PDA

View Full Version : A sad day - did Johnny Cash really record this?

HMS Irruncible
04-17-2005, 05:07 AM
I was just downloading some Johnny Cash mp3's, and to my horror, I ran across this tune called "Ship Those Niggers Back." I downloaded it, hoping against hope that it would turn out to be an ironic comment against racism. Sadly, this wasn't the case. It was as bad as the title suggests. Worse, even. It was a very old recording of poor quality, so I can't tell for certain if the singer was actually him.

I am given hope by the fact that Google returns very few matches on this subject, so I hope to god this was just a mislabeling of the mp3 file. I understand he wasn't a perfect man, but this kind of racism is something I'd have a really hard time overlooking. Someone please assure me this isn't actually Johnny Cash.

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Most likely it's actually David Allen Coe.

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Most likely it's actually David Allen Coe.
Well [url=http://kelterlip08.tripod.com/id7.html]this tripod page[/i] says Johnny Cash :(

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:14 AM
fixed link (http://kelterlip08.tripod.com/id7.html) :smack:

.... and this geocities page (http://www.geocities.com/wavsusindexhtml/country) says "Johnny Rebel".

I'm a wealth of reliable cites, aren't I?

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:16 AM
Screw it, let's go 4 for 4....

Odis & The 3 Bigots (http://www.micetrap.net/)?

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:22 AM
I really, really promise to stop posting now. This must be some kind of a bad-form-multi-post record... but from the above link....

Johnny Rebel - "The Complete Johnny Rebel Collection" - $16.00 U.S. / $18.00 World

This is the absolute BEST sing-a-long collection of ALL TIME! This is guaranteed to be the most hilarious album of racist country music that you will ever hear! This has been often imitated, but nothing comes close to these authentic tracks. This cd features 30 of the most popular and funniest "Nigger-hatin'" songs ever written: Looking For A Handout, Still Looking For A Handout, Nigger Hating Me, Coon Town, Who Likes A Nigger, Move Them Niggers North, Nigger Nigger, Federal Aid, Stay Away From Dixie, Keep A Workin' Big Jim, Kajun Ku Klux Klan, Cowboys And Niggers, Some Niggers Never Die, Johnny Rebel, She Ran Off With A Nigger (Texas BS Band), Ship Those Niggers Back (Odis & The 3 Bigots), We is Non-Violent Niggers (Odis & The 3 Bigots), We Don't Want Niggers In Our Schools (Coon Hunters), That's The Way A Nigger Goes (Unknown), Marty & His Beatnik Band (Son of Mississippi), The South Shall Rise Again (The Confederates), The South's Gonna Rise Again (Jessie James), The Great Society (Ski King), Segregation Wagon (Col. Sharecropper), Move Them Niggers North (Col. Sharecropper), Move Them Niggers North 2 (Col. Sharecropper), Nigger Hating Me (Big Reb), Dixie (White Riders), NAACP Prayer (Colonel Lou) and Stand Up and Be Counted (White Riders).

OUCH. And don't let my location fool you. I LURVES me some niggas. ;)

HMS Irruncible
04-17-2005, 05:25 AM
I am sorry that I had to wade through those awful titles, but glad to find out that it wasn't Johnny Cash.

So - moral dilemma.

Should I rename the mp3 to "Ship Those Niggers Back - Odis & The 3 Bigots, Often Mislabeled as Johnny Cash" and upload it just to set the record straight? Or should I just delete it so as not to spread the hate?

Eleusis
04-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Delete it and forget about it forever.

Bryan Ekers
04-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Move Them Niggers North 2

Because the original somehow didn't get its point across.

Rube E. Tewesday
04-17-2005, 07:25 AM
We had a thread a while back where a Johnny Horton fan was horrified because someone had told him that Horton had recorded "Who needs a Nigger". Somehow or other all this Johnny Rebel crap seems to get connected to every country singer named Johnny.

John Carter of Mars
04-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow, Rube E. Tewesday has got some memory! I'm the one that started the Johnny Horton thread, and finally satisfied myself that it wasn't Johnny Horton who made those records.

I checked around some back then, and Johnny Rebel is the artist (to use the term loosely) that's responsible. Some say that Johnny Rebel is a "pen name" for David Allen Coe, but I wouldn't make that claim myself without better information than what I was able to find.

Note that mp3 files on the 'net are often improperly credited. Most of the time, it's no big deal. When it's something like this, it sucks.

Little Nemo
04-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Anyone else think it would be fun to have Johnny Rebel audition for Suge Knight?

CountrifiedSoul
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Just to set the record straight; Johnny Rebel is not the pseudonym of David Allen Coe or Johnny Horton. It is the pseudonym of a Cajun country singer by the name of Clifford Joseph Trahan, also known as Pee Wee Trahan. He used this name mostly in the 1960`s on the Reb Rebel label out of Louisiana.

Quasimodem
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Jesus, Cos! :)

Ya had me chewing my nails, there!;)

Q

Peremensoe
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Somehow or other all this Johnny Rebel crap seems to get connected to every country singer named Johnny.

And other songs get attributed to him (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=12812614#post12812614).

gaffa
02-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I checked around some back then, and Johnny Rebel is the artist (to use the term loosely) that's responsible. Some say that Johnny Rebel is a "pen name" for David Allen Coe, but I wouldn't make that claim myself without better information than what I was able to find.
CountrifiedSoul had correct information, but I could see how the mistake was made. I've done concert video of David Allen Coe, and he is a consummate ass-wipe. Half his concert patter is about him getting screwed over by the industry, but if he always behaved like he did that night, I'd say he had it coming.

Additionally, his fans were the rudest bunch I have ever seen at this particular venue, a place that is renowned for being friendly.

