PDA

View Full Version : Pop Top Legend Rears Ugly Head

03-22-1999, 10:49 PM
The pop top legend still lives!! Just when I thought people had figured out once and for all this is a UL, along comes another misguided soul asking for pop top donations for their church. I thought about trying to get this person to understand that it makes more sense to recycle the whole freaking can than just the top, but instead decided conserve my energy.

03-23-1999, 11:22 AM
I hear you.
I used to work as a substitute teacher. In the office someone had rigged up a little box specifically for pop tops. No one knew this was a urban legand. Even more disturbing, no one questioned how/why saving pop cans could benefit anyone. Not wanting to look like a know-it-all, I kept my mouth shut.
BTW, the Micky-Mouse-LSD-sticker legand is still going strong too.

------------------

03-23-1999, 05:26 PM
Around here (ATL) a lot of school classes collect pop-tops to raise money by recycling. I am told they collect just the pop-tops instead of the entire can because the cans are dirty unless rinsed out which makes the tops easier to deal with.

------------------
.sig file missing --- (A)dlib, (R)etry, (F)ail?

Dennis Matheson --- tanstaafl@earthlink.net
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb --- home.earthlink.net/~tanstaafl (http://home.earthlink.net/~tanstaafl)

03-23-1999, 05:45 PM
Somebody at work wanted them for some organization. Said they were to buy time on kidney machines for orphaned kids.
Aluminum cans were selling for $.45 a lb. at the time.

JACK

03-23-1999, 06:25 PM
Seems like I remember pop tops being used in some sort of cheezy craft item. Maybe the craftsy folks pay a fortune for them. Remember, these are the same folks that buy old saw blades and ostrich egss...

------------------
The Trustworthy Troglodyte

03-23-1999, 11:21 PM
Maybe the craftsy folks pay a fortune for them.

Speaking of craftsy folks, do you remember the days when you used to be able to take the removable beer pull tabs and make a chain out of them. In my day (a zillion years ago) that was a pretty cool thing to have as a hat band.

03-24-1999, 02:03 AM
Speaking of craftsy folks, do you remember the days when you used to be able to take the removable beer pull tabs and make a chain out of them. In my day (a zillion years ago) that was a pretty cool thing to have as a hat band.

Hatband??? You piker! Now a curtain to separate the kitchen from the living room... THAT was cool.

------------------
Ranger Jeff
The Idol of American Youth

03-24-1999, 07:58 AM
<<The pop top legend still lives!! Just when I thought people had figured out once and for all this is a UL, along comes another misguided soul asking for pop top donations for their church.>>

The McDonald's in Pisgah, OH has a permanent collection box for pop tops. It benefits the Ronald McDonald house. I guess it's the case of anything is better than nothing. Of course, they're probably paying the dude more to take the time off to redeem them than they are getting in donations....

Personally, I just put my change in the Ronald McDonald collection basket. It really is a good cause.

03-24-1999, 08:30 AM
Hatband??? You piker! Now a curtain to separate the kitchen from the living room... THAT was cool.

JEFF, Jeff, jeff...
As I say this while hiding my head in same, my father (divorced from my mother since I was age four) had BEADS hanging in a doorway. They looked sort of like the colored necklaces you'd get at Marti Gras. He also had blood red long shag carpeting in his living room, one bedroom was painted bright yellow and had a five foot tall decal of Scooby Doo on one wall. "Why?", you ask? Because it was that way when he bought it! It was still that way when he died a couple of years ago. Imagine how much fun we had making that house ready for resale! Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Earth Tones" in the kitchen. Dark brown counter tops, brown cabinets... you get the picture.

YeeeOuch!!

Enright3

03-24-1999, 05:24 PM
....(M)y father...had BEADS hanging in a doorway. They looked sort of like the colored necklaces you'd get at Mardi Gras. He also had blood red long shag carpeting in his living room.

Help! We're trapped in a 70's sitcom! Did your dad also don sunglasses and an afro like "Johnny Bravo" aka Greg Brady?

Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Earth Tones" in the kitchen. Dark brown counter tops, brown cabinets...

In the appliance business we called those colors "Harvest Gold" or "Avocado Green." And don't laugh too hard, because, like bell bottoms, they're trying to make a come back. RUN FOR THE HILLS!

