PDA

View Full Version : 'but, miss X – you're beautiful without your glasses' - or, Ugly Ducklings on film

Martha Medea
11-15-2004, 08:15 AM
The 'ugly duckling' plot in film is rarely convincing, because it usually involves a beautiful actress made up to look unattractive before her supposed transformation, when - surprise surprise - she is revealed to be gorgeous. Some films have managed to portray this better than others.

Muriel's Wedding - Toni Colette is no great beauty after her metamorphosis, but there is a significant improvement, so IMO it was fairly convincing.

Strictly Ballroom - you just knew she was going to look stunning sooner or later. Ditto for My Big Fat Greek Wedding: the awkward early scenes were just too obviously contrived.

Truth about Cats and Dogs - it took a massive suspension of disbelief to go along with the premise that the Janeanne Garofalo character was unattractive.

On a slightly different tack, when I was a teenager I watched Saturday Night Fever thinking it was an ugly duckling plot, and was a little confused when it dawned on me that Tony was supposed to be attractive all along. :wally

Any other cinematic examples of Ugly Ducklings?

GorillaMan
11-15-2004, 08:22 AM
I've never found anybody who agrees with me, but I'm sure the 'look-no-glasses' moment in She's All That was a knowing dig at the cliche.

Eve
11-15-2004, 08:28 AM
In Let Us Be Gay (http://imdb.com/title/tt0021060/) (!), Norma Shearer played a dowdy wife who glammed up to save her marriage. In the opening scenes, Norma went completely without makeup, pretty daring in 1930—she actually did look very plain and almost ugly.

Good on you, Norma!

Loach
11-15-2004, 08:36 AM
In Final Destination Ali Larter is supposed to be the unpopular strange girl in black. Have you seen her? I don't care how withdraw she is, in high school the whole football team would be worshiping at her feet.

Rufus Xavier
11-15-2004, 08:38 AM
in Circle of Friends (1995), Minnie Driver is supposed to be unattractive at the beginning. Um, huh? If you call that unattractive, then let all whom you find unattractive be mine, MINE MINE!!!!!!

ahem. sorry.

C K Dexter Haven
11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
There's also that great scene with Bogart in the bookshop in THE BIG SLEEP, where she takes off her glasses and lets down her hair, and he says "Hello!" -- obviously a joke on the cliche.

velveeta
11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Not Another Teen Movie makes fun of this. She's obviously hideous because she has glasses, wears overalls, and has her hair in a ponytail.

fusoya
11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Not Another Teen Movie makes fun of this. She's obviously hideous because she has glasses, wears overalls, and has her hair in a ponytail.

yeah, but she was actually hotter before the transformation....

StGermain
11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, there's the old Superman vs Clark Kent. I think Christopher Reeves was more attractive as Clark Kent, personally.

In The Princess Diaries Anne Hathaway goes through the makeover to become a polished-looking young princess. Personally, I also liked her look better.

Personally, I don't think Janeanne Garofalo is particularly attractive, (neither is Uma Thurman, especially in The Truth About Cats and Dogs, IMHO). I liked the Garofalo character because she looks normal. Average.

StG

Shoeless
11-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Talia Shire in "Rocky".

JoeSki
11-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Toula from My Big Fat Greek Wedding looks much better after her transformation.

Nonsuch
11-15-2004, 09:20 AM
When Audrey Meadows first tried to get the part of Alice Kramden on the Honeymooners, Jackie Gleason rejected her; her head shot simply looked too beautiful and glamorous. She had a photographer come to her home first thing in the morning to shoot her before she had put on makeup, then slipped the new photo into the pile in place of her customary head shot. Gleason took one look at the photo and said "THAT'S who I want for Alice!"

I saw Meadows' original head shot; she was indeed quite a stunner.

Annie-Xmas
11-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Cloe Laine on the soap "Days or our Lives." Original nickname was "Ghoul Girl." She goes to the prom in a long black, hooded cloak. Takes it off to reveal a stunning low cut red prom dress, shaks down her hair and takes off her horn rimmed glasses. Instant stunner.

Little Nemo
11-15-2004, 09:35 AM
There was a teen comedy where a guy was trying to choose between two girlfriends. One was his best friend; intelligent, funny, good personality, etc. The other was beautiful. But the kicker was that the actress playing the "unattractive" girlfriend was Helen Hunt. Me, I'd be willing to "settle" for a woman whose worst flaw is she's only as attractive as Helen Hunt.

