PDA

View Full Version : What about Soylent Yellow and Soylent Red? Hah? Hah? Answer that!

Askia
02-16-2005, 09:53 PM
The Soylent Corporation has a lot to answer for.

Reeder
02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
You didn't get the FDA memo about red #5 and yellow #15?

Wolfian
02-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Don't you remember the big flap? They tried to switch to gorillas and re-market Soylent Green as Soylent Yellow or the new Soylent. They say that they're back to people, but people swear there is a change in the taste.

Soylent Redis a holiday flavor. How else do you propose the jolly one get rid of older elves?

Mr. Miskatonic
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Kittens.

You were warned.

Loopydude
02-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Let me tell you about Soylent Mauve...

Nah, you'd never believe me.

Snooooopy
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Reminds me of this (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92osoylent.phtml) old "Saturday Night Live" sketch.

Foible
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
There was a story in the news about a decade ago where a Japanese researcher figured out a way to make lunch meat substitute out of human waste. (really!)

I thought at the time the perfect name for this product would have been "Soylent Brown."

Skywatcher
02-17-2005, 06:40 AM
One of the commodeties you can trade in Space Rouge (http://apple2.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,1635/) is Soylent Gray.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
02-17-2005, 07:45 AM
What does "soylent" mean, anyway??

Askia
02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Soylent is an amalgam of soya and lentil.

CalMeacham
02-17-2005, 07:51 AM
What does "soylent" mean, anyway??

In Harry Harrison's original novel (upon which the movie was ostensibly based), "Soylent" came from Soybeans and Lentils.

It wasn't an attempt to solace the population by making them think their foodstuff was really made from harmless grains -- in Harrison's book the soylent products really were made from vegetable matter. It was the movie that turned it into the sensationalistic cannibalism.

By the way, this wouldn't work any better in the world of Sylent Green than it would in The Matrix. I see people get all upset about the idea of the Future getting all its power from recycled people in the latter, but it doesn't seem to get people worked up about the former. But the thermodynamics are still the same.

Harrison has written long and lovingly about how he hates the many indignities heaped upon his work in transferring it to the screen. This is only one of the changes they made.

Menocchio
02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Seriously, I suspect that the other Soylents were exactly what they were supposed to be.

Soy and lentils with flavoring and other (non-human) additives.
Green was a pilot program. Soon they'll be breeding us like cattle to support the rest of the "It's People!" line.

Marley23
02-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Does anyone else know if the band Green Day took their name from the film? I remember watching the movie years back and being struck by a sign painted across several market windows- "Today is Soylent Green Day," with "Green Day" in one window.

CalMeacham
02-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Does anyone else know if the band Green Day took their name from the film? I remember watching the movie years back and being struck by a sign painted across several market windows- "Today is Soylent Green Day," with "Green Day" in one window.

Now I can't stop thinking about the guys who stock the shelves of Soylent Green Day---

The "Green Day Packers".

Askia
02-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Wow, that pun's worthy of CandidGamera. Excuse me a second.

(adds "Calmeacham" to the hit list.)

N9IWP
02-17-2005, 09:04 AM
I think the fact that it doesn't work thermodynamically is the point. There is no other food availabale except for dead people. But those won't last forever either.
Humans are doomed to die of starvation. doomed.

(I thought SG was advertised as coming from algae)

Brian

Loopydude
02-17-2005, 09:33 AM
There was a story in the news about a decade ago where a Japanese researcher figured out a way to make lunch meat substitute out of human waste. (really!)

I thought at the time the perfect name for this product would have been "Soylent Brown."

Perhaps that inspired this (http://www.atomicdeathray.com/unprofessional/zombies/shit.html) little gem. Or visa versa.

Scumpup
02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Thermodynamically soylent green doesn't make sense if it is the only food source available. Clearly, that wasn't the case. There were other soylent products, plus meat and vegetables were still available for those with money. I look at it as the decision-makers saw a resource (human bodies) that was too valuable to simply waste.

Rufus Xavier
02-17-2005, 09:46 AM

I believe the term "Green Day" in the context of this band's name is a slang term for a day spent smoking marijuana.

