PDA

View Full Version : Win XP sp1: scanning boot drive for errors

squeegee
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I've got a machine which has been flakey for a few weeks, so I've been backing it up regularly. This morning it hung (again), and had lost some (ok, 2 years of) e-mail after a reboot.

I did the obvious thing: boot drive->properties->tools->check volume for errors. "You must restart to check this volume". ->restart.

After restart, the system has now been stuck at the "Windows XP Professional" logo screen for about 45 minutes. I can't hear any disk access happening. I don't want to interrupt a volume check, but it looks hung to me. Should I be seeing progress messages, or is the machine hung?

Thanks.

Mangetout
05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
If you've got as far as the logo screen (the black one I assume you're talking about, not the blue console screen that shows the disk checking messages), then the disk scan has been done. As long as you can't hear the disk thrashing and as long as the hard drive light is staying off, I wouldn't imagine turning it off at this point will make things worse. Sounds like you're going to have to boot into the recovery console (from your Windows CD) and run a disk check from there;

-Don't attempt it if your install disk is a 'restore CD' or anything that isn't obviously a Windows XP install CD.
-Google and read up on booting into the recovery console before you start; only a couple of wrong keypresses and you'll end up wiping your system and performing a new install.

squeegee
05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
OK, thanks. I figured it wasn't doing the chkdsk, but it'd been a while since I'd chkdsk'd the boot drive. I restarted in Safe Mode, it got to agp440.sys and got stuck. The drive chugged for a long time, then the machine rebooted again. Rinse, repeat. Looks like it's time to wipe and start over.

Related question:

This machine has been hanging, but only after waking up from being asleep. I walk in, turn on the monitor, hit a key to wake it up. I can immediately see whatever I was last doing, even click on web pages and browse. In the background, I hear each drive (there are 4) spinning up one after the other. One in four times, after about 20-30 seconds, the mouse will freeze, and I need a hard reset.

I *once* got a system log about a CPU fan failure. The CPUs are inside a big plastic mounting that I hesitate to dissemble (this is a Dell 530 Xeon workstation), so I'm not sure how to check a fan.

Anyone seen a machine do this? Should I figure this one is ready for the bone yard, or is there some diagnostic I can do to figure out why it's hanging? Thanks for any suggestions.