There's also been recent movies where Jennifer Connelly and Naomi Watts are supposed to be playing unattractive women (or older movies where Halle Berry, Michelle Pfeiffer, or Ally Sheedy did the same). These characters usually have to deascribe themselves as unattractive so we realize what the movie was trying for. Because just looking at the actresses we'd think they were good looking.

Eve
11-15-2004, 09:39 AM
There actually was a Betty Grable movie in the Forties where she'd put on glasses and no one would recognize her—but I'm pretty sure that even back then, that was supposed to be funny.

Kizarvexius
11-15-2004, 09:49 AM
In Engima, Kate Winslet made her best attempt at playing frumpy. Didn't quite succeed in looking the part, but acted the role beautifully.

At one point she takes off her glasses to clean them, and her condescending slime of a boss says "Do you know, without your glasses, you don't look half bad?" At which point she says, completely deadpan, "You know, without my glasses, nor do you?"

borschevsky
11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Sandra Bullock did this fairly well in Miss Congeniality.

Ephemera
11-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Toula from My Big Fat Greek Wedding looks much better after her transformation.

She was HIDEOUS before her transformation. I remember the first time I saw the film, I was taken aback by her because I was literally trying to figure out how the hell they were going to make her look marginally attractive, let alone cute.

They managed though. She's actually an attractive woman.

Dolores Reborn
11-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Several of these "extreme" makeover shows are giving women LASIK eye surgery so they can get rid of the glasses. (As well as lipo and facelifts and nosejobs...)

Hyperelastic
11-15-2004, 11:31 AM
In the video for "She Blinded Me With Science," the old professor dude says to his lovely bespectacled assistant, after she doffs her goggles: "Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!"

Miss Mapp
11-15-2004, 11:37 AM
For a well-done one, what about Bette Davis in Now, Voyager? She is a very convincing frumpy and thick-ankled old maid in the beginning of the film but after a nervous breakdown, losing some weight and getting rid of her glasses, she emerges from the rest home as elfinly pretty as Bette could be.

teela brown
11-15-2004, 11:45 AM
If one could for one minute believe that Audrey Hepburn could be frumpy, I suppose one could buy Funny Face. At first, she's supposed to be a dowdy bookstore clerk, but once glammed up by a beauty magazine crew, she turns out to be a supermodel. However, even if she's a complete knockout as the supermodel, she's beautiful as the clerk, too.

Well, I guess My Fair Lady basically repeats this same plot. Put a nice dress and some makeup on frumpy old Audrey Hepburn and hey presto - she's a stunner. Duh.

Don Draper
11-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Grease featured the most unusual turn on the "ugly duckling to swan" routine: Olivia Newton-John's late in the third-act transformation from sugary-sweet virginal good girl to braless, spandex-tight-leather wearing, cigarette-smoking, trampy bad girl. Uh-huh.

Well, I suppose if you had already swallowed the premise that Jeff Conaway and Stockard Channing were teenagers in this film, that couldn't be too much of a logical leap. But what a message for young girls - "If you want to win over the guy you like, you've got to look like a slutty biker girl!"

tremorviolet
11-15-2004, 12:18 PM

I didn't buy her as an ugly duckling in that one but I thought she was pretty good at playing frumpy in Love Postion No.9, an earlier, really chessy comedy that seems to play constantly on cable...

The_Llama
11-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Angelina Jolie in Gia. Not that they were trying to make her ugly in the beginning, but there was definitely a good and believable transformation.

cormac262
11-15-2004, 12:43 PM

Sandra did a far better (and more cliche nerd-to-beauty) transformation in (the forgettable) "Love Potion No. 9"

I also second Toula's transformation in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" as the most dramatic. I was stunned at how good she looked.

msmith537
11-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Truth about Cats and Dogs - it took a massive suspension of disbelief to go along with the premise that the Janeanne Garofalo character was unattractive.

She's ugly on the inside.

in Circle of Friends (1995), Minnie Driver is supposed to be unattractive at the beginning. Um, huh? If you call that unattractive, then let all whom you find unattractive be mine, MINE MINE!!!!!!

She looks much better in her transformation to every other character she's played in every movie after that one.

