PDA

View Full Version : "In the butt, Bob" - TRUE

OpalCat
07-02-2000, 09:26 PM
I just saw the clip in question on Comedy Central. What she actually says is "Probably in the ass" and it was a couple that looked sort of arabic.

David B
07-02-2000, 09:30 PM
This has already been extensively discussed in Great Debates: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=25894

To summarize: It does appear that the woman said this. However, it does not correspond to the urban legend version. So snopes calls it "sort of" true.

Bill H.
07-03-2000, 01:33 AM
Not to be harsh, David B, but your summary is pretty biased, and biased around a personal argument that you had on the subject. Some people, myself included, feel it does "correspond to the urban legend". The fact that a few details were different does not make it different.

Sofa King
07-03-2000, 01:59 AM
My parents were contestants on Newlywed Game. Another recently wed couple had tried out for the show and coached my parents on what the test questions would be during the audition, which was set up like the show itself.

When the Bob Eubanks clone asked my mother if she had any pet names for her husband, she responded "Truman". Suprise! Dad got it right, too. Naturally, the emcee-talent-spotter asked the origin of the pet name, to which Mom casually responded, "oh, you know, like Harry 'Ass' Truman." They got the nod. No doubt the "in the ass" people had a similarly spectacular audition.

Regrettably, the show didn't go over as well as my folks hoped. When introducing the couples my father discovered for the first time that my mother had reserved a wedding date at her favorite church six months before they met. Dad didn't help anything when answering the following question:

Bob: "If your Mother-In-Law could dive into a pool full of anything she wanted, what would it be?"

Dad: "Food."

Yes, my parents are divorced. No, my Grandmother never forgave my father. Mom still uses the Hoover vacuum cleaner they won as a consolation prize for coming in second place. Part of their winnings were used to fund a vacation to Hawaii, where I was conceived. Occasionally, this disturbs me.

DRY
07-03-2000, 04:06 AM
My parents were contestants on Newlywed Game. Another recently wed couple had tried out for the show and coached my parents on what the test questions would be during the audition, which was set up like the show itself.

When the Bob Eubanks clone asked my mother if she had any pet names for her husband, she responded "Truman". Suprise! Dad got it right, too. Naturally, the emcee-talent-spotter asked the origin of the pet name, to which Mom casually responded, "oh, you know, like Harry 'Ass' Truman." They got the nod. No doubt the "in the ass" people had a similarly spectacular audition.

Regrettably, the show didn't go over as well as my folks hoped. When introducing the couples my father discovered for the first time that my mother had reserved a wedding date at her favorite church six months before they met. Dad didn't help anything when answering the following question:

Bob: "If your Mother-In-Law could dive into a pool full of anything she wanted, what would it be?"

Dad: "Food."

Yes, my parents are divorced. No, my Grandmother never forgave my father. Mom still uses the Hoover vacuum cleaner they won as a consolation prize for coming in second place. Part of their winnings were used to fund a vacation to Hawaii, where I was conceived. Occasionally, this disturbs me.

Sofa King--this may be a pointless anecdote but it's funny as hell!! :D

zuma
07-03-2000, 07:56 AM
yes, this one is true.
i find snopes not too accurate lately.
anyway, the girl said "in the ass" rather than "up the butt", but it's all the same thing.

the woman mistook a sexual location for a sexual orafice.
davidb is kind of insane about this issue.. but she did say "in the ass".

damn, i really need to watch game show network more often :D

Boris B
07-03-2000, 12:50 PM
I'm with David B. on this one. I have no trouble believing the foreign woman misunderstood the question, and said what the OP is claiming, but it just isn't the same as the UL. Many people claim to have seen it, and all the claims I have seen previous to the unearthing of the tape have alleged that it was a man who said. Generally, a laconic white man. It's just another urban legend about rednecks and their weird sexual practices.

My theory is, a very small number of the claimants actually saw the episode. An even smaller number misremembered it the same way and then went on a (intentional or unintentional) legend-spreading spree. They told it in such detail that other people believed they too had seen it, after the haze of memory set it. Sure, I can't prove it, but it would take an awfully large dose of Jungian analysis to explain why everybody thinks it's a man that said it.

