PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Game Show Question Ever

divemaster
06-10-2000, 08:38 PM
I was watching the College World Series (Geaux Tigers!) and flipped over to Fox to catch a little of America's Most Wanted. However, there was a quiz show on instead.

The question I saw was: "What is the only mammal that can truly fly?"

The three possible answers were:

--pigeon
--penguin
--bat

This was worth $128,000.

Now, I realize I'm a biologist; but I can't imagine that there is anyone over the age of 5 that wouldn't have been able to answer this correctly.

Coldfire
06-10-2000, 08:52 PM
Jeez. Everybody knows a bat is a reptile. How dumb!

Weirddave
06-10-2000, 09:04 PM
And naturally, The Penguin is a master criminal.

tubagirl
06-10-2000, 09:07 PM
But I thought is was a bird that flew...

That is the education they are giving people today. sheesh!

ruadh
06-10-2000, 09:16 PM
Here's another good one, from the Newlywed Game circa 1985. I don't know why but I laughed my arse off at this one and obviously it's stuck in my memory:

"Which of these names would your husband LEAST want to give to your son: Larry, Walter, or Bruce?"

(I think most of the contestants picked Walter)

Saint Zero
06-11-2000, 02:09 AM
This one from Quiz Bowl...

"What can stop the Duke of Earl?"

I was too stunned to ring in.

Whammo
06-11-2000, 02:19 AM
Butterflies!!!!!!!!!!!

Xgemina
06-11-2000, 03:50 AM
actually, any of the first 4 questions on "who wants to be a millionaire" fits this OP perfectly. they are usually something like "how many sides to a square"

DRY
06-11-2000, 06:19 AM
What do you find in men's trousers and on a pool table?

The answer, of course, is "pockets".

Little Nemo
06-11-2000, 08:34 AM
I remember watching a game show once where the contestant was given the occupations and first names of two famous people and had to guess their common last name.

The question was: Patriot Benjamin and singer Aretha.

The answer given: Washington.

handy
06-11-2000, 10:53 AM
On Chance of a Lifetime, the first question for a blond woman [who was rich too] was, 'A rolling stone gathers no what?'

She thought at first, could be dust, might be grass, so she went with 'dust'. That was worth $10,000 too. IM not kidding.

Nika
06-11-2000, 10:59 AM
I need to vent something here. Thank you in advance for your time. I was watching Jeopardy, a show I think most people respect. The answer was the longest bone in the body. Obviously the answer was the femur, in the upper leg. I would have thought since they asked for the bone the correct anatomical name would have been expected. But, they accepted THIGH BONE. I have consulted anatomy texts and done a thorough cadaver dissection and have yet to find something acceptably called the thigh bone. I just thought that Jeopardy would have expected a little more detail and knowledge, I mean you are supposed to be smart to get on the show.

Thanks, I needed that :)

ThisYearsGirl
06-11-2000, 11:11 AM
I know this is from Who Wants to Be a Millionare and was the $200 question, but. . . come on!
Which of these words is the opposite of big?
A)large B)kind
C)small D)tasty

Nika
06-11-2000, 11:14 AM
duh?

Omniscient
06-11-2000, 04:36 PM
Nika, Jeopardy! is odd like that. You'll hear them accept some vaguely related answers frequently. I'm not sure if the decide before hand that the point of the question is to know the intent of the question, or the proper terminology. I'm not sure what the judges criteria is, but it seems inconsistent. I agree with your example that Femur should have been the expected answer, but it doesn't bother me as long as they treat all the questions equally. This is where they fail often, I've heard Alex diqualify answers frequently for simple bad pronunciation, or adding a plural. Now, if its a specific movie or book title I can understand requiring the exact phrase, but when you're asking for some obscure European person, I don't think they should be burned for mispronouncing the name.

Chronos
06-11-2000, 05:05 PM
I've heard Alex diqualify answers frequently for simple bad pronunciation
I can't speak for Jeopardy, but I was on one of those local high-school quiz shows, and was counted wrong for answering "Mary Antoinette" instead of "Marie". Actually, if it had been written, I would have spelled it "Marie", but I never realized that the pronounciations were necessarily distinct. Heck, "Mary" is the English form of the same name... Would they have marked me wrong for calling that guy who lived 2000 years ago Jesus, instead of Joshua?