Brittany Murphy had quite a transformation in Clueless (once again, not as big as her transformation into every character since Clueless).

blowero
11-15-2004, 01:22 PM
They did a pretty good job of making Ally Sheedy look gross in the first half of Breakfast Club.

If I remember The Truth About Cats & Dogs right, it wasn't that Janeane was supposed to be unattractive, just that she wasn't supposed to be the stereotypical "blonde bombshell" kind of attractive.

I saw some movie where Julia Roberts was made to look like a gangly skeleton with horse teeth - Oh wait, that was after the transformation. :p

USCDiver
11-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Not used yet in one movie, but Cameron Diaz shows that she can be frumpy in Being John Malkovich.

Zebra
11-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Grease

For some reason I would not go out with Bad Sandy, mostly for fear os STDs but Good Sandy on the other hand I just want to get under that poofy skirt.

CrazyCatLady
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Blowero, that's exactly what I kept trying to explain to my husband, before giving up in exasperation. It's not that she is unattractive, it's that she feels unattractive because she doesn't fit the 5'11", 120#, legs-up-to-your-chin, tits-out-to-New-Jersey, blonde supermodel stereotype. Because she doesn't fit that mold, she doesn't think any guy could possibly find her physically attractive. Clearly, the photographer guy didn't think she was unattractive, though; she's the one he kept photographing while Uma was preening. The point of the movie was that she went through all these machinations, and they were all completely unnecessary, because he thought she was wonderful exactly as she was.

Rufus, they had Minnie Driver put on ten pounds or so to carry the implication that Benny was fat. It's all much clearer in the book; Benny's not fat, exactly, but she's big and solid-built, and she feels fat and thus unattractive.

WhyNot
11-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Grease <snip> But what a message for young girls - "If you want to win over the guy you like, you've got to look like a slutty biker girl!"
That one always bothered me as well. At least in the play Danny changed himself to appeal to her - a much bigger deal is made of the fact that he turned into a preppy jock "Letterman" to please her. Makes it a little less offensive and a little more Gift of the Magi-ish.

While she's never ment to be ugly, Catherine McCormick in Dangerous Beauty does a wonderful transformation from merely pretty girl to stunningly gorgeous courtesan.

The Scrivener
11-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Not quite the taking-off-her-glasses type transformation, but in Ruthless People, Bette Middler is kidnapped by a particularly clueless couple. During her month-long or so incarceration in their basement, she starts lifting weights and doing sit-ups and before you know it, she's lost TWENTY POUNDS and is ecstatic. :)

MovieMogul
11-15-2004, 02:17 PM
There's also that great scene with Bogart in the bookshop in THE BIG SLEEP, where she takes off her glasses and lets down her hair, and he says "Hello!" -- obviously a joke on the cliche.She was played by future Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone (http://www.suspense-movies.com/stars/dorothy-malone/malone2.html)

Another good example is Lili Taylor in Dogfight.

Caricci
11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
They had this plot on Gilligan and Brady Bunch. Curse you, Sherwood Schwartz, for your lack of originality!

Troy McClure SF
11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
yeah, but she was actually hotter before the transformation....

True dat.

blowero
11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
That one always bothered me as well. At least in the play Danny changed himself to appeal to her - a much bigger deal is made of the fact that he turned into a preppy jock "Letterman" to please her. Makes it a little less offensive and a little more Gift of the Magi-ish.

Oh, now that would have have made so much more sense. I remember leaving the theater after seeing the movie just scratching my head, thinking the moral of the story is - be a slut?" Why on Earth did they change the premise?

pesch
11-15-2004, 03:17 PM
In America's Sweethearts, Julia Roberts was supposed to be playing the overweight sister (and assistant) to Catherine Zeta-Jones' character.

Kathleen Turner did a fair transformation in Romancing the Stone. When we first see her, she crying -- red-faced and slobbering -- over the happy ending she wrote to her romance. After a series of adventures in South America, there's a particular scene where she's bending over, picking flowers in a field, in a slit skirt and peasant blouse.