03-25-1999, 11:25 PM
Feh! to both the pop-top and bead crowds. I know a girl who has a necklace which appears to be made out of a thick metallic cord. On closer examination, however, it is revealed to be millions and millions of little circular orange sequins, being teeny disks with holes in the middle for the cord. Strung densely together, they form a cylinder. It was a souvenir which her mom brought back from Woodstock.

------------------
Blessed Be,
Matt McLauchlin
Montreal, Quebec

03-26-1999, 11:26 PM
Help! We're trapped in a 70's sitcom! Did your dad also don sunglasses and an afro like "Johnny Bravo" aka Greg Brady?
No, but he did have some really awesome leisure suits!

enright3

07-08-1999, 11:47 AM
I had a friend ask me to remove the tabs from my empty beer can for dialysis time. I told her that was an urban legend.

Boy did my wife bite my head off. It seems that her HS collected tabs about 12 years ago to benefit some nameless child. Also, the snowmobile club near her parents' home has a can near the door to collect them, giving it further credence. sigh

To top it off, I believe some aluminum company has started to donate money to kidney disease research when people come up to them with a bazillion pull tabs. This is of course for PR. They were probably tired of turning people away then having them blast them for their callousness. (They still would prefer that people turn in the whole can; there's about 50 times more aluminum in the can [of the same type as in the tab, contrary to the tab-pullers])

In case my wife ever brings up the subject, I have a pile of research about this being an urban legend. And just under that I have divorce papers, 'cuz she'll be mad at me for "having to be right all the time."

07-08-1999, 02:47 PM
Someone should really go over and tell that guy making the chain mail - pop-tops would be a cheap alternative to washers.

I ain't gonna do it.

07-08-1999, 03:43 PM
I think AWB hit it on the head -- the origin (pop tops for dialysis time) is an urban legend. But there are some companies and organizations that have run with that and decided to do nice things with or in exchange for pop tops. This tends to confuse the issue because now sometimes people asking for pop tops are doing it for "real" reasons, while other times they are just falling for an urban legend.

As far as the Mickey Mouse LSD and other work-related ones, see http://www.reall.org/newsletter/v03/n04/index.html for some of my experiences with such legends, both at work and, in one case, one being spread by the local sheriff and local news!

07-08-1999, 04:34 PM
This Snopes Page (http://snopes.simplenet.com/spoons/legends/pulltab.htm) explains how Reynolds Aluminum, McDonalds, and the Nat'l Kidney Foundation have dealt with this urban legend.

Is this now a "self-fulfilling urban legend"? If so, I'll go get a JATO rocket, attach it to my car, and plow myself into a mountain. 8-)

07-09-1999, 12:42 AM
AWB--you too? I'm still getting grief from my SigOther for debunking both the "Walt Disney Jr/Microsoft" spam-mail scam, and the dead midget in "The Wizard of Oz" legend.

07-09-1999, 12:49 AM
In the appliance business we called those colors "Harvest Gold" or "Avocado Green." And don't laugh too hard, because, like bell bottoms, they're trying to make a come back. RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Oh god. My whole childhood HOUSE was those two colors - Harvest Gold in the kitchen, and Avocado Green everywhere else. (Except my room was harvest gold for some reason.) Why would people want to bring them BACK?

07-09-1999, 11:13 AM
At the place where I work (we make temporary tattoos for kids; I add the LSD) we have a pop-top collection but I thought the money went to telephone-slot-HIV-needle-victims. Now I hear that the money goes to the families of those who are foolish enough to flash their headlights at oncoming cars. In my opinion, the alien abductees should get the money.

07-11-1999, 11:43 PM
Let us dispell this UL (Urban Legend) about saving aluminum pop tops by asking the NKF (National Kidney Foundation) ...

http://www.kidney.org/general/news/tabsoncans.cfm

NKF Dispels Pull Tabs For Dialysis Time Rumor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New York, N.Y., June 1, 1998 ó A false rumor that has plagued the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) and the aluminum industry for decades has recently resurfaced, perhaps fueled by the Internet.

Individuals and groups believe they can donate the pull tabs on aluminum cans in exchange for time on a kidney dialysis machine.

Such a program has never existed through the NKF, nor have there ever been programs through the foundation allowing people to exchange any type of item (box tops, product points, etc.) for time on dialysis.

However, it is important to note that some organizations not affiliated with the NKF do collect pull tabs to help raise funds for various causes.

False rumors about an NKF pull tab program have circulated throughout the country since the early 1970s.