Kilgore Trout
06-11-2000, 05:05 PM
would you mind telling me how thigh bone is a wrong answer? sure, it's not as accurate as femur, but i don't see it as wrong.

from the merriam-webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: fe·mur
Pronunciation: 'fE-m&r
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fe·murs or fem·o·ra /'fe-m&-r&, 'fem-r&/
Etymology: New Latin femor-, femur, from Latin, thigh
Date: circa 1771
1 : the proximal bone of the hind or lower limb -- called also thighbone

dook
06-11-2000, 05:20 PM
I remember watching an old episode of Cheers where Cliff got on jeopardy. I don't remember what the answer (question) was, but his answer was "Who are... three men who have never been in my kitchen?" And if I remember correctly, it was accepted as an answer. Kind of funny...

-dook

Kilgore Trout
06-11-2000, 05:26 PM
no, it wasn't accepted as an answer. that is how cliff lost.

Little Nemo
06-11-2000, 06:01 PM
Chronos, I feel your pain. I too was a victim of a stupid game show judge. In my case it was a college, rather than high school, show. The question was "Who was the only President to be impeached?" (This was back when Bill Clinton was still screwing office workers in Little Rock.) I said Andrew Johnson. The judge insisted it was Andrew Jackson and by the rules of the show her decision was final.

dook
06-11-2000, 06:08 PM

Oh... I could have sworn it was accepted because the question wasn't specific enough... or something. Ahh well. I haven't seen that episode since it was first released, so it's not surprising that my rotting grey matter manufactured it's own memory of the show ;)

-dook of URL

SoapBoxMessiah
06-11-2000, 07:23 PM
Oh... I could have sworn it was accepted because the question wasn't specific enough... or something.

Maybe you were thinking of this one:

Host : What is the capital of Ohio?
Cont.: That would be the letter O, Bob.

Can't remember which sitcom it was on, might have been Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

dook
06-11-2000, 09:59 PM
Maybe you were thinking of this one:

Host : What is the capital of Ohio?
Cont.: That would be the letter O, Bob.

Can't remember which sitcom it was on, might have been Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

LOL

Yes, I remember that one too, but it was the Cheers one I was thinking of. The fresh prince one was will & carlton vs. 'jazz' & some other guy... and Jazz was the one that gave the answer 'O'. I just realized that I may be guilty of watching entirely too much TV.

-dook

Argeable
06-11-2000, 10:03 PM
And naturally, The Penguin is a master criminal.

Wallace and Grommit! Yay!!!!! But wait...isn't that the chicken that's a criminal?

SqrlCub
06-12-2000, 12:42 AM
To get back on topic, everyone knows bats are bugs. They are perhaps the best bugs in the whole wide world. So sayeth Calvin and everyone knows his word is gospel. (winky face deleted for political reasons)

HUGS!
Sqrl

divemaster
06-12-2000, 12:48 AM
BATS AREN'T BUGS!!!

I thought that was one of the better story lines Watterson came up with. Poor Calvin. What kind of grade would he expect, tracing the Batman logo and drawing fangs on it. I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Calvin's bat fiasco.

panamajack
06-12-2000, 01:23 AM
Calvin's bat fiasco? What about Casey's bat fiasco? And doesn't the Penguin fly with his umbrella? (oops, that's Mary Poppins.)

WRT - OP I'm kind of surprised they didn't have Rocket J. Squirrel as an answer. Okay, maybe surprise they didn't have any mammals to answer wrong either.

I saw the very beginning of Regis goes to New York tonight and they had a million-dollar question of, "when was New Year's Day celebrated in the American colonies?" and the answers were Mar. 25, Dec. 1, Sep. 25, and July 1. Hardly common knowledge, to be sure, but for a million dollars? This one seemed almost psychological (i.e it seems too easy and there's a lot of money at stake), but the guy simply didn't know it. too bad.

