PDA

View Full Version : Ladies - big veins..yay or nay?

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 12:26 AM
I have ginormous veins in my arms and hands that are very visible when I'm either drunk or very hot. A lot of people seem to profess disgust with super visible veins, but to tell you the truth, I'm kind of proud of them.

So...what say you to prominent veins? Are they gross, or do you kind of like them?

lorinada
07-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Neutral.

mischievous
07-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Yummy. Especially in a technician.

mischievous

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 01:06 AM
In a technician? Can you explain that?

Mudshark
07-16-2005, 01:07 AM
My girlfriend thinks mthey are hot...especially mine.

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Girlfriends don't count. They're biased. Mine tells me the same thing and I'm not entirely sure she'd say that the 2 foot goiter I have growing out of my throat is unsexy.

mischievous
07-16-2005, 01:19 AM
In a technician? Can you explain that?Ummm..I thought I remembered you being a lab technician in an ER? So I was trying to throw in a joke. If I'm wrong, then it bombed entirely. Sorry.

Nonetheless, I do like big viens.

mischievous

Sarah Woodruff
07-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Veins over nicely shaped muscles are hot.

The only veins that kinda gross me out (in people of both sexes) are those thick bulgy neck veins some people have. Makes them look like their heads will explode any second.

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 01:21 AM
uhhh...TECHNICIAN??? What an insult! I am a technologist, my fair lady! In any case, that is the first thought that ran through my head, but I didn't know if you knew that about me or not. Sorry.

mischievous
07-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Wow! Technologists* with big viens are way hotter than mere technicians! I didn't even think I was qualified** to talk with a technologist! :D

mischievous

*Please tell me you made this word up. If it is a real job title I'm going to have to bang my head against a wall.

**M. A., M. Phil., Ph. D., thankyouverymuch. But not a technologist :(

betenoir
07-16-2005, 01:53 AM
I associate prominate veins with thin, wirey arms with well definded muscles.

Therefore, very hot.

Otherwise I think "He'd be a good junkie if he ever decided to go that way.."

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Hahahaha! It's totally a real word and there is a definite difference between a tecnician and a technologist.

Technician: Runs the analyzers but is not qualified to interpret the results that come off of it.

Technologist: Can run the analyzers, but mostly interprets results and makes sure the results are ok, that the machine is not lying.

This public service message brought to you by KrapKo. "At Krapko, we kare"

mischievous
07-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, consider my ignorance fought. If you care, I remember you from an excellent "don't make routine bloodwork STAT, you morons" rant from a while back. Sorry about the hijack.

mischievous

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Also, you are overqualified to talk to a technolgist. I don't think I'm qualified to talk to you. Therefore this post wil end..............now.

Batsinma Belfry
07-16-2005, 03:12 AM
My husband has big ones in his hands. I don't mind them, but what really creeps me out, is those muscle guys with the huge veins poking out of their arms.

::twitch::

Broomstick
07-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Seeing that I have rather prominent veins in my hands and feet myself I don't feel I can find fault with out folks having them.

They don't do much for me either way, though - they're just there

xbuckeye
07-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Hands and feet...A-OK. Forehead, neck, upper arms, other weird places...not so much. I have the whole hand, wrist vein thing and I think that it actually makes my hands look a little manly (not the look I'm going for). Also, if they are prominent because you are a Fleshless Wonder (all your tendons and bones stick out too), have a hamburger and I'll have to think about it.

AngelicGemma
07-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm not a big fan, but I'm not likely to run away screaming either.

lavenderviolet
07-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Yep, maybe it's because I used to do blood draws in a hospital, but I do tend to admire nice, big veins on a guy's arms and hands. :)

EleventyOne
07-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Seeing that I have rather prominent veins in my hands and feet myself I don't feel I can find fault with out folks having them.

They don't do much for me either way, though - they're just there
I have 'em too, so it'd be silly of me to be grossed out by some guy's veins.

On the contrary; I've noticed that when my guy's been hitting the dumbells regularly, his veins stick out more. So that's a plus - not the veins themselves, but what they indicate he's been doing. Rrrowwrr...

Also, if they are prominent because you are a Fleshless Wonder (all your tendons and bones stick out too), have a hamburger and I'll have to think about it.I beg your pardon. Silly me, here I've been, fighting to gain weight all my life, if for nothing else but to avoid the occasional (unfounded) accusations of anorexia, and it turns out all I had to do was eat a single hamburger. Thank you, I suppose I should go try that. That McDonald, 'ee is a miracle worker, no?

Queen Tonya
07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Aren't guy veins always more prominent than girl veins? I had this association that it was a 'manly' type attribute somehow, probably from Red Cross nurses comments I think.

Right or wrong, I associate big visible veins with guys, so nope, not unattractive just masculine.

