PDA

View Full Version : What name will the next Pope choose?

Kolak of Twilo
04-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while and it seems unlikely the next Pope would want to be John Paul III. Too much to live up to.

John XXIV and Paul VII don't seem all too likely either. John XXIII upset too many conservatives and Paul VI did the same with those who were more liberal.
So.....

Pius seems to be out of the equation because the legacy of the last one, Pius XII (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0839243.html), is rather uncomfortable.

Where to go now?
Innocent. I think not.
Urban. No.

Gregory, Benedict or Leo seem the three most likely. Leo XIII (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0829414.html) seems to have been modern enough, conservative enough and committed enough to the spread of democratic ideals to win out over the legacy of either Gregory XVI (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0821796.html) or Benedict XV (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0806980.html).
Of course, Clement XIV (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0812520.html) had a hand in suppressing the Jesuits. That could be a popular idea for some folks in the Church today I suppose.

Sixtus VI just seems like a silly name.
Go ahead, say it out loud.

So, I guess my bet is on the next Pope being Leo XIV.
But then again, I'm not Catholic and have no idea how this all works.

Thoughts anyone? No disrespect to PJPII, the RCC or anyone at all. I'm just wondering about this.

Dr. Rieux
04-02-2005, 03:52 AM
If he remembers the old Satuday Night Live joke, he'll call himself George Ringo...
:D

FriarTed
04-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Sixtus VI just seems like a silly name.
Go ahead, say it out loud.

.[/SIZE]

That was the Pope's name in the End-Times novel THE SEVEN LAST YEARS by Carol Balizet (all summed up in one volume & much better than any of the LEFT BEHIND stuff)- anyway- guess what his actual identity turned out to be? :D

I really have no idea what name the next Pope will take. I'm more curious if the following one will dare take the name "Peter".

Patty O'Furniture
04-02-2005, 09:09 AM
But then again, I'm not Catholic and have no idea how this all works.

Same here. Who do popes and kings have to take on professional names at all?

Splanky
04-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Is there a reason why he wouldn't name himself JPIII? It has a nice ring to it.

Nava
04-02-2005, 10:15 AM
John XXIII pissed too many conservatives?

Well, if you think that Mel Gibson is too many, yes. You have to be about as conservative as Gibson, to be pissed by John XXIII's work.

I'm betting on him not choosing Peter - anything else is open. Hopefully he won't do Marx I, like in one of Morris West's novels (I haven't reread any of his Vatican-set novels for a while but I find them to be a world or two above other "novels with priest").

The reason to change names was explaned very well in a Japanese novel I once read. You change names to indicate that your "self" is/has changed: your priorities, your life's work, are different now than they were before. There is a big difference between being the bishop of any other diocese, or an administrative "drudge" in the Vatican, and being the Vicar of Christ.

Mr. Moto
04-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Nearly all of the cardinals who will be voting were appointed by the current Pope.

Out of respect for him, and our of simplar respect for popes of the John and Paul lines, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he chooses John Paul III.

Patty O'Furniture
04-02-2005, 10:51 AM
How about Pope Jesus Christ II? Or is that one off limits?

Strinka
04-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I think he should be Pope Suburban I.

tomndebb
04-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Actually, if the next guy decides to honor this guy, I'm looking forward to the next pope being John Paul II II.

(I'm hoping for Ralph I.)

Aside from the tradition that the pope will take a new name, setting aside his former life and self, there are no rules regarding the name he chooses. Note that John Paul I broke the "rule" that popes would use only a single name. As the most powerful guy in the organization, the pope gets to pick his own name for whatever reason he wishes. (I'm betting against a Pope Judas any time soon.)

ouryL
04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Bozo Fossor I? :eek:

Avenger
04-02-2005, 11:55 AM
John Wayne I

Hugh Jass
04-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd like to put in a request for Maurice I.

BobT
04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think taking the name "Peter" would be a dare as much as it would just be bordering on sacrilege. St. Peter (and by extension Pope Peter) was no ordinary Pope. You're talking about a guy with firsthand, eyewitness knowledge of JC himself. A man the Big Guy has given extra special duties too.

