PDA

View Full Version : But I thought cowboy boots were therapeutic for the feet!

Rilchiam
09-01-2004, 02:19 AM
There's a very sore spot on the upper part of my right foot. Been that way for almost two weeks, with shoes or without. When I walk: not at all times.

Saw doctor yesterday. First off, assured that it's not gout (whew!). Then told not to wear my boots any more.

I should elaborate that they're not actually cowboy boots. They're women's lace-up boots, made in Italy. But they still have the elevated arch and 1 1/2 inch block heel. Told this to doc, since he was first under the impression that I'd been wearing pumps to work retail (not bloodly likely!). But he still said I shouldn't wear them.

"Well, until now, I thought they were saving me from a lot of pain. Haven't had trouble with my arches, like when I wore flats. Anyway, I thought cowboy boots were therapeutic for the feet."

"Are you kidding? They're almost as bad as pumps! Go back to wearing flats, with a lift for your arches."

So does anyone know anything pro or con on cowboy boots? And do I have to give up my Italian boots? They're just perfect with my wardrobe, and as I said, until recently they've been way comfortable.

astro
09-01-2004, 02:42 AM
"But I thought cowboy boots were therapeutic for the feet! "

Umm...no... (http://ww4.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/BHGnews_shoefit_012003.xml&catref=cat680124) But bad shoes hurt more than your feet. Millions of Americans have chronic knee pain and back pain because of shoe problems, especially from wearing high heels. It turns out that most high-heeled shoes (including cowboy boots) have pointed or narrow tips that squash toes into an unnatural triangular shape. As the heel gets higher, the pressure placed on the balls of the feet can lead to problems with long-term medical consequences.

"The lower the heel, the fewer the problems," explains Mary Ellen Franklin, associate professor of physical therapy at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. But even flat-heeled shoes can cause trouble if you don't buy the right ones or know when to discard your old soles. Some shoe tips to help give pain the boot are listed below.