Consequently, churches, community centers, schools and other groups have collected tabs and brought them to the NKF, only to find that they cannot be donated in exchange for a patient's dialysis time.

"We've recently seen a dramatic upswing in calls from people asking where they can exchange the aluminum pull tabs they've been collecting," says NKF Chairman Joe Brand.

"There's no such thing as a tabs-for-dialysis program. It wouldn't ever be necessary because Medicare typically pays for 80 percent of the cost of dialysis time, regardless of the age of the patient. Private insurance and state programs usually pay for the remaining 20 percent."

The NKF encourages people to recycle cans.

Individuals who would like to donate the funds they receive from recycling aluminum items such as beverage cans, pie plates, foil, frozen food, dinner trays, etc., should send a personal check to the NKF at 30 East 33rd Street, New York, N.Y., 10016; 800-622-9010.

Proceeds will be used to fund the foundation's patient programs, public and professional education, public policy initiatives and research.

The NKF is dedicated to preventing kidney and urinary tract diseases, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.

------------------

Terence in Marietta, GA

Be someone's hero

07-12-1999, 11:12 AM
Despite the risk of seeming like a know-it-all, I think it's important to debunk this stuff whenever you encounter it. If just a tiny minority of the people you enlighten develop a critical eye for this stuff the world will be a better place. Any reduction in the number of nonsensical reports circulating on the internet alone would be worthwhile! I have a standard "urban legend alert" e-mail (with a link to Snopes and a list of Jan Brunvand's books) that I return to people who send me this stuff. As for seeming like a know-it-all... well, I've had that rep for years and I guess I can live with it. Several of my friends started screening their new e-mail alerts through me before passing them on -- most recently I broke the chain on the payphone/LSD and Febreze/poison to pets things. And as for the worry that people will be irritated at having their favorite UL debunked -- well, I just remember the Straight Dope credo -- it's all about stamping out ignorance, not coddling the ignorant!

------------------
Jess
Full of 'satiable curtiosity

07-12-1999, 11:22 AM
Well said, Jess.

They're gonna believe what they want to believe, but that doesn't mean we aren't obligated to whack them with a rolled-up newspaper when they seek to infect others with their willful ignorance of the facts.

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Alright...Talk about ignorance, I haven't seen this many ignorant post on one thread in a while. The whole pop top thing is NOT an Urban Legend, I repeat Not AN URBAN LEGEND, however it has been stretched far beyond it's original purpose. BUT YOU CAN DONATE THEM TO THE RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE. Unlike the urban legend states, pop tabs do not support medical treatment of any kind including chemotherapy or dialysis; however, pop tabs do support the operations of Ronald McDonald Houses across the country. This popular fundraiser benefits seriously ill children by helping provide a place for them and their families to stay while they are out of town for medical treatment.

Recycling the tabs generates proceeds to donate to a local Ronald McDonald House. The tabs do not pay for treatment or night stays - only house operations. I read about one house that collected enough pop tabs in a year to put $8,000 toward operational costs. Nice!

Pop tabs are small and convenient to collect. Hundreds of thousands of pop tabs have been collected to benefit Ronald McDonald Houses.

AtomicDog
05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
The Ronald McDonald house would, pound for pound, be better off collecting pennies.
In other words, a penny is worth a lot more than a pop top.

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Alright...Talk about ignorance...... The whole pop top thing is not a complete UL, however it has been stretched far beyond it's original purpose. Unlike the urban legend states, pop tabs do not support medical treatment of any kind including chemotherapy or dialysis; however, pop tabs DO support the operations of Ronald McDonald Houses across the country. This popular fundraiser benefits seriously ill children by helping provide a place for them and their families to stay while they are out of town for medical treatment. Many families travel far from home to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children. Often, it can be a long time to be away from home, or to divide a family. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having their mom and dad close by for love and support.

Recycling the tabs generates proceeds to donate to a local Ronald McDonald House. The tabs do not pay for treatment or night stays - only house operations. I read about one house that collected enough pop tabs in a year to put $8,000 toward operational costs. Nice!

Pop tabs are small and convenient to collect. Hundreds of thousands of pop tabs have been collected to benefit Ronald McDonald Houses.

In case there are those of you who have not heard of the Ronald McDonald House, I will provide a link, or you can just goggle it.
http://rmhc.org/what-we-do/

billfish678
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I am a victim of this.