AskNott
07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
"You're so vein, I bet you think this song is about you."--Carly Simon :p

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Although some girls have somewhat prominent veins they are not in the same class as what will henceforth be known as "MAN VEINS!". Take mine, for instance. If I use my left hand to choke my right bicep and pump my fist vigorously, my "MAN VEINS!" will pump up so big that you could move the ones in the crook of my elbow and on top of my hands by poking them. They slither under the skin like big green snakes. This is the part when people claim to profess disgust with my "MAN VEINS!" but strangely, the more swollen my veins get the more pride I have in the veins. Then I'm chasing my guests around the living room:

"Lookit this bastard! Ho-leeeeeeeeeee shit! Look! Look at it! I bet I could just about fit my pinky in there!"

"Oh wow! Look at this one! Touch it! It moves! C'mon, see if you can get it to go under that other big mother over there, who I've just named 'Victor McVeinenstein, Jr."

......and then another cocktail party ends abruptly.

ZipperJJ
07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
I like 'em, especially in the hands, because my dad has big "strong, manly veins".

Unfortunately I have them myself, along with big man hands. I occasionally think they're cool because they make me look strong and I like to feel strong. Unless I am wanting to feel pretty in which case I stop short at the hands.

Cat Whisperer
07-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Yep, maybe it's because I used to do blood draws in a hospital, but I do tend to admire nice, big veins on a guy's arms and hands. :)
I am like this also (from back in the day when I was a Registered TECHNOLOGIST :D ) - "Ooh, nice veins." I mean that sincerely.

Um, OP - oh yeah, big veins on guys is kinda hot, actually. And chasing people around the room with them would be very entertaining at MY kind of cocktail party.

Kythereia
07-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Eh. *shrugs*

Ashes, Ashes
07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
my "MAN VEINS!" will pump up so big that you could move the ones in the crook of my elbow and on top of my hands by poking them. They slither under the skin like big green snakes.
Eeeeew! Lemmee poke at 'em-- poke poke. Actually my dad had them and called the ones on the back of his hands 'ol' turkey veins.' They were fascinating, though I was eight, and find myself more neutral these days. The only veins I find a bit icky are the ones on ginormous over-developed steroid usin' weight lifting addicts. Otherwise, how could you really object to what helps keep your average healthy guy alive?

EleventyOne
07-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Although some girls have somewhat prominent veins they are not in the same class as what will henceforth be known as "MAN VEINS!". Take mine, for instance. If I use my left hand to choke my right bicep and pump my fist vigorously, my "MAN VEINS!" will pump up so big that you could move the ones in the crook of my elbow and on top of my hands by poking them. They slither under the skin like big green snakes.
Er, I hate to pop your MAN-bubble and admit this, but I can do this too. And I am most certainly not a man. And, I don't generally like to draw that much attention to them at cocktail parties.

Nunavut Boy
07-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Really? I had no idea. Now that you mention it, I've never had a 'vein comparing competition' with any ladies, just dudes.

But it's too late. I already royally decreed that they'll be henceforth known as "MAN VEINS!"

Telperien
07-16-2005, 05:33 PM
I think big veins are kind of neat. I always want to poke them, but must refrain, because people generally don't like that sort of thing.

Antigen
07-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I like when a man has good strong man-hands, and since man-hands usually have nice juicy veins, I like them just fine.

I can also respect them from a professional point of view, since I am one year (and a couple of certification exams) away from being a medical technologist myself. When you put the tourniquet on and the veins just leap out at you, it's beautiful.

But the giant freaky Rambo arm or neck veins, that look like roundworms slithering just under the skin, are disgusting.

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
07-16-2005, 08:10 PM
My dad has a big vein on the back of his hand, and when I was little it totally fascinated me to squish all the blood out of it, then watch it pop right back up.

As for myself, my veins don't pop out at all (you can see them, though, because I'm really pale). Neither do my bones or tendons. Instead of having bony knuckles, I have dimples. I have the hands of a ten year old.

Sarah Woodruff
07-16-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, this is going to sound weird, but I discovered a few years ago that I have veins on the *soles* of my feet. If I sit barefoot with my legs curled up on a chair, I can see this series of little green veins on the underside of the arches of my feet.

Mutant me!

Sunspace
07-16-2005, 10:04 PM
:: assumes deep manly voice ::

I too am a technologist*, and I have prominent veins on my... hands.

:D

*What's the difference between a technologist and an engineer? According to my friend, who was describing someone who was doing pretty much what I do for a living, but was an engineer: about $30,000 a year. :(

Among Canadian engineering people, anyways, a technologist is a graduate of a three-year engineering program at a community college. Technicians graduate from two-year programs at community colleges. Engineers graduate from four-year programs at universities.