Chronos
07-03-2000, 01:41 PM
Y'know, Boris, this is the first time I've ever heard reference to a version of the story where it was a man who said it. For that matter, most of the UL versions that mention race at all say that the couple was black. As I understand it, the UL is that a contestant on the Newlywed Game misunderstood a question about the "weirdest place you've ever made whoopie", and answered with a reference to anal sex. To this extent, it's true. There are also versions of the legend which add details, which may or may not be true, but those details do not change the basic premise of the story.

Bill H.
07-03-2000, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Boris B, the fact that you've heard it as a redneck legend, Snopes claims it's a black thing, and I've never heard racial undertones, only reinforces the core of the UL which was that someone on the Newlywed Game mistook a place for an orifice and gave the anus as their answer.

I wouldn't call David B insane on the issue, but he's definitely adamant in his wrong-ness. In his defence, he does have backing in this backwardness from Snopes.

manhattan
07-03-2000, 02:20 PM
What precisely is the General Question here? Would this topic be better served in GD?

Bill H.
07-03-2000, 05:55 PM
manhattan wrote
What precisely is the General Question here?
Excellent question. May I propose, "Is the butt a place?" "Would you vacation there?" or "Do they have rides for the kiddies?"

Chronolicht
07-04-2000, 01:18 AM
It is absolutely true. It was, in fact, an African American woman. The exact quote was "Dat be up da butt Bob." I saw it. I remember it. It is true.

David B
07-04-2000, 06:49 AM
Sorry, Bill, but it is you who is wrong here, not me. I fully explained my position in the GD thread, and you have said nothing to explain why I am supposedly wrong. I'm not going to go over the same discussion again. If you want to continue to say I'm wrong, then go to the GD thread, quote exactly where I'm wrong, and back up your claims.

Chronos
07-04-2000, 11:59 AM
Just popping in to, first, welcome Chronolicht to the board (you were being sarchastic, right, licht?), and secondly, to note that despite the similarity of names, there's no relation between us, that I know of. :)

Chronolicht
07-04-2000, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Y'all are right friendly. Sarcastic? Sure! That and so much more!
If you are a mammalian vertebrate biped with parallax vision and opposing thumbs, then we are definitely related. See you under the big top...

manhattan
07-04-2000, 01:31 PM
Geez. I'm not sure I would personally catagorize this as a Great Debate, but since our board lacks a forum called "Silly Arguments Over Reruns of Bad Television," I'll send the thread over to the tender mercies of David B and Gaudere.

David B
07-04-2000, 02:01 PM
How dare you call this a silly argument?! It is one of the greatest debates of all times! Why, it ranks up there with "The Earth is Flat, I read it in the paper..."! ;)

Bill H.
07-04-2000, 02:02 PM
David B wrote
Sorry, Bill, but it is you who is wrong here, not me. I fully explained my position in the GD thread, and you have said nothing to explain why I am supposedly wrong. I'm not going to go over the same discussion again. If you want to continue to say I'm wrong, then go to the GD thread, quote exactly where I'm wrong, and back up your claims.

Oh, yeah? Well I say
Sorry, David B, but it is you who is wrong here, not me. I fully explained my position in the GD thread, and you have said nothing to explain why I am supposedly wrong. I'm not going to go over the same discussion again. If you want to continue to say I'm wrong, then go to the GD thread, quote exactly where I'm wrong, and back up your claims.
What do ya think of that, Buck-o?

Saying I'm wrong is not an argument; saying that you've already spoken is not an argument, and certainly neither is proof that you're right.

Although I do agree that the subject has been argued to death and there's no new info in sight.

David B
07-04-2000, 02:11 PM
Bill said:
What do ya think of that, Buck-o? I think you're still wrong, and you can't even come up with a good argument.
Saying I'm wrong is not an argument; saying that you've already spoken is not an argument, and certainly neither is proof that you're right. Saying I've already spoken is intended to refer you to the much longer points I've already made. You still have not explained why I am wrong there, even when I specifically asked you to quote where I was wrong and back up your claims. Sad.

