PDA

View Full Version : Help with leaky car

Gfactor
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Ugh!!! My car has sprung a leak. A weird one. Suddenly, when it rains the interior of the car stays dry. But apparently the water pools somewhere where it should not, because whenever I make a sharp turn, water drips from the black thing under the glove comparment and saturates my passenger-side floor.

What could cause this phenomenon? Is there a cheap fix for it?

pipper
06-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Pop the hood and check the area just below the windshield and just in front of the engine firewall. In a lot of cars there is a sort of 'shelf' there that will have have drain holes (usually near the outside edge of the car). Sometime the drainholes get clogged and the water rises to a level where it can infiltrate throught the holes that allow wires to pass into the passanger compartment.

This used to happen to my old VW, especially after parking under trees that spwaned the little 'helicopter' things....

Myglaren
06-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Sounds as though the drain channel for the heater/ventilator is clogged. There should be a rubber hose descending from the scuttle at the base of the windscreen, sometimes in the engine bay, sometimes into one or both of the wheel arches.

Usually it is enough to palpate this hose but if it is relly badly clogged, you may need the assistance of a wire coat hanger, or even to remove the grill at the top and clear it from above. I park under some trees and had to drag a couple of handfulls of leaves from mine last year.