I'm not taking that name.

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I think it would make more sense for the new pope to pick a name that has no political resonance at all. Either a name no pope has used for centuries, or a name no pope has used ever. That way, he has the freedom to invent his own papacy without being compared to his namesake. (John Paul II obviously chose his name to honor his immediate predecessor, but that was safe, since John Paul I did not reign long enough to form any particular legacy to live up to.)

JThunder
04-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I think it would make more sense for the new pope to pick a name that has no political resonance at all.
Well then, how about using the cast of Friends?

Kolak of Twilo
04-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Nava - I agree one would have to be pretty conservative to be upset with the changes John XXIII initiated. I know a few Catholics who have expressed dismay about certain things Vatican II changed. And you are correct, they are very conservative Catholics who prefer the Latin Mass over the more common one today done in the vernacular.

Splanky and Mr. Moto - You are right that it would be a nice way to honor the current Pope and the John and Paul lines for the new one to choose John Paul III. That was my first expectation when I thought about this. I guess part of the reason my thinking changed had to do with comments several Catholic friends of mine made, namely that it would create expectations that might be difficult to live up to. Also, one person said it would be a bit unusual to use the same name three times in a row. In this list of Popes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popes#List_of_popes) there haven't ever been more than two in a row that had the same name. I realize this isn't a rule. But then again I don't think not using the name Peter is a rule. That seems to be more about tradition and respect I suppose.

So, no John Paul III wouldn't be suprising. I just think circumstances indicate it isn't a given.

And Brain Glutton - your reasoning is similiar to mine in arriving at my earlier idea that Leo would be a good choice.

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 12:51 PM
How about Pope Jesus Christ II? Or is that one off limits?

Obviously . . . but "Jesus" is such a common personal name in Catholic countries (well, in Latin American countries, at least) that a Pope Jesus (without "Christ" appended) might not be out of the question. Of course, that would be Pope Jesus I. Jesus of Nazareth was never pope.

Kolak of Twilo
04-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Now that I think about it, Francis I, in honor of Francis of Assisi would be an interesting choice. Odd no one has ever chosen that name.

swh2004
04-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Pope Poop
Pope Papa
The Pope Meister!

takin
04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't think taking the name "Peter" would be a dare as much as it would just be bordering on sacrilege. St. Peter (and by extension Pope Peter) was no ordinary Pope. You're talking about a guy with firsthand, eyewitness knowledge of JC himself. A man the Big Guy has given extra special duties too.

I'm not taking that name.

Plus in the prophecies of St. Malachy, in which the last pope was to be Peter of Rome.

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Why not Pope Cecil I? :)

Nava
04-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Now that I think about it, Francis I, in honor of Francis of Assisi would be an interesting choice. Odd no one has ever chosen that name.

Too linked to two of the most influential orders ever, including the one that's been disbanded twice. Francis Xavier and Francis Borgia were both Jesuits.

Jesus, no way - Hispanics would just go "uh" but others would completely freak out.

Frank
04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Nuh-uh. Everytime I said my name, people would think I was the pope.

Baker
04-02-2005, 02:52 PM

The novel The Vicar Of Christ had the pope(an American, BTW) choosing that name. Very good book, except the poor guy was assasinated at the end

Fear Itself
04-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Plus in the prophecies of St. Malachy, in which the last pope was to be Peter of Rome.An interesting prophecy. If we hold to it, there is one pope between JPII and the Peter the Roman; the prophesy describes him as Gloria Olivae, or the Glory of Olives. The Order of St. Benedict is also known as the Olivetans, so a pope chosen from their order would fit the prophecy.

Just for the woo-woo factor, I nominate Benedict XVI.

BobT
04-02-2005, 04:55 PM
It won't be Sixtus, because the next one would be Sixtus VI and that just sounds funny.

And I believe in Italian that would be "Sixto Sexto".

mswas
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
In my experience in a Catholic funeral this morning, I felt that the church has such a lack of emotional resonance, that it has very little spiritual impact, and is hardly uplifting at all. This has been my assessment of Catholicism as long as I've been alive.