Bill H.
07-04-2000, 03:14 PM
David B, All right, I don't know why I'm getting sucked into this, but I've gone back and read all of your postings on the last thread.

Basically, you spent very little time arguing about whether this is still an UL. Instead you talked mostly about how Libertarian was wrong in his description of the event. Nearly every one of your points refers to some nit that he made: he referred to shots of the audience, he referred to the couple as black, etc. etc.

See, the thing is I don't care what Lib's position is and I'm not interested in debating what his position is. And I'm not interested in debating who is closer to truth between the two of you. This isn't about you, David B; it's a debate about whether an event actually occurred.

So, frankly, I find that there was very little from you in that post that directly relates to the following topic: "Is the 'In the butt, Bob' story an UL?"

So, I will again refer you to my statement above, and ask you what your argument is against it. Saying "read my argument with Lib" is not an argument.
The core of the UL was that someone on the Newlywed Game mistook a place for an orifice and gave the anus as their answer.

Bill H.
07-04-2000, 04:04 PM
You know, there are lots of things in life that I love to debate. And this isn't one of them. I'd like to offer a draw and hope David B accepts:

Terms of the Draw
Urban Legends by definition are not formally documented. As they spread, they often splinter into multiple variants. In the case of the "In the Butt, Bob" story, there are several versions in existance.

Some of these variants make reference to any or all of the following:
a) show a couple who is Black
b) contain shots of the audience
c) the words, "Dat be da butt, bob", i.e. contain racial undertones

Some of these variants do not contain references to the above. They contain no racial references or instead accurate references. They do not contain reference to the audience. They contain chiefly the core concept that a contestant on the NewlyWed Game was asked about a place they made whoopie and responded with a reference to anal sex.

It is agreed that the Urban Legend versions in the first description are hereby declared Urban Legends which are False (i.e. did not happen)

It is further agreed that the Urban Legend versions in the second description are hereby declared true events, on evidence of a recently discovered video tape.

Do we have a deal? I really don't want to debate this one.

David B
07-04-2000, 04:26 PM
In the spirit of your offer of a draw, I won't respond to the message above it.

I have no problem with the way you've described it, and it doesn't contradict anything that I said in the previous thread (at least not to my memory). That's why it is "sort of" true, according to snopes, and I agree. Yes, there does now seem to have been an event that probably was the origin for the UL. No, that event does not match the most common version of the story currently circulating, which is what makes it a UL.

Bill H.
07-04-2000, 04:54 PM
David B wrote
In the spirit of your offer of a draw, I won't respond to the message above it.
Thank you.

However, you did not accept the draw, and instead insisted that "the event does not match the most common version".

Fine. We'll leave it at that.

Amok
07-04-2000, 07:24 PM
David B said:

No, that event does not match the most common version of the story currently circulating, which is what makes it a UL.

Since the apparent ULness of the story is the divergence between the "most common version" and the events that actually took place, how was it determined that this particular version (with a black couple who spoke with a black accent) is indeed the most common? I realize how it might be established (through statistically sound polling), but I doubt anyone has done that much work on this subject. However, if someone has, feel free to point it out to me, and I'll concede the matter. But barring that evidence, refering to one version as the "most common" is assuming as fact something that hasn't been proven.

For instance, I've heard this story a couple times, and the race of the couple was never mentioned in those tellings. Apparently others have heard a version or versions that did mention race. If whether or not a story is an UL (when dealing with a true story) depends on how much the most common version differs from the original events, then determining what version is most common would seem to be fundamental to properly classifying the story. But short of rigorious polling, which is possible, but persumably out of reach for most (if not all) of the posters here, how is that to be determined?

Polycarp
07-05-2000, 12:04 PM
David said:
How dare you call this a silly argument?! It is one of the greatest debates of all times! Why, it ranks up there with "The Earth is Flat, I read it in the paper..."!

I agree. And as soon as I've finished my mycological research....
:rolleyes:

andros
07-05-2000, 12:12 PM
And don't forget your court date, Poly.

(still seething from that "Gaudere's alter-ego" crack you made last week ;))

Johnny Angel
07-05-2000, 05:59 PM
And as I stated in the previous thread:

DavidB has already admitted he was wrong exactly to the extent that he was. I.e., it is not the case that nothing of the kind happened, though the evidence that it did happen doesn't quite match up to the story that was in question to begin with.

