PDA

View Full Version : Pere Ubu: Anyone else think they are Gods?

Kolak of Twilo
03-04-2005, 04:58 AM
I can't stop listening to The Modern Dance. Does anyone else here get this?

Kolak of Twilo
03-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Can any Mod fix this! Pere Ubu. Pere Ubu. Pere Ubu. Help Dex!

nitroglycerine
03-04-2005, 07:40 AM
I like them, especially the first few albums, but I don't think of them as being Godlike. Rocket From The Tombs (Pre-Ubu/Dead Boys) on the other hand were beyond Godlike. Check out the recent reunion album with Richard Lloyd replacing the late Peter Laughner for proof.

RealityChuck
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I think Pere Ubu is full of, as the French would say, merdre. ;)

(Extra credit if you know what I'm referring to.)

Freejooky
03-04-2005, 08:39 AM
I love them, but put them in the category as a band like the Fall or Mekons - you really only need one or two records by them to be satisfied, and they really do/did sort of make the same record over and over. Still, they were just so above and beyond any of their contemporaries that even the earliest stuff still sounds really fresh and daring.

My favorite is Dub Housing.

Meurglys
03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
I've seen them/David Thomas at least 7 or 8 times since the late 70s.
Brilliant stuff at times... never been disappointed* at a gig, although some of the studio stuff is a bit iffy.

The last time I saw them was before Christmas at a showing of It Came from Outer Space where PU did a live soundtrack - really good, even film buffs who hadn't heard (of) PU loved how it fitted.

His Two Pale Boys stuff is well worth listening to as well.

* A few years ago he had equal billing at a gig with Yo La Tengo, whom I had never heard of at the time, and I naturally assumed they'd be on first. So I missed the first couple of songs whenhe opened for them. Bah!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I think Pere Ubu is full of, as the French would say, merdre. ;)

(Extra credit if you know what I'm referring to.)
Why can't you just say pschitt like the rest of us?

As for PU, my favorite is The Art of Walking. I'm afraid I lost interest after Cloudland.

RealityChuck
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Why can't you just say pschitt like the rest of us?[/i].My translation had it as "shitrr," which actually captures the effect better.