So for this reason, I hope that those wishing for a more politically insignificant name do not get their wish, because I would like to see the power and mystery returned to the Church. That more than anything would be good for society, and more important than political motivations IMO.

Erek

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 05:44 PM
In my experience in a Catholic funeral this morning, I felt that the church has such a lack of emotional resonance, that it has very little spiritual impact, and is hardly uplifting at all. This has been my assessment of Catholicism as long as I've been alive.

So for this reason, I hope that those wishing for a more politically insignificant name do not get their wish, because I would like to see the power and mystery returned to the Church. That more than anything would be good for society, and more important than political motivations IMO.

Erek

So what, IYO, would be an appropriate name, one evocative of "power and mystery"?

Polycarp
04-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Actually, if the next guy decides to honor this guy, I'm looking forward to the next pope being John Paul II II.

He can't be Pope John Paul II II; we Anglicans already have a retired Archbishop of Johannesburg named Desmond II II (http://nobelprize.org/peace/laureates/1984/tutu-bio.html). :D

As for the three-in-a-row bit, Popes Piux X, XI, and XII were in sequence, IIRC. For him to choose Leo XIV would indicate an inclination to emulate Leo XIII, who was like the recent late Pope a man of mixed accomplishments, but that choice would definitely serve as a slap in the face to Anglican relations.

I'm curious what Morris West book this Pope Marx I was in; in The Shoes of the Fisherman, the Russian Cardinal who was elected used his birth name, Kiril (Cyril to us Westerners).

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 06:14 PM
The reason to change names was explaned very well in a Japanese novel I once read. You change names to indicate that your "self" is/has changed: your priorities, your life's work, are different now than they were before. There is a big difference between being the bishop of any other diocese, or an administrative "drudge" in the Vatican, and being the Vicar of Christ.

Nitpick: According to this list of popes -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes -- for the first five centuries of the papacy, the pope's reign-name was always the same as his personal name. John II (Mercurius) was the first pope to take a new name upon his election, in 533 A.D.; and, with one exception, no pope followed his example until John XIV (Pietro Campanora, elected 983). After that, a different reign-name caught on as the norm.

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 06:18 PM
If you haven't caught the news yet, the pope just died. RIP JPII.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
04-02-2005, 06:41 PM
"Skippy".

Yes.

"Skippy I".

That should de very nicely. :)

jsgoddess
04-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I think the name chosen will reflect greatly on the new pope's intentions.

If, for example, he agrees with JPII on no married clergy, no female clergy, no gay marriages, etc., he'll pick JPIII.

If he's going to be more "radical," he'll pick a different name. Maybe something that hasn't been used before. But I do expect the name to make a statement.

BobT
04-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Pius has had a checkered recent past.

Pius IX reigned for a long time (31 years), but lost the Papal lands and had a tumultuous reign.

But Pius X became a saint.

Pius XI got to see the world plunge into an economic depression.

Pius XII had a lot of problems and history has not been kind to him. I think the name has been retired.

Interestingly, I believe the practice for referring to a pope who became a saint, is Pope Saint (Name).

Kolak of Twilo
04-02-2005, 07:06 PM
As for the three-in-a-row bit, Popes Piux X, XI, and XII were in sequence, IIRC.

Sorry Polycarp, Benedict XV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XV)fell between Pius X and Pius XI. I've been looking over the list of Popes since my friend made that comment and I honestly don't see more than two in a row with the same name. Of course, as I said that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's just kind of interesting.

BrainGlutton
04-02-2005, 07:09 PM
If a pope chooses a name with a high roman numeral -- one that's been used by a lot of popes before -- then he's not necessarily tied to honoring/emulating/inviting comparisons with the most recent pope of that name, is he? It could be in honor of any one of them.

gobear
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I understand that one of the front runners is a Nigerian cardinal. If he is elected, I hope he takes the name Pope Leroy, if only to see the expression on Pat Buchanan's face.