The incident described in the circulating stories did not occur, though a similar, less dramatic incident did. Snopes was well within reason to rate this as `sort of.'

manhattan
07-05-2000, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by andros
And don't forget your court date, Poly.
And you might want to stop at the bank...

hardcore
07-05-2000, 06:33 PM
Keep in mind that Libertarian, the originator of the "Up the Butt, Bob" thread, swears the video in question is NOT the one he witnessed. Further evidence that David and Snopes are both correct in classifying it as "sort of" true.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-06-2000, 02:33 PM
But I'm glad I did, now.

"Food"

I'm still laughing out loud over that one.

And, DavidB, watch out for the "Earth is flat" stuff, or you're gonna resurrect Ph------.

Boris B
07-06-2000, 02:47 PM
Okay, so it sounds like I heard a non-representative sample of versions of this story. And no, nobody actually mentioned the race of the man who is alleged to have said it. (And yes, it always was a man, but again that sounds non-representative.) The reason I thought he was supposed to be a white guy was, when people tell stories like this about black people, they almost always make it obvious (in a bigoted way I can't ignore), that the people are black. If it had been about Latinos, they would have done a rank Speedy Gonzales impression. Those aspects were lacking.
Some examples:

This is one is from some movie, I can't remember which. Two security guards (I think) are talking about the Newlywed show, and one of them says they answer to the question is (stereotypical country drawl): "Up thuh buhhht". I can't remember what the other character says.

Another one is from somebody I knew in college. He portrayed the guy as a straight-laced business-suited guy, who gave the answer quite crisply, "That'd have to be ... up the butt, Bob." No irony or grins in the delivery.

So maybe it's rememebered inconsistently. I'll buy that. But it's still odd, that on this very thread, which is supposed to be taking place after the revelation of the tape, we have some people saying black people did it, and some people saying Middle Easterners. Where is the strangest place I've ever misplaced my mind?

Chronolicht
07-06-2000, 07:38 PM
I saw the clip in question of the Newlyweds. Yes, it was a Black woman who said "Dat be up the da Bob". The manner in which she said it; as a jocular repost, betrayed a sharp wit. She knew that the answer to the question "where is the most unusual place you have had sex?" referred to place. The fact that she was Black didn't matter, other than giving the anecdote a certain flavor. It would have been the same if it was anyone else, White, Hispanic, vertically challenged--take your pick. Whether or not you think she was stupid could be because you are racist. Her melanin content and gender didn't have anything to do with it.

samclem
07-06-2000, 09:21 PM
Could someone, preferrably someone who has seen the filmclip on the "snopes site" and who has also seen the "Man Show" clip, please anwer a simple question with some clarity?--

Are the two clips the same? That is, are the contestants the same? And what does the woman say EXACTLY on the "Man Show" clip? I don't want your opinion on what her race is nor her motivation nor her preparation. I just want to know what she said.

Hoping for some clarity here!

samclem
07-06-2000, 11:09 PM
Sorry to be so pedantic...

What does shesay on "The Man Show" clip? Not what do you think she said nor what a subtitle 'says' she said.

What the fuck did she SAY? Is this too hard to answer?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but....

Did she actually speak words on "The Man Show" clip??

Boris B
07-06-2000, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chronolicht
The fact that she was Black didn't matter, other than giving the anecdote a certain flavor. It would have been the same if it was anyone else, White, Hispanic, vertically challenged--take your pick. Whether or not you think she was stupid could be because you are racist. Her melanin content and gender didn't have anything to do with it.
Well, I disagree with you. A key factor in a lot of urban legends (as this was reasonably suspected to be, previous to the tape) is alienation. That is, "weird people from other countries or groups do weird thing things." Proximity is a countervailing factor in some legends, i.e. "weird people from weird places do weird stuff right next door".