Note that mp3 files on the 'net are often improperly credited. Most of the time, it's no big deal. When it's something like this, it sucks.
Indeed. One Happy Rhodes song was identified as a duet between Kate Bush and Annie Lennox, and in that case it brought a lot of attention to an unknown artist.

Wendell Wagner
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
If you download mp3's for nothing, you get what you pay for. A lot of them are mislabeled. Weird Al Yankovic, for instance, hates the tenth-rate crap that circulates under his name.

Quasimodem
02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
My wife, who used to write for Country Music magazine, took me along to Opryland where she was supposed to interview David Allen Coe.

I'd always wanted to meet him, because You Never Even Called Me...... was one of my favorite songs and I'd brought along one of his albums, hoping for an autograph.

He came out of his bedroom and his manager introduced D and myself.

No offer to shake our outstretched hands and no answers to D's questions.

The man said not one word. He just stood there ("like some idol";))

We finally left as his manager just shrugged.

Q

gaffa
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
No offer to shake our outstretched hands and no answers to D's questions.

The man said not one word. He just stood there ("like some idol";))

We finally left as his manager just shrugged.
I can believe it. Nice to have confirmation that he is as big of a jerk as he appeared to be. Most of the really talented people I've met have been decent human beings, country music in particular valuing being accessible to fans and "down to earth".

Sam Stone
02-05-2011, 12:02 AM
My wife, who used to write for Country Music magazine, took me along to Opryland where she was supposed to interview David Allen Coe.

I'd always wanted to meet him, because You Never Even Called Me...... was one of my favorite songs and I'd brought along one of his albums, hoping for an autograph.

You may know this, but that song was actually written by Steve Goodman and John Prine.

Steve Goodman - You Never Even Called Me By My Name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHNOme8uEk). (Youtube link) I think this is the best version of the song.

gaffa
02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
You may know this, but that song was actually written by Steve Goodman and John Prine.

Steve Goodman - You Never Even Called Me By My Name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHNOme8uEk). (Youtube link) I think this is the best version of the song.
The Wikipedia page on him is a mess. The Controversy section says:

Coe recorded two albums in 1978 and 1982 containing racist and misogynistic lyrics of extreme vulgarity and racial crudity: Nothing Sacred and Underground Album. Also available is a best of the albums compilation entitled "18 X-Rated Hits." Coe has defended the songs such as "My Wife Ran Off With a Nigger" as bawdy fun which never made him much money—as well as pointing out that his drummer at the time, Kerry Brown (son of blues guitarist Gatemouth Brown) is black and married to a white woman. Napster added to the confusion regarding Coe's racist songs by mislabeling offensive works by other artists, especially Johnny Rebel, whose songs are often mistakenly attributed to Coe.
Aside from the fact that Napster never labeled anyone's work (individual users did), it appears to be real. Link to Last.FM page in Spoiler:

http://www.last.fm/music/David+Allan+Coe/18+X-Rated+Hits

He also appears to be a liar of some renown.

After reading his Wikipedia page, I have to go take a shower.

Cardinal
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Cash made a point of recording "The Ballad of Ira Hayes", which laments the treatment of one of the six who raised the American flag on Iwo Jima. It portrays him as being ignored because he was just a drunk Indian who isn't really worth helping. I doubt very much he'd record something like what was described here.

Sampiro
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Because the original somehow didn't get its point across.

I think 2 is the dance remix.

MOIDALIZE
02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Move Them Niggers North 2: Electric Jigaboo?

sorry

Cat Fight
02-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Good grief. This sounds like something from a Chappelle's Show sketch.

fumster
02-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Cash made a point of recording "The Ballad of Ira Hayes", which laments the treatment of one of the six who raised the American flag on Iwo Jima. It portrays him as being ignored because he was just a drunk Indian who isn't really worth helping. I doubt very much he'd record something like what was described here.Not to mention Man in Black:
I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.
I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Zsofia
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

sorry
Do I go to hell just for snickering? (I almost typed "sniggering" but thought, mmm, no.)

Asimovian
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM

sorryAs a black man, let me just say this: I hate you for making me laugh at that. :D

Sampiro
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
All of these are on YouTube. I pulled up a couple of them last night. I'm left of center but not a screaming liberal by any means, and I can sit through videos of childbirth and executions just fine, but couldn't complete one. Just... golldam, you want to bathe afterwards. The comments are of course more disgusting than the songs; it's easy to forget- especially if you're a middle class white guy probably- that these people are still among us- you think of them as being kind of like doctors who smoked cigars while they sawed off your arm with rusty tools or pirates who said "Aaargh!" as a relic of the past.

Icarus
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
The comments are of course more disgusting than the songs; it's easy to forget- especially if you're a middle class white guy probably- that these people are still among us- you think of them as being kind of like doctors who smoked cigars while they sawed off your arm with rusty tools or pirates who said "Aaargh!" as a relic of the past.

...so wait....did the cigars saw your arm with a pirate.....?.....

miss elizabeth
02-08-2011, 08:13 PM

sorry

That was funny but this:

I think 2 is the dance remix.

was hysterical!
Thank you both so much. I was sitting here filled with sadness at the state of the world, and you helped me laugh. The best thing we can do to this shit is laugh at it*, I think.

*at it, not with it.

Bryan Ekers
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Move Them Niggers North 2: The Wrath of Klan

Sampiro
02-10-2011, 03:43 AM
...so wait....did the cigars saw your arm with a pirate.....?.....

It was a different time. But mark my words- under Obamacare, you'll be lucky if the worst you get is a cigar sawing off your arm with a pirate (probably in your concentration camp [and it'll be raining]).