... and my sister had a video where a majority of college graduates (although they were asked right around graduation, when most people's minds are blank) could not explain why and how we have seasons.

panama jack

MrWhipple
06-12-2000, 01:35 AM
Recently on Who Wants to Be a Millionare the following question came up:

-----
Which direction does the needle on a magnetic compass point?
a) North
b) West
c) East
d) South
-----

The contestant hemmed and hawed over this one. She honestly did not know. So she phoned a friend. And her friend wasn't sure either!

I could only sit there with my mouth open, watching this display of sheer idiocy. Moronic, simply moronic.

(Oh, and the contestant guessed "North", which, of course, was the right answer.)

panamajack
06-12-2000, 02:07 AM
Sometimes you get to this little blank screen, and forget what you were going to post ...

I was meaning to add a bit to the Cheers episode, since I actually spent at least some time watching the 4 episodes a day when it was real popular in syndication. Dook, perhaps a brief synopsis of the Jeopardy! episode might help :

Cliff finally gets to go to Jeopardy! to show off his knowledge. The categories (for Double Jeopardy) are US Post Office, Stamps, Beer, or some such and Cliff cleans up. He's going into Final Jeopardy with at least 3 times the closest contestant. But he gets stumped on that answer, and writes that question. Alex Trebek says "Now, Cliff, unless you were a complete idiot and wagered everything ..." to which Cliff replies, "Nope, only a moron would do that! Really, Alex, there's, uh, no need to see my wager, is there?" And the wager (everything, of course) is revealed. At this point Dan Larroquette bursts in shouting, "Bull, I want to be your Love Slave!" (Oops, wrong sitcom-game-show connection).

I saw an episode of Jep recently where Alex used a really similar line before revealing the obvious winner's wager. luckily, she won.

panama jack

TwistofFate
06-12-2000, 03:54 AM
OK,
There is a programme over here in the UK and Ireland called Family Fortunes, in the states it was called Family Feud.

Here are some of the answers. I kid you not

The following are ACTUAL answers given by contestants on "Family
Fortunes"in
the UK. If you've ever doubted that the families who appear on this show
are
of sub-human intelligence, doubt no longer - they are all morons and Les
Dennis is their King...
Q. Name something a blind person might use
A. A sword
Q. Name a song with moon in the title
A. Blue Suede Moon

Q. Name a bird with a long neck
A. Naomi Campbell

Q. Name an occupation where you need a torch
A. A burglar

Q. Name a famous brother and sister
A. Bonnie & Clyde

Q. Name a dangerous race
A. The Arabs

Q. Name an item of clothing worn by the Three Musketeers
A. A horse

Q. Name something that floats in the bath
A. Water

Q. Name something you wear on the beach
A. A deckchair

Q. Name something Red
A. My cardigan

Q. Name a famous royal
A. Mail

Q. Name a number you have to memorise
A. 7

Q. Name something in the garden that's green
A. Shed

Q. Name something that flies that doesn't have an engine
A. A bicycle with wings
Q. Name something you might be allergic to
A. Skiing

Q. Name a famous bridge
A. The bridge over troubled waters

Q. Name something a cat does
A. Goes to the toilet

Q. Name something you do in the bathroom
A. Decorate

Q. Name an animal you might see at the zoo
A. A dog

Q. Name something associated with the police
A. Pigs

Q. Name a sign of the zodiac
A. April

Q. Name something slippery
A. A conman

Q. Name a kind of ache
A. Fillet 'O' Fish (?)

Q. Name a food that can be brown or white
A. Potato

Q. Name a jacket potato topping
A. Jam

Q. Name a famous Scotsman
A. Jock

Q. Name something with a hole in it
A. Window

Q. Name a non-living object with legs
A. Plant

Q. Name a domestic animal
A. Leopard

Q. Name a part of the body beginning with 'N'
A. Knee

Q. Name a way of cooking fish
A. Cod

Q. Name something you open other than a door
A. Your bowels

DippyMonger
06-12-2000, 07:41 AM
How's this for a dead easy one...

