PDA

View Full Version : are weiner dogs the most aerodynamic of all the dogs?

whistling willy
05-13-2005, 05:46 PM
not that im going to fire one out of a pnumatic cannon that i have in my garage or anything, just wondering, that's all.

Doug Bowe
05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
To be very honest I am not aware of any wind tunnel tests that have been performed on dashunds.

WAG is that dogs "built" for speed, like greyhounds, would be more aerodynamic than a dog built for badger hunting.

Ca3799
05-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Mine is not aerodynamic at all. We suspect she's part registered snack hound. I'm taking her out for some exercise right now.

I can't believe that's butter!
05-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Have you been reading Gary Larson? :D

Tom Carroll
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I was hoping it would be the air-dale. Or pehaps Under-Dog. At least he could fly!

:)

Antigen
05-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I am suddenly really tempted to pick up my neighbor's weiner dog and toss him like a football. You know, with a nice spin to him.

In the interest of science, of course.

Amp
05-13-2005, 09:46 PM
My mom just got a weiner dog for Mother's Day. She's about 8 weeks. I'll report back after some ummm... tests.

Now, where did I put those giant rubber bands?

dotchan
05-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Wait wait, do you mean weiner dogs as in the Oscar Meyer type, or the sausage-shaped canine type?

:D

ZebraShaSha
05-13-2005, 10:45 PM
The real question is: Which dog has the greatest escape velocity? My money is on the French Poodle.

Kaotic Newtral
05-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Lol, just for a ton of fun I have to answer this! My puppy (8 months old) is exactly 1/2 beagle and 1/2 dachshund. She kicks ass! ;) She has the ears of the beagle, the color of the beagle, the nose of the beagle...and the freakin' agility of the Mountain Lion! ;) I swear that this dog can jump higher than any dog that I've ever had! She's a great camping companion but somehow the beagle part of her takes effect every once in a while and she's gone for a bit. As for the most aerodynamic? She's only half weiner...but she's hell on wheels!...(if she had some).

I don't call her a beagle or a dachsund....she's a deagle. If she weren't fixed I'd sell her offspring for a billion dollars a pup! ;)

Aerodynamic, no clue...fast and jumpy as crap....yes!

-K

empty filing cabinet
05-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Well, obviously, they may have the best mass to cross sectional area ratio. But do they cause turbulence? And their legs may be short, but do they fold up well for supersonic velocity? Same with the head, how well does it lower for a more bullet-like shape? Would the "drag" from the ears in front render them aerodynamically unstable, or would the tail in back compensate? Clearly, more research is needed.

Jonathan Chance
05-14-2005, 06:33 AM
To be very honest I am not aware of any wind tunnel tests that have been performed on dashunds.

WAG is that dogs "built" for speed, like greyhounds, would be more aerodynamic than a dog built for badger hunting.

Yep. Greyhounds, whippets, and so forth.

I've rescued Greyhounds for more than 10 years now (anyone want one?) and can tell you no dog is better designed for getting through air resistance than those sighthounds.

don't ask
05-14-2005, 06:46 AM
A guy I work with was at one of the Sydney parks that sits on top of a cliff at the ocean. He (and lots of others) saw a Red Setter chasing seagulls run straight over the edge of the cliff and plummet to it's death. Does that count?

Frank
05-14-2005, 06:55 AM
A guy I work with was at one of the Sydney parks that sits on top of a cliff at the ocean. He (and lots of others) saw a Red Setter chasing seagulls run straight over the edge of the cliff and plummet to it's death. Does that count?
Notice it did not fly so much as plummet. I'd not call that aerodynamic.

scr4
05-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I've rescued Greyhounds for more than 10 years now (anyone want one?) and can tell you no dog is better designed for getting through air resistance than those sighthounds.
I'm not convinced. Greyhounds are fast because of their strong muscles, not their aerodynamic figure.

To answer the OP, first we should establish whether we are comparing Cd (coefficient of drag, i.e. air resistance for a given size object), or air resistance (Cd * frontal area). If the former, I think the Dachshund is the most aerodynamic, mostly because of their short legs. Round rods aren't very aerodynamic, especially when you have several of them close together.