The SO believes it so I spend all my waking hours flexing those damn tabs off of cans. I wonder how many cents per hour I make doing this? Another one of those "does this make any sense?" calculations I need to make.

Half the time I flex the damn tabs off, put them back IN the can, then put the can in the recycle bin. Just so she doesnt see a damn can in the recycle bin that STILL has a tab on it and gives me shit about it.

Gahhhh...

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
The Ronald McDonald house would, pound for pound, be better off collecting pennies.
In other words, a penny is worth a lot more than a pop top.

They have collection jars at every McDonalds and several other areas and locations.....for a sick child every little bit helps

Derleth
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
They have collection jars at every McDonalds and several other areas and locations.....for a sick child every little bit helpsBut collecting something a bit more valuable would help more.

yoyodyne
05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
They have collection jars at every McDonalds and several other areas and locations.....for a sick child every little bit helps
It was a urban legend twelve years ago.

Rhythmdvl
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
While we're at it, here's a deeper cite from the RonMcDHouse page:

Why?
Ronald McDonald Houses collect pop tabs instead of entire aluminum cans because it's more hygenic to store tabs than cans, and collection and storage is easier. The program is an easy way for people of all ages to support RMHC and know they are making a difference for families and children. (http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/pop-tab-collections/)

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
But collecting something a bit more valuable would help more.

They have collection jars for MONEY ~sigh~ you know the thing right below the drive in window with the cash in, thats what it is for. You take the pop tops to the center or mail them in. You can also send them to the Shriners and they will take care of it. I dont know if the Moose lodges or Elks clubs do the same, but most often they will even pick them up for convenience, also your local bar probably collects them, so you could drop them off there as well

Little Nemo
05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Alright...Talk about ignorance, I haven't seen this many ignorant post on one thread in a while.About twelve years?

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
About twelve years?

This thread is only 2 years old from my understanding. I thought that was a bit rude, so I tried to edit it out but it wouldn't let me so I just reposted and added a small link. I am not here to be rude or unkind I only want to shed a little more light on the whole pop top thing, and with as many responses to the post as I have gotten and I only posted maybe 20-30 min ago...I at least know people are reading it :) and maybe would like to help the organization, its not hard to rip off a pop top and throw them in an old coffee can stashed under the sink until you feel as if you have enough to take in

running coach
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
The last post was 7-12-1999, that's more than twelve years.

Rhythmdvl
05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
They have collection jars for MONEY ~sigh~ you know the thing right below the drive in window with the cash in, thats what it is for. You take the pop tops to the center or mail them in. You can also send them to the Shriners and they will take care of it. I dont know if the Moose lodges or Elks clubs do the same, but most often they will even pick them up for convenience, also your local bar probably collects them, so you could drop them off there as well

Another cite from the same page:

Where?

If your local Ronald McDonald House participates in the program, itís likely cardboard collection containers in the shape of a house have been distributed to schools, community and civic groups and other organizations in your area. Collect pop tabs to drop off at one of these areas, or contact your local House about getting a collection container that you can be responsible for filling through one of your own groups. (http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/pop-tab-collections/)

Note all the suggested locations are non-McDonald's places. I wonder if it has something to do with bringing in (potentially) unhygienic items (not that the huddled masses are any better) into a restaurant [sic].

This_is_Reality
05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
The last post was 7-12-1999, that's more than twelve years.

rofl so much for me paying attention to thread dates hehe lol :) I just came across this thread by accident and apparently revived it yay I feel special lol

Jragon
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I think this delay between OP and reply may be a board record :p.

billfish678
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Great....

So I am being boned by both the UL AND a zombie thread...I sure hope someone is using protection...

Harmonious Discord
05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Pop Top Legend Rears Ugly Head

Speaking of rearing it's ugly head after you thought something was dead.

Sally Mander
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Recycling the tabs....

Why not recycle the whole can, and donate the proceeds to the Ronald McDonald house? Surely you'd get more money for the whole can than just the top.

whiterabbit
05-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I think this sets a record for the oldest zombie.

At least it isn't so old it's talking about the sharp-edged pull-off tabs that were on cans back in my parents' youths.

Chronos
05-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Given that this thread is so old that the names have disappeared out of the database, perhaps it should be closed and the discussion moved to a new thread?

sitchensis
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Imagine the internet in another twenty years. Someone is going to have to hire a maid just to spruce up a little.

digs
05-10-2011, 11:58 PM
...or a newscaster to read our awesome posts from the 00's live on the air!