Mr. Blue Sky
04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Onarope I

Baker
04-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I remember an episode of Crusade, a spin-off/sequel series to Babylon 5. You can just catch a glimpse of a broadcast from Vatican City, where the Pope was leading a procession in St. Peter's Square. Just a little figure in white, couldn't see the face. Name of the Pope? Bernadette II !! :D

Baker
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
But seriously, Innocent might not be so far off the mark, as a possible choice. Innocent III was one of the "greats", concerned with church influence and power.

Good Egg
04-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I understand that one of the front runners is a Nigerian cardinal. If he is elected, I hope he takes the name Pope Leroy, if only to see the expression on Pat Buchanan's face.

Leroy is an old Nigerian name eh?
I vote for Felix.

Kolak of Twilo
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM

Oh gobear you just ain't right. ;)

BobT
04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
John XXIII was a surprising choice since it had been several centuries since John XXII and the past Pope Johns had been a rather undistinguished lot.

Polycarp
04-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Cardinal Arinze (the Nigerian) is very well liked and not the pawn of any faction, so far as I can tell. He may very well be the compromise choice. And I have a hunch his name choice, if he is elected, will be symbolic of the outreach, especially to the Third World, of the Catholic Church, with a lot of the Italocentric traditional institutions abolished or greatly remodeled under him.

danceswithcats
04-02-2005, 09:18 PM
To endear himself to a new generation of catholics, how about:

Pope Bob Square Pants I

Who lives at the Vatican in Italy? Pope Bob Square Pants!

Jplacer
04-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I like Pope Sisinnius. He was pope for a three weeks in 708.

Come to think of it Sisinnius would be a good name for a prog-rock band.

Frostillicus
04-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Pope Bernie I

Mr. Blue Sky
04-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I like Pope Sisinnius. He was pope for a three weeks in 708.

Come to think of it Sisinnius would be a good name for a prog-rock band.

Wasn't Sisinnius a Phil Collins' song?

Antigen
04-02-2005, 10:11 PM
So what, IYO, would be an appropriate name, one evocative of "power and mystery"?
Pope Batman?

(I'm already going to hell, what with eating meat on fridays, not going to church, and having premarital sex, so yeah, add this one to my tab.)

Ranchoth
04-02-2005, 10:41 PM
*Reviewing the list o' popes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popes#List_of_popes)*

There was a Saint Cletus?

It seems there have been four Popes named Honorius, the last one about 800 years ago. It seems a good enough name...kinda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavius_Augustus_Honorius) :D

The Celestines don't seem to have turned out so well, in history's eyes. (like the last one, who preferred living in a cave)

How about Pope Norton (http://www.emperornorton.net/mirror/http/www.quietnoises.com_80/reviews/norton.gif)?

Indyellen
04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I'd like to put in a request for Maurice I.

Well, then we'd have a pope who understands the pompatus of love (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_065.html).

:D

I'm not a Catholic, so I'm not worried about burning in Hell.

Marley23
04-02-2005, 11:57 PM
How about Pope Norton (http://www.emperornorton.net/mirror/http/www.quietnoises.com_80/reviews/norton.gif)?
Blasphemous. Maybe for a Discordian Pope...

mswas
04-03-2005, 12:08 AM

I don't know. I don't know enough about the Catholic tradition to venture a guess. I just hope that the reasons for the choice of name are more spiritual in nature, as opposed to more temporal political ones. I felt like a few suggestions were based upon a politically correct agenda.

The reasons for naming him Leo were not bad. Also he'll be the Pope when the Mayan calendar runs out in 2012, so maybe he should be named Peter, so we can align all the apocalyptic prophecies. ;)

Erek

BobT
04-03-2005, 12:18 AM
There was a 625-year gap between Pope Johns. John XXII died in 1334 and John XXIII was crowned in 1959.

Marcellus and Julius have been out of commission since 1555. I like Calixtus as a name. If I had a son, I'd name him Calixtus.

Alessan
04-03-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm hoping for Teilhard I.