If we are comparing absolute air resistance and not Cd, the smaller the better. A Chihuahua would be the most aerodynamic. Preferably shaved.

Notice it did not fly so much as plummet. I'd not call that aerodynamic.
Aerodynamic does not mean "able to fly". In fact if you chop off the wings of an airplane it becomes much more aerodynamic (less air resistance).

Northern Piper
05-14-2005, 10:17 AM
We have two dogs, a basenji (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ssuk.se/images/Basenji.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ssuk.se/medlemsorg.htm&h=487&w=416&sz=46&tbnid=GViosSnOM3UJ:&tbnh=125&tbnw=107&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbasenji%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D) and a dachshund. When they want out the back door, they usually get all excited because of the dogs next door, so by the time I get the door open, they've got a good head of steam - they run across the deck and jump down the step, instead of walking.

The basenii, because of her longer legs, usuallly goes first. She looks like an elegant little deer in flight, legs neatly tucked up.

The dachsie looks rather like an out of control blimp. I sometimes think that the only thing that keeps him from spinning in flight is that his ears fly out and act as stabilizers. He doesn't tuck his legs up (not that there's much way to notice) but keeps them out, like fixed landing gear.

Guinastasia
05-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Lol, just for a ton of fun I have to answer this! My puppy (8 months old) is exactly 1/2 beagle and 1/2 dachshund. She kicks ass! ;) She has the ears of the beagle, the color of the beagle, the nose of the beagle...and the freakin' agility of the Mountain Lion! ;) I swear that this dog can jump higher than any dog that I've ever had! She's a great camping companion but somehow the beagle part of her takes effect every once in a while and she's gone for a bit. As for the most aerodynamic? She's only half weiner...but she's hell on wheels!...(if she had some).

I don't call her a beagle or a dachsund....she's a deagle. If she weren't fixed I'd sell her offspring for a billion dollars a pup! ;)

-K

Does she have a tail that sort of curls into a loop? My aunt and uncle had the exact same mix. Misty was the most adorable little dog you'd ever run across.

(I suspect she was also part goat-she once ate a pair of saw blades my uncle had lying out while he was working on something.)

chappachula
05-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I just gotta say :
"Aerodynamic dogs"........................... .........=BAND NAME!!!!

this thread has the best opening title since "ventriloquist dummy nipple question"

inkleberry
05-14-2005, 12:33 PM
not that im going to fire one out of a pnumatic cannon that i have in my garage or anything, just wondering, that's all.

Buttered, shaved, or fully-furred? In water, on land, or by catapult? With ears hanging loose, or tied back?

The details matter.

Northern Piper
05-14-2005, 01:50 PM
A guy I work with was at one of the Sydney parks that sits on top of a cliff at the ocean. He (and lots of others) saw a Red Setter chasing seagulls run straight over the edge of the cliff and plummet to it's death. Does that count?I think this is more of an illustration of the cranial capacity of Red Setters than their aerodynamic qualities.

Washoe
05-14-2005, 04:52 PM
What diameter of PVC pipe would I use to make a dachshund launcher?

Digital Stimulus
05-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, our dachshunds are pretty aerodynamic. Lying down, their legs tuck underneath such that they almost can't be seen. And they have long, pointy noses. On the other hand, their nostrils (no different from other dogs) are right on the front of their noses, which I'd think catch in the air. Also, their ears stick out pretty far from their head; they won't stick their heads out the car window because they flap around so much.

At any rate, hold on a sec....

** Tosses book from my desk onto the couch. **
** Tosses compact disk from my desk onto the couch. **
** Tosses male dachshund from my lap onto the couch. **
** Tosses female dachshund from my lap onto the couch. **

Well, the male flies better than the female (most likely due to it's larger chest and hence more tapered backside), but neither is very graceful in mid-air. Both fly better than the book, which is now in pieces, as they felt the need to "kill it" while returning it to me. The CD, however, flew better than all of them, ending up behind the couch (that's one reason I never played football).