This is the idea I get both from my own deconstructions and from Barbara Mikkelson's analyses over at the snopes site. Why do legends have any power? They are a way of mocking, explaining, generating fear of, and/or defining people and events we don't understand. People spend lots of time figuring out new ways to misundertand each other. What is the basis of the alienation? It could be fame (Richard Gere), wealth (Walt Disney), income/literacy (rednecks), race, gender (the old lady with poodle and microwave) or nationality (Japan).

Sure, I was wrong about this one. One of the very few times when something that reeked of UL actually turned out to be true. I am still left with questions: why does Bob Eubanks not remember the event(s)? Why did it take so long for the tape(s) to resurface?

I still do not regard the racial and ethnic-group element of urban legends to be stupid minutiae. Debunking is not enough; I want to understand the phenomenon. This means absorbing the details of the anecdotes (legends until proven factual).

Chronolicht
07-06-2000, 11:51 PM
Clearly, you do. I think what happened is that there are two clips now, of the same event. This isn't surprising because it was quite funny and the second time it was obviously staged.
I, myself, wouldn't be so edgy about the racial aspect. Just because someone talks about a thing that happened and it involves the race of the participant, it doesn't mean they are racist. It doesn't mean they ain't either, of course.
Let the skin ehad slime shoot each other in the hills, we types who enjoy the flavor of other cultures and folks who are different can live down here in the cities, where the action is. Peace...

Brody
10-04-2014, 05:57 PM
This did really happen. I very clearly recall a black woman answering, "That would have to be in the butt, Bob." Why does Bob deny this happened? It wasn't the white woman, Olga. The black woman didn't speak with, "Dat would have to be in da butt, Bob." She spoke well and clearly. I was quite young and didn't really know what it meant, but I sure knew it was funny!!!

Morgenstern
10-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Wow, 14 year old thread.

In the ass was the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWb3WaK5i8

Thudlow Boink
10-04-2014, 06:10 PM
This is what passed for a Great Debate 14 years ago??

Marley23
10-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Like manhattan said in 2000:
our board lacks a forum called "Silly Arguments Over Reruns of Bad Television,"
That's no longer the case. I've moved the thread to Cafe Society. ;)
Wow, 14 year old thread.

In the ass was the answer
This was discussed in the OP, though OpalCat didn't have a link, and in several other posts.
This did really happen. I very clearly recall a black woman answering, "That would have to be in the butt, Bob." Why does Bob deny this happened? It wasn't the white woman, Olga.
The best we can say is that there's no evidence for that, and people's memories are often faulty. After all 'everybody' knew the original version and it was wrong.

terentii
10-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Here is what Bob Eubanks had to say on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrf5uGkm8k

Blank Slate
10-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Was the episode actually aired back then? If so, was it bleeped? I'm pretty sure you couldn't say 'ass' on network tv in the 70's, and you sure as shit couldn't make references to anal sex. The host couldn't even say 'have sex' or even 'made love', but was reduced to 'make whoopie.'

terentii
10-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Was the episode actually aired back then? If so, was it bleeped? I'm pretty sure you couldn't say 'ass' on network tv in the 70's, and you sure as shit couldn't make references to anal sex. The host couldn't even say 'have sex' or even 'made love', but was reduced to 'make whoopie.'

I believe the episode was aired, but "In the ass" was bleeped.

Sitnam
10-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Strangest zombie revival ever.

Mahaloth
10-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Somewhere right now, Opal is glad she actually has a zombie thread after she has actually died. There has to be a Opal-dead-zombie kind of line that would be appropriate. Well, not appropriate, but fitting and funny. Anyone?

kunilou
10-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Somewhere right now, Opal is glad she actually has a zombie thread after she has actually died. There has to be a Opal-dead-zombie kind of line that would be appropriate. Well, not appropriate, but fitting and funny. Anyone?

Hi Zombie!

Czarcasm
10-04-2014, 07:30 PM
This did really happen. I very clearly recall a black woman answering, "That would have to be in the butt, Bob." Why does Bob deny this happened? It wasn't the white woman, Olga. The black woman didn't speak with, "Dat would have to be in da butt, Bob." She spoke well and clearly. I was quite young and didn't really know what it meant, but I sure knew it was funny!!!That must have been back when they broadcast gameshows live and uncensored, right?

buddha_david
10-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Why does Bob deny this happened? It wasn't the white woman, Olga. The black woman didn't speak with, "Dat would have to be in da butt, Bob." She spoke well and clearly.