*zing!*

Lamia
11-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh, now that would have have made so much more sense. I remember leaving the theater after seeing the movie just scratching my head, thinking the moral of the story is - be a slut?" Why on Earth did they change the premise?I always hated Grease for exactly the same reason. IIRC there was a token nod to the ending of the stage version, in that Danny does briefly appear in a letter jacket and seems to be making some effort to change his image...but he tears off the jacket and reverts to his old self as soon as he sees the new Sandy. Ugh. I guess the moral is, "Guys, you may think you have to change in order to impress a girl, but actually you don't. Just be yourself. Girls, on the other hand, should completely alter their appearance and behavior in order to comform to male desires."

Miller
11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Not actually on topic for this thread, but I have to give a shout out to Michelle Meyrink as Jordan Cochran in Real Genius. She's the nerdy, "unpopular" girl with bad hair who dresses funny. She's totally hot, of course, but her personality is so hyper-active and generally wierd that you absolutely buy the character. And the best part? The main character falls in love with her because she's wierd and hyper-active, and at the end of the movie, she's still wierd and hyper-active, and she still dresses funny and has bad hair, because that's what the main character fell in love with!

Dammit, where can I find a sexy super-genius physics major who can knit me a sweater during a study break?

Saltire
11-15-2004, 05:29 PM
To add to the hijack: In Grease 2, the nice-guy lead has to transform himself into a dangerous biker punk to win Michelle Pfeiffer. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing, given the chance, but the message seemed wrong.

Eureka
11-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Not a transformation but another "pretty girls don't wear glasses" role is Marilyn Monroe in How to Marry a Millionaire. Marilyn's character is blind as a bat without her glasses(as in walking into walls rather than through doors). She refuses to wear her glasses when around potentially rich men on the grounds that "You know what they say about girls who wear glasses".

Eventually, though, she ends up falling in love with a guy who knows she needs glasses and tells her she's pretty with her glasses on so she starts wearing them in public.

Jackmannii
11-15-2004, 06:34 PM
They did a pretty good job of making Ally Sheedy look gross in the first half of Breakfast Club.C'mon, she was lots cuter before being turned into Miss Prom Night.

capacitor
11-15-2004, 06:41 PM
That what makes Charlize Theron's performance in Monster all the more extrordiary, a total reverse of the norm. She was still chosen to be Babe of the Year in many publications.

TheOnlySaneOne
11-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Not sure if this counts, but the Lindsey Lohan character in Mean Girls at least kind of fits into this. I thought she looked much, much better in her geek chic style than the 'napkin-disguised-as-a-skirt' look later.

Anyway, I almost always think these girls/women look better in their first style than later on. To take the genre-killing movie She's All That for example, I would much rather have dated Rachel Lee Cook in her original style, opposed to her later style.

But then, I'm attracted to geeks, so YMMV.

NDP
11-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Not actually on topic for this thread, but I have to give a shout out to Michelle Meyrink as Jordan Cochran in Real Genius. She's the nerdy, "unpopular" girl with bad hair who dresses funny. She's totally hot, of course, but her personality is so hyper-active and generally wierd that you absolutely buy the character. And the best part? The main character falls in love with her because she's wierd and hyper-active, and at the end of the movie, she's still wierd and hyper-active, and she still dresses funny and has bad hair, because that's what the main character fell in love with!

Dammit, where can I find a sexy super-genius physics major who can knit me a sweater during a study break? (Emphasis added.)
Jordan (Michelle Meyrink) did not have bad hair in that movie. In fact, her "Louise Brooks-bob" looked a lot a better than some of the 80's hairstyles worn by the other girls in the cast.

Miller
11-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Jordan (Michelle Meyrink) did not have bad hair in that movie. In fact, her "Louise Brooks-bob" looked a lot a better than some of the 80's hairstyles worn by the other girls in the cast.

Well, I can't argue with that, but I think it was meant to be bad hair.

Walloon
11-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I can't remember which Cary Grant movie this was, but he asks his frumpy stenographer to take off her glasses. She does that, but he shakes his head in disillusionment because now she's just a frumpy stenographer who's squinting.

Kaitlyn
11-16-2004, 02:00 AM
There was a teen comedy where a guy was trying to choose between two girlfriends. One was his best friend; intelligent, funny, good personality, etc. The other was beautiful. But the kicker was that the actress playing the "unattractive" girlfriend was Helen Hunt. Me, I'd be willing to "settle" for a woman whose worst flaw is she's only as attractive as Helen Hunt.