This real "stumper" was on a game show here in Australia for $25,000.

Q. Which Italian revolutionary was hung in 1659 for practising witchcraft?

(uhhh, dunno????)

omni-not
06-12-2000, 08:07 AM
Not sure she phoned a friend on that one. But I DO remember her saying: "I know it's not East or West." I, too, sat dumbstruck through the whole episode. IIRC, she also had trouble with the previous question, where the answer was: "pink elephants".

Good ole Regis was beginning to make fun of her (general lack of knowledge) when, out of the blue, she blurted out something like "Some say that there are quite a few things you don't know either, Regis..." [Could that be true?]

She continued to struggle on basically nothing more than a wing and a prayer and, having exhausted all of her lifelines (and her luck), she left the show with $64,000. Truly amazing.

GuanoLad
06-12-2000, 08:23 AM

(uhhh, dunno????)

Uh. Yeah, actually. I haven't a clue.

Nika
06-12-2000, 08:50 AM
would you mind telling me how thigh bone is a wrong answer? sure, it's not as accurate as femur, but i don't see it as wrong.

from the merriam-webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: fe·mur
Pronunciation: 'fE-m&r
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fe·murs or fem·o·ra /'fe-m&-r&, 'fem-r&/
Etymology: New Latin femor-, femur, from Latin, thigh
Date: circa 1771
1 : the proximal bone of the hind or lower limb -- called also thighbone

I am an Anatomist. It is just something that bugs me. It is technically not correct because thigh is the name of the body segment, not the bone. It is not accurate and Jeopardy seems to be something that is always accurate. That's all. But, I am over it, I do not stay up at night writing angry notes to Alex. :)

StGermain
06-12-2000, 08:53 AM
Family Feud queston.

Q: In which month does a pregnant woman begin to show?

A: September

AWB
06-12-2000, 08:56 AM
handy: On Chance of a Lifetime, the first question for a blond woman [who was rich too] was, 'A rolling stone gathers no what?'

She thought at first, could be dust, might be grass, so she went with 'dust'. That was worth $10,000 too. IM not kidding.

Oh, God! I saw that! I couldn't get my mouth closed, it was so far agape.

And last night's "WWTBAM": I knew the million dollar answer. Again. Darn, I can't remember last night's question.

I did know that Jethro Tull won the first Grammy in the Heavy Metal category. That was worth $1,000,000 last year some time.

mikehardware
06-12-2000, 08:57 AM
My favorite question was from the Newlywed Game. They asked the wives, "In your neighborhood, from what direction does the sun usually rise?" The first three wives answered West! The last one looked disgusted and said East. The husbands were then brought out.

Number 1 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.
Number 2 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.
Number 3 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.

Husband Number 4 by now has picked up on the pattern, so he of course says West. Wife starts beating him about the head and shoulders with the card. Bigger loser.

winky99
06-12-2000, 09:02 AM
panamajack:

At this point Dan Larroquette bursts in shouting, "Bull, I want to be your Love Slave!" (Oops, wrong sitcom-game-show connection).

I hate to be a stickler, but as someone who could not get enough of Night Court I have to make a small correction.

John Larroquette played Dan Fielding in the show.

OK, thank you, back to the OP.

SqrlCub
06-12-2000, 09:19 AM
OOH, If only they would have a doper on WWTBAM and they ask a heavy metal question for a million dollars again. Regis, I think I'll use my lifeline. I want to call my friend, Satan. Hold on while AT&T connects you.

HEHEHE. That would be too funny.
HUGS!
Sqrl

obfusciatrist
06-12-2000, 02:11 PM

Oh... I could have sworn it was accepted because the question wasn't specific enough... or something. Ahh well. I haven't seen that episode since it was first released, so it's not surprising that my rotting grey matter manufactured it's own memory of the show ;)

-dook of URL

You are probably thinking of the final scene. Alex Trebek happens into Cheers and Cliff starts talking to him. Trebek, in an obvious attempt to placate the crazy person tells Cliff that the whole incident has shaken his faith in the process. Never had he realized that there might be more than one answer, etc.