OTOH, I wonder what the reaction would be if he took the name Urban - in honor of Urban II?

Bryan Ekers
04-03-2005, 04:38 AM
Adope.

missing_link
04-03-2005, 06:18 AM
How about John Paul II Jr. ?

Tenar
04-03-2005, 06:31 AM
And a puff of white smoke goes up for:

Pope Peil (pronounced Popeel), history's first "pocket fisher of men."

BrainGlutton
04-03-2005, 08:32 AM
I vote for Felix.

Which translates as "Lucky." Pope Lucky! There's an auspicious name! :D

OTOH, I wonder what the reaction would be if he took the name Urban - in honor of Urban II?

:eek: Urban II was the pope who called the First Crusade! I think we know what the "reaction would be" to that, at least from the Islamic world!

BobLibDem
04-03-2005, 08:40 AM
I think anything but John Paul III. JP II is one tough act to follow. Why make it tougher by choosing the same name? Especially since the dearly departed is going to be known as John Paul the Great. Would you want to be John Paul the Lesser? I think either Paul VII or John XXIV.

BrainGlutton
04-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I think anything but John Paul III. JP II is one tough act to follow. Why make it tougher by choosing the same name? Especially since the dearly departed is going to be known as John Paul the Great. Would you want to be John Paul the Lesser? I think either Paul VII or John XXIV.

If he can use two names, why not three? Pope Jean-Paul Sartre I! The first existentialist pope! And he should also be an unshaven chain-smoker, just for effect! :D

Polycarp
04-03-2005, 09:10 AM
If he can use two names, why not three? Pope Jean-Paul Sartre I! The first existentialist pope! And he should also be an unshaven chain-smoker, just for effect! :D
After reading the "Malachy prophecies" stuff (see my MPSIMS thread for links on this):

"They call him G - L - O..."

:: ducks and runs as Tom~ pursues me with bell, book, and candle ::

jayjay
04-03-2005, 09:58 AM
And a puff of white smoke goes up for:

Pope Peil (pronounced Popeel), history's first "pocket fisher of men."

*smack*

That one actually made me cringe...

Loopydude
04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Pope Shlomo I

aldiboronti
04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Someone on Google Answers (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=357949) quotes a helpful extract from an article by Bernd-Ulrich Hergemöller in 'The Papacy: An Encyclopedia":

"From the 16th century, the name chosen has invariably been inspired by
the principle of pietas: PAUL IV, GREGORY XIV, CLEMENT X, INNOCENT XI,
INNOCENT
XII, CLEMENT XII, CLEMENT XIII, BENEDICT XIV, CLEMENT XIV, PIUS VII,
PIUS VIII, and PIUS XII took the names of those predecessors who had
raised them to the cardinalate.

JULIUS III, PAUL V, and GREGORY XV chose the name of the pope who had
launched them on their curial CAREER.

CLEMENT VIII, LEO XI, INNOCENT X, ALEXANDER VII, and INNOCENT XIII
chose the name of the pope who had actively supported their family.

PAUL IV, PIUS V, SIXTUS V, and ALEXANDER VIII adopted the names of
those predecessors whose nephews had contributed to their election.

Taking a predecessor’s name not only was a way of giving symbolic
thanks but also implied the wish to be faithful to a spiritual
heritage. Hence the stereotypical, conservative character of
pontifical names in the modern era. Julius, Marcellus, and Sixtus were
chosen once; as for the others, the choice of names over the roughly
four centuries from the council of TRENT to VATICAN II boils down to
nine: Paul, Pius, Gregory, Urban, Innocent, Clement, Leo, Alexander,
and Benedict. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the name Clement takes
the lead, and then, until 1958, the name Pius.

John XXIII (A. Roncalli, 1958) was the first to take the name of a
medieval pope, thus symbolically emphasizing the end of the “papacy of
the Piuses.” His successor PAUL VI’s choice was a subjective one,
inspired primarily by a theological consideration. John Paul I was the
first pope in history to adopt a double name, but his choice still
obeyed the principle of respectful pietas toward his predecessors. The
pontifical name of JOHN PAUL II invokes the memory of his three
immediate predecessors."

cmkeller
04-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Mr. Blue Sky:

Wasn't Sisinnius a Phil Collins' song?