Thus, I can definitively say that testing the aerodynamicity of dachshunds results in the inability to listen to Eminem or read The 47 Ronin. :D

Bryan Ekers
05-14-2005, 07:03 PM
I think debating which is the most aerodynamic bred of dog is kind of like discussing which is the most loyal breed of cat; of academic interest only.

That said, I think the Jack Russel terrier has far better laminal flow than a dachshund.

stockton
05-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Google "ashley whippet" - the greatest frisbee dog that ever lived. Basically, the Michael Jordan of the canine set.

That dog could fly on her own - no cannon needed. Great dog.

Jonathan Chance
05-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm still holding out for greyhound or whippet. I think the added width of dachshund legs relative to the body work against the breed.

Surprisingly, a good 5 minutes of googling turns up no authoritative papers on the subject of dog aerodynamics. Disappointing that there's nothing in the literature.

Though look here. (http://encarta.msn.com/media_461526076/Greyhound_Race.html)

The third dog from the left is clearly getting in a very aerodynamic position during extension.

As a late addition, don't forget that a greyhounds ears will fold back onto its head almost perfectly while running. This removes that pesky 'earodynamic resistance' that curses other breeds.

scr4
05-14-2005, 07:33 PM
On the other hand, their nostrils (no different from other dogs) are right on the front of their noses, which I'd think catch in the air.
Actually, a hole in the center of the nose has very little effect on aerodynamics. IIRC it's the optimal position for an air intake.

You're probably right about the ears though. Smaller ears would be better, especially if they can be folded down (back) to minimize air resistance.

Digital Stimulus
05-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Actually, a hole in the center of the nose has very little effect on aerodynamics. IIRC it's the optimal position for an air intake.

While true, I just tested this. There seems to be some sort of blockage that prevents airflow out the back end. There was a small, sudden puff that doesn't seem related though, as I wasn't even blowing in Howzit's (that's the male dog) nostrils at the time. ;)

The vet can attest to the fact that it doesn't work from the back to the front end either. :D

Rick
05-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Having the air inlet at the oint of the nose has some advantages. At high speeds, the air will be forced into the weiner dog lungs, acting somewhat like a supercharger. Now if you could get the weiner dog to empty his lungs into his stomach, as the air passed through the digestive track, you could get a ram jet effect if you follow my drift. If you can't teach your weiner dog to breathe like that, a similar effect could be had by putting the weiner dog on a Mexican food diet. :eek:

CheapBastid
05-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm inclined to say the Basset Hound (http://www.insaneanimals.com/items/8.jpg).

lizardling
05-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Yep. Greyhounds, whippets, and so forth.

<semi-hijack>Out of curiosity, are greyhounds the fastest breed of dog, on average? I was poking around for some information on salukis the other day for a story that I'm working on, and apparently salukis can and do run down desert gazelles very nicely. They don't seem to be a well-known breed, however...</hijack>

Muffin
05-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Mine is not aerodynamic at all. We suspect she's part registered snack hound. I'm taking her out for some exercise right now.
A family friend had an obese wiener dog, so the vet told him to take it for a walk every evening after work.

So the fellow dutifully picked up the dog and carried it around the block every evening after work.

Jonathan Chance
05-15-2005, 06:30 PM
<semi-hijack>Out of curiosity, are greyhounds the fastest breed of dog, on average? I was poking around for some information on salukis the other day for a story that I'm working on, and apparently salukis can and do run down desert gazelles very nicely. They don't seem to be a well-known breed, however...</hijack>

In the stuff I've seen Greyhounds are the fastest dog breed. Like Salukis they were used (it's unknown if they were bred for it as the breed is goes back into the BC era) to bring down gazelle and such in Egypt.

The only two animals I've been told are faster are the cheetah and some form of deer/antelope.

FTR, the current record for a greyhound approaches 45 mph.

tofergregg
05-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Hmm. I don't really think crap is fast or jumpy. I'm actually very glad about that. :)

-Tofer