not sure that's George...

kelly5078
06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Groucho would be pretty pissed to be seen so rarely.

HPL
06-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Groucho would be pretty pissed to be seen so rarely.

In that case, how about:

Groucho $1
Chico $5
Harpo $10
Zeppo $20
Dumont $50

Feel freet to switch the $20 and $50 if you want.

Or just stick them all in a group potrait on the $5.

In that case we can go:

Chaplin $1
Marx Bros $5
Three Stooges $10
Laurel and Hardy $20
Abbot and Costello $50

Then you could say "That'll cost ya a marx".

kelly5078
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm having a real hard time with W.C. Fields being left out. And Burns & Allen, particularly as Burns was one of the founding fathers.

And you're gonna get a lot of heat if there's nothing for Bob Hope. You could try to wiggle out by saying he was born in England, but then someone would come back with something about Hamilton being born in the West Indies.

I'm getting a headache. Best to stick with the Marx Bros.

jsc1953
06-09-2004, 05:28 PM
How about the half-dollar? I still don't understand what made JFK so great that he was worth putting on money, so we can replace one baby-boomer-favorite president with another.

Agreed that JFK did not accomplish much of note during his brief term. But at least we can chalk up putting him on the half to shock & horror at his death, and searching for a fitting memorial. I don't think anyone was shocked & horrified when Ronnie died.

And no baby-boomer was old enough to vote when JFK died. You've got your generations confused.

Shoot, why not put LBJ on a bill? It makes as much sense as Reagan. Where's the love for Lyndon?

Chefguy
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
I don't suppose there's an official U.S. toilet paper ...

Yes: Republicans call it "The Constitution"

::ducks and runs::

zamboniracer
06-10-2004, 11:48 AM
The penny and the dollar bill should be eliminated. I'm all right with honoring MLK by putting him on the nickel, but if I had my druthers I'd put Jackie Robinson on it. Put Truman on the dime and move FDR up to the quarter. Eliminate the 50 cent piece. Put George Washington on a new dollar coin, eliminate the $2 bill and put Jefferson on a new $2 coin. Leave Hamilton on the $10, put Eisenhower on the $20 and leave the $50 and $100 as is.

Ponder Stibbons
06-10-2004, 11:52 AM
How about America's worst presidents as a theme? As the $20 is the most popular bill, the worst president of all time would go there; that's convenient because that means we don't have to change it one bit. And U.S. Grant wasn't all that hot of a president, so let's leave him on the $50.

Now then, on to the changes. Tricky Dick deserves a spot, so let's put him on the $10. Tricky Dick pairs well with Slick Willy, so Clinton gets the $5. I'm not too fond of LBJ, either, so put him on the $2 and then Reagan on the $1. That just leaves the $100, so let's put that know-nothing moron Millard Fillmore on it.

Easy! How about America's most embarassing non-presidents on the coinage? I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Evil Captor
06-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Put George Washington on a new dollar coin

and make it the same size, weight and color as the current quarter. Then sit back and watch the fun.

rjung
06-10-2004, 05:26 PM
How about America's worst presidents as a theme?
I think the ensuing cost of replacing all the destroyed bills would bankrupt the country. :D

SCSimmons
06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
100¢ - Sacajawea

I think there's a strong push from the feminist lobby to keep a woman on the $1 coin. Maybe put Nancy on there? Or how about Ron in drag? :)

Good thought on the Washington and Lincoln with two pieces of currency each-let's push that one. And just in case GW keeps the quarter, I'm going to register www.wheresronnie.com before the guys at www.wheresgeorge.com get wind of this ...

Guinastasia
06-11-2004, 12:35 AM
I think Carnac just hit the nail on the head. We should make like pre-Euro France and put naked tits and great cultural icons on our money.

Are you kidding? Ashcroft would confiscate all of them before they came into circulation and have his staff color out the boobies with black magic marker.

Why not put Elvis on the 20 dollar bill?

amarinth
06-11-2004, 01:11 AM
There is only one solution. Reagan goes on the $1 coin.This is it - they get him on a coin, and no one uses it.

Perfect.

tygerbryght
06-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Put Reagan on the $20. Get rid of that scum-bag, good for nothing, Jackson.

(And yes, I do have Cherokee ancestors.)
I agree. Reagan on the $20.

And my mother was (nearly) full blood Cherokee. Jackson owed his life to a Cherokee who saved him during a battle. He repaid it well, don't you think? :rolleyes:

cornflakes
06-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Considering what happened to the national debt on Reagan's watch, why don't we get Discover, Visa and Mastercard to put his face on their cards?

lurkernomore
06-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Funny. The highlight of the exhibit will probably be the actual dueling pistols which have been locked away in the vaults of Chase Manhattan Bank for decades. (You will recall that both Hamilton & Burr founded banks, the Bank of NY and today's Chase Manhattan respectively. Both still exist. Burr founded Chase under the guise of starting a water-supply company for thirsty Manhattan. The charter allowed the company to, in essence, operate as a bank -- Burr's real objective. They did actually lay some water pipes, it should be said.) Why does Chase have both guns you may wonder. Well, they both belonged to Burr. It was customary for the challenger to supply the weapons for a duel.

The city of Weehawken, I am told, is planning to re-enact the duel (perhaps with the aid of the N-YHS). That should be fun.

You know, for those of you into it, you can see his grave from the street at Trinity Church? Also Robert Fulton, IIRC. Those with better eyes than mine may discern more.