You're thinking of Rio, by Duran Duran.

Kolak of Twilo
04-03-2005, 10:59 AM
So if I understand that extract correctly Aldiboronti, my idea about a Pope Leo are out the window and we are more likely to get John XXIV, Paul VII, or John Paul III. Hmmmmm. But if whoever gets the post wants to reach further back doesn't that seem that Leo could be a logical choice?

Loopydude
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I understand the sentiments behind a tradition of names, but when you've got something like twenty five Johns or Peters or whoever, it makes me wish they'd each pick a unique name. "That' was John the 17th." "Uhh, cite? I think it was the 18th." "No, no, you're both wrong it was the 15th! C'mon, the 18th was a hundred years later! Get your popes straight!"

Baker
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
You gotta wonder, how many guys going into the conclave will be thinking of the name they will reign under, if they are elected.

BrainGlutton
04-03-2005, 08:09 PM
How about Alexander IX? In honor of Alexander VI, the Borgia pope who hosted huge orgies in the Vatican! Let the good times roll! :D

BrainGlutton
04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Of course, if new pope is at a loss re his new name, he can always consult the Great Queen Spider! :)

Sampiro
04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Based on current naming trends (http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/popnames.html), the next Pope will most likely be named Jacob if a boy or Emma (Emily) if a girl. (Personally I would like for him to be Adrian V just to worry those who associate the name with the antichrist from Rosemary's Baby, but Madison and Connor are also nice.)

Marley23
04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Based on current naming trends (http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/popnames.html), the next Pope will most likely be named Jacob if a boy or Emma (Emily) if a girl.
No, that's the name of the Pope 60-odd years hence. ;)

All hail Pope Connor I. :rolleyes:

Guinastasia
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Pope Sidious?

I hope it's not John Paul III-I think that would be a mistake.

Kozmik
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I understand the sentiments behind a tradition of names, but when you've got something like twenty five Johns or Peters or whoever, it makes me wish they'd each pick a unique name. "That' was John the 17th." "Uhh, cite? I think it was the 18th." "No, no, you're both wrong it was the 15th! C'mon, the 18th was a hundred years later! Get your popes straight!"

Sad but true. In the two thousand years of church history, there were occasionally problems with the enumeration of the Popes. For example, there was never a John XX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XX).

Dante
04-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Or Snoop Popey Pope. And he should have big ass spinners on the Popemobile.

tomndebb
04-04-2005, 11:34 PM
"They call him G - L - O..."Well, as long as they reunited The Shadows of Night, (or resurrected Jimi) to make the announcement. I don't want any lassie-come-lately pop diva introducing the new pope.

(Of course, if they could bring Jimi back for the announcement, they could call the next pope Joe.)

Snickers
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Wasn't one of the Innocents the pope Dante had in hell in his Inferno? If I'm remembering correctly, I doubt the next guy will choose that name.

I'm hoping for something new - Leo, Gregory, or Benedict fits that nicely. But I'm not Catholic, so what do I know?

"Onarope I" made me laugh out loud.

BrainGlutton
04-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Sad but true. In the two thousand years of church history, there were occasionally problems with the enumeration of the Popes. For example, there was never a John XX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XX).

[monty python]

Look, when yer Bishop of Rome, ye've got more important things to do than remember yer bloody number!

[/mp]

Chance the Gardener
04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Wasn't one of the Innocents the pope Dante had in hell in his Inferno? If I'm remembering correctly, I doubt the next guy will choose that name.

I think that was Innocent V, whom Dante felt was a heretic. Of course, whether or not he was had more to do with whether you were a Guelph or a Ghibelline (to put things in black and white, so to speak.) Dante's opinion didn't discourage the name, though; there were a number of Innocents after him. They went up to Innocent XI, at least.