Necros
06-12-2000, 02:30 PM
dippymonger said:

OK, so I may be stupid, but who is this, really? I guess I just don't know enough Italian revolutionary history to be considered smart in your book, Dippymonger.

Kilgore Trout
06-12-2000, 02:42 PM
i am wondering the same thing, necros.

i really don't see that as everyday knowledge.

and to top it all off, it was mentioned by a poster that didn't know how to use a search engine to find out who casanova was.

hmmm...

so who was it, anyway?

winky99
06-12-2000, 03:06 PM
Maybe we're idiots, b/c I can't find anything on this so called Italian revolutionary hanging. This link (http://www.stregheria.com/Italian%20Witchcraft.htm) seems to be a pretty good authority on Italian witchcraft and the only thing mentioned in that time period is a woman who is tried and imprisoned in 1640. Will someone please clear this up.

winky99
06-12-2000, 03:08 PM
Correction: The date of trial is 1649, I guess I read the article to fast.

jesuslynch
06-12-2000, 03:11 PM
What do you find in men's trousers and on a pool table?

The answer, of course, is "pockets".

This was on Benny Hill. He was playing the worlds smartest man taking on a computer. The computer spit out the answer "pockets." When it did, Benny started erasing his answer.

vandal
06-12-2000, 04:21 PM

So are you being sarcastic or what?

Iguana Boy
06-12-2000, 04:27 PM
ALLEDGEDLY (although probably a UL) on "MR & Mrs" a UK show that sounds like it was similar to "Newlyweds"

Q Where was the last place you had sex?
A Up the ass

BTW this was my 100th post - I'm so proud :)

BurnMeUp
06-12-2000, 05:35 PM
My favorite WWTBAM question was:

Which vegetable is also a sport?
a) Rutabega
b) celery
c) squash
d) Eggplant

the guy actually had to talk his way to the answer... i just cannot watch that show.

evilbeth
06-13-2000, 01:57 AM
and to top it all off, it was mentioned by a poster that didn't know how to use a search engine to find out who casanova was.

I'm beginning to think that post was the main inspiration for this posting. In other words, we "slammed" him for not using a search engine, he can return the favor.

pulykamell
06-13-2000, 07:47 AM
I'm guessing the Italian revolutionary question is just sarcasm... Or else my schooling is worse than I thought.

dook
06-13-2000, 09:07 AM
Alex Trebek says "Now, Cliff, unless you were a complete idiot and wagered everything ..."

ahhhh, it's all coming back to me now.

You are probably thinking of the final scene. Alex Trebek happens into Cheers and Cliff starts talking to him. Trebek, in an obvious attempt to placate the crazy person tells Cliff that the whole incident has shaken his faith in the process. Never had he realized that there might be more than one answer, etc.

And that seals it... I remember that now. Thanks guys

-dook

Bricker
06-13-2000, 09:28 AM
This one from Quiz Bowl...

"What can stop the Duke of Earl?"

I was too stunned to ring in.

Actually, devoid of context, that's a good question... it requires thinking, "Where do I know that line?" remembering, singing it, and answering, "Nothing," before anyone else does.

CalMeacham
06-13-2000, 01:39 PM
I attended a taping of "Family Feud" once. I thought that I would finally get a chance to be part of that "polled studio audience" that answered the questions, but it doesn't work that way -- I only got to watch the show (they must poll some OTHER audience).

In any event, one question was "Name a country in South America". Bear in mind that, in Family Feud, it doesn't matter if the answer is factually correct or not -- you just have to match the studio audience answer. To my relief, all the answers WERE countries in South America. But it would have been possible for a significant portion of the audience respond "Rio de Janeiro" or "Italy". If they did, that would have been a valid response. (Although I suspect they really wouldn't let that go out on the air.)

Brunetter
06-13-2000, 05:14 PM
John Larrigan, some of those are too freaking funny! The weird associations people make huh? It probably would tell a psych major a whole lot about what's happening in their heads ...