You're right, except it didn't air on The Newlywed Game. It was part of the alternate ending to Big.

johnpost
10-04-2014, 08:52 PM

zombie or no

things were wholly different back then.

Mahaloth
10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi Zombie!

Curse you for thinking of that before me. You win.

cochrane
10-04-2014, 11:47 PM

Hi Zombie!

In memory of Opal, it should be the third item in a numbered list. So I submit:

1. "Dat be up da butt, Bob."

2. "In the ass, Bob."

3. Hi, Zombie!

huitzilopochtli
10-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Awwww. I think this might be the very first thread I ever saw on these boards and i feel like crying.

huitzilopochtli
10-05-2014, 04:41 AM
I'm almost positive that one of my first ask Jeeves questions was about this very subject and led me here. I remember for sure that I was so excited to learn that there were people who talked about not just this kind of horse shit, but potenially everything that straightdope talked about. I didn't sleep for 3 days straight. 1999 was a great year. I didn't know Opal Cat but I loved everything she had to say then. And for many years.

Dahu
10-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm almost positive that one of my first ask Jeeves questions was about this very subject and led me here.

Wow I was just having a discussion today about Ask Jeeves, and it's sort of topic-related too.

I remember back in the day when it was the new kid on the block, that they had a promotion where the first person to type in a certain search term or question would win 1 million (this was in the UK, I don't know if it was a worldwide promotion). I never heard anything more of this, and I tried googling today to find what the phrase was and can find no trace of it. My friends don't remember it either. But I'm sure I saw this advertised on TV.

Did this promotion actually exist or am I "remembering" something that never actually happened?

outlierrn
10-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi ZombieCat!

Gus Gusterson
10-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Wow I was just having a discussion today about Ask Jeeves, and it's sort of topic-related too.

I remember back in the day when it was the new kid on the block, that they had a promotion where the first person to type in a certain search term or question would win 1 million (this was in the UK, I don't know if it was a worldwide promotion). I never heard anything more of this, and I tried googling today to find what the phrase was and can find no trace of it. My friends don't remember it either. But I'm sure I saw this advertised on TV.

Did this promotion actually exist or am I "remembering" something that never actually happened?Googling "ask jeeves million pound question" shows that you're not making it up, or at least that you're not the only one making it up. A quick scan of the results didn't come up with what the question itself was.

Soylent Juicy
10-06-2014, 09:28 AM
I saw the clip in question on a show about "Television Urban Legends" many years ago and if I remember correctly the wife looks kind of quizzical and says "...in my ass?"

Czarcasm
10-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I saw the clip in question on a show about "Television Urban Legends" many years ago and if I remember correctly the wife looks kind of quizzical and says "...in my ass?"What station were you watching where they wouldn't have bleeped the word "ass"?

RTFirefly
10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
What station were you watching where they wouldn't have bleeped the word "ass"?Maybe they were affiliated with the radio station that advertised "kick-ass rock n' roll" back in the days of my youth.

terentii
10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
What station were you watching where they wouldn't have bleeped the word "ass"?

You can easily read her lips. There's absolutely no doubt as to what she said.

pulykamell
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Here's a link (http://youtu.be/A9srPr4Lc6k) to two shows that clip has appeared on. It was bleeped in both, but no doubt as to what was said.

Czarcasm
10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Yep. she sure said it. And it was said on the Newlywed Game set in the 1970's.
Did that particular episode make it to broadcast? The reason I ask is that a lot of people have claimed to have seen the original (and other incorrect variations) prior to that blooper special being aired, and I'm wondering if censors were in the habit of letting things like that slip through on taped shows.

samclem
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Yep. she sure said it. And it was said on the Newlywed Game set in the 1970's.
Did that particular episode make it to broadcast? The reason I ask is that a lot of people have claimed to have seen the original (and other incorrect variations) prior to that blooper special being aired, and I'm wondering if censors were in the habit of letting things like that slip through on taped shows.

Why, no they weren't. People who said they saw and HEARD it on tv in the 1980s are absolutely wrong.