SeaDragonTattoo
05-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Why not recycle the whole can, and donate the proceeds to the Ronald McDonald house? Surely you'd get more money for the whole can than just the top.

While the zombie reviver gave us a link, here's the actual page on pop tab collections and why they prefer it that way. (http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/pop-tab-collections/) If you were so inclined to just send stuff instead of money from your own labor doing recycling yourself.

So much for urban legends.

Nava
05-11-2011, 02:01 AM
As per the quote in post 30, the reason RMcD accepts tabs in the US is one of marketing: since accepting the tabs makes customers feel good about themselves and isn't a huge hassle for McD, they'll do it.

They don't obtain a direct economic benefit, but an indirect one by allowing people to *cough* contribute *cough* in a way that makes those people feel good and therefore associate "McD" with "feeling good". If having a box for used batteries made customers feel good, McD would have a box for used batteries.

In countries where the UL never took root, McD doesn't collect tabs.

Spoons
05-11-2011, 02:19 AM
In countries where the UL never took root, McD doesn't collect tabs.They don't collect tabs here, though McD's are happy to take donations to the local Ronald McDonald House (which we do have here). They'll take small change and bills, through drop-boxes in every McDonald's.

I've never seen a receptacle for pop-can tabs here, in McDonald's or otherwise. Yet, people who haven't yet read the Snopes article (http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp) seem to think that pop tabs are something valuable. They're not. You are better off redeeming the entire can for its deposit value, then donating your redemption to whatever charity you think deserves it: Ronald McDonald House, the Humane Society, a local children's hospital, a church or synagogue or mosque, whatever.

Fear Itself
05-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Why not recycle the whole can, and donate the proceeds to the Ronald McDonald house? Surely you'd get more money for the whole can than just the top.Of course it would, but the McDonalds campaign is merely capitalizing on the urban legend that Will. Not. Die.

There are is certain percentage of the public who believe everything that goes through their inbox, and since we can't stop them from saving pop-tops, McDonalds figures why not at least give them an outlet that does some good, even if it is not as productive as recycling the whole can. They are going to do it anyway.

anson2995
05-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Of course it would, but the McDonalds campaign is merely capitalizing on the urban legend that Will. Not. Die.

There are is certain percentage of the public who believe everything that goes through their inbox, and since we can't stop them from saving pop-tops, McDonalds figures why not at least give them an outlet that does some good, even if it is not as productive as recycling the whole can. They are going to do it anyway.

But the reality is it doesn't do any good at all, other than to sustain the illusion of helping in lieu of actually helping. According to the article at snopes (http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp), 100 tabs are worth about 3.5 cents. When you factor in the cost of transporting to a recycler, it's likely a net loss for McDonalds.

There are ways that you really can help. Baloney like this re-directs people's efforts into nonsense.

billfish678
05-11-2011, 08:48 AM
According to the article at snopes[/URL], 100 tabs are worth about 3.5 cents. .

So, if I can break a tab off every three seconds I can earn a whopping 42 cents an hour. If I am really working fast I might even break the one dollar an hour barrier.

Darth Panda
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=;43642]I had a friend ask me to remove the tabs from my empty beer can for dialysis time. I told her that was an urban legend.

[QUOTE]

This is less of a zombie thread and more of a ghost thread - the forms of the posters have decayed so much that they can't even be quoted properly.

UltraVires
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
.....for a sick child every little bit helps

But you are missing the point. "Every little bit" is fine, but when there are more efficient uses of time, then McDonalds should encourage the better way. Instead of wasting 20 minutes tearing off pop tops for 20 cents to help a child, then use that 20 minutes to stomp aluminum cans and drop those off at the recycling center the next time you drive by. Write a check for that amount to Ronald McDonald House.

Work for its own sake is not productive.

Fear Itself
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
But you are missing the point. "Every little bit" is fine, but when there are more efficient uses of time, then McDonalds should encourage the better way. Instead of wasting 20 minutes tearing off pop tops for 20 cents to help a child, then use that 20 minutes to stomp aluminum cans and drop those off at the recycling center the next time you drive by. Write a check for that amount to Ronald McDonald House.

Work for its own sake is not productive.The work is going to occur whether McDonalds encourages it or not. They are just turning it into a productive outlet, however small.

Greg Charles
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
100 tabs are worth about 3.5 cents.