:: ponders return to gym, to enhance his veinliness ::

Dark Side of the Floyd
07-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, especially guitarists.

psycat90
07-17-2005, 03:21 AM
My husband (who is also a medical technologist) is really into veins. Or, at least he always notices them, especially mine.

It's kinda weird. We could be walking along somewhere holding hands, and he'll look at my arms or my hands and say something along the lines of 'great veins!'

Ummmm, thanks?

I don't care one way or the other, it's not something I look for, and it's not something that turns me off, either.

mischievous
07-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Ye Gods! There are all sorts of you "technologists" out there! And I bet you all have veins, too! How is it that I've never heard the word before?

Maybe we should change the titles of the technicians in my lab? I'm thinking something really cool sounding, like "techniquifyer" or something. They certainly deserve mad props.

mischievous

Anastasaeon
07-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Yay!

Glassy
07-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I've always been extremely attracted to men with very little body fat. (Not bone skinny, you know, but with no layer of cushion between the skin and the muscles and veins and ribs and stuff.) So for me, visible veins = manly and sexy.

Glassy (not a technologist of any kind)

Cat Whisperer
07-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Way back when, when I was a technologist, it seems to me that we discussed how medical technologists are called technicians in the States, for some reason. Maybe the differentiation between technologists and technicians is a Canadian thing.

delphica
07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Female here, and I'm grossed out by my own veins. I don't have the sticky-out kind, but I have very pale skin so the blue veins look like a road map, which I think is a big "Ew." I don't mind them on guys, but every once in a while, they remind me of my own icky veins, and I don't like thinking about that. So I would say that I like the overall package of a guy with nice strong arms where you can see the veins, but if I was to focus on the individual vein, up close and personal-like, I'd be grossed out. Also, there's a uniformity issue. A lone vein is weird and gross. Even distribution of veins is key.

xbuckeye
07-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I beg your pardon. Silly me, here I've been, fighting to gain weight all my life, if for nothing else but to avoid the occasional (unfounded) accusations of anorexia, and it turns out all I had to do was eat a single hamburger. Thank you, I suppose I should go try that. That McDonald, 'ee is a miracle worker, no?
Me thinks you need to chill a little. Whether or not you do or don't have a medical condition really doesn't matter, the point I was trying to make (and several other people have made) is that it depends on why your veins stick out. IMHO, if you are ultra thin, I find you less attractive than someone with a more normal (not average) body build. Just like everyone else who said that the body-builder veins are less than attractive, I find the extreme opposite also unattractive. If you are otherwise attractive, and aren't ultra skinny due to some sort of mental issue with body image, a little thin is something I could work with. Hence, the remark about 'have a hamburger and I'll think about it' I never intended to imply that a hamburger would magically add 30# of bodyweight. Chill, dude, chill...its all gonna be OK.

elfkin477
07-18-2005, 07:38 AM
I'll chime in on the "it's gross" side, if we're talking hands. The sight of visiable viens on anyone's hands upset me, especially my own (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=5925510&highlight=veins#post5925510). I don't know how I'm going to handle getting to be older with ropy veins on the back of my hands ::shudder::

Everywhere else veins aren't so bad if you can just see them under the skin, but sticking out is kind of disturbing too.

EleventyOne
07-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Me thinks you need to chill a little. Whether or not you do or don't have a medical condition really doesn't matter, the point I was trying to make (and several other people have made) is that it depends on why your veins stick out. IMHO, if you are ultra thin, I find you less attractive than someone with a more normal (not average) body build. Just like everyone else who said that the body-builder veins are less than attractive, I find the extreme opposite also unattractive. If you are otherwise attractive, and aren't ultra skinny due to some sort of mental issue with body image, a little thin is something I could work with. Hence, the remark about 'have a hamburger and I'll think about it' I never intended to imply that a hamburger would magically add 30# of bodyweight. Chill, dude, chill...its all gonna be OK.
Eh. I was having a PMSy day when I wrote that. I just get tired of seeing the "oh, just eat a hamburger, would you?" line from people who seem to think that that's actual useful advice for people they deem are too skinny. It's not advice, it's a lazy kind of criticism, and it's getting stale because I've read or heard it used so many times. I'm sorry I snapped at you if I misinterpreted the way you meant it, but dammit, it's getting old.

I've seen that similar "clever" phrases like "Put down the donut and back away slowly" aimed at overweight people are not very well tolerated around here. The same doesn't appear to be true for the other end of the weight spectrum. And seeing the issue tossed here into a thread that isn't really about thin people at all, with the additional snarky phrase "Fleshless Wonder," set me off, so I responded.

I don't want to hijack this further, so we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread on, uh, veins. Yeah, that's what it was about, wasn't it?