The coincidental tie-in with notorious bad movie "Soylent Green" would probably make Billy Joe quite happy though (by the way, it's his birthday today).

Marley23
02-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I believe the term "Green Day" in the context of this band's name is a slang term for a day spent smoking marijuana.

The coincidental tie-in with notorious bad movie "Soylent Green" would probably make Billy Joe quite happy though (by the way, it's his birthday today).
Ah, I see. That's a more likely and less obscure explanation. Well, tell Billy Joe happy birthday and please send me some money.

ArrMatey!
02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
As a side note, in Harrison's book, yes, Soylent was just plant matter. And I know he's annoyed at all the changes made from the book to the movie, but as a warning: The movie is interresting. The book is a long, depressing, pointless exercise in 'How bad can the world get'. I'd be fine with that if it at least had an interresting plot...

*gets down off of soap box*

Then there's MacRainey's, the cannibalistic fast food joint. "MacRainey's.. Are you a people person?"

RitzyRae
02-17-2005, 10:48 AM
"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!" ...I love that line!

I think there was a Saturday Night Live sketch once with C. Heston where they had him scream out that line repeatedly - only each time he had to do a different color. Pretty sure he did both red and yellow. :)

Wile E
02-17-2005, 10:58 AM

I think there was a Saturday Night Live sketch once with C. Heston where they had him scream out that line repeatedly - only each time he had to do a different color. Pretty sure he did both red and yellow. :)

Soylent White was paper made of people. I thought that was the late Phil Hartman doing his Chuck Heston impersonation? I think someone posted a link to it above but I rarely click links.

Booker57
02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Soylent Yellow is made from Asian peoples.
The red is made from American Indians.

This statement got me sent to the vice-principals office in High School.
Seamed logical to me.

RitzyRae
02-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Ah. I think you are right. Now I will click the link, too.

Marley23
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM

Seamed logical to me.
You're a man or woman after my own heart, Booker. You know, Asian people perceived as 'too white' are sometimes called Twinkies (yellow on the outside, white on the inside). Similarly a black person may be an Oreo. Makes me wonder two things: 1) do we have a Soylent Green situation going on here, and 2) what would the comparable term for a Native American be? Oh, and 3) Hack her to death with a kitchen knife.

Askia
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Derogatory food term for assimilationist Native American is apple, I believe. Red on the outside, white on the inside.

Marley23
02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
That's more of a stretch, but I'll buy it. I guess if we ever get Martians down here, they'll be different kinds of apples (green on the outside, white on the inside).

Loopydude
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I always thought it was "banana" for over-white East Asians.

Kent Clark
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
[/George Carlin]
Ever wonder why there's no blue soylent?
[\George Carlin]

Ignatz
02-17-2005, 07:52 PM
The Soylent Corporation has a lot to answer for.

It's a transfat thing.

dwyr
02-17-2005, 08:19 PM
"How does it taste?" "It varies from person to person."

BrainGlutton
02-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Ending with: "Soylent Green is STILL people! They didn't change the recipe like they said! Soylent Green is STILL people!"

Loopydude
02-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Well, there was just Soylent Green. Then they screwed with it figuring people simply needed a "change". Oh, and they expanded the line with Diet SG, made from mildly anorexic vegans. DSG did OK, but New SG (a.k.a. Soylent Emerald) completely tanked in the market. Rumors spread the Soylent Corp. was just cutting SE with collagen and canola oil, and adding subtle hints of MSG to make people hungry for it. So the DSG flourished while the NSG with the rumored MSG got, at best, a "BFD" from the market, as people who love people had already voted with their feet. The hand of the Soylent Corp. was forced, so they reintroduced the old formula, calling it "SG Classic". They kept NSG/SE on the shelves for a while, but then quietly withdrew it. Popular culture erased any further evidence of the mistake by taking SGC to be the predecessor of DSG (which, in some sense it was), and the product line awaits the results of market testing with still yet another Green formula made from Atkins buffs, the low carb. Soylent Grease.

strangecurrencies
02-18-2005, 09:57 PM
You can generally find it around Easter....