This_is_reality, do you want to revise your argument of "ignorance" in light of this statistic? Specifically, it means that nearly a quarter of a million tops would have to have been wrested off a quarter of a million cans to make up that $8000 you said was raised for one McDonald's House. I also don't take issue with your claim that they're convenient to collect, because, you know, they're riveted onto the cans!

Fear Itself
05-11-2011, 03:23 PM
This_is_reality, do you want to revise your argument of "ignorance" in light of this statistic? Specifically, it means that nearly a quarter of a million tops would have to have been wrested off a quarter of a million cans to make up that $8000 you said was raised for one McDonald's House. I also don't take issue with your claim that they're convenient to collect, because, you know, they're riveted onto the cans!No, they are not rivetted on the cans; they have been removed by idiots who believe their email. Which a better use for 250,000 pop-tops: $8,000 for RMH, or taking up space in the landfill?

kenobi 65
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
A friend of mine manages a small wildlife sanctuary and nature center. For as long as I've known him (over 15 years), his nature center has collected pull-tabs. Given some of the info provided here, I do wonder how much they've actually made from that.

Rhythmdvl
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
No, they are not rivetted on the cans; they have been removed by idiots who believe their email. Which a better use for 250,000 pop-tops: $8,000 for RMH, or taking up space in the landfill?

Can (heh) anyone with access to a soda can and better math skills figure out the volume of 250,000 pop-tops? A 50-gallon drum? A semi-truck?

enalzi
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Can (heh) anyone with access to a soda can and better math skills figure out the volume of 250,000 pop-tops? A 50-gallon drum? A semi-truck?

Stand back people, rough math in progress.

I measured a pop-tab I had, it was approximately 2.5 cm x 1.5 cm x .1 cm. To make things simple, I ignored the rounded edges and just considered it as a cube .375 cubic cm.

With onlineconversion.com
.375 cm^3 x 250000 = 93750 cm^3 = about 3 cubic feet = about 24 gallons, assuming everything is perfectly packed.

I remember back in middle school and in high school with had gallons jugs for pop tabs. We had soda/juice machines, so it wasn't any extra work, just throw your tab in the container. We filled up about 2 containers a year (and we weren't that big of a school). Consider a whole bunch of schools doing that and it can raise a whole bunch of money for doing "nothing."

Now someone please come along and show how wrong my math was.

UltraVires
05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't doubt the math, but something doesn't seem right. Let's pack them light to make it around a barrel. Would someone pay $8000 for a barrel of pop-tops?

Rhythmdvl
05-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't doubt the math, but something doesn't seem right. Let's pack them light to make it around a barrel. Would someone pay $8000 for a barrel of pop-tops?

What's the recycling value of three cubic feet of aluminum?

Dahnlor
05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Another thought that comes to mind is that removing the tab doesn't affect the redemption value in states that require a deposit. So you can still recycle your can for the full 5 cent deposit while giving Ronald McDonald House a tiny bit extra.

yoyodyne
05-12-2011, 07:58 AM
What's the recycling value of three cubic feet of aluminum?Three cubic feet of solid aluminum is about 500 pounds. 500 pounds of aluminum cans is worth about $250.

Rhythmdvl
05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Three cubic feet of solid aluminum is about 500 pounds. 500 pounds of aluminum cans is worth about $250.

Which, properly invested at about 4%, will yield $8,000 in only 86 years.

ETA: Or, if this is all based on ~24 gallons, wouldn't that be ~6 cubic feet per 55 gallon drum, or about 16 drum-fulls?

Wait, that's not quite right. 2x24 is 48, not 55... how does that work out? I can do it eventually, but not within the edit window (yes, my math skills are very slow).

yoyodyne
05-12-2011, 08:28 AM
A 55-gallon drum is 7.3 cubic feet, so if solid Al about 1233 lbs, or about $675 for that weight in cans. Impossible to get that much weight of actual cans into the drum though.

The Man In Black
05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
My dad used to work with a guy who would ask people to save the can tabs. I think he said it was for a relatives kidney dialysis. Was this BS then?

DJ Motorbike
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
My dad used to work with a guy who would ask people to save the can tabs. I think he said it was for a relatives kidney dialysis. Was this BS then?

How could it be anything other than BS?

ETA: You're better off trying to help find the cure for Boneitis.

anson2995
05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
The work is going to occur whether McDonalds encourages it or not. They are just turning it into a productive outlet, however small.