This plot is a sub-genre of the teen romance genre. In Some Kind of Wonderful the "unattractive" best friend is Mary Stuart Masterson. In Secret Admirer (one of the best, and most underrated, teen comedies ever made) she's Lori Lochlin. In Only You she's, again, Helen Hunt. Buffy the Vampire Slayer introduced this as a plot thread in season one, but then had the guy actually get the gorgeous, shallow girl and never end up with the nearly as attractive, nerdy girl.

Scissorjack
11-16-2004, 02:19 AM
In Frankie and Johnny, Michelle Pfeiffer is supposed to be playing {opposite Al Pacino, whom I gather isn't entirely unattractive} a dowdy waitress: she coudln't look dowdy if she was in a gorilla suit with a paper bag over her head.

zoogirl
11-16-2004, 02:42 AM
How about "Carrie" who got to breifly shine at her prom before having the whole thing turn into a bloody mess?

foxymoron
11-16-2004, 05:39 AM
I can't remember which Cary Grant movie this was, but he asks his frumpy stenographer to take off her glasses. She does that, but he shakes his head in disillusionment because now she's just a frumpy stenographer who's squinting.
I almost posted about this one last night.
The movie is That Touch of Mink, starring Cary Grant and Doris Day.
Gig Young plays a supporting character with a pinched-faced, bun-haired secretary ("Miss Smith"). He dictates something to her, then as she's leaving the office he says (paraphrased), "Just a minute, Miss Smith. Would you mind taking your glasses off?" She takes them off and squints at him.
He says, "Now, let your hair down." She does, and shakes it out a little, and it's a stringy lifeless mess.
Gig says, "That's funny. It always works in the movies."

Heh.

Eve
11-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Back in my Young and Cute Days, I was working as office manager/fitting model at one of the 7th Avenue fashion houses. One of the designers—who was famous as having been the only hetereosexual male models in the '70s—was flirting with me. Great guy, very funny.

I showed him my modeling photos. He looked at the photos, looked at me, whipped his glasses off, and said, "Why Miss Golden—without my glasses on, you're beautiful!"

I promptly fell in love.

Gyrate
11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
In Loaded Weapon 1 Allyce Beasley lets her hair down...

...and promptly turns into Kathy Ireland.

Martha Medea
11-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm enjoying all your posts.

I had another example but it vanished from my head. I'll be back when it comes back to me. :smack:

Little Nemo
11-16-2004, 09:40 AM
This plot is a sub-genre of the teen romance genre. In Some Kind of Wonderful the "unattractive" best friend is Mary Stuart Masterson.
I've always wondered if the producers were being ironic in this movie. If you discount the different hairstyles, you'll see that Mary Stuart Masterson and Lea Thompson look so similar they could be sisters.

Loach
11-16-2004, 09:48 AM
In Frankie and Johnny, Michelle Pfeiffer is supposed to be playing {opposite Al Pacino, whom I gather isn't entirely unattractive} a dowdy waitress: she coudln't look dowdy if she was in a gorilla suit with a paper bag over her head.

I totally ruined the whole point of the story. It was supposed to be about two ordinary people. IIRC Pfeiffer's character was originally played on Broadway by Kathy Bates. Kinda changes things don't it? That's Hollywood for you.

msmith537
11-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Alison Hannigans band geek transformation between the second and third American Pie movies.

JThunder
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM
The SDMB muse, Ms. Bailey Quarters, is absolutely stunning without her glasses.

Of course, she looks danged good with glasses as well.

Krisfer the Cat
11-16-2004, 02:28 PM
UGH, that's the plot of EVERY Disney live action film starring a girl!

When she firsts walks on screen she's wild, carefree, fun kid who turns into Prom Queen by the end of the movie because we all know women aren't worth a damn thing if they aren't perfectly dressed and coiffed with dainty little manners and no interest in running, jumping or otherwise having fun as real peaople!

Hmmm sorry about the run on sentence! Maybe I need to go run around the yard or something :D

EvilHamsterOnCrack
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Well, the thing that bothers me most is those teen movies in which the "nerds" are actually probably as beautful as the hottest girls at my school.

detop
11-16-2004, 07:12 PM
How about Uma Thurman in Batman and Robin ?