I like the idea of John XX, because that gap just bothers me. Worse, there already was a John XXIII before 1958, though the original John XXIII was an antipope. What's the big deal? I don't think George W. Bush was legitimately elected in 2000, but I still say he became the 43rd president in 2001. It's the same thing! John XXIII should have been John XXIV But they won't listen. They never do. "It's been six hundred years! Let it go!" they'll say. "It's just a number!" they'll say. Yeah, well... yeah, yeah...

I vote for Alexander IX, because the original Alexanders go so far back in history that choosing such a name would send no kind of signal of continuity. I have a hunch that the Vatican wants to change direction, so a name with no baggage would be ideal. I like the idea of Francis I; it is odd that no one ever chose that name before.

I'd love to see a pope with the chutzpah to call himself Peter II, but others have provided plenty of reasons why that probably won't happen. Or how 'bout Celestine VI? There's a signal for you! Time for some mystic crystal revelations!

fessie
04-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Aren't they looking for a South American? Pope Pepe would be cool.

Khadaji
04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I hope it isn't John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. That's my name. :)

Northern Piper
04-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, now that the cardinals are all safely locked up, I'm going to suggest that an appropriate name would be Linus II. After all, JPII left a pretty hard act to follow, and was extremely influential. The new guy coming in may well feel much like you would think Pope Linus (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09272b.htm) must have felt, succeeding the big fisherman, Peter. He could pay homage to JPII's impressive role and assert his own humilty by taking the name Linus.

I don't know how they'll work the blanket into the papal vestments, though.... :p

Kolak of Twilo
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Gregory, Benedict or Leo seem the three most likely. Leo XIII (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0829414.html) seems to have been modern enough, conservative enough and committed enough to the spread of democratic ideals to win out over the legacy of either Gregory XVI (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0821796.html) or Benedict XV (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0806980.html).

Well, I didn't get it exactly right since my first choice was Leo but I got closer to it than I really thought I would. But, then Cardinal Ratzinger should have seemed the obvious choice in retrospect and I totally missed that.

jayjay
04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
But, then Cardinal Ratzinger should have seemed the obvious choice in retrospect and I totally missed that.

Apparently in my case, denial kept me from seeing how obvious Ratfinker was for the next pick. :p It's going to be a long five-ten years...

Buran
04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Uh oh...

Following John Paul II, only two popes remain in the prophecy. The next motto is Gloria Olivae, the glory of the olive. This motto has led to speculation that the next pontiff will be from the Order of Saint Benedict or will at least choose Benedict as his papal name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

:eek:

Antigen
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Midwinter, my brother and I had the same thought when we heard the name he chose. We looked at each other and our jaws dropped.

I'm scared!

Avenger
04-19-2005, 02:38 PM
When Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger chose the name Benedict XVI, this was seen as fulfilling the prophecy for this pope (Gloria Olivae). However, in previous versions of the article, it was said that any pope named Benedict, or any pope from the benedictine order, or any Latin American pope (with olive complexion), or any pope with links to Judaism (such as Cardinal Lustiger) would also fulfill the prophecy, thus giving a very broad array of possibilities.

Yeah you can't argue with spot-on prophesising like that :rolleyes:

Rashak Mani
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah you can't argue with spot-on prophesising like that :rolleyes:
Yep... especially when the Pope gets to chose his name ! If you ever see a clear cut prophecy do please tell me... they are always cryptic and open to a thousand interpretations... :rolleyes:

Antigen
04-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm scared!
Please note that I'm not really sitting here quaking in terror. But if the next guy is Peter...

Skammer
04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I hope it isn't John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. That's my name. :)

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? That's my name too!

Fear Itself
04-19-2005, 05:46 PM
An interesting prophecy. If we hold to it, there is one pope between JPII and the Peter the Roman; the prophesy describes him as Gloria Olivae, or the Glory of Olives. The Order of St. Benedict is also known as the Olivetans, so a pope chosen from their order would fit the prophecy.

Just for the woo-woo factor, I nominate Benedict XVI.Can I pick 'em or what?

T minus 2 popes and counting till Armageddon.