No. No. No. No. No.

It costs more for McDonald's to collect, store, ship, and redeem these tabs than they can possibly get back in scrap value. McDonald's is willing to absorb that cost because it generates some small amount of publicity for their charitable program.

The snopes article talks about a group in Canada who collected over a million tabs, then couldn't find anyone willing to take them or even to pay the cost of transporting them. Imagine the effort it took to collect that many tabs. Dozens, maybe hundred of people participating... pulling them off, bagging them, collecting them, taking them to a central location... for months. All of that energy could have been put to a productive use -- say, collecting pennies, or passing out flyers, or anything that would have actually generated some actual result.

The only payoff for collecting tabs is a possible Idiot Dividend -- when someone feels so sorry for your misguided efforts that *they* make a donation so you don't realize what a complete idiot you are.

And even that can be had with far less effort.

Fear Itself
05-13-2011, 10:26 AM
All of that energy could have been put to a productive use -- say, collecting pennies, or passing out flyers, or anything that would have actually generated some actual result.That is a rather pointless observation. The idiots who believe their email will continue to remove pop-tops, no matter how often you wish they didn't act like idiots. If you cannot accept the McDonalds effort as a making charitable plus out of their idiocy, then look at it as recycling aluminum that would otherwise end up in a landfill. We spend countless dollars and manhours to reduce our trash stream, without any direct economic payback whatsoever.

Sparky812
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I thought this thread was about Ryan Seacrest calling Lady Gaga "a modern day legend" last night!?

Whatever that means, I'm not even sure that's possible!

kenobi 65
05-13-2011, 11:25 AM
then look at it as recycling aluminum that would otherwise end up in a landfill.

Only if the rest of the aluminum can would *also* have gone into a landfill. At least half of all aluminum cans in the U.S. get recycled.
http://www.aluminum.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=30442&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

anson2995
05-13-2011, 11:50 AM
That is a rather pointless observation. The idiots who believe their email will continue to remove pop-tops, no matter how often you wish they didn't act like idiots. If you cannot accept the McDonalds effort as a making charitable plus out of their idiocy, then look at it as recycling aluminum that would otherwise end up in a landfill. We spend countless dollars and manhours to reduce our trash stream, without any direct economic payback whatsoever.

It's probably not a charitable plus because McDonald's is paying money for the privilege of accepting the tabs. If there's any gain, it's that they leverage this to raise awareness of their charity.

And once collected, those tabs would end up in the recycle flow with or without McDonalds.

If McDonalds wasn't doing this I'll concede that some folks would continue to collect the tabs, and that most who stopped wouldn't put their efforts to a more productive use. But some undoubtedly would, especially the less passive large scale campaigns.

gotpasswords
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Right now, Sprite has a promo with Habitat For Humanity. Collect and mail green tabs from Sprite and Sprite Zero cans, and Sprite will send ten cents per tab (up to $500,000) to Habitat.

More info is at http://www.spritesparkparks.com/get_involved/

gazpacho
05-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Right now, Sprite has a promo with Habitat For Humanity. Collect and mail green tabs from Sprite and Sprite Zero cans, and Sprite will send ten cents per tab (up to $500,000) to Habitat.

More info is at http://www.spritesparkparks.com/get_involved/So very very lame. What a waste of postage. Sprite is not going to count the green tabs. They are going to give $500,000 to Habitat for Humanity no matter how much postage people waste. I hate these things.

Folacin
05-13-2011, 01:57 PM
No, they are not rivetted on the cans; they have been removed by idiots who believe their email. Which a better use for 250,000 pop-tops: $8,000 for RMH, or taking up space in the landfill?

Depending on how perfectly the non-recycled can in question is crushed, the pop-top is likely not taking up any extra landfill space.

Munch
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
So very very lame. What a waste of postage. Sprite is not going to count the green tabs. They are going to give $500,000 to Habitat for Humanity no matter how much postage people waste. I hate these things.

Maybe they're hoping people are sending in checks along with the tab?

Fear Itself
05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
And once collected, those tabs would end up in the recycle flow with or without McDonalds. .How do you figure?

Fear Itself
05-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Depending on how perfectly the non-recycled can in question is crushed, the pop-top is likely not taking up any extra landfill space.The cans in question have no pop-tops, having been removed by email boobs, in the mistaken belief that they can pay for dialysis.