PDA

View Full Version : Where did Obi Wan go? (open spoilers, but I doubt it given the Geek Squad here.)

Shirley Ujest
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
So, I was watching Star Wars IV The Beginning, But Really The Middle with my son last night and the scene where Obi Wan and Darth Vader are in the Lamest Sword or Light Saber Fight Evar Also known as Whatever you do, don't break Alec Guinesses Hip. , Obi Wan does a Noble Thing and allows himself to be vanquished by the Asthmatic Helmut Head.

Obi Wan just Poofs into thin air.

Wha happened to his body?

Also, what is up with the voices on this? We they redubbed or what? Everything sounds tinny. ( This is VHS, yeah, I'm a luddite.)

Shirley Ujest
05-11-2005, 12:25 PM
A couple more brainfarts:

Chewbacca. Are there female wookies out there or what? A wookie without any nookie is bound to be surly. Is he more of a well trained pet or what?

Humans speak english, the other life forms speak whatever that is and Humans understand them but don't speak the language. Is babelfish involved?

/nitpicking

Skywatcher
05-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Humans speak english, the other life forms speak whatever that is and Humans understand them but don't speak the language. Is babelfish involved?Han and Chewie are able to understand each other because they had been working together for so long. Those who do not have the benefit of years of experience have to rely on protocol droids.

Skywatcher
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah, as you watch the original trilogy you'll notice that Luke is increasingly able to understand R2D2's beeps. Same deal.

Wolfian
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
What happens to his body? The Force TM/cheesy effects. Don't want the Oscar winners head rolling across the floor, at least not in 1977. YMMV.

silenus
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Like Yoda, those who are strong with the Light Side of the Force go bodily into the Great Beyond and become One with the Force. :D

silenus
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Chewbacca. Are there female wookies out there or what? A wookie without any nookie is bound to be surly. Is he more of a well trained pet or what?

There were female wookies shown on the (in)famous Star Wars Christmes Special.

Scumpup
05-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Did they have enormous, hairy breasteses?

silenus
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, that is pretty much how you tell the difference! :D

Murcielago
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Qui-Gon Jinn makes a special guest appearence in the Ep.III graphic novel, promising to teach Yoda (and Kenobi) the secrets of merging with the force.

So the legend of Liam Neeson grows. Not only does he have a bigus dickus, now he has learned the ability to cheat death. What a guy.

Larry Mudd
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Lucas originally shot a dummy Obi Wan being cut in half, but it looked even cheesier than the empty robe gimmick that he replaced it with.

Anaamika
05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
(snip) Liam Neeson (snip) he have a bigus dickus. (snip)

Really?

Oh, my.

BMax
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
[qoute=Murcielago]

(snip) Liam Neeson (snip) he have a bigus dickus. (snip)Really?

Oh, my.[/QUOTE]

He was also a Nazi in Schindler's List before becoming a Jedi. Ewan McGregor was a Junkie in Trainspotting. Samuel Jackson was a hitman, mob flunkie and a junkie too. Man, they'll let anyone be a Jedi. No wonder they got taken out.

Anaamika
05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
He was also a Nazi in Schindler's List before becoming a Jedi. Ewan McGregor was a Junkie in Trainspotting. Samuel Jackson was a hitman, mob flunkie and a junkie too. Man, they'll let anyone be a Jedi. No wonder they got taken out.

Wow. I never recognze anybody.

Well, I haven't seen two of those movies. But anybody, anywhere, can recognize Sammy. :D

Anaamika
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
So the legend of Liam Neeson grows. Not only does he have a bigus dickus,
I can't find anything that says this. Are we even on the same page? We are talking about Life of Brian, yes?

Murcielago
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I was joking about the hollywood rumor concerning his anatomy, the pythonism was tossed in to sound a little less crude.

Miller
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Don't forget, Liam Neeson also had prior experience overthrowing outer-space tryrants using melee weapons in the justly under-rated '80s fantasy/sci-fi flick Krull.

Chronos
05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Chewbacca. Are there female wookies out there or what? A wookie without any nookie is bound to be surly. Is he more of a well trained pet or what?Trust me, you really, really don't want to know the answer to this one.