Eats_Crayons
11-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Another good example is Lili Taylor in Dogfight.I love Lili Taylor. She has one of those remarkable faces that can transform into anything you want it to be. You can make her downright disgusting or creepy like I Shot Andy Warhol, boringly plain like Dogfight androgynous Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, "angry urban" Girlstown. She's played a huge age range during the last 15 years (teen one movie, almost middle aged the next).

She seems to be a director's favourite when they need "frumpy", or "loopy", but I saw her in a photoshoot, done up to be "sexy" and holy crap!!! :eek: She was stunning!

JoeSki
11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Alison Hannigans band geek transformation between the second and third American Pie movies.

I thought Alison Hanngian was cute as the dickens in all the movies. If I were ever able to date a movie/tv character, Michelle from the American Pie movies would be it. Redhairds are just....awesome :cool:.

Cute voice too.

dangergene
11-17-2004, 12:12 AM
In the video for "She Blinded Me With Science," the old professor dude says to his lovely bespectacled assistant, after she doffs her goggles: "Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!"

Part of the comedy of this line in the song (and possibly the video, which I've not seen in a loooong time) being that Thomas Dolby, who wrote/performed 'Blinded by Science' was a long-time collaborator with Ryuchi Sakamoto, the japanese composer and general cool person of the male persuasion. (A friend of mine once described Sakamoto as being the closest thing to a living vampire he'd ever met!)

Part of the comedy may then also be at R. Sakamoto's expense.

Ranchoth
11-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Frankly, I thought Ms. Hepburn was hotter as the bookstore clerk.

And she and Fred Astere had as much chemistry as...er...

...Pretend I said some cornball witticism for "no chemistry."

Antonius Block
11-17-2004, 03:46 AM
Are we allowing films that exist only as plot devices in other media?

If so, who can forget the torrid film "Tango de la Muerte" from The Simpsons episode Last Tap Dance in Springfield (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/BABF15)? It's the movie that Marge and Lisa go to see at the Springfield Mall that inspires Lisa to take dance lessons.

Tango de la Muerte continues. The dancer needs a beautiful partner for the dancing contest. He passes by a row of women and tests a couple of them with a pelvic thrust before finding a woman who was not intending to be in the lineup.

Lisa: [in audience] Oh, he'll never dance with her. She'll have to settle for some Mexican Milhouse.
Dancer: I demand to know your name.
Lisabella: [timidly] My name is Lisabella.
Lisa: [gasp] That's my name with "bella" on the end of it! Ask her! Oh, God, please, ask her to dance!
Dancer: I shall dance ... with her. [points to Lisabella, thrusts pelvis]
Mexican Milhouse: ¡Qué malo! Once again I must sugar my own churro.
Lisabella: But I am just a simple librarian. I have only read about dancing in books.
Dancer: [chuckle] I will show you something that is in no book. [takes the book she was holding and throws it away]
[crowd gasps]
[The dancer takes her hand and swings her around, knocking off her glasses. He dips her, letting her hair down. Then he swings her again, unbuttoning her shirt and revealing her cleavage.]
Lisa: She's not plain; she's beautiful!

Bryan Ekers
11-17-2004, 04:33 AM
And she and Fred Astere had as much chemistry as...er...

...Pretend I said some cornball witticism for "no chemistry."

... as an underfunded inner-city public school?

There was an episode of Arrested Development where George "GOB" Bluth tries to distract/seduce his father's secretary, Kitty.

GOB: Uh, okay, glasses off. [Kitty removes her glasses, immediately goes cross eyed]. Uh, glasses on. Hair down. [Kitty's hair is stringy and ugly when released]. Uh, glasses on, hair up, lights off. [etc.]

Coil
11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
They did a pretty good job of making Ally Sheedy look gross in the first half of Breakfast Club.

C'mon, she was lots cuter before being turned into Miss Prom Night.

I agree with you Jackmanni, Ally was a lot cuter before the transformation. I like the Breakfast Club a lot except for that part. Why couldn't they have let her keep her looks?

Ezekiel25:17
11-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer introduced this as a plot thread in season one, but then had the guy actually get the gorgeous, shallow girl and never end up with the nearly as attractive, nerdy girl.

Nearly as attractive? Willow (nerdy girl played by Alyson Hannigan) has it in Spades over Cordelia(shallow/rich girl played by Charisma Carpenter). I know this is, like many of the assessments in this thread, purely subjective, but I for one would have taken Eskimo Willow over anyone else ever to grace the show.