Soylent Yellow is PEEPS

FriarTed
02-19-2005, 10:06 AM
I think the kicker is supposed to be- all the Soylents are supposedly just different vegetable matter compounds, but Green is the most popular. People don't riot for Red or Yellow, but Green- YUM-YUM!!!

And now my tale- when I was in Fifth Grade, my parents took my brother & I to see SG at the Drive-In. Afterwards, we went out to eat at Frisch's (the regional Big Boy restaurant), which had a poster up "There's a Little Bit of Grandma in Every Frisch's Pumpkin Pie". We were in hysterics laughing.

The next day- we gathered 'round the breakfast table & wrote a song. Would you like to hear it?

Loopydude
02-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Hell yes.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Solyent Orange is---Circus Peanuts!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

BrainGlutton
02-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Soylent Lavender is . . . well, let's just say you're not the first person to eat it! :D

Lumpy
02-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Seriously, what the novel made clear (and the movie didn't) was that Soylent Green was nearly the only source of protein still available to common people. The other soylents were mainly starch. In the novel, the police detective wonders how it's possible that his ribs show AND he has a potbelly, and he attributes it to the high starch/ low protein diet he subsists on. This is a situation that has in fact occurred in different times and places around the world. The human sacrifice of the Aztek empire is thought to have arisen in part because the population soared beyond the capacity of the few domesticated animals in pre-Columbian America to provide protein for, and scavaging the bodies of sacrifices became part of the Aztek culture.

The official line was that Green was made from plankton, but in fact the seas were dead from pollution. The authorities didn't know which would be worse, if the public found out about the source of Soylent Green: if they'd refuse to eat it and die of malnutrition, or if they'd get used to the idea and eventually decide not to bother with reprocessing the raw material anymore!

BrainGlutton
02-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Soylent Plaid is SCOTSMEN! It's SCOTSMEN!

JimR
05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Old - maybe dead discussion - but this is interesting: http://www.gizmag.com/soylent-future-of-food/27684

They even call it soylent!

DrDeth
05-29-2013, 02:38 PM
You know, that food youíre eating right now contains people. Maybe long dead people, processed by Mother Nature six times over, but a certain number of molecules were once people.

I donít see the horror of Soylent Green. After enough processing, Iíd eat it. If the world was such a dystopian shithole as the film showed, NOT eating SG would be the sin. Why waste all that good protein?

lieu
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
I hear the Lebanese is very good.

alphaboi867
05-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Seamed logical to me.

Wouldn't that mean Soylent Green is made out of Martians? :p

Der Trihs
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Soylent Yellow is made from aliens actually. You know the sci-fi story To Serve Man? With the famous closing line, "It's a cookbook!" Well, things worked out a little differently in the Soylent universe. The aliens did show up, and promptly got Soylent-ized and eaten. Then someone looking through their effects found To Serve Man and translated it. "Hmmm, it's a cookbook! And wow, those recipes really do look yummy..."

And Soylent Green is born!

By the way, this wouldn't work any better in the world of Sylent Green than it would in The Matrix. I see people get all upset about the idea of the Future getting all its power from recycled people in the latter, but it doesn't seem to get people worked up about the former. But the thermodynamics are still the same.
It doesn't work to sustain humanity, no. But as a population control measure having part of the population eat the rest makes a sort of twisted sense. And from a capitalist viewpoint, if humans are cheaper than other sources of nutrition it makes sense to use them.

WhyNot
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
You know, that food youíre eating right now contains people. Maybe long dead people...

Like the OP?

Gah, I hate it when the zombies are actual zombies. RIP, Askia. I miss ya.

Bumbershoot
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Let me tell you about Soylent Mauve...

Nah, you'd never believe me.

Soylent Mauve is purple!!!

vivalostwages
05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
A friend of mine has always referred to movie theater popcorn "butter" as Soylent Yellow.

Sattua
05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, RIP Askia. We miss you.

Malacandra
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Like the OP?

Gah, I hate it when the zombies are actual zombies. RIP, Askia. I miss ya.

This. :(

cmyk
06-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Soylent Puce tastes just as bad as it sounds.

Apocalypso
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
nevermind

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.