Anaamika
05-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I was joking about the hollywood rumor concerning his anatomy, the pythonism was tossed in to sound a little less crude.
Waa.

But...there's such a rumor about his anatomy? Still sounds good.

Larry Mudd
05-11-2005, 05:33 PM
"I'd rather kiss a wookie."

"I can arrange that."

Solo, the avaricious bastid, has clearly been taking advantage of that whole "Life Debt" dealie to pimp Chewie out. I'm sure the last thing the poor chapped wookie needs is more nookie.

Hal Briston
05-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Chewbacca. Are there female wookies out there or what? A wookie without any nookie is bound to be surly. Is he more of a well trained pet or what?What makes everyone so sure that Chewie isn't a she? :dubious:

Christmas Special notwithstanding, because there was no Christmas Special.

MovieMogul
05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
What makes everyone so sure that Chewie isn't a she? :dubious:In Empire, C-3PO tells Lando "After all, hes only a Wookiee."

carnivorousplant
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
What makes everyone so sure that Chewie isn't a she?

Something about the lack of "enormous, hairy breasteses?"

Steve MB
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
You just might see it someday, if you know somebody who has a booleg copy and a grudge against you.

Antigen
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Something about the lack of "enormous, hairy breasteses?"
Well there's also a lack of an enormous hairy... well... you know...

Dragwyr
05-11-2005, 10:01 PM
What makes everyone so sure that Chewie isn't a she? :dubious:

Christmas Special notwithstanding, because there was no Christmas Special.According to the official Star Wars web site, the Star Wars Christmas Special is considered canon, though Lucas would love to have every bootlet copy ever made of it burned.

(FYI, you can find sites to download it from, though I must warn you it is awful... absolutely hands-down the worst TV programming in history. I mean so bad you actually would rather have your eyes ripped out than sit through it all.)

ISiddiqui
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
As to the original question, I also believe they are going to deal with that in the new movie, at least so I've heard (so not just referenced in the graphic novel).

RobuSensei
05-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Also, what is up with the voices on this? We they redubbed or what? Everything sounds tinny. ( This is VHS, yeah, I'm a luddite.)A large percentage of the dialogue had to be re-dubbed, due to the fact that there was a lot of noise on set (special effects doo-dads, stormtrooper armor, C-3PO's suit, shaking the set every time a "laser hit" happened, etc.)

Larry Mudd
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
A large percentage of the dialogue had to be re-dubbed, due to the fact that there was a lot of noise on set...Not to mention that most of the actors had British accents and it was cheaper to have their dialogue looped in LA than to fly American bodies over the Atlantic. :D

I wish that David Prowse', Kenny Baker's, Peter Mayhew's and the rest of the minor cast's on-set dialogue was still around. It would be a scream to have a "special edition" with all the english talent's voices intact. Many beers would be consumed, and that puppy would get played.

The Cantina really needs more of a pub vibe: "Oi! 'e doesn't like you!"

JohnT
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM

[anal geek]I thought "Bigus Dickus" was a Mel Brooks thing. From "History of the World", wasn't it?[/anal geek]

Larry Mudd
05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Nah, Life of Brian.

Allthough it wouldn't surprise me if Mel Brooks had picked the single most lowbrow joke in the movie to steal. *cough*Hack*cough*

Yes, Young Frankenstein is an enduring classic. Thank you, Gene Wilder.

DataZak
05-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Oh yeah, as you watch the original trilogy you'll notice that Luke is increasingly able to understand R2D2's beeps. Same deal.

Actually, the only time Luke understands R2's beeps is when they're both in the X-wing fighter. Luke can read the translation on the ships computer (the scene in ESB where they fly to Dagobah to find Yoda)

Outside of the ship, they need 3PO to interpret.

God, I sound like such a geek...oh waitaminute, I am

Blake
05-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Actually, the only time Luke understands R2's beeps is when they're both in the X-wing fighter. Luke can read the translation on the ships computer (the scene in ESB where they fly to Dagobah to find Yoda)

Outside of the ship, they need 3PO to interpret.[/SIZE]

When they are in the swamp on Dagobah R2 beeps something and Luke responds with a comment like "Yeah, I hate it too" or somehtinglike that. So to at least some extent Luke could interpret what R2 was saying.