PDA

View Full Version : How long can Survivor last?

middleman
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
The show is currently renewed through Season 12 (the current season in #10).

I wonder how long the show can last. It is still a consistent Top 10 show, so I don't see it going off even when Season 12 bows out.

Can this show go on for many years to come? The challenges may get stale, but if the casting is strong, can they can keep people coming back indefinitely?

Baseball, as a game, has been going on in the same fashion thousands of games a season for over a hundred years.

Could Survivor be like a sport that goes on for a lot longer?

Could Survivor survive the loss of Burnett or Probst?

Little Nemo
03-07-2005, 02:47 PM
The fact that each series begins with a new cast helps. Eventually the concept as a whole might grow stale but there are shows like Jeopardy that run with same format for decades. Who knows?

Meeko
03-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Even when it "dies" it can milk out a last season of "Reality Television Show Survivor".

No wait, America would vote all of the shows off the Island the first night.
I hope :eek:

rockle
03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
As long as it isn't on opposite The Amazing Race or Arrested Development, I'll keep watching.

Mahaloth
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
People may disagree with me, but I really think Jeff Probst's importance is underrated. I think the syle he brings to hosting it is essential.

So basically as long as he's on the show, they'll probably last. If he quits, it's over.

middleman
03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
The latest US magazine said that he is a likely successor to Regis when he retires. Probst would leave Survivor then.

McDeath_the_Mad
03-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't see this show disappearing anytime soon.

The production costs are quite low for a top 10 show. Think about how much it would cost to film a season of Survivor? $1,000,000 for first place, $100,000 for second place. A crew of 100 or so for 2 months. I'd say $3,000,000 tops. When you looked at Friends, it cost $3,000,000 per episode just for the cast!

So as long as it stays in the top 10, it will stay on Thursday nights. As long as it stays in the top 25, it will stay on the air.

And I agree, Jeff Probst is the man, and without Jeff Survivor would not be the same. There was a great article on Jeff in EW a month or so ago. He listed in order his picks for the best to worst Survivor. Very cool.

MtM